2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 3:35pm
GuySmiley wrote:
icandig wrote:

Between the devil and the deep blue sea. Ever been to FNQ? Hate to make generalisations, but there is an unsavoury element up there. Redneck agenda.

It’s a generalisation but it has much truth.

Small minded thinking from people who have a chip on each shoulder about their lot living in at best a regional backwater.

Deeply conservative people who voted for Joh for two decades and now for Hanson, deeply suspicious of anything and anybody south of Rockhampton yet they simultaneously expect “southerners” to fly there in droves to wonder at their reef while spending big.

I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve been there to dive on the reef and it’s always been the same bitter aftertaste.

I've thought WTF at different times in Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Townsville and Cairns.
I've also thought the same in Logan, Stanthorpe, Grafton, Kempsey, Cobar, small towns in the Victorian high country, Kalgoorlie and some suburbs of Perth.
I just reckon that element is pretty widespread.
Not a drama though, heaps of good redneck bogans out there, just like there's heaps of fucking horrible rich cunts and hipsters.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:02pm

Totally agree AndyM.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:29pm
Supafreak wrote:

Can anyone name something constructive this oxygen thief has ever done? .https://www.aapnews.com.au/news/hanson-snubs-indigenous-acknowledgement/...

I don't agree with everything she says, some things i strongly disagree with, especially in recent times the whole anti vax thing and some shit i can't take seriously from her but she also has some good ideas & policies, some even borrowed by the LNP and I'm sure she has done her best to block things and support things where needed.

Yeah she sure aint perfect she has her faults, but she is real she aint a fake politician, she's a battler that keeps coming back for more and never scared to say what she thinks and that's why many like her.

I think her presence in Australian politics has been super important just for the shake up factor, and she gives a voice to many Aussies on a range of topics, and where others get walked all over she pushes back harder than anyone, especially on the general decay of Australian values and woke cancer eating away at our society.

There is no person (let alone a women) in politics that has copped more from every corner, even her own party, the LNP, Labor, and 99.9% of media and not just for years, but literally for decades, she has been in the political spotlight since 96 so 27 years.

No person in politics man or women could put up with all she has been put through and continued she even did a stint in jail, If she was in any other party she would worshiped by men and women for her strength and resilience and idealised by feminist, but sadly Instead she has been fair game to attack even in all kinds of misogynistic ways.

Anyway like i said i dont agree with everything she says or stands for its about 50/50 these days, but I have so much respect for her battler spirit.

Can you show me a stronger Aussie women???? (or maybe just a stronger Aussie?)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:34pm
bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:37pm

sure some racists vote for hanson but not all hanson voters are racists. I don't buy that.

"Yesterday, Dr Benjamin Moffitt, an associate professor at Australian Catholic University and author of The Global Rise of Populism, told Crikey that closed borders during the pandemic and Australia’s 50-year-low unemployment rate had limited the salience of immigration, One Nation’s bread-and-butter issue"
https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/05/26/election-result-pauline-hanson/

dick smith on the immigration and pauline thing.
"Before the coronavirus, we were growing at such a rate that, if we continued, we’d have 100 million people in Australia by the end of this century. I’m sure that’s not a sensible number for Australia."
https://www.smh.com.au/national/entrepreneur-dick-smith-on-that-moment-h...

as soon as we bring back the pre pandemic immigration levels then you will see the hanson vote grow. pretty clear why.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:38pm
Island Bay wrote:

Just spent three days working in the mountains of some of NZ’s last real wilderness with a bunch of rednecks, and they were great! Generous, hardworking, practical people.

Were they intelligible? PH in unintelligible.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:38pm
AndyM wrote:

.....Cultures developing semi-independently?

Mebe, but I reckon you are more on the money with the "heaps of good redneck bogans out there, just like there's heaps of fucking horrible rich *'s" line. Traits such as willful ignorance, selfishness, and a lack of empathy run deep in many. Wouldnt want to call it a culture, thats being unfair to bacteria. which have to grow somewhere.

