COVID-19 Health System Overload Forecaster

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm

I've created a spreadsheet forecast which I'll update as we go..

There's also a website with live running data.. https://sites.google.com/view/stayhomeaustralia

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 10:29am
adam12 wrote:

Is the NY Post a credible news source?

Media bias check gives New York Post the same rating as CNN for factual reporting which is :Mixed

"These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources."

New York Post: is rated between Centre Right and Right

CNN: is rated dead Left also mixed for factual reporting but little more bias.

"These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources."

So if you were to come from a neutral position and thought CNN is credible news source, then technically New Your post is also, although slightly less bias.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 10:30am

So as always, the truth lies somewhere in between?

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 10:39am

Credible sources ???

Seems like there are NO credible sources .

Off the list also goes the Age , SMH , AFR and Guardian . The Australian , Sky , FOX , Daily Mail , and Sun .

Suits me as BB doesn't care where I source my information from anyway which I already knew .

I love hearing some of the history of his views . He would have loved the Muller report . ha ha .
The fact that the Russian hoax was the Clintons idea and the FBI knew it and went ahead with the investigation anyway .

Would not have mattered to him that he was made to look like a fool . He definitely would not have admitted it .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 11:05am

"Probably because it is totally irrelevant to the issue of the origin of the disease..."

I honestly cannot comprehend how people continue to make this argument

if you want to look like a totally biased fool, willing to lap up the most contrived of cover ups in history...

this is your starting point

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 11:50am
sypkan wrote:

"Probably because it is totally irrelevant to the issue of the origin of the disease..."

I honestly cannot comprehend how people continue to make this argument

if you want to look like a totally biased fool, willing to lap up the most contrived of cover ups in history...

this is your starting point

Im glad you said it, i just couldn't be bothered calling this out again.

It's obviously super important to understand the origin of Covid thats causes the biggest pandemic of our life time, no matter if natural origin or lab leak, the how and why and learn what we can and prevent it from happening again.

We all know why it's unlikely we will ever get proper answers though.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:07pm

"We all know why it's unlikely we will ever get proper answers though."

yeh, because some people are not even willing to ask the question...

the same people who cesselessly tell us to 'follow the science'

except this time

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:25pm

But Marc Lipsitch, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts, says that gain-of-function studies “have done almost nothing to improve our preparedness for pandemics — yet they risked creating an accidental pandemic”. He argues that such experiments should not happen at all. But if the government is going to fund them, Lipsitch says, he is glad there will be an extra level of review. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-08837-7. https://news.yahoo.com/internal-documents-further-contradict-fauci-14290... https://www.ft.com/content/b328636c-1149-4562-aa6f-f1b0302d3ab9 anyone really believe that funding has stopped for this type of research ?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:31pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Roadkill -"Well, Ardern and Labour really never have any real ideas. They will no doubt have a working party and a govt review about to start."

No new ideas anyway . They only ever call a review or inquiry when they have worked out the answers or the findings they want to hear . They then get the right person to run the process with their terms of reference .

Just like the Hotel Quarantine inquiry that found that a department made to tragic decision to hire an ill-equipped company to cause 800 deaths .

Everyone knows that a person makes a decision , not a department .

Captainobvious19..trust me when I say. You, have nothing to teach me about NZ politics and how it works. Zip, nada.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 12:38pm

Roadkill - That's right . Sorry I forgot you know everything . H Ha

I wouldn't trust you as far as I can throw you from some of your comments on various threads .

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 1:46pm

everybody has their own set of bullshit facts, everybody think's they're the first person in history to finally get it right. And they've got a platform to fucken preach that crap"

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 1:51pm
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:11pm

A sad ending...I bet she regrets her selfish decision.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2021/09/vaccinated-man-with-als-d...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:16pm

Australia has ordered 300,000 courses , hope they got mates rates , in the US its $700 USD . Cheaper than being hospitalised. Can’t see poorer nations rushing to put their orders in . https://t.co/Np1AmF4sEw

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:28pm

“Name a single piece of unsubstantiated bullshit I have posted about the vaccines.”

“The obese, the lazy, the voluntarily unhealthy are far more likely to be hospitalised than the unvaccinated, by orders of magnitude, “

No link provided: Unsubstantiated nand probably false.

“Despite the “red necked, good ol’ boy unvaccinated Trumpists are to blame “ narrative the peanuts are pushing, there is no valid reason why the US should have not just the most , but a massively outsized majority of global Covid deaths.”

No link provided: Unsubstantiated (and yes it is related to vaccination)

“The AstraZeneca vaccines have not yet been approved* beyond emergency use.”

True, but misleading. Astra-Zeneca is not the only vaccine available and Pfizer is fully approved in the US
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/08/26/fact-check-fda-...

