2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:38pm

I don’t think he’s going to get to many votes if he doesn’t do something quickly about this , another inquiry is going to do sweet FA

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:52pm

Planet Indo
"The problem is our perspective on the role of government is completely different the centre and the right generally look at the role of governments to provide conditions for opportunity and some basic services and ideally keep out of their life's as much as possible.

While the left especially the far left just want everything handed to then on a plate and golden unicorns with six genders or something god knows, i dont think they even know anymore."
Gina Reinhart
Rupert Murdoch/Fox
The Pratts
The Lews
Gerry Harvey
Santos
Rio Tinto
Angus Taylors Family
LNP voting Franking Credit beneficiaries......
and on and on and on
the endless list of people on the right receiving unicorn handouts of taxpayer money in the billions, while they fuck over everyone else
Either wake the fuck up or shut the fuck up Indo. Dumb fuck.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 8:35pm
adam12 wrote:

Planet Indo
"The problem is our perspective on the role of government is completely different the centre and the right generally look at the role of governments to provide conditions for opportunity and some basic services and ideally keep out of their life's as much as possible.

While the left especially the far left just want everything handed to then on a plate and golden unicorns with six genders or something god knows, i dont think they even know anymore."
Gina Reinhart
Rupert Murdoch/Fox
The Pratts
The Lews
Gerry Harvey
Santos
Rio Tinto
Angus Taylors Family
and on and on and on
the endless list of people on the right receiving unicorn handouts of taxpayer money in the billions, while they fuck over everyone else

Maybe you are too stupid to understand this but any money they receive in various ways to encourage investment or subsidies comes back ten times to the government and economy in all kinds of ways and benefits all of us, the reality is we are much much better off with these companies than without them, when they have success we are more likely to all have success, if they all have dark days we are very likely to have even darker days.

And you sure wont be getting you golden unicorn with 6 genders without them.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 8:50pm

"Maybe you are too stupid to understand this but any money they receive in various ways to encourage investment or subsidies comes back ten times to the government and economy in all kinds of ways and benefits all of us, the reality is we are much much better off with these companies than without them, when they have success we are more likely to all have success, if they all have dark days we are very likely to have even darker days."

Sorry Indo, they are leeches that cost us "everyday taxpayers" far more in the short and long term than any number of the "welfare cheats" the LNP constantly go on about. Grifters sucking on corporate welfare, while people live in poverty.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 9:03pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
adam12 wrote:

Planet Indo

Gina Reinhart
Rupert Murdoch/Fox
The Pratts
The Lews
Gerry Harvey
Santos
Rio Tinto
Angus Taylors Family
and on and on and on

Maybe you are too stupid to understand this but any money they receive in various ways to encourage investment or subsidies comes back ten times to the government and economy in all kinds of ways and benefits all of us, the reality is we are much much better off with these companies than without them, when they have success we are more likely to all have success, if they all have dark days we are very likely to have even darker days.

And you sure wont be getting you golden unicorn with 6 genders without them.

Explain how Gerry Harvey receiving job keeper while recording record profits during Covid helped Australian taxpayers.

It’s a simple one.

It seems you may have forgotten the GFC too, I think it was Rudd who navigated that one.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 9:12pm

Australia has achieved good and stable economic outcomes in terms of GDP growth, inflation, unemployment, interest rates, etc.

But there are other possibly more important measures of economic and social outcomes in terms of welfare, living standards or quality of life.

GDP per capita is a very important measure. Australia has done well here and we also rank high globally:

There's two main areas of economic concern:

Debt levels, both private and government (relative to GDP), are historically very high: private debt due to low interest rates and government debt due to budget deficits:

Inequality is slowly increasing: see here and here and here and here. The conclusions of these reports is that income inequality has been relatively stable over time but wealth inequality has been increasing.

Measures of economic activity may contribute to living standards, wealth and quality of life outcomes but they don't tell the whole story: see here and here and here. Some more general measures include the Social Progress Index and the Human Development Index and the OECD Better Life Index and the World Happiness Report, etc. Australia ranks pretty well here but is in general surpassed by the Scandinavian/Nordic countries and at times some other developed European and Commonwealth nations.

