Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:09pm
evosurfer wrote:

GSCO the way you back China is disturbing to the the point of treason I ask this
question are you a westerner a Chinese sympathiser maybe of Chinese heritage
or just take all the benefits Australia provides suck out all the good of this country
but have zero western values and decency. Whatever you are im not impressed.

If we’re talking treason, first in the dock should be useful idiot fat cat gravy train juicers such as John Lord AM, John Brumby AO, and Alexander Downer AC. The bald-faced shilling and spruiking they performed on behalf of Huawei/CCP for years would be comical if wasn’t bordering on sedition.

'Mr Lord said …the company doesn't "dance to the Chinese tune" and the government committee within Huawei was required by Chinese law.

"The purpose within Huawei is to oversight the way that we manage our people, look after them, etc, that's the role it plays with Huawei," Mr Lord said.

"Everything in Huawei is done for the benefit of the people and the shareholders."'

https://www.watoday.com.au/politics/western-australia/it-was-a-strange-a...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:18pm
blindboy wrote:

In terms of China, Australia needs to move on quickly from its current position of outright hostility. It is not so long ago that we had a positive relationship with China generated by our mutually beneficial trading relationship. This was deliberately undermined by the Morrison government for their short term political benefit but to the detriment of many hard working Australians. I imagine groundswell could tell a few stories about the impact of that on the cray fishing industry! Then there is wine, barley etc etc. Equally significantly where we once had some very small influence on China, at least to the extent that they listened to what we had to say even if it was ignored
now our influence is less than zero and China has shown it will act against our interests if the cost to them is small. The only positive in this is that there is still hope the relationship has not been irreparably damaged and that, with a change of government and a change in the rhetoric, it can be rebuilt. Occupying the high moral ground is worth the cost if it produces some effect. There is no hope of that in our current circumstances.

Totally disagree, remember it was China reacting to Scomo backing an enquire into Covid that pissed China off.

Scomo wasn't hostile just firm and stood his ground, we are no match for China but it doesn't mean you allow yourself to get pushed around and go kissing arse.

It was a super important message and a perfect time to draw a line in the sand and send a clear message to the business world to diversify and that the future with China is not a safe and reliable one.

It doesn't mean we continue pushing things too hard and we havent but its just a cooling off that is needed.

BTW. You should be happy China banned our Coal imports, isn't that what you people want?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:22pm
evosurfer wrote:

GSCO the way you back China is disturbing to the the point of treason I ask this
question are you a westerner a Chinese sympathiser maybe of Chinese heritage
or just take all the benefits Australia provides suck out all the good of this country
but have zero western values and decency. Whatever you are im not impressed.

100% agree, believe he has lived and worked in China, maybe wife Chinese..

But when you go hinting at the suggestion Covid didnt start in China and started in the USA, and reason we think it started in China is because of USA media....its quite a big, oh dear, moment.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:27pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

Well, back in the day the Brits, the French, Spanish, Dutch and Portuguese competed for territories… Allegiances formed, enemies and loyalties and intentions constantly switched and swayed back and forth…

Amongst all the debauchery, thievery, murder and conquest there was another side of the world where different empires ruled and fell and rose again.
After the west invaded China in the time of the opium wars the country of China was severely diminished socially and economically as a result.

Through numerous and repeated incidents of western colonial intervention the Portuguese got Macau, Dutch and Spanish had colonies in Taiwan… English and French rule dictated trade at major ports etc. The process of expansion under the guise of trade through military conquests came at a huge cost to the indigenous inhabitants of all countries whether it be Africa, Asia or … dear ol straya ;);)

So now a bit of white mans guilt may be kicking in ;);) All these white ol strayan fellas on their surfing website reckon they know what’s in store ahead…
Wonder how many have sat with Chinese people… How many have shared meals together, conversed and laughed and had a wonderful time together as humans…

Coz we don’t know what China is. Trust me. It’s not the CCP. Just like Australia is not the NLP. All this posturing and bickering and political bullshit is exactly just that. Don’t support or get invested emotionally in either side. The Chinese people don’t want war, we don’t want war. The common theme is two extremely unstable leaders at the head of two separate corrupt entities.

China has a rich traditional culture with values we here in this country share. Different cultures, different language, same basic strengths…

We are maybe a bit scared for what our kids and grandkids may face.
Are we responsible for the historical carnage of the past. No.
If you were Chinese would you feel aggrieved and possibly develop patriotism when reflecting on the seemingly brutal past events involving invading forces whether they be western or, even Japanese, for example.

