Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:11pm

Does that mean it’s not racist to say “ Mexicans are lazy “ ?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:13pm

Melbourne also has more music venues per capita thsn any other city in the world... the rest of the arts do alright in Victoria too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:15pm

I guess it would depend on the context.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:25pm

@Shoredump, wise old market jungle saying easiest way to get $1 million from share market is to start with $2 million.

Current market (and possible future) is not necessarily pricing risk or value for lots of reasons one being unprecedented governments interventions at many levels.

I was in the camp of another leg down but given the bottom of the DOW was really a FED bottom I don't hold a strong bias as to where from here and wont be surprised if the market continues to meander up who knows?

Unless we get into uncertainty around vaccines or second wave its anyone's guess.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:33pm

"Melbourne also has more music venues per capita thsn any other city in the world"

and we can only hope this is still true in a post pandemic world

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:36pm

I'm looking around here.

Cafe's full of boomers and cashed up tradie trophy wives again.

construction going full bore ahead.

intra and inter-state tourism about to get going again.

no drop in demand for mining and agriculture outputs.

Govt prepared for massive stimulus in the housing market.

Real estate market solid, at least on the desirable east coast.

Businesses back up and running.

what am I missing?

Corona virus was basically a huge nothing burger here.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:42pm

Patrick....Melbourne is the second biggest GDP in Australia but the 3rd lowest GDP per capita. Almost 10 percent lower than average GDP Per capita national average.

Education is 43 percent of their exports . Almost as much as all traded goods combined. Education is a euphemism for fire hosing immigrants and selling real estate.

The next largest “ export “ is personal travel at 24 percent. This means more bodies jammed in ...only its measured in week long blocs.

Vic is responsible for 27 percent of Australia’s imports yet only 9 percent of its exports.

Vicco has the highest population growth in the nation. The Vic economy is basically importing warm bodies then selling them real estate. Often times the real estate is sold without the warm bodies insitu !

A large percentage of the Vic GDP is government spending on infrastructure to accomodate the warm bodies being firehosed to sustain the Ponzi.

AKA ...the rest of Australia earns the money whilst Vicco spends it shoring up their unsustainable pyramid scheme.

Vicco ....selling the land they walk and live on and the space between themselves. Not much more to offer. The rest is just transactional bullshit . Selling coffees and houses to each other.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 12:53pm

I think you missed a few points that VL raised earlier.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm

Freeride....it’s all getting kicked down the road.

The crew you see in the surf are on the soon-to-be-extinguished Jobkeeper. Some people are better off !

Housing starts are plummeting. Contracts fulfilled aren’t replaced with new work. Banks are tightening lending. IO loans kicked down the road. Immigration on hold. Bank of Mum and Dad guarantors no longer welcome at some of the big four banks - and they were the fifth biggest lenders in the mortgage market , no shit ! . Consumer spending habits altered after iso. Mortgage repayment deferrals kicked down the road.

Scotty from marketing subsiding new builds ( rumoured $50K grants ) and renovations to bail out the building industry means existing residences are yesterdays fish wrap .

Question....who’s borrowing to build a new house in order to qualify for the grant when they’re unemployed ? Sounds like a dud .

No confidence in the economy....who wants to borrow into that ?

FOMO dying. The indisputable, inarguable, openly conceded , mass immigration demand which has sustained purchase demand for properties and provided tenants for all those investment properties.....absent.

International tourists filling AirB’nB....gone. International Tourism to holiday towns ....Gone.

Having said that......Scotty from Marketing will not accept defeat easily. If we were facing an invading army in the form of dropping house prices , Scotty would be first over the top and charging the enemy .

Can he do enough ? Can anyone do enough in the face of hard reality.

That’s the question.

I’m thinking that some form of UBI may need to be introduced to get Scotty’s wish for Australians to be perpetually enslaved to massive mortgages over the line.

That and immigration in the order of 500K per annum. That won’t surprise me. Backed by ALP demanding all those temp visas are replaced by permanents.

Add in the chance they’ll accept multitudes of Hong Kong refugees ( not a bad thing ).

