Big Wave World Tour

middy's picture
middy started the topic in Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 5:54pm

Streaky Bay District Council Minutes August 2013 Indicates Jeff Schmucker has spoken to council about a proposed ASP Big Wave Comp. Here's the link:
https://www.streakybay.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Minutes%202013-...
At this stage it is just a proposal. It would be an annual event and part of an ASP sanctioned Big Wave Tour. There will be a stakeholder meeting to be held later in the month.

middy's picture
middy's picture
middy Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 5:46pm

Jug , not sure about 10 points but some perspective fr someone whose been surfing and living here for 35 yrs. You could argue apart from Indigenous people , we are all Blow-ins. stretch a ruler to 2 mtrs and mark the last 10cms and that's how long Europeans have been here. be it the Kimberly or Eyre Peninsula Indigenous culture has managed to survive despite the last 200years. 20,000 yrs ago these waves did' not exist. The last great Glaciel Age saw the shorline stretch to where Tasmania now resides. Dreaming Stories reference these great geological changes. Localism is overused in these discussions but it would be fair to acknowledge South Australia' s Eyre Peninsula has A strong Surfing Culture. Christo Reid's Reid's book Cactus Adventures in Solitude has recorded its genesis and as in nearly all great surfing areas, surfing was brought in by people from elsewhere. I can assure you that surfing at Cactus, Streaky, Elliston in the 70's,80's and 90's was filled with characters from every state in Australia and new Zealand. The Line- ups were typically competitive aggressive Aussie style like every good Break. were no born and bred locals. they came later. Surfing was brought here just as it was everywhere else. The arguments around environmental impacts of our coastlines start with acknowledging surfers can leave an increasingly negative footprint. More resources, bigger toys. Gone are the days of the HQ. and tents, 20 litres of water and a jaffle iron. Now it's Internet weather forecasts, video clips of every spot, etc. There is no denying change has come hard and fast and of course it will,continue . This may be more about a surfing community staring down the barrel of the future and having a say in it. That seems reasonable. Being organised gives the surfers a voice. They have done that, it' s the only legitimate way to move forward. To Gary Linden and the ASP's credit they akvnowledge the surfing community as a central stakeholder. Gary came and saw. He had some great surfs and made himself available and never ran for cover. I agree it' s time to accept people can have a range of opinions without getting hated.

careforthecoast's picture
careforthecoast Saturday, 5 Oct 2013 at 8:30am

In regards to 10 points for a contest there are not that many. Short term some extra funding may become available to build walkways / stairs ect in some locations up and down the coast
where needed. One area has already had a cliff collapse and a bloke from lincoln almost lost his life.
Some of the enviro concerns include the safety of travellers / local surfers and there are a few areas along the coast that need to be addressed before a major catastrophe occurs.
These issues need to be addressed regardless of a contest or not. At present we all use these areas at our own risk.
A not for is the surfing community of the west coast do not want any contest. Except for a handful and that all it is seriously for whatever reason they have want it.
if ASP wishes to push with council for this they will be going against the wishes of the majority.
This is something that potentially could bring division in a small community.
The culture of recreational surfing on the west coast is what is at stake also. The west coast has its own brand of tourism which is pristine rugged beauty relatively untouched and free from contests ect.
A great destination for any traveler's the way it already is.
The right type of tourism promotion is needed not contest.
Im very aweare there are many travelers who want to see the coast remain the same.

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 9:01am

@jug ..surely if you flicked thru the last 26 pages I think it would be simple to come up with a summary of them as there is basically all against and maybe one certain local that is for it........THERE CAN BE NO GOOD COME FROM A CONTEST HELD ANYWHERE ON THIS PART OF THE COAST AS THE GLOBAL EXPOSURE WILL RUIN THE COAST FOREVER..if people cant understand this than maybe they have headbutted too many reefs in the past..

