modern twin fish volume

samerubi's picture
samerubi started the topic in Thursday, 22 Nov 2018 at 11:16am

hi,
i am interested in anyones advice on choosing a volume for a modern twin fish.
my current shortboards are 33.5-34 litres.
Recognising that volume is not everything, do i get the same volume, or increase by 2,3,4, etc litres.
i am aiming to ride it in 1-3 foot beachies.
Thanks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm

I think we need a new forum category: 'surfboard volume'. There's so many questions in and around this topic. 

I imagine that yr twinnie literage will depend on the dims of your regular board and what kinda surf it's being ridden in (not just a case of adding a few more litres).

Although it's not a standard Twinnie, omy Cab Sav (same principle) has - off the top of my head - around 20-25% more volume than my shortboards (whilst knocking off 2-3 inches). It's bloody thick and wide (especially through the tail), and I love it. 

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 26 Nov 2018 at 2:56pm

....... and it was rarely mentioned until the technology allowed it to be calculated. We just relied on the shaper's eye. My advice would be to use a shaper who knows your surfing or find a good surf shop and discuss it with them.

dangerouskook2000's picture
dangerouskook2000's picture
dangerouskook2000 Saturday, 5 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm

volume is a really handy tool. Shapers have good eyes but even they have come out of the dark with their machine cuts. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to use volume as a guide along with the other dims.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 5 Jan 2019 at 10:30pm

Talk of fish? it must once again time for this .....

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 1:37pm

i went with a DHD mini twin 2 in 5'9" @ 34.5L. paddles well enough and not too corky when pushing it around. tail is quite sensitive. had the usual adjustment issues on my backhand - especially with Futures K2s keels in. overall more performancey using scarfini twins and much easier to ride backhand. ive been lucky enough to get ok waves over summer, nothing great, just sometimes fun beachies. the board has surprised with its ability to surf 'like' a modern shortboard when the wave allows. next thing is to try some smaller fins as i havent run in to any slide out issues thus far. Overall happy i went with the volume for my over 40s, 90'odd kg frame.