“ Why do you think that the company which makes it has complete indemnity from any ill effects? Why do you think that anyone who injects it is not liable for any ill effects?”

Unsubstantiated speculation about the reasons for a decision which is regularly made for a variety of pharmaceutical products

“This deal is not entirely new or unexpected. The government has provided some indemnity to pharmaceutical companies that make vaccines against smallpox and influenza.
The governments of many other countries have also agreed to indemnify COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers, including governments in the UK, US and the European Union."

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2020/10/20/who-pays-compensa...

“Heart disease, diabetes and cancer kill many, many times more people than Covid,”

Exaggeration: Roughly double is not many, many times.
False: Covid deaths exceeded those from diabetes.

“According to the study released Wednesday, Covid-19 was listed as the underlying cause for 345,323 deaths, killing more Americans than unintentional injuries, strokes, chronic lower respiratory disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, influenza and pneumonia and kidney disease…..Only heart disease and cancer killed more people in the U.S. than Covid-19 in 2020 — heart disease killed 690,882 people and cancer killed 598,932.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/covid-was-third-leading-cause-of-death-i...

Shall I go on?

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm

Stunet- haha ! Yeah I think he calls himself Rodney E Rhode- forgot to put in the e. Wonder if he’s heard of him ? Hehe

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:44pm

You’ll have to go on as you’ve not pointed out a single incorrect thing I’ve mentioned. I’m not going to address them at all because a cursory glance reveals that none of your deep dive search for discrepancies came up with any incorrect information I’ve posted.

Not one.

OK…here’s one…but it’s only cause you’re a silly old bugger and I feel a bit sorry for you:

In TWO years 4.5M have died WITH Covid globally.
Meanwhile this is EVERY SINGLE YEAR
One in seven births is affected by gestational diabetes. Three-quarters (75 per cent) of people with diabetes live in low- and middle-income countries. 542,000 children have type 1 diabetes. Every six seconds a person dies from diabetes (5.0 million deaths)

The worst bit is that even your laughable attempt at being the self appointed Swellnet Fact checker is derailed when you are the one posting lies, bullshit and incorrect information. In your post above you claim that Covid kills MORE people than diabetes. In Australia Covid 1346 people have died WITH Covid whilst …. Diabetes contributed to about 16,700 deaths in 2018 (10.5% of all deaths) alone.

You’ve got nothing but an oversized sense of importance bloke. You certainly have no cause to claim that things I say about the vaccines aren’t true. Your fear mongering is hyperbolic bullshit, whilst every single thing I’ve said is fact.

Deal with it bloke.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm

BB - PLEASE don't go on and on .

Surely truisms don't need to be substantiated ? "“The obese, the lazy, the voluntarily unhealthy are far more likely to be hospitalised than the unvaccinated, by orders of magnitude, “ Maybe lazy is not right but it is a Blowin post so lets not get too picky and let it get the wind up us .
Substantiated Bull shit is still bullshit . A list of the non bullshit ie truth , you produce would be much easier for me produce I think , although on second thought , it may be just as hard to produce .

Wallowing in BS , like Russia Gate , is hard to wash off and makes you smell bad .

Have a nice bath and start again with a new attitude .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm

Hutchy has attached himself to blowin. Blowin is now mentoring hutchy...what a pair. It's a perfect match..the blind leading the blind. This tag-team is freaking hilarious. :)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:47pm

Supafreak the Nature article you linked to provides the info about current funding arrangements. Like a lot of issues gain of function research has potential risks as well as potential rewards and trying to balance them is made more difficult by the uncertain occurrence of new pathogens and pandemics. Gain of function research, in my understanding, is mainly aimed at identifying likely new pathogens before they occur naturally. Mutations are random but are limited by the existing variation in the relevant gene pool. This means that it is possible to predict the genetic changes that would cause a bird or bat virus to become transmissable between humans. Viruses can also change by exchanging genetic material with other viruses but again this is limited by the available gene pool. The main advantage of this research is that it could hasten vaccine development or even lead to vaccines being developed before the virus infected humans. The fundamental concern of course is the security of research facilities carrying out this work which is being looked at closely. One factor that needs to be included in the overall risk assessment is that new pathogenic viruses will continue to appear. Cutting off research that could stop a future pandemic before it got started might turn out to be a bad decision. We live in uncertain times.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:52pm
Roadkill wrote:

Hutchy has attached himself to blowin. Blowin is now mentoring hutchy...what a pair. It's a perfect match..the blind leading the blind. This tag-team is freaking hilarious. :)

Incorrect. I’m my own wolf pack. I hunt alone. That’s what Sigmas do.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/sigma-male/

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:49pm
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:55pm

BB - Gain of Function research was banned in the US . Fauci decided to fund it in China .