Do some real searching into the historical facts of China and the west and the rich and long relationship - good and bad. Try understand the Chinese perspective…

If you were now on the cusp of getting the upper hand will u play it? Should you?

How come the west, with its track record of incessant and often unnecessary military expansion and conquest, is crying out bout fairness and ‘protecting interests’ etc?

We can dish it out but don’t like to even perceive a threat, let alone confront it.
Forget the historical stuff … How did the modern stuff pan out ;) Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc the list goes on.

Is it our turn to be on the receiving end? Do we deserve it? It’s tough when we can’t quite manipulate everything to our liking. And what if an emerging superpower wants to protect its interests. I mean, we do that!

So, in the meantime… hit yum cha ;) maybe read some Chinese literature before they were ruled by CCP cockheads. Try a traditional Chinese martial art even ;);)
Or just believe the bullshit we are fed no different to how it’s done to the Chinese people. Two sides of the same coin.

Maybe we forgot we rely on China and they rely on us. Maybe we know the west has set quite an example over time when it comes to power and intent. Maybe they will have a bigger gun one day and we’re used to being the one with the big gun ;);)

We don’t know. That’s the only thing we can all farkn agree on. Great insights gsco. Go meet some Australian Chinese fellas ;);) There are quite a few here;) There are also nice people in China.

Sometimes friends become enemies and then become greater friends. Australia may be able to achieve this. It’s difficult with the US involved but it’s also nice if u think somebody has your back.

Anti China rhetoric is like happily waving a flag of support wif sco mos farked up face on it. Don’t believe our state sanctioned propaganda. It’s no different to the CCP.
The west is only trying to clean up a mess it has been contributing to for a while and when you make rules but break them yourself it’s hard to call others out on it.

Standard example of those unable to differentiate criticism of CCP to Chinese people.
emotive condescending fluff. unable to argue the point so goes for the easy target = uncultured racists. coz surfers have no interest in travelling, experiencing other cultures. "hit a yum cha".. seriously that kinda comment would get you kicked off a uni campus these days.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:05pm

hey evo and ID,

lol, all good, I kind of get why you might come to a conclusion like that, but then again if you'd read all my SN comments since I started contributing in about April last year I don't really see that you'd think that...

but I'm blonde hair, blue eyes, English and Irish heritage, born and bred on the Sunny Coast, just got in from a grovel in 2ft onshore closeouts out the front on my new Pyzel.

Actually I think people here on SN initially thought I worked for the WSL or a local development company tied to the KS wavepool since my first contribution here was expressing a positive attitude towards it. Still wouldn't mind a wavepool on the Coast.

Have spent some time in China (and various other countries) of late mostly for work reasons (finance industry stuff). Did meet a nice Chinese girl along the way. Nothing wrong with that. As a result I keep a keen eye on Chinese economics and politics.

I'm just really trying to get a balanced picture of what's happening in the world. I don't mind asking challenging questions. Nothing wrong with questioning what I see going on around me.

I thought today was a decent debate and I learnt something and modified some of my opinions due to it. I find these forums valuable for this. People aren't afraid to speak their mind.

I appreciate people in here actually taking the time to respond to and debunk anything I say. Blowin actually once said that I wasn't smart or interesting enough to respond to, and he's probably still right...!

Btw ID, I didn't say anywhere that I thought covid started in the US, I just said that you can find lots of articles online concluding that its origin is still up in the air.

Take it easy fellas, maybe don't take too literally questions asked in an online forum by an anonymous person. Maybe I'm just playing the devil's advocate and asking questions that are tough to swallow. You don't really know what I believe.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 7:56pm

Think I met your Chinese mate, Sum Cant, the other day, Jelly. Nice chap but didn't seem a big fan of Aussie protests of Chinese gov. Just sayin'.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:06pm

Was an interesting chat GSCO, and I appreciate your perspective.

it's definitely making me modify my views.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:08pm

Hey gcso, I don’t agree with all of your points of view and perspectives but I appreciate them being on here. +1 on the ‘don’t take it all too seriously’ as well.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:13pm

Just for the record, it was Malcolm Turnbull that passed the foreign interference laws, that were aimed at curbing Chinese influence, in Dec 2017.

That was widely seen as one of the main catalysts for the deteriorating relationship.

