Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Thursday, 4 Jun 2020 at 11:06pm

For all the anti Trump rhetoric in the world has anyone heard anything from the US opposition ? At all? Weird. Ok Obama has been out there (as he should well be, if anybody at all has a chance of settling things down its him) but with an election in a couple of months you,d be hard pressed to even know what Joe Biden sounds like much less what he thinks about what ,s going on at the moment with this fucked up situation. Is he just hoping Trump fucks up so much he will get the win or just doesnt have jackshit to say in general?
Like it or not Trump will win in November, hands down.
Hold on people and seatbelts on, this ride is going to get more radical.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Thursday, 4 Jun 2020 at 11:32pm

So how does it feel to realise you've been had by the Covid Con?Can't do this,can't do that.Can't go here,can't go there .Oh nooooo someone might die.Beijing Dan even had the hide to tell people that they can't visit mum on Mother's Day.But...BUT you want to go to a ANTIFA/COMMO rally?Hey ,no worries it's okay,in fact we recommend it.And you reckon this is not political? You've been conned,they're not even pretending anymore.The left are evil.TRULY.FUCKEN.EVIL.And the mob ,the sheep,the MORONS fall into line,no questions asked.Yes Mr Government,please control more of my life.
FMD,what a time to be alive.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 3:36am

"...has anyone heard anything from the US opposition ? At all? Weird."

awww come on mike, you're being unfair, basement biden did come out to say "you ain't black" to any blackfella who doesn't vote for the democrats and their hollow agenda

a lot of black folks on tv not feeling basement biden's bro-ness...

biden's doing a shorten, hide in the shadows with a lame status quo agenda... then pounce on chaos

good luck with that...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 6:06am

This is your real culprit for stoking racial tension

https://www.smh.com.au/national/bad-day-no-defence-in-arrest-of-indigeno...

The media is doing everything within its power to stoke a confrontations anti-white rally in Australia. Blind Freddy would be aware of what’s now unfolding around the globe , yet the MSM chooses now to put an article on the front page trying to create the impression that this is a George Floyd moment.

It’s a bit of police overzealousness. Happens everyday. There is zero evidence that this incident is race related. The media is inciting public anger and fury and trying to fan the fire or racial harmony at this volatile moment.

Those who are impatiently waiting for the protests in Australia this weekend so they can create anarchy are seeing this as consent and reinforcement for the sophistic justification of their riotous desires.

This article is representative of the dog whistling that everyone claims to hate so much.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 6:44am

Blowie, reckon you’re straight up wrong on that NSW copper’s actions. It has a lot to do with race. ‘Over-zealousness’ is a cop out (NPI).
Can’t see the copper pulling that move on some kid in Vaucluse, who is just as likely to be lippy. What’s more, the cops wouldn’t have even been in that situation. They’re just three aspects of systemic racism - increased interaction, higher incidences of arrest, and more violent methods being used.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 6:50am

FWIW, I am cynical about direct comparisons between the situation here and in the US. Doesn’t mean it’s not racist.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 6:56am

Maybe Betoota says it better?

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/nations-pe-teachers-rejoice-...

I find Betoota to be a pretty good gauge of community sentiment.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:04am

Etaripe....maybe not Vaucluse, but itd happen every day in Western Sydney to less wealthy people . It’s a class thing , not a race thing.

Got zero to do with the colour of skin and everything to do with a power hungry copper dealing with a scrawny smart arse threatening to break his jaw.

This should not be front page news at any time . The conscious decision to run a story such as this at this particular point in time is inflammatory. It’s purposely trying to arouse a false belief that Sydney police persecute people based on skin colour so as to create alignment with the civil unrest in the USA.

It’s evil .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:01am

Re: the article above.

Did you read it Blowin?

I see no evidence of stoking racial tension.

It's a straight up piece of reporting with comments from a former judge at it's heart, basically calling for the rule of law to be applied equally.

sorry mate, I don't agree with your take there at all.

You say "blind Freddy would be aware of what's now is unfolding around the globe"

And this media report is somehow part of it?

What do you mean, exactly?

What is unfolding across the globe?

And you really think riots are going to ensue in Australia this weekend ?

