Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 12:56pm

AndyM - re it not getting any better, I think you might be right, when considering now the 'medical cannabis' availability. I've recently been looking into it, and so much of what is available is extremely potent THC % and often very low CBD, and specifically bred to reduce that, which is bad in my opinion. Couple that with it being indoor hydro and chemical fertiliser grown stuff, and it is concerning.

to me it just seems some of those 'medical' strains that are available more resemble the street recreational stuff. And very expensive

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:16pm

You wonder if it's the chicken or the egg but the kids who started smoking young, like 12/13, were fucked by the time they were out of their teens.
Hard boiled cooked.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:43pm
freeride76 wrote:

Xanax is a tranquiliser though.

Surely crew aren't committing crimes on that?

very slowly

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:43pm
freeride76 wrote:

Benzodiazepines are notoriously hard to detox from. I've had a bad enough time after overindulging on Valium for a semi-extended period. Withdrawal will make you do some pretty cooked shit.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm

I've only ever had one, which my mate gave me on a flight home from the Mentawais.

Didn't feel anything right away but felt like I was in a fog for the next week.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm

Xanax, (alprozolam), initially can cause dizziness, lack of concern, sleepiness. A bit like Tequila.
But after about 4 hours it can cause increased anxiety, paranoia, tension and anger.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:56pm

The demonisation of cannabis is not warranted just because a minority of users abuse it. In my experiences, the people who have had mental health issues related to cannabis use are the ones who smoke all day everyday, and possibly have a predisposition to mental illness. Meanwhile, most people who use it in moderation have no issues.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 1:58pm
Hiccups wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Benzodiazepines are notoriously hard to detox from. I've had a bad enough time after overindulging on Valium for a semi-extended period. Withdrawal will make you do some pretty cooked shit.

Yep, had a brief fling with benzos, was really surprised how much it got its hooks in.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 2:46pm

yeh, xanax etc. ...its almost a mandatory prescription now for anyone going through a break up or anything remotely challenging...

I think its good mental health has been destigmatised, but i think we've gone too much the other way now, where the doc is pretty loose with the script pad - especially considering recent research overturning decades of belief depression is just a chemical imbalance

I read not long ago, somethimg like 30% of australian women were on anti's. not sure if that still holds, or if its a certain age bracket, but that is an alarming number either way

I was actually more referring to pills and meth etc., pretty widespread use amongst the younguns ...and those not so young!

combined with the abundance of prescription pills available to ease the comedown - and high grade weed - its a smorgasboard of ups and downs...

and a culture of a little remedy for any situation... be it 'medical' or not...

making a night at the pub basically the same price as a drug fuelled rave party has got to be one of the biggest own goals ever from government

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 2:54pm
sypkan wrote:

yeh, xanax etc. ...its almost a mandatory prescription now for anyone going through a break up or anything remotely challenging...

Yeah, nah. Ten years ago maybe it was reasonably easy to get a prescription, but it's much more controlled now. Even a lot of GP's are loathe to prescribe Diazepane (Valium) unless you have history with said doctor.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 3:24pm
sypkan wrote:

I think its good mental health has been destigmatised, but i think we've gone too much the other way now, where the doc is pretty loose with the script pad - especially considering recent research overturning decades of belief depression is just a chemical imbalance

I read not long ago, somethimg like 30% of australian women were on anti's. not sure if that still holds, or if its a certain age bracket, but that is an alarming number either way

I was actually more referring to pills and meth etc., pretty widespread use amongst the younguns ...and those not so young!

combined with the abundance of prescription pills available to ease the comedown - and high grade weed - its a smorgasboard of ups and downs...

and a culture of a little remedy for any situation... be it 'medical' or not...

making a night at the pub basically the same price as a drug fuelled rave party has got to be one of the biggest own goals ever from government

Couple of schooners at a pub, $24.
Wonder to what extent the corporatisation of pubs is responsible for that.
ALE Property Group owns 78.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 21 Oct 2022 at 4:41pm

Pharmaceuticals aside, most of the younger crew I know don't smoke pot or only do it occasionally. These same people don't mind anything that comes in pill or powdered form though.
Most also don't drink beer but hammer the heavier stuff, especially when they binge drink. And that's usually after a day on the Red Bulls and Monster drinks. No wonder some of these younger blokes are so wound up these days.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 5:04pm
sypkan wrote:

Was stunned to find out recently how many I know are on this kind of thing. Question: does anyone have non-influenced emotions any more?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 5:15pm

The fat lady has sung , not sure about the lady bit https://au.sports.yahoo.com/netball-2022-gina-rinehart-bombshell-move-am...