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 9:18am

The ASP want to come into our backyard and change the dynamics forever and expect US to come up with reasons acceptable to THEM why we should not have a comp. That's absurd. They are the ones on the sell here, THEY should be giving us the reasons it's a good idea and provide information etc and then given a yes or no answer. End of story.
Half the association have been contacted so far and a yes vote is yet to be lodged.
Will be officially finished in a day or two once all members have been contacted.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 9:32am

It is absurd isn't it roger. But these guys are experts at turning it around to make it seem like they are the only logical person in the room.

I think Jughead is just chompin at the bit for another photo opportunity, fly in fly out, woohoo look what I did for tourism.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 9:44am

Just classic used car salesman tactics. Just shows how professional surfing these days is a sales and marketing machine first and foremost and a surf contest second. They don't give a shit about recreational surfing for a reason they would not understand 'fun'. They only support 'grass roots' surfing to uncover and market the next big thing. This whole process has turned me into a bit of a cynic I only have one little voice in my head and he doesn't trust the ASP at all.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 9:50am

Jug how about you get your swag and head up to the Kimberly and let us worry about the west coast environment. We got nothing to sell.
And bugger that journo if anyone wants their opinions on record why would they contact a journo who can choose which parts of their comments in which order sound best. Just post em on here and put it how you want it.

sandspit's picture
sandspit's picture
sandspit Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 10:07am

i know that its possible for newspapers to take comments out of context and make the story seem different to what it really is. but no matter how you present tobin's comments, its hard to change the meaning of what he said to the newspaper. i just had a read of them again and it seems that he thinks the comp could be a good idea. what could he have meant otherwise after what he said?

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 10:43am

He said the comp ' could have some benefits' not could be a good idea. His comments on the reasons NOT to have the comp were left out. The comment about us leaving the meeting thinking it wasn't a bad idea was made by the surfing sa guy not Tobin if you read it properly. The surfing sa rep is qualified to speak of what he thinks but as far as what out thoughts were after the meeting ask us not him. The comment about the surfers not being born here and being hypocrites etc. was totally played with to look bad. Tobin said that around half of us were born somewhere else and fell in love with the place and moved our families here and do not oppose tourism as to do so would be hypocritical as we too years ago were tourists.
We will have our vote then fight for our members decision.
Tobin has taken a lot upon himself and should be commended for the job he is doing for us

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Sunday, 6 Oct 2013 at 3:53pm

Morris
Well done
A couple seconds of fame for you there.
I was just trying to see both sides of the argument without all the finger pointing bullshit.
But like a lot of what's written here, I see more people trying to get a mark on the board by discrediting someone than actually making a valid point themselves.
Good to see all you hardcore surfers trolling this website sponsored by big companies.
Supporting those you appose.
I don't need any excuse for photos, i've had heaps, can drive in and out, I'll take some of my own shots too if I like. .
Don't know if I saw you down there last winter, but some members of the west coast boardriders were driving their ski through the line up. Highly hypocritical, considering what's written above.

All the best, hope its a fair outcome for the whole community.

and thanks to all the boogers for finding so many waves and publishing them Makes it easy for everyone.

kellyslater's picture
kellyslater's picture
kellyslater Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 2:39am

Morris
Well done
A couple seconds of fame for you there.
I was just trying to see both sides of the argument without all the finger pointing bullshit.
But like a lot of what's written here, I see more people trying to get a mark on the board by discrediting someone than actually making a valid point themselves.
Good to see all you hardcore surfers trolling this website sponsored by big companies.
Supporting those you appose.
I don't need any excuse for photos, i've had heaps, can drive in and out, I'll take some of my own shots too if I like. .
Don't know if I saw you down there last winter, but some members of the west coast boardriders were driving their ski through the line up. Highly hypocritical, considering what's written above.

All the best, hope its a fair outcome for the whole community.

and thanks to all the boogers for finding so many waves and publishing them Makes it easy for everyone.

By: "jughead"

hi jug head don't know you or anyone else who this thread affects at all, but anywhere waves/coastlines get exposed the good waves on that stretch get crowded. local knowledge/fickle waves get surfed/crowded as well. So from someone who has neverbeen, to west coast sa ( and prob never will)expect best waves to be always crowded every time there is swell there will be blow in and photos seeking fame, there area is untapped, hope it doesn't happen .....

