Surfers and conspiracy theories etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Wednesday, 2 May 2018 at 8:00pm

I knew surfers weren't immune to being crazy, but a group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bryonbaysurfers/?hc_ref=ARRWDoQ3b7IDHBjx...

No i am not a member

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 1:42pm

I wonder if the top dawg burleigh surfed Burleigh last week on the big days?

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 1:50pm
gsco wrote:
stunet wrote:

Also, 12% company tax? That's less than half of the current rate, and his reasoning is that it would reduce tax evasion.

So, by similar reasoning, he's saying that Australia is currently losing more than half of its potential company tax income to evasion. That's a very serious implication. However, rather than lower the tax rate even further a reasonable person might suggest we simply close loopholes. Stop the rent seeking and profit shifting.

He never suggested lowering the company tax rate to 12%. He just mentioned Ireland and Singapore as examples of his idea for the relationship between the company tax rate and withholding tax.

And it's not about loopholes, rent seeking or profit shifting. Multinational companies are not necessarily exploiting "loopholes" in our tax system when avoiding paying tax here.

It's a question of competition and incentives due to the overall structure of our tax system.

Countries compete with each other, particularly with tax havens, to have multinational companies domiciled and paying taxes there.

Australia encourages foreign investment by multinational companies but our tax system doesn't encourage them to be domiciled and pay taxes here.

If we want multinationals to pay tax here then our tax system simply needs to be competitive in this area against the tax systems of other countries.

Alternatively we could just ban foreign investment by multinationals…?…

What are the essentials of a “competitive” tax system. If it is simply charging less tax isn’t that just another way for multinationals to pay less tax.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 2:32pm
gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 2:41pm

I think it's an interesting topic that deserves some more debate in Australia. I remember once looking into it when trying to digest the Australian Treasury Tax White Paper.

I'm not pretending to be an international tax expert, but I believe the idea of a competitive tax system is one that balances notions such as fairness and reasonable distribution of tax burden, administrative efficiency and simplicity, certainty and stability, alignment of incentives with national objectives, positive impact on productivity and employment and economic growth, environmental considerations, etc.

It's not just about reducing the tax burden on multinationals in order to incentivise them to invest, do business and report profits in the country, although this is an important consideration and it may be desirable if they are reluctant to invest and/or pay taxes in the country due to a disproportionately high tax burden.

It's about national priorities and objectives and getting the balance right for a lot of factors.

This Walters Kluwer article and this OECD working paper give an overview.

And the Tax Foundation provides an interesting annual International Tax Competitiveness Index in which Estonia tends to consistently rank the highest (but I've never looked into it all deep enough to know exactly why).

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 8:15pm

9-AEFBC84-2-E7-A-40-D8-A42-B-D81-DF4-A67091

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 13 Dec 2022 at 9:07pm
Supafreak wrote:

9-AEFBC84-2-E7-A-40-D8-A42-B-D81-DF4-A67091

I’m holding onto my retirement fund. Haha

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 12:01am

Looks like you're in a spot of bother Burls, only two climaxes in the last two years.
Erectile dysfunction?
It's all downhill now but don't sweat it, after all, you're no spring chicken.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:49am

Burleigh what was your take on Died Suddenly ?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 10:00am
udo wrote:

To be honest, if they have used footage of people collapsing pre-covid I’m not interested in watching it.

Sucks, because I’m sure it also has some great powerful info in there but if they fucked up with the footage then it’s doing more harm than good.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 10:01am
AndyM wrote:

Looks like you're in a spot of bother Burls, only two climaxes in the last two years.
Erectile dysfunction?
It's all downhill now but don't sweat it, after all, you're no spring chicken.

Don’t they call you Santa because you only come once a year?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 10:14am
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

To be honest, if they have used footage of people collapsing pre-covid I’m not interested in watching it.

Sucks, because I’m sure it also has some great powerful info in there but if they fucked up with the footage then it’s doing more harm than good.

