Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm

Oh ,Derek Reilly .

I’ve so enjoyed your writing over the years. The effervescent cynicism wth the kinky taint. Brutal self deprecation. Relentless piss- taking driven by admirable forthrightness . Your tenure at ASL was a glorious epoch. The stab years were revelatory. Beach grit is pointed fun .

Despite the prolonged and unashamedly bold misappropriation of your defining voice which still exists to this minute at Stab , you’ve been a unique personality for fucking years.

My little internet homage today was prompted by this :

“If these non-surfers can be engaged, so goes the reasoning, well, there ain’t no reason why pro surfing can’t be as big as NFL or the NBA: salaries in the tens of millions, cities and towns at a standstill as they watch Willian Cardoso examine the colourful reef fish in the Teahupoo channel, families sunk deep in their microfibre couches as they watch six hours of surfing over twelve non-elimination heats in day one, of four.“

This had me in stitches.

Personally, I think your high water mark was when you related the story of a little nugget of poo tumbling from between your tensed buttocks to the carpet in your boss’s office, after your kink du jour of postponing the urge to defecate was greedily pushed beyond physical limitations.

Thanks for the good times Mr Reilly.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 4:11pm

Ye worlde* according to Rupert

*well, the places he holds sway. US, UK, Oz. Hmmm, what's their political circuses like again?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 4:30pm

Tuning into this https://m.

According to a young Indo competitor ( 15 years old , perhaps Oney Anwar’s brother ? ) , 50 percent of the crowd is Israeli !!!!

This young Indo is articulate in English, well travelled and worldly. Amazing the difference a few years makes to the state of play. As a commentator he puts the WSL A team in the shade . Maybe not Ronnie. Makes Turpel seem like a vapid , beige-toned corporate mouthpiece without a hint of original thought , insight or ability to entertain.

Mitch Parko about to hit the water vs an Indian , another Israeli and ????

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm

Maurice Cole instagram re: permanent walkway at Bells.

“The WSL/ Surfing Vic with the Surfcoast Shire, are proposing a 1 m 50 high x60 m long elevated walkway above winky pop. This would save money and would also become a permanent infrastructure so that when we have the Easter pro, they can use The walkway and not have to build scaffolding. The eyesore that will be created from this elevated walkway means for the other 360 days of the year the local surfers and visitors will lose forever the beautiful views that we all love and cherish from the water. One of the great things about the Bells Beach surfing reserve, is that we want our kids and grandkids to be able to surf/walk and be able to marvel at the beauty of this area. A survey has been put out by the Surfcoast Shire, which is dodgy at best,”

Dodgy alright

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 7:55pm

You're kidding?

I could only imagine what it would look like but why on earth do people want to mess things up?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 8:19pm

Is surfing Vic a private company ?

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 27 Sep 2019 at 6:32am

Not sure what the setup is with the surfing associations, but it seems to be another case of public funds for private benefit. And a design of more benefit to the private than it is to the public

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:24am
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 10:12am

Even the U.S Federal Reserve is shining a light on the relationship between Australia's population growth and its "economic growth".

"A US Federal Reserve bank has taken aim at the Morrison government’s boast that the Australian economy has enjoyed “28 years of uninterrupted growth”, suggesting it has experienced three recessions in that time and relies excessively on immigration."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/economics/youve-had-three-rece...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 2:53pm

The article is paywalled Andy. For some reason I doubt you're a subscriber to The (un) Australian.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm

Love that faith you have in me VJ.

I'm not a subscriber but for some reason it still let me read it.
I'm actually surprised that the Australian printed an article like that to be honest.

That quote is the essence.