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 10:43am

Jughead you know better than most about chasing a few seconds of fame and those who have dealt with you know which camp you sit in.
You hope for a fair outcome for the community do you? Hasn't really been something you have bothered with much in the past.
Next breath you are supporting the boogers who blow through like locust plagues and exposure these communities surf breaks for their 5 minutes. Clearly the don't have any consideration for a fair outcome or respect local values.

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 2:51pm

hi kellyslater troll, don't know why you'd address me in your opinion,
i was just the last person on the forum.

ooops,
sorry redneck, i was being a little sarcastic about the boogers.
I thought guys like yourself would have been onto them a long time back.
Thanks for trying to discredit me, you sound alot like the others whinging on here and like them with nothing of actual substance in your rant. You could be possibly like the others supporting the big companies and whinging about them in the same breath, however I'll let you decide that one. You're on this webpage wich is advertising the Yorke classic sponsored by a beer company and one of the evil clothing brands many on here speak of.
I do however honestly hope the local council, west coast boardriders and mr Linden come to an agreement favorable to all.
And a few seconds of fame? i actually enjoy the travel and surfing i do and don't really care about the few seconds you've noticed it. Not about you redneck, i do it for the people I've met, the waves i've surfed, and the enjoyment and memories I've had along the way. It by far outways the negative people like yourself who've tried to have their own couple of seconds of fame by being negative towards something that isn't their way of thinking.
Put a smile on ya face, stop being grumpy, enjoy what ya got while ya got it.
Ya just never know what might happen, ya might just realise what lifes about!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 3:14pm

Your a sponsored surfer, every photo opportunity leads to the next surf trip, if there wasn't a contest or a photographer it is less likely you would bother traveling as there would be no sponsors to pay for it all. Of course you would like an outcome that is favourable to all, because you need the contest and you are part of the minority that will lie and cheat to get what they want.
Well there's my few seconds of fame. :-)

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 3:25pm

I'll just be a few second Juggy, don't want to take all the fame away from you, Na doesn't matter, can't be bother. Shaun took the word out of my mouth anyways. ;-)

careforthecoast Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 4:02pm

Talking with WC boardriders members the only favourable agreement will be no contest. It would be very irresponsible of ASP to push with council and the contest proposer JS to potentially be the cause of division in a community.
As for rumours around the traps of cactus crew being for any contest " because it not near them " . Is completely untrue. There has been a certain individual going around town stating this. One of his many antics is to attempt to bend the truth to work things to his own advantage . The boys up the beach are opposed to the idea also.

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 4:26pm

with 609 posts next to your name shaun, you've gone for more than just a few seconds of fame there!
do any of those posts have anything constructive to say or they're just more shit hiding from the fact your just whinging about nothing and you have no relevant justification for that whinging
No stickers on my board shaun, You couldn't be further from the truth.
but like most things you grumpy haters write, you know very little of anything other than how to be a negative whinger.
keep supporting the big companies you appose, you obviously have more time under ya belts on the internet than in the water.
I'm off to indo, keep crying about nothing and put a smiley face at the end of it,
your definately winning the whinging.
pretty sure i'll have forgotten your funny couple of seconds of fame by this time tomorrow

hope the boogers don't keep exposing more of your coast while ya on the net crying about someone asking what the pros and cons of the original discussion are

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 4:31pm

geez jug, came in late just to say a little and get roasted.......hey fellas jug is about the enjoyment of it all.......firefighters earn a very decent wage, justen sponsorship is very miniscule and the man has travelled the globe chasing waves through out his life mostly out of his own pocket....every photo opp leads to the next surf trip, well that's fuckin wank, did anyone read nick carrolls post on realsurf re s.a. w coast locals ? thermal I know you did - the link ?

