blowfly's picture
blowfly started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 9:40am

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 13 Jan 2022 at 4:06pm

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 13 Jan 2022 at 6:05pm

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-climate-weather-marine-heatw.... Marine heatwave sends NSW ocean temperatures soaring to levels not seen in decades

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 14 Jan 2022 at 5:45am
The real Donald Trump's picture
The real Donald... Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 9:56am

every now and then even their ABC goes off script...

NB the date...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-06/rare-weather-event-over-antarctic...

The real Donald... Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 10:06am

Meanwhile right under everyone's noses...

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2004-019

https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/generation/cloud-seeding/

Co-incidence the areas hardest hit by black summer fires were in the rain shadow of Australia's geoengineering program ??

But you won't hear about this on their ABC.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 10:12am

As well as the SSW, there was cold water in Indo and northern WA (Indian Ocean Dipole)which also reduces rainfall particularly along the east coast. There was one other weather event at the same time, which I cant remember exactly what that was. This also affected normal weather patterns.
Was a triple whammy of weather events which lead to extreme dryness. Hence the devastating bush fires.
I was in Indo that winter and the water was really cold. Estimated at about 19 degrees. Usually 28.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 5:43pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 5:46pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm
The real Donald Trump wrote:

every now and then even their ABC goes off script...

NB the date...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-06/rare-weather-event-over-antarctic...

We discussed that one at length here on SN, and what I'd give for that synoptic now - from memory cooler temps and winds out of the west with a great run of groundswell you'd expect in May - it was excellent.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 9:01pm

China thread is in Political threads that doesn't show up on front page, so will put this here instead:

Video from October last year but this is an excellent video on how China's Australia coal ban backfired big time.

It's done by a non Australian so no political slant, but a real interesting perspective

BTW. i believe China ended up covering it's arse a bit after this video by stepping up its own coal production, but Indonesia had a domestic shortage of coal of late so have frozen coal exports while they secure their own supply, so must also be hurting China. (after us Indo are Chinas biggest supplier of coal)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 29 Jan 2022 at 10:22pm

That was absolutely excellent. A real eye opener. Those few sentences Scomo said turned out to be like David taking down Goliath. He's getting heaps of flak at the moment, but that is political power and power played. Wow.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 6:18am

Classic case of shooting oneself in the foot.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 8:56am

Just another youtoobing, highfalutin bullshiter, that’s when his not being a real estate and investment spiv, what a guy

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 9:57am
GuySmiley wrote:

Just another youtoobing, highfalutin bullshiter, that’s when his not being a real estate and investment spiv, what a guy

(Scomo) Just another fuckwit we had to have. Four years of utter tripe, bullshit and avoidance. Pathetic.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 10:15am
GuySmiley wrote:

You are such a cock head everything is about politics with you the video is completely un bias and non political, its purely an interesting observation of cause and effect by I'm guessing an American.

And let's be real Scomo or nobody else wouldn't have had any idea that would be the effect, nobody would even think such a bland comment's would even see China ban our Coal imports to China.

But sometimes you get lucky, not for just us but for the world really.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 11:14am

actually info if you hadn’t been so bedazzled by the pretty video and looked into the charlatan behind it before posting it you would already know he is Canadian. Look in the mirror info before calling anyone a cockhead, bahahahaha

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 11:46am
GuySmiley wrote:

actually info if you hadn’t been so bedazzled by the pretty video and looked into the charlatan behind it before posting it you would already know he is Canadian. Look in the mirror info before calling anyone a cockhead, bahahahaha

Canadian, Seppo whatever it's irrelevant the point is it's not an Aussie published video with a left or right bias or any political agenda just an interesting video and observation, why not just take it for what is is???

But for you it always needs to be political like you are in some war, and because the video kinda has a positive slant in favour of Scomo purely by luck, you are like oh "Just another youtoobing, highfalutin bullshiter"

If you are going to make such statements at least back your comments up with why he is full of shit????

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 1:10pm

Stop digging yourself deeper info, sit up straight and pay attention, info remove that crayon from your nose immediately, good, now pay attention .... (who would be a teacher at San Remo primary?).

Jack Capple the drifter behind your video post self describes himself as a "e-commence, real estate, youtuber and entrepreneur". How does that remotely qualify him to comment on anything to do with the complexities of international trade, coal, the Chinese economy or anything else between here and the black stump (rhetorical question).

"... Canadian, Seppo whatever ..." Info showing all the cultural sensitivity of Nixon's hearts and minds carpet bombing of Cambodia and by that and your earlier statement you have offended every person on both the North and South American continents, although calling Nth American's seppos without the mandatory prefix of "fucking stupid" is very lame on your part. Congratulations it takes a special type to talent to be so insensitive - never call a Canadian a Nth American nor a Nth American just American because by doing so you offend every man woman and child in Sth and Central America. Call Nth Americans any fracking name you but always with a prefix or two.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 2:03pm

As expected you don't have any constructive criticism of the video or even try to argue against anything he has said, just crticism of the author instead.

