Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:06pm

That's how I see it too VJ - break it into a thousand pieces.

Surely it's possible to support people without dividing.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:17pm

Spot on VJ. We see this everyday here with this Liberal / National government.

Lifters, Leaners, Quiet Australians, Illegal immigrants, Dole bludgers etc etc.

It's in group / out group politics.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:25pm

I just hope my tribe doesn't get relocated next to the militant lesbian beekeepers when all is said and done.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:27pm

Philly looting, Target store: the young girl in the pink pants is one smart cookie! She is gathering stuff outside the store that looters are dropping - not directly looting the store. Watch how she does this:

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:31pm

Yass, fascinating.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm

Fuck! How mental are the comments on this thread?!

The old "give 'em enough rope..." is a helluva thing.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm

That's wild VJ, crazy how casual most of them are about it. Wonder if it's got anything to do with poverty level wages and a punitive and minuscule welfare system.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:06pm

It’s pretty funny to watch crew pillaging from the safety of the other side of the world.

It’d be terrifying watching the social contract of your neighbourhood unfold in real life .

Crew are going to get killed , disabled, injured badly. Houses , shops and businesses burnt and destroyed.

Some of the stuff you see is horrific.

Pray to your god that it doesn’t happen here. Meanwhile.....China loading up weapons and soldiers on the Indian border.

Fuck , I just want to be safe and happy with family and friends. Catch some waves and fish. Enjoy the natural world.

Don’t need this shit .

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:15pm

Refuge in the natural world is a very good response Blowin. JQ - all that is true. I did wonder that so many looting have much newer cars than I do... I guess they get loaned to heavily if on poverty wages?
The riots seem to have gone 4 ways 1)absolute outrage at the despicable killing of Floyd, 2) Antifa bussing in to bust shit up, maybe being paid to 3) People usings riots as cover to begin looting their everyday shops, tragic because many won't return so there goes the amenity of their locale and 4) LEO response/national guard response which has looked very heavy handed in comparison to what we see in Oz

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:16pm

Looting. filling up trolley's with cheap plastic junk made in China.
Thats the American Dream right there.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:17pm

Just before the rioting started I sold all my shares that have exposure to the US economy, I see no upside at all in the USA.
Most of the medical experts think a second wave is inevitable.
Trump's plan is to take away the safety net and provide legal protection to employers if a Covid 19 outbreak happens at their factories, offices, or other job sites. Basically it's a starve, or work and risk your health choice.
For their economy to get back on track, they are going to need workers. I can definitely see a situation where millions of employees refuse to risk their health. It's a very justifiable position.
Meanwhile, the orange lunatic is pouring petrol on the fire. These rioters are an example of societal breakdown. If a second wave of Covid 19 hits in the lead up to the Presidential election look out. And if Trump loses, there's simply no guarantee of an orderly transition of power. America is essentially fucked for the next 12 months at best. The only thing that can save their economy is a vaccine that is affordable and a public that is willing to take it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:19pm

"But, as usual, you've viewed it through your own personal grievance / political lens."

do you reckon you dont do this?

"Spot on VJ. We see this everyday here with this Liberal / National government."

thats some serious taking out of context to fit a certain political lens

resembles some serious 'revese engineering' maybe?

not having a go, just interesting to watch

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:20pm

Rode this track with the eldest about an hour ago.

Doesn't look like much on vid but when the the angles fell away it it felt like Waimea.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:27pm

Looks like Australians are trying to drum up interest for local BLM protests.

Awesome idea. Let’s provide a medium for our very own Anarchy Artists who have been inspired by the Septic riots.

If these premeditated riots / looting eventuate , I give police my permission to wield their batons with vigor.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:30pm

VL good point about the safety net, and the conundrum of workers going back to work and risking their health (I think about this a bit).

