Surfers and conspiracy theories etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Wednesday, 2 May 2018 at 8:00pm

I knew surfers weren't immune to being crazy, but a group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bryonbaysurfers/?hc_ref=ARRWDoQ3b7IDHBjx...

No i am not a member

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:21am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Anyway its crazy how so much of this has been quickly forgotten and how we have demonised these people for their views.

Do you consider that there's any link between those protesting and what happened in Queensland three days back? Nothing's cut and dry, any general protest is a mix of people and views, however much of what the Train brothers said online was also being said on the picket lines.

Reckon that intel is new or they've known it for a while?

Rhetorical question. Of course the police knew it. Does it help you understand why they may have shut down protests with force?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:26am
stunet wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Anyway its crazy how so much of this has been quickly forgotten and how we have demonised these people for their views.

Do you consider that there's any link between those protesting and what happened in Queensland three days back? Nothing's cut and dry, any general protest is a mix of people and views, however much of what the Train brothers said online was also being said on the picket lines.

Rhetorical question. Of course the police knew it. Does it help you understand why they may have shut down protests with force?

Are you serious? I’ve always respected your views even if I don’t agree. Not this though

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:31am
burleigh wrote:
stunet wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Are you serious?

Yes.

Look, you have your reasons to oppose the vaccine and mandates and, despite what BD accuses me of, I've never censored or ridiculed you. What I've said in the above comment is not strictly my view, rather an attempt to understand the justification for police heavy-handedness.

Clearly, the police know of what's being said on various forums, and they know who's turning up to what protests. Hint: they're not all pacifists like you Burleigh.

Now, knowing that some who oppose vaccines and mandates are capable of killing police officers and bystanders in cold blood, do you still think police should let the same people run free in a mob?

Me, I think I can understand why police would want to shut that down.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:37am

There’s a significant body of work that outlines the links between ‘mom and pop’ protestors and malign violent actors seeking to exploit grassroots activism for recruitment and legitimacy.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:38am
bluediamond wrote:

@thermalben, as i've said all along, any media organisation and those within it as well as commenters on threads who have made themselves vocal in opposing, mocking and belittling the thoughts of those who raised concerns about the safety of the vaccines, as well as the potential conflict of interests of those promoting them, in my opinion, is yes, part of the reason good people who felt the pressurre from society, the bullying and their god given right to freedom of choice over autonomy of their body taken away from them were forced into a place of no return.
Mate i'll sleep well at night knowing i never told anyone what to do with their body, that they should be ashamed for taking the vax, that they are part of the problem for taking it, that they are selfish for taking it. You wouldn't know the effect this has on people as you haven't had to deal with being one of the minority who finds themselves opposed to a large proportion of the population. You didn't need to delete my comments as i stand by them. Make of them what you will, but i'd probably consider that a form of censorship, as i said at the time.

OK, so you've doubled down.

Just a reminder: Swellnet is a surf report/forecast/surfcam website, and we also publish surf related editorial.

For the record, I don't recall Swellnet ever publishing specific Covid-related articles where we "definitely forced your agenda and made sure swellnets voice was that of lockdown and jab".

Swellnet does have a forum - you're reading this post within it, right now - where we allow members the opportunity to start any topic of their choosing (indo-dreaming started this one in particular). We also allow other members to comment on all topics, within the boundaries of our guidelines. Sometimes, Swellnet staff engage in the comments too.

Within our forums, we allow a wide range of opinions to be heard and we encourage a robust debate on all manner of topics. However, we do not have a censorship agenda. The sheer number of your posts still visible right now is testament to that.

The 'wide range of opinions' in the forums may be contrary to yours, including those from Stu and myself.

However, you've singled out Stu and I as being responsible for the death of your friend, seemingly because we are Swellnet staff, and because we have differing views. You've also made assumptions as to our personal viewpoints on Covid-related government interventions.

I'm very sorry that your friend died. But I'm appalled that you've apportioned some of the blame to Stu and I.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:33am
stunet wrote:
burleigh wrote:
stunet wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

Are you serious?

Yes.

Look, you have your reasons to oppose the vaccine and mandates and, despite what BD accuses me of, I've never censored or ridiculed you. What I've said in the above comment is not strictly my view, rather an attempt to understand the justification for police heavy-handedness.