Along with the 2018 decision to ban Huawei from building the 5G network on security concerns.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:16pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

If you were now on the cusp of getting the upper hand will u play it? Should you?

How come the west, with its track record of incessant and often unnecessary military expansion and conquest, is crying out bout fairness and ‘protecting interests’ etc?

We can dish it out but don’t like to even perceive a threat, let alone confront it.
Forget the historical stuff … How did the modern stuff pan out ;) Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc the list goes on.

Is it our turn to be on the receiving end? Do we deserve it?

I thought Jelly's entire post raised some pertinent points and was a good addition to the thread. To take those questions and twist them back, if you were in the position of being able to stop this, would you? Would stopping this protect your people? Would your people be OK or in real strife depending on your choice? If you decided to stop it, how far would you be willing to go to do so?

I'll take issue with the not liking to perceive a threat or confront it. Western history is full of moments when dire totalitarian threats were confronted and overcome - it comes from the Roman Republic's founding after centuries of tyrants, and before that in Greece, two and a half thousand years ago. Charles Martel... Thermopylae... Wellington and the Prussians at Waterloo... Milne Bay and Kokoda... Even Neville Chamberlain was frantically re-arming behind the scenes...

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:25pm

Bonza ;)

Just to decipher …
I’m encouraging you to go to yum cha.
Preferably one without white ppl…
As in do your own research amongst and with Chinese ppl (break bread so to spk)

Try immerse yourself slightly in another culture to understand it better for a start.
Try garner respect for simple realities that exist and a simple exercise in opening minds can involve trying new things.

And cockee ;);)
Yes… the brains trust has arrived!
Wonderful input…
Are you gonna revamp our white Australia policy? Yay
Careful, though, you might sound like an inbred racist (unless that is actually what you are)

And let’s also try take a moral high ground like evo and pretend to harp on about western values etc…. And they are exactly what in the context of this?

Is that the value of fear?

How many of you have chinese friends or even the slightest idea of what China intends to do? I have no idea and neither do you… So, in the meantime, I simply encourage you all to broaden your direct experience and actual understanding of China and chinese people ;)
China is not just the CCP.

I also encouraged not taking sides, not being passionate about trying to fuel misguided and ill informed perspectives.
Perspectives formed from a newspaper or news reports that are often one sided and dangerously manipulative and allow you to truly believe in stuff that simply is not real and void of any certainty.

Lotsa spare time on a lot of keyboard warrior hands talkin bout shit they have no idea about ;);)

Carry on… ;)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm

And velocityjohnno I do agree with your comments about ‘moments when dire totalitarian threats were confronted and overcome…’

I need to clarify that maybe a different approach from our government and their effectiveness at actually responding to a threat is of vital importance as in making the distinction between a perceived threat and an actual threat…

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 9:08pm

Jelly. Let's pretend I'm not a uncultured racist and I'll pretend you didn’t equivocate gaining Chinese culture from eating at a yum cha without white people.

I read your take on things is that because we - we being the west - fucked china years ago, thus we should just sit back and take in on the chin. I am no lawyer but that argument apart from being morally bereft is pretty bloody weak.
There are some (many?) who will take an opportunity to criticise CCP as an excuse to attack the Chinese people. They are scum.
My beef is with the CCP and its proxies (and our politicians who have benefited) corruptly influencing our institutions (unis, parliament, businesses, Chinese diaspora ) against Australian interests.

This is happening. I challenge you to dispute it or argue that it’s not a bad thing. As I said earlier 2 wrongs don’t make a right. I see your argument as the opposite to that... now.. this keyboard warrior has a sweet and sour pork dish waiting for him and thankfully no chopsticks in sight

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 10:18pm

Bonza I agree with your beef. It is warranted.

And I do agree two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m not arguing that ;)

Now, we shouldn’t sit back and cop it on the chin at all either… It’s not that simple… we might want to be aware if we are putting our chin out though ;)

My yum cha suggestion was also more metaphorical - I’m coming from the angle of breaking bread/ experiencing Chinese hospitality and being open to the fact it does exist. At a grass roots level we garner an appropriate and more accurate representation of what is real about any culture or people…

Hope you enjoyed the feed;)
A spoon beats the shit out of how much you can shovel with chopsticks any day!