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 5:39pm
Supafreak wrote:

The fat lady has sung , not sure about the lady bit https://au.sports.yahoo.com/netball-2022-gina-rinehart-bombshell-move-am...

Go woke, go broke…maybe the girls need to get jobs now and give up netball….when privileged crybabies get their way.

Rinehart did the right thing.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 5:50pm

Have courage to imagine a world where all sport returns to amateur status, as the Olympics intended.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 5:56pm

I doubt that VJ…athletes will only stand up when their lifestyles and salaries are not at risk…I doubt many have the actual balls to carry through if it comes down to losing everything for their views.

Most will stfu and accept the money. The netball girls will regret what has happened and other athletes won’t be so fast to speak up.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm
Roadkill wrote:

I doubt that VJ…athletes will only stand up when their lifestyles and salaries are not at risk…I doubt many have the actual balls to carry through if it comes down to losing everything for their views.

Most will stfu and accept the money. The netball girls will regret what has happened and other athletes won’t be so fast to speak up.

Not everyone is like you roadkill. People stand up for their right and put the dollar second.

It’s called integrity.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 6:02pm

I was kind of taking the piss, grew up in a world where young athletes were gods who could get away with anything and then the local radio station ran triathletes on a run-swim-run that the stars had used to avoid an RBT... etc etc

would be much nicer if it were amateur and humble again

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 6:05pm
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

Not everyone is like you roadkill. People stand up for their right and put the dollar second.

It’s called integrity.

Like when you got your kids vaccinated…so you could get family tax benefit A?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 6:24pm

Good luck to the girls and hopefully a renewable energy company gets behind them and other sports . There’s plenty of new money coming in the near future.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 22 Oct 2022 at 7:08pm

Gina is a national hero ? Really ? So this sponsorship wasn’t a business deal it was just good old GR helping out Aussies ? Fark me , she’d eat her own children if she could get close enough .

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 9:36am
Roadkill wrote:

Such crap you speak, I’ll hand you a tissue to wipe away the dribble thats oozing out of the corner of your mouth onto your gold plated life.
People of the world are slowly turning away from individuals and or companies of the ilk of GR, she’s just another version of Twiggy Forrest. Environmental and cultural ‘smiling assassins’ purporting to be the saviours of the world and the environment, dig deeper (excuse the pun) and you’ll find their motives are purely centred around a continuum of what they already do and the back door deals (mostly with governments) going on to make it happen. We are no fools, well, some are RK.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 9:41am
overthefalls wrote:

The demonisation of cannabis is not warranted just because a minority of users abuse it. In my experiences, the people who have had mental health issues related to cannabis use are the ones who smoke all day everyday, and possibly have a predisposition to mental illness. Meanwhile, most people who use it in moderation have no issues.

OTF Well said.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 10:50am
AlfredWallace wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

Such crap you speak, I’ll hand you a tissue to wipe away the dribble thats oozing out of the corner of your mouth onto your gold plated life.
People of the world are slowly turning away from individuals and or companies of the ilk of GR, she’s just another version of Twiggy Forrest. Environmental and cultural ‘smiling assassins’ purporting to be the saviours of the world and the environment, dig deeper (excuse the pun) and you’ll find their motives are purely centred around a continuum of what they already do and the back door deals (mostly with governments) going on to make it happen. We are no fools, well, some are RK.

