Climate Change

blowfly's picture
blowfly started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Jul 2020 at 9:40am

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 1:46pm

@Craig, what does CAPE mean. BOM bloke in video showed potential for storms, and said CAPE was high???
Ocean/atmospheric moisture levels?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 2:07pm

CAPE stands for Convective Available Potential Energy. It's a measurement for how much energy is in the atmosphere, for storm development etc.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 3:54pm

Thanks Ben. We didn't get much last night, and based on how hot and humid it was, I thought we were going to get smashed.

monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 4:41pm

Apparently a warning of this unpredictable weather was given several months ago: https://www.michaelwest.com.au/government-incompetence-and-lack-of-plann...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 4:46pm

I hope no one ever attacks us. We would have no chance, we can't even manage well-known risks in our country.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 5:43pm

Damn government should have planned ahead and put out a big umbrella.

monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 5:57pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Damn government should have planned ahead and put out a big umbrella.

Plan for the worst, expect the best.

All that Covid modeling could have been put to better use for flood modeling and then logistical preparation, dry runs in case the worst happened. Thats what happens in the commercial world (mostly); the public sec toris rather hopeless at planning and preparation. (No votes in it if it doesnt happen right ?).

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 8:43pm

“....the public secotr is rather hopeless at planning and preparation....”

That’s true but only because the LNP has deliberately and systematically gutted the public service for decades but especially so the last 9 years.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 10:19pm

True Guy, public sector bashing, a favourite Australian sport. Uninformed, ignorant, totally Australian.

The public sector does what the politicians allow it to. For the last 9 years that has been ‘very little’.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 8:52am
batfink wrote:

True Guy, public sector bashing, a favourite Australian sport. Uninformed, ignorant, totally Australian.

The public sector does what the politicians allow it to. For the last 9 years that has been ‘very little’.

Public sector performance should be scrutinised just as all job performance is. National sport or not. If you do your job well most of the time you have nothing to be worried about. If your work is performance poor, maybe it's time to improve or take another job. Excuses or not. Outcomes and satisfaction are telling to the wider public who often work with the public sector. The public sector is meant to deliver better outcomes and on the whole they do. It's the ones that fail time and time again in the face of every day Australians that need to be reworked to some extent. How did we get here? We know how we got here.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 9:39am

As per this report number of public sector employees in Australia is more than 2 million. It consistently grew over the years. In summary, nearly 1 out of 5 people working in Australia work in the public sector:

"Overall the share of public employment has been largely stable over time, at approximately 17% of total employment."

There was a slight drop in 2019-2020 due to LGA employment drop:

"However, overall public employment growth was negative over 2019-20 at -0.3%, with notable growth in Commonwealth Government employment (1.6%) offset by reduced employment by the States (-0.1%) and significant reductions by Local Councils (-4.1%). Many local councils are facing significant fallout from the Coronavirus Pandemic due to rates arrears."

There are also obvious benefits in being in the public sector:

"Despite the decline in overall employment, Australia’s public sector wages bill grew by 4.3% over 2019-20 (4.6% on a per employee basis) to $174.1 billion. This was well in excess of overall wages growth (1.8% pa) and inflation (0.3% pa) over the same period."

https://atlasurbaneconomics.com/service/public-sector-employment-in-aust...

So what does everyone think about the source of the issue? For example, do we have too many admins and not enough frontline staff? Or our managers are suck and are not competent for the job? Or do we need to increase overall public sector employment? It's approaching 1 in 5 across the workforce. What should it be, 1 in 3? I'm genuinely interested in some ideas that people might share about this.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 10:05am

I work at the mushroom level of a state’s public service department. We are way too top heavy in management. I feel they spend too much time having meetings and too little time actually doing anything. My direct superior is a completely hopeless waste of public funds. Less but more efficient management and more boots on the ground to deliver services.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 10:09am

In other news up in Gympie they are starting to think about a different direction after this flood. Possible? I don’t know?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-10/calls-to-relocate-gympie-cbd-afte...

Oh and Scomo was in Gympie yesterday. Went to the meat works that got flooded for some pics but just as in Lismore avoided the public flood victims like the plague

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 11:22am

"... The public sector is meant to deliver better outcomes and on the whole they do. It's the ones that fail time and time again in the face of every day Australians that need to be reworked to some extent ..."

@Robwilliams, can you expand on this, give examples of what you see as failures.

@flollo, referencing a business that seems to be an outsourcing agency for formally public sector planning functions isn't exactly balanced when trying to establish PS numbers.