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 10:45pm

Thanks jelly. All the best to you.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 8:35am

White Australia Policy not on but Yellow China Policy OK with you, JF? I think Sum Cant has been in you ear JF.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 8:54am

The political philosophy of the COALition.

Screen-Shot-2021-12-16-at-8-53-22-am

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:13am

indo-dreaming, I just wanted to clarify something, for the record.

indo-dreaming wrote:

... the suggestion Covid didnt start in China and started in the USA...

I think I see where you got this from. My sentence here was ambiguous:

gsco wrote:

this one is just very heavily scrutinised because it did in fact start in China, all started by the Trump administration as part of its war on China

What I meant was given covid started in China, it was in Trump's interest to start giving it a lot of attention and scrutiny since it tied in nicely with his war on China. I didn't mean that I thought Trump and the US started/created covid and planted it in China, or that it started in the US, etc...that indeed would be a well out there conspiracy theory.

On a personal level, I recall you mentioning that you lived on the Coast and used to surf the pocket and Caloundra way a lot. My family lived over the Kawana side since the late 80s. I'd say it's a certainty that we've sat shoulder-to-shoulder with each other in the surf and would know each other at least by face. Absolutely no animosity from me to you.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 10:19am

Cockee…

Yellow China policy is not OK with me at all ;)
Stop acting like a cockee head and go read what I posted again…

Try understand the meaning of how I encourage anyone not to take sides - and be careful of allowing yourself to get emotionally invested in something you have no idea about - don’t become blindly passionate about either side of the shit show ;)

Really. You might be wrong about your take on it all ;) And that may be the only REAL certainty here for you ;)
Otherwise… please let us know how you have the answers or solutions - making silly racist remarks and pretending you are being funny shows your brain cell count that’s for sure ;)

In the meantime, it’s up to you to expand your true understanding of things. Only exploring and aligning yourself from a bias perspective and not having any direct experience of Chinese culture or Chinese people will just make your ignorance grow further ;)

Surely there is more to learn from all of this… it’s not an us versus them equation.
That only adds to the drama and creates opportunities to remain fixed in a position that will more than likely only help inflame things further…

No ones been in my ear - it’s getting clearer you are still listening to the advice of your extended friends and family…

You know… the Bo Gans ;);)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 6:15pm
gsco wrote:

indo-dreaming, I just wanted to clarify something, for the record.

indo-dreaming wrote:

... the suggestion Covid didnt start in China and started in the USA...

I think I see where you got this from. My sentence here was ambiguous:

gsco wrote:

this one is just very heavily scrutinised because it did in fact start in China, all started by the Trump administration as part of its war on China

What I meant was given covid started in China, it was in Trump's interest to start giving it a lot of attention and scrutiny since it tied in nicely with his war on China. I didn't mean that I thought Trump and the US started/created covid and planted it in China, or that it started in the US, etc...that indeed would be a well out there conspiracy theory.

On a personal level, I recall you mentioning that you lived on the Coast and used to surf the pocket and Caloundra way a lot. My family lived over the Kawana side since the late 80s. I'd say it's a certainty that we've sat shoulder-to-shoulder with each other in the surf and would know each other at least by face. Absolutely no animosity from me to you.

No worries, read into your comments wrong.

Yeah 100% sometimes peoples comments including your take on China frustrates me, and occasionally i will post an emotion reaction, but it's not personal i don't judge people on their views, more on how they treat others.

so agree with this

etarip wrote:

Hey gcso, I don’t agree with all of your points of view and perspectives but I appreciate them being on here. +1 on the ‘don’t take it all too seriously’ as well.

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:59pm

Thanks for the dressing down JF - I am truly humbled by your efforts to re-educate me. BTW You would fit right in as a CCP member ie. someone who is so sure they are enlightened whilst the rest of us are incapable of independent thought.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 11:56pm

Any efforts to educate yourself in the first place obviously haven’t worked…

I’m making no effort to re-educate you or anybody. Your ability to maybe consider other viewpoints, let alone be open to suggestions or even offer any ideas of your own are absent so far ;)

There is still time to sign up to become a nuclear submarine captain though.
Go Captain Cockee!