This research created and caused Covid .

And your educated opinion is that not doing this research could be a bad decision . Unbelievable .

"gain of function research has potential risks as well as potential rewards and trying to balance them is made more difficult by the uncertain occurrence of new pathogens and pandemics" ." Cutting off research that could stop a future pandemic before it got started might turn out to be a bad decision. "

You have gone bonkers and I don't care if Blowin thinks you are worth debating with because I don't .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 2:59pm

Blowin, the more I listen to your rants the more I suspect that you suffer from transference.

"Transference is a phenomenon in which one seems to direct feelings or desires related to an important figure in one’s life—such as a parent—toward someone who is not that person."

The classic example of this is the bloke who gets home from work and yells at his wife because he is angry with his boss. As a teacher you deal with this frequently as the kid who had a problem with his father over breakfast gets angry with you. In your case, you are constantly angry and rage irrationally about the same narrow range of subjects, which if you are honest, probably do not really impact your life very much at all. It might be time to work out what (or who) you are really angry at. You're wasting your time raging and insulting me, it has no impact. I got over my mental health problems some time ago. You would be a happier man if you faced up to yours.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:00pm

Blowin - Although I thought it funny I say no to blood brothers to . You hunt alone .

I haven't found anyone who thinks like me and I don't think I want to .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:06pm

"This research created and caused Covid ."

Well it is still a possibility but it is unlikely. The definitive answer will take a time to emerge and China is not helping. But Hutchy , who couldn't give a junior high level of how a vaccine works, and has no understanding of the technical issues is 100% certain........

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm

"I haven't found anyone who thinks like me and I don't think I want to ."

Let us all give thanks for small mercies.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:14pm

@blindboy , so do you support gain of function research ?

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:23pm

blindboy - that's a real stretch, you saying I'm 'undermining public health measures'. I did nothing of the sort, simply pointed out some real misinformation and fear mongering from the pro-vax side.

I've had all the usual vaccines before, I'm just choosing not to have this one, and I dont go ranting about my stance like you do. Get over it - it's a free choice. Plus, I'm aware any good experiment needs a control, so I'm doing my bit for science by being in the control group for this massive covid vax experiment. If the virus happens to come my way, I'm pretty confident I can deal with it and would much prefer to have a natural immunity from thereon.

It's still early days in this experiment and potential uncovering of the truth about virus origins etc. You dont know everything

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:23pm

Was that sigma wolf or stigma wolf?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:40pm
blindboy wrote:
Blowin, the more I listen to your rants the more I suspect that you suffer from transference.

"Transference is a phenomenon in which one seems to direct feelings or desires related to an important figure in one’s life—such as a parent—toward someone who is not that person."

The classic example of this is the bloke who gets home from work and yells at his wife because he is angry with his boss. As a teacher you deal with this frequently as the kid who had a problem with his father over breakfast gets angry with you. In your case, you are constantly angry and rage irrationally about the same narrow range of subjects, which if you are honest, probably do not really impact your life very much at all. It might be time to work out what (or who) you are really angry at. You're wasting your time raging and insulting me, it has no impact. I got over my mental health problems some time ago. You would be a happier man if you faced up to yours.[/quote

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:33pm

I just had the funniest conversation with my almost 8 year old daughter driving home from picking her up from school.

She saw her tag on her jacket said made in China so asked me why it was made there and not in Australia, which lead to a quick basic lesson in economics, which she took a weird positive slant on thinking we should be thankful they made lots of cheap stuff for us, then i couldn't help myself saying yeah but not so thankful for Covid.

And she replied, well actually it wasn't created by everyone in China just Scientist, i said oh really and she said yeah it escaped from the lab, and then went on to explain in detail how it escaped from workers via the door handle.

I asked where she heard that and she said well some of it was just my own thinking, and some of it she heard on the news.

Gotta love kids.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm

Smart girl Indo . Takes after her mum ?

I also learn a lot from my kids . One of the many pleasures of being a dad .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm

supafreak, well if you are talking about the high risk research that risks generating another pandemic, of course not.
But if you mean the only technology able to prevent the next pandemic then of course I do.

That's the conundrum we face. We know what the risks are and have the technology to eliminate them if everyone follows procedures exactly. Unfortunately the human aspect cannot be quantified.

In terms of the benefits they are again impossible to quantify as there is no way to accurately predict the risk of a pandemic. If I was on an ethics panel and forced to vote I would be in favour of a pause until there has been a thorough review of safety procedures. An added advantage might be that cutting off funding for such work at the Wuhan institute might encourage China to release more data about the early cases.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm

My gosh BB . You are a teacher !!