Clearly, the police know of what's being said on various forums, and they know who's turning up to what protests. Hint: they're not all pacifists like you Burleigh.

Now, knowing that some who oppose vaccines and mandates are capable of killing police officers and bystanders in cold blood, do you still think police should let the same people run free in a mob?

Me, I think I can understand why police would want to shut that down.

That’s dangerous territory. Muslims comes to mind.

Anyway as I said, I’ve always really respected your view even if we don’t agree on the subject but this one I can’t.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:59am
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

AndyM and toadkill also believe that listening to rap music will make you a cop killer.

Like flys on a shit they will jump on any msm article and let it control their mind.

Pathetic excuse for humans

Like flies on shit, and to be honest @burleigh, the thoughts of these two mean as much to me as where my last shit actually went after i flushed it..

That’s the way, boys. The level you post is as expected.
It’s great fun to watch you both walk back all the bs and fake news and reposted hate speech and attacks on police and Drs and politicians and medical experts now a couple of young cops and a neighbour were murdered.

Anyone complicit in promoting and spreading the crap that looney unhinged crazies listen to and believe and get fired up over hold some responsibility.

There are outcomes that come with reposting hate.

Being opposed to vaccines and questioning their validity has nothing to do with the bs you 2 clowns have promoted and posted.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:27am
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

AndyM and toadkill also believe that listening to rap music will make you a cop killer.

Like flys on a shit they will jump on any msm article and let it control their mind.

Like flies on shit, and to be honest @burleigh, the thoughts of these two mean as much to me as where my last shit actually went after i flushed it..

It’s great fun to watch you both walk back all the bs and fake news and reposted hate speech and attacks on police and Drs and politicians and medical experts now a couple of young cops and a neighbour were murdered.

Anyone complicit in promoting and spreading the crap that looney unhinged crazies listen to and believe and get fired up over hold some responsibility.

Being opposed to vaccines and questioning their validity has nothing to do with the bs you 2 clowns have promoted and posted.

Yep, you keep it up toadkill. Showing your true colours here. Your extreme views are next level pathetic.

Do you also believe:
All muslims are terrorists
All black people are thieves
Anyone listening to rap music is a cop killer
All people questioning the big pharma system are cop killers.

You're a pathetic human. Youve shown it again & again.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:30am

@thermalben in reply to your above post. Yeah i understand the way the website works but thanks for the refresher.
The post that you deleted was straight after i'd learnt the death of my friend and i was in a highly emotive state at the time. You are correct, it was wrong to single out you and Stu as being responsible in any way for that and i do apologise for that, now that the emotion is out of it.
However, i still maintain that ANYBODY that has contributed to belittling, shouting down, bullying, ridiculing and making anyone who doesn't follow the status quo of being pro vaccine as being 'the other' or an outsider, conspiracy theorist, whackjob, cooker, or whatever else gets labelled at them is complicit in pushing someone like her to her to her death. I see alot of comments on here, and they're just not nice comments. They severely put people down for just trying to have a conversation, and then, of course one thing leads to another, the conversation gets lost, and we all end up in a shouting match. And no progress is made in that convo.
For arguments sake, i'd love to know where i fit into the conspiracy theorists category on here. I'd like to know what conspiracy theory it is that i'm trying to push for. All i've been trying to get to the bottom of all along is what is this 'science' that everyone talks about trusting and where can i find it?
One more thing. I honestly would rather not read hours of medical journals, scientific studies and browse government websites for data. It's not something i would have thought i'd ever do 2 years ago. Anyway, like i said, apologies to Stu and yourself. I did feel pretty crook later having labelled you that but i guess the damage was done. I will own that.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:34am
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Yep, you keep it up toadkill. Showing your true colours here. Your extreme views are next level pathetic.

Do you also believe:

I think these are reasonable questions and definitely worthy of a response. Roadkill?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:56am
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

I think these are reasonable questions and definitely worthy of a response. Roadkill?