I can even imagine some form of cash incentive for immigrants to settle in Oz thrown out there.

Who knows ?

I’m still calling substantial drops . How much of this is pure wishful thinking/ confirmation bias and how much is reality is another question.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 1:33pm

WoL - thank you so much for that shot from 2001, love that particular sequence. If we can get over the fighting each other on colour/gender/sexuality the stars are quite literally the limit. It would be very nice to see the genesis of the machinery capable of FTL travel within my lifetime; futurists I've read predict missions to Alpha Centauri sometime in the early 22nd century, that will be absolutely amazing.

Shoredump I have read your question, will try a reply after market hours. It's a big question, particularly since many can now take 10K a year out of super, too! I've spent the lockdown getting affairs in order, and taking a look at where I'm positioned. In the meantime, I'll suggest a read of Stan Weinstein's absolutely excellent "How to Profit in Bull and Bear Markets" for a very solid introduction to technical analysis and a methodology to guide an investor over many years. It's very cool, you can see tops form up to 18 months out as the strength slips away under the surface. If you can set up something like his "Weight Of Evidence" you can periodically review the entire world's economy quickly and decisively. I find I am at my best when using faster more short term proprietary methodology being in sync with this Weight of Evidence being in sync with macro. My 2c. As for BTC, the thing moves so damn much I put it on a log chart first then it makes sense to me!

Yesterday was an interesting exercise. I had a bit of fun composing links via twitter and presented a pretty eye-opening view. Responses were positive here. Then I was a little lazier, and just posted article links that had embedded twitter footage that would provide a further picture of what is going on on the ground in the US (in historian's terms, the vids are primary documents). JQ hit me with the fact checkers (I find "fact checkers" hopelessly biased tbh, the snopes guy was a leftist who ran off with his lady of the night lol). The conclusion from this is if I can find any good links, best to go straight to the source/primary document, let it tell the story. The piles of bricks are still suspicious.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 2:07pm

Blowin you forgot MasterChef and TheBlock as products of the Vic economy. Surely a decent trade on the entire automotive engineering industry?

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 2:08pm

Yo Blow, is your comp still on?

Whaddya win?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 2:37pm

I find the whole concept of fact checkers quite hilarious, seriously, who checks the fact checkers?

they serve a purpose, but the limitations are obvious

the brick thing still definitely suss, I've seen reasonable questionable explanations, and suss questionable explanations, both ways...

looks like the blackfellas are just about done with the "white kids from the suburbs and anarchists"

many starting to openly condemn the 'allies' now

https://www.pbs.org/video/our-1591039727/

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 3:02pm

Cheers fellas.
Bare in mind if the stock market does indeed just continue to meander on up, then that’s only a small loss, once you redeposit.
Risk verse reward is quite good right now, from my perspective

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 3:07pm

Facto , you’ll have to explain your interpretation of irony to be eligible.

Are you saying that Trump has stifled free speech ?

Don’t get the fat fuck holding the book either .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 4:00pm

I don't have an entry in the irony contest but I did just find out the Guardian Angels are still out there protecting the good folk of NYC.

Look out, looters!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 4:08pm

Looks like we’ve got a reluctant leader of the field , ladies and gentlemen.

Stunet bringing the noise with his set piece theatre publicity shots of those intimidating Guardian Angels.

It’s like vigilante justice.....only smaller.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 4:20pm

That second photo of the Guardian Angels looks eerily similar to a cynically created concept band trying to hitch a ride on the tailcoats of the Village People.

( To the tune of “ In the Navy “ )

In the Angels
Yes , you can take it to the streets
In the Angels
Yes , you can manhandle those you meet
In the Angels
Yes , you can loiter on the beat
In the Angels
Yes , We’re always looking for fresh meat

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 5:06pm

Fuck-a-duck, Blowie, you seriously don't know about Trumpy's Twitter temper tantrum??

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-27/trump-threatens-social-media-comp...

The numpty that is on Twitter more than you're on here, Blowie, blows up about them 'stifling' his free-wheelin' bollocks (ie bullshit), and THEN threatens to shut them down?! Irony overload much??