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:44pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Can anyone name something constructive this oxygen thief has ever done? .https://www.aapnews.com.au/news/hanson-snubs-indigenous-acknowledgement/...

I don't agree with everything she says, some things i strongly disagree with, especially in recent times the whole anti vax thing and some shit i can't take seriously from her but she also has some good ideas & policies, some even borrowed by the LNP and I'm sure she has done her best to block things and support things where needed.

Yeah she sure aint perfect she has her faults, but she is real she aint a fake politician, she's a battler that keeps coming back for more and never scared to say what she thinks and that's why many like her.

I think her presence in Australian politics has been super important just for the shake up factor, and she gives a voice to many Aussies on a range of topics, and where others get walked all over she pushes back harder than anyone, especially on the general decay of Australian values and woke cancer eating away at our society.

There is no person (let alone a women) in politics that has copped more from every corner, even her own party, the LNP, Labor, and 99.9% of media and not just for years, but literally for decades, she has been in the political spotlight since 96 so 27 years.

No person in politics man or women could put up with all she has been put through and continued she even did a stint in jail, If she was in any other party she would worshiped by men and women for her strength and resilience and idealised by feminist, but sadly Instead she has been fair game to attack even in all kinds of misogynistic ways.

Anyway like i said i dont agree with everything she says or stands for its about 50/50 these days, but I have so much respect for her battler spirit.

Can you show me a stronger Aussie women???? (or maybe just a stronger Aussie?)

Mate she's a fukwit. She displays the worst of our society. She's been in the can for her shonkiness. Fukwit pure and simple.
And BTW...what is "woke"? Is it supporting equality and diversity and calling out intolerance and ignorance and sheer stupidity? I imagine you'd be woke if you descibed yourself so? Yes? No?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:48pm
AndyM wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:
icandig wrote:

Between the devil and the deep blue sea. Ever been to FNQ? Hate to make generalisations, but there is an unsavoury element up there. Redneck agenda.

It’s a generalisation but it has much truth.

Small minded thinking from people who have a chip on each shoulder about their lot living in at best a regional backwater.

Deeply conservative people who voted for Joh for two decades and now for Hanson, deeply suspicious of anything and anybody south of Rockhampton yet they simultaneously expect “southerners” to fly there in droves to wonder at their reef while spending big.

I’ve lost count the number of times I’ve been there to dive on the reef and it’s always been the same bitter aftertaste.

I've thought WTF at different times in Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Townsville and Cairns.
I've also thought the same in Logan, Stanthorpe, Grafton, Kempsey, Cobar, small towns in the Victorian high country, Kalgoorlie and some suburbs of Perth.
I just reckon that element is pretty widespread.
Not a drama though, heaps of good redneck bogans out there, just like there's heaps of fucking horrible rich cunts and hipsters.

ditto as I said its a generalisation

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 4:57pm

Yep there's heaps to unpack there if you wanted to.
What's actually is a Bogan?
Is that automatically a bad thing?
Would you rather talk polite and correct conversation with a person of means who would take your house from under you or would you prefer to hang out with rough heads and whatever that entails?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 6:25pm

Pauline Hanson, if you are defending her in any way you need to take a serious look at yourself. She is not a good person, scum bag really. Rat cunning maybe, but a dumb as dogshit opportunist. Still laugh at her Uluru effort. What a fucken ignorant fool ....

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 6:33pm

And would add that the people who vote for her are / were useful idiots for LNP, as she always voted along their lines in parliament after maybe some little stunt. As these voters were generally voting again their own interests as the Labor party has always had better policies for low income, lower socio economic groups.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 6:36pm

maybe. so why do people keep voting for her.?

So long as the political class / major parties keep ignoring the rising inequality and the reasons behind it they will continue to fail to neutralise the "dumb as dog opportunists".

so much easier to label everyone and anyone who defends a position by the unpalatable as racist or scum bag

is dick smith a scum bag?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 6:53pm
bonza wrote:

maybe. so why do people keep voting for her.?

