2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Tuesday, 1 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm

Agreed grag. Suggest we hunt down LNP voters by raiding their usual haunts - churches, private schools/hospitals, RSL's, golf courses, polo events, MCG/SCG Members' Stands, boutique bars and restaurants, aboriginal missions, etc etc. Once we've rounded them all up we can intern them and re-educate them/terminate them (humanely).

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 1 Feb 2022 at 10:02pm

“... But lets be real it's low skilled work, you can basically walk in with no qualifications ...”.

Info, I’ve long held the view there is dignity in all work and if your wife treats the residents with kindness and respect, as I’m hopeful she does, then she is doing us all a great service and she and her colleagues more generally in the AC sector deserve all the rewards that come her way.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 2:54pm

Low skilled???
Maybe on paper, but I thought you needed a Cert 3 which is nearly a year full time study at TAFE.
Think they display skills such as compassion, personal care of fellow humans many in their last stages of life. At end of day it is bloody hard work both physically and mentally. They may not have the skills of a merchant banker or CEO on million dollar packages, but I reckon their services are of greater importance to society and humanity. $21 an hour really is a joke.
With an aging population, if this situation is not properly addressed, there will be lots of old people dying in aged care in lonely miserable conditions....
Personally I reckon that's fucked and the government should take on the royal commission recommendations. Under an LNP govt unlikely as they would rather use tax payers money to prop up foreign fossil fuel companies than look after their own citizens...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 2:54pm

Low skilled???
Maybe on paper, but I thought you needed a Cert 3 which is nearly a year full time study at TAFE.
Think they display skills such as compassion, personal care of fellow humans many in their last stages of life. At end of day it is bloody hard work both physically and mentally. They may not have the skills of a merchant banker or CEO on million dollar packages, but I reckon their services are of greater importance to society and humanity. $21 an hour really is a joke.
With an aging population, if this situation is not properly addressed, there will be lots of old people dying in aged care in lonely miserable conditions....
Personally I reckon that's fucked and the government should take on the royal commission recommendations. Under an LNP govt unlikely as they would rather use tax payers money to prop up foreign fossil fuel companies than look after their own citizens...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 3:29pm
Blowin wrote:

People like Roadkill are who votes the LNP back in.

Hang on. Hang on a sec.
What are you saying here blowin? We all know you're going to give your primary vote to a racist or crackpot far right party like One Nation or UAP, but are you saying your preference vote will be given to the "Fake lefties" rather than Scumo's awful mob? Or maybe it's a Vote 1 porleeeeeeen and then a cock and balls on the rest of the ballot? Please let us know blowin.
I'm genuinely intrigued.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 3:35pm

You seem to already know Vic.

Why did you ask?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 3:40pm
zenagain wrote:

Why did you ask?

He’s already been told, but the angry little gremlin who lives in the tiny desiccated husk he calls a brain, found the answer not suitable or useful to his insane rants and decided to expel it.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 5:43pm

A lot of people in this town pissed off with Mcgowan as you cant buy beer at any bottlo without proof on your phone of being double vaxed. My 63 year old best mate isnt double vaxxed and got into an argument with the staff and relies on me to buy his beer for him. He doesn't even own a phone or printer so its impossible to prove his vaccinations and was rejected entry.
Looks like ill be buying his beer from now on.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 5:48pm

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 6:16pm
zenagain wrote:

Why did you ask?

No I don't know Zen, that's why I asked blowin. He rants and raves about Scumo all the time, and he hates Labor with an absolute passion. I'm actually intrigued about who blowin sends his vote to. It's got to go somewhere after One Nation or UAP. I'm just interested in who blowin would prefer run the country. I'm tipping for all the hatred he has for Scumo and co, they will still be getting blowin's vote. At least he will have something to whinge about after the election.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 6:27pm

4-D0-A2027-27-C2-43-A1-93-F4-1-E7-A59823-F6-C

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 6:43pm

keep the bullshit flowing vicvocal...

it's pretty clear he won't vote UAP, and more than likely not ON too, but the truth isn't important to the angry gremlin...

as to preferences... I personally am finding it incredibly difficult to find any reason at all to chose a term of nagging tennis albo over a shitful scumo...

as woeful a person as scumo is, labor just seem to have nothing to offer other than 'anything but trump'

and look how that turned out...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 6:55pm

... and who do you vote for? Must have an arse full of splinters fence sitting as you do ....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 7:15pm
GuySmiley wrote:

“... But lets be real it's low skilled work, you can basically walk in with no qualifications ...”.

