Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 8:33am

Scomo is an absolute disgrace, it's so so cringeworthy. I feel ashamed.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:16am

Smiley - I read your comment . It did make me smile to think that there is still some on SN who think I am a mole sent by Murdoch to mess with your minds . You might be right ?

"Thick as a Brick " is a song that comes to mind .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:20am
Craig wrote:

Scomo is an absolute disgrace, it's so so cringeworthy. I feel ashamed.

And that's being nice!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:41am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Blind Boy - you are just too funny with what you post .

" surveyed 220 Australian ecologists, conservation scientists, conservation policymakers and environmental consultants. The results, published this year in the international science journal Conservation Letters, found that one-third of government employees who responded had experienced “undue interference” when it came to public communications about their research."

Let me explain what this survey should tell us .

As we all know the group were biased to a Green View . That is what they need to do their jobs and so are rightly biased .

Their definition of "undue influence " would be that they were told that their scientific information was not peer reviewed and probably garbage .

Their view , this is very funny , "It feels terrible to know the truth about impacts to the environment ", actually means I know best and am right . Your my boss so WTF would you know .

The next comment needs no clarification " I feel resentment when I am expected to “toe the line” and support decisions I consider wrong ."

The poor , poor petals !

The Don has found 220 fellow petals , gave them a survey designed to give him answers he wanted because he also felt he had undue influence placed on him and didn't toe the line . He is just throwing a little tantrum . It happens all the time with this type . Don't worry so much .

The funniest thing is that then the Blind one assumes , because of this charade and tantrum , the government is the MOST secretive in our history .

BB - those of use who HAVE lived in the REAL world are not so easily deceived . We know how the game is played . You let them throw their tantrum , think nothing of it and move onto important things .
It really is quite easy .

Response like a true RWNJ, deny, unjustly discredit and abuse in the face of facts. “We we believe science, but only when we’ve told em’ what to say. All that other stuff they say is bullshit, we need to make money er’ regional jobs”

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:49am

If it has any domestic context at all, Scomo casting a haughty French énarque as anti Australian is good brand positioning and clever marketing and will play to his advantage.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:19am
Roker wrote:

If it has any domestic context at all, Scomo casting a haughty French énarque as anti Australian is good brand positioning and clever marketing and will play to his advantage.

It's pure Scumo. Escalating the spat by pretending Macron has sledged the entire country is fucking pathetic. First up, Macron did no such thing. In fact Macron did the exact opposite when he called Scumo a liar. He went out of the way to show respect to Australia and it's people.
Secondly escalating the spat is not good for Australia at all. It's just Scumo putting his political interests ahead of the national interest. I fucking loath this absolute phoney.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:32am

"pretending Macron has sledged the entire country"

Yeah it was a pretty transparent bit of rhetoric, hopefully most saw it as such.
Speaks to the fella's character.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:33am

Scummo is just an embarrassing fool

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:45am

For fans of Scomo....

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 10:47am

I disagree gragagan. I think he is a cunning manipulative parasite determined to preserve and increase the wealth of the top couple of per cent and save what should, by now, be the stranded assets of the fossil fuel corporations. To see him as a fool seriously underestimates his ability to csrry through his repulsive policies.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:05am

Yes he is a cunning manipulative parasite working for the top couple of percent, I was just referring to his handling of the France / submarine situation.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:38am

Worst episode of "An Idiot Abroad" I've seen.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:38am

Im glad Scomo hit back im sick and tired of the rest of the world
kicking our arse like we are a third world country and im really
pleased he cancelled the French obsolete submarines worthless
heaps of rubbish in the modern world. Only thing im a little pissed
about is that the subs are not nuclear armed as thats the only
defence we really have against these Chinese rat bastards that are
coming our way. Also worth a mentioning having America as a stronger
allies is only beneficial for Australia. Cant see the French coming to the
rescue its always been the other way round.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm

Couldn't agree more Evo, I'm sick of the world thinking that Australia's some kind of backward banana republic who is too dumb and incompetent to develop and manage anything other than primary industries.

And I'm totally over the world thinking that we're some sort of client state to the U.S., that we're only too willing to drop everything and take it up the wrong 'un when the Yanks tell us.

If anyone can right these wrongs, it'll be Scotty.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm

Ja whol mein herr. Ve must eliminate these rats

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:27pm

Scotty will fix jt! Just like he did quarantine, the vaccination roll out, climate policy, the toxic parliamentary culture, the submarine deal, water rorts, car park rorts etc etc. There comes a point where wilful ignorance becomes the same kind of problem as the "Good Germans" of WW2. Not wanting to know is not an excuse for supporting no action on climate.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm

To his credit, Scotty did admit to fcuking up the vaccine rollout, then got cracking.

