2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 23 May 2022 at 10:20am

On a side note, watching Bloomberg to get the feel for the markets following the elections. Predictions are showing strong growth for mining stocks due to anticipated climate change action. Conversely, AGL stock seems to be in the toilet due to the expectation to close coal plants as soon as possible.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 23 May 2022 at 10:25am

Australia does have equality of opportunity. At least as close to it as anywhere else in global history anyway. Every single Australian can ge5 out of bed tomorrow and do their best to achieve what they want and be who they think they can be, without any undue discrimination. This is the definition of equality of opportunity and it is available in Australia.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 23 May 2022 at 10:47am
Hiccups][quote=soggydog wrote:

WTF are these people so afraid of?

intolerance. loss of control. change

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:01am
Hiccups wrote:
sypkan wrote:

most people are more than happy with 'equality of opportunity'

Oh, you think that's what we have? lol

oh, you think that's what the hardcore wokesters are seeking?

lol

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:12am
sypkan wrote:
Hiccups wrote:
sypkan wrote:

most people are more than happy with 'equality of opportunity'

Oh, you think that's what we have? lol

oh, you think that's what the hardcore wokesters are seeking?

lol

What is it the "hardcore wokesters" seek, sypkan? Enlighten me.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:24am
indo-dreaming wrote:

The concern is more they(Teals & Greens) are ideological driven and driven purely by emotion, that's dangerous.

Indo, Indo, Indo... "ideological driven" your kidding?

Note the Teals are highly educated women who have actually worked at the front line of life (many are doctors etc no ideology there just saving lives') verses Coalition party hacks who have had 20 plus years in politics and know SFA else other than extreme right wing IPA BS ideology (now with some sprinkling of religion).

The Teals were voted in by areas that have higher education levels etc its all screaming that you are the one that's driven by ideology and its you that actually lacks education or an open mind that can see through Coalition sound bites that are BS.

The Coalition party that you are cheering for like a footy team has never existed and now almost certainly never will IMHO.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:26am
bonza]
Hiccups wrote:
[quote=soggydog
wrote:

WTF are these people so afraid of?

intolerance. loss of control. change[/quote

All of the above. And it's a beautiful thing. Challenge the bastards. Independents are just a start. Major parties will be scrambling. Lot of good people getting organised outside of major parties who have had enough. I don't fear them at all. I admire them for taking a stand on undelivered policy and corrupt practice.

No sympathy for the devil. This is only the beginning. Major parties have ignored their voters concerns for sometime. Woke or just motivated to see real change. When the water becomes stagnant it is best to throw it out. So why did the libs put so many people off if they were so in touch. Only the voters know. Now the parties are forced to re evaluate their representation all in the name of power. Or all in the name of people. How nice is that. Fucking brilliant.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:41am
I focus wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

The concern is more they(Teals & Greens) are ideological driven and driven purely by emotion, that's dangerous.

Indo, Indo, Indo... "ideological driven" your kidding?

Note the Teals are highly educated women who have actually worked at the front line of life (many are doctors etc no ideology there just saving lives') verses Coalition party hacks who have had 20 plus years in politics and know SFA else other than extreme right wing IPA BS ideology (now with some sprinkling of religion).

The Teals were voted in by areas that have higher education levels etc its all screaming that you are the one that's driven by ideology and its you that actually lacks education or an open mind that can see through Coalition sound bites that are BS.

The Coalition party that you are cheering for like a footy team has never existed and now almost certainly never will IMHO.

Thank you for putting into words what I couldn’t be bothered to do. And much more articulately than I could have I might add.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:39am

ever heard of 'equality of outcome'?

if you haven't... as I said... you haven't been following proceedings...

(and that's just the tip of the iceberg, ...the very very pointiest of tip of the iceberg that can ne shared with the public openly)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:42am

...kinda quaint that some of you guys are stll so 90's...

cute even...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:48am

bit like a daggy dad that's caught in a fashion timewarp of his youth

and wears it proudly, day in day out, like a uniform

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:56am

Care to expand on that (edit. Those comments) comment sypkan?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:47am
I focus wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Note the Teals are highly educated women who have actually worked at the front line of life

Yes, this one. That is the biggest appeal for me, they actually have legit work experience. We are threatened by a political class where the majority have not had real work experience. Tanya Plibersek comes to mind who became a federal MP for Sydney in her mid-20s. I personally don't have anything against her but it begs the question; how much real experience did she have at the time of appointment as a candidate?

