New Victoria restrictions

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak started the topic in Sunday, 2 Aug 2020 at 3:15pm

Just watched the press release from Dan Andrews and I really feel for how victorians are going to once again pay for others stupidity. Not sure how they are going to police the 1 hour exercise policy but a trip down the coast for a surf could be costly. I understand these new restrictions are mainly Melbourne suburbs and I’m very grateful for where I live NSW Qld border. When we were in shutdown there was no time limit for our exercise thank god as a 3 hour surf kept me sane after losing my job.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:00am

Border control and quarantine at both Federal Govt responsibilities. The legal basis for these responsibilities are written in the constitution.

Once an international traveller walks out an airport that person (if unwell) becomes a State Govt (health) responsibility.

Nothing has changed with the Prime Marketer pre/post Covid. He wants borders open BUT he wants returning International travellers quarantined in the community and/or hotels ( i.e. State responsibility).

Why is the Prime Marketer wanting to outsource his government’s quarantine responsibilities?

Pretty obvious really, he gets to blame someone else e.g. Victoria when something goes wrong.

A return to open borders is possible tomorrow IF Morrison accepted it is his government‘s responsibility and if he reopened Christmas Island and other remote locations as quarantine stations operated by Commonwealth.

Quarantine should be exactly that.

Note: (1) our borders were closed to international travellers a full 10 weeks after the first Covid case was detected here (2) the state premiers had only 30 hours to arrange hotel quarantine at a time when our prime marketer was still allowing people to fly into the country and jump on a bus or in a Uber to go home with no need to self isolate at home unless they felt unwell.

Edit:

It is the prime marketer that should be asked the hard questions.

It is highly likely we will continue to have outbreaks in hotels under the current arrangements. All quarantining should be done remotely.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:14am

Speaking of hotels, what do blowfly & VicLocal, those staunch defenders of their lord saviour Andrews think of today's news that up until yesterday, they have still been using cheap contract labour in Melbourne's hot hotels, labour hired through Spotless.

After all the shit we've just gone through with the multi-million dollar inquiry and Andrews saying they have fixed the issue, it took the media to find out that not only have they still been using cheap labour, but that 9 people have been infected working there. Oh of course but they say those 9 caught it in the community, not in the hotel they worked where everyone staying there is covid positive.

They have only now stood down the contract labour workers, due to media reporting, not because it's the safe thing to do.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:33am

Let's wait for the full story to come out. Andrews is doing a press conference soon. If the workers did contract the virus at the hotel that should be able to be proven genetically.......but yep handing the contract from one bunch or profit seeking dicks to another doesn't make much sense....unless, as in the original situation, the police did not want the job.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:34am

Yep, Labor just as grubby as anyone else, and of course not restricted to just Victoria.

"Yesterday former Labor Party identity and Mayor of Ipswich Paul Pisasale was sentenced to 7.5 years in gaol for official corruption, sexual assault and other offences.

Investigative journalist Mark Solomons' article about Pisasale in the Brisbane Times last week is well worth a read. This is a quote:

"The Queensland ALP backed Pisasale and his council, almost all of whom were party members, unreservedly despite repeated complaints from local ALP branches about his corrupt activities."

The article gives hints about how Pisasale got away with his corrupt behaviour for so long. It appears he was to some extent protected by people high up in the Qld Labor Party. "

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/protected-species-w...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:56am

Additional comments to my most recent post.

The outsourcing of federal government quarantine responsibilities to the states is just a continuum of the neoliberal scam where the role of conservative federal governments is seen to limited to delivering tax cuts and other forms of largesse to its base, backers and rent seekers. Do nothing but incremental wealth transfer from public to private hands.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 12:21pm

could you be more of an idiot gs? "outsourcing" to a state government is a "neo-liberal" scam? golly. explain again why the federal government only failed in victoria

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 1:52pm

Clearly you haven’t read my previous comments on the matter nor the Australian constitution LL. Quarantine is a Federal Govt responsibility. Mistakes have been made in Victoria and elsewhere but all stem from the fundamental failure of Morrison to accept his responsibilities.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 2:10pm

Dx3. So you don't want a commercial cleaning company (with experience in hospital cleaning) to do a hospital grade commercial cleaning job.
Please tell us who exactly would you bring in to clean the hotels.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 2:43pm

