Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 8 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm

Where your vid go ilikelamb?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 8 Nov 2021 at 10:31pm
soggydog wrote:

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 8:55am

Man Announces He Will Quit Drinking By 2050

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 9:03am

That’s awesome

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 9:05am
Supafreak wrote:
soggydog wrote:

Here’s a conversation…..”Get fucked.”

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 10:14am

Ha ha FFS.

Watched all video's still obviously fake news(including the video above where despite the heading, it's not confirmed in that video) and just Labor ramping up scare tactics for next election.

In the future will it be available for use for pensioners if they CHOOSE yes because some pensioners would see it as an advantage to help budget as sadly many people are bad budgeters.

Where it has been trialed they have offered it as a voluntary scheme in some areas and some people have taken it up.

Will it ever be compulsory for the pension?

No off course not there is zero benefit to make it compulsory for pensioners, any government that tried to make it so would be voted out.

There is so many benefits to the scheme that easily outweighs other issues, IMHO it should be compulsory for many social wealth fare payments like the dole.

Personally even when i was on the dole i had times where i had $20 budgeted to go out and get pissed on Thursday $1.50 spirit's night, problem is when i was pissed i didn't give a shit about budgeting money and sometimes woke up with nothing or close to nothing in my bank account, id then have to borrow money from flat mates or friends to eat or pay bills, and my flat mates or friends would sometimes be in the same situation, the result was fights over money falling outs, lots of stress and even loss of friendships, and even times where you did go a bit hungry or lived off two minute noodles, i even went to a social welfare worker once with a friend and we got food vouchers to get by.

I had a friend who had a pokie gambling problem and would always blow his dole check on the pokies it was a never ending cycle of owing his mates money so he could eat, and hocking anything he had of worth at cash convertors, in the end his flatmates and good mates, basically had to say sorry no more and contacted his parents and somehow got him to go back home to Tassie and get his shit together. (where he was from and his parents lived)

Im sure there is literally thousands of similar stories that happen every week.

Some even worse like partners with kids and one partner blowing all the cash on alcohol or drugs or gambling (expect now even Crypto addiction would be an issue) and the the other partner not having enough money to buy food or pay bills and the kids often the ones who really suffer.

This all puts pressure on charity groups that already cant keep up with demand and often leads to crime because they have no choice as its the only way to get money to buy food or pay bills.

Off course there is stories of people cheating this card system, buying grocery's and selling etc, and some may turn to crime to get money if have a very serious addiction, it's not completely perfect like most things in life, but its a step in the right direction to helping solve all types of problems.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 10:25am

So the rest of welfare’s recipients should suffer based on the fact that you and your mates where a bunch of cockheads……( possibly still are)?

Not to mention that it’s been privatised to Indue……..who we know very little about. Just another way for the LNP’s mates to extract tax payers money for huge profits while making those in need suffer a little more. Not everyone is a cockhead Indo.

Get a clue mate

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 10:39am

Sounds like a shit life you were living then Indo, ever think about getting a job during that time?

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 11:20am

There are currently 20 aged pensioners on the cashless welfare card. Six went on voluntarily, the rest referred by the gov (compulsory). They are all in Cape York.

https://cpsa.org.au/article/20-age-pensioners-on-cashless-welfare-card-w...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
goofyfoot wrote:

Sounds like a shit life you were living then Indo, ever think about getting a job during that time?

Honestly it only happened to me a few times as i was pretty good with budgeting and not a pot head so didnt have that expense and i learned to leave my Eftpos card at home if going out, but other friends always had money issues, so i can see how the system would be a benefit to many, the time i needed to go get food vouchers was because i had to help pay a bond on a rental (so had like money left for food)

I guess there was heaps of times and things that sucked back then just stressing over money and just not knowing what to do with your life, and its easy to say get a job but harder when you dont have qualifications and any idea what you want to do and then you get depressed and overwhelmed by it all and just say fuck it, but those aspects tend to fade so when i look back now i mostly remember the good aspects like surfing everyday often a few times a day, partying and just a real rich social life as literally my whole circle of friends were living similar life's (none are now)

It was the 90s so jobs weren't easy to come by and to be honest i just wanted to go surfing for most of that period, i had part time jobs at times, mostly hospitality or labouring but it always felt like i was chained down.

But luckily people change and you move on and i guess grow up, actually it was Indo that really motivated me to get a proper job i guess.

@soggydog

I think its a bit harsh to say "get a clue" ive outlined why i see the cards as a positive for many, and im taking my view of real world experience.

I dont think welfare recipients would suffer under the scheme, you still get 20% cash, it just helps ensure the money that the government provides for you to get by, actually goes towards the things that you need to get by like food, rent & paying bills.

