Big Wave World Tour

middy's picture
middy started the topic in Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 5:54pm

Streaky Bay District Council Minutes August 2013 Indicates Jeff Schmucker has spoken to council about a proposed ASP Big Wave Comp. Here's the link:
https://www.streakybay.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Minutes%202013-...
At this stage it is just a proposal. It would be an annual event and part of an ASP sanctioned Big Wave Tour. There will be a stakeholder meeting to be held later in the month.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 Sep 2013 at 9:45am

Zeph,

I removed Gary's personal email from the post.

-Stu

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Monday, 23 Sep 2013 at 3:29pm

Who gives a fuck who rides what surfboard or who does this or who doesn't, yabbity Yabba Yabba....bottom line is no-one wants a bigwave comp on this coast for the simple fact that it will attract global exposure to the coast and with it follows tourists from everywhere with no respect and no brains who over the next ten ,twenty,thirty or fifty years will fuck the place that we all love,respect and care for..fuck the comps and the people that want to run them..certain people need to think this thru very carefully as the ramifications of this will be HUGE AND HEAVY

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 23 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm

to those that attended the council meeting how many people [surfers] were FOR the comp? approx.

careforthecoast's picture
careforthecoast Monday, 23 Sep 2013 at 6:53pm

The grass roots of surfing on the WC is recreational. There are not many places that are free from brand names and the hype. There is soul in just riding a wave and enjoying the free ride. The materiel greed for gain is wat will ruin the soul of the west coast. And yes paddeling is for hippies at least they have respect for creation.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Tuesday, 24 Sep 2013 at 9:58am

Some great points raised sypkan. There seems to be only to be a few people who want this comp so regardless of their agenda the majority of the community should be able to have their voice heard and considered.

Not humoured, with the ASP only going through the motions as a political exercise such as the case with Rip Curl and a certain comp in Victoria in the 90s where the locals were told it wouldn't happen only to wake up and find it happening 12 hours after that meeting.

Jeff Smucker...

On one hand you lay claim down to being a 'real local ' and want an order of respect but in the next breath you have informed people via these forums that you will do what you want when you go somewhere else. Basically you are full of shit.

I was surfing a spot over that area late 90's, about 15 people out,fun waves. The crew out were working in an orderly manner and the vibe was nice,the mixture was some locals and travellers. Everyone was getting waves. Out paddles this guy starts hassling,dropping in verbally abusing people to the point he became involved in a fight on the rocks with another guy. 1 guy turned that fun session into a circus, 3 guesses who it was. Im sure the locals have more of those stories.

P.S. for the masses,he aint the tough guy he portrays so don't buy his bluff.

Good luck SA boys,hope Gary considers your position.

hairmick's picture
hairmick's picture
hairmick Wednesday, 25 Sep 2013 at 10:59pm

Has anyone got a good argument why u would want to invite the asp circus into your back yard to screwed the place up

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 27 Sep 2013 at 8:35am

BWWT meeting tonight 5.30 pm @ streaky bay hotel with gary linden .....still on ?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 27 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm

I can't help myself, this is the last comment...

if you guys allow the Comp to be held,you have opened the commercial door to your coast....anybody and everybody will be able to come and film etc on every swell...just like Shipsterns....

if you don't stop the BWWT,everyone has then the right to come and commercially exploit your area...eg da shmucker has never been able to answer...would he welcome multiple Brazilian film and surf crews....with Skis etc??

Or what happens when 10 film crews arrive??

this time over and out....

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Friday, 27 Sep 2013 at 2:23pm

absolutely correct there brutus..schmuckwit will have a lot to answer for and may have to leave the place that he doesn't deserve to call home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 27 Sep 2013 at 3:03pm

oh jeffie you may have to move

hey wayne........ Tahiti looks nice.

yeh... sapinus ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Sep 2013 at 7:22am

so the meeting was held, will streaky bay host a BWWT contest ?

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm

So whats goin on, is this it, all the protests all the comments against it, now you guys have the meeting, the council has had their meeting, and no replies.Is there no one who wants to comment on the out come of these meetings. Has it all gotten to hard and you guys have given up, have you all been subdued by the BWWT.

Now Brutus, why do you feel the need to say your not commenting/ getting involved with this or any other threads, we know your watching, did you have a few too many beers and crack it because you feel people where not listening too you, same goes to you Zeph,

I Feel this is a very serious situation to all surfers and our democratic way of life. There has been such a big deal made about this in the public eye, ie, swellnet and other media avenues, that it needs to be followed through to the end.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 12:44pm

all we get in response is bombarded by emails from the petition site.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 1:33pm

c'mon udo, was sort of a reply was that, empty no meaning to it, if you know something why wont you share it, or your not allowed to, facts boys lets here the facts from both sides

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 4:17pm

Sup gromfull,

Speaking from experience, campaigning against development is a very stressful and alienating position. Yes, personally I've given up and yes, that's a pretty hefty realisation for me.