VL - I think if you dig a little deeper you'll find that there was labour hire doing activities other than cleaning the hotels, they were acting as floor wardens. Hence why they were stood down mid-shift and cops came in the replace them.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 2:54pm

Fair point Dx3. Did not know that.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 4:50pm

You sure you cant somehow link the blame to Howard guy?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm

Aged Care Royal Commission has just announced that Covid prep for aged care homes was "insufficient".
Where's the outrage you RWNJs? You hold Dan Andrews personally responsible for the behaviour of individual guards working at 2am. Surely, someone in the Federal Government needs to be held accountable for the shit show in aged care.
The planning was "insufficient" and they were given 6 months warning.
I know who fucked up more.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 5:51pm

@indo, you're right the rot of outsourcing and devolving responsibilities back to the States did start with the unflushable turd.

But ponder this ..... You could fly out to Indo today if Morrison accepted his quarantine responsibilities and had already setup remote quarantine stations for returning international travellers.

What's going to be put in place next month, next year to accomodate the need for international travel if there is no vaccine indo? A continuation of hotel quarantine or the latest brain fart from the Prime Marketer, home quarantine with ankle bracelets?
No no no risk there and especially for Scooter because any outbreak in a hotel or in a community, well that's a State government (health response) responsibility and it (an outbreak) will most likely happen next month, next year.

Scooter the Sly will do nothing and wait for community and economic pressure to steadily build and build and eventually the State Premiers hand will be forced.

Remember indo, the only politician stopping international travel right now is Scooter, he has the power over borders and quarantine and he's keeping them shut because to do something is to risk being blamed for any stuff ups.

What Scooter should be doing is reopening and operating Christmas Island and other remote quarantine stations.

@VL same goes for Aged Care. In January Scooter should have seen what was happening around the world and put in real and meaningful infection control** steps. No no lets do nothing and then try to blame an Covid outbreak on a State Premier.

** The majority of Aged Care facilities are regulated, controlled and funded by the Federal Government on the basis of a Federal Govt prescribed list of resident outcomes including Infection Control (IC). It is unforgivable that the Federal Govt didn't have an IC plan to counter Covid. It ought to be the political scandal of the decade and the Health and Aged Care Ministers should be sacked.

EDIT: it will only take one super spreader to cause a 2nd or 3rd wave anywhere in Australia - Remote (Federal) Quarantine is urgently needed

https://www.theage.com.au/national/just-one-super-spreader-could-spark-a...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 6:04pm

Scumo's "home quarantine" is a sick fucking joke. The behaviour of people in quarantine hotels is a very good indication that a decent percentage of returned travellers simply can't be trusted.
And I bet you can guess who would be responsible for monitoring people in "home quarantine". I will give you a hint, it won't be federal government people.
If scumo got his way, he will set up a deeply flawed system of home quarantine and then blame others when it all turns to shit.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm

Imagine how people have behaved, except it was Ebola home quarantine...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 6:33pm

This is the reality.

Every other state managed to deal with situation and set up quarantine without an outbreak, Victoria didn't.

And now all you people are just looking for excuses to shift blame, if it happened under the watch of a LNP premier, you guys would ripping shreds off them.

No idea how they will deal with the issue in the future but setting up remote quarantine stations would be super costly task, anything that could be done within weeks to months and not years would involve transportable type buildings which would see everyone complaining it would never be good enough.

Hotels were the obvious quick solution.

Personally i really like the idea of being able to quarantine at home with a tracking bracelet thing, not sure of the success but its been done in Hong Kong since March.

BTW. You could combine it with other things like swab test people before they depart the airport so you catch known positives at that point go to medical quarantine even if a hotel is still used..

Also while still at the airport also do a proper test that you have to wait back on as a back up.

And then everyone home quarantine just as a just incase measure.

Even be cheaper than remote quarantine to have medical staff come to your home and do a second test a week latter as a back up, then once the results are back clear you can end home quarantine.

Or something along those lines.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm

You rightly consider cost Indo.

So the cost thus far to the Australian economy in closing our borders 4-6 weeks too late and then not setting up effective remote quarantine?

How many 100s of billions are we up to by now?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 6:54pm

Our borders were shut at a similar time to other countries before some and after some.