That sounds very alarmist and scare-mongery to me.

Not having a go, genuinely interested in how you are seeing it.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:09am

Yes, it’s a class thing, to a degree. You don’t reckon that’s got a strong element of race to it as well? Who’s more likely to be living in Vaucluse? And, a black kid, any black kid, in Vaucluse is more likely to be stopped and questioned, with more assertive methods used.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:30am

Freeride.....how is the law not applied evenly ?

Look at the article and ask yourself what it’s really about . On facts alone it’s a non event about a young smart arse being put on his arse by a copper. Not a hint of racial motivation. Just everyday poor policing.

Where did the opinion of a former judge come from and why is it on the front of my SMH feed ?

The editor has told the journalist to seek out an opinion which makes it seem as though the issue is newsworthy. The situation is not newsworthy in itself and so it needs to be made impactful with someone’s opinion. It’s twitter journalism.

This situation is not worth of the local paper , let alone one of the nation’s most prominent media outlets. It’s not the first article on this situation either. Yesterday had another attempt to stir up the FALSE NOTION that Black people are targeted and persecuted by police in Australia. This is purposeful media attempt at creating a public mood to mirror the bullshit occurring elsewhere.

This astroturfed farcical “ civil movement “ is unfolding in other nations. Haven’t you seen what’s been unfolding in London ?

The media and racial tension industries here in Australia are praying for the same thing.

This is London and what the media is hoping for ...

https://twitter.com/DawkinsReturns/status/1268287787222040577

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:23am

“On facts alone it’s a non event about a young smart arse being put on his arse by a copper.”

Face, actually

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:33am

Whatever.

Young fuckwit threatening cop gets done up by fuckwit cop.

Where’s the racial element ?

Got fuck all to do with anything beyond an opportunity for the MSM to spread the gaslight that racial tension is boiling over and that what we need to soothe it is to provide a rallying point for every antisocial cock for a thousand miles to converge and try to start some violent shit.

I’ve been beaten up by the police ....where’s my multiple front page articles ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:56am

Freeride.....no ambiguity here :

https://www.smh.com.au/national/police-commissioner-concerned-by-video-o...

Third day this story has been running BTW.

The MSM is trying to create a George Floyd moment as the irritant around which to breed a pearl of hysteria , rioting and other shit to sell newspapers and advertising. The paper even rounded up the family for a professional photoshoot on bended knee just in case anyone was still too dim to get the point that what Australia needs right now is newsworthy antisocial activity.

It’s dog whistling and it’s inciteful.

PS Got to love the irony here . The quote from the family “ "We want to be able to develop better relationships between the police and the youth of our community, and this won't happen if we allow officers to feel they are entitled to abuse us without facing proper consequences," the boy's sister said on Wednesday.“ after the young bloke said he would “ crack the copper in his fucking jaw , bro . “

Talk about feeling entitled to abuse without consequences.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 7:55am

Freeride....you asked about my anti authoritarianism. It’s as strong as ever . Only now one of the most dangerous fronts of authoritarianism is the Twitter two minutes of hate mob.

Now you must bow to the whims of those baying on social media.

Literally saying that if you don’t bend a knee you are racist.

Fuck that. You see them on here . The useless fucks who love to employ false moral authority as a weapon to control people. Just don’t be a cock towards others regardless of their skin colour. Most people are good and decent. They don’t need to perform some ridiculous arbitrary action to prove this to the social media bullying brigade.

This is the perverse reality the Vic Locals of the world want to foment https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1268519340527226881?s=20

You must submit !

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:19am

There's been a veery heavy racial element in policing in Aus for a long, long time.
Royal Commissions etc etc .

I don't see much controversial there, as far as accepting those facts go.

The latest cop incident happens to co-incide with world-wide protests about cops killing unarmed black men in America.

Surely, you can see how that is newsworthy?

I don't see any hysteria or bias in the reporting.

As for authoritarianism, I see a pretty big diff between a few fuckwits sounding off on Social media and cops coming through the streets bashing journalists doing their job.

One is actual authoritarianism, the real jack-boot actual nightmare kind, the other is an annoyance.

But they are differences in definition.