Whatever the real numbers in the PS the real issue is the loss of "corporate knowledge" caused by efficiency cuts, the cutting of red tape, forced redundancies blah blah since Howard's time. Hawke/Keating forced efficiency dividends on the PS for each and every year which in the end resulted in a pretty lean and efficient PS. The real fun started under Howard where functions like Aged Care (how did that go during COVID??) and Child Care were effectively privatised and the public servants supporting those programs sacked or redeployed into the private sector at salaries approaching x2 previous paid!! Remember Abbott's "cutting red tape" program? well, that resulted in 100s and 100s of jobs lost in each of the ATO, ACCC and ASIC and those "financial regulator" agencies were the ones most heavily criticised in the Banking Royal Commission for not keeping the banks honest. Want to know where the big accounting firms get their staff from to advise clients about tax avoidance? The ATO that's where!

I could go on and on with example after example of how the PS has been hollowed out and functions privatised to the detriment of required service delivery but its all part of the small govt/tax lie of a certain side of politics, you know.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 11:30am

@GuySmiley the source is clearly highlighted on the page:

Source: ABS (2020). Employment and Earnings, Public Sector, Australia, 2019-20. ABS, Canberra.

So are we not trusting the official ABS numbers?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 11:58am

ABS figures would be trustworthy

ABS another agency hollowed out, remember the criticism of the last census? hard to do the required job with antiquated software and less staff.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 12:14pm
GuySmiley wrote:

"... The public sector is meant to deliver better outcomes and on the whole they do. It's the ones that fail time and time again in the face of every day Australians that need to be reworked to some extent ..."

@Robwilliams, can you expand on this, give examples of what you see as failures.

@flollo, referencing a business that seems to be an outsourcing agency for formally public sector planning functions isn't exactly balanced when trying to establish PS numbers.

Whatever the real numbers in the PS the real issue is the loss of "corporate knowledge" caused by efficiency cuts, the cutting of red tape, forced redundancies blah blah since Howard's time. Hawke/Keating forced efficiency dividends on the PS for each and every year which in the end resulted in a pretty lean and efficient PS. The real fun started under Howard where functions like Aged Care (how did that go during COVID??) and Child Care were effectively privatised and the public servants supporting those programs sacked or redeployed into the private sector at salaries approaching x2 previous paid!! Remember Abbott's "cutting red tape" program? well, that resulted in 100s and 100s of jobs lost in each of the ATO, ACCC and ASIC and those "financial regulator" agencies were the ones most heavily criticised in the Banking Royal Commission for not keeping the banks honest. Want to know where the big accounting firms get their staff from to advise clients about tax avoidance? The ATO that's where!

I could go on and on with example after example of how the PS has been hollowed out and functions privatised to the detriment of required service delivery but its all part of the small govt/tax lie of a certain side of politics, you know.

health sector. great people doing amazing things. they know from the inside of how they have been neglected, used and abused.
emergency services. same as above
property planning, local and government.

What are the issues you see?
They are in every sector. Failure to expand to positive outcomes at the expense of allot of money. Leadership is responsible for decisions at the end of the day. Show utes don't save lives, neither do hair cuts or T shirts. The experience is there, the knowledge, the past failures should have been learn't from. Often experience and science is neglected. We have so much at our finger tips with in our local communities.

Plenty of incapable people siting tidily in government jobs till retirement. Why would you rock the boat if you are nicely feathering your nest. No need for change. Those that do are relegated or leave on own terms. Nothing really changes. If you remove systems that are proven and replace them with weaker outcomes or performance you fail. . We have countless knowledge, experience, people willing to rectify or bring positive change. Why are those who hinder advancement standing in the way when they have been proven ill equipped or incompetent.
So many people have dealt with rubbish from the top down.

Removing rural fire sirens from stations to be replaced with mobile phone reception in the face of emergencies, which often doesn't work is a recipe for disaster and a waste of money. who makes these decisions, why are councils hiding their decision making from public? Is it to protect them from being called our for poor practice or incompetence at the cost to the tax payer. Again not attacking the public sector just asking wtf is up with competent decision making in regards to us all. If it's broken you fix it. But you don't a half assed job and expect it to last or perform under pressure. The signs have been evident, no point in ignoring them when we bear the brunt of consequence. Why add to the problems if we can rectify them? But what the fuck do I know.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 12:20pm
seeds wrote:

In other news up in Gympie they are starting to think about a different direction after this flood. Possible? I don’t know?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-10/calls-to-relocate-gympie-cbd-afte...

Oh and Scomo was in Gympie yesterday. Went to the meat works that got flooded for some pics but just as in Lismore avoided the public flood victims like the plague

Because he's a weak prick that didn't learn from his first indiscretion. Actually it's insulting to those suffering. Take those mole skins and fuck off back to Canberra. Weak leaders deserve the anger and resent they acquire. He's comfortable in his neglect. Safe in his constituents. He's a joke.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 12:29pm

“ ... Plenty of incapable people siting tidily in government jobs till retirement. Why would you rock the boat if you are nicely feathering your nest. No need for change.....”

