All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 1:11pm

seeds......if you are just into being , why do you come on here and try and disprove , what I believe in?
Yeah from a just being point of view....the idea of an entity more powerful than any human mind must quite disconcerting..........maybe you should " just let it be>"

seeds wrote:

Speaking of deflections. Nice one.
I’ve already stated I’m into just being.
How many $B is grifted from believers every year?
Still begs the question who created God? He(?)just existed for eternity in the ether? Where and what was that before he created the universe? What was his day job then? Before anything but him(?) existed.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 1:26pm

I haven’t tried to disprove anything. I’ve put forward questions etc. bordering on the rhetorical as I don’t expect an rational answer from you.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 2:00pm

seeds, maybe my rational is not your idea of rational.....having said that.....what I put forward here as a Christian is very rational to Christians over quite a few thousand years......so yeah your rhetorical questions is simply an exercise for you , where you already know the answer, or as you call it and irrational answer relative to your rhetorical question........LOL......

seeds wrote:

I haven’t tried to disprove anything. I’ve put forward questions etc. bordering on the rhetorical as I don’t expect an rational answer from you.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 2:19pm
brutus wrote:

seeds, maybe my rational is not your idea of rational.....having said that.....what I put forward here as a Christian is very rational to Christians over quite a few thousand years......so yeah your rhetorical questions is simply an exercise for you , where you already know the answer, or as you call it and irrational answer relative to your rhetorical question........LOL......

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 2:40pm

yep I'm in a Christian cult me and the other Billion or so people,LOL!

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 3:48pm
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

The world biggest cult is still a cult. A very wealthy one.

How much you give god each week?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 3:49pm

I don’t know the answers. You’re claiming to know them.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:02pm

burleigh....haha...you don't have to give God anything monetary......and yeah cult/group/team whatever you want to call it....or are your referring to the band the Cult ???

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:04pm

seeds I know you don't have any answers , yet I and another billion people don't claim to know, we believe in the answers provided in the Bible!

seeds wrote:

I don’t know the answers. You’re claiming to know them.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:16pm
brutus wrote:

burleigh....haha...you don't have to give God anything monetary......and yeah cult/group/team whatever you want to call it....or are your referring to the band the Cult ???

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

How much do you give though? dont lie, god is watching.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:23pm

Matthew 6:3

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:28pm
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 5:51pm

Brutus :

‘maybe my rational is not your idea of rational.....’

;););)
Not a lot of ‘maybe’ there ;);)
And no ideas needed ;)

- Another reminder that this is an ‘all things religion’ thread… not a ‘I believe in the concept of an only god according to Christian doctrine and take the bible literally’ thread ;);)

The arrogance is astounding.
The evidence overwhelming ;);)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 7:30pm

absolutely no $'s , I don't go to a Church......and God doesn't need my $'s LOL!

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

seeds wrote:

So you’re in a cult?

How much do you give though? dont lie, god is watching.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 7:34pm

JF .....now you are the SN police.....all things religion....and we are talking about religion......so if you have no religion at all , you can't comment here...ya getting desperate Jelly!

So if you have no beliefs you are such a small minority , so you could be irrational and arrogant , as why are you actually here ?

Jelly Flater wrote:

Brutus :

‘maybe my rational is not your idea of rational.....’

;););)
Not a lot of ‘maybe’ there ;);)
And no ideas needed ;)

- Another reminder that this is an ‘all things religion’ thread… not a ‘I believe in the concept of an only god according to Christian doctrine and take the bible literally’ thread ;);)

The arrogance is astounding.
The evidence overwhelming ;);)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 7:36pm

Dear Burleigh , can you please explain why you think Mathew 6: 3 is a scam?

burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 7:56pm

Have religion, can comment.
https://www.spaghettimonster.org/

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 8:09pm
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

i had a quick google search, and from what i read is that you don't disclose how much you give to the church, and by keeping it a secret your father will reward you......

Is that about right? The more you give and the less you say means that god will "reward" you?

The perfect scam, you keep paying to be a good boy in your imaginary gods eyes, and then if you don't pay the guilt and fear of the underground rave will creep into your mind

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 18 Apr 2022 at 8:23pm

Says Brutus :

‘JF .....now you are the SN police.....all things religion....and we are talking about religion......so if you have no religion at all , you can't comment here...ya getting desperate Jelly!

So if you have no beliefs you are such a small minority , so you could be irrational and arrogant , as why are you actually here ?’

Haha ;)
So… you accuse me of being SN police ? Then assume I ‘have’ no religion at all and then because of your assumption claim I can’t comment here ?!