That's why I started the sustainability thread, 'cause the Earth is staring down the proverbial. The more I learn of environmental science, history, politics and resource management the more I give in to hopelessness. Our globe's societies are mostly so absorbed in our own species we are blind in our quest for meaningful existence. Surfing has been my lifeline for ages, always bringing me back to the times of utter joy in the moment of being.

I collapsed under the weight of seeing the Vivonne Bay compeition go ahead and I saw the community there suffer from months of unknowing. Lucky this BWWT was picked up as early as it was, 'cause I tell ya, once the greater public and 'majority of the states surfers' (South and Mid coast crew) start lobbying for it, the local communities get overrun. What will be will be but like so many on KI chose to do during the KI debacle, I choose not to be affected by it. The stress the crew who are battling this will be fuckin full on. That's why you're not hearing much, everyone's exhausted, frustrated, unfocused and just want it all to go away.

Anyways, all the ASP have said is that the local surfing community will have the final decision. Depends if that's bullshit or not whether we will hear anything more about this shit-cunt idea.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 7:13pm

"swellnet team are very quite........maybe their hiding something"

Whaddya talkin' about? We're a media company, when we know something we scream it from the hills!

I spoke to Jeff, but that was before the meeting. Haven't had any dialogue with him, or anyone down that way, since then.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 7:18pm

onya stuey , get on the blower, jeffie wont post but he will talk to you.........wont he ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 30 Sep 2013 at 7:31pm

Stay tooned, Udo...

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Tuesday, 1 Oct 2013 at 7:41am

I knew you couldn't keep away zeph, as always a very in-depth and thought full response, you touched on very big can of worms there regarding our attitude towards environments and totally agree, but silence will not get what you and slot of other folk want, don't be put off keep it all going, you are a very good spokes person for this cause, keep it up,

Udo no offence to you, lets just keep it alive to hear all the evidence, it is bizzare that none of the people for this have anything to say

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 1 Oct 2013 at 8:51am

Hi Gromfull.....a bit like Zeph......I have just been and am fighting for saveBells Beach...and there is always a personal cost,of stress from constant abuse from authorities,abuse from other users,people who bring up past stories that are so far off the mark,but is just negative BS.....so ya just get tired od people trying to challenge your credibility,by using 1/2 truths,rumour and innuendo to make their point by character assassination.......how much sticks......not sure........but people who hide behind their alias's here ......my name brutus came about by tracking and debating blasphemy rotmouth,so he wouldn't know who I was ,so I had a bit of fun with him and embarrassed him,because I am a lot deeper into the Surf Industry,and have been now for 40+ years,so I have first hand knowledge and experience of most subjects relative to surfing!

this one is a relatively easy one ,as this BWWT has been invited by a minority group ,who wants commercial exposure and gain,at the expense of a local surf culture!

A precedent was set when the noodles comp was on and this minority group now want to formalize the West coast as an event location and create a commercial precedent for the area in having more comps and also the precedent will allow film crews everytime there is swell.....which I think is the most dangerous...ask any of the Tassie boys what happens now everytime Shipsterns breaks...

By the sounds of the meetings,if the ASP/BWWT sense hostility towards the idea of a comp....they won't risk it because of the potential for bad publicity...

as for Jeff.....if Josiah couldn't get a wild card for the event,would he even bother??

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 1 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm

Has anyone asked Joshua what he reckons of the whole thing, I heard he was starting to get a bit embarrassed by dad.
Any one had the salted caramel, chocolate mouse. Looks good.

streakybaysurfer's picture
streakybaysurfer's picture
streakybaysurfer Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 10:40am

Open letter to Gary linden

You came to our town to inform us about your big wave contest. During the meeting you said. “hey i’m not trying to sell anything it’s up to you guys if you want this”
If this is the full scope of your community consultation it is sadly deficient. The truth is that the concept had already been sold to the council, only the price to be negotiated. SOLD BOUGHT AND WE PAY.
The records will show that local surfers were consulted through the process and in general concerns were laid to rest. TICK THAT BOX GARY .

Are you naive or have you been duped by one local surfer, I don’t think so. You should be aware that there is a groundswell of opinion amongst the majority of local surfers which remains antagonistic to your concept.
It was a smart move not to speak to us first because you knew the answer you would get. Yes the majority of none surfers will be pro contest for one reason $ DOLLARS $ . Gary once a surfer, sold out.
Californian legend? Australia’s MOST WANTED on this coast.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 2:15pm

@Streaky Bay Surfer,

I've deleted the last part of your post, not just because of the nasty, personal crap but also because you spelt arse 'ass'. That's not on mate.

