Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm

Stu - was that a commercial for sat coverage and against fibre OPTICS ?

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:28pm

Connie - very POOR work . A Bridge Too Far .

If you think he is responsible for the rising oil price ( ever heard of OPEC ) and rising building costs in his short tenure he MUST be the worlds most powerful treasurer in living memory , These two items caused 60% of the increase in our most recent CPI numbers .

Why do you write such crap that destroys your credibility ?

When I first saw your comments I thought you sounded smart .

You have REALLY disappointed me ! Just another left commentator like so many on this site .

Full of S...!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm

Rupert stirring the pot .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm

TBH if I were the editor, I wouldn't have been able to help myself.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 4:35pm
Constance B Gibson wrote:

Wow! Surprised much?! Brought to you by the worst treasurer, by any measurable metric, in living memory:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-29/record-prices-are-at-record-highs...

... all roads lead back to JWH, the unflushable turd of AU politics

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 5:45pm

GS.
Howard basically has half a dozen major legacies, with only one of them being positive.
I'm happy to credit him with better guns laws which have no doubt saved lives.
The little shithead's other major legacies are:
A thoroughly unfair housing market.
2 decades and counting of war in Afghanistan and the Middle East.
Entrenched Middle class welfare by the bucket load.
The use of racism for political gain becoming normalised in the LNP.
A truly shit NBN
Zero action on climate change ensuring Australia was a decade slow to act.

The only reason why conservatives look back fondly on the lying little rodent is he is so much better than 2 out of the 3 LNP PM's that have followed.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:09pm

VL .... opposed the Mabo and Wik decisions, could never say Sorry, weaponised Australia and ANZAC days and more broadly started the ongoing cultural wars, labelled things Australian and unAustralian and turned the once Liberal Party with true “liberalism” values into a refuge for the far right and religious conservatives and evangelicals ... take breath .... the largest taxing PM in AU history who pissed it up against the wall in bribing voters with ongoing tax concessions to the middle and upper classes. A cunning stunt master which history will rate a mm above the current PM.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:16pm

Vic - its not my favourite subject but wasn't the NBN something Ruddy wrote up the plan on a napkin he used to clean his ears ?

What about the Future Fund ? Hate that too .

Howard was terrible at not investing money into infrastructure but by balancing our countries books it did give Ruddy and Swanny heaps of money to waste on things like pink batts , the NBN and giveaways . Surely you would have liked that !

Smiley - gosh you are so good at reading the Australian public . Remember Rudd pretended to be a Jonny lookalike to get elected .

From Wiki

Highest approval rating
John Howard has the third-highest career-peak approval rating, with 67% (10–12 May 1996) . Bob Hawke's highest approval rating was 62% (24–26 Jan 1986), but Newspoll did not poll until over two years after he became Prime Minister.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:18pm

GS. Scumo's legacies will be institutionalised corruption, undermining global efforts to fight global heating, ushering in a post-truth era in Australian politics, and the trashing of our international reputation as an honest broker.
What do they say, "shit legislation can be reversed quickly, reversing the impact of shit people takes much longer". And Scumo is truly a shit person. He's ten times more dishonest and evil than Howard, and Little Johnie bombed the shit out of Iraq for non-existent WMDs.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm

Never voted for Howard, i was too cool back then, but in hindsight he is easily the best PM since ive been born, no surprise he is our second longest running PM.

BTW. speaking of Howard i always assumed it was him who started the immigration detention program, but it was actually Keating in 1992. only learnt that recently.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm

"Howard was terrible at not investing money into infrastructure but by balancing our countries (sic) books..."
Howard governed at a time, when even you could balance the country' books Hutchy. That doesn't make him a good PM. That makes him a lucky PM.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:35pm

Howard era = Hawke/Keating reforms + mining boom #1 tax receipts + flogging off public assets + record low infrastructure spending all pissed up against the wall

If Morrison is returned next election we are truly fucked as a country

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:40pm

Smiley - you do amaze me that you are right sometimes "all pissed up against the wall " by Rudd and Swan . To avoid a recession we did not have as China kept iron ore prices high .

Vic - Everyone knows that it is not in the DNA of the left to save money . Has NEVER happened . Swanny promised many times and people like you believed him that he would do it . Why are you guys so gullible ? So this climate meeting will be different than the 25 held before it ? When it isn't you will blame Scomo .

As I said stick to real-estate .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:49pm

Yeah nah investment advisor spiv

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm

The RBA pinning its hopes on a flood of mass immigration to prevent wage inflation and deflect from a rise in interest rates which would make housing more affordable for encumbent Australians.

The enemy at the gates.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:15pm

Nice rhetoric there Blowin, puts you in great company...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:10pm

Guardian looked into French press around the subs and it's much bigger here than it is in France. They are mainly worried about the relationship with the US rather than AUS, confirming the fact that this kind of deal would never go ahead without US approval. Thinking that Aus can single-handedly buy nuclear subs and pull out of the contract with France without US approvals is very naive.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/nov/02/laffaire-des-sous...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:46pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Smiley - you do amaze me that you are right sometimes "all pissed up against the wall " by Rudd and Swan . To avoid a recession we did not have as China kept iron ore prices high .