So long as the political class / major parties keep ignoring the rising inequality and the reasons behind it they will continue to fail to neutralise the "dumb as dog opportunists".

so much easier to label everyone and anyone who defends a position by the unpalatable as racist or scum bag

is dick smith a scum bag?

No I would not call Dick Smith a scum bag. There are parties mainly in the Greens ( whether workable or not don't know)that wish to introduce policies that would address the rising inequality and Labor policies are always more egalitarian in nature, think public education and Medicare as 2 obvious examples. The point is Hanson may as well be in LNP as her parliament voting record shows, and the LNP actively promote rising inequality with their policies.
What is one thing that she has contributed with the LNP that would address the issues you have mentioned?
She slaggs off Asians, Indigenous Australians and Moslems depending on whatever her latest little brain fart decides, offers nothing to help battling Australians. No mate she is racist scum.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 6:54pm

If you vote for/support a racist, you a complicit in racism. Pauline Hanson is a racist. No ifs or buts.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:00pm
Hiccups wrote:

If you vote for/support a racist, you a complicit in racism. Pauline Hanson is a racist. No ifs or buts.

Ditto....

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:04pm
harrycoopr wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

Just spent three days working in the mountains of some of NZ’s last real wilderness with a bunch of rednecks, and they were great! Generous, hardworking, practical people.

Were they intelligible? PH in unintelligible.

They were intelligible, and highly intelligent. Blew some of the scientists I work with out of the water.

You know of Chuck Yeager, yes? First man to break the sound barrier, and one of the best pilots ever. Total arse end of West Virginia redneck, and unashamedly so. That kind of redneck.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:06pm

"No I would not call Dick Smith a scum bag"

but he supported her? and though you didn't directly say you implied it. and Hiccups just came right out and said it.

you see where I'm going. if people can't say risky things because they are then by default forever deemed as racist then how are we supposed to converse in intelligent conversation to provide real solutions.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:10pm

Attacking certain groups versus having a discussion on immigration levels are 2 separate issues.
I am unaware of where Dick Smith ever supported Pauline Hanson? Source please.
By promoting a reduction in immigration would not warrant supporting an individual.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:38pm

I provided a link up above. It was pretty big news several years ago.
https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/06/dick-smith-backs-...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:47pm
bonza wrote:

I provided a link up above. It was pretty big news several years ago.
https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/06/dick-smith-backs-...

Thanks for link.
My take on the article is that Dick Smith was only supporting the reduction in Immigration which I agree is a subject that should be discussed. He seemed to make clear he would not be supportive of PH or policies singling out individual groups.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 7:54pm

Yes but nevertheless he was attacked as backing a “racist agenda”.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/dick-smiths-immigration-ad-backs-one...

Just like it’s been implied and said on here.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 8:31pm

"I'll never stand for Pauline Hanson's party, I don't have similar views other than when it comes immigration," he said at the time. " Quote from article.

Don't really see how he was being racist calling for lower immigration. However PH has proven to be a racist and a bigot on a number of occasions in regards to singling out Asians, Moslems and Indigenous Australians...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 8:38pm

Pity you can't marry a Muslim without becoming one. The nicest,smartest and prettiest and also most hardworking gf i had who didnt bludge off me, she had two good jobs in mining in west Sumbawa...unfortunately i had to become a Muslim to marry her and im an Atheist, seemed kind of stupid to me but we are still friends...She probably would have got over me pretty quick anyway once she got used to Australian life.Especially my anti religion stance....Also my dad warned me marrying a Muslim will put you under a spotlight by the feds and govt.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 8:48pm

And so we arrive at the type of binary discussion that is one of the hallmarks of modern life.
If you vote for X you are a racist.
If you agree with X in any way, shape or form you therefore agree with their ugliest positions.