AlfredWokeLots speaking for the athletes are you?. Dream on, most of the netball girls are walking it back already and the finger pointing will start soon. The pay rise they wanted is gone with Gina’s sponsorship.
Feel free to donate to them or attend a game…sitting on your arse being woke and virtue signalling does not pay the bills.

Criticising GR and Twiggy just shows you to be a jealous stupid little man.

Alana_a's picture
Alana_a's picture
Alana_a Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 12:11pm

Why stop there diamonds? Why not go one further and cancel the name of your team too? Diamonds don’t grow on trees. Oh that’s right.. diamonds are a girls best friend.

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 12:24pm

For those embracing Wokeness-
Look how much your own petty "mindfullness" can negatively impact on others.
Be prepared to get bent over-
Most of us couldn't give a damn about you.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 3:50pm

Already flooding in Byron

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 3:50pm

"Criticising GR and Twiggy just shows you to be a jealous stupid little man"
We are talking about the same Gina Reinhardt who wants to bring in cheap offshore labour so she can rip resources out of the ground for less in order to make more money selling it to the Chinese? The same Gina who is only wealthy because she inherited but who is being sued by her own children so they can access their inheritance?
A real national treasure for sure.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 4:04pm

going back to the all modified weed above, is it still possible to get Organic Heirloom weed seeds? I'll have to ring Diggers Club haha.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 4:17pm
blackers wrote:

We are talking about the same Gina Reinhardt who wants to bring in cheap offshore labour so she can rip resources out of the ground for less in order to make more money selling it to the Chinese? The same Gina who is only wealthy because she inherited but who is being sued by her own children so they can access their inheritance?
A real national treasure for sure.

I always find it funny that those that live in Aus and get all the benefits that come with being a citizen…. criticise others who contribute to our prosperity.

How she got her money is relevant only to jealous little people….there is a real labour shortage in AUS right now in case you failed to grasp this.

Feel free to tell me how you would fix this labour problem?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 5:01pm
Roadkill][quote=blackers wrote:

I always find it funny that those that live in Aus and get all the benefits that come with being a citizen…. criticise others who contribute to our prosperity.

How she got her money is relevant only to jealous little people….there is a real labour shortage in AUS right now in case you failed to grasp this.

Feel free to tell me how you would fix this labour problem?

I am not jealous of her, I feel sorry for her as her own kids hate her.

She was advocating for imported labour well before the current labour shortage, it was all about reducing costs, and improving profits.

I've got no issue with people who add to the wealth of the country at the same time as making themselves wealthy, but I do have a problem with people who want to rip the nation off in self-interest. She was amongst the most vocal when the Gillard government tried to introduce the mineral resources rent tax, you know, adding to the common wealth.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm

Hancock owns World Surf Reserves at Gold Coast / Manly / Torquay + other beaches.

$8,000 / 10 days for Gina's 20 WSR Beach Shacks + Free Govt/Council/AIS Ads on all & Everything.
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/vb-8-sc...
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/vb-2-sc...

Pretty sure everyman & dog in our city contributes much more & pays more than Gina's WSR timeshare.

Current Oz Sponsor Fees
$5m / year Stadium Naming rights
$40m 2032 Oz Olympic Broadcast Rights
$7.5b 2032 Qld Olympics ( No Olympic Stadium Sponsorships Permitted)

So! Wot to do?
$10m/year Hancock Prospecting Olympic deal covers 42 sports
Buys Ads in every Municipal Govt built Stadium / Lake / Pool / Court & secured Beaches & Ski Slopes
It also brands everything filmed inside & out 2032 Olympic Stadium & Oz / Recreational sports venues.
Clearly everything is up for grabs...Tits / Bums / Kids...Whatever Gina can get her hands on.

Here's how it works...Oz spends 100's of $Billions over Decades building Venues & securing beaches.
Then Govts lease all hard won recreational locations including the Kids to Gina for $10m / year.

See: Gina Brands Gold Coast Surf Reserve without Surfing even being a 2032 Olympic Sport.
Yes! WSR's could object & maybe should...but they won't now, will they...Huh!