Info, I’ve long held the view there is dignity in all work and if your wife treats the residents with kindness and respect, as I’m hopeful she does, then she is doing us all a great service and she and her colleagues more generally in the AC sector deserve all the rewards that come her way.

Yeah for sure, I'm not dissing the work at all, and all respect to them, but end of the day its still a low skilled job hence why low pay.

andy-mac wrote:

Low skilled???

Nah i don't think you need anything really to be a PCA Personal care assistant just a police check, although i do remember her having to do some very basic study or real basic certificate latter or something but nothing that major and she got a bonus for doing it too, every few years they have to do very short study updates i think more for OHAS etc and get a bonus for it.

You can do further study to become more of a basic nurse (forgot what they call it) but even then the pay rate only goes up a few dollars, she was going to do it but wasn't eligible for government funding because not an Aussie so was going to cost $5K (and something silly like 5 years study part time, or 1 year fun time or something like that) plus was just so busy at the time being a mother etc

She now works 90% of the time as the second cook in aged care anyway as loves cooking.

Im not saying its all great, just that for low paid work, its one of the better areas maybe the only better area would be low skilled working council jobs, half decent rate for the work and heaps of perks.

And then there is the odd low skilled job that is quite good money like a traffic controller.

Increasing min wage of all these jobs past basic increases is really just like a dog chasing it's tail, all it does is cause everything else to rise in price, and Australia is now back as number one having the highest min wage in the world anyway. (Seems to go back and forth every year between us and Luxembourg taking top spot)

Anyway if labor get in i guess that might be one positive and silver lining if the aged care min wage rises a little more.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 7:26pm

Im betting people like Blowin and Sypkan would vote like how i use to for a period putting a party like Sustainable population party first with similar parties next then putting the majors last.

The question is what order they put the majors last, id expect it would be Labor, Greens, LNP.

So in a sense they end up voting for Labor, but doing it as reluctantly as possible

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 8:11pm

yep indo, that's basically how my splintered filled arse votes, always most definitely with lnp last

but labor are so uninspiring at the moment, I'm having trouble facing even doing that...

might sit this one out, first time ever...

as Im one of those... 'don't waste your vote' ... 'appreciate we can vote' ...kind of guys...

oh well...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 8:51pm

tell me guysmiley, about the only big announcement I've heard from labor this election cycle so far, is about a nationalised shipping fleet, to overcome supply chain issues...

now, i dont know if this is a 'core promise'... or an albo brain fart...

but tell me honestly, do you think that is a good idea?

because personally, such a lofty, no idea, expensive out of the ball park brain fart... just make me want to vote against them...

not least because of the countless lost opportunities this would bring elsewhere re. supply chains, independence, sustainability, and creating opportunity...

seriously, if that is the best that labor's best and brightest have... under such 'unprecedented times', and all of the opportunities that brings... i think I'd rather stick with 'better the cunt you know...'

but I couldn't live with myself facilitating it.... hence i might just sit this one out...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 8:42pm

Is there romanticism in politics?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 8:55pm

you can call it romanticism if you want to...

I would describe it as a yearning for some basic fundamentals

now my question... the shipping fleet...

but tell me honestly, do you think that is a good idea?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 9:27pm

You’re welcome to your view(s); seriously they are valid as they next person’s, no more no less. For my part I now look at a bigger picture and the need for a decade+ return to what I understand to be the traditional preHoward centre. A decade or more of and incremental change, a move back from the beyond centre right shit storm we now find us in. Individual policies only form part of any required change and are therefore not as important as the required year on year directional change ... will we get a decade or more of the required governance? What do reckon?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 10:36pm

I'd agree with a lot of that guysmiley

but...

