spray-paint question - help me salvage a job

drewb's picture
drewb started the topic in Saturday, 14 Feb 2015 at 1:39pm

I tried doing a spray on my new firewire board. I followed all of the instructions as per youtube (

&list=WL&index=4) and used the right sprays (Molotow). However when I was spraying the paint did not seem to bind properly - it has bound in little sand-like granules. Sure, some of the paint stuck, but if I rub my hand on the board I can "roll" away some of the granules.

This granular effect applied to both the colours and the clear coat.

I would like to save the paint job as I sort of like it.

I have some options I think:

1. start again - sand the whole lot down and try to recover the mess.
2. salvage what is there. I was thinking that I could get some roll-on clear coat, apply it then sand back using a green brillo pad?
3. take it to a professional - I am open to ideas.

Any ideas or reasons why I am facing this problem are much much appreciated.

Thanks,

Photo here:

http://postimg.org/image/9v3pi4qzf/

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 15 Feb 2015 at 8:30am

Yikes! What a mission. Good on ya for giving it a go though.

drewb's picture
drewb's picture
drewb Sunday, 15 Feb 2015 at 11:27am

OK...so some internet research told me that I had either not shaken the can long enough (5 minutes!) or held it too far away from the board when spraying. I thought I did neither...but the only thing to to was to get the 900 grit wet and dry sandpaper and lightly get rid of the orange and the top clearcoat - the blue stayed OK.

Job done and I reapplied the orange and while it is still a little grainy, it will do. Now for some more clear-coat and then another sand and I will be done. (5 weeks to go before a broken collarbone allows me back in the water though.....)

it's a fun task for whomever wants to have a go....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Feb 2015 at 1:03pm

Get the paint warm first almost hot...car dash or direct sun ..same for the clearcoat and warm the painted board a little then spray the clearcoat.