But yeah each to their own, thats just my opinion i don't expect everyone to agree.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 12:00pm

Excellent haha

stunet wrote:

Man Announces He Will Quit Drinking By 2050

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 3:15pm

Ok Indo, then how do you explain Indue. This is not about budgets or mitigation, it’s about extraction of taxpayer resources to private entities that are otherwise unnecessary.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm

What about Indue?

You need someone to provide the card and system.

Yeah sure it cost money, most things do, but if you look at the bigger picture you are going to be helping reduce some social issues, and i expect there would be an argument the cards would reduce social security fraud, as the incentive for social security fraud is not there to the same extent when you only receive a payment of 20% cash instead of 100% cash.

You might actually find even if the cost of the system is high, if you look at the bigger picture the saving in other areas such as social services or savings from reduction in social security fraud may cover the cost of the system or at least in part.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm

I think the department of Social Security would be the right place to manage it if it was deemed necessary for some recipients. But as we’ve seen in the past ,if it is a vehicle for the generation of profit, the provision of service will become secondary to shareholders returns. That is my concern amongst others.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 6:57pm

Indue is Liberal party crookedness at its finest.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 7:55pm

Who is Indue owned by?
Indue Limited ABN 97 087 822 464 (“Indue”) is a bank and Authorised Deposit-Taking Institution (“ADI”) that is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority. Indue is owned by financial institutions, each of which is also an ADI.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 7:55pm

Scumo's performance announcing his EV policy today saw him regurgitate more bullshit than blowin. "I never campaigned against electric vehicles" Fark me, remember the "war on the weekend", "they won't tow your boat" blah blah blah.
He told about half a dozen other bald face lies at that press conference. He's taken bullshitting to a new level today, and I'm tipping we are nowhere near peak LNP bullshit.
"I don't think, I know" Macron was right.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 8:38pm

Flash Back

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 8:48pm

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 9:16pm

gragagan “Who is Indue owned by?”

Larry Anthony was the deputy chairman of Indue up until 2013 but his trust company, Illalangi, still owns substantial shares in Indue.

Any expansion in services by Indue will directly benefit the former LNP politician.

“The cashless welfare card is administered by Indue, a non-reporting company based in Australia owned by Liberal and National Party members that donates to the Liberal and National Parties. The Former Chairman of Indue is former LNP MP, Larry Anthony who is the son of former Liberal Country Party Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony. Other companies now owned by Larry Anthony, or by the corporate trustee of his family trust, Illalangi Pty Ltd, work under ‘sub’ contracts for Indue itself and make their profits from dealings with Indue in the course of Indue performing its contracts with the Government. SAS Consulting Group Pty Ltd – a political lobbying group and Unidap Solutions Pty Ltd – an electronic digital IT services corporation provide the current LNP Government directly with various services.. Public money is being transferred to private individuals and corporations with deep connections with the LNP providing questionable benefit to the public and donations to the LNP.”

And yeah Supafreak, it beggars belief that anyone can even think Morrison is someone to be trusted.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 9:31pm

That's way worse than what my 5 second google search turned up about Indue. Why aren't they all locked up??

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 11:49pm

"During the welfare card trials, Indue has received between $4,000 to $10,000 for each participant in the trial, even though the Newstart allowance is less than $14,000 per year.
Certainly, there are start-up costs involved in servicing this type of program, but up to $10,000 for a private company to manage an account only worth up to $14,000 annually raises questions of whether the Indue company is the most cost-effective option for this scheme.
It also raises the question of why Indue was chosen in the first instance, especially when the expertise and experience provided by the National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac or ANZ would have been far superior.

Up to June 2018, the amount received by Indue was at least $8.8 million and, reportedly, up to $21.9 million as at August 2019.
If the roll-out of the cashless welfare card is extended on a widespread basis – as many Liberal and National MPs are now calling for – the value of the Indue company, and the shares held by Anthony and other Liberal and National party operatives will increase exponentially."

https://newpolitics.com.au/2019/08/28/indue-and-the-small-matter-of-poli...

Keep in mind that the Indue card isn't a one-off - this is a conscious policy of transferring public money into private hands, most usually the hands of LNP pollies and their mates.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:11am
AndyM wrote:

"During the welfare card trials, Indue has received between $4,000 to $10,000 for each participant in the trial, even though the Newstart allowance is less than $14,000 per year.
Certainly, there are start-up costs involved in servicing this type of program, but up to $10,000 for a private company to manage an account only worth up to $14,000 annually raises questions of whether the Indue company is the most cost-effective option for this scheme.
It also raises the question of why Indue was chosen in the first instance, especially when the expertise and experience provided by the National Australia Bank, Commonwealth Bank, Westpac or ANZ would have been far superior.