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 10:55pm

Our association vote Is a No.
Gary lindens exact words were no comp if we don't want it. I believe from my meetings with him he is a surfer at heart and an honourable man. Will keep you posted of their reaction to our position.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 11:05pm

We have been elected to act on behalf of our members. They have voted NO CONTEST.
We would love to be consulted on our ideas about alternative models for sustainable tourism but ultimately our goal us to stop this contes as per our members wishes. Everyone needs to keep a cool head at the moment as if what Gary and the ASP are on record as saying is true they will take our decision on board and move on somewhere else. If they still want to force this in us we will have to adjust our tactics.

careforthecoast Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 11:13pm

Pros and cons. I think redneck summed it up perfectly in a previous post. The pros are for the pros and asp ect... the cons are for everyone else.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 11:14pm

Your making yourself look like a knob jug. Plenty of heart felt comments been posted on this thread if you wanna take the time to scroll back.

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Monday, 7 Oct 2013 at 11:47pm

Your the one got elected to act, you've acted like a knob!
I'm on the east coast and have nothing at all to do with the contest
Read about it first here after I got told I had signed a pettition
So I thought I'd just see what it was about and ask out loud what the pros and cons were.
No threats, just a simple question
The knobs Ramjet are those who accuse me of being contest minded without knowing my agenda
Also those who label some that tow in and drive jetskis through a line up but accept those who are in the west coast Boardriders who actually do the same thing.
The knobs appose the contest, and write about it on the website which advertises the Yorkes classic
The knobs appose the big companies, who advertise on the website they're adding to the forum.
The knobs are that blinded by themselves, they wouldn't even know that their whinging about a person who hasn't even said or thought if he'd agree either way, but these knobs are so paranoid that everyone's out to take something away from them.
These knobs are doing the best they can to take it from themselves.
Take the time to look back what I've written ramjet,
Quote my contest agenda anywhere on the web or anywhere for that matter.
You can't.
Fact is ramjet, I got on here to see what it was about
Just realised
It's about you and your cronies being knobs, cause all I did was ask a question.

drjeffie-mrhyde_2's picture
drjeffie-mrhyde_2 Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 12:26am

JEFFIE: Looks like we have made a friend here hyde
HYDE: Yeah for sure need some more them been runnin a bit low on the friends front lately.

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 6:08am

Maybe start a new thread ' is jug a knob'
That way it can be all about you buddy and this one can be about the comp

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 8:17am

Have a nice time in indo junkhead, no doubt your trip will be well documented.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 9:13am

Someone get Jug a box of tissues. When you popped up I couldn't help myself.

My definition of a "Knob" could be someone who chases the photo limelight and has attempted to do so in communities he knew did not want it even after local crew have let him know how they feel about it.

A visitor to an area who would value his own agenda over the wishes of the local people.

But no apparently thats not you so I apologise for my absurd accusations.

So the vote is NO. Good luck boys lets hope the majority wishes carries some weight.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 10:56am

just for the record..that was not Kelly Slater who posted.....

and pros and cons of a BWWT are easy

Pros..increase number of surfers everytime there is swell,so local busness's should see a 1% increase in sales....and maybe a local hero will get a free wettie,or a few peanuts thrown at them for a short period of time.....which if there is a peanut shortage can come in very handy!

so there would be a rapid acceleration in the numbers of surfers surfing the West Coast,film crews from all over the world would be given the green light to come and commercially expose,and market all surf spots....

Cons...the same as above......

if you want to rapidly increase the surf population in your area....well the BWWT could be for you..

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 11:01am

Chin up Jug , just upload another wave of the day pic of yourself "charging" another mysto slab , that should help the self esteem and maybe even get that sponsorship you so deserve, maybe kleenex even?

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Tuesday, 8 Oct 2013 at 11:16am

Brutus there would be no shortage of peanuts with that type of exposure.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 1:35pm

whats the news??

