Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 2:40pm

I seriously don't get you indo-dreaming. You have a wife from an Asian background, and yet you scream and carry on about anyone who stands up to racists. I'm old enough to remember the 80s where Asian people (and in particular Vietnamese) were targeted by racist groups. Going out "asian bashing" (and "poof bashing" too) was commonplace for gangs of white youth. The discrimination was rampant as well. Hanson lead the charge in the 90s and her target was almost exclusively Asian people.
There's been nearly 400 reported racist attacks against Asian people since Covid 19 started, and this is the bare minimum figure. It's been estimated that only about 1 in 10 anti-asian attacks gets reported.
I simply can't understand why you shout down people who stand up to the racists. If shit really went downhill, it's the ANTIFA types who would be on the front line to protect your family.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 7:30pm

And how much poofter bashing and targeted Asian bashing goes on these days despite your insistence there is an increased wave of hate crime enveloping the nation?

Of those 400 reported instances of abuse (out of the millions of Asians that call Australia home) how many resulted in physical violence?

Remember, I said even one is too many but I don't see this wave of anti-Asian sentiment that you're pushing.

Maybe you live in a pretty rough area?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 3:27pm

Zenagain, Luckily "poofter bashing" isn't widespread anymore, but in Sydney in the 80s gay people were routinely tossed off cliffs in the Eastern Suburbs. Here's a bit of heavy reading for you.
https://www.sbs.com.au/gayhatedecades/
And we've been through the hate crime stats before on numerous occasions. Like I said, the percentage of hate crimes actually reported is a very small minority of hate crimes committed. Victims don't know where to report crimes, don't bother reporting, because they don't think any action will result, or just go home feeling ashamed.
And guess what Zenagain, there was a widespread dismissal of gay hate crimes in Sydney during the 80s. That didn't mean it wasn't happening.
You say, 1 hate crime is too many. Nearly 400 have been reported, and many more have been committed, but you seem to have more of a problem with me than those bashing and abusing Asian people. Weird priorities mate.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 3:41pm

Sorry mate, you're constantly harking back to the past. Noone is denying that it didn't happen. My contention is that Australia is a much more tolerant and welcoming society than it was despite the fact there are now and always will be a small cohort of narrow-minded prejudiced morons.

And I don't have a problem with you. Like I said the other day, most people on here think you're a wanker. I think you're orright mate, your heart's in the right place.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 3:42pm

OK blowin, help me out here buddy. A member of the "Proud Boys" (an alt right wing racist gang) drives his car at peaceful protestors at a rally, and then shoots one. Tell me again who the fascists are: the Proud Boys or the people at the peaceful rally? It's an either / or question. No need for a long response.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 4:29pm

'hate crime'

...what a vague, all encompassing, self righteous, airy fairy, piece of crap that term is...

despite the left fudging numbers, finding numbers, and redefining reality, all you've got is 400 'hate crimes'

how about you give some real numbers of how many asian people have actually been 'bashed'? ...your words

'hate crimes'

get fucked

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 4:38pm

New Zealand does it again!

Real leadership real results

https://www.theage.com.au/world/oceania/ardern-to-lift-all-coronavirus-r...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 5:52pm

"...but it irks me that people see what is happening in the USA as somehow the fault of the left, be it radical antifa or Democrat Mayors and Governors."

most of the cities with the worst violence are actually democrat run, given america's localised power structure, the mayors and governors are the ones running the show, policing the police, and therefore, must accept some responsibility...

"...It is a fucken mess and the right needs to own it and try to fix it but instead they blame the left and try to promote bullshit reasons like "Antifa"."

its a fucken mess alright, and so 'the left' must 'own it' and 'fix it' as well...

because, its bernie v hilary, and the dnc, that largely created this fucking mess, ...and so, they must own it, fix it. and offer some viable alternatives, offer more than just more division... but nah...

their answer? ....sleepy creepy, totally corrupted, honkey (aged) basement boy biden ...fucken hilarious...

fucken 'own it' alright!

"...I know all about the 21st century antifa movement, a lot of what you say is true about them Blowin, but they are fucken' harmless dweebs mostly..."

so your mates are these guys...

https://mobile.twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1267487985639075843

(some professional soccer material these guys - calling on the cops as means to their end, ...irony much?)

"...with a few dangerous anarcists thrown in."

or is it these guys..

https://mobile.twitter.com/TKQ1777/status/1266941688972378113

https://mobile.twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/1267335981092478981

(worth at least a few looks that last vid, ...so so much going on..., a full cast of 'actors', check out angry storm trooper man at the end, the kit is amazing!) (complete with welding gloves, ..for...)

'...It's a motly unorganized bunch of activists that pose no real threat to the 1% and their wealth and pillage but get used to cover for the fact that the right have fucked it all up,again. It is disappointing that you fall for it Blowin.

believe what you will, I know ignorance is bliss and all... but...

from their website

"...1) We aren’t in contact with every antifa crew in the world (yet!).