As one eye-rolling commentator said of his threatening tweets, it's an amalgamation of:

• Dystopia
• Autocrat wannabe
• Ignorance
• Irony
• Loss of the ability to think strategically
• Self-destruction

And c'mon, you don't know who the "fat fuck" is either? Or why he's holding the Trumpy tome?

Let alone the implication that that's your grand prize on offer*?!

*the book not Georgy, FFS! Not that there's anything wrong with that...I guess. Stu can have the prize!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 6:02pm

Why do the Guardian Angels (never heard of them) have the all-seeing eye of the illuminati (or perhaps, Eye of Horus if you want to go waaaay back further than our present occulted symbology) with wings (hello, zoroastrians, and fellow travelers) on their T-shirts?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm

The second photo definitely looks like what you’d expect to see when you answer your doorbell at midnight after selling dud pills on grinder.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 6:15pm

A US President deploying the army and the national guard against citizens .....

We have all been here before.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 6:36pm

Shoredump, the most vexing question for me at present is reconciling the absolutely abysmal economic numbers I'm seeing with both the market grinding higher, and the relative normal I see around me. How to do so?

Is the pricing of the market, or the actuality of the economy, more relevant to super balances?

My own personal feeling is that the big shock fall, already happened. The one where volatility is asleep beforehand. I was very favourably positioned for that one in one trade - only because my rules required a hedge and I placed it and left it on. What would I look for if I wanted to see the precursor for second, even bigger shock fall? There would have to be a very convincing weight of evidence before action for me to follow it. Fundamentally the numbers - production, PMIs, employment etc are Depression level mud. Do we see that reflected in the price action of the market? Do we see building weakness in the price action of the market? Has there been a decoupling of reality from pricing, and is reality or pricing more important to an account balance? Is there a fundamental 'coil spring' of people about to, and ready to return to work and life as normal, at the flick of a switch? So, so many questions - but I'd be looking for clear evidence across trusted indicators I follow to confirm.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 6:47pm

@vj, a simple yes or no will suffice (haha :)

Guy, I never knew the history of that song and have only the faintest memory of it, but it sure seems timely after watching the Trumpernator on TV today calling in the National Guard.

Strange times indeed.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 8:06pm

That song gets me every time.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:37pm

lol WoL, went back and read it and I've reached a level of incoherence great enough to write editorial at 'Gold Eagle'...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:39pm

well, that's some white privelage...

honkey surfers taking the piss

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:51pm

I would have deployed brute force ages ago.

And if I was sitting at home fearful for my loved ones I’d be praying for the military to arrive and start exterminating the vermin destroying society and harming innocents.

Not one of those violent protesters is any different from the cop who killed George Floyd. It’s all senseless violence.

Nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:52pm

And they need big death trap fake shops like roach motels which funnel the looters in for the big sleep inside.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:54pm

Similar thing at a Channel Islands store too.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:56pm

I read an interesting discussion about the current situation in the USA outlining three possible scenarios.
1. Police and military forces violently crush any protests which would embolden the RWNJ and pave the way for a fully fledged dictatorship.
2. Police and military forces split with a large number of officers / precincts / governors refusing to turn their weapons on their fellow citizens. This would create a civil war situation with cities offering safe havens for respective sides.
3. Widespread refusal to follow orders to violently crack down on protests creating a situation where the nutter militias take law and order into their own hands.
What a fucking mess. I wonder if the Americans are "sick of winning" yet?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:57pm

Blowin, you're simplifying things. Brute force started this whole thing. Brute force created the country the is happening in.... this is what brute force does to a community.
So many arm chair tough guys.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:58pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 9:59pm

bad whitey...

https://www.bet.com/news/national/2020/05/31/white-extremists-terrorize-...

a really scary insight into how quickly it can go all wrong

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:01pm

Blowin, maybe I misinterpreted your comment.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:06pm

Wow sypkan

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:06pm

Patrick.....quite the opposite, mate.

An armchair tough guy would have you believe he’d be out there taking on these mindless scumbags on their own.