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:01pm

I heard this afternoon from a member of the Mid-West Boardriders Association that the Big Wave World Tour event will not be going ahead. It sounded like it was a definite no-go. Great news in my opinion;)

mwcsra-inc's picture
mwcsra-inc's picture
mwcsra-inc Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:26pm

Mid West Coast Surf Riders Association.INC

We are a local association that is a voice for recreational surfers, committed to protecting the fragile coastline in its natural state, free from exploitation to ensure it continues as a destination of spirited adventure into to future.

Over the past few weeks there has been much discussion over the proposed big wave world tour event coming to Streaky Bay.
As an association we have made an overwhelming majority decision to vote for NO contest.
The most apparent reason among many is.
The identity of the recreational surfing culture of the west coast of SA will be lost forever by bringing with it a competitive nature into the water where surfers here are relaxed friendly and share waves.
We think surfing is mature enough now to have a conversation about what great surfing areas are left in the world that need to be set aside for everyone to enjoy recreationally.
learning from the past we must realise this as one of the last remaining frontiers in Australia and the world that offers a unique surfing experience as it is and always has been.
We would like to thank Gary Linden from California BWWT. And Dane Jordan ASP Australia.
Gary came down and spent ten days with the community and surfers and gained much respect in the surfing community.
He was true to his word and supports our decision of no contest and the reasons we have stated why not.
Also Dane we thank for coming down and taking your time to meet with stakeholders and support our decision and reasons for no contest.
We feel Gary and Dane ASP have handled this situation well and respectfully. Thank you.
Best Regards
Andrew Joy
President MWCSRA.INC

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:40pm

so cow bombie it is then.

m-c-surfboards's picture
m-c-surfboards's picture
m-c-surfboards Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 9:33am

Congrats to Andrew and the MWCSRA,for presenting a good logical argument to why not to have the BWWT on the West Coast.

very impressed by all you guys and also Gary Linden and the ASP.....now lets just go surfing again.....well done!

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 10:45am

Cheers M C. Also worth acknowledging your help and also the help and advice we received from other board riding groups in other states like west oz and vicco. Thanks fellas.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 11:57am

I can't believe it's true! Big respect to Gary Lindon, could've copped the bad publicity and continued planning but perhaps the ASP is more accountable now it's a private enterprise? Regardless, the mission down here and his conduct earn this fella kudos with me.

In the coming months, let's use this win to springboard a coastal management role for the MWCSRA and WEPSA. Would be worth lodging the coastline for a world surfing reserve, the whole peninsular for recreational surfing only. With support from the ASP this is a bloody good opportunity.

Well done and thankyou for all who gave their time and went through the stress of fighting this. It aint easy and I sure wasn't strong enough to stand up this time... So good on ya's and keep up the momentum. Just like Slater's visit mobilized crew into action use this to explain to local government that even the ASP recognize this coast should not be exposed the way other destinations have. The "unique brand" is and will be a viable argument to express the reasons no commercial surfing is allowed on the coast.

So to all the would be pro's, pro's and all you photographers: Leave your bullshit at home. Bring your board and some froth and don't bring a sell out attitude.

Also, after copping the Schmucker on the phone and prodding on facebook, i'm stoked to see this silly mans plan come crashing down. You're alienated man, people literally fuckin hate you and you leave the legacy of this to your children... Who are all champions. Take some time to think about this Jeff. If you want the circus, don't be lazy, go to Hawaii or the Goldy. No need to change the reason your ancestors lived here just so your commercial mentality feels safe and justified.

m-c-surfboards's picture
m-c-surfboards's picture
m-c-surfboards Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 1:25pm

Zeph...your even handed approach did contribute on these forums in showing everyone that logic can win over....yes there is a personal cost,as there is in most fights...

Now the result justufys the negatives yewwwww

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 2:05pm

I was informed of this debate by another member participating in this discussion/forum the other day, this got me thinking so i decided to vote against it on the petition site and have a look in here to see what people were saying for and against.

As a part time resident of the Eyre and full time resident of Margs i agree and am happy they are looking at Cow Bom instead of Y Bom.