You didn't elaborate on what Blind Freddy could see is happening around the globe.

Again, I'm genuinely interested in what you are seeing.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:30am

"Just don’t be a cock towards others regardless of their skin colour."

Great code to live by, hopelessly naive in reality. There are systemic power structures built along racial lines that you either can't or don't want to see.

You may be genuine - i.e you can't see those disparities - but I imagine to other people it looks like apathy, or worse, a cover for genuine racism.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:36am

Where’s the evidence for a heavy racial evidence in policing ?

I see disproportionate statistics regarding incarceration rates and First Nations crew involved in crime but that’s resulting from the state of the First Nations community, not because police are racist or driven by anything other than the requirements of their role in arresting perpetrators.

The concept of racism within the police force was realistic when it was socially and legally acceptable to pick the kids up from school with 10 schooners under your belt and a Winnie red blazing from your lips with all the car windows rolled up.

It’s an outdated notion with no basis in modern times.

Like you said , the situation in the paper was pushed hard and from the angle of police oppressing Black people but why ? Where is a single shred of evidence that the motivation of the cop was racist ? There’s no evidence at all.

Trying to portray cosmopolitan, disproportionately multiracial Surrey Hills as a hotbed of sanctioned police racism is ridiculous in the extreme.

The contrivance of this young punk being manhandled by a copper is a determined attempt to link the global situation with local events in order to stir racial tension.

It’s dog whistling.

I’ll get back to the other stuff later....writing this whilst building a kitchen bench. As much as I love procrastination....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:42am

Bullshit , Stu.

You think a young blackfella in Surrey hills is persecuted for his appearance in 2020 ?

There might have been some truth to that claim in 1980 . That might even be partly true in some people amongst odd pockets of regional Australia still . But not in Surry Hills .Not anymore. Not anywhere in the vast , vast majority of Australia.

Don’t believe me ? Then off you go down to Surry Hills and start telling people that you think White people are superior to First Nations and get back to me. Iron clad guarantee that 99.99999 percent of people will at the very least tell you to get fucked. More likely you’ll get knocked out and then shamed on social media and the MSM.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:42am

"The contrivance of this young punk being manhandled by a copper is a determined attempt to link the global situation with local events in order to stir racial tension."

It's media trying to sell headlines. Nothing more. The onus is always on the reader to make a judgement.

Isn't it?

FWIW I thought the whole Surry Hills thing was overblown from the get go. But I understand why media runs it. And I shook my head at the lack of awareness of said officer - has he not watched what's going on in the US and how sensitive people will currently be to OTT policing?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:44am

"You think a young blackfella in Surrey hills is persecuted for his appearance in 2020?"

Yes, and that's coming from somone who owned a business at Waterloo for five years.

Your evidence..?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:46am

The reason the copper didn’t give a fuck is that’s how fuckwit coppers treat young aggressive fuckwits. Race doesn’t enter into it.

Not until the media goes out of their way to falsely claim that is the case.

Despite NO EVIDENCE.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:47am

When did you own your business, Stu ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 8:47am

Five years up to 2009.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:04am

Hey blowin.
Did you miss the black deaths in custody royal commission?
For someone who professes a fondness for black fellas, you sure as shit have a funny way of showing it. 430 odd deaths, no charges.
Here's a tip. Stop getting Andrew Bolt to do the thinking for you, and try to be a little more consistent with your arguments. Having said that, it is mildly amusing watching you passionately argue for diametrically opposite positions.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:07am

Sydney was unrecognisable from the place it is today.

Anyway , just show me the inarguable statistics of First Nations people being killed by the cops in Surry Hills which shows that this article isn’t an unrepresentative beat up.

If there’s no stats it’s probably because the entrenched racism runs all the way to the top of the police hierarchy and there’s a massive coverup ....lol.

The alternative is that Black people aren’t being killed by the police....and who’s willing to accept that !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:11am

I’ve shown you the statistics proving that Black people are underrepresented in terms of deaths per custodial situations when compared to the general population.

Not to mention that the vast majority of deaths in custody are suicides or not at all related to the murderous racial hate of police.

Evidence doesn’t back up your attempts to divide society along racial lines.