But you have Watched it ! ?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 12:55pm
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

I watched it and can confirm there was zero “great powerful info” in it. Was 100% conspiracy bs.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 2:49pm
Roadkill wrote:
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

I watched it and can confirm there was zero “great powerful info” in it. Was 100% conspiracy bs.

Toadkill, solving mysteries everyday with his wisdom. Did you wear a mask while watching?

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 4:40pm
udo wrote:
burleigh wrote:
udo wrote:

But you have Watched it ! ?

I’m not going to watch it

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 7:15pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 7:24pm
Wilhelm Scream wrote:

“We know that belief in conspiracy theories makes people more likely to partake in everyday crime, and makes them feel like society is breaking down and getting worse or is in decay...”

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/12/14/queensland-wieambilla-shooting-cons...

...so that means the democrats and co.'believing' everything 'is' a conspiracy theory - and portarying EVERYTHINGi as such... that makes them the dangerous ones...

ok, got it!

(geez its hard to know where to turn, in this crazy little epoch...)

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 7:34pm

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 7:40pm

Covid is kicking off now in China, will be a tough winter. And a challenge for the CCP after saying they would protect the population and how crazy the West was losing control of the virus.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63944861.amp

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:23pm
bluediamond wrote:

https://twitter.com/TheMilkBarTV/status/1578335031126528001

I will never forget BD.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:27pm

The man at centre of ‘execution-style’ shooting
Gareth Train seemed to refer to the COVID vaccine as a “neurological bio-weapon”.

“The majority of Australians are still deaf, dumb and blind having now injected themselves with a neurological bio-weapon which will soon be fully activated for total control and monitoring, if they don’t drop dead,” he wrote.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:34pm
udo wrote:

Gareth Train seemed to refer to the COVID vaccine as a “neurological bio-weapon”.

“The majority of Australians are still deaf, dumb and blind having now injected themselves with a neurological bio-weapon which will soon be fully activated for total control and monitoring, if they don’t drop dead,” he wrote.

What a fkng tool.
At least he could have kept his cookery on the swellnet forum pages instead of ambushing and executing young cops and innocent neighbours.
Pureblood. Don’t count for much now.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:41pm
etarip wrote:
udo wrote:

What a fkng tool.
At least he could have kept his cookery on the swellnet forum pages instead of ambushing and executing young cops and innocent neighbours.

Are you saying anyone who chose not to get jabbed and who questions the motives of those pushing it are to be the scapegoats of two innocent police being shot. That's pretty messed up if so and i really hope that's not what you're getting at.
They also used ice. Does that make me a probable junkie too??

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:51pm

Actuaries have come up with a report on excess mortality. Have yet to have the time to read it fully, but will put it up for interest for you all

https://www.actuaries.digital/2022/12/07/covid-19-mortality-working-grou...

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:52pm
etarip wrote:
udo wrote:

What a fkng tool.

What an absolutely fucked up thing to say.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 8:57pm
etarip wrote:
udo wrote:

What a fkng tool.

You only have to read the covidiots comments in here to know how easily people are fooled and get down the rabbit hole.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:03pm
Roadkill wrote:
etarip wrote:
udo wrote:

What a fkng tool.

You only have to read the covidiots comments in here to know how easily people are fooled and get down the rabbit hole.

Roadkill the legend just casually solving crimes on swellnet. Is there anything he can't do?

Speaking of fooled...... you taken your mum to any cafes recently?

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:13pm

Sorry burlz. It was meant to be a compliment of sorts.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:25pm
etarip wrote:

I'm struggling to see the humor or connotations in yours and Wilhelms posts.
One of my best friends is a 23 year old female police officer in her 1st year of full time policing.
To even remotely suggest that myself or Burleigh or anyone else that question the jab are somehow complicit in this makes me sick. Clarification of your post is warranted.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:26pm

"casually solving crimes on swellnet."

No self-awareness there Burlz?