Sounds unfair, but mining Magnates want & take everything & get everything for next to nothing.
10 years exclusive Rights to banner our Complete Aussie Landscape with Hancock Prospecting Ads...
Yes! Every Beach > Lake > Inside out of our Local Pools > Every town Gym Hall & all our Tits'n'arses
Considered as the largest cheapest Ad campaign on Earth...so big it can be seen from Gina's Asteroid.

Our Pool Ads
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/HPPL-Sw...
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/HPPL-sy...
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/IMG_285...
https://www.uwawestcoast.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/IMG_3484.jpg
Extra Gina Ads to block any remaining Pool entry & rescue attempts...more more more! Yummy!
https://www.qut.edu.au/news/news-image?image=152149.jpg
More Beach Ads.
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/1539224...
Our Lake Ads + self naming Olympic Gina vessels
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Picture...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ch5vYu8VIAUzj-j?format=jpg&name=large
Our Gym Ads
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeAXstPWAAAPzbw?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
Our Massage Parlour Ads...our Wot! Relax...Nuthin' Suss!
https://cdn.revolutionise.com.au/news/bezdozmfhsm7rsy2.jpg
https://content.olympics.com.au/public/2021-03/GettyImages-1306596920.jpg
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/DSC_381...
Our Kids...Nice Touch Gina...real Cute!
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Nationa...
Whole of Oz will soon be Gina flavoured
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/IMG_146...
Olympic Postcard to Gina from Oz Olympians on Chinese Ski Fields...Luv you forever Kiss Kiss...
https://www.royhill.com.au/special-welcome-message-to-mrs-gina-rinehart-...

So! Wotz with Oz Tits'n'Bum Netball Deal...
$3.75m/yr kits out 450 clubs in Hancock Merch...$23/day Ad Campaign to own each Town...Thanx Gina!
Each community takes decades to build Clubs then overnight Gina owns them ... we all cool with that!
Gina's Roy Hill branding of Kidz Court / Hoop / Bibs..leaves kidz no doubt as to who owns their parents.
https://www.hancockprospecting.com.au/fever-secures-new-principal-partne...

Newspapers go about brainwashing us that Gina was hard done by?
Wotz so wrong with Govts & Councils gifting our Children's playgrounds to Gina!

Headline: "Woke's Cancel Culture Crime of The Century!"

Is there any truth to this exaggeration?
Well oddly yes! Kinda like both sides are to blame....
eg: Oz Cricket Capt coughs up Alinta but is happy to play Night Cricket Overseas- (A big Sneeze!)
Scoffs down $1m megatonnes of Carbon/Min...so Oz is intently listening to the Captain's VIP protest!

So this is how Gina bought her Order of Australia...Yes! Very charitable she is...
Gina : "Give me yer 2032 Olympics + Qld must cut red Tape + Lower the Rich People's Tax rate...NOW!"
Newscorp : "Deal of the Century!"

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 6:22pm

Nice one TBB. Keep up the stirling work.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 6:39pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 8:44pm

Ive never really cared either way for Gina or had an opinion on her, but i have to say she has handled this latest drama perfectly.

Not only pulling the sponsorship fairly quickly but pulling it even after they agreed to wear the uniform with logo on it, also her statements to media were right on point, you don't reward people or organisations that are ungrateful especially after they damage your brand.

Then last night her company donated one million to some Telethon in WA for sick kids, nice way to end things and sends a clear message that there is plenty of people and organisations that appreciate sponsorship and donations.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 23 Oct 2022 at 10:56pm

Did some one say Hancock.

"The family legacy Gina Rinehart would like to forget"

https://www.afr.com/companies/mining/the-family-legacy-gina-rinehart-wou...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 10:50am
Supafreak wrote:

Good luck to the girls and hopefully a renewable energy company gets behind them and other sports . There’s plenty of new money coming in the near future.

Ironically, I read somewhere that they are now seeking funding from gambling companies. How is gambling better, no one seems to ever object to gambling sponsorships in sports?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 11:31am

Yeah, I don't know.