No charges in 430 deaths ....you think it’s a massive anti- black movement hiding murders or you think that you are misrepresenting the statistics ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:10am

Unrecognisable from 2009 to today?

You weren't there then and you're not there now.

So you know this how..?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:18am

OK , Stu.

You admit the article is a beat up ?

Why ? What’s the motivation ?

Like I said , get yourself down to Surrey Hills and see how far you get being racist. The vast , vast , vast majority of Australians reject racism and you will discover this if you go down and act like you imagine others do.

Every shred of evidence says that Australia is not racist. A few PMS suffering twitter users such as Vic Local do not change this fact. The media talks shit to sell advertising. This is the facts.

I’ve spent years in blackfella towns watching proper riots which make the Cronulla “ riots “ look like a Mother’s Day picnic and the coppers tolerate it cause they understand the cause of the community unrest. They empathise and indulge it as far as they can. Then I’m meant to concede to the race war flights of fancy of some control freak authoritarian on the internet telling me how things are......get fucked.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:34am

Fully agree, this is a media beat up and opportunistic take of events that are occurring overseas. Aimed to inflame emotional responses.
The kids parents/ family/ elders etc should be condoning this kids actions of threatening to break a police officers jaw.
As a young influential kid still learning his place in the world, he should be learning the lesson that threatening to break anyones jaw is likely to result with serious consequences. As opposed to been taught he is the victim.
Learning some respect would be a good start.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:36am

I think the story is getting more airplay than it deserves purely on the back of the US protests.

I'm in no way surprised by that, the media will always look for connections whether it be football, real estate, or politics. I find nothing shocking or controversial around it. I can make up my own mind thank you very much.

After viewing the video I think the officer over-reacted, you can see the point he clicked, but I also don't think it was a case of police brutality. He didn't kick the kid, he swept his legs out. Some may disagree. I think it was a beat up and wouldn't have made top slot if not for happenings elsewhere.

But none of that precludes the claims that you've made about racism, that I've seen and heard myself, on the ground, at the places we're currently talking about.

It's admirable that you think people should act with integrity, and I dont doubt you do, but you can't gloss over real world behaviour to match your pre-fab colour scheme.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:40am

Great that the coppers, "understand the cause of the community unrest".

However, for everything you've written it doesn't sound like you do.

EDIT: That's gonna come off sounding harsh. It isn't intended to be. There are degrees of appreciation for what blackfellas have suffered and how the scars of history manifest. You tend to say 'everything's equal now so it's all good', I say the scars of history will take a while to heal, and so tend towards the longview.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:49am

Point being , Stu, this media push isn’t hype to sell flat screen TV s or pump real estate prices , this is a premeditated attempt to generate racial tension. It’s a ham fisted way of justifying anyone who wants to act like a fuckwit at this weekends protest marches. It’s taken an unsubstantiated opinion to exaggerate the narrative that racial tension and police sanctioned brutality is killing black Australians.

That’s unambiguously what this SERIES of articles is attempting to do.

Where’s the outrage at dog whistling ? Where’s the condemnation ?

There is none because this is exactly what the amateur authoritarians want. They crave permission to beat people over the head with their sanctimony.

You know it’s true. Fuckwits , so well represented by Vic Local , are the crew who will be telling you that it’s sexist and gender oppressing to dress in drag in a couple of years time.

Their goal isn’t community harmony it’s getting the power to tell you what you are and aren’t permitted to think , say and do.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 9:51am

Not sure what you’re trying to say if you’re not saying that I don’t understand the reasoning of blackfella action.

I say that scars take time to heal , sure. I’m also saying that the concept of systemic and entrenched racism in Australia is outdated.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:04am

good onya blowin, the protests in america are now largely about donald trump and the resistance more than anything else, disappointing but true...

the US is a very different country to oz, both in its history and outcomes

We dont need to import that shit here, we dont have donald trump!

