Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:03am

Are they concurrently promoting tourism as this plays out ? One talking head on the TV suggested discouraging domestic visitors in order to exand the available room for international visitors.

https://www.governmentnews.com.au/queensland-town-crippled-by-its-own-su...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 10:25am
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 10:33am

That is interesting.

Just reinforces that the ultimate goal to aim for in life is happiness. Often there is no advantage in being aware of any personal deficiencies. In fact it’s sometimes best that you remain blissfully ignorant of any shortcomings which are beyond your control.

The smartest / richest / strongest/ most admired person isn’t necessarily the happiest. That’s the true measure of success.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 11:04am

Well now that the Liberal/ Nationals have the election in the bag it looks like foreign backpackers will have more time to spend in idyllic locations like Noosa with the working holiday visas being increased from two to three years.

They just have to spend more time working in regional areas being exploited by the people who returned this government to power.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-16/calls-to-regulate-backpacker-work...
Another young backpacker, Emily, staying in Far North Queensland for her working holiday, moved to a house where a 40-year-old male landlord lived with six young female backpackers.

"The way the system works enables and allows these kinds of people to do these kinds of things, because everyone is so desperate to get this type of work."

“How good is Australia?”

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 11:12am

Nice photo, YS.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:50pm

Cheers blowin. It was a small day but beautiful water colour.

Hope your eye is healing up well after your operation?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 1:35pm

Great shot.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 3:00pm

Yeah , epic shot. Looks even better enlarged.

Funny you should ask about the eye.

Since I’ve had the cataract for over two years , I wasn’t aware of how much I’d grown accustomed to the lack of vision.

The cataract on your lens is akin to a callous in that it’s a hardening of the soft tissue. It makes focus near impossible and clouds the lens . The end result is similar to the view you get looking through an opaque , textured window like a bathroom window.

The first thing that struck me on removing the bandages on the morning after the operation ( yesterday ) , was the vividness of colour. The eye was still a bit damaged from the surgery but recovered very quickly. Each hour was an incredible improvement.

There was still radical distortion in my sight though. So I went for a little walk to get the blood flowing and have a look at the ocean. There is a big mob of kangaroos that live around the corner in the park next to the beach and I started trying to count them to force my eyes to focus at different distances at speed.

This was near impossible. My new eye has an artificial lens which is twice the strength of my existing eye , so it’s like one eye is looking through a telescope whilst the other is normal. To be honest , It was freaking me out.

So I decided to just close my eyes for a second and concentrate on my breathing in order to relax. When I opened my eyes it was the trippiest experience ever. Just by relaxing my mind I’d allowed it to take in what my eyes were seeing , as opposed to trying to impose my old way of seeing over new eyes.

All of a sudden the world seemed to stretch and melt into three dimensions. It was incredible. Very similar to the sensation of looking at one of those Magic Eye 3D images which changes when you let your focus drift.

It was truly a revelation.

I’d gotten so used to looking at the world through one eye that my brain had forgotten how to view things in binary. I’d been trying to look at two mono images rather than allowing the view from both eyes to mesh.

It was crazy. Like looking at the world for the first time. The depth of perception and clarity, the detail and heightened sense of engagement made me feel giddy with joy. No exaggeration.....giddy !

I felt like the fella in avatar when he gets his new body .

Look after your eyes people. They’re a blessing.

GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 3:01pm

The only charity i donate to is The Fred Hollows one.

GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN's picture
GONAD_MAN Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 3:01pm

The only charity i donate to is The Fred Hollows one.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm

Now I know why everyone was so stoked when Fred pulled the bandages off their faces in the ads.

I also gave a moments thought to Dr Hollows when I was getting anxious whilst sitting around in the arseless gown waiting to go into surgery.

It helped the nerves to realise that I was getting the same operation in a modern medical facility, with the full compliment of professional attendants , as Fred had managed to successfully pull off whilst bent over the communal well in the muddy town square of a remote village.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 3:32pm

i'm in need of eye surgery, in one eye -- it's a bit more complicated than cornea replacement and requires a few days in hospital.
i'm very reluctant to have the operation, given the risk of losing all sight in the eye, and i don't trust the surgeons. so, i figure i can live with how things are.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 3:34pm

"I’d gotten so used to looking at the world through one eye that my brain had forgotten how to view things in binary."

Hmmmm, yasss, fascinating.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 5:13pm

Good to hear your eyes have had such an improvement mate! Like chook I need to have some kind of eye surgery one day but I’m nervous about having a blade on my eyeball.
Probably not as serious as you guys but I’ve got pterygium growths on both eyes from a lifetime of surfing. I keep putting it off because it’s not affecting my vision but it’s slowly growing over my corneas. It’s on the to do list but I’m not looking forward to it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 5:35pm

As much as it’s an everyday procedure, it still induces a bit of anxiety when they run through the list of possible problems occurring during and after the surgery. They just do it due to legal obligation, doesn’t make the problems sound any more appealing.