Although many would argue the potential trade for the community etc and places like streaky benefiting commercially from exposure and tourism etc (which would personally suit me as we intend to move there soon) i see the negatives outweigh the positives in this case as what the Eyre means and is worth to many cannot be valued or be measured in a commercial sense.

The Eyre is a place of escapism and one of the only places left that gives you a frontier like feeling when exploring it. You have to travel, the breaks in many cases are hard to find, it is freezing cold in winter and lethally hot in summer. To take advantage and go off the beaten track you need a 4WD and should definately take recovery gear & water ... i think most can see where im going with this.

I am of the opinion that everyone should be welcome at any surf break, but always with respect and a smile. If you are surfing a hollow and challenging reef and it is your turn you go, if you pull back go to the end of the line, if most people follow the rules there is never a problem and everyone gets thier share. A contest with exposure potentially could bring a dynamic (or make the Eyre known to them) that would not fit in with this basic code of respect and this code is important and part of the culture in places like the Eyre.

I can name a few places that I have been to early before the masses moved in - certain reefs in South Coast NSW, P Pass in Micronesia, South Sumatra & Sumba to name a few. At these places the crowds have now increased to the point that it would be unlikely to get the breaks with four heads in the line up as was the case not that long ago. You can still experience this around the Eyre on any given day. Another scenario and a good comparison would be to look at Gnaraloo/Bluff and the influx of pro's that hit it during a good swell run ... I counted 65 heads at tombstones one morning this year and prob 15-20 at centres, many of them hitting it for the swell then taking off.

Preserve and protect one of the last frontiers for future generations, nothing beats perfect uncrowded waves, people flying in every swell would defiantely ruin what the Eyre represents to many.

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 4:06pm

Personally I find it devastating that the BWWT has decided to pull the pin..It would have been great to see guys at the top of their game taking on the bombie..A massive blow to the local community and a victory for selfish-self/centred so called 'locals' who are blow-ins anyway.
As any surffanatic would know..most of these places are now all over the net or on at least 10 dvd's.in every issue of a surf mag coming out these days.pro's from Mark Mathews through to Kelly through to Noa Deane are coming over anyway..can anyone say how the fantastic noodle event effected their surf-livelihood?
Dion Atkinson has as much blown it open as anyone!
How can someone from Elliston have a say about how streaky should run their shit?or Lincoln? or Adelaide?
Its not going to stop crew coming over to get footage or 'the shot'..
But hey well done fellas now you can poo-man as many waves as you want!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 4:25pm

jeff, apart from you and jessiah are there any other true born and bred locals that wanted the comp ?

drjeffie-mrhyde_2 Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm

JEFFIE: Ohh yeah that juggy dude think he was pretty keen for contest.
HYDE: Look jeffie he aint born and breed.
JEFFIE: Thats right f**k him any way who can we find that will support us and us.
HYDE: Maybe start ringing around.
JEFFIE: OK but my phone broken again havent heard from anyone for ages.
HYDE; you tried that excuse before. Try a happy face :) never know someone may even smile bak.

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 5:17pm

Personally I find it devastating that the BWWT has decided to pull the pin..It would have been great to see guys at the top of their game taking on the bombie..A massive blow to the local community and a victory for selfish-self/centred so called 'locals' who are blow-ins anyway.
As any surffanatic would know..most of these places are now all over the net or on at least 10 dvd's.in every issue of a surf mag coming out these days.pro's from Mark Mathews through to Kelly through to Noa Deane are coming over anyway..can anyone say how the fantastic noodle event effected their surf-livelihood?
Dion Atkinson has as much blown it open as anyone!

How can someone from Elliston have a say about how streaky should run their shit?or Lincoln? or Adelaide?
Its not going to stop crew coming over to get footage or 'the shot'..
But hey well done fellas now you can poo-man as many waves as you want!

By: "wcgland"

wcgland, what is your opinion/view and or fact on the massive blow for the local community? Is it an opportunity to compete in the event, potential revenue it may raise, lifting streaky bays profile etc etc?