Up to June 2018, the amount received by Indue was at least $8.8 million and, reportedly, up to $21.9 million as at August 2019.
If the roll-out of the cashless welfare card is extended on a widespread basis – as many Liberal and National MPs are now calling for – the value of the Indue company, and the shares held by Anthony and other Liberal and National party operatives will increase exponentially."

Keep in mind that the Indue card isn't a one-off - this is a conscious policy of transferring public money into private hands, most usually the hands of LNP pollies and their mates.

Indo, how about now…..still a good idea?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:15am
Fliplid wrote:
gragagan “Who is Indue owned by?”

Larry Anthony was the deputy chairman of Indue up until 2013 but his trust company, Illalangi, still owns substantial shares in Indue.

Any expansion in services by Indue will directly benefit the former LNP politician.

“The cashless welfare card is administered by Indue, a non-reporting company based in Australia owned by Liberal and National Party members that donates to the Liberal and National Parties. The Former Chairman of Indue is former LNP MP, Larry Anthony who is the son of former Liberal Country Party Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony. Other companies now owned by Larry Anthony, or by the corporate trustee of his family trust, Illalangi Pty Ltd, work under ‘sub’ contracts for Indue itself and make their profits from dealings with Indue in the course of Indue performing its contracts with the Government. SAS Consulting Group Pty Ltd – a political lobbying group and Unidap Solutions Pty Ltd – an electronic digital IT services corporation provide the current LNP Government directly with various services.. Public money is being transferred to private individuals and corporations with deep connections with the LNP providing questionable benefit to the public and donations to the LNP.”

And yeah Supafreak, it beggars belief that anyone can even think Morrison is someone to be trusted.[/quot

How about now Indo?…..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 7:20am
soggydog wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Look i know the system itself is a good idea you provide people with the things they need (and 20% cash) instead of 100% cash that makes complete sense, it obviously goes some way to helping solve many social problems and expect greatly reduce social security fraud too.

THATS WHAT I SUPPORT.

The company itself that runs it, im not here to defend, it's irrelevant to me which company runs it or even what they get paid

But quite obviously comparing running cost of a development of a system and trial is very different to an ongoing widespread program, you can be certain the cost per card (individual) if rolled out on a large scale would be a fraction of the price than the trial per card.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 7:21am

Another 'money for mates' LNP scheme. The gov wants to hand quarantine arrangements
to a company started up by an influential liberal party figure with ties to Morrison's electorate.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-10/private-quarantine-scheme-encoura...

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 8:33am
indo-dreaming wrote:
soggydog wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Look i know the system itself is a good idea you provide people with the things they need (and 20% cash) instead of 100% cash that makes complete sense, it obviously goes some way to helping solve many social problems and expect greatly reduce social security fraud too.

THATS WHAT I SUPPORT.

The company itself that runs it, im not here to defend, it's irrelevant to me which company runs it or even what they get paid

But quite obviously comparing running cost of a development of a system and trial is very different to an ongoing widespread program, you can be certain the cost per card (individual) if rolled out on a large scale would be a fraction of the price than the trial per card.

It has increased SS fraud, the provider is the fraudulent party. Saying you want to reduce welfare fraud for those who need it and you don’t care that there would appear to be corrupt practices in the administration and expansion of the card is pretty ridiculous mate.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 9:11am

Whatever clearly you don't have a clue about the issues around social wealth fare, you just swallow what ever tripe Get Up or whatever tells you to believe, which is to instantly be against anything the LNP does or says.

The idea be it if LNP or Labor brought it out or support it is needed, its just one of those things that makes complete sense and eventually will happen one day.

Pretty much the end of the story

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 9:19am

@Indo - “it's irrelevant to me which company runs it or even what they get paid”

Total lack of ethics there Indo.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 9:32am

The gov aren't doing it to 'fix' any problems, it's all about transfer of Australian taxpayer dollars to private corporations. It's theft, stealing from every Australian and gifting it to their mates.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 9:34am
indo-dreaming wrote:
Whatever clearly you don't have a clue about the issues around social wealth fare, you just swallow what ever tripe Get Up or whatever tells you to believe, which is to instantly be against anything the LNP does or says.

The idea be it if LNP or Labor brought it out or support it is needed, its just one of those things that makes complete sense and eventually will happen one day.