I don't think it's a contentious statement to say that people should confront the internal contradictions of their work. You could either change jobs - if, say, you're a butcher that becomes a vegetarian - or speak to your employer about what makes you uncomfortable. If you're not living a life true to yourself, your own moral code, then that's the way of bitterness and despair.

Surely can't be that hard to sympathise with? Train your whole life to make the national team only for the uniform to bear the reminder of a dark past.

Just a shitty situation.

I guess part of being professional is to take the money and shut up, but this is more complex than Sally Fitz spruiking sheds.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 12:00pm

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 1:34pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 3:53pm

I never know how to take these Betoota advocate thing satire but rarely funny or clever.

Either way the above is complete tripe, the whole mindset of judging people based on what their ancestors or other family members have done or said be it a father or brother or some great great long gone grandparents or even judging people based purely on the same ethnicity or even skin colour (like the idea of white guilt)

Is just complete and utter craziness and a completely fucked up backwards mindset, someone like Gina shouldn't even have to come out and denounce comments made by her father be it if he was still alive or in this case from almost 40 years ago, it's just common sense that she doesn't share those views unless she says she does, by even suggesting she should denounce the comment you are painting her as guilty of something that has nothing to do with her.

It's like if your father was a pedophile, nobody sane is going too assumed you are also a pedophile or expect you to come out and denounce pedophilia.

Common sense dictates you judge someone on what they themselves say or do and thats it, but even then you need to understand people change just because they said something in the past doesn't mean they still stand by those words, that's the only time people need to clear things up or denounce things when its something they themselves have said or done in the past, thats it very simple its not rocket science, its plain common sense, the problem is common sense just aint that common these days.

Anyway as far as I've read she is also a major funder multi million dollars to indigenous student programs, so her actions speak loud enough to say she doesn't share her fathers views.

BTW. She also paid 2.7 Billion in taxes last year, apparently that's 5% of Australia's overall tax revenue.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 4:02pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Is just complete and utter craziness and a completely fucked up backwards mindset, someone like Gina shouldn't even have to come out and denounce comments made by her father be it if he was still alive or in this case from almost 40 years ago, it's just common sense that she doesn't share those views unless she says she does, by even suggesting she should denounce the comment you are painting her as guilty of something that has nothing to do with her.

I agree with you on this one indo

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 7:41pm

Lang Hancock left half his wealth to his grandchildren. She was pretty quick denouncing that.

views from the ... Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 9:35pm

Never bite the hand that feeds you

Theres no i's in team but theres two i's in idiots

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 24 Oct 2022 at 9:44pm

The Aussie cricket boys will be rethinking their woke public mutterings.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 25 Oct 2022 at 6:48am
Supafreak wrote:

Can you guess what this is ? https://www.memedroid.com/memes/detail/3589484

Forgot to compliment you on this Supa, v funny. Hope you guys are still keeping dry feet.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 25 Oct 2022 at 11:31am

Its totally unremarkable that Rinehart has withdrawn her sponsorship, her money after all .... and as the daughter of Lang Hancock, her DNA is hard-wired not to take a backward step in getting what she wants, Further, she is a known major financial backer of the IPA and therefore one of their current patsies / darling children, Jacinta Price, so again no surprises where Rinehart would land on any criticism of her father's infamous gruffness.

Of course, in an ideal world respectfully acknowledging the known past deeds / words of our forefathers / mothers where they are seen as hurtful (or more) in today's world would be seen as a positive in the emerging national truth telling process, helpful to reconciliation and healing. Again, decisions like that are personal and can only be willingly made after much reflection and realistically where Rinehart sits politically could not be reasonably be expected of her.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 25 Oct 2022 at 12:39pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 25 Oct 2022 at 2:25pm

Good to see a bit of common sense from areas of the indigenous community on the issue, this from the National Indigenous Times.

"When it comes to Gina Rinehart, actions speak louder than words

Lately there have been a lot of headlines about Mrs Gina Rinehart, Hancock Prospecting and the $15 million sponsorship of Netball Australia’s Diamonds Team.