Hutchy that ignorance on steroids, mining shed 19% of its work force at the start of the GFC only reason for no recession is "Go early, go hard and go households" Ken Henry.

Labor spent $42 bil, this Morrison Government has given nearly $40 bil to profitable company's a large amount has gone straight out of the country for SFA.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:14am

Focus - The households paid off their credit cards with the handouts and spent none of it . No help .

The miners may have shed 19% but those in the Iron Ore sector were quickly rehired . China' quick response to the GFC definitely save Oz from going into recession imo .

Other countries that also handed out money early but did not have mining exports ALL went into recession . It really was amazing the Oz kept the no recession run going and now holds the world record for years without a recession .

Covid ended our run .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:16am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Focus - The households paid off their credit cards with the handouts and spent none of it . No help .

Not around here.
Syd/Mel people spent stimulus checks on Northern Rivers holidays.
Was one of the biggest tourist seasons ever.

My mate immediately lost his FIFO job in exploration and took 3 years before he got another mining job

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:24am

Companies used the GFC as an excuse to get rid of the dead wood then rehired (hopefully) better employees. The WA mining and gas industry went nuts. Work everywhere.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:25am
JQ wrote:

Nice rhetoric there Blowin, puts you in great company...

I was talking about the RBA.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:32am

Freeride - the $900 was probably spent on some nice French wine by that group .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:35am

they spent it Hutchy, which was the point of the exercise.

economy stayed liquid.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:59am

The building industry went gangbusters as well. I know plenty of builders and tradies who were flat out because of the extra work from the new projects, even my son who left school around that period had no trouble finding work as did all of his mates who left school at the same time.

The money went to every Australian. Contrast that with this last stimulus where billions have gone offshore and to Australian companies who didn't need the handout. Crumbs for the plebs and "nice French wine" for the elite, in fact some got enough to buy the whole chateau

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 9:09am

Freeride - this group did not need the handouts . They would have no trouble paying off their credit cards .

Why was it a good idea to pay the well off a handout ? It wasn't imo .

Your example of tourism is a great one showing how the money was pissed against a wall .

The people who were sacked would not have gone on a holiday unless they were already well off .

Same with people doing reno's . Pay for their new fridge .

Crazy waste of money .

The same with the LNP giving money away to businesses that didn't need it .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm

Usually takes a few turns of the cycle for voters to get a reading on their PM, but it seems we're arriving at the point where Morrison's real nature appears from the smoke cloud.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm

"The same with the LNP giving money away to businesses that didn't need it "

Agree with that statement but the problem is that it is in their DNA to do so

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm

That Scomochio image is one I am going to have to try to steam clean from my memory. Sheeesh!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm

Ya canna trust a man who’s smile is upside down

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 5:17pm
stunet wrote:

Usually takes a few turns of the cycle for voters to get a reading on their PM, but it seems we're arriving at the point where Morrison's real nature appears from the smoke cloud.

Unfortunately some voters will believe the spin that he is standing up for Australia. Additionally they will be the voters whose votes count and he will win the next election.
For record, I very much hope I am wrong!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 5:58pm
andy-mac wrote:
stunet wrote:

Unfortunately some voters will believe the spin that he is standing up for Australia. Additionally they will be the voters whose votes count and he will win the next election.

Palmers $$ + Murdoch + usual scare campaign + maintaining Howard era boomer $$ / largesse = Scomo is a shoein

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 7:56pm
GuySmiley wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
stunet wrote:

Palmers $$ + Murdoch + usual scare campaign + maintaining Howard era boomer $$ / largesse = Scomo is a shoein

Yes very depressing.....

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:40pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

The miners may have shed 19% but those in the Iron Ore sector were quickly rehired . China' quick response to the GFC definitely save Oz from going into recession imo .

Other countries that also handed out money early but did not have mining exports ALL went into recession . It really was amazing the Oz kept the no recession run going and now holds the world record for years without a recession .

Covid ended our run .

You seriously have no FI, mining recovery came later with China's stimulus what kept Australia from recession was Ken Henry.

Other western economies went into recession because they acted behind the curve unlike Australia who went ahead of the curve due to Ken Henry.

You are regurgitating Liberal shrill.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 10:01pm

Really I focus ?

The GFC started in mid 2007 and finished in early 2009 .

In 2006 Iron Ore averaged $US 73 p/t , 2007 $US 80 ,2008 $145 and 2009 $97 .

The Iron Ore price naturally reacted to Chinese stimulus in 2007/8 . The Iron Ore price went up in 2007 and went MUCH higher in 2008 . Volumes of tons shipped also climbed .

Only those that are regurgitating Henry shrill don't understand the effect that the huge increases in volumes AND prices kept Australia out of recession .

Prices

https://www.statista.com/statistics/282830/iron-ore-prices-since-2003/

Volumes

https://www.jtsi.wa.gov.au/docs/default-source/default-document-library/...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 11:00pm

Again Hutchy you have no FI that's what happens when you are a Liberal stooge reciting their BS Leman didn't fall over until Sept 2008.