Same as you always do playing the man and never the ball.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 2:20pm

Info there is no equivalence, I’m never going to waste time on some youtoober like this nutcase and nor should you but then again I’m not on Facebook being fed tripe by their algorithms.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 3:33pm

If you not interested in the topic or video then why even bother to comment????

Did you even watch the video?

BTW. Im not sure why you are talking about Facebook?, it's a YouTube video, YouTube is owned by Google.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 5:50pm

Info, watched any of his other youtoob sensations?

How Canada, Australia, New Zealand, & The UK Are Secretly Forming One Global Superpower: CANZUK or

Countries Are Building Economic Empires by Controlling the Worlds Water Supply

...... there's plenty more for the chumps of the world to gobble up, fuck poor Jack ought be the head of the UN or broker Middle East peace or something, what a waste of his intellect, I mean is he really human or an alien he's so smart?

and also info, have you been onto his webpage where he's spruiking his investment seminars which you are invited to join for a small fee of(f) course.

For fuck sake info and you want me to take him and you seriously in posting such tripe. Now back to your mirror and repeatedly ask yourself what are you looking at cockhead until you get an answer.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jan 2022 at 6:51pm

Im not a subscriber to the channel, but it seems I've watched at least one other video of his, although i cant remember it.

Theres no doubt he has very click baity headlines on his videos, including the video discussed, but that's life these days if you dont have the headline you wont get peoples attention, so i wouldn't go judging a video by its headline.

Id expect this is what you have probably done, otherwise it seems a bit silly that you would spend the time watching the video and be willing to have all this pointless back and forth criticising the author, but then say you aren't going to waste your time on some Youtuber.

This is clearly a case of, i cant attack what he has said either because i either havent watched the video or i dont have an angle to discredit the video, so i will just try to discredit the author instead.

The basis of his video is fact and well documented.

1. Scomo, makes an announcement supporting an enquiry into the source of Covid.

2. China has a hissy fit and ban's some Australian imports including coal imports from Australia.

3. It seems at this point that Australia has lost out and China hasn't been affected because Australia is this little nobody compared to China.

3. But then China face coal shortages causing black outs and loss of production, because of their own ban on Aussie coal imports, basically shooting themselves in the foot.

4. China then gets so desperate they accept the coal from Australian ships that have been waiting to unload for months, this is huge because Asians hate losing face, so they must have been very very desperate.

That's basically the video, and pointing out how even though Australia is only a small country and seems irrelevant and China this huge and powerful country, that sometimes these little things can affect countries in ways not initially expected.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 8:18am

Also this means China are not interested in west australian crays any more which has radically dropped the prices even for very large crays, mahi mahi, spanish mackeral, tuna and snapper etc, cockles too. That is just coal and crays etc, only the invisible man living in the sky knows their plans and agenda. Could this be the start of ww3?

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 8:08pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

This is clearly a case of, i cant attack what he has said either because i either havent watched the video or i dont have an angle to discredit the video, so i will just try to discredit the author instead.

The basis of his video is fact and well documented.

1. Scomo, makes an announcement supporting an enquiry into the source of Covid.

2. China has a hissy fit and ban's some Australian imports including coal imports from Australia.

3. It seems at this point that Australia has lost out and China hasn't been affected because Australia is this little nobody compared to China.

3. But then China face coal shortages causing black outs and loss of production, because of their own ban on Aussie coal imports, basically shooting themselves in the foot.

4. China then gets so desperate they accept the coal from Australian ships that have been waiting to unload for months, this is huge because Asians hate losing face, so they must have been very very desperate.

That's basically the video, and pointing out how even though Australia is only a small country and seems irrelevant and China this huge and powerful country, that sometimes these little things can affect countries in ways not initially expected.

That's a good summary of the video, news articles on the issue, and even what our government is saying.

But it's pretty easy to discredit the whole lot.

There could be a much simpler and more boring explanation.

One question I'd ask is if China has put a ban on Australian coal then why did all these ships keep waiting for the past year or two to still get offloaded? Maybe China has just been experiencing some delays in offloading the coal from the ships?

Consider the following:

China has been at war internally with commodity speculators and traders for a few years now, see for instance here and here, who've been hoarding all kinds of metals and other commodities including coal, particularly at China's shipping ports, in order to try to artificially increase commodity and metal prices. Here's an article from a global shipping industry news service about the Chinese govt inspecting ports for hoarding coal, and you can find other commentary, particularly on Chinese language online news.

So maybe China's ports have been at full capacity and experiencing other problems that resulted in China being unable to offload the coal until space in the ports was freed up and the government got more control of the commodity speculation and hoarding activities...??