"... will we get a decade or more of the required governance? What do reckon?"

not a chance! ...especially if labor are operating on desperate brain farts...

brain farts are ok... almost necessary to win elections.... but big expensive wasted opportunities ones... not so much...

take the shipping fleet, that would have to be a tens of billions dollars investment at least, ...if not a 100s of billions brain fart idea... that's nation building shit, not some throw away desperation election promise...

aside from appearing just not
well thought out, impractical, and pretty dumb... it's a huge wasted opportunity... if you want to deal with supply chains... fucken deal with it! ...with some much needed targeted and multi faceted solutions... not some 1900s merchant navy throwback bandaid...

take fuel for instance, oz has a couple of weeks fuel reserve at best... with a big new facility currently getting a bit of attention, ...that should increase that reserve by... wait for it... a massive 2 days! ...and it should bd ready by... wait for it again....2024!!

ffs, i hope something significant doesn't / isn't already happening in the meantime, so that the world can wait until 2024 til we get our shit together....

with 2 more days of fuel!!

this shit would be laughable if it wasn't so serious

guy, I'd like to share your hopes of labor rectifying some of the recklessness of the last few decades, but Im just not seeing it....

this is despite what's needed being so bloody obvious!

and countless reviews and assessments of labor's losses, losing, and losers...

they need some coherent plan, some shared vision, something people can get behind...

some return to all encompassing basic fundamentals perhaps...

and less of their terribly divisive you know what...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 10:30pm

Sypkan, I can't understand how you can look back at the shitfuckery of the LNP since Howard, the mess they have made, the rorting and criminality, the reversal of Aust. in so many ways, the current PM Scotty the "psycho"/"fuckwit"/"dickhead"/ "liar" (all have trended #1 on twitter the last week or so) and Deputy Drunkard and his mob of nuffies, call yourself left-leaning yet then say "I'm not voting Labor" because Albanese floats an idea for a National Shipping Fleet.
I don't understand that logic or rationale.
I don't know if it is a good idea or not, I'm not a shipping economist, are you?
You fold early Sypkan, wouldn't want you in my trench.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 11:02pm

because the lnp are just doing what they are supposed to do...

and labor are so so not doing what they are supposed to do!

haven't been for a long long time, which is why lnp have gotten away with such outrageous shitfuckery

not to mention large swathes of labor being just as bought...

it's been a long road to here adam12, it's not just about the shipping thing - and the fact a shipping economist type guy on abc basically laughed at the idea...

that idea, and many of the desperate ones from the last election, are just emblematic of how lost the labor party are...

their reviews point the way, the current world in disarray blatantly points the way...

but labor just cannot seem to pull it together

it beggars belief

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 12:52am

Shorten took good policies to the last election,the boomers got scared they would have reduced incomes and angry that they where seen as the major beneficiaries/grifters
The LNP spread the death tax lie and Fatty Mcfuckface (Palmer) cleaned up the dorks for them.
Which one of Shortens policies where bad? It could be said that Albo is just sitting back knowing that Scotty is that big of a fuck head and his party full of shit cunts are fucking it for themselves.
Let's hope the voting public are a little more switched on this time around.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:15am

A house, that’s all, I know lots of people who would like one. Australia has about a gazillion spare acres and no political party can put a family into a 400 k house and land package. Albos got 5 so he’s not focused and Morro has forgotten the roof over your head and food on the table is all someone needs. The $400 weekly mortgage on a low deposit to balance the market for the battlers is the only priority I see and yet……nothing.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 8:12am

sog the flog showing his high moral compass and balanced views again.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 8:31am
soggydog wrote:

Shorten took good policies to the last election,the boomers got scared they would have reduced incomes and angry that they where seen as the major beneficiaries/grifters
The LNP spread the death tax lie and Fatty Mcfuckface (Palmer) cleaned up the dorks for them.
Which one of Shortens policies where bad? It could be said that Albo is just sitting back knowing that Scotty is that big of a fuck head and his party full of shit cunts are fucking it for themselves.
Let's hope the voting public are a little more switched on this time around.

How Shorten with all his policies outlined could lose the these present lying fuckwit we have as PM is a sad reflection on Australia. The guy pisses off to Hawaii in the middle of a national emergency for a holiday. Beaconsfield miners trapped and Shorten is working around the clock on site to save them. Reflection on both their character. Then fatty McFuckhead goes at Shorten as being shifty and the moronic Murdoch and 9 media support it... Ffs.. Need more than a decade to fix this mess and in present circumstances I unfortunately think it is unlikely that Labor would get a fair run.....
In an ideal world Labor could outline bold positive policies but the coalition media attack dogs will destroy them in the eyes of quiet Australians.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 12:29pm

Thank fuck Shorten lost the unloosable election for Labor, him and his policies sucked arse, he would probably have us in lockdown until 2025 the guy was a A grade fuckwitt.

