Big Wave World Tour

middy's picture
middy started the topic in Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 5:54pm

Streaky Bay District Council Minutes August 2013 Indicates Jeff Schmucker has spoken to council about a proposed ASP Big Wave Comp. Here's the link:
https://www.streakybay.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Minutes%202013-...
At this stage it is just a proposal. It would be an annual event and part of an ASP sanctioned Big Wave Tour. There will be a stakeholder meeting to be held later in the month.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 7:03pm

fantastic, I hope it happens.

EDIT --- after reading 7 pages of why it shouldn't, I now think maybe it should not go ahead,a lot of naivety on my part not realizing what a very enviro sensitive coastline it is, that needs full protection....forever.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 8:02am

Jeff's been talking about this for many years, so it's no surprise he's utilising the appropriate channels to get it to happen.

Logistically though, I reckon running an international calibre event at Streaky would be reasonably hard - all judging would need to be done via a boat, webcasting would be extremely difficult (first hand experience from the Intense Wave event in 2009) and South Oz doesn't really have a big wave 'season' like a lot of the Northern Hemisphere spots do - so it could be hard to identify a suitable waiting period window.

I wonder what the criteria is for new event locations?

middy's picture
middy's picture
middy Sunday, 8 Sep 2013 at 8:06pm

An ASP surfing competition represents a seismic shift to the surfing culture of South Australia's Eyre Peninsula and needs careful consideration. In the past the stereotyping of West Coast Surfers as"paranoid locals" has suited the media and vested interests.
All communities evolve over time and Eyre Peninsulas coastal communities have benefitted socially and economically from surfing; as the major resource user in this case they have a right to be heard.
With closer scrutiny nearly all surfers visiting over decades have had the time and waves of their lives. The West Coast brand has really been great uncrowded waves in a raw desert environment.
The Intense Noodles Competition consultation process excluded surfers while engaging with the rest of the community. Surfers had genuine concerns about events preceding the competition over a number of years which I will not rake over in this forum.
Surfing SA as the governing body ignored these concerns, caught up in the rush of the idea of a tow in competition. It left a bitter taste in the mouths of many people in the surfing community.Time has moved on and again there is both interest and concern about what this competition means if it were to proceed.
There is a range of views in the surfing community about the concept of a world big wave competition and unless there is genuine dialogue this time between the ASP and the surfing community social division around the proposal will only be magnified.
It is important that the consultation process is not rushed. Paying lip service to the surfing community concerns is not in the ASP's best interest. It is also important that the local surfing community show respect and listen to what is being put forward.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 11:20am

Yeah in 2011 we saw the blinkers on from Surfing SA, with the KI Surf Music Festival. All approaches to them were met with a stonewall. Many people and organisations put forward concerns regarding risk to the local environment, unsuitability and lack of due diligence. I like to think that as a direct result of not heeding local surfers and environmentalists warnings, the CEO and event manager were thrown out of the organisation, leaving it bankrupt from all accounts. Quite simply, and I think obviously, surfing competitions usually cost big money, they don't generate it. Once you start putting very costly environmental mitigation's in place the trade off between brand promotion, fringe spending and generated revenue don't balance out.

Labour put almost three quarters of a million dollars of taxpayer funds into a surfing event that left the "peak surfing body for surfing in SA" crippled. I'm not sure we're gonna see another investment like that anytime soon, especially when you've got nerds like me working behind the scenes to give access to this knowledge to people in power.

Obviously every plan has to be assessed and judged on its own merits, I just hope Surfing SA, the SA Tourism Commission and State Government have learnt a lesson from KI. Word is SBC will back the plan but I guess we'll have to wait for the September minutes.

Maybe Jeff could outline his idea here for the surfing community?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 12:12pm

G'Day Zeph, I spoke to Jeff last night. I'd be glad to see him commenting on Swellnet though I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 2:12pm

If its an ASP event how is Josiah going to surf in it? Can he enter as a wildcard, anyone know?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 2:15pm

the ABC reported on this BWWT at streaky bay back in june 2009,a month or two before the noodles comp so has been on the cards for a while now.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 9 Sep 2013 at 2:50pm

just re read billabong pico alto story from 12mths ago....fuck did that get full on ...over 400 comments until ben closed her down, jeff had plenty to say 12 mths ago.

careforthecoast's picture
careforthecoast's picture
careforthecoast Tuesday, 10 Sep 2013 at 4:11pm