The result for myself is indescribably better than I’d dare hope.

If you’re really suffering, get it sorted.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 5:49pm

tbb has Central Serous Retinopathy in both eyes
Imagine blotchy distorted Psychedelic fluro vision with eyes open or closed.
At it's worst it's Impossible to sleep,drive or read, so very exhausting.
Paranoid of 'walking' for falling into imaginary holes in floor and walls.

Diagnosis.(10 years ago)
A friend asked me why I was bizarrely bending perfectly good Fencing Nails.
I replied I can't find a Flat bit of concrete without hollows to straighten them....
He then said the concrete is flat & all my good nails were now bent...(Not good!)

Anyhow the next 3 months was a whirling dervish of lava Lamps for eyes...24/7.
My only wish was for partial relief, then one day it retreated a little then more.
Doctors say most usually recover fully in 6 months. Half I met can only wish so.
[factcheck] 1st disease treated by laser.

Today I'm left with several random blotches in each eye.
Each eye views straight lines bending opposite to the other as does all corners.
Each eye varies all objects in distance,thickness & depth
In my view a spinning Globe resembles a wobbling Potato.
A doorway is a shapeshifting portal.

This Screen is peppered in exploding shadows with flecks of dancing colour.
The Screen frame & borders/widths won't stop alternating in any direction.
Crews comments resemble a wobbly bowl of Alphabet Spaghetti.

tbb respects fellow CSR sufferer's rather mundane but good mono example...
https://www.bmj.com/content/329/7480/1483
Swirl several blotches in both eyes wobble in/out & multi colour tint for full CSR.

tbb mixes in Labrynthitis to offset the CSR.
Far as i can tell,surfers may get this from wave pressure in super sandy thick slabs.
Tell me! Basherz home away from home....What to do?

No! Neither ever leave me! I've tried reverse barrel rolls but that only brings them on.
A bit like when you're seeing stars (Not the nite ones) Yes! Like the cartoon ones!
Perhaps like 'peak tripping' with freaky wobbling stuff flying about the room.

Only it never stops. tbb lives with about 30% CSR & recurring mild Labyrinthitis.
Thankfully I no longer see Fluro Disco or fall over...at this moment of time.

[footnote] Those Supermarket floor ads would freak you out.
No matter the laughter...I simply couldn't walk over one or i'd fall into the chasm.
You know like a Chocolate Bar rising from the floor becomes a real live event.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 5:56pm

damn, basher. that sounds like some a freaky, frustrating condition.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:19pm

Holy shit.

That’s heavy mate.

Any idea what brought it on ?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 3:50am

Go blowin!
No fear of a knife or laser upon eyes...Salute to crew who've led the way!

GC doctor stitched a tooth on an eye to cure blindness...wait till ya read how!
http://www.mygc.com.au/gold-coast-surgeon-cures-blindness-stitching-toot...

No doubt tbb shit is weird but hardly ranks in most horrid 1,000 incurable ailments.
Admittedly both CSR & Labyrinthitis 1st bouts are overwhelming & last longest
Each bout seems less shocking but ever frustrating.
Bonus being they mostly trigger modest headaches & pain, fixed with rest'n'tablet
They do refer to some scar tissue problems in CSR procedure.

CSR is attributed to extra pressure upon eyes from within or outer body.
Bi-polar/Sleep apnea/Blood Pressure/Erratic heartbeat/Steroids.
External Air pressure from shock / pressure waves or altitude changes or bombing.
Obvious candidates...Soldiers/Pilots but mostly highlighted by routine physicals.
(Constant Face off with a heavy dirty Wedge slab will do it for our crew)

Labrynthitis is due to inflammation by virus (Colds) or Cold/Water Pressure
List includes Water Borne Swimmers,Divers,Bodysurfers.

Basherz plunge headfirst into filthy slabs at speed (Blows yer brains out!)
Go easy on the rad barrel rolls kidz...not stupidly like burleybodybash'nbuny!p.

[footnote] Yesterday at Hospital...GC doctors had tbb for 2 corrective operations.
Sent me out for top brass photos for operation last year!
tbb turned 56 this year that disqualifies me from 1st one.
Not being ideal 90kg for 6ft 1inch patient disqualifies me from the 2nd one.
Doesn't matter the $600 tbb donated to GC hospital...(fuck off ! Ya fat old bastard!)

