All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 7:11pm

"And Jesus said unto Paul , 'Come forth and receive everlasting life.' . But Paul came fifth and received a toaster."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 7:29pm
tubeshooter wrote:

"And Jesus said unto Paul , 'Come forth and receive everlasting life.' . But Paul came fifth and received a toaster."

Ha ha ha

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:04pm

Love it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:19pm
burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:23pm
udo wrote:

Holy Faaaark
https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=34sdqy

What the?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 1:44pm

catholics, they be crazy!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 20 Apr 2022 at 2:03pm
udo wrote:

Holy Faaaark

The perfect christian.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 9:44pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

3500 years of corruption, murder, hate, plunder, rape and pillage and control. And still people look to it for guidance…fuck, some of us haven’t come far.

And the whole thing is still stuck in the past.

To be fair that's really just traits of human existence, religion has its good and bad points, but if you are a religious person of any region the aim generally is to be a better person and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Obviously many (maybe most?) dont achieve this.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 9:46pm

Crap. Meant to include this comment with Indo's post. I agree with that second to last bit. I feel like the achieving or not is not of issue, it's the trying or being on that path. I don't think religion is required to be on that path, but some kind of spirituality is.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 3:40am

Globally, It’s all been a bit dark lately…here’s something to look forward to..
And He shall judge amongst the nations and rebuke many people…and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares and their spears into pruning hooks…nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore…Isaiah 2:4

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 7:46am
Optimist wrote:

And He shall judge amongst the nations and rebuke many people…and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares and their spears into pruning hooks…nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore…Isaiah 2:4

Are you showing proof the god doesnt exist?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 8:11am
Optimist wrote:

What a load of bs.

Or he(god) could just have no wars…and no innocent people die….if he was real..but he is made up, so people fight.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 9:21am

Be patient. All those deaths must be just necessary preparation for the big judgement day. Testing your faith.

Then the gnashing of teeth can finally begin for billions who doubted. Fair enough, they deserve a lot of gnashing.

How long to wait? Maybe only another 2000 years. But might only be 1000 or even 100 - exciting times.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 9:10am
suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 9:25pm

-

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 11:49pm

Flopti is at it again :

‘Globally, It’s all been a bit dark lately…here’s something to look forward to..
And He shall judge amongst the nations and rebuke many people…and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares and their spears into pruning hooks…nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore…Isaiah 2:4’

When, and where, have you travelled globally recently ? ;) And where exactly has it ‘all’ been a bit dark…

This is quite the random brain fart assumption you are trying to push ;)

And the bit to look forward to ??

It’s a strange and deluded idea to pretend you know what is actually going on globally… (unless maybe you have a penchant for reading wild stories that then influence you to become a wild storyteller too)

The ‘it’s all been a bit dark lately’ is more likely and, appropriately, a mirror - a representation and identification of the globe sitting upon your shoulders ;)

Lights are dimly on. Nobody home…
But gone global ;);)

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 12:51pm
udo wrote:

Holy Faaaark

Did they check the height of the cross relative to the power lines running everywhere. Perhaps Jesus saved him from being fried.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 4:06pm

Yep, great piece of click bait. I’ve been a bit bored today now it’s gone but closing the comments was the right thing to do.
Brutus will have heaps of spare time today

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 7:15pm

Wow, one week of swellnet contributions has proved once and for all that God doesn't exist - makes you wonder why anyone bothered writing Bibles and building churches...if only they'd waited until this week they needn't have bothered.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 6:14am
Constance B Gibson wrote:

I see the comments have been closed on that godawful open letter.

What was the point of it, really? Clickbait for a certain demographic?

It had that off whiff by the title alone. Who came up with that??

Was there a sub editor in the house? or MIA?? Plausible deniability???

Talk about corpo media clickbait 101. Is god (the author) Alan Jones*??

You're a fan of Betoota, aren't ya? I certainly am.. those blokes are geniuses.

They've got quite the back catalogue on religion too.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/government-gets-stuck-into...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/bureau-of-statistics-apolo...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/greens-vow-to-abolish-the-righ...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/religious-extremism-less-l...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/highly-religious-77-year-o...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/lyle-shelton-receives-inco...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/scottys-church-now-an-offi...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/splendour-given-500m-gover...

All this from the first Google search page. And that's just one website!

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 6:49am
thermalben wrote:

You're a fan of Betoota, aren't ya? I certainly am.. those blokes are geniuses.

They've got quite the back catalogue on religion too.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertainment/government-gets-stuck-into...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/bureau-of-statistics-apolo...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/greens-vow-to-abolish-the-righ...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/religious-extremism-less-l...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/highly-religious-77-year-o...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/lyle-shelton-receives-inco...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/scottys-church-now-an-offi...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/splendour-given-500m-gover...