It looks like there is one character who wants to gain financially and along with the ASP in tow and sell the soul of a pristine coast because between themselves they and very few others stand to profit. Meanwhile the enviroment suffers and the surfing community of the west coast will have to clean up the mess of the aftermath of an event of that magnitude.
The local community will not benefit as has been mentioned in a prior post.
The changes that will occur in the months / years to follow will be evident once it is to late to turn back the clock.
It will be interesting to see if the ASP can keep any promises they may make if this goes ahead, as the little Mexican town found out and don't ever want a contest there again.
As pointed out in a post earlier by middy it will be interesting to hear how the ASP will liase with stakeholders and whether ASP will just go in and push an event if the majority of the surfing community and other stakeholders don't want that.
Its seems there is a lot at stake and the West Coast stands to lose everything that beautiful place is about. It has been enjoyed by so many surfers from so many places in its current noncommercial state free from contests.
It would be a sad loss for that beautiful corner of Australia.

westcoastsurfer's picture
westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 10 Sep 2013 at 9:46pm

I do not want this contest to
Happen on this coast. I encourage all west coasters who feel the same to get on this site and voice their opinions.
I can assure you that if we let this happen we will long regret it so stand up and get involved in this debate

westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 10 Sep 2013 at 9:49pm

I need to correct myself. I encourage all west coast surfers and VISITING surfers who wish this region to stay the same to get on board

westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 10 Sep 2013 at 10:51pm

I would also urge the organisers of the event to question whether the information they are receiving about the wave, the logistics and the public opinion is coming from someone independent or a person who has a monetary gain to be made? The wave itself is rarely over 20 foot and the organiser needs work for his boat and son etc.

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 12:56pm

does anyone on the west coast really think there is a need for a big wave comp here,isnt there already enough wankers being attracted to our part of the coast

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 1:22pm

It's an issue for local government. Nothing more, nothing less. Construct an argument why it's not a good idea and present it to them. Councillors dont surf so you've got to explain things down to a understandable level.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 4:40pm

If the planning for this goes ahead and turns into a sour and very public fight (which is looking likely), would that impact on the ISA's continuing bid to the IOC? Like the riot at the Vans contest, stories of antagonizing surfing events can't be good. I'm wondering if it would be a good way to start the ASP/BWWT/ZoSea amalgamation...

The way crew up and down the coast are talking, it'll turn into a hell shit fight. I received an e-mail earlier, there's a recently made petition against any ASP competition that can be found here-

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/109/054/742/no-big-wave-surf-contest-for-...

@ derra83 - It is and it isn't. There are wider implications than just council approval. I think we'll find that there are a great many stakeholders that will weigh in once planning has been confirmed. At this stage I'm not sure whether this is just a pipe dream of one or if there actually has been contact made from ASP or BWWT people.

@ swellnet or ASP/BWWT spokesperson, is there concrete confirmation that the ASP/BWWT are considering this?

westcoastsurfer Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 5:08pm

Definately is zeph. The bwwt guys are coming over on the 20 th of this month for a meeting with council and stakeholders. It's game on for sure.

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 5:26pm

That link is working for me Zeph. Is it possible to re-post it?

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 5:27pm

Sorry, meant ISNT working for me.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 5:47pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 6:42pm

I must say I didn't realize how environmentally delicate the coastline is on s.a. west coast.......did lots of reading of the 'friends of scealebay' stuff online, had always thought of it as really just dry desert but theres lots more to that beautiful stretch of earth.

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 6:52pm

This spot is not going to get crowded. If it was at any of the 'known' average surfer locations I could understand..but this wave is a bombie..most guys can't paddle it or surf it without a ski..and most of the ski guy's aren't even within 100k's of the place..So who-ever started this petition is just a jerk. I bet he was the first to get a photo/handshake with Kelly when he was over..Wouldna said shit to him either is my bet!
So all the paranoid dickheads start a petition trying to claim 'their' territory. Cats out the bag if you ask me.. Walsh comes over, Mark Mathews, Brett Bircher, Joel, Mick, Kelly...Wait 'til the next SMF movie comes out WORLDWIDE..
IMO the gov. isn't going to back it after losing money in KI. and how big does it have to be to get contestable? Doesn't break more than 2 days very often..How many days do you need to run a comp..I would love to see it happen though, so shove ya petition !

westcoastsurfer Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 7:10pm

Your sounding like a spoilt little brat that just had his lollie taken away from him jeff

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm

Nice try westcoastsurfer..I am not smux..and you haven't taken anything away from me.You must be one of those 5-6-7yr 'local'. Thinking you own the area and everybreak in it. I've read the petition and some of those names are hilarious..rusty long!..why don't you put Kevin Rudd or Kelly Slater?
What right does anyone have to stop others using the same publicly owned area? Localism always exists from those that have the most to 'lose'..i.e you won't get 'your' wave quota.
I can't see the problem if all the boxes are ticked and everything is covered.

westcoastsurfer Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 9:01pm

C'mon Jeffrey. People have as much right to oppose something as you do to propose it. Surely your not getting you pretty pink little knickers in a knot over a petition. If everyone on the coast wants this comp like I am sure you are telling the organisers they do there should not be a problem for you. But when they realise its just a grab for fame and money by a stupid little wombat you are gonna look like ahh well I guess a stupid little wombat!