Overall it seems that Australia is not a bad place.

But of course the above don't necessarily capture individual/unique social problems Australia may be facing like aged care, health, tertiary education, indigenous Australians, etc.

I also question Australia's trajectory in many areas. We seem to be following the US down certain paths where we're like 20 years behind them but where we can see the very negative outcomes of those paths playing out right before our eyes in the US today.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm

ID explain how paying $30 million for a $3million piece of land from party donors benefited taxpayers?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 10:01pm

@gsco very nice! My position is that this is a great, balanced country. There are areas of concern that need to improve however on average, we live a pretty good life.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 10:28pm

Indo Dreaming why do you never never ever ever address the LNP corruption that is constantly raised by numerous posters over and over again. You address everything but the blatant corruption. You never even try to explain it away. You just won’t go there.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 6:55am
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Please, name one program or something the LNP have ever done for Australia???

The most important thing to most Australians is employment and interest rates, since March 96 when LNP(Howard) was voted in after Labor's/Keatings recession we had to have where interest rates hit almost 18% unemployment went above 11%.

Things have been pretty good unemployment rates and interest rates quickly fell during Howards reign, hence why he became one of our most successfully prime ministers ever and the second longest prime minster in Australian history at almost 12 years in power.

20 of the last 26 years have been under LNP this run has been the longest run without a recession, and even the recession caused by Covid that was predicated to be more like a depression barely hit the radar, real estate markets sure dont boom in recessions.

This whole period post Keating to now will be looked back on as a golden period in our history and most countries never achieve such runs.

You guys can whinge all you like, because well that what you love to do but even during Covid compared to most of the world we have done extremely well from an economical and health perspective even achieving one of the world highest vax rates.

The problem is our perspective on the role of government is completely different the centre and the right generally look at the role of governments to provide conditions for opportunity and some basic services and ideally keep out of their life's as much as possible.

While the left especially the far left just want everything handed to then on a plate and golden unicorns with six genders or something god knows, i dont think they even know anymore.

Ah that ol doozy of LNP propaganda....
Howard snuck in after Hawke and Keating did all the major reforms, whether you agree with these reforms or not is beside the point. He then rode the biggest mining economic boom in our history, only 2 countries in the world were not experiencing economic growth at this time, East Timor and another African country whose name escapes me ATM. The major employment reform he implemented was changing the hours worked to be employed to 1 hour a week... No wonder the employment figure improved. Underemployment never mentioned but big issue.
Could even be argued that the Howard golden period you refer to also came about due to the cohort of University educated people in prime working age that had the opportunity of free education due to Whitlam reforms in that sector.
The LNP generally do nothing but ride the good times and then when things start to go down hill Labor get voted in to fix the mess. Would Australia have handled Covid as well as it did without Medicare? A program the LNP still wish to get rid of. Rudd Swan avoided Australia going into recession in GFC, LNP govt would have stood back and done nothing and the outcome would have been very different.
As standard LNP playbook you bring up gender and far left handout straw man arguments.
If you look at Australia's standing economically historically compared to OECD, we are always performing better under a Labor govt, funnily enough the media don't mention this.....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 7:07am

In regards to the many examples of corruption.
Hopefully Labor if they win, big if, implement a proper ICAC and some of these LNP face a judge with serious consequences issue such as jail if laws have been broken. Only way to fix the blatant corruption that is occurring. If some ALP or any other Party members get caught out, then that can be a good thing.
As gsco pointed out, we are heading towards a system such as the USA with major disparity in wealth and opportunity, and another term of LNP govt will only quicken this process.
For the record, I love Australia and know I won lottery of life being born here and to have had the opportunities I have had. I only wish I had the confidence my daughter will get a chance to grow up in an fair and egalitarian society I experienced growing up.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 8:06am

And yeah, Howard/ Costello sold (privatised) everything that wasn't bolted down that was owned by Australians. The genius Costello sold our Gold at record low prices! That's up there with keeping our emergency fuel reserves in the USA, Good work Angus!!
The worst aspects of Howard were not his economic issues but social, he encouraged racism via Hanson, illegal refugees ( not illegal), created division, got us involved in expensive wars where we had no business, cut University funding especially in Arts and Asian studies Depts, ( I lived through this one, he gutted it).
The only thing Howard deserves to mention in his memoirs is his stance on guns, and getting voted out in his own electorate.