Your input continues to be a constant display that is obviously incapable of independent thought ;)

No wonder you would fail any imaginary re-education classes!
Or is it just that you would be too busy hangin out with your strayan friends and doin cool stuff like getting on it and shitting ya pants at maccas ;)

Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Tuesday, 21 Dec 2021 at 9:09am

Jelly bean brain your taunts are like snowflakes on a summer's day. Merry Xmas to you.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 12:39pm

Took the aircraft carrier out for an earlyish this am . North-easterly pushing up a bit of wind swell at the spot , close on high tide. Sets only really breaking out the back- nasty shorey smashing into base of a metre high sand cliff. - mental note to self not to exit there. Coming in got a left all the way in thanks to the carriers volume. Clean forgot exit plan and ended up exactly where I didn't want to be, trapped between the shore break and the cliff as the 2 waves behind me in the set unloaded. Rolling round , trying to remove my leggy from my neck and avoid being harpooned by the aircraft carrier, heard a voice "You OK cobber?" I was , said thanks and felt grateful for where I live and my countrymen.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 12:42pm

Haha, you surfed the same place as me by the sounds of things.
I wasn’t on an aircraft carrier so the shorey was a little easier to negotiate.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Feb 2022 at 2:40pm

Perhaps someone can confirm my maths on this , but I do believe that if Albanese gets in he will be the 7th Prime Minister in a row who is committed to the Big Australia neoliberal Ponzi.

Sound about right?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:35am
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 8:23am

Was up at Airlie last week. 3 separate locals told us Daydream has gone to shit since Vaughn sold to the new Chinese owners. Seems they don’t understand or respect the laws that apply. They only own to the high tide mark. Not the beach and certainly not the fringing reef.
Same issue at Keswick Island

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 2:07pm

Australia the lucky country… selling gas overseas from projects that pay minimal royalties to the government. That’s ‘our’ resource being sold at a profit for the business and detriment to local consumers.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-02-03/wa-gas-price-rise-and-suppl...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:05pm
seeds wrote:

Was up at Airlie last week. 3 separate locals told us Daydream has gone to shit since Vaughn sold to the new Chinese owners. Seems they don’t understand or respect the laws that apply. They only own to the high tide mark. Not the beach and certainly not the fringing reef.

every single person in the area with a boat should be going for daily low tide lunches on the sand until mr. wong learns and appreciates some australian law and culture

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:09pm

Enormous mea culpa:

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2022/02/actu-dont-return-to-mass-immigr...

Last time I saw the opinions from this institution they were focused on diversity - check the tweet! Are we in an alternate dimension, with the union talking up workers' conditions and rights?!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 3:59pm

If unions keep talking like that, they may actually get some new members for the first time in decades.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 5:44pm

Nope. The title of the article is misleading. Sally McManus has not uttered a single word about mass immigration. She just wants permanent instead of temporary human coolie importation. She’s still a Big Australia / Anti Australian working class shill.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:23pm
sypkan wrote:
seeds wrote:

every single person in the area with a boat should be going for daily low tide lunches on the sand until mr. wong learns and appreciates some australian law and culture

Too many other places to boat to in the vicinity without a person to be seen I guess. Would be good to see though. Invite the media.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:26pm

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 3 Feb 2022 at 7:24pm
Blowin wrote:

Nope. The title of the article is misleading. Sally McManus has not uttered a single word about mass immigration. She just wants permanent instead of temporary human coolie importation. She’s still a Big Australia / Anti Australian working class shill.

Hey Swellnet team,
If blowin continues to use the racist term "coolie", perhaps it's time you blokes told to him to pull his racist head in. Do you blokes want your site to have openly racist crap published on it on a regular basis?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 6:05am

Coolie isn’t racist. It’s a term used to describe poorly, underpaid or unpaid exploited labour which has been imported into the country for that purpose. It seems you have greater opposition to the nomenclature and the public becoming aware of the practice, than you do of the practice itself. Would you rather it was called black birding or slavery ( as shown below by the ABC)?

It’s an ugly look when you try to police language because it may cast an accurate light on an inhumane situation. It tells me that you have vested interests in maintaining the flow of coolie labour into Australia. As the tourism industry you are heavily involved in, has shown it’s deep interest in the perpetuation of coolie labour , I’m not surprised by your attempts to hide the issue.

Not surprised but extremely disgusted.

From the ABC::

“Australia’s seasonal worker schemes are being likened to modern slavery, with a group of Pacific workers in Queensland’s Bundaberg region speaking out against their pay and living conditions.

The 18 workers, who are employed by several labour hire firms, met with a lawyer in Bundaberg to discuss their grievances.