Over here, the Saint Jacinda kept procrastinating for ever and ever, and has not once owned up to making any sort of mistake.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm

Yeh what's a few hundred extra deaths and an extra six weeks or so of lockdown. Good onya Scotty, you .........(enter your insult of choice).

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:50pm

Blind one - Interested to know your choice of insult for Dan the Man .

Approx 650 ( give or take a few hundred ) due to him choosing an inexperienced private contractor to police our hotel quarantine program ( remember the inquiry that no one could remember who did what ) . ALL the other states used the military as suggested .

They also paid the contractor more than $30m for their work .

Makes Scomo look an amature killer .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm

Yeh that was shambolic but remember quarantine is a Federal Government responsibility and the states were unprepared when they were thrown in at the deep end. If Scotty had stepped up and done the bleeding obvious, set up proper quarantine facilities, then the various hotel fiascos including the NSW limousine driver case would never have happened. The only dedicated quarantine centre we had (Howard Springs) was 100% effective at preventing the virus escaping. So spread the blame as you like but a huge proportion is down to Scotty's do nothing management.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 12:56pm

The LNP circus continues. Gladys at ICAC, Tim Smith the drunken idiot, Barnaby Joyce the drunken idiot, Porter in more shit than a Werribee duck for his secret donations, the lunatic Nats wagging the Lib dog, and of course Scumo's disastrous world tour.
And the thing is, we haven't even hit political silly season yet. Let's assume Scumo goes to the polls in May. After the summer holidays, it will be full shit show. Those grubby LNP cvnts will be planning there post-political futures, doing all sorts of shitty deals with shitty people. Clive Palmer will be scaring the sypkans and blowins of Australia. Dodgy money will be flowing freely, and Murdoch will be spreading misinformation like no tomorrow. If you through the shitshow leading up to the 2019 election was bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm

All about the optics.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:28pm

Regarding the submarines; I see it as one of 2 scenarios:

1) They think we are all idiots; Biden apologises to Marcon saying 'I thought they told you...'. It's all misunderstanding. Like me selling something 2nd hand a have a misunderstanding with the potential buyer. Are we really supposed to believe that any country in the world would be purchasing nuclear submarines without the knowledge (and approval) of the US and French intelligence? Especially within the NATO pact. Nonsense, they knew about it and what we're seeing is just a show for the public.

2) Biden is actually going around selling nuclear submarines without discussing anything with his allies, does dodgy deals behind the scenes, and undermines the strength of NATO. Then plays foolish games in public space, all parties blame each other trying to hide their incompetence. So they're all in fact so unorganised that they don't know what they're doing.

From my life experiences, I definitely lean towards 1st scenario.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 1:34pm

Stu - was that a commercial for sat coverage and against fibre OPTICS ?

Constance B Gibson's picture
Constance B Gibson's picture
Constance B Gibson Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm

Wow! Surprised much?! Brought to you by the worst treasurer, by any measurable metric, in living memory:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-29/record-prices-are-at-record-highs...

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:28pm

Connie - very POOR work . A Bridge Too Far .

If you think he is responsible for the rising oil price ( ever heard of OPEC ) and rising building costs in his short tenure he MUST be the worlds most powerful treasurer in living memory , These two items caused 60% of the increase in our most recent CPI numbers .

Why do you write such crap that destroys your credibility ?

When I first saw your comments I thought you sounded smart .

You have REALLY disappointed me ! Just another left commentator like so many on this site .

Full of S...!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm

Rupert stirring the pot .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm

TBH if I were the editor, I wouldn't have been able to help myself.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 4:35pm
Constance B Gibson wrote:

Wow! Surprised much?! Brought to you by the worst treasurer, by any measurable metric, in living memory:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-29/record-prices-are-at-record-highs...

... all roads lead back to JWH, the unflushable turd of AU politics

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 5:45pm

GS.
Howard basically has half a dozen major legacies, with only one of them being positive.
I'm happy to credit him with better guns laws which have no doubt saved lives.
The little shithead's other major legacies are:
A thoroughly unfair housing market.
2 decades and counting of war in Afghanistan and the Middle East.
Entrenched Middle class welfare by the bucket load.
The use of racism for political gain becoming normalised in the LNP.
A truly shit NBN
Zero action on climate change ensuring Australia was a decade slow to act.

The only reason why conservatives look back fondly on the lying little rodent is he is so much better than 2 out of the 3 LNP PM's that have followed.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:09pm

VL .... opposed the Mabo and Wik decisions, could never say Sorry, weaponised Australia and ANZAC days and more broadly started the ongoing cultural wars, labelled things Australian and unAustralian and turned the once Liberal Party with true “liberalism” values into a refuge for the far right and religious conservatives and evangelicals ... take breath .... the largest taxing PM in AU history who pissed it up against the wall in bribing voters with ongoing tax concessions to the middle and upper classes. A cunning stunt master which history will rate a mm above the current PM.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:16pm

Vic - its not my favourite subject but wasn't the NBN something Ruddy wrote up the plan on a napkin he used to clean his ears ?