Judt for you, BD

All muslims are terrorists = NO

All black people are thieves = NO

Anyone listening to rap music is a cop killer = NO

All people questioning the big pharma system are cop killers = NO

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:05am
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

But you wrote this earlier:
"Anyone complicit in promoting and spreading the crap that looney unhinged crazies listen to and believe and get fired up over hold some responsibility"

One could also argue that you are promoting and spreading crap. Especially your cafe scenario
You're one big useless contradiction.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:42am
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

Roadkill I don’t know why you’d bother entertaining such ridiculous false equivalences.
It’s just these guys desperately trying to establish some sort of moral high ground when in fact they have never had any.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:57am

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:56am
Roadkill][quote=burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

But you wrote this earlier:
"Anyone complicit in promoting and spreading the crap that looney unhinged crazies listen to and believe and get fired up over hold some responsibility"

One could also argue that you are promoting and spreading crap. Especially your cafe scenario
You're one big useless contradiction.[/quote

It won’t surprise many in here that both you and BD fail to understand outcomes from what you post and are excusing yourselves from any responsibility.

Ok, for a laugh please enlighten me to my posts that you are talking about.

Or you still acting like a fly buzzing around the shit?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:58am
AndyM wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

Roadkill I don’t know why you’d bother entertaining such ridiculous false equivalences.
It’s just these guys desperately trying to establish some sort of moral high ground when in fact they have never had any.

High ground? You trying to establish a link between my posts and the cop killers and you want to discuss high ground?

LMAO

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 12:14pm
AndyM wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

They are ridiculously false equivalents and I answered politely for BD as he often complains about the lack of polite responses he gets. (Even though he himself never gives them)

So now I will ask him a polite question and hopefully he will answer.

BD, re your police officer bestie. Do you tell her she is a pawn carrying out a corrupt govt agenda? Do you send her the memes and instagram clips you post in here about the brutality from the corrupt police force? (That she is a member of). Do you tell her she uses excessive violence and brutality when she is carrying out her job?
Would you be happy to invite her in this forum to read all the hate and bs and fake news portraying cops as brutes that you have posted?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 12:16pm

In your own words, BD.

I think these are reasonable questions and definitely worthy of a response.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 12:28pm

Burls if you want to establish an equivalancy between saying "spreaders of anti-authority conspiracy theories should share some responsibility when authorities get attacked" and "all muslims are terrorists", well I think you're even further off-track than usual.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 12:30pm

"Would you be happy to invite her in this forum to read all the hate and bs and fake news portraying cops as brutes that you have posted?"

Including the now-infamous call to arms regarding police forcibly re-locating indigenous crew in the N.T.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 12:48pm
AndyM wrote:

Burls if you want to establish an equivalancy between saying "spreaders of anti-authority conspiracy theories should share some responsibility when authorities get attacked" and "all muslims are terrorists", well I think you're even further off-track than usual.

Please let me know when i've spread "anti-authority conspiracy theories" AndyM.

Feels like youre still buzzing around the shit with roadkill

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 1:29pm
stunet wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

I think by treating these people in the way police, media and much of the public has we have only pushed some to become much more extreme and increased the risk of this type of thing happening, I think demonising any group and creating an us and them mentality is dangerous.

Maybe if their concerns had been listened to more and there was more compromise in some areas especially around mandates then i think the chances of this type of thing would be much lower.

I also think it was a big mistake to keep pushing the narrative of vaccines preventing transmission when it become clear it wasn't the case, at that stage they should have been honest and said the vax isn't preventing transmission so all mandates will be dropped, while by not being honest it confirms many beliefs of being a scam etc.

BTW. when i say "these people" I'm just meaning those who didn't want to get vaxed, those against mandates or lockdowns, its a pretty broad category most are everyday normal people, but with any movement where people have lots of passion you also get nutcases too.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 2:37pm

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 3:06pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/9newsmelb/status/1602198101132984321?s=46&t=SmzL9WyT...

Huge over reaction from the police officer. The victim is clearly not a threat with three police standing in front of him relaxed. And looking at the victim would blow away in a good northerly wind.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 3:33pm

That police officer should be prosecuted for an assault and hopefully given a prison sentence. I hope this is what's happening here. You don't do that to people, he could've killed him. There are many easy methods to neutralise a target from the back.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 4:01pm

Definitely an over use of force. Cop should be censured and the piece of shit bigmouth tough guy with a Mobile filming whilst screaming and looking for a reaction should be done for being a public nuisance.