I am only a part time resident, that may change in the the future. After being in and around the town I would be comfortable to bet good money that most of the locals i have met in that time (not to sure if they were blow ins etc like myself) would be opposed to the event.

Interested to hear your view seeing that you are in the thick of it.

pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 5:21pm

I guess you find it "personally devastating" weakJeffgland because you no doubt had at least a few vested interests in it going ahead.
How dare anyone but yourself have a say in anything in "your" area.
All those tourists your trying to bring to town, they're born n inbred like yourself?
Good result for SA and it sets a great precedent for other areas to have a voice.
Look forward to visiting soon,
Peace

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Saturday, 12 Oct 2013 at 10:18am

Well done to all parties who took on the challenge to stop the BWWT event. Now is the time to capitalise on this win for the future, because I can guarantee if you do not, in a few years there will be another push for global competition and free market domination on the coast from the surfing industry.

Gary Linden, for all his good will and honesty is an aging man, he will not be the one calling the shots in this matter forever.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Saturday, 12 Oct 2013 at 10:26am

Great result that a local community can have its voice heard. And hats off to gary Linden and the ASP for first considering then respecting them and their viewpoint.

Out of necessity I can see this as the future where local surf communities push an agenda of preserving and protecting. Most are not against visiting surfers and nor should they be but visiting an area needs to be done in the right way.

And the right way is respecting how they do things in their area.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Saturday, 12 Oct 2013 at 11:42am

Congrats to the surfers on the west coast and the community in general , great to see diplomacy in action and a positive result for local surfers rather than industry and promoters (for a change). As stated by many above, nobody needs another coastline exposed (any more than it has been anyhow). WA= fly in fly out pros all over it everytime the forecaster call it, Gnaraloo, Margs bombies, WA Sth coast slabs all the same and everytime a circus without fail. The Eyre peninsula is really not much harder to access than WA so a bullet dodged for now. As for comp at Cow bombie, best tides for cow are at the least constant swell time (summer) here and also the best time for big surf in the northern hemisphere , plus winds which are always an issue in WA esp summer,long range hard to pic "surfable" hours out there much less a day or days in a row to hold a contest. Dreaming

careforthecoast Saturday, 12 Oct 2013 at 9:42pm

As we move into an era of surfing where the culture of grass roots surfing is changing. Surfers should become more aware for the need for coast that should be recognized as sanctuary s for recreational surfing.
There are many places where contests and the corporate world fit the bill.
There are very few left that are left for recreational surfers.

pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters Sunday, 13 Oct 2013 at 4:13pm

Put being devastatd behind you Jiffy, just cop it on the chins.
Plenty of other worthy causes out there looking for some fool to run with them ,let me help you out.
1 Gina Reinhart lowering the minimum wage for mine workers in our state, seems reasonable as she's a billionaire.
2 Peace broker in the middle east, they will listen to you, any arguement will do here.
3 Spokeperson for Jenny Craig, might help to get even bigger then approach them.
4 Labor leader, the last couple have been ordinary so get in before this one gets snapped up.

Hope this helps, try not to do anything that is not self serving.
Lots and lots of peace

notyournackie's picture
notyournackie's picture
notyournackie Sunday, 13 Oct 2013 at 4:59pm

Hyde: Hey Jeffie who were the the next guys to surf here after we started it all?
Jeffie: What you mean Hyde? We were all fishermen and farmers over here.
Hyde: So your telling me surfing didn't start with us?
Jeffie: No Hyde it was introduced to this coast by those Fuckn blow in cunts!
Hyde: Your really fucked up Jeffie.
Jeffie: But the council really like me now and I haven't bashed a chick for a while!
Hyde: How long you reckon we can keep up this nice guy act Jeffie?
Jeffie: Until the phone rings Hyde. Also thinking of teaming up with Wayne again. Everyone knows I am a softcock now and just used my blubber to intimidate people but Wayne is a legit nutter.
Hyde: At least then people will fear us yeah let's get him onboard!
Jeffie: We will rise from the ashes Hyde!