What about the Future Fund ? Hate that too .

Howard was terrible at not investing money into infrastructure but by balancing our countries books it did give Ruddy and Swanny heaps of money to waste on things like pink batts , the NBN and giveaways . Surely you would have liked that !

Smiley - gosh you are so good at reading the Australian public . Remember Rudd pretended to be a Jonny lookalike to get elected .

From Wiki

Highest approval rating
John Howard has the third-highest career-peak approval rating, with 67% (10–12 May 1996) . Bob Hawke's highest approval rating was 62% (24–26 Jan 1986), but Newspoll did not poll until over two years after he became Prime Minister.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:18pm

GS. Scumo's legacies will be institutionalised corruption, undermining global efforts to fight global heating, ushering in a post-truth era in Australian politics, and the trashing of our international reputation as an honest broker.
What do they say, "shit legislation can be reversed quickly, reversing the impact of shit people takes much longer". And Scumo is truly a shit person. He's ten times more dishonest and evil than Howard, and Little Johnie bombed the shit out of Iraq for non-existent WMDs.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm

Never voted for Howard, i was too cool back then, but in hindsight he is easily the best PM since ive been born, no surprise he is our second longest running PM.

BTW. speaking of Howard i always assumed it was him who started the immigration detention program, but it was actually Keating in 1992. only learnt that recently.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm

"Howard was terrible at not investing money into infrastructure but by balancing our countries (sic) books..."
Howard governed at a time, when even you could balance the country' books Hutchy. That doesn't make him a good PM. That makes him a lucky PM.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:35pm

Howard era = Hawke/Keating reforms + mining boom #1 tax receipts + flogging off public assets + record low infrastructure spending all pissed up against the wall

If Morrison is returned next election we are truly fucked as a country

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:40pm

Smiley - you do amaze me that you are right sometimes "all pissed up against the wall " by Rudd and Swan . To avoid a recession we did not have as China kept iron ore prices high .

Vic - Everyone knows that it is not in the DNA of the left to save money . Has NEVER happened . Swanny promised many times and people like you believed him that he would do it . Why are you guys so gullible ? So this climate meeting will be different than the 25 held before it ? When it isn't you will blame Scomo .

As I said stick to real-estate .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 6:49pm

Yeah nah investment advisor spiv

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm

The RBA pinning its hopes on a flood of mass immigration to prevent wage inflation and deflect from a rise in interest rates which would make housing more affordable for encumbent Australians.

The enemy at the gates.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 9:15pm

Nice rhetoric there Blowin, puts you in great company...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:10pm

Guardian looked into French press around the subs and it's much bigger here than it is in France. They are mainly worried about the relationship with the US rather than AUS, confirming the fact that this kind of deal would never go ahead without US approval. Thinking that Aus can single-handedly buy nuclear subs and pull out of the contract with France without US approvals is very naive.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/nov/02/laffaire-des-sous...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 2 Nov 2021 at 11:46pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Smiley - you do amaze me that you are right sometimes "all pissed up against the wall " by Rudd and Swan . To avoid a recession we did not have as China kept iron ore prices high .

Hutchy that ignorance on steroids, mining shed 19% of its work force at the start of the GFC only reason for no recession is "Go early, go hard and go households" Ken Henry.

Labor spent $42 bil, this Morrison Government has given nearly $40 bil to profitable company's a large amount has gone straight out of the country for SFA.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:14am

Focus - The households paid off their credit cards with the handouts and spent none of it . No help .

The miners may have shed 19% but those in the Iron Ore sector were quickly rehired . China' quick response to the GFC definitely save Oz from going into recession imo .

Other countries that also handed out money early but did not have mining exports ALL went into recession . It really was amazing the Oz kept the no recession run going and now holds the world record for years without a recession .

Covid ended our run .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:16am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Focus - The households paid off their credit cards with the handouts and spent none of it . No help .

Not around here.
Syd/Mel people spent stimulus checks on Northern Rivers holidays.
Was one of the biggest tourist seasons ever.

My mate immediately lost his FIFO job in exploration and took 3 years before he got another mining job

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:24am

Companies used the GFC as an excuse to get rid of the dead wood then rehired (hopefully) better employees. The WA mining and gas industry went nuts. Work everywhere.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:25am
JQ wrote:

Nice rhetoric there Blowin, puts you in great company...

I was talking about the RBA.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:32am

Freeride - the $900 was probably spent on some nice French wine by that group .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021 at 8:35am

they spent it Hutchy, which was the point of the exercise.

economy stayed liquid.