Would be nice to be able to go deeper than that.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 8:56pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Speaking of strong women, what a maiden speech.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/jacinta-price-marion-scrymgour-ma...
Pauline Hanson is a fuckwit but that speech by Jacinta Price was outstanding in the majority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64lfrz9ZKE

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 9:23pm
AndyM wrote:

And so we arrive at the type of binary discussion that is one of the hallmarks of modern life.
If you agree with X in any way, shape or form you therefore agree with their ugliest positions.

How about this one.....if you vote for an idiot (Pauline).....ipso facto........

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 9:31pm

Lame

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 9:50pm
AndyM wrote:

Lame

Thanks.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 10:11pm

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 10:28pm

been a while since I've seen 'lame' refer to post with 'facto' ... almost miss it...

appropriately played

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 10:37pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Speaking of strong women, what a maiden speech.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/jacinta-price-marion-scrymgour-ma...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64lfrz9ZKE[/

wow!

what a speach!

some straight up, straight talking aussie culture at its finest there...

the sort of straight talking kick up the butt parliment needs - and not just on indigenous issues...

Im sure it will make the partisans uncomfortable... and I wish she left some things out... but that was most impressive

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 10:36pm

Im glad she brought up the welcome to country thing... i thought she was praising it initially...

sometimes it comes across as cool and well placed... but like most things, tokenistic and mandatory, ...it becomes lame and mundane pretty quick...

and quntas doing it their flights now... abslutely reeks of marketing and mundane over anything else

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 28 Jul 2022 at 11:06pm

and, whilst its hardly an original observation...

and, that word 'diversity' now makes me cringe from deep inside...

the 47th parliment truly is quite a diverse one, definitely the most diverse ever, where parliment is finally beginning to represent the true face of australia

from vietnamese refugees to indigenous people from across the spectrum...

..the independent women's club, and the nutty katters and 'poorlines'...

personally, I think its great

lets see what a labourious labor can do with it...

and hopefully not fuck it up, with their oh so whimsical (non existent) 33 % of the vote mandate...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 6:49am

I’m still waiting for someone to name ONE constructive thing PH has done in her time in parliament.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 7:39am

Good speech by Jacinta Price. Such a difficult scenario with indigenous disadvantage, I have no idea on the best way to address the systemic disadvantage and the generational abuse taking place. Big things need to be done. Saying that however, so called tokenism I believe is a start, giving acknowledgement starts a conversation, indigenous round in footy etc. If you disagree fine, but if someone bumps into you and keeps walking with saying anything you get pissed off, if they immediately say sorry you feel better. That's just tokenism or in other words manners.
What is happening in schools and education in Qld anyway is positive
As far as PH and her racist attitude goes. Bigotry is like cancer and should be cut out as soon as it appears. Howard initially gave this individual oxygen to appeal to that particular fringe, and now she still is there. Fortunately most Australians see her for what she is, a grifter playing on humanity's worse impulses.
What is one thing positive she had ever contributed to the national debate?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 8:15am

A voice to parliament would be a good start....

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 8:37am

Jacinta Price darling regular on Fox News will create division where none is required ….

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/liberal-mps-opposing-voice-to....

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 9:42am
icandig wrote:
AndyM wrote:

How about this one.....if you vote for an idiot (Pauline).....ipso facto........

Lol... birds of a feather?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 10:02am

"What is one thing positive she had ever contributed to the national debate?

one thing...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/senate-vot...

I saw last week on the drum labor have actually come around to this thinking and made some changes

desperation?

populism?

albo desperately trying to prove his rather unconvincing 'im not woke' credentials?

I don't care...

pauline hanson - one

harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr's picture
harrycoopr Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 10:14am
sypkan wrote:

"What is one thing positive she had ever contributed to the national debate?

one thing...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/senate-vot...

I saw last week on the drum labor have actually come around to this thinking and made some changes

desperation?

populism?

albo desperately trying to prove his rather unconvincing 'im not woke' credentials?