Friday morning rant over.....

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 9:31am
andy-mac wrote:

Hopefully Labor if they win, big if, implement a proper ICAC and some of these LNP face a judge with serious consequences issue such as jail if laws have been broken. Only way to fix the blatant corruption that is occurring. If some ALP or any other Party members get caught out, then that can be a good thing.
As gsco pointed out, we are heading towards a system such as the USA with major disparity in wealth and opportunity, and another term of LNP govt will only quicken this process.
For the record, I love Australia and know I won lottery of life being born here and to have had the opportunities I have had. I only wish I had the confidence my daughter will get a chance to grow up in an fair and egalitarian society I experienced growing up.

We’ll said. Good rant.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 9:59am

Indo said "Maybe you are too stupid to understand this but any money they receive in various ways to encourage investment or subsidies comes back ten times to the government and economy in all kinds of ways and benefits all of us, the reality is we are much much better off with these companies than without them, when they have success we are more likely to all have success, if they all have dark days we are very likely to have even darker days."
There you have it, the great lie of neoliberalism , give taxpayer money to the top and watch it trickle down to the proles. Complete bullshit.
So if Clive Palmer or Gerry Harvey do well out of free taxpayer money, we all benefit.
You call me stupid Indo?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
seeds wrote:

Indo Dreaming why do you never never ever ever address the LNP corruption that is constantly raised by numerous posters over and over again. You address everything but the blatant corruption. You never even try to explain it away. You just won’t go there.

As of right now Australia ranks number 11 out of 180 countries for being the LEAST corrupt in the world.

Over the last 20 years we have been in the top ten most of this time has been under LNP lead governments, sure we have recently slipped out of the top ten so its fair to say an eye needs to be kept on things and maybe some areas need to receive some attention, but the fact still remains we are one of the least corrupt countries on earth both at a government and society level.

And despite what all the Labor shills would like you to believe Labor are just as corrupt as LNP its just historically Labor rarely get in power, but we definitely see corruption in Labor state governments .

Personally i don't really seen much point in me joining the chorus of serial whingers here on an issue we rank global so good in, Labor shills like Andy and VL etc love the issue because they really dont have much else to go with, because again the most important things for most people is employment and the economy and for almost 30 years we have been killing it so its hard to criticise these areas,

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 10:20am
andy-mac wrote:

And yeah, Howard/ Costello sold (privatised) everything that wasn't bolted down that was owned by Australians. The genius Costello sold our Gold at record low prices! That's up there with keeping our emergency fuel reserves in the USA, Good work Angus!!
The worst aspects of Howard were not his economic issues but social, he encouraged racism via Hanson, illegal refugees ( not illegal), created division, got us involved in expensive wars where we had no business, cut University funding especially in Arts and Asian studies Depts, ( I lived through this one, he gutted it).
The only thing Howard deserves to mention in his memoirs is his stance on guns, and getting voted out in his own electorate.

You are the biggest Labor shill ever, it's honestly pointless discussing things with you because you just have such a twisted grasp of reality, the election results speak for them selves people kept voting in Howard because of his success in providing them more opportunities in life like basic things like employment.

BTW it was Keating (one of the worst governments ever) that introduced mandatory detention for illegal arrivals.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 10:30am
gsco wrote:

Australia has achieved good and stable economic outcomes in terms of GDP growth, inflation, unemployment, interest rates, etc.

But there are other possibly more important measures of economic and social outcomes in terms of welfare, living standards or quality of life.