But yeah I'm sure with the beauty of hindsight all countries would have closed their borders earlier, but it's a pretty big move, if someone had said this time last year our borders would be shut for six months plus, we would all just laugh at them and say that could never happen. (not to mention lockdowns)

Anyway for Victoria the real cost has come from this second wave after borders were shut.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 7:02pm

https://www.bay939.com.au/news/local-news/121356-covid-19-fragments-foun...

We had that film thread which devolved into movie scripts...

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm

As we've already noted, Labor staffers/Red Shirts are going to try, however implausibly, to deflect blame onto the other side. As lovers of all things China, they are inspired by the words of Sun Tzu, "Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack”(The Art of War). I'm only amazed that they haven't put the responsibility solely at Menzies' feet. Not exactly a surprise so I wouldn't get too upset, Indo, VJ and DX3.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 7:21pm

Indo, our leaders should be proactive and foresee problems before they arise and take action preemptively. That’s their bread and butter day duties.

The bush fires last summer, our borders, quarantine and aged care all areas where Slowmo reacted after the event.

His next challenge? The economy and all we're hearing is the same old trickle down neoliberal clap trap.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 7:29pm

Vic Local - I have gone hard on Andrews and his government and stand by every word, but to your question about aged care, I have also said Colbeck the inept fuck has to go also. With that commission reaching that outcome, the media need to go just as hard on him. They didn’t go hard enough when he didn’t even know the number of deaths in aged care, he should have been sacked at that moment. Now, no question he needs to go.

For the record I also think Morrison is a conniving little weasel prick that deflects any responsibility, his bullshit “I reject the premise of the question” responses.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 1 Oct 2020 at 10:02pm

I can’t remember where I saw it , but it was talking about how the Australian government has a task force that meets every 3 years to plan for such things as pandemic’s and such , in the same article it mentioned that the plan that was in place for a pandemic was never used . Does anyone know about what I’m talking about ? Wish I could find the article.

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 5:46am

Hey Im all for home quarantine.
Might get some mull delivered- its been awhile...
So get fkd!
:-)

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 8:51am

Word of the day appears to be 'neoliberal'. Those who use it frequently rise in our estimation enormously as it demonstrates serious intellectual capacity.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 9:03am

But the big question is D-Rex, has neoliberalism actually defined post modernity?

What we need to do is examine the complex linkages between postmodernism and neoliberalism, the two competing trends in the domain of culture and political economy.

The most important question to be addressed here is the implication of the 'retreat of the state' and the 'emergence of civil society'.

We also need to be aware of the dangers of glorifying 'alternative sites' of development in the era of globalisation for, if unguarded, we may fall into the same neoliberal trap.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:26am

sadly, I think its post modernism that's defining neo liberalism...

unfortunately

and ironically

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:28am

and its the neoliberalism of a labor government that has largely contributed to vicco's little crisis

unfortunately

and ironically

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:32am

...extreme neoliberalisation in fact, leaving the liberal state governnents in their wake!

unfortunately

and ironically

again...

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 3:42pm

I've got no idea what you're saying, Andy, but it makes perfect sense to me!

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 5:14pm

Complete ignorance meets extreme incoherence.

"sadly, I think its post modernism that's defining neo liberalism...

unfortunately

and ironically

and its the neoliberalism of a labor government that has largely contributed to vicco's little crisis

unfortunately

and ironically
...extreme neoliberalisation in fact, leaving the liberal state governnents in their wake!

unfortunately

and ironically"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 7:27pm

Hahahaha. Seppy the clown!

Unfortunately

And moronically

Again...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 12:24am

well i was joking and playing with andym's little statement factsobum, but jokes should have a kernal of truth...

and the kernal is, that your post modern perspective seems to think dan andrews extreme neoliberalism is alright... tidak apa apa...

...and you seem to think there's no problem with the corporate sponsorship of social causes and the general corruption of the NGO industrial megastructure...

good for you, enjoy your own reality and all that...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm

Sorry, but Melbourne's beaches should be closed tomorrow after those complete fucking arseholes put on that performance for Chanel 7 today in St Kilda.
Fuck me, if that type of shit becomes acceptable, we are going to be locked down for Christmas for sure.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 8:56pm

What was it VL? I didn’t see it.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 9:04pm

"and the kernal is, that your post modern perspective seems to think dan andrews extreme neoliberalism is alright... tidak apa apa...