I don't care...

pauline hanson - one

Haha Hanson supporters, Hanson apologists.
Haha news.com.au
Haha yr funny

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 10:23am

Im on the fence about an indigenous body advising parliment, but I reckon price raises good points

and even though she didn't say it expliicity, i dare say she sees it as the same old establishment aboriginal crew that enabled many problems to fester just consolidating their power

so yeh, a direct challenge to her agenda...

and price, a direct challenge to their agenda...

all about power... bring on the challenge i say!

...challenges...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nit.com.au/full-list-record-number-of-i...

and, interestingly, for those that love quotas... (the left) ...aboriginal representation in parliment has already exceeded the percentage of population...

that's all good in my book, and gives some credence to price's points

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 10:40am

haha harrycooper...

nice engagement champ

you got nothing

again...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 11:44am

One voice or many? Confirmation bias or limited interest?
https://ulurustatement.org/the-statement/

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 3:52pm

https://m.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm

could that video be any more of an arse kissing exercise.
no mention of gas / energy crisis and housing crisis. over plays the 30% protection (also fails to mention lab states responsible for massive land clearing - hello QLD) and completely ignores the recently announced overhaul of "your future, your super" review. fails to outline how labour will recover the 450GL (tip - it requires buybacks) remaining for the MDBA.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 4:44pm
bonza wrote:

could that video be any more of an arse kissing exercise.
no mention of gas / energy crisis and housing crisis. over plays the 30% protection (also fails to mention lab states responsible for massive land clearing - hello QLD) and completely ignores the recently announced overhaul of "your future, your super" review. fails to outline how labour will recover the 450GL (tip - it requires buybacks) remaining for the MDBA.

Yeah but had me chuckling... :)
Yep and it's Labor's fault for energy, housing, Covid, inflation, deficit, and any other crisis now as they have been in government for nearly a whole 3 months!!! Geez if only LNP were voted back in we would be sweet...

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 4:50pm

I didn't say that. i'm not interested in "we r better than them laladelala
pretty pointless if the result is still shit isn't it.?
I want to see solutions. that story is the same ol misinformation lab supporters would denounce if it came from News LTD less the humour.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 5:00pm
bonza wrote:

I didn't say that. i'm not interested in "we r better than them laladelala
pretty pointless if the result is still shit isn't it.?
I want to see solutions. that story is the same ol misinformation lab supporters would denounce if it came from News LTD less the humour.

Ok sorry was being glib.
I really don't think policy wise Labor are going to be radically different in the issues you raised. Fact is they cannot be as Labor have different factions, and ideological internal battles going on. IE no new coal mines. Greens can push for it but won't happen. Labor are very flawed also. However in saying that I believe with our 2 party system of preferential democracy (with all its faults) they are the party which will have a greater positive impact for Australia and Australians. Some small changes can have a huge effect, seen this already with the Witness K fiasco..

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm

Why would anyone even consider according specific rights to any particular group in our constitution? Who’s looking good for a nod in the 'second' amendment? Don’t stop me now! In the age of communitarianism, every identity group should have a voice.

Get your ears over Slate or the Daily Wire. Your eyes over Fox News or CNN. Supreme super heroes or supreme super villains! Get a load of the rampant destruction/nation saving remedial action these amendment busting Supremes wrought during the end of term third act frenzy. Bam! Kapow!

I rather suspect that there’s a puffed up, self important, megalomaniac sitting or aspiring High Court judge or two somewhere out there in the Lucky Country. One who's watched the RBG doco a hundred times, or one who goes to bed every night reading Clarence Thomas dissents. Licking their lips at the prospect of the 'first' amendment.

Here's future Justice Canavan. And look, there's Justice Hanson-Young! Egged on by their respective cheer squads within the perforce hyper partisan media and political and education classes.

We watched the trailer for this type of horror movie - starring Chief Justice Barwick - back in 75. I reckon we’ve seen enough. Don’t need to start popping the popcorn for the gold class full feature.

I’d prefer we left this portal closed. That we didn’t enter this multi-verse. Wherein we'd officially confirm our status as the 51st state. Replete with it's black robed caped crusaders. The parliament’s bad enough and more than bloody enough as a law making body. Let them sort it out.