It will suck if Labor get voted in, but Albo seems more moderate and Labor have toned things down to become liberal lite anyway and even if they get in one or two terms max and they will be gone.

There is a good reason why labor have only been in power 23 of the last 70 years or so and only about 6 of almost the last 25 years.

Thank god for democracy and common sense.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 12:34pm

Indo,

If Common Sense was that common, the LNP would never be voted into power.

Cheers.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:00pm

Probably a lot to do with Australia being a colony of people with basically zero class consciousness or political solidarity between ordinary people. Australian society has been successfully brainwashed into competing against and blaming each other rather than the structural systems that benefit from our suffering. Australia needs serious reform - especially regarding land, political donations, and taxation. The LNP will never do it, because the gross inequality of this country works in their favor.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Thank fuck Shorten lost the unloosable election for Labor, him and his policies sucked arse, he would probably have us in lockdown until 2025 the guy was a A grade fuckwitt.

It will suck if Labor get voted in, but Albo seems more moderate and Labor have toned things down to become liberal lite anyway and even if they get in one or two terms max and they will be gone.

There is a good reason why labor have only been in power 23 of the last 70 years or so and only about 6 of almost the last 25 years.

Thank god for democracy and common sense.

The good reason is the moronic quiet Australians who vote against their own best interests as they are brainwashed by the insipid Murdoch and 9 media machine. If Shorten is a fuckwit, what does that make Morrison who fucks off on holiday whilst country is on fire?
Gladys even writes the prick off and she is meant to be on his side....
Labor for all its faults at least does things for Australia, such as Medicare and NDIS. Name one program the LNP have ever implemented to help Australians??? None, unless you include GST.
They just transfer the Commonwealth of Australia into the hands of foreign owned businesses and their supporters.
Please, name one program or something the LNP have ever done for Australia???

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:38pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

That is complete Bullshit Indo.

Edit:Thanks Andy, Indo will have a tough time bullshitting his way out of that one.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:41pm

"It never ceases to amaze how cheaply politicians, and therefore policy and political protection, can be bought.
Released today, the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) data for the 2020-21 financial year reveals that $166 million was paid to political parties, with the Liberal Party ranking in $15.4 million more than Labor."

Also -

"The world’s largest financial firms, “The Big 4” – PwC, EY, KPMG and Deloitte” picked up $1.74bn in government work over the past 18 months, a fabulous return on their $670,570 “investment”.

Why would anyone continue to vote for such corruption?

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/quid-pro-quo-donations-data-shows-billion...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:59pm

"Please, name one program or something the LNP have ever done for Australia???"

the soveriegn wealth fund

the soveriegn wealth fund, that labor blew in a matter of months....

the soveriegn wealth fund, that the lnp had no choice but to create, as they were awash with cash, and they couldn't possibly give anymore money away...

if they did the structural problems and middle class welfare problems now would be off the charts and the country would be even nore fucked...

the soveriegn wealth fund, that the lnp belatedly, begrudingly, and kinda shithousely created... as it wasn't protected enough.... wasn't early enough... wasn't big enough... not sustainable enough...

but it was a nice try

(for a government that wasn't really trying)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 1:56pm

better and more realistic in concept than ndis...

don't get me started on ndis!

(i'd leave that one out of your list of achievements if I was you...)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:05pm
soggydog wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

That is complete Bullshit Indo.

Edit:Thanks Andy, Indo will have a tough time bullshitting his way out of that one.

not complete bullshit...

labor and lockdowns isn't a very good record...

and they are still plugging away hard with the virus and some over reactive measures... whilst the true nature of the virus is slowly revealing that the left of politics the world over has very likey totally overreacted...

totally!

and shorten is an A grade fuckwit...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:12pm

@spykan Shorten and co lost me on their franking credit policy in the last election. They were labeling it as 'progressive' which frankly insulted me. Even Albo abandoned it for this election. I will never agree with anyone who proposes double taxation, whatever the party they belong to.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:43pm

I actually think the franking credit policy was smart policy

the way they intended to introduce it was all kinds of dumb and unfair though...

not to mention the berating of retirees and average joes as 'the big end of town'

...all kinds of dumb!

...so so fucking dumb!!