A quick Google says - not much. There is a mention of a bit of work for Domestic Violence Unit at the New South Wales Government's Office for the Status and Advancement of Women but nothing else. After that, she basically worked as a research officer for a couple of senators and that's it.

Was this enough? It seems like not much has changed, research officers are predisposed to become MP candidates for their major parties. So, if the trend is to be continued we should investigate who the research officers are today in order to anticipate MPs of the future.

It is this entrenched order that independents are challenging. And let it be, I'm all for it. Majors will have to change or face the oblivion.

Here's an interesting article from 2001 that I found about 1997 preselection for the seat of Sydney.,

https://www.afr.com/politics/sydney-turns-hard-left-20010501-k0z3c

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:49am
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 11:53am

I don't know how to parse the mood for climate change action in the electorate.

Obviously in Syd/Bris/Melbourne it's a vote winner.

In the Federal seat of Page, arguably the area of Aus most affected by climate change, and which includes Lismore and Ballina (as well as Nimbin), National Kevin Hogan was returned to office with an increased share of the primary vote.

The Nationals have campaigned against net zero.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:03pm

Much prefer the daggy dad than the contemptuous modern cunt. At least I know what I'm getting with out a falsified fake performance. How far did man buns take us. Not far. And why should they. Jaded is ignorantly unimpressive whatever year you come from. I'm all for the mullet revivival counter resurgence. Speaks volumes. Fashion kills but don't let it take your soul.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:01pm

man buns and uber woke are one and the same...

a passing phase

you would hope

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:08pm
freeride76 wrote:

In the Federal seat of Page, arguably the area of Aus most affected by climate change, and which includes Lismore and Ballina (as well as Nimbin), National Kevin Hogan was returned to office with an increased share of the primary vote.

i reckon climate change has been totally overstated as a motivating factor

of course if climate change is your thing, you are going to attribute the election outcome to that

just like labor attribute their win to whatever they're offering - which includes climate change

but really, people were just sick and tired of morrison and his totally corrupted government

the cunt had to go

the so called 'action' on climate change some are advocating, was well underway despite morrison and co.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:09pm
seeds wrote:

Care to expand on that (edit. Those comments) comment sypkan?

google it

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:40pm

joking seeds

but do google how a wholesome old school striving for 'equality of opportunity' has morphed into a somewhat wayward strive for 'equality of outcome'

the terms are subtle, but some of my studies went into these terms and mantras way before they even became a thing

it's interesting

and it's about good hearted peaople searching for answers, ...but I would argue, the answers they're searching for are more about justifying why affirmative action like policies of the past - that enabled equality of opportunity - have had limited success, and why we are still plagued with similar problems, despite decades of affirmative action policies

this has led to things like the blm narrative, and to a certain extent, the contemporary gender equality narrative, that puts all eggs in one basket with simplistic, all encompassing, false attributions and answers...

this has led to hyper sensitivity about anyone that wants to say... 'hang on a minute, there's more at play here...'

and all these conversations have been shut down by dogmatic, all in, cultists, who see any alternative or chalkenge to 'the narrative' as racist or misoginyst

...with a violent, non compromising, "you're either with us, or against us" response seen as justified for all sorts of shitfuckery...

and if 'equality of outcome' sounds a bit commy compared to the somewhat benign and clearly well intentioned 'equality of opportunity'

well...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:12pm

What if a man bun has no substance. Does conformity count. Or devalue the individual. Mass apeal or tragic fashion. Care not as long as their happy.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:13pm
sypkan wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

i reckon climate change has been totally overstated as a motivating factor

of course if climate change is your thing, you are going to attribute the election outcome to that

just like labor attribute their win to whatever they're offering - which includes climate change

but really, people were just sick and tired of morrison and his totally corrupted government

the cunt had to go

the so called 'action' on climate change some are advocating, was well underway despite morrison and co.

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:17pm

He's gone,ScottyBoy has been and gone

He's Put his hand up for the speakers position at Hillsong

Now Oz has Alby mcKnow nothin as leader

The fans on and the shits coming.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:24pm
sypkan wrote:

joking seeds

Ha I’m with ya now. I don’t frequent this place enough and have the memory of a goldfish so I forget who leans this way or that. Except Indo. That fucker is rabid!!!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:27pm

Indo’s doppelgänger

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:29pm

TBH, As much as I despise him, I'd love to see Dutton as the next LNP leader.