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 4:14pm

This thread should be called surfers and mental health. Obviously, the pandemic has really messed with some people's heads making them vulnerable to online misinformation and grooming. They are angry, frustrated, confused and struggling to cope with the pressures of modern-day life making them easy targets for the antivax conspiracy cult puppet masters to manipulate. Don't despair, it's never too late to crawl up the rabbit hole towards the light, smell the roses and become a semi worthwhile member of society.
Three times in my long life I have been in a life-threatening situation and looking up as I was getting repeatedly kicked in the head and seeing a cop in uniform with a gun was the best sight I've ever seen. With the way society is heading due to social media morons and their sheep like followers they need more power to protect the good folk from the low life scum. (Imho). How about a pic of a cop rescuing a cat from a tree. Cheers.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 4:51pm
old-dog wrote:

This thread should be called surfers and mental health. Obviously, the pandemic has really messed with some people's heads making them vulnerable to online misinformation and grooming. They are angry, frustrated, confused and struggling to cope with the pressures of modern-day life making them easy targets for the antivax conspiracy cult puppet masters to manipulate. Don't despair, it's never too late to crawl up the rabbit hole towards the light, smell the roses and become a semi worthwhile member of society.
Three times in my long life I have been in a life-threatening situation and looking up as I was getting repeatedly kicked in the head and seeing a cop in uniform with a gun was the best sight I've ever seen. With the way society is heading due to social media morons and their sheep like followers they need more power to protect the good folk from the low life scum. (Imho). How about a pic of a cop rescuing a cat from a tree. Cheers.

You’ve been on the ground getting the shit kicked out of you 3 times and you’re trying to give life advice.

I’ll steer clear thanks

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:01pm

That’s an arrogant response if I’ve ever heard (read) one. All hail the ever upright Burliegh!!!! Da man!

old-dog's picture
old-dog's picture
old-dog Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:03pm

Nothing like a near death experience to make you see what's important in life, you should try it sometime, life that is.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:09pm
old-dog wrote:

Nothing like a near death experience to make you see what's important in life, you should try it sometime, life that is.

So it didn’t work the first two times?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:14pm

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:57pm

Burlz,
“ Do you also believe:
All muslims are terrorists“
Total False equivalence. Having had a little bit of exposure to government de-radicalisation programs (Islamic / salafist extremism) and having then studied right-wing extremism, I can categorically state that you’re demonstrating your ignorance on this issue.

As has been highlighted by a number of comments above, there are clear indicators of radicalisation, many of which are identifiable by internet usage - both browsing histories and then online engagement. Police watch these, primarily to prevent the translation of these into violent action. Are police perfect? No. Should they be accountable for their actions? Yes. Should they be demonised? No.

There’s a lot of similarities in approaches, most of which start with the ‘innocent questions’ and lead, for those curious, inclined or vulnerable, to much darker places. There’s a degree of desensitisation of ideas that are appalling to common, decent people.

Now, that’s certainly not to suggest that all
Muslims are terrorists. In fact the opposite. Most of the community engagement and subsequent success in reducing the problem of online radicalisation was asked for and led by the community that was most affected.

The hysterical and militant anti-vax community has a lot of parallels with the online environment that led to an uptick in radicalisation. Not to say that you’re hysterical - but the lack of apparent self-policing mechanisms and I dare say self-awareness within the community is concerning.

*btw, I understand that RW extremism is seen as a greater threat in Australia than Islamic terrorism by police and security services at the moment

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:10pm

"The hysterical and militant anti-vax community"
well that's emotive speech designed to provoke a response if ever i heard it. Keep in perspective this is your opinion. And you keep banging on about your close ties/relationship and understanding of Australian government military policies (yep you were in the army). I propose being so closely aligned with the government has clouded your perspective of the bigger picture away from gubberment. Look at the Morrison government! Hardly a trustworthy bunch of leaders!!
btw..not antivax. Had my tetanus shot the other day after a hectic dog bite. Also not a pureblood. I've got so much shit in my system from years of abuse that no one would go near it. But chose not to put an expermental drug in my body that has never previously been tested on human. Does that make me antivax in your opinion? And hysterical?? If you can show me 'the science' that goes into the vaccine, i promise not to be hysterical. It shouldn't be hard to produce if it's something that you and the population have so much faith, knowledge and understanding of. I mean in this day and age, should be a click away so looking forward to seeing it!
Anyway, this isn't a debate. There's so much rigidity on the side of the pro vax, so much belittling of anyone that questions it. Makes you wonder what was in that fucking jab!
Good luck to you all that got it. And your families. Hasn't worked out so well for mine.
But all is well. The futility of debating those that have closed their ears and eyes is tiring.
Anyone that suggests people fighting for their right to autonomy of the body is somehow connected to the horrific police killings should themselves be put to trial. Scum.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:14pm
Roadkill wrote:
AndyM wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