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Wednesday, 11 Sep 2013 at 9:40pm

Can you imagine the amount of publicity a contest such as this would bring about for our unspoilt piece of the coast.Life as we all know it would be over,beaches would be ruined and breaks overcrowded as people from all over the world come to see what they have seen on television...I want my children and their children to enjoy the same coast that I have enjoyed all my life ,not some overcrowded,shit covered ,trampled by the masses coast that people fucked because they couldn't see past their own noses let alone our future generations!!!

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 7:41am

Anyone who cares for this coast should sign that petition. Whether you take your family holidays at cactus or your an all night driving swell chaser. If you still want to be able to come over and have some fun hassle free waves then get on there and sign up

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 9:55am

wcs ,

Many have voiced their opinion in the earlier forum threads that udo mentioned .
Unfortunately the more it comes up , the worse off it becomes as it only brings attention to it . Which in this case is creating publicity for free to the proponents of it ....

But power to you . Maybe search and find the best quotes arguements that support your case from people in those threads . But i suggest you don't open the threads themselves again .....

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 10:27am

WCS, Anyone who disagrees with any type of situation happening in their home town when the majority of the local community are against it should sign that petition.
People who disregard the local culture / viewpoints of entire communities are the small minded ones.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 10:30am

Southy, not a lover of these threads myself, but! Only a few thousand people are taking notice of this and it might be enough to nip it in the bud, wheris if it were to go ahead it would be noticed by millions round the world.

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 11:31am

Totally agree lads. A bit of exposure of our cause now is important to get names on that petition. The organisers have indicated that they will take major recognition of what the local stakeholders stance is. Like I said before it also affects those who enjoy visiting here too. So lets band together and stop this thing

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 11:33am

There was a world class film-maker ..actually a couple of world-class filmmakers over this way earlier this year with the best surfer ever..getting footage to be shown in the ASMF that tours both Australia and the world..Do you really think this spot is hidden? most of the people kicking up a stink have and never will surf it! but this is a free contry and more than entitled to do whatever you think is reasonable(within law)..its just progress boys..gunna happen sooner or later..ask the groms if they were frothin to see the king and joel and mick? they're the future.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 11:49am

Wogland, just cause you think it's a good idea doesn't necessarily make it progress.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:01pm

wcgland "gonna happen sooner or later". That is some brain dead reasoning. Sooner will be way sooner when areas get that sort of exposure. Why speed the process up especially when the majority of the local community don't want it?

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:07pm

This is not about who and who doesn't surf the bombie,its about the global exposure to the rest of the coast and the damage it will cause to the beaches and coastline ,surely anyone with 1/2 a brain can see that!!!

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:17pm

With 200+ signatures in the first two days it would be prudent of organisers to take notice of the strength of conviction in the people that love this coast. Granted, no-one has solid information on the details yet. In my experience the details will be shared with those that stand to gain from the event only, whilst those trying to engage diplomatically against the event will be kept in the dark and labeled as protesters.

I do hope professionalism is shown by the BWWT crew and details are laid out on the table for all to see and for all to comment on. The KI event used the excuse of marketing to justify not releasing detailed plans and costings to the public, will the same occur here?

I'm a little disheartened that no-one from the BWWT, ASP or Jeff Shmucker inc. has extended an invitation regarding consultation on the 20th. I've sent two e-mails to the BWWT and one to the ASP late last week and heard nothing, same as Surfing SA during the KI event planning stage.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/109/054/742/no-big-wave-surf-contest-for-...

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:29pm

I have been told that the committee of the mid west board riders have been invited to the meeting on the 20 th to hear their proposals. This info is straight from one of the members so they will be part of the consultation process. Lets hope their views are seriously considered

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:32pm

Also Jeff gland it appears that some of your sons mates and so called grommets of the coast have signed the petition already seeing as you are so interested in the names on there thought you would have already realised that. Or are you systematically ringing everyone on that list and trying to bully them into retracting their support.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:54pm

did the global exposure really start when aaron chang, luke egan and friends had yanerbie and most west coast waves pictured in a surf mag......20+yrs ago, sir Jeffrey and sir Appleby featured lots by memory ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 1:58pm

@Zeph and Westcoastsurfer,

I spoke to someone at the BWWT this morning and they are coming to meet the stakeholders. Not sure of the date though I assume it's the 20th - the same meeting mentioned above. In the course of conversation it became clear that he's aware of the hurdles - social, environmental and logistical - involved in getting this comp off the ground. He gave no hint of combativeness, but rather a willingness to listen to reasoned argument.

luv-the-mid's picture
luv-the-mid's picture
luv-the-mid Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 2:02pm