My very best friend is also a teacher and I have huge respect for what he and you do . I hope you are/were as good a teacher as he is and promoted self thought views .

It does confirm my assumption though that you never applied your economic thoughts in the REAL world . I said I thought you were an academic and you denied it . Maybe your definition is correct .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Smart girl Indo . Takes after her mum ?

I also learn a lot from my kids . One of the many pleasures of being a dad .

Yeah takes after her mum, she was pretty good at school and a bit of the cliche Asian tiger mum.

Yeah never really wanted kids when i was younger but now i have them you get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing them grow up and just those moments.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm

@blindboy , do you know of any gain of function research that has benefited mankind ? Serious question.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:55pm

greenjam this is what you said.
"all the talk of misinformation...
well, I had a good chuckle yesterday hearing a quote from the QLD Premier's morning media chat - '...what we know about this virus, is that it will hunt down those people who are unvaccinated'"

The language of the Queensland Premier may not have been scientific but the take away message is right. By treating it as a joke you are undermining a critical health message. This is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

As lockdowns end and we return, however slowly, to normal, the virus will spread and those most vulnerable to infection and hospitalisation will be the unvaccinated. Given the number of unvaccinated people in the commnity the already extreme stress on the health system will get worse. You might be confident that when, not if, you are exposed to the virus you will not need hospitalisation, I hope you are right, but since every age group is represented in hospitalisations, you cannot be sure.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 3:55pm

BB, it’s not the “human element”, as in some random event of sloppiness, that very likely looses COVID in the world, but the fact that GOF research was conducted in Level2 labs (like a fricken dental surgery in terms of safety), and everyone was happy with it. The same people that loves the idea of it.

Absolute madness.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:01pm

supafreak I am not aware of any, but that is the nature of research. The benefits come later. Cutting off any research that did not yield immediate results would be catastrophic for the treatment of a wide variety of diseases. The issue is the risk/benefit analysis of continuing it. The benefits are potentially enormous....but so are the risks.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:06pm

Island Bay, there was a brand new level 4 facility on site. The decision to put the GOF in the lower level lab was made by a human. Was "everyone happy about it"? I don't know. These are the issues that need to be worked through.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:08pm

More truth

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:12pm

Those most vulnerable to hospitalisation and death will be the aged, the obese and those with severe underlying conditions as has always been the case.

That’s why there is still vaccinated people dying with Covid.

It’s not a pandemic of the unvaccinated as many vaccinated people will still catch Covid.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:39pm

"Those most vulnerable to hospitalisation and death will be the aged, the obese and those with severe underlying conditions as has always been the case."

Unsubstantiated assertion.

"It’s not a pandemic of the unvaccinated as many vaccinated people will still catch Covid."

Misleading: The vaccinated have a 96% reduction in the risk of hospitalisation. When 70-80% are vaccinated there will be seemingly high numbers of infections amongst the vaccinated, but breakthrough cases are only occurring at about 3%.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2109072

"Speaking with A Current Affair host Tracy Grimshaw, leading infectious diseases expert Professor Sharon Lewin said the vaccines we have rolled out "absolutely will have an impact on every individual that's been vaccinated".
"People that get vaccinated have a reduction in risk in going to hospital, or death, by over 95 per cent," the Doherty Institute professor said".

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-infectious-disease...

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 4:52pm

Your own comment shows why this research was banned -"In terms of the benefits they are again impossible to quantify as there is no way to accurately predict the risk of a pandemic. "

I totally agree !!!!

And you then can't answer if you support it and say banning it could be a bad idea .

You have painted yourself into a corner . Time to bail .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 5:08pm

"Those most vulnerable to hospitalisation and death will be the aged, the obese and those with severe underlying conditions as has always been the case."

Fact.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 5:20pm

First Moderna shot today at the local pharmacy , zero side effects so far , touch wood cos I have a busy week.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm

Blind boy - I am not sure of that studies accuracy in translation to human response as 1) it was only done on rats, 2) that Ibuprofen was put into cells prior to receiving cov cells is not the same as treating the cells after transmission.
Also, many cov patients that present to hospital /gp with co- existing medical conditions ( vast majority- this is proven) are already taking ibuprofen for managing these other symptoms of those illnesses, so there could be likelihood that it is easier to keep patients on the drug rather than deal with the complexities of taking them off.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 5:47pm
Blowin wrote:

More truth
https://youtu.be/8Qf5l2nmWOY

Fox news. Fair and balanced..yeah, right.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 5 Oct 2021 at 5:53pm
Blowin wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

Incorrect. I’m my own wolf pack. I hunt alone. That’s what Sigmas do.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/sigma-male/

Nope..you have your own minion now.

Love eyes for you. Look at it this way, finally someone thinks you ain’t full of shit.