Why bother with GP & Hospital visits knowing that bouncers would turf tbb out.
[mediscare] now Scomo's [Deathscare] 'Please Tick off Surgery form for the team?'
Feel better now! That never hurt a bit...10,000 form guides wave another goodbye!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 4:36pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 5:15pm

Thought the better of it Blowy?
I reckon it was a reasonable post.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm

Relocated to Poltico ( Trump - like or hate ) if you deem it worth your sanity to return.

Bit of attempted reformation gone on down there.

You think I should repost the Iran thing back here ? I miss the discussions . Enough to have done something about it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 5:48pm

Washington Post pushing for war on Iran , just like they did when they pushed for war on Iraq ( 27 pro war editorials supporting Bush invading).

So much for Trump being the threat to world peace. It’s because of the very fact that he opposes military conflict that the Military Industrial Complex, with the aid of the MSM ,have tried to depose him with fictional Russian collusion narrative .

Trump is being railroaded into war with Iran. Rogue US generals have tried to wedge him politically with a false flag operation wherein they attacked oil tankers and blamed Iran. This failed ,so they provoked Iran with drone incursion into sovereign airspace until the Iranians shot down the drone.

The assumption was that Trump would be forced to retaliate or appear weak. Trump used the brilliant political move to reply that his respect for humanity was greater than the need to respond to loss of an unmanned drone.

The Industrial Military Complex and their MSM support will continue to create conflict between the USA and Iran. Another false flag attack is likely.

One of the most vocal proponents of attacking Iran is the Republican congresswoman Liz Cheney......the daughter of the warmonger Dick Cheney who was the main proponent of the illegal invasion of Iraq.

Trump is literally our best hope for peace. He has broadcast his intentions to increase the peace since day one of his election campaign . The warmonger Clinton was not meant to lose the election, this failure to assure a continuance of war was not acceptable.

. Be aware of the MSM increasing the drumbeat for war.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-east/to-avoid-a-wider-war-iran-must-...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 5:55pm

Can't disagree with any of that though it's debatable whether the drone was in Iranian air space or in air space claimed by Iran.

But at the same time as apparently refusing to get physical, Trump is still responsible for imposing on Iran the harshest sanctions ever seen - some say that an effective financial blockade is just as bad as a naval blockade, which is itself considered an act of war in international law.

Curious.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/donald-trump-owns-this-iran-crisis/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 7:55pm

Hang on, I thought politics was off the front page?

Now we get this??

One peanut in particular forced anything political into the nether regions of this site, and now he's snivelling back like nothing happened.

And double-posting the same post so one can get on the front page??

I know attention-seeking disorder should be pitied somewhat...but really?

The front page needs to be bombarded by this kind of ill-informed guff again?

There's a plethora of threads elsewhere covering all things Trump. One post there suffices surely. Why do we need another one here on the front page?

What's next China? Immigration? Aboriginal Australians?

Make up your minds.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 7:56pm

What's ill-informed about what's written above?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm

The Jews- but you can't go there.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 8:19pm

Paragraphs 2, 3, 4, and especially 7.

Anyway, Interesting stuff?

https://www.aconsciousrethink.com/8494/attention-seeking-behavior/

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 8:21pm

Those damn Jews, controlling the military-industrial complex along with Hollywood and the MSM.
One minute they're stealing sacramental bread and the next they're taking over the world.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 8:24pm

Hey Facto, care to offer a civil rebuttal then?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Jun 2019 at 8:38pm

Andy - Thanks for the link . Filling in the gaps.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 12:19pm

Andy, politics was banished from the front page mainly due to the individual who is now desperately trying to sneak it back because...?

"I miss the discussions" ??

And under his terms?

"Without devolving into insult".

Laughable. From this individual who, through pure contrariness and insult, caused this situation.

But, but he's missed the discussions so much!

"Enough to have done something about it."

Born again! Hallejulah!

And as believable as Trump.

History will be the ultimate rebuttal for both of 'em, I wager. Sooner rather than later.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 12:13pm

Ben:

"Yep, Politico threads have been removed from the front page.

Totally happy for you guys to nut it out in these threads, but TBH we've been getting pretty tired of the front page displaying a revolving door of political commentary (via the 'In The Forums' latest comments). The Politico forum attracts a tiny percentage of our users, but over the last year or so, has seemingly occupied a permenant position on the homepage. I was hoping it'd abate post-election but the reverse seems to have occured.

We're a surfing site, and would much prefer to promote a broader spread of discussions around more relevant topics. Like surfing. Or waves. Or surfboards. Or surf travel. Or something kinda related to surfing.

We are planning a big makeover of the entire Forums section (a general look n' feel, plus some new functionality), but in the meantime this is a short term measure designed to improve the aesthetics of the front page.

Hope y'all understand.

Thanks."