Pretty much the end of the story[/quote

Get Up? Are you serious mate. Your wilful ignorance is astonishing. You’re mind cannot be changed by facts…… I didn’t want to go there….. but here we are. Through numerous posts over the years it is clear that you are devoid of any moral compass what so ever.
It’s blatantly obvious that it is you with the severe lack of clues. Your stupidity is astounding

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm

Cashless welfare cards should only be for people convicted of a family neglect offence….even then they’ll probably just trade goods for cash at a loss to get what they want. The whole thing is a bad idea. I would vote against any government bringing that in for everyone. At the end of the day govts are not responsible for everyone’s behaviour until they cross a legal line. The nanny state thing is getting ridiculous and the cashless society everyone’s enemy.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:37pm

I’ll believe cashless welfare cards are in the public interest when I see corporate welfare being given the same oversight ,hurdles and conditions on expenditure by the taxpayers directly.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:37pm

08-AA6-CEA-AD20-4-BBF-AA03-945-B07-FE268-F

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 12:45pm

For those against the card

If we forget the cost aspect, let's say it full governemt run.

Do you peop think the system and card itself is a good idea?

If not why not?

The only real arguments ive heard is people can't buy things at farmers markets or second hand goods.

Which i don't see as real great arguments as one you still get 20% cash, and if you have 20% of your money left after living expenses on the dole these days you are doing pretty good, so people could still save to buy sonething on ebay or grab some things from a garage sale, and farmers markets in my experience aren't exactly cheap anyway.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 1:04pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

If not why not?

The only real arguments ive heard is people can't buy things at farmers markets or second hand goods.

Which i don't see as real great arguments as one you still get 20% cash, and if you have 20% of your money left after living expenses on the dole these days you are doing pretty good, so people could still save to buy sonething on ebay or grab some things from a garage sale, and farmers markets in my experience aren't exactly cheap anyway.

Fuck that. Australian welfare system is paid for by the people for their times of hardship. Australia is not a nation of overarching totalitarian rule where the money put aside by the taxpayers for their rainy day is dispensed according to the whims of beurocrats. The government is a trustee who holds the money in the interim between the taxpayer handing over funds as tax and then withdrawing funds as social security.

The idea that the government has any say whatsoever in how the money is spent doesn’t enter into it. There is no difference between a public service wage given to a politician and a social security wage paid to a citizen.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

If not why not?

But you put the cost aspect across in the form of recipient fraud when in reality it is fraud by the provider.

eBay Amazon and other such retail outlets are blocked on the card. Purchases have to be approved by Indue after an application is made. How much of someone’s life should be controlled if receiving welfare. And pensions, work your whole life, pay tax, upon retirement someone else decides how you can spend your reward for effort.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 2:19pm
Blowin wrote:

I’ll believe cashless welfare cards are in the public interest when I see corporate welfare being given the same oversight ,hurdles and conditions on expenditure by the taxpayers directly.

You are on the money there Blowin.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 2:32pm

Totally. I'd be very wary of moving to a cashless society.

As for a welfare debit card, double fuck that. Isn't being on welfare bad enough already without being controlled or scrutinised by some faceless bureaucrat?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 2:37pm

@indo , my mother saves most of her age pension, the only bills she really has , is rates and some supplements for her health . We moved back from Bali to care for her and pay for all the food, electricity and water bills . If she was on a card and not using all of it , where does this go ? She worked for 45 years and payed taxes and is entitled to the pension . She doesn’t drink, smoke or gamble ( maybe Saturday lotto 3 times a year ) If she wants to spoil her grandkids, a card won’t allow her to do so . Do you really believe the government cares so much about people that they feel they are doing them a favour by managing where their money is spent ? A drug addict or alcohol isn’t going to suddenly clean themselves up because of a welfare card , they will simply find a way to exchange what the card can give them for cash and be even worse off . This scam is a waste of taxpayers money and if anything really needs to be done it’s to increase welfare payments in this current climate of high rents and cost of living . There is plenty of work at the moment so the government needs to back off making it harder for those that are dependent on welfare. There doesn’t seem to be many punters on SN backing a pension card .

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 2:49pm

More than a tad hypocritical from the gov. Just yesterday Morrison was in the media saying "government should not be telling Australians what to do" and who can forget Barnabys psychedelic rant last year about not wanting government in his life.

But......then again....when there's a dollar to be made

Also put this in the context of the LNP wanting to have ALL government services, (education, health care, aged care etc) handled by private companies not government agencies. This means, as was evident in the federally run aged care homes last year, profit is the over riding concern, not service outcomes to the client.