Slowly over time these ships have been offloaded at discrete points, and I think the final ships were finally offloaded very recently. But every time China does offload some coal, our media kicks up this massive stink and wild hysteria saying things like China has "backed down" and "backflipped" on its coal "ban"... (Is there actually really a coal ban or is this just made up too...?)

Actually the video also mentions other issues such as natural disasters etc that impacted on coal supply internally in China. Also, did you know that Indonesia recently stopped coal exports to China due to electricity supply shortages inside Indonesia...? Plus there is an overall supply chain crisis, in particular impacting the global shipping situation, which is also holding up the flow of products and commodities into and out of all ports across the globe, including China...

Regarding the electricity/power shortages, this happens in China every year, and often multiple times per year. China's electricity grid is not the most efficient and responsive in the world you know... Plus as the video says, Aus coal exports is only a very small proportion of China's coal supply, so it doesn't really impact on China's overall coal and electricity supply and grid... The Chinese govt is regularly "scrambling" to increase coal supply and power production when it experiences grid shortages...this is just part of daily life in China and always has been...

Another thing, see for instance here and here. This whole coal situation is occurring within a background of China trying reduce its coal production and consumption and meet greenhouse emissions and other pollution targets. Overall China is currently making huge efforts to transition away from coal powered electricity towards renewables and green energy. So China is currently doing its best to scale back coal production and imports (with varying degrees of success, I might add).

And they need to! If you've ever driven or taken a bus or train through areas in China that have a relatively larger proportion and concentration of coal powered electricity plants, then you'll agree that these areas resemble those horrible images and movie scenes of shocking pollution, greyed over and gloomy sky, and massive factories with huge smoke clouds of pollution bellowing up into the air, of industrial revolution era Britain... Actually these areas reminded me of movie and cartoon scenes depicting what it wold be like to go to hell... Here's a picture I took on top of the Guangzhou tower late 2019 on actually a perfectly clear sunny day apart from some very small clouds:

The haze is all pollution. I have some other even worse pictures of Shanghai with much thicker pollution that's actually brown, but they're on a different device. Sometimes in Shanghai the pollution is so bad that you can't actually see the other side of the street. I'm not making that up.

So actually the basis of his video is not fact and not well documented at all. The video is just more fabricated junk designed to get clicks by playing on misinformed people and their fear of the unknown in China.

But of course this boring reality and mundane facts on the ground is not enough for our media, which instead needs to fabricate something actually interesting and sensational in order to get the clicks it needs...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 31 Jan 2022 at 9:26pm

The bans were well publicised as far back as mid 2020 and made official latter in the year and seems its a long term thing too, there is no shortage of articles on the issue, all point's in the video are well documented.

Just a few articles on the issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/world/australia/china-coal-climate-ch...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/australian-coal-blocked-indefinitely-b...

https://www.afr.com/world/asia/signs-of-thaw-in-china-s-ban-on-australia...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/26/china-energy-crisis-beijing-not-likely-t...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-06/china-turns-to-stranded-australia...

Why did the ships continue to wait to offload?

Isn't this very obvious?

It would be completely pointless to bring the coal back to Australia, so that only leaves two options.

1. Sell it to another buyer in the region, as did happen in some circumstances.

2. Wait until the bans are lifted, because almost always bans are lifted in a few week to months and off-course the suppliers would know what the effects the ban would have, shortages of coal, blackouts and eventually China would have to go, argh okay we will take what you have.

Yes i mentioned Indonesia's freeze on coal exports in another comment above, which helped us move some of the coal from the ships on, although i believe the freeze has now been reversed.

Anyway in the long run, it's a good thing for everyone.

It put's pressure on China to reduce coal use which is better for the world and we really need to move away from relying so much on China for our exports and imports, bans from China are really a blessing to us and the rest of the world, it just helps us do what we need to do which is reduce trade with China and increase trade with other Asian countries, because as we all know we rely too much on China for trade.

These bans send a message to other business dealing with China not just Australian but around the world, that you cant rely on China for secure business, so any smart business would be looking for other markets and reducing reliance on China.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 11:22am

Abc news today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-16/the-decades-long-fight-to-save-wa...

Something special about the sw region

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 11:32am
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 11:54am

The south west is the only place iv'e seen a flock of red tailed cockatoos. rare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_black_cockatoo

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 1:19pm

Nice.

I'm seeing lots of black cockatoos this wet la nina summer. Would usually only see or hear them very occasionally but as it's raining almost every day I hear them all the time.

Kinda lost my affection for them too. It's true that they're handsome devils, but that reedy, high-pitched shrill is at odds with their countenance.

They're the David Beckham of the bird world.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 1:35pm

"They're the David Beckham of the bird world"
ha. embarrassed to say it now but I love their call. certainly seem much more prolific post fires. not sure thats a good thing?
we had a couple of red tail black cockies the other week feeding on the casuarinas that was pretty cool. can't remember seeing them this side of the range before.

thanks for posting the water reform article Rob!