I find it difficult to believe this still happens much in the public service, all that ended long ago. You have specific examples you can quote?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 12:50pm

Guy my comment above re my manager. Exactly this
Ps has been the same for over a decade

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 1:16pm

Go into any public service sector and ask for your self. Real people real anserw's. Different issues same old problem. Not hard to believe. Not hard to see. They can quote the issues they face if they are brave honest enough. Women usually are upfront and don't skirt the issues they face. You will find what you are looking for wether I supply it or not. Any public sector under strain. Start with health. Have a good hard look. Listen and ask why are they saying this? Ask them why they think the situations is as it is. They live under it daily. Some have worked amongst it for years. I also find it hard to believe but fact is stranger than fiction right. Is government stupidity supplied with this job? Or learn't on the job? Again not an attack on all public sector workers. Can I dig up a road twice to put services in and be thought of as well planned at the expense of the tax payer? Just a regular oversight or missed opportunity? Electricity and water can be put in roughly the same time of projects progression. We are not going to mars. Show me something different and I will support it if carries the best interest of the community it serves. Spending of allocated budget in regards to securing equal or greater budget next financial term isn't progress if it isn't used to it's fullest or squandered. (think new signs which say the same as last year different colours, text etc.) We are better than this.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 1:18pm

@seeds, hard to argue with personal experience but does one swallow make a spring? Now get back to work!

@robwilliams, I’m sorry please deal in facts not “Yes Minister” type humour and here say.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 1:59pm

That manager isn’t the only one. Plenty of reshuffles over the years sees people being given projects. Some worthy and some just pointless but as you have public service job security it’s what happens. Also roles are supposed to be meritoriously awarded. In my area there has been a hell of a lot of pseudo nepotism. Promotions for friends. It’s a running joke amongst my coworkers. Who are they? Where’d they come from? Oh they’re friends with the group

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 2:24pm
seeds wrote:

That manager isn’t the only one. Plenty of reshuffles over the years sees people being given projects. Some worthy and some just pointless but as you have public service job security it’s what happens. Also roles are supposed to be meritoriously awarded. In my area there has been a hell of a lot of pseudo nepotism. Promotions for friends. It’s a running joke amongst my coworkers. Who are they? Where’d they come from? Oh they’re friends with the group

Just by way of interest are you in State/Commonwealth PS? If State which state. It sounds ancient.

I'm retired now but in my 30 years working at State (Vic) and Commonwealth level there were the occasional example as you describe but hand on heart never widespread. The areas/programs I worked in were always rapidly expanding and seriously under resourced. The last 13 years working at the State level the agency I worked for was seriously hard arsed, the full blown Activity Based Costing model, plenty were made redundant or sacked on performance grounds, equally plenty were promoted or paid bonuses based on high performance.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 2:29pm
flollo wrote:

@GuySmiley the source is clearly highlighted on the page:

Source: ABS (2020). Employment and Earnings, Public Sector, Australia, 2019-20. ABS, Canberra.

So are we not trusting the official ABS numbers?

well, given the reputation of the public service...

haha

sorry couldn't resist

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 2:58pm

@Guy. State. And I only speak of my small area office in my small department. Thankfully I work generally unsupervised outside of the office at the bottom of the rungs and have never ever considered going up the rungs as I would die inside. Can’t say much more you know Code Of Conduct etc

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 2:59pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Go into any public service sector and ask for your self. Real people real anserw's. Different issues same old problem. Not hard to believe. Not hard to see. They can quote the issues they face if they are brave honest enough. Women usually are upfront and don't skirt the issues they face. You will find what you are looking for wether I supply it or not. Any public sector under strain. Start with health. Have a good hard look. Listen and ask why are they saying this? Ask them why they think the situations is as it is. They live under it daily. Some have worked amongst it for years. I also find it hard to believe but fact is stranger than fiction right. Is government stupidity supplied with this job? Or learn't on the job? Again not an attack on all public sector workers. Can I dig up a road twice to put services in and be thought of as well planned at the expense of the tax payer? Just a regular oversight or missed opportunity? Electricity and water can be put in roughly the same time of projects progression. We are not going to mars. Show me something different and I will support it if carries the best interest of the community it serves. Spending of allocated budget in regards to securing equal or greater budget next financial term isn't progress if it isn't used to it's fullest or squandered. (think new signs which say the same as last year different colours, text etc.) We are better than this.

exactly!

especially this stuff...