It would be fun to watch people paddling in to huge waves very cool to watch
it may bring a few $ in to the town what the hell give it a go
the west coast is shark city if you've got the balls get out there :-)

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 2:58pm

I think all the paranoia being drummed up should all just settle down and wait and see what the guys have to say. If you look at the KI event that was a 4day party with bands etc right next to vivionne.. from my undertanding the BWWT is a lot more suspect to conditions and would only be more of a select crew not your usual 180 competitiors.Funny how there are quite a lot of anonymous people on the petition!

bud's picture
bud's picture
bud Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 3:15pm

After seeing what has happened over the last few years with the surf films that have been made, and photography taken at one of my home breaks, I find it hard to see the good side of a commercial competition.
We love this coast because it is special for being beautiful,isolated and uncrowded.

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 5:30pm

@ wcjeffland. Maybe the anonymous names on the petition are the women and children in your local area scared of your retribution. You seem to be overly interested in going through the petition names in detail Jeff?

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 5:34pm

There is also a link to the petition on the LINCOLN SURF Facebook page so even the biggest local surf business is supporting the petition against the BWWT comp. That says a lot about the community feeling I think

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 6:50pm

I've had three phone conversations with Jeff as well as a couple of texts. I let it be known that I didn't want a comp here but if one were to go ahead I'd much rather work with the proponents than be excluded as a protester like the KI event. I posted a comment here after our first conversation saying that the gist of the event was the same as the intense wave competition but with ASP surfers. About 5 minutes after that post I received an angry phone call from Jeff saying that I didn't know any of the facts and that if I was gonna go behind his back and post untruth he would no longer talk to me. I took down the post down as a sign of respect and as he was right, they're gonna paddle not tow.

Today I received a phone call from Jeff explaining why I wouldn't be allowed to attend any stakeholder meetings (because I don't represent an organisation), relating to an earlier post here about e-mails to the BWWT. He identified that he was in charge of who attended the meeting, the minutes of which he would provide me. We talked for almost 45 minutes and reached an understanding. I highlighted (three times) that if I were given all the facts and was alleviated of concern for environment that I would get involved in making the event a success but until then my experience from KI is that the whole show is insidious, with hidden agenda's of those who are set to gain financially, and I am against any competition.

Not five minutes after agreeing to share minutes of the meeting as soon as available, Jeff sent me a screenshot of my signature on the petition as well as this:

"We record ur stance - big call 2 make my friend as u dnt knw any facts - u dnt need any more info by the looks. U have voted"

I don't know Jeff personally but what the fuck is this bullshit! So anyone who is opposed to the idea of the competition isn't entitled to know anything about it? I wonder about these BWWT crew and their choice of liaison/self-proclaimed-contest-director. This is pretty much exactly what happened on KI, anyone with any negative opinion of the event was excluded. I hope there's someone from the BWWT watching this thread and they realize that there is, in fact, a majority of the local surfing population very wary of any commercialized surfing on the Eyre. As well as this you're proposal MUST BE TRANSPARENT to prevent a tainted build up, like KI. You must be able to accept criticism and suggestions from those that don't want the ASP creating a circus at an isolated and fragile destination.

There was a committed group on KI and on the mainland that put so much pressure on the KI event the proponents were forced to implement the environmental mitigation measures we were hoping to enforce. The cost of doing this bankrupted Surfing SA and cost KI (as well as SA) an annual WQS event. Anyway, i've composed this out of spite and probably shouldn't post it but fucken hell, I can't believe the threat and I am now way more pessimistic of the idea than previously.

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 7:15pm

You are not the only one being targeted by Jeff personally for signing. I have been approached by others. You are a weak piece of shit smux to personally attack people for signing a petition you will be stopped

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 7:25pm

can jeff really dictate who can attend this BWWT meeting.....zeph aren't you a enviromental advisor for the friends of sceale bay ?

tripod's picture
tripod's picture
tripod Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 8:08pm

Ah the sea, she gives and then she takes-much like social media really...works both ways jiffy!

westcoastsurfer Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 8:09pm

To all those who wish not to be bullied by this idiot when you sign the petition there is an option to make your details anonymous. I would recommend this especially if you are a woman, child or elderly!

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Thursday, 12 Sep 2013 at 9:28pm

@ zeph..so you decided to sign the petition..then if the environmental requirements are met then you are cool and would like to see it run?
Where do people get the idea that if comp is held in one location..and this is one location...that the entire westcoast is overrun..every single day of the year? Its the delusional few that ruin a really sick idea..there is thousands of k's of coastline over here..Massive jealousy all around my area at the moment..These crew probably would've stayed for a few days/weeks brought money into the area..stayed in the area..made friends as most of them are top guys who understand all this shit..but they may as well fly-in fly-out!!