That seems to be the M.O. of conspiracy theorists generally, to see the real truth where the experts can't or won't, to be the point man and gallant saviour where the masses have been fooled.
Definite messiah complex at times amongst conspiracy theorists, kinda goes with the modern fashion of narcissism.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:38pm

Interesting to watch the covidiots excuse their contribution to spreading bs and promoting conspiracy amongst those who share the same bias.

Now…it’s not our fault. Don’t blame us.

Clowns.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:44pm
bluediamond wrote:
etarip wrote:

One of my best friends is a 23 year old female police officer in her 1st year of full time policing.
To even remotely suggest that myself or Burleigh or anyone else that question the jab are somehow complicit in this makes me sick. Clarification of your post is warranted.

I wouldn't say that anti-Covid vaxxers specifically are complicit in this but I think dedicated conspiracy theorists are.
This rejection and contempt of law and authority, and the constant undermining of our liberal democracy has a lot to answer for - this shooting is clearly the extreme end of people like the violent thugs who protested in Melbourne.
It's the pointy end.
Hope you fellas are satisfied, shit like this was always going to be the result.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 9:47pm
Roadkill wrote:

Interesting to watch the covidiots excuse their contribution to spreading bs and promoting conspiracy amongst those who share the same bias.

Now…it’s not our fault. Don’t blame us.

Clowns.

Agreed.

It's all brainless push and agitate, then when the shit hits the fan it's all "it's got
nothing to do with me".
Fucking retards.
What do they think is going to happen?

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 14 Dec 2022 at 10:19pm

This is a new low, even for you @Andy M. Think about what you're actually implying about good people who refused to get jabbed and decided to actually question it. What a disgusting connection to draw from that. Like i said, i spent most of yesterday with a heavy heart thinking this could have just as easily been my friend. I'm assuming you think all muslims are bad also because of the very few that commit terrorist acts? etc etc etc.
And conspiracy theorist? You mean crew who are still pushing their 'safe and effective' jab. Lets see how that one plays out for you as it seems the odds are increasingly stacked against that argument.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:30am

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 5:29am
etarip wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
etarip wrote:

Clarification? I never inferred that anyone was complicit. I did suggest that the spectrum of conspiracy theorists includes those that push their ideas on the net and those that undertake acts of violence against others.

Were you sad about the murder of the police officers because one of them was young and female and reminded you of your friend or because this was a targeted act of violence by three radicalised individuals who believe that they were the victims of a deep state conspiracy? There’s two separate tragedies here.

Now, I’m not holding anyone on Swellnet ‘responsible’ here, but I am pointing out that participation in promoting and spreading conspiracy theories feeds the ecosystem that spawned this behaviour.

The role of the internet in radicalising people toward extremes is well documented.

The use of the term ‘pureblood’ might be offensive to you in this context. It’s offensive to me in pretty much any other context. Think about why that might be.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 6:19am
bluediamond wrote:
etarip wrote:

bluediamond,

In September you posted that Stu and I had "blood on our hands" because "an old friend took her life purely because of the Covid lockdowns and the trauma it place on her at her time and in her place".

Your reasoning being that Stu and I "definitely forced your agenda and made sure swellnets voice was that of lockdown and jab".

Whilst your post was deleted (by me) before most people got to see it - for which you then taunted us about the next morning - it's not the first time you've made personal accusations like this.

How do you reconcile your comments from September with your comments from yesterday?

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 6:53am

@etarip wrote "Were you sad about the murder of the police officers because one of them was young and female and reminded you of your friend or because this was a targeted act of violence by three radicalised individuals who believe that they were the victims of a deep state conspiracy? There’s two separate tragedies here."
You have to be joking right? What sort of question is that?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 6:54am
bluediamond wrote:

This is a new low, even for you @Andy M. Think about what you're actually implying about good people who refused to get jabbed and decided to actually question it. What a disgusting connection to draw from that. Like i said, i spent most of yesterday with a heavy heart thinking this could have just as easily been my friend. I'm assuming you think all muslims are bad also because of the very few that commit terrorist acts? etc etc etc.
And conspiracy theorist? You mean crew who are still pushing their 'safe and effective' jab. Lets see how that one plays out for you as it seems the odds are increasingly stacked against that argument.