If ICAC doesn't get him, the next election will annihilate the LNP and put them in even more confusion as to where it is going all wrong.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:35pm

I hope the ICAC is front and centre when the house next sits

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:36pm
seeds wrote:

Albo’s set the wheels in motion before he jumped on the plane to Japan.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:37pm

ps. I don’t think that could be Indo’s doppelgänger. He’s way too tall.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:39pm
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

Here Here

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:46pm

Would like to see a strong ICAC put in place but I'm in two minds about making it retrospective simply in order to pin past LNP ministers. I don't know, just seems petty and a distraction from real business, of which there is a lot to be taken care of.

Everyone knows the last LNP cabinet were a bunch of incompetent, and possibly corrupt, kooks but I can't see what benefit looking backwards does.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:54pm

Geez I have to disagree with that. We get arrested for past crimes as a pleb don’t we. It has to be that tough to clean up the shit so the people get much much better in future no matter what your political leanings

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:01pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Why should the economy be the main focus? I thought you said we were in the best possible economic position possible and that life had never been richer, easier and more stable?

Now you’re saying that we might all be plunged into poverty ?

What do you think the ALP will do differently to the LNP which will damage the economy so greatly? A $1 an hour wage increase for a couple of hundred thousand Aussies?

Yes the last 30 years the economy has been extremely healthy unemployment falling now at all time low and interest rates falling been at historic lows, building industry and real estate market very healthy, so many positives, but people are clearly taking all this for granted thinking it will always be this way and that the economy is not important.

But nothing last forever, you can't have good times forever and there are a lot of signs things are changing inflation rising, interest rates rising, we are going into times of uncertainty economically, when the economy should be the main focus.

Thats not to say we shouldn't or cant act on climate change or other issues, but it needs to be a balanced, sensible measured approach, not a full on ideological based one like you see with the Greens. (and seems the Teals have too)

We have seen the damage the influence of Greens can have under Rudd when he lost control of borders and we had 20K people arrive in one year, the effects of that stuff up has cost billions and been a complete ongoing mess.

So yeah the less influence the Greens and Teals have the better hence why id prefer a Labor majority government.

BTW. I know is not just me that feels this way and has these concerns, I'm currently doing a job for a lovely Indian couple, semi retired in their 60's (he was a train driver but now works part time helping younger people like a jobs councillor or something) first thing they asked me this morning was how i felt about the election result, i try to avoid politics with clients so just said, hmm not really the result i would have preferred, which was like a green light for them to tell me exactly what they thought, every single thought and concern I've had is exactly how they feel, we were in totally agreement on everything.

To be honest it was kind of a surprise that they had such string conservative views, as last week, he was telling me how hard it was when he came to Australia in the 70s to be a person of colour and said his kids had a hard time in the 90s at school and never felt like Australians. (although a comment or two about Dan Andrews did make me think hmmm)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 12:59pm
sypkan wrote:

joking seeds

but do google how a wholesome old school striving for 'equality of opportunity' has morphed into a somewhat wayward strive for 'equality of outcome'

the terms are subtle, but some of my studies went into these terms and mantras way before they even became a thing

it's interesting

and it's about good hearted peaople searching for answers, ...but I would argue, the answers they're searching for are more about justifying why affirmative action like policies of the past - that enabled equality of opportunity - have had limited success, and why we are still plagued with similar problems, despite decades of affirmative action policies

this has led to things like the blm narrative, and to a certain extent, the contemporary gender equality narrative, that puts all eggs in one basket with simplistic, all encompassing, false attributions and answers...

this has led to hyper sensitivity about anyone that wants to say... 'hang on a minute, there's more at play here...'

and all these conversations have been shut down by dogmatic, all in, cultists, who see any alternative or chalkenge to 'the narrative' as racist or misoginyst

...with a violent, non compromising, "you're either with us, or against us" response seen as justified for all sorts of shitfuckery...

and if 'equality of outcome' sounds a bit commy compared to the somewhat benign and clearly well intentioned 'equality of opportunity'

well...

and, just to make that jargon waffle a little easier to understand...

one could (simplisticly) explain the stances of the political spectrum of social issues with these terms, starting at...

equality

equality of opportunity

equality of outcome

i'll let you attach the labels

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:00pm

One thing a strong ICAC will do is keep everyone in line from here on in . Investigating to far back would possibly be a waste of money . What happens when ICAC uncovers blatant corruption and shitfuckery? Are those involved then charged and face court ? What was the final results of Glady’s hearing ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:03pm

One of the reasons Albo might institute a strong ICAC with a retrospective ambit is because it will be one promise he can fully deliver on.