In a lot of ways, antifa are more organized than ever before and we’re seeing cross-border collaboration with projects like this tumblr, The International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund, the International Day of Solidarity with Anti-Fascist Prisoners, etc. So while we are building towards the day when we’ll know every antifa crew everywhere, we might not know of an active one in your area...

more irony, ...if you can handle it...

much of what antifa does actually protects 'the 1% and their wealth..." ...sad but true..

channel-bottom's picture
channel-bottom's picture
channel-bottom Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 5:47pm

Re Jacinda and NZ.

Yes they have eliminated it but the job is only half done.

Watch the unemployment figures in about July in New Zealand, massive job losses and the tourism industry just about wiped out. 9% of the entire national workforce directly employed but tourism (and heaps more indirectly employed) yet the international border remains closed.

So sure they have no virus but they about to go into their biggest recession/depression ever.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 5:58pm

From Wikipedia: "During the Trump administration, the term 'Antifa' became "a conservative catch all" term as Trump, administration officials, Trump base supporters and right wing commentators applied the label to all sorts of left leaning or liberal protest actions. Conservative writers....labelled Black Lives Matter as "antifa". Politico reported that the term is a potent one for conservatives because 'it's the violent distillation of everything they fear could come to pass in an all out culture war. And it's a quick way to brand a part of the opposition'. Alexander Reid Ross, who teaches at Portland State University, argued that the popularization of the term 'Antifa' was a reaction to the popularization of the term alt.right "to the point where (it) simply describes people who are anti-fascist or people who are against racism and are willing to protest against it."
Yep Indo, Skypan , Blowin etc, I'm naive and talk bullshit eh? Now you are going to tell me Wikipedia is a leftist front with liberal contributors.
Antifa 'reformed' in it's recent incarnation in the punk movement, punks didn't want neo-nazis involved in their activities. You guys are jumping at shadows and apeing that fucken idiot Trump. Antifa aren't the problem, right wing conservatives on the other hand...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 6:15pm

wikipedia adam? seriously, of all the resources out there? ...you're better than that...

"a conservative catch all" ....no doubt it's become this...

it doesn't mean there's no smoke...

it also doesn't mean the hardcore elements of blm and antifa don't have the same goal ...they do...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 6:23pm

Wikipedia is a peer reviewed resource.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 6:28pm

well it wasn't when I was at uni...

but I guess it is, of sorts...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 6:40pm

Yes Skypan, it didn't exist when I was at Uni. In it's infancy it was unreliable but it's systems have made it worth referencing in recent years. I used it because I don't have the time or inclination to research such a dumb issue and it is peer reviewed and apolitical.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm

@Vic

Antifa is just as bad as right wing groups very divisive ands violent but the reality is these people and right wing groups are a tiny percentage of the population.

Reality is 90-99% of people don't care about race or sexuality these days, as Zen says i think you heart is probably i the right place, but i honestly feel people like are extremely divisive.

See Zen's post for what i think.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm

"New Zealand does it again!

Real leadership real results"

Again?

When was the other time?

NZ and Jacinta have done a good job with Covid-19, so has Australia and Scomo and every other state leader, our infection rate per one million has been lower then NZ infection rate per one million.

NZ=301

Aus=285

Deaths per one million

NZ=4

Aus=4

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Some perspective New Zealand has a population of 4.8 million spread over two decent sized island, for comparison Melbourne has a population of 4.9 million spread over a small area.

Aust pop= 25.4 million

Dont get carried away.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 8:01pm

I love it when you swallow my bait like a very greedy flathead Indo.

Catch of the day.

Bahahahaha

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm

After genuine comments here-
Someone I know has rented their beach house over the QB long weekend and copped a bit of stick from a few locals who said it wasn't cool.
It is quite legal to do so. Whats the problem?
Your thoughts please?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 8:24pm

No problem, VFTCockpit.

Back to normal tourism around here. The population doubled over the past few days as crew flooded in from all points of the compass..

If the footy and protests are going ahead it’s all over.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 8 Jun 2020 at 8:36pm

@ Guy Ha ha Ok sorry, been on the piss this arvo didn't help.

@ Views from the

Really?...in all honesty this weekend down Phillip Island has been one of the busiest I've ever seen, more busy than most peak days in Summer and I'm sure they are not all day visitors.

Drove half an hour down the coast yesterday and same deal, other than if some event is on ive never seen so many tourist around, it's been crazy.

So IMHO any negative judgement on your friend is not fair especially with all the other things like protest happening.

Back to big brother :D

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 10:07am

Good read Blowin. Thanks.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 11:08am

Apropos of nothing beyond a peripheral qualification as interesting stuff .......I know a fella went tripping one night with some mates. They went for a nice little trip mission walking around the coast which included taking a subterranean train tunnel through a mountain on foot.

Whilst in the tunnel a train came down the track. The crew survived easily enough. I don’t think there was even any real physical danger . . I wasn’t there , but it’d obviously be a freaky experience at any time , let alone off chops on acid.

I’m not sure if my mate lost his shit at the time but when he woke up the next day, after finally getting to sleep , his hair had gone from blonde to grey . He was a young , fit and healthy bloke at the time it happened.