They are ridiculously false equivalents and I answered politely for BD as he often complains about the lack of polite responses he gets. (Even though he himself never gives them)

BD, re your police officer bestie. Do you tell her she is a pawn carrying out a corrupt govt agenda? Do you send her the memes and instagram clips you post in here about the brutality from the corrupt police force? (That she is a member of). Do you tell her she uses excessive violence and brutality when she is carrying out her job?
Would you be happy to invite her in this forum to read all the hate and bs and fake news portraying cops as brutes that you have posted?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:44pm

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:34pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
AndyM wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Do you also believe:

Judt for you, BD

Can’t answer hey, BD. To answer is to expose the quality you carry. Just another obtuse keyboard cowboy tapping away…I imagine your bestie would be gone in 60 seconds if she knew what you repetitively post about cops.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:35pm
bluediamond wrote:

"The hysterical and militant anti-vax community"
well that's emotive speech designed to provoke a response if ever i heard it. Keep in perspective this is your opinion. And you keep banging on about your close ties/relationship and understanding of Australian government military policies (yep you were in the army). I propose being so closely aligned with the government has clouded your perspective of the bigger picture away from gubberment. Look at the Morrison government! Hardly a trustworthy bunch of leaders!!
btw..not antivax. Had my tetanus shot the other day after a hectic dog bite. Also not a pureblood. I've got so much shit in my system from years of abuse that no one would go near it. But chose not to put an expermental drug in my body that has never previously been tested on human. Does that make me antivax in your opinion? And hysterical?? If you can show me 'the science' that goes into the vaccine, i promise not to be hysterical. It shouldn't be hard to produce if it's something that you and the population have so much faith, knowledge and understanding of. I mean in this day and age, should be a click away so looking forward to seeing it!
Anyway, this isn't a debate. There's so much rigidity on the side of the pro vax, so much belittling of anyone that questions it. Makes you wonder what was in that fucking jab!
Good luck to you all that got it. And your families. Hasn't worked out so well for mine.
But all is well. The futility of debating those that have closed their ears and eyes is tiring.
Anyone that suggests people fighting for their right to autonomy of the body is somehow connected to the horrific police killings should themselves be put to trial. Scum.

So quick to pull the victim card. :)

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:43pm

@roadkill. Paul McDiarmid. That's my name. I hide nothing.
And your name is????

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:44pm
etarip wrote:

Chill the fuck out BD. I didn’t say that *you* were part of the hysterical and militant anti-vax community. But they definitely exist. I’m noting that there are parallels with other communities that harbour extremist views within a broader / larger discourse.

As to whether my views are clouded by previous experience - yeah, they probably are. What I saw in the deradicalisation area was a genuine concern for and protection of individual rights and liberties at a policy and practical level. I saw people (from all backgrounds) that were committed to supporting a diverse and heterogenous society, and protect religious freedoms. I saw people that genuinely gave a fuck about community and stability and kids / young adults growing up able to engage with issues of identity, religion, culture and nationality with a fighting chance that they weren’t going to end up committing acts of violence in Australia or in a pipeline to becoming ISIS cannon-fodder in Syria or one of a number of brides for a pathological ideologue 20 years senior. I worked with people who helped religious and community leaders better engage physically and virtually with young vulnerable people who were seeking knowledge online. People committed to Australia and a better society.
It was humbling. It challenged a lot of perceptions I had. And I’m fucking proud of it.

So yeah, totally brainwashed.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:47pm
bluediamond wrote:

@roadkill. Paul McDiarmid. That's my name. I hide nothing.
And your name is????