All the talk of cost of living being one of the main election issues is probably something he can't deliver on.

I drove to Bris yesterday to help my daughter get set up there.
Fuel was just under $2.00 a litre here, thought I would wait to get to QLD.
Was $2.17 a litre there.

A hundred dollar trip to Bris!

That is going to bite for most people and if inflation continues to rise then the RBA will raise rates further.

Short of instigating price controls which he has no mandate for I can't see Albo or the ALP being able to do anything about most cost of living items.

That will be hard to blame on Scomo 6 months down the track.

The ICAC is a big and easy winner for him.
Unless of course it's his Ministers who get caught in the net, which is why he will be keen to look backwards first, to the last govt.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:10pm

If his ministers get caught great. Clean the whole system up. It’s us who will benefit.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:13pm
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

speaking of dopplegangers...

albo did an amazing impersonation of donald trump as he boarded the plane

Im sure it was unintentional, but the likeness was striking

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:13pm

I agree, a Federal ICAC was my major reason for voting.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:19pm
sypkan wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
seeds wrote:

speaking of dopplegangers...

albo did an amazing impersonation of donald trump as he boarded the plane

Im sure it was unintentional, but the likeness was striking

Not toilet paper stuck to his shoe?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:19pm

None of you lot should hold your breath for a strong ICAC. Those thinking LNP ministers will be worried have zero idea how the whole thing works. TOR will be narrow. It will all be for show.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:22pm
freeride76 wrote:

Fascinating isnt it. Given the Carnage up there and the media coverage of anger at the emergency response. Wonder what's going on up there. Meanwhile in Cowper- Conaghan is hanging on by a bees dick with more counting to come.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:25pm
freeride76 wrote:

is it largely about a yearning for retribution though?

stunet makes a good point, so much to worry about atm, and, an icac will probably achieve fuck all in terms of heads rolling, the system tends to protect its own... across the spectrum!!!

I think it's needed to change practices, but tbh, most of this 'corruption' is just the nature of our current epoch - neoliberalism...

whether it's hunter biden and his questionable renumeration for his 'talents', the oz political class selling us out to china, or big fees and contracts for mates and 'consultants'...

this is the nature of the beast the political class has sold us

Im all for a bit of retributiin though...

and think real change will not come about without it

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:23pm
Roadkill wrote:

None of you lot should hold your breath for a strong ICAC. Those thinking LNP ministers will be worried have zero idea how the whole thing works. TOR will be narrow. It will all be for show.

how does it work RK?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:25pm
freeride76 wrote:

Good on you Steve. I feel this is the main issue to be addressed for Australia. If it is then everyone benefits because our elected will serve not self serve.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:26pm

Indo

"We have seen the damage the influence of Greens can have under Rudd when he lost control of borders and we had 20K people arrive in one year, the effects of that stuff up has cost billions and been a complete ongoing mess."

Correction, Rudd took the border policy to his election Greens had nothing to do with it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:30pm

Sorry to go off course , but , if the nationals have retained more seats than the liberals what’s stopping the next leader of the LNP from being a national ? ……. Come on down Barnaby !

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:35pm
bonza wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Fascinating isnt it. Given the Carnage up there and the media coverage of anger at the emergency response. Wonder what's going on up there. Meanwhile in Cowper- Conaghan is hanging on by a bees dick with more counting to come.

Seemed like there was a lot of heat and noise over it.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:36pm

As good as it would be for ICAC to look back, how far back would be far enough? Will it actually achieve anything by going back in time?

For me, as long as it is from now forward, at least it will hold all accountable and keep them in line. It hopefully will make them look twice at what they are doing and do it in the best interests of the country and it's people for a change.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 May 2022 at 1:39pm

You're probably right there Fitzy.