“We’ve been involved in other cases of exploited workers, but I’ve seen nothing quite as bad as what’s happening at the moment,” said lawyer Stuart Levitt.

“It’s so widespread. It’s so heartless”…

Willie* came to Australia under the Seasonal Worker Program (SWP) in January last year to make money and support his five children in Vanuatu…

“Sometimes, you only end up with $200. How can you survive with that,” he said.

“When I send the money home, I haven’t got none”…

Treated like ‘slaves’
Mr Levitt said he had received a report of one Bundaberg employer issuing fines of $500 for drinking alcohol outside of work hours.

“They’re threatened with fines if they consume alcohol. They’re banned from having any sexual relationships with people,” he said…

“These people are adults, some are 30 or 40 years old, and their lives are basically treated as if they are slaves in our land”…

Mr Levitt believes there are grounds for a class action against some of Australia’s biggest labour hire firms.

“There are some exceptions to the rule. Perhaps 10 or 20 per cent of labour hire firms or employers are doing the right thing,” he said.

“But overwhelmingly, they’re being exploited, and they’re being exploited right across Australia.”

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 4 Feb 2022 at 7:04am

The world has been here before …..many times.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 10 Feb 2022 at 5:24pm

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/national-digital-id-plan-sparks-austra...

Looks like the above is handled by the same bloke who handled Robodebt. Totally trustworthy individual.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 6:28am

The ALP / LNP and Greens are so concerned that covid had temporarily slowed the Big Australia Mass Immigration Ponzi Scheme that they’ve all decided to firehose humans into Australia at an increased rate to the incredibly destructive pre-covid rate.

Sure , Australia will be transformed into a barren wasteland as far as native species is concerned but think of the different accents you’ll hear around the Westfields food court…..that’s the only diversity that matters right?

If you’ve got kids, take them to see a wild koala ASAP before they go the way of the Thylacine.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/koalas-officially-an-endangered-...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 9:19am

Meh.

You've seen one koala you've seem em all.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 9:49am

As teenagers we could sit on our deck and look out across the green belt that our house backed on to and often see koalas sleeping in the eucalypts. My mum said they haven't seen a koala now for 20 years. It's sad I reckon.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 9:54am

I dunno Zen.

Seems to me that in the choice between mass importing foreigners to artificially grow Australia’s population and preserving our unique animal species, you’re choosing the koalas.

Sounds a bit racist , mate.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 11:18am

Recently I wrote that little story about my BBQ and how the bricks that made that were fired within coo-ee of my family home. When I was still going to school the end of our street was a pineapple farm and within a few hundred metres there was a dairy farm and also heaps and heaps of bushland. That's all gone now and is sadly townhouses and McMansions as far as the eye can see. The greenbelt and creek are still there plus a fair bit of parkland but when I go home it amazes me just how much our bucolic little area is just now the 'burbs.

Anyway, that's progress I guess.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Feb 2022 at 12:33pm

Some say that’s progress

I say that’s cruel

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Feb 2022 at 6:46pm
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Feb 2022 at 6:58pm

tim going for it

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Feb 2022 at 7:45pm

limp wrist does your daddy know?

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 11:51am

Confronting State Capture by the Australian Democracy Network.
I haven't read this in full yet but its makes for some good reading so far. Co-authored by Scott Ludlum so many will pan it. mostly targets the defence and fossil fuel cronyism:

“Of the 38 current and former politicians with employment links to the fossil fuel industry, 20 are or were Liberal politicians, 13 were Labor politicians, and five are or were National politicians”.

heres a covid one purely for clickbait:

"In return, according to 350 Australia, the gas industry has been offered between $1.4 and $2 billion in
new public money from the Morrison Government’s ‘gas-led recovery’ from the pandemic, with even
more foreshadowed for new pipelines across the country."
https://350.org.au/exposing-the-covid-19-commission/

and remember this pearler from Tony Abbbott on Ian Macfarlane who went to on be CEO of the Queensland Resources Council. I remember vomiting in my mouth at the time

“This was the job-destroying, investment-killing tax which did not raise any revenue. It was a magnificent achievement by the member for Groom in his time as minister reborn, as it were. I hope this sector will acknowledge and demonstrate their gratitude to him in his years of retirement from this place.”

https://australiandemocracy.org.au/statecapture

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Feb 2022 at 8:11pm

And this is why I no longer subscribe to these bastards. Too many lies.

Friendly Jordies is approaching living legend status