Edit: locked me out this time.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 4:07pm

Ha I'm quietly chuffed ypu got me and VJ mixed up

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 5:19pm

High praise ;)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 6:45pm

thanks I think guys :)

You know you've stepped in it when the Fed notices...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 6:49pm

Interesting stuff: late weekend reading, a superb series of articles from a Journo to the far left of Castro or Trotsky, nevertheless her research is superb:

http://www.theartofannihilation.com/the-manufacturing-of-greta-thunberg-...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:02pm

& Blowin, that tribute to Rielly above was really nicely written.
Beachgrit is a faster, more sardonic and concise form of the forums here. They are having a field day with the VAL meme - have we done this at Swellnet yet?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:11pm

No worries Guy Smiley.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:13pm

:P

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 7:28pm

What?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 11:22pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 8:10am

Nice link , VJ.

And further down the rabbit hole we go.....the Big 4 banks taking a page out of nature’s instruction manual on how the tail of parasitic entities develop the power to wag their dog hosts.

So far we have the public sustaining the viability of the banks via ;
1/ Deposit guarantees
2/ government mandated Transactional necessitation .
3/ First home owner guarantees .
4/ Charitable fund allocation to bank customers.

That’s all I’ve got off the top of my head, no doubt there’s much more

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150316-ten-parasites-that-control-minds

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 7:39am

VJ - Extremely interesting the Thunberg link . I’d never heard of the New Green Deal , the rush to privatise nature and the planned usurpation of that Last Lassiter’s Reef of Money : the world’s pension funds.

Cheers . Much more reading to be done there.

“ She’s not the messiah - she’s a very potent tool of social engineering “.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 7:56am

@Blowin This video is also interesting, and kind of related to the bigger picture.

Background check on who he is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Ayyadurai

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 11:19am

It would appear the doctor doesn't understand, perhaps willingly, the purpose of a carbon tax. 11 minutes and not once does he mention it as a price instrument but rushes headlong into conspiracy central.

Fella's got his playbook for Republican election primed and ready.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:14pm

Doesn’t diminish the issue of who benefits financially

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:37pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Ayyadurai

That makes him sound like a total shyster/liar.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm

IPCC= Al Gore and the Bushes!!!!

ghahahaaahaaahahhaha.

fcuking hell Indo, you really get sucked in by this?

sorry, I got 3 minutes in and turned off. Life is too short to watch conspiracy crap on you-toob.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 1:16pm

@Blowin,

But it does. The point of a carbon tax as a price instrument is to penalise fossil fuels and give a leg up to alternative energy sources till they become established. The opposite of subsidies if you like.

Like other indirect taxes (tobacco et al), the purpose is to phase out, not to continue unabated as he says in the vid.

This bloke doesn't even mention tthe economic theory but dives headlong into conspiracy theorising.

Sorry, that vid comes across more as culture war bullshit from a Republican politician in the making.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 1:31pm

I mean who ends up with the money from the carbon tax ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 1:54pm

Blowin.. "Compensation to industry and households was funded by the revenue derived from the charge."

"As part of the scheme, personal income tax was reduced for those earning less than $80,000 per year and the tax-free threshold was increased from $6,000 to $18,200."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 2:09pm

Huh ?

If you use carbon you get taxed , then you get compensated for paying the tax ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm

No, it's for the big emitters..

"The scheme required entities which emit over 25,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent greenhouse gases per year, and which were not in the transport or agriculture sectors, to obtain emissions permits, called carbon units. Carbon units were either purchased from the government or issued free as part of industry assistance measures."

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_pricing_in_Australia

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 3:42pm

Alex Jones, where are yooouuuu?

Hang on...

YOU'RE HERE?!

YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE!!!!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 5:00pm

"VJ - Extremely interesting the Thunberg link . I’d never heard of the New Green Deal , the rush to privatise nature and the planned usurpation of that Last Lassiter’s Reef of Money : the world’s pension funds."

Glad you read it - did you get the takeaway message? By privatising and commodifying nature, giving it a $ value and making it a tradeable on a financial market - the exact activity you did to your old bush block is going to become quite valuable!