The sydney incident is unfortunate, not really surprising, but more disappointing than anything really, most disappointing that a cop could actually be that dumb in the current context, as stunet points out

fwiw, you guys are talking about two different things, blowin endeavours to not be a dick in fighting racism, and stunet embraces the same, with an understanding and appreciation of systemic racism

the idea of systemic racism is quite ambiguous about its nature and proposed solutions, either intently, or just because the concept is still all over the shop

yes there is systemic racism, if you're totally educated about it. And yes there's systemic racism if you live it everyday, but really the fact we're addressing systemic racism, just shows how far the racism argument has developed

systemic racism is how much a system sees itself from the discriminated person's perspective. and as a product, what the system is willing to do to accomodate 'the other'. the problem with this thinking is, it is classic identity politics, where we identify the minority, then decide how much the majority space gives to accomodate the minority within the system. noble, but troubled...

or you smash the whole system, as some are proposing

systemic racism can also be what blowin sees in policies that have developed to address inequalities in oz

balancing those is australia's problem, not imitating a mindset from thousands of kilometres away that has long lost it's main cause

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:05am

oz is pretty good, lets not fuck it up

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:05am

Blowin needs to understand that black people are sick of white guys like him telling them how they feel.
You aren't Aboriginal or African American, you are a white loudmouth who spends his life talking shit on a surf website, a fucking Trump supporter as well. You think you know everything, even claim to have a Mensa IQ, but you are white, you can't speak for them and don't know how it feels. Just shut the fuck up. And you don't know what gaslighting is either.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:08am

interesting interview with the mum on abc yesterday

lots of talk of respect needed

not just from the cops

her minders would have been having internal convulsions. a good honest discussion

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:08am

VL, I my opinion the 430 odd indigenous deaths in custody is a little headline grabbing also. Approximately 20 % of deaths in custody are indigenous yet indigenous people account for an approximate of 30% of inmates, while only been approximately 3% of the population. This highlights that indigenous crime/ incarceration rate is very disproportionate. Deaths in custody values also include natural causes such as heartattacks , cancer etc.,, approximately 70% Therefore age demographics need to assessed also.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 10:50am

Wow, It really does boggle the mind that whities like blowin can say Australia doesn't have a problem with racism. This is the same blowin who loves Hanson and Trump, and wanted to round up South Koreans for deportation just last month. This is the same blowin who just makes up statistics to "back up" his anti-Chinese rants.
And this is the same blowin who denies systematic racism in the judicial system because 20% of deaths in custody happen to indigenous people despite indigenous people making up only being 3% of the population. (His figures)
I'm kinda over redneck white Australians telling everyone what is, and isn't racism. They have a staggering ability to ignore the fricken obvious like 50 people being blown away in Christchurch by a racist Australian. Fuck, even Hanson isn't a racist according to these flogs.
Blowin, you're a text book racist, and your arguments are pathetic.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 12:06pm

Always a treat to wake up to another glorious day, dispense with the daily chores, then plug into Swellnet, and peruse what's what on the dial.

Interesting stuff.

What dead cat has got Gloria the parrot's goat (what a menagerie!) today, I wonder?

Is there a racial tinge?

Bingo!

And a full page of do-si-do-ing and tip-toeing through the tulips to digest!

How best to summarise? What are the hi/lo lights?

"...the FALSE NOTION that Black people are targeted and persecuted by police in Australia."

"There are systemic power structures built along racial lines that you either can't or don't want to see.
You may be genuine - i.e you can't see those disparities - but I imagine to other people it looks like apathy, or worse, a cover for genuine racism."

"I say that scars take time to heal , sure. I’m also saying that the concept of systemic and entrenched racism in Australia is outdated."

"...yes there is systemic racism, if you're totally educated about it. And yes there's systemic racism if you live it everyday, but really the fact we're addressing systemic racism, just shows how far the racism argument has developed."

"Blowin needs to understand that black people are sick of white guys like him telling them how they feel.
You aren't Aboriginal or African American, you are a white loudmouth who spends his life talking shit on a surf website, a fucking Trump supporter as well. You think you know everything, even claim to have a Mensa IQ, but you are white, you can't speak for them and don't know how it feels. Just shut the fuck up. And you don't know what gaslighting is either."

"And this is the same blowin who denies systematic racism in the judicial system because 20% of deaths in custody happen to indigenous people despite indigenous people making up only being 3% of the population. (His figures)."

Whew! Heady stuff!