The subsequent hypocritical negativity from critics against Hancock Prospecting being a sponsor is puzzling to say the least.

Especially in light of the parlous state of Netball Australia’s finances and the prudent decision by its management and board to take advantage of a no strings attached sponsorship from Hancock Prospecting that may end up saving the sport as a whole.

A sport that is played by millions of Australians on a regular basis.

Let’s hope that these critics do not turn their hypocritical glare on Indigenous education.

There are a number of Indigenous charities doing their absolute best to ensure that Indigenous students have the best possible chance of succeeding and making a better life for themselves, their families and the wider community.

Madalah Ltd is one of those Indigenous Children’s Charities.

Madalah provides scholarships and holistic support to Indigenous West Australian Secondary and Tertiary Indigenous students to attend the best possible education institutions until they have graduated and secured employment for a pathway to a better future.

Madalah has a 95 per cent success rate and has won a host of awards for the work it is doing.

With 416 Indigenous students in 2022, soon to be 461, it is undeniably making significant inroads into Closing the Gap.

In spite of all these achievements, Madalah is chronically underfunded, due in part to the Western Australian Government continually refusing to provide any funding which is ironic given they have reaped a record $11 billion budget surplus in the last two years due in no small part to the mining industry.

If it wasn’t for the Federal Government providing some funding as a result of decisions made by the former Federal Minister for Indigenous Affairs Nigel Scullion and current Minister Linda Burney, the future of Madalah and the exceptional service and support it delivers would have been bleak at best.

It was because of these reasons, the Board of Madalah made an unprecedented and absolutely necessary decision to approach WA Industry about providing ongoing funding in a desperate bid to secure as many Indigenous scholarships for prospective students as it possibly could.

The Madalah Board’s decision ended up being correct because when it comes to supporting Indigenous education In Western Australia, it is Industry that has stepped up to the plate to address the widening funding shortfall.

Madalah was particularly grateful when at the instigation of Mrs Rinehart, the Roy Hill Community Foundation developed the Hanrine Futures Program and approached Madalah to partner with them in supporting Indigenous kids to secure scholarships.

The Roy Hill Community Foundation quickly committed to a multi-year, multi-million-dollar funding arrangement to ensure that many Indigenous kids could now have the opportunity they so desperately needed.

The Roy Hill Community Foundation’s Hanrine Futures Program funded by the Hancock Group of companies will provide long-term scholarships as well as training, work experience and internships through to employment.

Did Madalah agonise over partnering with Mrs Rinehart and her companies, absolutely not.

Many of the students who were provided scholarships are Traditional Owners of land on which mining activities are taking place and it is their families and communities urging the students to take advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime.

Madalah is proud to say that Mrs Gina Rinehart’s companies are among Madalah’s most important sponsors and supporters.

This also applies to all of Madalah’s Corporate partners who are desperately keen to see Traditional Owners and Indigenous people do well as a whole.

This is why both the direct benefits like royalties and indirect benefits such as contracting and employment arising from mining agreements are making a profound positive difference to thousands of Indigenous families throughout Australia.

Madalah is not going to throw Indigenous children’s futures away because of criticism of our sponsors by individuals or entities that have their own agendas.

Madalah does not have the luxury of callously disregarding the hopes and dreams of young Indigenous Australians.

That outcome is completely unacceptable.

There has been much criticism of Mrs Rinehart because Lang Hancock was her father.

Since when do we judge someone because of who their parents are or were or what they said?

What people perceive about someone is often the exact opposite of who that person actually is.

In spite of the negative headlines, Madalah ‘s experience has been that Mrs Rinehart is a kind and generous person who genuinely cares about Madalah and its Indigenous students.

Mrs Rinehart should be applauded for her generous sponsorship of Netball Australia, Madalah and a host of other very worthy causes that desperately need financial support which she supports without fanfare.

While others have criticised her from the sidelines, she does deeds with a good heart.

Actions always speak louder than words.

Clinton Wolf is the managing director of National Indigenous Times and non-executive director of Madalah"