We are seeing the riots in the inner-urban cities that have been democrat controlled for longer than my lifetime. Surburban America is reporting staying up alarmed and armed, occasional shots fired to deter those wandering out of the city on bordering suburbs. Rural America is not affected; both the latter are watching and glad for the 2nd amendment presently.
Inner city mayors are pleading people not to bust up their home; their excellent, impassioned speeches are falling on deaf ears. Someone is dropping pallets of bricks in the path of the protesters, that's convenient logistics:

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/its-setup-mysteriously-staged-bricks...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:30pm

more likely it'll be small gatherings of peaceful protests.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:36pm

Unreal Stu.

I bought my first bike (mountain, of course) in 30 years last December and have been on it heaps this year. I needed an enjoyable way to get some cardio-vascular action, plus a mate had also mentioned how fun they were.

But that vid above is next level to me, and good for an adrenno rush.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:38pm

Fucking scary shit Blowin. Media gaslighting here already and who knows if paid protesters may be brought in.
But .. with all that I know I am not surprised either as the country falls more into dictatorship and military rule as agenda 21 is in full swing . I remember a melbournite posting a video two months ago showing loudspeakers that he had noticed had been installed in the streets of Footscray on stobie poles along with surveillance cams .

I hear ya I just want a simple life too, nature , freedom and surfing .
Stay strong mate

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:42pm

Sypkan, everyone does view issues through their own personal opinion lens - no one is truly impartial.

I certainly try not to make stuff up or draw long-shot conclusions when the information just isn't there.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:48pm

Saltyone, agenda 21? Really?

It's a 'nonbinding statement of intent aimed at dealing with sustainability on an increasingly crowded planet'. Not some sort of plot.

https://www.splcenter.org/20140331/agenda-21-un-sustainability-and-right...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 6:49pm

Looks like a reliable source there VJ - all a plot paid for by George Soros hey?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:02pm

Just imagine what would be happening in Nth America right now if this person was President

Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-6-52-16-pm

Leadership!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:07pm

Unreal Stu, I do a fair bit of that shit but much slower these days but always a rush. It always amazes me how there seems to be a tree on the exit of those fast berms where it can all go very pair shaped very quickly. A mate dislocated his foot right in front of me hitting one and landing badly after doing a complete somersault over his handlebars.

Lottolonglong's picture
Lottolonglong's picture
Lottolonglong Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:03pm

Hugs n hashtags?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm

Cool vid Stu and I can appreciate the steepness and complexity of that trail from the vid.

I bought a killer XC hardtail last year, my new hobby.

I seem to take up a new hobby every decade of my life. Footy in primary school, surfing in my teens, drugs in my twenties, snowboarding in my thirties, golf in my forties and now mountain biking in my fifties.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:42pm

I used to do a fair bit of downhill in the 90s but I dropped the sport cold. Haven't ridden a DH bike for over 20 years. Didn't even pay attention to it anymore.

Amazing to revisit it and see where the sport's gone. What we once called big was only Makaha compared to the roaring Jaws of modern downhilling. It's moved so far beyond what I thought would be possible. Even suburban no name riders do crazy stuff.

Threw down on an old beater to get the blood pumping again, though all within reason. I'm happy to be a spectator to the nutty stuff.

EDIT: You did drugs in the twenties too? What a coincidence!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:44pm

Perhaps this source will appeal to you moreso, or be more offically trustworthy, JQ:

https://off-guardian.org/2020/05/31/the-george-floyd-protests-20-unanswe...

Bravo OG, a left wing voice that's not neoliberal faux left.

"Why, within mere days of the incident, did NIKE have a brand new ad endorsing the protests?"

"For years the “liberal” press has clutched its pearls over even the hint of aggression (often associated with ‘toxic masculinity’). Even virtual aggression. Even harsh language.
Twitter and Facebook shut down accounts based on people using ‘hate’. People are “traumatised” by “cyber bullying”. The “aggressive language” and “bullying tactics” of Corbyn’s “hard left” supporters were constantly complained about throughout the pages of The Guardian.
Until yesterday when, with that transformative magic available only to a propaganda outfit with no perceived need to make internal sense, suddenly the Graun decided to run a story headlined “If violence isn’t the way to end racism in America, then what is?”.
Why are they saying this?"

