Is there swell in Phuket ?

benh's picture
benh started the topic in Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 12:48am

I am heading off to Phuket, Thailand in mid November for a 6 day work conference and after doing a quick search on the net I have come a cross a few websites stating that there are in fact waves around Phuket, as much as I am looking forward to our CEO and Board bang on about how good they are I am going to try and sneak in a couple of sessions. Just wondering has any one surfed this area and how it stacks up. Also is it worth taking your own board or are you better off just renting one over there?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 2:04am

Here you go Ben. Quik sponsor the Thailand Surf Competition, which I think is part of the ISC (the Indonesian tour). Doesn't look too flash, but then it probably beats listening to the CEO banging on.

benh's picture
benh's picture
benh Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 3:40am

Thanks Stunet

Yeah it doesn’t really scream “going off’ having said that it doesn’t look much different to the grovel I had out the front this morning. As they say beggars can’t be choosers, Thanks for the links.

more's picture
more's picture
more Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 6:06am

yep, there's waves, not great but I have been 3 times and surfed every time...definitely worth a paddle but dont take a board, just hire something at Kata beach, make sure you barter for the hire price....if ya wanna know more about the breaks, check saltwater dreaming...or pm me and I could give you a bit of info.....its just wind swell but I have surfed worse here in Summer for sure...

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 6:35am

MORE than just windswell,when ments is maxing ,large swells travel around and thru the small gaps between nicobar, andaman islands,then the phuket points start to work 6-7 ft not uncommon,more so april to sept november unsure,but with monsoonal activity happening in bay of bengal andaman sea who knows.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011 at 10:52am

Not sure on actual setups . But there is a high chance of storms within Bay of Bengal starting late next week as The MJO passes from East of Africa to Central- Eastern Indian Equatorial waters . Good Luck . And take photo's .

benh's picture
benh's picture
benh Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 at 10:08am

Thanks all for the tips, Southey dont know about the photos as the end of The Hangover 2 keeps running through my mind. Will put up a post once I'm over there.

Bangkok has him now

sorg's picture
sorg's picture
sorg Thursday, 27 Oct 2011 at 12:55pm

Hey Benh.... i went a year ago or so and scored some really fun waves... busted my chin open and recieved 10 stiches too!
Not sure where you are staying but IF you do happen to get some swell, there is a right hander all the way down the west end of Patong beach called patong point that is really really fun... youll see it as you start riding/driving up the hill...good luck!

longinus's picture
longinus's picture
longinus Friday, 28 Oct 2011 at 6:43am

A few pics of the best set ups I found here: http://www.surfingatlas.com/division/641 its pretty marginal though - definetly wait to hire a board. If its flat go and check out the Ladyboy Bars or something :)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 28 Oct 2011 at 8:32am

I couldn't see any pics on that link....

longinus's picture
longinus's picture
longinus Monday, 31 Oct 2011 at 4:02am
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 31 Oct 2011 at 5:45am

You said pics of the best set-ups (plural). That was one photo .
Any more?

more's picture
more's picture
more Monday, 31 Oct 2011 at 6:00am

kata beach
kata noi....they are about as good as they look, crowded at Kata but I surfed Kata Noi by myself every time except once...surfed Surrin a few times but very tidal, but twas ok to drink 90 cent tallies of Chang and eat eic thai food for about $1 per plate....going back in 5 weeks.....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 31 Oct 2011 at 6:01am

Looks like the SA Mid Coast!

benh's picture
benh's picture
benh Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011 at 1:29am

Got back a week and a half ago and the sad thing is its the best surf I have had in month ( love the Goldy in spring ). Actually it only fired up one day, it was the day after full moon and I was at Kata Beach it was 3 ft + off shore and glassy as ( next day back to being a lake ) It came in fairly straight and fast back if you were patient you could jag one with a bit of a shoulder. I don’t know what was more fun the surfing or watching these Russian dudes in those European dick togs they love to wear on 9ft hire boards paddle onto a close out get up onto their hands and knees and then get slammed into the beach. It just didn’t get boring.

more's picture
more's picture
more Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011 at 8:18pm

I am guessing you hired something from Kata, what did you ride over there ? check any other spots ???

benh's picture
benh's picture
benh Tuesday, 29 Nov 2011 at 11:40pm

Hey more

The best thing I could get my hands on was a 6"3 7S, it was the most beat up zombie plank I have ever ridden but it was the best of a bad bunch. I did take my own fins over so that helped a bit, it was off the guy right at the end of Kata Beach. I did go and have a look at kata noi but again it was all over and the wind was getting up. All the locals were saying that was pretty much it for the swell so I must admit I was sick of getting hassled to buy shit I didnt want so I found a cool little bar with cold beer and good Pad Thai that over looked the beach and hot back packers. Funny thing is that I thought there would be some better quality hire boards due to the GSI/Cobra factory being in Thailand but they are only able to sell 2% of their product in Thailand the rest must be exported.

more's picture
more's picture
more Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011 at 4:56am

yep, sounds like same spot I hire mine from when I am there...when I was there last time I got a 6'0" quad that had the fins in all wrong, then I asked if I could change them they looked at me like I was a freak, they must have been shocked when you had ya own fins...they do have alot of crap boards...when I went to Surin, a guy about 17 rode up with a trailer on his push-bike that had about 5 ot 6 boards and he hired them out, they were all pretty average but the one I wanted was his own board and he wasnt too keen til I offered him a few extra bucks and talked to him about surfboards and told him I mkae boards...the local groms were paddling around near me and watching me and hotting and carrying on, it was cool, we couldnt understand each other but the odd hoot of stoked was sufficient..one grom about 12 yrs old and in budgie smugglers smiled the whole surf, never stopped , it was the full chesire cat teethy smile the whole session, he kept telling me his friend owned the board I was riding...their stoke was contagious and I had a ball in the mediocre 2 ft windswell....then I enjoyed many Changs and great food....I would live there if the waves pumped....going back in 8 days yewwwwww......

grumpy's picture
grumpy's picture
grumpy Wednesday, 30 Nov 2011 at 8:41pm

phuket has small waves,rarely over head high ,normally light onshore.occasionally ok ,not worth a serious trip,sometimes crowded.great food and more relaxed atmosphere than bali.stacks of euros and russians.