GDP per capita is a very important measure. Australia has done well here and we also rank high globally:

There's two main areas of economic concern:

Debt levels, both private and government (relative to GDP), are historically very high: private debt due to low interest rates and government debt due to budget deficits:

Inequality is slowly increasing: see here and here and here and here. The conclusions of these reports is that income inequality has been relatively stable over time but wealth inequality has been increasing.

Measures of economic activity may contribute to living standards, wealth and quality of life outcomes but they don't tell the whole story: see here and here and here. Some more general measures include the Social Progress Index and the Human Development Index and the OECD Better Life Index and the World Happiness Report, etc. Australia ranks pretty well here but is in general surpassed by the Scandinavian/Nordic countries and at times some other developed European and Commonwealth nations.

Overall it seems that Australia is not a bad place.

But of course the above don't necessarily capture individual/unique social problems Australia may be facing like aged care, health, tertiary education, indigenous Australians, etc.

I also question Australia's trajectory in many areas. We seem to be following the US down certain paths where we're like 20 years behind them but where we can see the very negative outcomes of those paths playing out right before our eyes in the US today.

Good well balanced post.

Is there any country on earth that isn't having the challenges we are having though like rising inequality or housing affordability issues???

And debt levels in pretty much all countries are rising at crazy rates.

Personally i think these things are inevitable, because success is never equal so the gap between least successful and successfully always widens

The most important aspect though is overall rating of things like employment, poverty rates, health and life expediency etc

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 10:25am

With electoral redistributions in most states favouring the ALP the LNP need to pick up a minimum 3 more seats on their last election result to form govt.

That’s a mighty ask before voters reflect on LNPs poor performance.

Things will be much clearer by the end of the month but at this stage it’s very likely we will see a ALP govt. The only question is by what majority?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 10:59am

I think you're a bit behind the times Indo.

The 2021 Corruption Perceptions Index shows Australia ranked number 18 in the world with a score of 73/100, down from a score of 85/100 in 2012.
This shows a steady drop under both Labor and LNP governments over the last decade but a drop from 11th to 18th in only the last year under the Libs.

It's worth noting that apart from Singapore, all of the countries ranked in the top ten are multi party democracies.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 11:20am
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

You are the biggest Labor shill ever, it's honestly pointless discussing things with you because you just have such a twisted grasp of reality, the election results speak for them selves people kept voting in Howard because of his success in providing them more opportunities in life like basic things like employment.

BTW it was Keating (one of the worst governments ever) that introduced mandatory detention for illegal arrivals.

Labor shill?
No don't think so. Just over incompetence and corruption which is then covered up and supported by media. If ALP in govt would be just as pissed off if they were getting away with it to such a degree....
We need a third party such as the old Democrats to keep the bastards honest....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 11:20am
soggydog wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

We’ll said. Good rant.

Thanks, couple strong coffee's this morning. ;)

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:00pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/_juliabradley/status/1489388638802956289

Oh that changes everything. Scomo got my vote now!!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:02pm
andy-mac wrote:

Info’s hero!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:06pm

“You are the biggest Labor shill ever, it's honestly pointless discussing things with you because you just have such a twisted grasp of reality.”

Replace Labour with LNP and you pretty much described yourself Indo

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:17pm
andy-mac wrote:

I thought he said he didn’t hold a hose ! Bloody imposter lying again.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 12:34pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

I thought he said he didn’t hold a hose ! Bloody imposter lying again.

Haha ◉‿◉

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 1:41pm

Gee you lot are harsh on the Coalition just be patient for gods sake the jobs boom and savings at the till from cutting penalty rates is still coming just like the massive savings we had from cutting the carbon tax and helping Gina stopping that mining tax,

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:03pm
AndyM wrote:

The 2021 Corruption Perceptions Index shows Australia ranked number 18 in the world with a score of 73/100, down from a score of 85/100 in 2012.
This shows a steady drop under both Labor and LNP governments over the last decade but a drop from 11th to 18th in only the last year under the Libs.

It's worth noting that apart from Singapore, all of the countries ranked in the top ten are multi party democracies.

Okay fair enough double checking the article i read from last year and the idea link it does seems to have changed since.