...and you seem to think there's no problem with the corporate sponsorship of social causes and the general corruption of the ngo industrial megastructure..."

What in the wide, wide world of sports does any of this mean??

Anyone?

"enjoy your own reality and all that..."

OK................................

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 9:19pm

its pretty bloody obvious really, well for you it should be... but play dumb if you wish

lets play direct questions for a bit ...just to kerb the ambiguity...

factsobum, what do you think (really think!) of dan andrews using dodgy contract labour to do a job that various government departments are trained to do in a time of crisis?

and, what do you think of nike and other corporations sponsoring blm - a movement based around a very reasonable criticism of slavery - whilst nike has factories using forced labour uyghers to make their flashy shoes here in the year 20 fucking 20!!! (2020)?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:36pm

goofyfoot. It was hundreds of young partying covidiots in front of the Channel 7 cameras. The journo was egging them on, and a bunch of them ended up hugging and kissing him. What a pack of absolute arseholes.
Edited. Thanks zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Oct 2020 at 11:55pm

edit: You're welcome Vic.

billythekid's picture
billythekid's picture
billythekid Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 8:08am

The stKilda beachgoers are not "aresholes". They're just normal people acting like normal people. You try being locked up under Melb restrictions and see how you feel. A lot of those on camera were young. Why should they care anymore? Nobody cares about them and what they're going through.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 9:30am

No billythekid, they are arseholes.
This is selfish behaviour in the extreme. We know this type of shit spreads the virus. We know medical professionals put their lives on the line treating Covid 19 patients, we know people die, we know people have seriously long term consequences from covid 19, we know increased infection numbers will lead to another lockdown, and we know this will have massive economic consequences.
They, and anyone who defends them, are complete arseholes.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 10:53am

That was really disappointing to see. Imagine getting so close, then there's another outbreak - borders remain closed, city remains locked off from regions, Vic remains locked off from opening travel bubble between NZ, ACT, NSW, NT.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 1:57pm

Yep, pretty shit to see.

It's expected though, or at least it should be. People are progressively getting pushed over the edge, to the point of just not caring. There's people who have no work, no prospects of work, no ability to travel to see family and have spent months under strict control....after living their whole lives under freedom.

It's ignorant to think that as restrictions relax, and case numbers become very low, that people won't start chomping at the bit.

Closing the beaches or the parks will just prolong the issue, and potentially just more people over that edge.

The police should have had more presence.

Also, shame on the media for stirring them up. What I could see on social media was people mostly staying with their groups (which is allowed), but bring a news camera along and bang - everyone crowds around and acts stupid.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 3:06pm

Well said Stok, I nearly can’t blame them, but end of the day it was pretty bloody stupid and frustrating to see.

Just people that have deadset had enough and were looking for a good time. Spot on about the media also.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 4:03pm

Yesterday at St Kilda should have been expected and Vicpol should have been there waiting, ideally with the fire brigade to wash the dickheads away post haste.

St Kilda beach foreshore, a poor imitation of Bondi, usual hangout location for glazed out Eastern European backpackers, exhibitionists and pervs of all ages and sizes who like wearing the the slimmest of bathers 3/4s up their arse while wearing $2 mirrored sunglasses. A serious shit hole at the best of times and place I avoid like the plague unless I’m seeing a band at the nearby Palais or riding my bike along the bay trail.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 4:23pm

St Kilda skatepark is pretty mint.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm

Had some epic nights at the Espy that took a long time to recover from

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 4:33pm

Ok got to agree the Espy also excellent and the skate park is well enough away from “the action” so I’m calling that Elwood Nth :)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm

The Prince of wales use to be good too seen plenty of good bands there.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 3 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm

Stok the fatigue is here too, saw very few wearing any mask on beach recently on an arvo, a big % not wearing masks on the beach while lying on it today - with regions at very low levels people just want to breathe.

Surfers of course are exercising so no mask.

And when I saw the St Kilda footage, I could see in the background small groups so many people were at least doing that. Probably worst scenario is that after all this, beach gets banned... it's going to be a very interesting summer if you combine this footage with the Sydney news.