Question.

I don’t care what your name is.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:52pm
etarip wrote:
etarip wrote:

Chill the fuck out BD. I didn’t say that *you* were part of the hysterical and militant anti-vax community. But they definitely exist. I’m noting that there are parallels with other communities that harbour extremist views within a broader / larger discourse.

As to whether my views are clouded by previous experience - yeah, they probably are. What I saw in the deradicalisation area was a genuine concern for and protection of individual rights and liberties at a policy and practical level. I saw people (from all backgrounds) that were committed to supporting a diverse and heterogenous society, and protect religious freedoms. I saw people that genuinely gave a fuck about community and stability and kids / young adults growing up able to engage with issues of identity, religion, culture and nationality with a fighting chance that they weren’t going to end up committing acts of violence in Australia or in a pipeline to becoming ISIS cannon-fodder in Syria or one of a number of brides for a pathological ideologue 20 years senior. I worked with people who helped religious and community leaders better engage physically and virtually with young vulnerable people who were seeking knowledge online. People committed to Australia and a better society.
It was humbling. It challenged a lot of perceptions I had. And I’m fucking proud of it.

So yeah, totally brainwashed.

Sure thing @etarip, i'm happy to chill the fuck out, but it seems there's a distinct lack of separation between those that oppose the vaccine and those that as you point out are militant about it, and absolutely, there are people that have troubled minds that have hitched their wagon to this and every conspiracy theory on the planet.
Somehow it got lost in translation that there's a very significant proportion of the population that don't like being forced into having an experimental jab and want to know more about it, as do the scientific community. That's where people like me come in, just asking questions, wanting to know more, as it doesn't make sense.
Mate I for one thank you and send huge aloha your way for your achievements overseas and the help you have provided. As i am with police, i'm very respectful of our military. It takes guts and discipline to be on these frontlines. And the same with police. I have so much respect for what these crew have to face every day. People don't realise the domestic violence, ice addiction, mental disorders of community members that the police have to deal with 24/7. I can only imagine your position was that amplified.
Anyway, respect to you. I hope we've at least found some common ground on this and i appreciate that you always speak with authority and rationality. Go well @etarip.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:55pm

@roadkill you weird c@nt. Could you please stop talking about other people and just talk about me and to me. Keep others out of it respectfully. Thanks.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 9:59pm
bluediamond wrote:

@roadkill you weird c@nt. Could you please stop talking about other people and just talk about me and to me. Keep others out of it respectfully. Thanks.

BD, you brought others into the discussion, not me.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:01pm

BD. Thanks, and to you.
Always good to keep it civil.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:14pm
etarip wrote:

BD. Thanks, and to you.

Cheers mate. :-)

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:15pm
etarip wrote:

BD. Thanks, and to you.

Cheers mate. :-)

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:21pm
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

@Roadkill, i think its common etiquette that while we may mention others in our posts, its very poor form to try to pry into the personal lives of others. Theres a million different ways you could have approached that question without bringing others into it.
I know youve mentioned family members in your past posts. Please note the number of times ive used them for leverage in a debate. Yep...0.
Roady im loathe to rip into you, because as they say, what really irks you about someone else is what you really harbour within
So im gonna take a step back. Aloha to yoy. Youre probably a normal decent bloke that just has a different view to me.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 10:29pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

@Roadkill, i think its common etiquette that while we may mention others in our posts, its very poor form to try to pry into the personal lives of others. Theres a million different ways you could have approached that question without bringing others into it.
I know youve mentioned family members in your past posts. Please note the number of times ive used them for leverage in a debate. Yep...0.
Roady im loathe to rip into you, because as they say, what really irks you about someone else is what you really harbour within
So im gonna take a step back. Aloha to yoy. Youre probably a normal decent bloke that just has a different view to me.

He’s not normal, he rides an epoxy mini mal.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 11:19pm

BD “Mate I for one thank you and send huge aloha your way for your achievements overseas and the help you have provided. “

etarip “BD. Thanks, and to you.
Always good to keep it civil.”

Funny that etarip. When I previously genuinely thanked you for the same, AndyM was straight up my arse & you were immediately backing him up. Changed your tune mate?
Whatever…