BTW. It should be noted its a perception index of corruption rather than a proper measure, perception doesn't always reflect reality, if media etc focus on one or two incidents perception changes while in reality there could have been more corruption before just without the focus

Either way each to their own, but my concern is more the things that really affect me and my family, like employment rates, interest rates, cost of living etc

And i guess now freedoms too.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:13pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Okay fair enough double checking the article i read from last year and the idea link it does seems to have changed since.

BTW. It should be noted its a perception index of corruption rather than a proper measure, perception doesn't always reflect reality, if media etc focus on one or two incidents perception changes while in reality there could have been more corruption before just without the focus

Either way each to their own, but my concern is more the things that really affect me and my family, like employment rates, interest rates, cost of living etc

Geez INDO you're dribbling again. The perception that a country is corrupt isn't based on media reporting corruption, it's based on the actual corruption.
And even if you are right, which you aren't, perception is also very damaging. If you perceive a country to be corrupt, would you invest there? If you perceive that government contracts are crooked, would clean businesses apply for them?
Give it up champ. Your mob are a pack of crooks, and that does serious damage to our economy. It pisses away our tax dollars, drives up consumer prices, drives down confidence and wages. Your bent mob are fucking ordinary Australians over every fucking day for their own, and their mate's benefit.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:32pm

You see Indo, perception is everything. For example- on the surface, I perceive Vic to be a potty-mouthed, one-eyed, know-it-all who sees anyone that doesn't subscribe to his narrow world view as a far right leaning fascist, racist, anti-semitic xenophobe incapable of having their own thought.

When in actuality, he probably is.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:45pm
Vic Local wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Geez INDO you're dribbling again. The perception that a country is corrupt isn't based on media reporting corruption, it's based on the actual corruption.
And even if you are right, which you aren't, perception is also very damaging. If you perceive a country to be corrupt, would you invest there? If you perceive that government contracts are crooked, would clean businesses apply for them?
Give it up champ. Your mob are a pack of crooks, and that does serious damage to our economy. It pisses away our tax dollars, drives up consumer prices, drives down confidence and wages. Your bent mob are fucking ordinary Australians over every fucking day for their own, and their mate's benefit.

Sorry you are the one dribbling as per normal.

It's called the Corruption PERCEPTION index for a reason, because its impossible to record all corruption.

For example one country can have a number of incidents of corruption covered up which will not affect its corruption perception index because they go unreported and unknown, while another country might have one or two incidents highlighted heavily by media which will negatively affect its corruption perception index

And as ive said many times now LNP have been in power for most of the last twenty years and most of that time we have ranked in the top ten for LEAST corrupt, so your idea that my mob is so corrupt and your mob isn't is just garbage, as we have seen in Victoria Labor are as corrupt as can be.

And Corruption is more complex then you might like to think, and with the event of Covid and draconian measures that also lead to questionable transparency etc

Id also expect its also not just based on federal government but also state, so issues of corruption under Labor state leadership may affect our ranking, even an investigation into things like Victorias quarantine debacle that couldn't find who made a decision might affect our ranking. (corruption/cover ups etc all related)

"While corruption takes vastly different forms from country to country, this year’s scores reveal that all regions of the globe are at a standstill when it comes to fighting public sector corruption.

At the top of the CPI, countries in Western Europe and the European Union continue to wrestle with transparency and accountability in their response to COVID-19, threatening the region’s clean image. In parts of Asia Pacific, the Americas, Eastern Europe and Central Asia, increasing restrictions on accountability measures and basic civil freedoms allow corruption to go unchecked. Even historically high-performing countries are showing signs of decline.

In the Middle East and North Africa, the interests of a powerful few continue to dominate the political and private sphere, and the limitations placed on civil and political freedoms are blocking any significant progress. In Sub-Saharan Africa, armed conflict, violent transitions of power and increasing terrorist threats combined with poor enforcement of anti-corruption commitments rob citizens of their basic rights and services."