Before we take a musical break, I think this last statement best sums up the deep feeling on display here:

"I’ve been beaten up by the police ....where’s my multiple front page articles ?"

Ah yes, a new sort of 'white man's burden'...

Now take it away, Nollsy.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 12:51pm

"VL, I my opinion the 430 odd indigenous deaths in custody is a little headline grabbing also. Approximately 20 % of deaths in custody are indigenous yet indigenous people account for an approximate of 30% of inmates, while only been approximately 3% of the population. This highlights that indigenous crime/ incarceration rate is very disproportionate. Deaths in custody values also include natural causes such as heartattacks , cancer etc.,, approximately 70% Therefore age demographics need to assessed also."

Yes as you point out the deaths in custody of indigenous people is slightly lower than non indigenous, you can read more about it here from an indigenous person with studies and further links.

https://www.anthonydillon.com.au/single-post/2019/07/07/A-Closer-Look-at...

It's the same deal in the USA the stats dont support the current narratives.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/the-wall-street-journal/george...

https://theconversation.com/our-database-of-police-officers-who-shoot-ci...

BTW. Blowin respect you for having the balls to open this can of worms, but its kind of pointless, facts dont matter, this forum is overrun by narrow minded people that hold onto cliches and stereotypes, you will always be out numbered and people like Facto and Vic can never have a decent civil debate they will just name call and bring insults to try to shut you down, always playing the man and not the ball, all the while trying to take some moral high ground.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 2:42pm

it's a bullshit number indo, that you could spin any way you want, if you try hard enough. in isolation it means nothing. incarceration rates are what it is about, talk about that and how to reduce it and you might get somewhere

but to say it's a bullshit number you'll get shouted down as racist, just like many ip arguments, they just don't stand up to scrutiny. they are some deitic concept not to be challenged

decades of over focussing on abstract concepts rather than solutions his has left advocates rather pantless across the board

400 deaths is a tragedy, and relative poverty is probably the biggest contributor, its a class issue being undermined

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 2:35pm

What's a bullshit number sypkan? Please tell me you don't mean 430.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm

White privilege

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 3:49pm

@Sypkan

"incarceration rates are what it is about, talk about that and how to reduce it and you might get somewhere"

Obviously incarceration rates are linked directly to a high crime rate. (not just in the community but at home, domestic violence etc)

The cliche answer as we all know is to blame it all on intergenerational trauma and white fella, and then just throw as much money that way as they can, and do it year after year and then wonder why nothing changes.

If we dig deeper im sure it's way more complex.

Just look at PNG it has a people and culture possibly the closest to Torres strait islanders and indigenous Australians, they don't have the same history of colonisation or current colonisation, so cant blame it all on intergenerational trauma and are a country and government governed by their own people, yet they still have exactly all the same issues, extremely high levels of domestic violence, an extremely high homicide rate, crime in general quite high, alcohol and drug abuse issues etc.

That aspect aside obviously there is also a big social economic factor, basically too much time and not enough money, which in any culture in this day and age leads to boredom lack of direction/ambition/goal, self medication with alcohol and drugs and higher suicide rates than community with higher employment and incomes.

That issue is easier fixed with education and employment, but for many indigenous people that would mean encouraging them to leave their homelands be it remote or even regional areas, which would be seen as culture destroying so will never happen.

So realistically i don't expect too much will change moving forward.

But imagine if the government had a scheme where they covered the wages of an indigenous person for a set period like 5 to 10 years this would encourage business to employe indigenous people lifting them out of social economic disadvantage, providing work history and skills and help end current social economic disadvantage cycles, it would also ensure more side by side interaction between indigenous and non indigenous people which would combat any racism and bring people together.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 3:42pm

Haha you guys have not clue about how our brothers and sisters.Super perceptive people that can sense a fuckwit by just looking at them.Have grown up all my life and interacted with our people which has formed my opinions about certain types which seem prevalent on these forums.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 3:50pm

Yay Facto has brought Snuffy out to play.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 4:04pm

A new low blowin. You're such a fucking knob.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 5 Jun 2020 at 4:16pm

The person who coined the term white privilege also coined the term white fragility.

Not so keen on the first but the second has more topical resonance.