NFI as usual

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 6:56am
bluediamond wrote:

The continued posting of this bs really is lost on you, BD

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:00am

I just replied to you Ben but it got deleted. I'll try again.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:06am

@thermalben, as i've said all along, any media organisation and those within it as well as commenters on threads who have made themselves vocal in opposing, mocking and belittling the thoughts of those who raised concerns about the safety of the vaccines, as well as the potential conflict of interests of those promoting them, in my opinion, is yes, part of the reason good people who felt the pressurre from society, the bullying and their god given right to freedom of choice over autonomy of their body taken away from them were forced into a place of no return.
Mate i'll sleep well at night knowing i never told anyone what to do with their body, that they should be ashamed for taking the vax, that they are part of the problem for taking it, that they are selfish for taking it. You wouldn't know the effect this has on people as you haven't had to deal with being one of the minority who finds themselves opposed to a large proportion of the population. You didn't need to delete my comments as i stand by them. Make of them what you will, but i'd probably consider that a form of censorship, as i said at the time.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:10am
bluediamond wrote:

@etarip wrote "Were you sad about the murder of the police officers because one of them was young and female and reminded you of your friend or because this was a targeted act of violence by three radicalised individuals who believe that they were the victims of a deep state conspiracy? There’s two separate tragedies here."

Nah, I’m not joking. It’s a genuine question.
Your original post inferred that what made it sad for you was that one of the victims reminded you of your friend.

It doesn’t make it any less tragic if the two cops killed were 50 year old officers. Let alone the neighbour who went to investigate. Affinity bias is a thing.

You can question the vaccine and lockdowns, sure that’s healthy social discourse. To be clear - I’m not saying that you personally condone violence because of this.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:12am

AndyM and toadkill also believe that listening to rap music will make you a cop killer.

Like flys on a shit they will jump on any msm article and let it control their mind.

Pathetic excuse for humans

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:47am
etarip wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

Nah, I’m not joking. It’s a genuine question.
Your original post inferred that what made it sad for you was that one of the victims reminded you of your friend.

It doesn’t make it any less tragic if the two cops killed were 50 year old officers. Let alone the neighbour who went to investigate. Affinity bias is a thing.

You can question the vaccine and lockdowns, sure that’s healthy social discourse. To be clear - I’m not saying that you personally condone violence because of this.

Mate, a woman fell off a cruise ship and died yesterday and i had a heavy heart for her too. She reminded me of noone i knew. I have a heavy heart for anyone that loses their life. The fact you get on your high horse and actually question where my sympathy for people who have lost their lives comes from is ridiculous. Who do you think you are??

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 7:48am
burleigh wrote:

AndyM and toadkill also believe that listening to rap music will make you a cop killer.

Like flys on a shit they will jump on any msm article and let it control their mind.

Pathetic excuse for humans

Like flies on shit, and to be honest @burleigh, the thoughts of these two mean as much to me as where my last shit actually went after i flushed it..

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:02am
bluediamond wrote:

It's crazy how quickly all this has been forgotten I'm honestly kind of shocked it didn't play a factor in the Vic election, if these protestors were protesting any other issue they would never be treated like this and people would be in uproar including many here.

Dont get me wrong in general i think protestors that are causing inconvenience to the public and making themselves a nuisance are generally treated by police too soft, but in this case it became the opposite you literally had rubber bullets and tear gas used, it just seems like such a double standard on how protestors are treated depending on the topic they are protesting.

I didn't agree with them on many aspects, but i still understood personal rights had been violated and people losing jobs and business because of over the top rules they were real issues that affected them that they were protesting about if any of us had lost jobs or business over this we would have likely done the same.

Anyway its crazy how so much of this has been quickly forgotten and how we have demonised these people for their views.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 15 Dec 2022 at 8:04am

@indo agreed. Not sure how he got re-elected.