"Why are people on the streets are reporting stacks of loose bricks on street corners:"

"Why are they reporting “organizers” of the riots “encouraging kids to attack cops”:"

"Why are police currently going of their way to make themselves look as bad as possible and to further incentivise this multi focal promotion of violence?"

"Who will benefit from this chaos?"

Independent media... thank you, internet & people on the ground with their phones, thank you. You might just expose some things.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:45pm

Crazy vid Stu, those guys sent it, and I was wincing away from some of those trees, tight!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:46pm

Imagine mixing your 20's and 40's Zen. just saying

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm

That is a really weird mish mash of theories on that story VJ. Plenty of conspiracy stuff in the comments too

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:03pm

BTW. speaking of which there has been a lot of criticism of Daniel Andrews of late signing up for China’s Belt and Road Initiative and rightly so.

"Victoria’s Belt and Road deal with China raises concerns

Victoria’s controversial deal with China is raising concerns with critics saying Premier Daniel Andrews is a “bloody idiot” to sign up."

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/victorias-belt-and-road-deal-wit...

Few more recent articles

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-30/victoria-liberal-opposition-leade...

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/beijing-s-belt-and-road-push-...

But guess who was also signing on the dotted line with the Chinese communist party this time last year?

Yep you guessed correct

Great leadership Jacinta almost as good as those hugs the left love.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:01pm

im still trying to work out if his midlife crisis came 40s or 50s...

footy, surf, drugs, snowboarding, golf, mountain bike...

golf?

peaked too early? too late?

now what are you gonna do at 60?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:04pm

Ah nice one VJ. I see what it is now -

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/offguardian/

This explains the wild conspiracies in the comments section and the general self-righteous tone of the stories.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:07pm

Dont knock Makaha too hard Stu, it does exist as a legit big wave spot , I,ve seen/ surfed the most perfect big waves I saw anywhere in Hawaii or the world there , Point Surf Makaha , xmas day 2001 (maybe 2002?) hard to remember now, but incredible how big and how perfect it was, like a perfect point break but giant, backlit and beautiful , locals only Brian K, Jonny Boy, Dave Parmateer (Rell Sunn days RIP) , Eric Steinke, Keone Watson , bullshit how good it was though, giant ,long and gnarly end section (da bowl)but perfect, (Hanalei perfect) , surfed Waimea early that morning (too west and wild, oversize) then went there for the arvo, its all about the direction, not Jaws but not the old fashioned / poofy b grade spot that you see when you run away from the north shore cause its too big when the swell is nw that most people experience. Rare bird I guess..

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:14pm

I reckon daniel andrews is done

I really cannot imagine a more typical no clue uninspiring public servant/career politician for lifer labor politician

well, ...there was bill...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:15pm

Sypkan, I guess it depends on how the Liberal party campaigns. If they go true to type and dog whistle about Chinese influence, they might unseat him. But seems Victorians are pretty happy with his performance recently.

https://www.pollbludger.net/victorian-politics/

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm

Skypan, I'm tipping you're not from Victoria. The News Limited "get Dan" campaign may make Dan Andrews public enemy number 1 north of the Murray, but doesn't work down here. Andrews is actually popular.
There's two other reasons why the ALP are highly likely to retain power in Victoria. First the Libs are coming from miles back. They were genuinely woeful at the last election. And secondly the LNP rank and vile is dominated by religious nutters. Their candidates are selected by the ex Family First / Reclaim Australia mob. They are guaranteed to throw up half a dozen crackpots that will derail a campaign, Andrews would have to become seriously corrupt and/or incompetent to lose to the LNP.
PS JQ, the dog-whistle doesn't work well in Victoria. We Mexicans can see that BS for what it is.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:42pm

Sypkan....Victoria has nowhere else to go . They make nothing and sell nothing but the land beneath them and the space beside themselves.