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:34pm
zenagain wrote:

You see Indo, perception is everything. For example- on the surface, I perceive Vic to be a potty-mouthed, one-eyed, know-it-all who sees anyone that doesn't subscribe to his narrow world view as a far right leaning fascist, racist, anti-semitic xenophobe incapable of having their own thought.

When in actuality, he probably is.

:D

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:40pm

Btw- I don't disagree. Scomo's time is up. Fuckers for the most part are rotten to the core.

I totally agree with Andy-mac, nothing short of a federal ICAC with the powers of a Royal Comission and real penalties able to be implemented retroactively is sorely overdue in Oz. Somehow though, I don't think Labor are up for either. Too many skeletons in both closets I'm afraid.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:49pm

@indo I fully support your argument here. And I also acknowledge the evidence shared by some that we are experiencing a negative trend in the corruption perception index. That might be enough for some people to demand a change in government. For some, it is not.

However, I haven't seen any compelling evidence shared on these forums to persuade me that future, different government will improve this score? What is that perception based on? I've seen plenty of bitching, sharing twitter memes but I don't form my opinions based on that. Can anyone share evidence to support the hypothesis of 'future labour government will improve corruption perception index'? Happy to be convinced with compelling info.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 2:50pm

OK ID, you just keep living in your fantasy world where perceptions aren't based on real world situations, and the perception that a country is corrupt doesn't have consequences.
You'll pretty much say anything rather than acknowledge that Australia is a shit load more corrupt after 9 years of the LNP dogs in power.
Angus Taylor gave $80 million of our tax money to his cayman Island water trading mate for no water. But hey, all "Cool and Normal" for you Indo.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:17pm
Vic Local wrote:

OK ID, you just keep living in your fantasy world where perceptions aren't based on real world situations, and the perception that a country is corrupt doesn't have consequences.
You'll pretty much say anything rather than acknowledge that Australia is a shit load more corrupt after 9 years of the LNP dogs in power.
Angus Taylor gave $80 million of our tax money to his cayman Island water trading mate for no water. But hey, all "Cool and Normal" for you Indo.

Heres a reality check for you, yes it doesn't show the latest rise.

There is really no clear pattern, it rose a tad when Labor got in and then also feel, and has been at very low levels since 2018 when Scomo came in until the last year or so where it has risen again, but still quite low when looking at the bigger picture..

BTW. You can only go back two more years before this with graph data the two years before were 86 & 88

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:18pm

Farrrrrrrrrrrk me ID, you are desperate mate. Of course it doesn't show the latest rise you absolute moron. because the latest index rating has plummeted.
And you do realise that a low score isn't good.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's your shittest take ever mate.
Rather than reading ID's bullshit, people can read the scathing report for themselves.

https://transparency.org.au/worst-ever-corruption-score/

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:22pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:23pm

At least he's holding a hose.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:26pm

@zen, perception is reality in most instances but let's ponder how people can be offensive.

People can be boringly offensive by being a " .... potty-mouthed, one-eyed, know-it-all who sees anyone that doesn't subscribe to his narrow world view as a far right leaning fascist, racist, anti-semitic xenophobe incapable of having their own thought". Alternatively, people can be equally offensive (IMO) by presenting the most outrageous ideas, that have been disproven beyond debate, that are sourced from highly questionable sources, that fly in the face of history, science or economics or reason, but are always wrapped in the sugar-coated call for "a polite discussion". Having a questioning mind is a good thing but at what stage is enough is enough and its ok to call out the boring infantile online twats? Thoughts?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:34pm
Vic Local wrote:

Farrrrrrrrrrrk me ID, you are desperate mate. Of course it doesn't show the latest rise you absolute moron. because the latest index rating has plummeted.
And you do realise that a low score isn't good.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. That's your shittest take ever mate.
Rather than reading ID's bullshit, people can read the scathing report for themselves.

https://transparency.org.au/worst-ever-corruption-score/

Ha ha whoops reading things the wrong way.

Well good on Howard then he clearly kicked arse.

But if your beloved Labor are so pure then why is the biggest drop during Labor years???