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 12:17pm

Until such a time as discussed above eventuates (?), is this thread going to be apolitical - big P politics - or what?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 1:11pm

Just a wee snippet of weekend world news.
UK Govt 'Record' 50+ resignations
https://inews.co.uk/news/cabinet-resignations-list-ministers-resigned-la...
US Govt 'Record' 50+ resignations
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/16/us/politics/all-the-major...

Oz (Previous Govt) 'Record' 50+ resignations
(Re: Wiki & assorted News.)

Western World Leader's 'Record' Resignations...
Turns out Right Wing leaders are biggest bludgers of all.
Jobs! Jobs! 100's of Jobs! They sure don't want them!

PS: Full rant is filed under Trump....Don't go there!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 1:23pm

It has got pretty pictures though, hey TBB?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 6:52pm

But Facto, you revel in that stuff, you're a key player.
I appreciate that you have a, let's say, personal issue with Blowin but if you don't like what's going on just leave it be or at least offer a counter rather than a sledge.
You've killed more threads than I can remember.

Yeah things can be frustrating but that's life, no?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 7:24pm

Don't let 'facts' get in the way of a comfortable narrative, hey?

Keep calm and carry on.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 23 Jun 2019 at 9:02pm
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 1:06pm

R U OK?

Give it up.

P'tai's picture
P'tai's picture
P'tai Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 8:40am

This is no longer interesting stuff.............Hijacked.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 9:25am

Are prices in Australia getting cheaper ?

Went for lunch at a little town recently bypassed by the main highway. Bowl of chips and gravy - $5. Deluxe burger $10. The cost of both would have been at least 50 percent higher at the same venue only a year ago. The pub has als been renovated, so it’s perhaps more indicative of meeting the market than a lack of cash.

Apparently fuel is $1.32/litre in mid west WA !

Have we turned the corner ? Sooner or later , the cost of living outstripping wage growth will bite and show itself . Prices will become competitive in order to secure a slice of the dwindling consumer demand.

Has it begun ?

I’ve always fund the regions to be the canary in the coal mine as far as revealing the state of the nation goes.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 10:17am

"But Facto, you revel in that stuff, you're a key player.
I appreciate that you have a, let's say, personal issue with Blowin but if you don't like what's going on just leave it be or at least offer a counter rather than a sledge.
You've killed more threads than I can remember.

Yeah things can be frustrating but that's life, no?"

Good onya andym, always willing to point out hypocrisy, with a moderate voice of reason and the reasonable...

pretty funny the accusations and labels the self proclaimed brainiac is willing to throw around, always right and always free of guilt...

Be it 'toxic shit', ' confirmation bias, a heap of others, and some weirdass sam newman syndrome, the accuser seems to be the biggest victim and peddler of his own accusations...

seriously lacking any self awareness and probable complictness in our current state of debate.

Just like the guardianista's and corpro democrats...

funny stuff to observe from afar

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 10:39am

speaking of which, and related to the trump iran discussion above...

I've recently had access to cnn news channel, bloody hilarious watching the presenters split hairs, and twist facts, trying their dammedest to paint trump in a bad light for no doubt doing the right thing re. the iran situation.

the bias runs deep amongst the minions

love or hate donald trump, you've got to give him credit for trying to avoid another ME war, and for sticking to his 'be less interventionist' election promise....

or not....

I'm guessing not for many people...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 10:42am

Silly to try and talk over the echoes facto.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 10:59am

Marijuana has been used for millennia in all manner of medicine and therapeutics. The recent reestablishment of marijuana as a benefit to humanity within modern society is beginning to take many interesting turns.

Not least of which is the empirical confirmation of Cannabidiol -one of the non-psychotropic components of cannabis- as an effective antibiotic.

Not only is it effective initially in its application against many bacteria, but it’s beginning to emerge that the bacteria do not develop resistance to the antibiotic properties of the Cannabidiol.

An antibiotic which has no ill effects on humans and animals, to which bacteria such as Staph do not develop a resistance is almost as significant a discovery as that of penicillin.

Shame that it’s benevolence has been denied for the last century , but it’s all eyes on the future now !

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 1:06pm

love or hate donald trump, you've got to give him credit for trying to avoid another ME war, and for sticking to his 'be less interventionist' election promise....

Agree.
Imagine what we would be talking about right now if Hitlary Clinton had of been elected president.

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 1:33pm

We would have been talking about a stable agreement with Iran and no risk of war. You want to credit Trump for not starting a war when he undermined that international agreement and unilaterally placed sanctions on them. Yeh right, usual Trumpista bullshit.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 24 Jun 2019 at 1:41pm

No sign of prices getting cheaper here.

When pies broke through the 5 dollar barrier that was a sign we'd turned into a high cost country.