They need the population Ponzi and the Chinese money to keep the lights on.

The alternative is to attempt radical reformation involving innovation, initiative , courage and vision.

Let’s face it , what type of modern politician is going to choose a stroll down that rocky and unrewarding road ( career wise ) over a proffered Aldi bag ?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 8:53pm

Bet you can't guess which state has the strongest economy in Australia Blowin? I will give you a hint. These are the state's major industries:
Construction technologies. ...
Defence technologies. ...
Food and fibre. ...
Medical technologies and pharmaceuticals. ...
Retail, transport distribution and logistics and postal. ...
Visitor economy.
Go on, have a guess.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 9:06pm

"footy, surf, drugs, snowboarding, golf, mountain bike...

golf?

peaked too early? too late?

now what are you gonna do at 60?"

All of them Syppy.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 9:45pm

That's awesome Blowin. Very happy to hear that for you. Yew!!

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 1 Jun 2020 at 10:10pm

@vj, you mentioned the spacex flight yesterday. I watched it too. History in the making. This ones for you.

2001-2020

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 11:22am

OK.....I’m starting a competition for the most ironic thing on the internet.

Here’s a starting point :

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 11:39am

A genuine question for @Blowin & @VJ

The Stockmarket has been jittery for a while, as it approaches a supposed cliff, then in about April we had a dive, and a rebound, correct?
This current rebound is unlikely to last due to the delayed onset of covid induced global financial crisis, correct?
Nobody wants to give financial advice, but, given that I don’t hold someone I’ve never met on the internet liable, and it’s not a make or break scenario anyway...
Is it a good bet, on the likely crash, by removing maximum superannuation out now, holding it for 12 months, then redepositing it?
An opportunity to turn 20k into 30, is what I’m thinking..
(I wish I could do it with the lot actually)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 11:56am

Don't get that Bob the Builder post, Blowin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:24pm

Shoredump ....I got out of the share market completely and also put all my super into cash when I first realised what was going on in China with the Wuflu was going to impact the world ( mid - late January) . Didn’t want to have a lump of cash floating around with the economy looking shakey as fuck and retaining zero confidence in Scotty from marketing. Didn’t know where else to put it so I bought a house even though I still expect houses to be substantially cheaper within the next year or so.

I’ll put my super back into the market when everything calms down again....whenever that happens. If it happens !

Would have been a nice discount on many stocks back in March if you were bold enough to have a punt. It all seemed incomprehensible to me so I GTFA. Despite the printed money being thrown around, it all seems to be suspended in mid air.

Kind of feels like when there’s an explosion and everything expands outward before the rush of air back into the void. Only in this instance the void is the pockets of the Uber rich and the returning air is the savings of the plebeians.

Still....I wouldn’t ever presume to try and influence your decision making. Beyond all that “ this is not investment advice “ blah blah , it honestly makes me feel sick thinking that you might commit to something based on my suggestion which might then go arse up. I don’t know what is going to happen to the world. The main thing I learnt from trying to deal in that world is that I know fuck all ! It turns out that reading human behaviour , intuition and luck were more important to any success I had than any of my basic financial literacy.

I can’t see the world getting any better with current events. I think the Australian economy is a drunken man standing on the edge of a cliff , waving his arms for balance .

We are beholden to China . China is losing the plot and going all in on nationalistic irrationality . The Chinese economy is built off the rest of the world and the rest of the world still ain’t buying.

We follow the US market for our lead . The US looks like it’s flat out keeping its head above water.

Best of luck .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm

Well , Stu.

Levelling a preconceived negative generality across an entire cohort of humans based on nothing more than their skin colour is racism.

Bob the builder can’t handle racism.

= Irony.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:04pm

Do you think that when people say "white privilege" they mean all white people?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:07pm

Do you think that when people say “ Mexicans are lazy “ they mean all Mexicans ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:07pm

No.