Can you answer that???

I thought they were corruption free???

Then yeah went down more again during recent LNP years, clearly an issue for both Labor and LNP.

But again let's remember we only recently dropped out of the top ten least corrupt countries out of what was it 180 countries/

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:29pm

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:44pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/psyvret/status/1489391947772874754?s=21

Richard Colbeck went to the cricket for 3 days instead of doing his job....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:49pm
zenagain wrote:

Btw- I don't disagree. Scomo's time is up. Fuckers for the most part are rotten to the core.

I totally agree with Andy-mac, nothing short of a federal ICAC with the powers of a Royal Comission and real penalties able to be implemented retroactively is sorely overdue in Oz. Somehow though, I don't think Labor are up for either. Too many skeletons in both closets I'm afraid.

Think you are probably correct Zen. But if the momentum got going with ICAC, maybe no political power could stop it taking in a life of its own. Fitzgerald inquiry in Qld nailed quite a few of Joh's cabinet, although Joh himself seemed to dodge it ..
More chance of something happening under Labor than LNP. A think a permanent body set up would be best way forward.... Keep an eye on them all....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 3:57pm

@indo , a very good friend of mine has supported the LIberal Party for 40+ years . We have bagged each other’s political preferences for all this time but always remained good friends. He’s voting Labor this year, first time ever . That says a lot to me .

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 4:04pm

"Ha ha whoops reading things the wrong way."
What a humiliation Indo, and now you're trying to salvage a draw.
the reality is Transparency International, the people who did the ratings, changed their system in 2012 which accounted for most of Labor's deteriorating numbers in their final year.
your shitful corrupt mob have caused our rating to plummet over 9 years. 9 FUCKING YEARS. AND THIS YEAR'S FIGURES ARE THE WORST EVER NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT THEM.
Here's the difference between you and me ID. I clap and cheer when Labor scum like O'beid and McDonald go down for corruption. You on the other hand (Just like Scumo) deny, ignore, play whataboutism, and generally excuse LNP corrupt dogs. Nobody in the LNP is ever held accountable for being crooks. Cover up is their default position. That's why the country is in such a mess.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 4:25pm

ha ha always some excuse.

I honestly have trouble taking you seriously VL the shit you spin.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 4:33pm

What's the excuse you are referring to champ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 4:46pm

Reckon it's worth looking at Australia's slide again, especially that drop in the last year.

Federal ICAC now.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 5:10pm

I've been a LNP voter my whole life apart from the last election, where I voted Labor and will do it again.

We're a great nation but I think Australia has tilted a little too far right economically from centre and needs some restoring balance of a solid two terms of Labor government with core Labour values and a focus on tackling some challenging issues Australia is currently facing, as apposed to "leaving it to the private sector".

The LNP and scomo get I believe unfairly criticised for being "absent" or asleep at the wheel, unfairly because as can be inferred from indo-dreaming's comments above and is succinctly explained on their website, their core beliefs are to establish stable economic grounds on which the private sector, with minimal govt interference and distortion, can "do its thing" and solve all problems.

A stable economy is an important prerequisite for living standards and quality of life, but I think the LNP has gone overboard with the private sector worshipping and spread it across too many areas of society in which it just does not work so well and leads to poor outcomes, such as health, education, climate change, aged care, underemployment, inequality and housing affordability, etc. These require strong government involvement and leadership. We even see some shortcomings from this approach in our response to covid.

There is a role for government in society as is clearly evidenced by the Nordic countries: see for instance here and here and here and here and here.

I think Australia is at a choice point historically and needs to decide whether to keep going down the US route of private sector worshipping, inequality and concentration of wealth, further compromising of political institutions by commercial interests, the development of a large underclass of poverty, etc, or instead to be more conscious of the US's glaringly obvious failures and to take more seriously the economic characteristics of the Nordic countries that make them so successful on so many levels.

If I was part of economic policy in the Labor party I'd be very carefully investigating these aspects of the Nordic countries that work so well and cherry picking those which they believe would work in Australia and that the Australian public would accept.