Anyone thinking this change is a good thing for Australia needs their head read

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 3:02pm

"For those against the card

If not why not?"

it's a disgrace of an idea... it's bad enough being jobless and on welfare without the government dictating where, and on what, you will spend your money

people need the option to make choices for themselves. in this age of the 'freedumb fighter' versus 'dictator dan' dichotomy... enough stuff is getting smoothed over under the noise of the zealots. the welfare card - and a cashless society generally - are both attacks on the one and only true freedom many unfortunate souls have left in our overly managed, nanny state, stifling society...

and, as someone who has had the pleasure of managing someone's cashless welfare card... they create the most insidious subtle monopoly, ...both for chain stores, and on a clients choices...

the cheap chinese shit chain store's cheap chinese shit, is significantly more expensive than the other cheap chinese shit chain store... despite them being in the same town, and even the same complex... and offering essentially the same shit...

and then there is the limited choice 'the client' gets... who is already living a micromanaged life...

it shelters and conditions their world

...institutionalised whilst living on the outside...

how governnents have allowed this to develope and fester is a disgrace, it seems politicians (of all colours) just don't care...

plus, it's the thin edge of wedge... blah blah blah...

having said that, there are times when some people finances need managing... this does not justify a wide sweeping cashless welfare card...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 5:05pm

Scumo says he doesn't want the govt telling people how to live their lives with the exception of the following: He wants to tell who you can and can't marry, how you die, how many kids you should have, what your kids are taught at school, what sort of power you should use, who looks after your super, and whether you can afford a house, what you spend your pension on. etc etc. This flog wants to control the really big decisions in people's lives, but he's still happy for you to drive a big fuck off SUV. (preferably a petrol one)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm

Kind of sad people cant see the obvious social benefits a system like this would bring to dole related payments.

The over ruling authority/loss of control aspects is pretty much irrelevant when you're on the dole you're a slave to the system anyway.

Yeah sure those who already have these issues such as alcohol, drugs. gambling can find ways around it, but it's harder and it does help prevent these issues developing in others.

In regard to the pension its not even worth discussing, it's not proposed and never will be.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm

If it's not proposed for the pension why have the gov put 20 pensioners on cashless welfare cards as a trial?

https://cpsa.org.au/article/20-age-pensioners-on-cashless-welfare-card-w...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 5:35pm

What are these social benefits you speak of Indo?

Beneficial to who?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 5:50pm

@indo , what’s sad is what Scumo says isn’t necessarily what Scumo does.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 6:23pm
zenagain wrote:

What are these social benefits you speak of Indo?

Beneficial to who?

Im guessing you missed my post from yesterday, i will post the relevant bits from my personal experience below, these are just an example id expect there would me more.

indo-dreaming wrote:

Personally even when i was on the dole i had times where i had $20 budgeted to go out and get pissed on Thursday $1.50 spirit's night, problem is when i was pissed i didn't give a shit about budgeting money and sometimes woke up with nothing or close to nothing in my bank account, id then have to borrow money from flat mates or friends to eat or pay bills, and my flat mates or friends would sometimes be in the same situation, the result was fights over money falling outs, lots of stress and even loss of friendships, and even times where you did go a bit hungry or lived off two minute noodles, i even went to a social welfare worker once with a friend and we got food vouchers to get by.

I had a friend who had a pokie gambling problem and would always blow his dole check on the pokies it was a never ending cycle of owing his mates money so he could eat, and hocking anything he had of worth at cash convertors, in the end his flatmates and good mates, basically had to say sorry no more and contacted his parents and somehow got him to go back home to Tassie and get his shit together. (where he was from and his parents lived)

Im sure there is literally thousands of similar stories that happen every week.

Some even worse like partners with kids and one partner blowing all the cash on alcohol or drugs or gambling (expect now even Crypto addiction would be an issue) and the the other partner not having enough money to buy food or pay bills and the kids often the ones who really suffer.

This all puts pressure on charity groups that already cant keep up with demand and often leads to crime because they have no choice as its the only way to get money to buy food or pay bills.

Off course there is stories of people cheating this card system, buying grocery's and selling etc, and some may turn to crime to get money if have a very serious addiction, it's not completely perfect like most things in life, but its a step in the right direction to helping solve all types of problems.

In low social economic community's, pretty much all problems stem from alcohol, drugs, gambling and just money issues often between partners, family, friends etc

Anything that can help reduce these issues surely is a positive, even things like domestic violence is often related too money issues, and like i mentioned above its often one partner like the guy who goes out and blows money on drinking, drugs, gambling etc leaving the other partner in most cases a mother short of money to buy food, rent, pay bills etc

The father often doesn't care until it affects him (then often blames their partner), but in many cases it's the kids and mother that suffer.

The systems would help reduce these issues because it helps ensure the mother and children still can buy groceries, pay bills or rent etc