The world is full of surprises.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 12:36pm

I've heard about peoples hair turning grey overnight, it's a phenomenon known as complete bullshit.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 12:48pm

A fairly balanced perspective on Australia's options for more manufacturing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-09/manufacturing-can-be-brought-back...

As always, no simple answers. A theme is how "success" (mining, tourism, immigration) have acted to make our currency way higher than it used to be in terms relative to other nations and hence our labour costs are similarly high if priced in USD.

Plus of course we had heroic (in their own eyes despite having no skin in the game) "free trade fanatics "(a common description from other countries trade ministers when they encountered Aussies in negotiations) in both political parties who assumed the blow torch of competition would spur our manufacturers to run faster and innovate more. Sadly, in practice, when it got too hot they packed their bags and closed shop or sent the manufacturing to China. Many existing and potential manufacturers made the rational but less nationally beneficial decision and looked elsewhere for opportunity and so joined in buying real estate as a simpler way to make money.

We went from 26% of the economy in manufacturing to 6% !! All those glossy industry plans, deeply serious productivity commission reports and pollies promising the spur of competition as the answer forgot about currency appreciation and human nature.

Aahh, how we love classical economists and their theories.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 1:20pm

poor minneapolis mayor man

one of the 'good uns' it would seem...

getting down with bro's...

https://mobile.twitter.com/1FreeInhabitant/status/1269747248616869893

bro mayor man tries to back it up...

https://mobile.twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/1269425549539258373

the couldn't get down enough walk of shame...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Shabbosgoy/status/1269398857089273860

...tough day...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 12:45pm

...politics aside, pretty gutsy...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 12:53pm

Yay! Icecream for winning!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 1:32pm

Like every other stupid term in my vocabulary, such as Bro , dude and y’all , I started using the abbreviation “Lol “ ironically at first . Now it’s usually an embarrassing slip when I’m focused on something else.

Not in this instance.

Lol : https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1270122732081106947

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 2:29pm

Full retard.

LOL.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 2:50pm

russia

h h

funny...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 2:51pm

for potatoes

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 2:58pm

FOMO, Sepp?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm

Vlad, don't mind Dale, he's a bit racist

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:07pm

you feel that you're 'winning'?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm

And I don't know what Blowin and Sypkan have got against potatoes, they've obviously never tried your vodka recipe.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:24pm

Oh my name it is nothin’
My age it means less
The country I come from
Is called the Midwest
I’s taught and brought up there
The laws to abide
And that the land that I live in
Has God on its side

Oh the history books tell it
They tell it so well
The cavalries charged
The Indians fell
The cavalries charged
The Indians died
Oh the country was young
With God on its side

Oh the Spanish-American
War had its day
And the Civil War too
Was soon laid away
And the names of the heroes
l’s made to memorize
With guns in their hands
And God on their side

Oh the First World War, boys
It closed out its fate
The reason for fighting
I never got straight
But I learned to accept it
Accept it with pride
For you don’t count the dead
When God’s on your side

When the Second World War
Came to an end
We forgave the Germans
And we were friends
Though they murdered six million
In the ovens they fried
The Germans now too
Have God on their side

I’ve learned to hate Russians
All through my whole life
If another war starts
It’s them we must fight
To hate them and fear them
To run and to hide
And accept it all bravely
With God on my side

But now we got weapons
Of the chemical dust
If fire them we’re forced to
Then fire them we must
One push of the button
And a shot the world wide
And you never ask questions
When God’s on your side

Through many dark hour
I’ve been thinkin’ about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can’t think for you
You’ll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side

So now as I’m leavin’
I’m weary as Hell
The confusion I’m feelin’
Ain’t no tongue can tell
The words fill my head
And fall to the floor
If God’s on our side
He’ll stop the next war

Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:28pm

TDS Blumpkin?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 3:57pm

He’s going to lose his shit when he’s faced with another 4 years of the man.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 4:09pm

Trump-love trumps Trump-lulz?

views from the ... Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm

Thanks Blowin and Indo for your responses.

vladalotovodka's picture
vladalotovodka's picture
vladalotovodka Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm

Trump face much danger is in walk to church to hold up before marriage old address book. Armstrong go to moon, Churchill visit front walk in bullets with top hat. Trump walk front lawn make tough face.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 6:42pm

Vlad, it's gonna be tough to maintain, comrade. I give your 'accent' a coupla weeks tops.

Meanwhile, enjoy!

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 6:35pm

“When your mate cheers you on as you go over the falls”

Always fun surfing with ya mates.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 6:45pm

Actually, this one goes out to all the Trumpy-bois...

Giddy up!

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 7:50pm

X2.Good read Blowin.Banks rule the world!Money makes it go round or flat.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 8:37pm

"Vlad, it's gonna be tough to maintain, comrade. I give your 'accent' a coupla weeks tops."

I'm glad someone else is talking to you Vlad, I was having a Snuffleupagus moment for awhile there.

(Ps - I think the said poster who keeps creating new accounts is angling to win the irony award.)

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 8:53pm

Keep on truckin', Vlad & Pat.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 9 Jun 2020 at 11:00pm

Thanks DC plenty of depth to those posts.