Should I start posting videos of the atrocities being committed ?

I don’t think Swellnet really wants that so you’ll have to find your own on line. There’s plenty out there.

I’d like to ask you to imagine yourself and your family being amongst it all. Trying to shepherd them to safety as old ladies are getting smashed in the face by thugs wielding timber posts , as lone people are set upon by dozens of attackers who kick them to near death , as the local supermarket you feed your family from is looted by masked criminals and then burnt to the ground along with your school and library.

Fuck that. This isn’t a revolution, it’s the abandonment of civility.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:09pm

Yeah, it can be hard to know the context or specifics of each post on the net, I realised that afterwards, see above.
Yes, I've seen those vids you're referring to.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:10pm

"Nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure." So let the military and police be judge jury and executioner then?
You really are an idiot blowin, but that's how hansonites roll.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:12pm

Watching that last vid sypkan posted, I'd be hesitant to call the cops ti my neighbourhood living over thrre.
There's another vid of the guard shooting at people on their own doorstep in a 'nice' neighbourhood.

Shit is so agitated over there, it would be hard to know what to do

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:17pm

Patrick....why are you surprised at that video ?

It’s called anarchy and chaos.

If you don’t want that then you need control to be imposed. Sending in the military doesn’t necessarily mean civil war. It means restoring order. No need for violence when the mobbing cowards see a bigger , better armed force coming. It’s show over.

If some determined anarchists want to engage in gunfire with the military then let them burn. They’ve rejected peace and elected to die.

This isn’t some brave band of resistance fighters trying to stop Nazis , this is anarchists trying to destroy the lives of innocents. The rioters are the fascists. Imposing their will through intimidation and violence.

Live by the sword . Die by the sword.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 11:03pm

scathing

and terribly accurate

(hedge)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:21pm

The only problem with sending in the military is that the Deranged Anti Trump brigade would rather see Trump suffer at the polls than see peace restored and so they’d start inciting resistance to the military.

It’s already being proposed. People on here and elsewhere acting like the reinstatement of order is some form of dictator ordered oppression .

Oh....Trumps sending in the army ! Fascist bully boy !

Like fuck. It’s necessary if you don’t want to live out a scene from Mad Max everyday.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:22pm

In that country I wouldn't trust the military any more than the police. I've seen what they've done in other countries and a friend who worked in Afghanistan told me what the US miltary was like over there... bastards. On one particular job it took the British military to stop the US guys using brute force and killing hundreds.
It's one reason why the USA is hated around the world.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:29pm

Patrick....I’ve seen that video of the National guard firing paint rounds at the crew on their porch.

Initially I was thinking “ Look at these thugs. Thinking they’re killing it in their big gang .”

I showed my missus and she said “ What’s wrong with that ? Wouldn’t you go straight inside when they asked you to “

I told her ...” fuck that .”

Then I watched a few of the other vids where random freaks are ruining the lives of others , going full Mad Max. And I realised that yes , I’d go inside and I’d wait for the guard to cleanse the streets of these aggressive, psycho fucks who wanted to hurt , burn , loot , injure , kill , destroy .

And I’d be grateful for the help of the crew risking their lives and fighting the enemy who’ve emerged from within our community.

Neoliberalism is fucked . Inequality is heartbreaking. Discrimination is tragic but none of the above holds a candle to senseless violence and rioting for bad shit to happen to you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:34pm

Patrick....difference between being sent halfway around the world and resenting having your life risked for a population which doesn’t even want you there against an enemy which is indistinguishable from the rest of the inhabitants who merely hate you.

I see that local misfits are itching to kick off a home grown franchise of this shit and I pray they’re given a very , very short leash.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:43pm

I gotta stay off the forums before bed.
I'm gonna look at Zen's hydrangeas and hit the sack

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Tuesday, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:43pm

Looks like a "second wave" of covid about to land on the heads of the USA before they even get up in time for a breath from the first one. Faaark ...
Meanwhile Aussies just plan their holidays with free government handouts..
Talk about the Bizzaro world .