...unbelievably out of touch with reality dumb!!!

and unfair!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm

it is actually hard to believe how wrong labor got the last election

yes some have good points above, and there was some good policy...

but labor just totally fucked it up!!

it is this impression of gross incompetence and out of touch-ness that keeps undermining them, whether one believes it is justified or not...

perceptions are everything

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:44pm
sypkan wrote:

the soveriegn wealth fund, that the lnp had no choice but to create, as they were awash with cash, and they couldn't possibly give anymore money away...

if they did the structural problems and middle class welfare problems now would be off the charts and the country would be even nore fucked...

the soveriegn wealth fund, that the lnp belatedly, begrudingly, and kinda shithousely created... as it wasn't protected enough.... wasn't early enough... wasn't big enough... not sustainable enough...

but it was a nice try

"The Future Fund is an independently managed sovereign wealth fund established in 2006 to strengthen the Australian Government's long-term financial position by making provision for unfunded superannuation liabilities for politicians and other public servants that will become payable during a period when an ageing population is likely to place significant pressure on the Commonwealth's finances. In 2021 the fund had US$ 143.7 billion in assets under management.[1]"

Looks after politicians and public servant super funds conditions and returns which are unavailable to the rest of Australia!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:44pm
sypkan wrote:

but it was a nice try

Good idea in theory if set up in a Scandinavian style model. They set up pension for pollies that is heavily invested in coal and other gods fuels run by Peter Costello.
That may be a simplistic response yes, but if we properly taxed our resources, we could have a find similar to what Norway has.
Geez that could support things such as free higher education, health care and give aged care workers a $5 an hour pay increase. ;)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:46pm
sypkan wrote:

better and more realistic in concept than ndis...

don't get me started on ndis!

(i'd leave that one out of your list of achievements if I was you...)

I personally know a couple of people with disabilities who have benefitted greatly from NDIS. Truly life changing for the better.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:58pm

"I personally know a couple of people with disabilities who have benefitted greatly from NDIS. Truly life changing for the better."

me too

in terms of life changing... for the better

I also personally know a heap of families who loathe the new system, and find it unnecessarily stressful...

I personally have benefitted immensely through the new system by way of employment

that doesn't remotely make it overall good, sustainable, or the smart economic stimulus it was spuriously marketed as...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:10pm
sypkan wrote:

"I personally know a couple of people with disabilities who have benefitted greatly from NDIS. Truly life changing for the better."

me too

in terms of life changing... for the better

I also personally know a heap of families who loathe the new system, and find it unnecessarily stressful...

I personally have benefitted immensely through the new system by way of employment

that doesn't remotely make it overall good, sustainable, or the smart economic stimulus it was spuriously marketed as...

Ok.
But is that because the original idea/ scheme was underfunded and under resourced by LNP, or is the original idea flawed?
Serious question.
I don't know, but had a couple of colleagues who by my understanding would not be in full time employment without the assistance.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:45pm

it is a great system in principle, in terms of autonomy, empowering, independence... and all the other nauseating industry jargon / gobblygook / marketing speak...

but it is incredibly complex, with layers and layers of experts and consultants that clients and families must negotiate before they can even gain any assistance...

many families like the old system, where the services available are much clearer and easier to navigate. unfortunately - like anything in the modern world - one just about needs a degree to navigate the services. and those that are smart / educated / manipulative etc. can get massive gains, gaming the system if i may be so crass... whilst those not so savvy, get left short...

on the whole, it is a good system, that generally improves on the old one...

you'd bloody well hope so!

...as it is an absolute rolls royce system, with an absolute rolls royce price tag... spuriously marketed as being 'economically stimulating'

...you could argue that if you wanted to, ...i guess.... if you totally ignored all the additional costs the system incurrs....

interestingly, labor's guru economist at the time advising all this, was doing it on the figures of the well underway mining boom in the background, and did actually mention if economic conditions were to change it would be quite burdensome... well, conditions changed... implementation did not!

labor's little contribution to the mining boom inspired, unsustainable, middle class welfare, economic stuctural problems of the howard / costello era?

depends on your perspective I guess...

sorry, but you did ask

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:45pm
sypkan wrote:

it is a great system in principle, in terms of autonomy, empowering, independence, and all the other nauseating industry gobblygook / marketing speak...

but it is incredibly complex, with layers and layers of experts and consultants that clients and families must negotiate before they can even gain any assistance...

many families like the old system, where the services are much clearer and easier to navigate. unfortunately - like anything in the modern world - one just about needs a degree to navigate the services. and the smart / educated / manipulative can get massive gains, whilst those not so savvy get left short...