All this from the first Google search page. And that's just one website!

You’re missing the point Ben.

He mistakenly believes it was written by me. That’s what his tripe is all about. It’s got nothing to do with the article itself.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Look at this sentence for a hint of his motivations and for a truly perfect example of over written.
“*or just SNs own hysterical, though less talented (yet as flamboyant!), tediously verbose parroting prancer...“

Poor old Constance. Sixty years of age and still acting like a 13 year old mean girl.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 7:05am

Well that take long did it?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:18am

Well it took me a while...

I hadn't twigged to the connection with CBG's hissy fit and the Dude.

Kinda funny now that I realise it.

There goes objectivity, hey CBG? (not to mention forensic linguistics)

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:40am
GuySmiley wrote:

Well that take long did it?

Sigh. Yes, here we go again.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:37am

Hey, and it worked! I heard about it through another consumer's reference via another surf outlet. Blood feud? Huzzah!

The old, bald & the beer-gutted vs the balding & dad-bodied, mid-life crisis actor. Oz vs US. SwillGrot!

Handbags-at-dawn slap off!

ps the less said about the comments BTL the better.

*or just SNs own hysterical, though less talented (yet as flamboyant!), tediously verbose parroting prancer...

yes , I got sucked in and became part of the SN clickbait.....FFS without me trying to answer rhetorical questions there would have been no reason to shut down the comments...I just realized because of my beliefs , I take responsibility for the horrendous shit fight that broke out....I kept feeding the narrative...just like Ben and Stu are trying to do now.....more clickbait , I guess more money , more better for SN.......makes SN's owners more richer .....because more is better for some!

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:43am

Ben and Stu living the highlife, bankrolled by suckers engaged in a 46 page theological shitfight.

(note: sorry swellnet, my adblockers probably costing you that bathroom reno)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:45am
brutus wrote:

yes , I got sucked in and became part of the SN clickbait.....FFS without me trying to answer rhetorical questions there would have been no reason to shut down the comments...I just realized because of my beliefs , I take responsibility for the horrendous shit fight that broke out....I kept feeding the narrative...just like Ben and Stu are trying to do now.....more clickbait , I guess more money , more better for SN.......makes SN's owners more richer .....because more is better for some!

Clickbait? Most people thought it was funny, and that's why it was run.

Feel free to ask about our biz model, but one thing we've been very clear about is that ads don't make us money. Why else would we have turned to the subscription model?

In fact, there'll likely come a time soon when we turn ads off altogether.

No doubt people will still use the 'clickbait' tag despite it making absolutely no sense then. Feels like a kneejerk accusation that requires no further thought.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:53am

all good Stu , I now realize why Nick C doesn't come on here anymore......you don't see the article as clickbait , others do...which is a reflection on how SN .....

stunet wrote:
brutus wrote:

Clickbait? Most people thought it was funny, and that's why it was run.

Feel free to ask about our biz model, but one thing we've been very clear about is that ads don't make us money. Why else would we have turned to the subscription model?

In fact, there'll likely come a time soon when we turn ads off altogether.

No doubt people will still use the 'clickbait' tag despite it making absolutely no sense then. Feels like a kneejerk accusation that requires no further thought.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 11:01am
brutus wrote:

all good Stu , I now realize why Nick C doesn't come on here anymore......you don't see the article as clickbait , others do...which is a reflection on how SN .....

Nick works for the competition.

I answered you in good faith. Not everything is a dogfight.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 11:48am
brutus wrote:

Hey, and it worked! I heard about it through another consumer's reference via another surf outlet. Blood feud? Huzzah!

The old, bald & the beer-gutted vs the balding & dad-bodied, mid-life crisis actor. Oz vs US. SwillGrot!

Handbags-at-dawn slap off!

ps the less said about the comments BTL the better.

*or just SNs own hysterical, though less talented (yet as flamboyant!), tediously verbose parroting prancer...

more like, avoiding answering and just cut n paste religious rubbish while being a complete hypocritical tosser spreading hate....and playing the victim card.

Now in timeout...lol

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 11:58am

Et tu, Brute?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 12:13pm

If Praying works Brutus id be Praying fookn hard re that USA Visa..
And those 10 ftrs for down the coast..... Beautiful things !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 12:50pm

Brutus has sinned

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 1:05pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Brutus has sinned

God doesnt care. If she cared she would burn every church that her men abused children in.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 1:09pm
burleigh wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Brutus has sinned

God doesnt care. If she cared she would burn every church that her men abused children in.