Cmon now. More contradiction. Who’s trying to police who ? Really ;)

And why am I here exactly brutus? I’m actually discussing all things religion -and questioning the necessity and validity of it whilst doing so…

You are exclaiming ‘we are talking about religion’. Your words. And true - you are talking about religion. Not all things religion, though. This is clear and at the core of the fundamental ‘only your perspective on the christian faith’ version of ‘religion’.

Your personal views on biblical history and allegiance to click bait christian ‘facts’ have nothing at all to do with ‘all things religion’.

May as well take off the blinkers ;)

Trying to pretend you are a part of billions of others who have a shared perspective to try bolster your legitimacy and attempting to claim you represent some profound christian cause is also a silly attempt at self inflation ;)

The deflection is still strong ;)
What exactly are you trying to prove…

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 12:38am

Pointless talking to Brutus about religion or even philosophical musings. Once you’re entrapped there is no reasoning or rationalale left.
BTW there is only one meaning of rational.

TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 9:11am

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 10:46am

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 11:00am

Those ancient civilisations and writings existed 3500 years ago and it’s a good thing you guys weren’t born then as you would have been executed for sure ….

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 11:02am

Burleigh, what it actually means is be humble and do not advertise that you are giving to people as it should be from the heart and not about giving so you get Kudos!

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

i had a quick google search, and from what i read is that you don't disclose how much you give to the church, and by keeping it a secret your father will reward you......

Is that about right? The more you give and the less you say means that god will "reward" you?

The perfect scam, you keep paying to be a good boy in your imaginary gods eyes, and then if you don't pay the guilt and fear of the underground rave will creep into your mind

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 11:03am
Optimist wrote:

Those ancient civilisations and writings existed 3500 years ago and it’s a good thing you guys weren’t born then as you would have been executed for sure ….

The entire bible 3500 years old? More holes in that book then Filipe Toledos big wave surfing

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 11:04am
brutus wrote:

Burleigh, what it actually means is be humble and do not advertise that you are giving to people as it should be from the heart and not about giving so you get Kudos!

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

You interpret the way the money hungry church want you to, i'll interpret how normal/sane people will.

TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 11:15am

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39)

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 12:38pm

3500 years of corruption, murder, hate, plunder, rape and pillage and control. And still people look to it for guidance…fuck, some of us haven’t come far.

And the whole thing is still stuck in the past.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:01pm
Roadkill wrote:

3500 years of corruption, murder, hate, plunder, rape and pillage and control. And still people look to it for guidance…fuck, some of us haven’t come far.

And the whole thing is still stuck in the past.

To be fair that's really just traits of human existence, religion has its good and bad points, but if you are a religious person of any region the aim generally is to be a better person and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Obviously many (maybe most?) dont achieve this.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:14pm

Incredible the amount of hate in the bible, yet the happy clapper cult members only celebrate the good parts.

It's like saying a mass murderer is a good guy because he donated to a charity before he did the crimes.

It really is a miracle that billions of people still believe.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:27pm
burleigh wrote:

Incredible the amount of hate in the bible, yet the happy clapper cult members only celebrate the good parts.

It's like saying a mass murderer is a good guy because he donated to a charity before he did the crimes.

Human nature to only look at the good…religious folk just do it more. Look at how christians view abuse in the church…many just try to ignore it and many blame the victims…hardcore christians are some of the worst humans ever. Religion is just a big corrupt pile is crap.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:28pm
seeds wrote:

Pointless talking to Brutus about religion or even philosophical musings. Once you’re entrapped there is no reasoning or rationalale left.

TBH, brutus is a limited thinker. He just can’t go off script. Indoctrinated to the max.

TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:34pm

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:44pm

burleigh.....yeah your interpretation is much more valid , than the Christian perspective .....just wondering how long have you been studying and analysing scripture ?

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:
Optimist wrote:

The perfect scam.

You interpret the way the money hungry church want you to, i'll interpret how normal/sane people will.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:46pm

Burleigh ...which parts of the Bible are you referring to as hatred?

burleigh wrote:

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:50pm
TwsitedDrifter wrote:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)

Well, every single heterosexual man in the world is guilty of that. Anyone that says otherwise is breaking the “thou shall not lie” line.
Woman do it the same.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:50pm

Roadkill......so because there has and is abuse within the Church , you judge all Christians by the actions of a few?
I agree that a lot of Churches are corrupt , just like how our society is totally corrupted......so what's your definition of Hardcore Christians.....and do you think making jokes about paedophilia is acceptable?

Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Human nature to only look at the good…religious folk just do it more. Look at how christians view abuse in the church…many just try to ignore it and many blame the victims…hardcore christians are some of the worst humans ever. Religion is just a big corrupt pile is crap.

TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:51pm

"Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke [reason with] thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord." (Leviticus 19: 17-18)

TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter's picture
TwsitedDrifter Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:53pm

Dear God, please dont let a priest rape me again!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 1:53pm

you really don't get it do ya Roadkill...there is no off script.....there are the Gospels which are non-negotiable, so yeah there is no thinking needed.......what I am really interested in is how you see your world ?

Roadkill wrote:
seeds wrote:

TBH, brutus is a limited thinker. He just can’t go off script. Indoctrinated to the max.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 2:24pm

Because there has been un fathomable abuse in the churches and covered up for centuries is the reason you should not support them Brutus.

It’s a sick corrupt cult that you love and pay money towards

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 4:37pm
burleigh wrote:

Because there has been un fathomable abuse in the churches and covered up for centuries is the reason you should not support them Brutus.

You can condemn and refuse to support or be part of the continuing problem. It can’t be both ways.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 4:52pm
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:

You can condemn and refuse to support or be part of the continuing problem. It can’t be both ways.

I want to add, the worst possible kind of abuse. If this was ANY other organisation they would be condemned/cancelled and dismantled piece by piece.

Yet here we are still talking about a fucking pedo cult like it has never happened

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 5:26pm

burleigh....abuse has always been there in every form. , remember slavery/colonialism.....and I do not give any money to any church and am not affiliated with any church.

If I judged all white people by the actions of their minority whites such as the KKK/white evangelists etc.....where would it end??

burleigh wrote:

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 5:33pm
brutus wrote:

burleigh....abuse has always been there in every form. , remember slavery/colonialism.....and I do not give any money to any church and am not affiliated with any church.

If I judged all white people by the actions of their minority whites such as the KKK/white evangelists etc.....where would it end??

burleigh wrote:

You supporting church is like people still supporting KKK.

You get it now?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 5:51pm

burleigh...I don't support the church...I am the one that initially started the conversation that Scomo/Hillsong/Brian...are not real Christians.....not sure where you keep getting that I support churches.
Do you get it?

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:

You get it now?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 5:59pm

Thats pretty extreme and silly burleigh all kinds of abuse has happened in school settings too and often been covered up, that doesn't mean Schools are bad or should be closed.

Theres negative and positive aspects on most things, despite the negatives churches and other religions often do good things for the community and people.

It's not my thing, but Brutus has shared how finding faith has helped him get through some hard and dark times, so it's been a positive for him.

Each to their own.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 6:08pm

All I know is if everyone lived by Christian values the world would be a much better place. Unlike science religion is meant to be faith based and surely if anybody has reason to be bitter and angry at the system it is brutus, but instead he has followed the path of forgiveness and love for which I have a great respect and admiration.
For someone like burliegh who is an anti vax cult conspiracy theory nutjob to question the faith of a highly respected member of our surf history like brutus says a lot more about himself than he could ever comprehend and I find it pretty rude to say the least. Keep up the good work brutus you are a legend.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 6:31pm
brutus wrote:

burleigh...I don't support the church...I am the one that initially started the conversation that Scomo/Hillsong/Brian...are not real Christians.....not sure where you keep getting that I support churches.
Do you get it?

burleigh wrote:
brutus wrote:

burleigh wrote:

You get it now?

Fair enough Brutus, and I will pay credit where credit is due, you have stayed pretty level headed through this forum.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 Apr 2022 at 6:39pm
old-dog wrote:

All I know is if everyone lived by Christian values the world would be a much better place. Unlike science religion is meant to be faith based and surely if anybody has reason to be bitter and angry at the system it is brutus, but instead he has followed the path of forgiveness and love for which I have a great respect and admiration.
For someone like burliegh who is an anti vax cult conspiracy theory nutjob to question the faith of a highly respected member of our surf history like brutus says a lot more about himself than he could ever comprehend and I find it pretty rude to say the least. Keep up the good work brutus you are a legend.

I agree with a lot of that, I've clashed with Brutus and we disagree on more than we agree on, sometimes he drives me nuts, as im sure i do him, but i still cant help but like and respect him, and in a weird way I'm happy that he has found his faith and it has got him through hard times.

Im all for attacking religion but not so much attacking peoples faith.

BTW. Yeah Burleigh Brutus is also pretty good at remaining civil in debates, respect that too..