on the whole, it is a good system, that generally improves on the old one... you'd bloody well hope so! ...as it is an absolute rolls royce syste, with an absolute rolls royce price tag... spuriously marketed as being 'economic stimulating' ...you could argue that if you wanted to i guess.... if you totally ignored all the additional costs the system incurrs....

interestingly, labor's guru economist at the time advising all this, was doing it on the figures of the well underway mining boom in the background, and did actually mention if economic conditions were to change it would be quite burdensome... well, conditions changed... implementation did not!

labor's contribution to the mining boom inspired, unsustainable, middle class welfare, economic stuctural problems of the howard / costello era?

depends on your perspective I guess...

sorry, but you did ask

No need for sorry, I appreciate the time you took with your reply.
I was really only aware and referring to how it can help individuals with autonomy etc.
Guessing the bureaucracy gets in the way of a good system..
Cheers.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:51pm
dandandan wrote:

Probably a lot to do with Australia being a colony of people with basically zero class consciousness or political solidarity between ordinary people. Australian society has been successfully brainwashed into competing against and blaming each other rather than the structural systems that benefit from our suffering. Australia needs serious reform - especially regarding land, political donations, and taxation. The LNP will never do it, because the gross inequality of this country works in their favor.

Good post Dan.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 4:14pm

This NDIS discussion highlights the main issue on all sides of politics, especially on the federal level. Most participants are high-level lawyers, accountants from different backgrounds, some come via union channels, others via consulting, finance etc...

However, hardly anyone comes from operations. People who are currently there are familiar with structuring budgets, allocating them (there are always winners and losers), and navigating the legal landscape. But they are not used to building programs of works, breaking them into projects, and developing operations to sustain continual improvements. To meet their election cycles they come up with totally unrealistic timelines which they try to compensate by 'flooding it with resources'. NDIS sounds like another one of those, great in principle but poor in execution and sticking to the budget.

As my personal career progressed I started working on really large infrastructure programs and they are really, really difficult to mobilise and demobilise. Over the years I developed a great appreciation for anyone who is really good at developing programs successfully, anticipates resources correctly, and manages to pull them off on a budget. There are not enough of these people and to be honest, the ones that are truly good are making the same or more than our MPs.

To conclude, I would love to see fewer accountants and lawyers and more ops people on all sides of politics. I think it would improve the situation a fair bit and there would be the better perception of what can and cannot be achieved within a given timeframe.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 4:41pm

"interestingly, labor's guru economist at the time advising all this, was doing it on the figures of the well underway mining boom in the background, and did actually mention if economic conditions were to change it would be quite burdensome... well, conditions changed... implementation did not!"

interesting take Sypkan. Same thing happened with the Button Plan, they forgot to properly review it after about 10 years, so the plan kept churning it's protection lower, lower; in a beautiful correlation with the number of domestic manufacturers. From 8+ to 0, the plan became an industry elimination plan. It is wise to note all car manufacturing countries employ some form of 'encouragement' whether that be tariffs, currency manipulation, state-owned enterprises, free land, favourable tax or labour agreements, 'green' support, etc. Now we are the only OECD Top 20 economy without a car industry. But what a plan it was! Made our cars world class.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:33pm
andy-mac wrote:

Please, name one program or something the LNP have ever done for Australia???

The most important thing to most Australians is employment and interest rates, since March 96 when LNP(Howard) was voted in after Labor's/Keatings recession we had to have where interest rates hit almost 18% unemployment went above 11%.

Things have been pretty good unemployment rates and interest rates quickly fell during Howards reign, hence why he became one of our most successfully prime ministers ever and the second longest prime minster in Australian history at almost 12 years in power.

20 of the last 26 years have been under LNP this run has been the longest run without a recession, and even the recession caused by Covid that was predicated to be more like a depression barely hit the radar, real estate markets sure dont boom in recessions.

This whole period post Keating to now will be looked back on as a golden period in our history and most countries never achieve such runs.

You guys can whinge all you like, because well that what you love to do but even during Covid compared to most of the world we have done extremely well from an economical and health perspective even achieving one of the world highest vax rates.

The problem is our perspective on the role of government is completely different the centre and the right generally look at the role of governments to provide conditions for opportunity and some basic services and ideally keep out of their life's as much as possible.

While the left especially the far left just want everything handed to then on a plate and golden unicorns with six genders or something god knows, i dont think they even know anymore.