That would be every church then.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 1:22pm

Beachgrit is that junkie house nobody feels comfortable walking past but at the same time always wonder who's been inside.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 3:07pm

To paraphrase RUN DMC, "whose house? Swellnet's abode!"

As one Beach Grit acolyte commented:

"This seems like a good place to ask, but what the actual fuck is Swellnet all about?

I don’t understand who the people in the comments are. Is there a well-to-do Australian middle-class who are offended by bad language and liable to ring the police on neighbours making noise or not mowing their lawns?

Fucking hell, what a bunch of weird, stiff cunts."

Nobody feels comfortable walking past their joint...

Walk this way, hey Burls?

Same same.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 4:18pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Brutus has sinned

Brutus is consumed elsewhere at the mo- https://www.thoughtco.com/dantes-9-circles-of-hell-741539
“ Center of Hell
After making their way through all nine circles of Hell, Dante and Virgil reach the center of Hell. Here they meet Satan, who is described as a three-headed beast. Each mouth is busy eating a specific person: the left mouth is eating Brutus, the right is eating Cassius, and the center mouth is eating Judas Iscariot. Brutus and Cassius betrayed and caused the murder of Julius Caesar, while Judas did the same to Christ. These are the ultimate sinners, in Dante’s opinion, as they consciously committed acts of treachery against their lords, who were appointed by God. ”

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 4:43pm

Same same? Swellnet's a junkie house too, Burls?

Really?

Not Ted Bullshit's carefully manicured bowling green with the wife's roses and a Neville statue out the front??

Swellnet has a few junkies like yourself. Speaking of, where is VicLocal?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:14pm

Why is Brutus sin binned?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:21pm
stunet wrote:

Well it took me a while...

I hadn't twigged to the connection with CBG's hissy fit and the Dude.

Kinda funny now that I realise it.

There goes objectivity, hey CBG? (not to mention forensic linguistics)

Oh Jaysus, I’m still at the starting blocks. Still haven’t twigged as to what is being referred to here. Mustn’t be spending enough time on swellnet.

Also am intrigued by suchas’ response on behalf of the otherwise indisposed Brutus. ?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:23pm
seeds wrote:

Why is Brutus sin binned?

God and swellnet admin….work in mysterious ways.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:28pm

batfink. This is a safe place. Everything is going to be ok.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:35pm

:-) :-)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 8:50pm

Batfink, Stuart is merely trying to pivot/pirouette away from this main point...

Anyway, that clickbait title! Who came up with it? God the author (and at least if SNs Alan Jones had spraffed it out, it would've made some sense*)?

Is it even accurate? Isn't Brazil's main man and world champ an evangelical (rather than RC)?

Where's the editor?

As Vonnegut said:

"Be a good editor. The Universe needs more good editors, God knows."

*...the cheap and idle bigotry of the title in question.

Alan Jones is a mere pain in the arse...so to speak. Like haemorrhoids.

Sub editor/editor, MIA?

Ha ha...you're pathetic, mate.

FWIW Batfink. CBG here kicked up a mighty stink because he thought Blowin/DudeSweet wrote the 'God' piece - you'd be aware of their history, right? CBG is personally obliged to criticise every single thing Blowin writes.

When it was pointed out that Blowin didn't write it, CBG chose petulance over humility, so rather than admit his mistake he's now doubling down to make it appear that he actually has a problem with the article and not the author.

Fun and games. Fun and games.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 9:02pm

I was aware of most of the posts, less so the history. Cheers.

FWIW, I also thought it was Blowin/DSDS doing the god story. Couldn’t care less about the reaction, I just had the popcorn out. (I am so out of touch).

It isn’t easy to be so heavy handed and also a little boring in writing. I couldn’t read it all, skipped bits. I skip very few articles.

Needed a sub-editor. ;-)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:44pm

It’s been my observation SN can be somewhat of a Wild West were people can post carefully crafted pieces of self-centred utter bullshit for days or weeks with immunity or peddle such ideological claptrap that falls apart with a kindergarten level fact-checking, month after month, again with only the occasional humorous intervention by the editors. But while the lads in the SN Emporium don’t mind an occasional well directed barb at their expense petulance isn’t viewed favourably ....

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 11:02pm

I thought the article was funny. How self important can people be? Expecting miracles and set waves to be delivered by god to highly paid selfish professionals who often drop in on lesser skilled surfers at any crowded lineup.
Meanwhile families in Ukraine are running for their lives and being killed and also praying to the same God and getting wiped out.
Meanwhile cows, chickens and fish life all get killed in huge numbers every day and never get a chance to go to heaven. How self important are humans? We are still in the dark ages if people think some sky daddy is going to invite us to heaven if we are good and have faith in the right God.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 28 Apr 2022 at 11:19pm

It's OK to be offended ....