I really liked the lady's take of Greta and the organisations like 'We Don't Have Time". It will be like instagrm peer pressure, faecebook likes dictating policy on climate with social media popularity (shaming, that is); the WDHT organisation will give your company their tick of approval (for $$) just like the 'Australian Made' green & gold labels; there will be jobs for carbon surveyors; there will be tradeable markets in carbon prices where us unscrutables can launch put ratio backspreads on the futures; you can go find some amazing bits of nature near nice waves and rejuvenate them for ca$h; and in doing so things will get cleaner and Capitalism will be saved; and whiteness too. Go Greta!

That last bit I say facetiously, however the links really are worth a morning's read, very valuable. You are later promised to see who stands behind the curtain... And yes those pension funds, *so* enticing...

Meanwhile, China and India will continue to release CO2 in massive amounts.

But I do like the idea of protecting a chunk of good nature, this appeals to everyone. Maybe I can one day rejuvenate some Myrtle forest - or Red Cedar! - near the sea...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 5:29pm

Also, some good background reading, in spirit with what Greta is trying to achieve. Great article by VC Erik Janszen from the depths of the GFC. He thought next bubble would be 'green' but we got the 'everything bubble' instead. Next one's green? It shows you how the fin system needs successively bigger bubbles to paper over the last implosion, and that a mix of govco regulation, monetary spamming, and something of some form of substance, are the ingredients needed for any bubble

https://harpers.org/archive/2008/02/the-next-bubble/

top writing then and now

edit: lol, current harper's bannerline is "do we really need the constitution" hahahahaha - why hell no, do whatever you want! Form a soviet, harpers!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Oct 2019 at 11:10am

Very interesting, VJ.

Cheers. FIRE is out of control.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 1 Oct 2019 at 9:29pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Oct 2019 at 6:38am

The ALP now showing its hand as a bought and paid for China mouthpiece.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-relations-are-now-at-a-dangerous...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 2 Oct 2019 at 3:37pm

Oops! Wrong quango!...which way to the drought...all at sea with Angus & Barnaby!
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/drought-relief-no-longer-a-dry-a...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Oct 2019 at 4:02pm

Isn’t it enough that they’re giving money that they have to actually check that it’s being used appropriately ?

So fussy !

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 2 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm

Tractor trek erupts in the Netherlands

It's yellow vests, only with mechanised column

https://twitter.com/hashtag/boerenprotest?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/Paploo968/status/1178935290943197184/photo/1

1100km of traffic congestion around the Hague lmao.

"The demonstrations were sparked after the coalition government proposed that “Dutch livestock farming should be slashed to meet commitments on reducing nitrogen emissions,” reports Dutch News NL"

#boerenprotest

Go Boers! Again, the people are organically rising up (excuse bad pun)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Oct 2019 at 7:19pm

Oh , oh. The world isn’t going to take kindly to the suggestion that they all go vego. Let’s save the planet by all means necessary: Twitter , Facebook , Snapchat .....just not genuine sacrifice.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 6:44pm

Some would say, about bloody time....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/opinion/china-xi-jinping.html?smid=fb...

chickens roosting?

pebbles ponding?

something...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 6:46pm

pretty much how stuff is

https://m.

&feature=share

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm

Yeah that's about it Syppo -when someone tells me they're going to the "bathroom", I say that if they're going in there to bathe they should either seriously reconsider what they're eating or they should see a doctor.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 9:53pm

But everytime I shit it takes about an hour
And theres never any paper so I have to take a shower
And everytime I shower the towels already wet
And its not wet from water but wet with cum and sweat

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 10:12pm

It happens sometimes.

Once I came back from Hong Kong with an earth-shattering case of the squirts.
After a few days, using toilet paper was like trying to jam a live mudcrab up my arse with a burning stick, so it was into the shower every time.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Oct 2019 at 10:19pm

Sometimes it’s the only option. Particularly if it’s full steam from both ends.

Nice visual of the mud crab and the burning stick BTW. Fingers crossed that doesn’t reappear in tonight’s dreams.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 6 Oct 2019 at 3:22pm

Nice follow thru...as Blowin hits the spot!
"Howzat!" Ok...maybe, not so hot!

Nice play on words...turds!