"...Spending of allocated budget in regards to securing equal or greater budget next financial term isn't progress if it isn't used to it's fullest or squandered. (think new signs which say the same as last year different colours, text etc.) We are better than this"

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 3:14pm

Hey Shep, that’s so 1970s, ever heard of triennial funding? No, didn’t think you did

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 4:16pm

so the inefficency and budget baiting is spread over 3 years...

triennial funding or not, the waste is in your face and astounding

do you count councils as public service?

do they have triennial funding?

they waste shitloads regardless

your experience just isn't reality guysmiley, your claims of a declining sector has been shown to be wrong - by public service numbers!

you have a litany of excuses running above, anyone who has worked, or knows anyone that works in the public service knows the deal...

the pressure just is not there!

the immense pressure to conform and not rock the boat is... which just adds to the inefficency...

but carry on

your 'perspective' is proving priceless

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 5:39pm

Yep Shep LGAs are wasteful but with State Govt mandated rate freezes they are at the mercy of State and the Commonwealth govts “spend it by yesterday” funding announcements as you describe but LGAs would love more certainty/planning on their funding so some criticism on how LGAs spend should be directed to the other tiers of govt. More certainty /planning less pork barrelling!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 5:51pm

I hate to show my ignorance, and Im reluctant to go there, as Im pretty sure factless started it...

but curiousity has got the better of me, what's with the 'shep' thing?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Mar 2022 at 9:37am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 14 Mar 2022 at 9:51am

Aside from the main thrust of the story, four different green energy companies were mentioned and all four were foreign owned.

South Korean, French, Thai, and Irish.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 14 Mar 2022 at 11:38am

Caught my eye to stunet. I believe we can do better. Be interested to know what ties the pastoralists have.
Site location seems inappropriate for obvious reasons.

Are planning and infrastructure taking too many long lunches and rushing developments through? Who clears wooded areas for environmental projects. Location location.
Mind numbing incompetence over and over. Government environmental consultation falls short again . A common trend.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 1:46pm

Can't see that Supa.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 1:59pm
Craig wrote:

Can't see that Supa.

Oh ok , it was footage of all the dead fish in the clarence river after the floods, heaps of flathead and bream , very sad E2-C18904-0-F6-C-40-C0-869-F-9-CA674-C7-C842

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 16 Mar 2022 at 4:03pm

Ah yep saw that, Udo send to me.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 7:49am

A quote from Justice Bromberg in the first instance decision in Sharma v Minister for the Environment.

“It is difficult to characterize in a single phrase the devastation that the plausible evidence presented in this proceeding forecasts for the Children. As Australian adults know their country, Australia will be lost and the World as we know it gone as well. The physical environment will be harsher, far more extreme and devastatingly brutal when angry. As for the human experience – quality of life, opportunities to partake in nature’s treasures, the capacity to grow and prosper – all will be greatly diminished. Lives will be cut short. Trauma will be far more common and good health harder to hold and maintain. None of this will be the fault of nature itself. It will largely be inflicted by the inaction of this generation of adults, in what might fairly be described as the greatest inter-generational injustice ever inflicted by one generation of humans upon the next.” [Sharma v Minister for the Environment]
Justice Mordecai Bromberg

Although this decision was overturned by the full Federal Court on appeal by the minister, the way could still be open for an appeal to the High Court if special leave is granted. Importantly the factual findings in the case were not overturned. Reference the tobacco litigations where the facts were unassailable.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 8:44am
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 8:00am

It’s 70 degrees warmer than normal in eastern Antarctica. Scientists are flabbergasted. https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/03/18/antarctica-heat-wave-c...

Constance B Gibson's picture
Constance B Gibson's picture
Constance B Gibson Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 9:56am

Oi, I think there's an election coming up or sumfin'?

https://theshot.net.au/general-news/climate-denial-has-changed-into-a-su...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 11:37am

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 11:35am

Abc news
Wether you are left, right, green or somewhere in between. It all starts with us.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-20/franklin-dam-debate-divided-tasma...

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 4:06pm

What is Australia’s emissions contribution to the planet? 1%?
Less than?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 5:52pm
Michael Adam wrote:

What is Australia’s emissions contribution to the planet? 1%?
Less than?

Does it matter? What about what we export?

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 5:54pm

Uranium?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 6:00pm

Not uranium, we export a lot of coal
And gas. Also 1% is a rubbery figure when you look into emissions reporting. Methane emissions alone is heavily under reported.

And what does it matter anyway, the jig is up. It’s time to change. We’ve known for along time. Vested interests have muddied the waters.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 20 Mar 2022 at 7:06pm

There's a bigger picture,

The uranium we export has prevented millions to billions of tons of coal being burnt.

The gas we export has prevented millions to billions of tons of coal being burnt.

The quality coal we export has prevented millions to bllions of tons of lower grade high carbon coal being burnt.

Then throw in all the minerals we provide for renewables.