Chinese stimulus didn't start until Nov 2008

GFC start Nov 2007 I traded markets through the entire cycle.

XJO-2007

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 11:10pm

For the Morrison fan boys

https://t.co/6NgwvrWb08?amp=1

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 5:21am

So let me get this straight, on the show of Kyle a self confessed satanist who openly admits he sold his soul to Satan for money and power,( heard him say it myself) , a random guy who reckons he was the one who trashed Morrison’s opponent, a total dog act, that we should believe what he says ….yeh sounds credible for sure….now I’m not a Morrison fan, but if you can show me someone better to vote for other than the nationals , who are doing a pretty good job in my region ….I’m all ears….a different perspective would be nice but there is no one else around here with more basic common sense than the nats and so we end up with “ please like me” Scott….we could do worse…housing for average joes is my big gripe with all politicians. A basic right with all our land we have and no one with a plan.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 6:14am
Optimist wrote:

... housing for average joes is my big gripe with all politicians. A basic right with all our land we have and no one with a plan.

No basic rights in Australia.

Vaccine mandates for workers has proven that now.

We've now found the shit-show truth.

Unfortunately.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 7:38am
I focus wrote:

For the Morrison fan boys

https://t.co/6NgwvrWb08?amp=1

But but but, Scomo goes to church and the footy, cooks curry for Jen and the girls... Must be a good bloke....
I don't accept the premise of your assertion... .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 7:44am
Optimist wrote:

So let me get this straight, on the show of Kyle a self confessed satanist who openly admits he sold his soul to Satan for money and power,( heard him say it myself) , a random guy who reckons he was the one who trashed Morrison’s opponent, a total dog act, that we should believe what he says ….yeh sounds credible for sure….now I’m not a Morrison fan, but if you can show me someone better to vote for other than the nationals , who are doing a pretty good job in my region ….I’m all ears….a different perspective would be nice but there is no one else around here with more basic common sense than the nats and so we end up with “ please like me” Scott….we could do worse…housing for average joes is my big gripe with all politicians. A basic right with all our land we have and no one with a plan.

Not really random guy...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Dastyari

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 8:07am

Was that him?? Oh OK so he’s the guy that was betraying his country to the Chinese Govt and got the arse from the senate….Nup still not Credible.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 8:11am

Is Sam still trying to be relevant and getting in the media ? Haven't heard of him for years .

A random leftie who was so corrupt he was forced by his own team to leave politics . A former "king maker " in the ALP .

Would still be on the Chinese payroll imo .

Great that he is still having a bitch about the LNP and trying to promote the ALP !!!

That will help Scomo .

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 8:26am
andy-mac wrote:

I don't accept the premise of your assertion... .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

how he gets away with this, every. single. time.

entire press gallery should just hand back their credentials & hang their heads in shame

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 9:34am
Optimist wrote:

Was that him?? Oh OK so he’s the guy that was betraying his country to the Chinese Govt and got the arse from the senate….Nup still not Credible.

That may be all true, regardless what he is telling us about Scomo is also true.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/nasty-saga-you-nearly-missed-200...

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 9:57am

Andy - You admit that Dan is a traitor for the Chinese money , that he was proved to be corrupt ( the ALP knew he was corrupt but it was only when it was proved for all to see that they acted ) , that he was a leader of the ALP and wielded immense power and has no credibility .

Then you say he tells the truth .

You set very low standards .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 9:58am

"No basic rights in Australia."

Yeh right mate, what a ridiculous statement. Yep we could do with a Bill of Rights and less abuse of process by governments, but you should probably read this beforte making blanket accusations.

https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 10:46am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Andy - You admit that Dan is a traitor for the Chinese money , that he was proved to be corrupt ( the ALP knew he was corrupt but it was only when it was proved for all to see that they acted ) , that he was a leader of the ALP and wielded immense power and has no credibility .

Then you say he tells the truth .

You set very low standards .

Yes, if only you held some of the LNP to the same standards you seem to expect from ALP. His case was overblown and trial by Murdoch. How was Andrew Robb's lucrative job after he retired in comparison (Port of Darwin)? Sam received $44k for legal bills from Chinese that was declared versus Robb's $880k pa 'job.' Lets not forget the alleged rapist who received up to a $1,000,000 from a blind trust.
However, this is about Morrison and his past, so stop trying to change the narrative and what he was talking about in interview.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Thursday, 4 Nov 2021 at 11:03am

Andy - you are so funny . I do not set the ALP high standards at all . I know their standards from years of seeing them operate at both the State and Federal level .

I don't know any details of Robbs job . Good though that he might keep the Chinese , who have the lease , honest . I do know that both sides give "jobs for the boys and girls ".

Look at all the ALP former leaders who run Australia's largest superfund's eg Brack . Costello running the Future Fund .

Sorry that you thought I was trying to change the narrative . I do realise that your type will NEVER let that happen so I don't try to try .

Just thought it funny that you admitted you believe the truth from a confirmed liar with no cred . I didn't think it strange at all though .