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 3:46pm

Bonza, they would be the threatened Glossy Black Cockatoos in the casuarinas. Around here they really got knocked around by the bushfires which toasted their main food sources, Coastal and Forest She Oak.

…..How did your new low cost airline launch go?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 3:53pm

All yellow-tailed blacks around here.

They seem to like feeding on coastal banksia cones.

I love the slow, deep wingbeats and prehistoric wailing they make.

There was a flock of around 40 hanging around here last winter.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 3:56pm

yep that's them. the coastal sub species? beautiful bird - their call seems less piercing than the yellow tails?- I'm not a twitcher

yellwo tails also love the macadamias the pricks

yeah about that airline - its a sore point. - just trying to figure how to get my cut.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Wednesday, 16 Feb 2022 at 4:14pm

that's good Robwilliams - re the decision to cease the clearfelling of old growth forests. But the decision to end all timber harvesting in all native forests (not just WA, but other states have moved in this direction also) will not be good for mitigating climate change in the long-term. These forests will no longer be actively managed and will eventually burn, releasing massive amounts of carbon back into the atmosphere. There would be a greater net long-term carbon sequestration benefit from selective harvesting of regrowth native forests - locking up carbon in harvested timber products that have many uses for decades, and creating the small-scale disturbance/gaps in the forest that eucalypts need for successful regeneration, to continue the cycle. And these manged forests would be less susceptible to wildfires. Locking up all of our once productive native forests is bad political decision-making that does not follow the science.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 8:32am

Don't get the red tailed cockatoo here so I was stoked to have seen them in the sw. We have a bit of a problem with yellow crested cockatoos hammering trees at the moment such as the norfolk pine and some gums. They pick a tree and and go to work. Either for entertainment or food. Make a huge mess and have left some trees struggling. Seem to go into a frenzy, Bit like teething with allot of noise.
Abc reported this this morning about the lower lakes of the the murray. Special area. Been a good year for some birds in the south. Far cooler summer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-02-18/coorong-black-swans/1008383...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 8:41am
GreenJam wrote:

that's good Robwilliams - re the decision to cease the clearfelling of old growth forests. But the decision to end all timber harvesting in all native forests (not just WA, but other states have moved in this direction also) will not be good for mitigating climate change in the long-term. These forests will no longer be actively managed and will eventually burn, releasing massive amounts of carbon back into the atmosphere. There would be a greater net long-term carbon sequestration benefit from selective harvesting of regrowth native forests - locking up carbon in harvested timber products that have many uses for decades, and creating the small-scale disturbance/gaps in the forest that eucalypts need for successful regeneration, to continue the cycle. And these manged forests would be less susceptible to wildfires. Locking up all of our once productive native forests is bad political decision-making that does not follow the science.

I was amazed that the prescribed burns in the sw took place in the drier months. They should burn in winter if they are going to do it. Reduced fuel loads through winters, it still burns easily and is far more controllable. A balancing act for sure especially when considering population and flora and funa.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 8:47am
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 18 Feb 2022 at 10:21am

Beautiful colours Rob

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 Feb 2022 at 8:13am

The retreat continues..

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 12:04pm

Massive numbers in the east.
High numbers in west. To further add to some of the recent swellnet articles and comments.
Abc today.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-28/wa-weather-delivers-perth-its-hot...

Abc

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 6:38pm

Oh wow, hottest on record. Missed that. Thanks Rob.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 9:20pm

Craig you guys put so much effort into a great web sight. You have provided allot of excellent info on weather that has taught us allot. You guys provide so much excellent information in regards how it all relates to the fun we all love. I just add what I find interesting. You guys have made allot of people happy with the experience and knowledge you have attained in a career from your passions. Pretty epic

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 8:51am

Thanks for the kind words Rob. And yeah reading for the weekend Constance.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 10:51am
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 10:51am
flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 2:15pm

House collapsing into the ocean on the North Shore

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/02/28/no-injuries-after-house-collaps...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 2:21pm
flollo wrote:

Interested to see what the outcome will be from this. I'm guessing there won't be any sea walls or similar built that may affect wave quality in that part of the world.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 2:31pm
goofyfoot wrote:
flollo wrote:

Interested to see what the outcome will be from this. I'm guessing there won't be any sea walls or similar built that may affect wave quality in that part of the world.

No, seawalls are prohibited in Hawaii. However, that house and others nearby that are also in danger of collapsing had been shoring up their sea-front boundaries with sandbags.

Sandbags are allowed to be used for emergency purposes, but they're meant to then be removed. The owners found a loophole to keep sandbags in place permanently.

Not that it matters in the end, as the above story makes clear. It just delays the inevitable.