As for Gary, whatever may come of this contest I think most people give credit to someone who flies into assumed enemy territory and deals with them face-to-face.

I know I do.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 4:59pm

Credit for lip service and ticking the "consulted with them" box. Nup no credit for that stu
Hear the majority of locals who live there then the accolades can flow.

shortenm's picture
shortenm's picture
shortenm Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 8:30pm

Stunet what do you mean 'deals with them'? I wasn't first hand at the meeting, but suggest you are way out of hand even phrasing 'deals with them'. What the?? The consultation/investigation period on this should occur over weeks, months even not one meeting... And further it should be conducted by an independent body providing unbiased representative data on the views, opinions real and potential risks and opportunities associated with the BWWT in such a location.

Suggest you keep to your day job = swell forecasts, wave cams and promoting HJ's to your subscribers. Throw away comments like that sounds like ass kissing to me.

With all this stress i'm off to get an aussie burger meal deal upsize...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 9:00pm

mean while the yorkes surf comp goes ahead this weekend in a national park , 30yrs of competition with nil environment issues.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 9:26pm

hey udo ,

Couldn't help but notice Corona's onboard . speaking from experience , nothings better than a beer sponsorship at a local boardriders level .

But seriously where will it end , any chance a small private webcast ....( sarc ) .. could be pretty good there in the next few days . Would love to see the best locals on it in Really good conditiions . ( Personally never surfed it , due to times of the year i've visited , or passed through )

westcoastsurfer's picture
westcoastsurfer's picture
westcoastsurfer Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 10:36pm

We were given a weeks notice before Gary arrived and the council meeting occurred so other than knowing that the dancing queen was pushing for something like this to line his own pockets we were surprised by how little time we had. It basically comes down to whether Gary Linden is a man of his word or not. Simple. He is on record saying that if the surfers don't want it it won't happen. If the council try and run over us their comp will not go smoothly that I can garuantee. I met Gary and believe he is an honourable man who knows this is not the right thing for our coast. We live in such small communities over here that we do not need to have a wedge driven between us and the rest of the community who may think there is a few dollars for them in it. It's a fly in fly out style comp so fuck all from the event. The rest of the issues will be hashed out at meetings with our groups and council over the next few weeks. Make no mistake we don't want it and will not lay down.
Good time for west coasters to join their local board riders and get their voice heard.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 2 Oct 2013 at 10:36pm

Hey udo the Yorkes comp has been around for ages and is accepted but every year we see the damage to the area after they go home. Bushes trampled on, rubbish in carparks and campsites etc. Much of the development around the surf breaks such as boardwalks, stairs down the cliffs and viewing platforms was done partially to protect the coastline and vegetation from the damage of running this event. In that way some benefits have come from holding the competition I guess.

Last time the comp ran down at Westcape they actually asked if the National Parks could grade a vehicle track through the back of the sand dunes because they didn't want to carry the equipment down the beach. It was a running joke for a while that the organisers even thought that was gonna happen.

Now there is talk of a Yorkes Pro WQS competition down here and I can tell you that none of the local surfers want it. South Australia's fragile coastal scrub just can't cope with being trashed by the masses. The plants that grow on the clifftops take decades to recover in the harsh environment we have down here.
Not to mention the increase in exposure that inevitably leads to more crowding. Dunno why any of the regular surfers who visit our coast would want to see the place on the pro surfing radar either?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 8:35am

Settle down Shorty Starwoman. I understand you have clairvoyance on your side - and a hefty temper to boot - but try and stay on point, eh?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 8:56am

Tobin Woolford of the Mid-West Coast Surfriders Association has expressed his views. From today's Australian:

"There could be benefits," said Tobin Woolford, spokesman for the Mid-West Coast Surfriders Association. "There would be some benefits to tourism, and maybe benefits to infrastructure."

Opposing it, however, would be contradictory for most locals, Woolford said.

"Most of our members didn't even grow up here. They've come over here, enjoyed it and now live here. For them to say they don't want anyone else here, they'd have to be hypocrites. We'd like to see more surfers here. It's more the right type of people we want."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/can-we-talk-big-wave-world-tour-ne...

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 9:15am

What. The. Fuck???

shortenm's picture
shortenm's picture
shortenm Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 10:14am

Rightio Stunet temper, clairvoyance you really know me. Have we ever met? Whats do you mean starwoman?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 10:43am

Sounds like the locals are getting starstruck. Don't fall for their shit.

Don't forget the goal, their goal to exploit it for all its worth, like Brutus says the contest is just the start.

It would be hypocritical if they were stopping people from going there, which they are not. Its not hypocritical to oppose a circus coming to an inappropriate setting.

Surely if Mexico can keep the circus at bay west coast sa can.

I don't think it is Shortnm overreacting

shortenm's picture
shortenm's picture
shortenm Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 10:44am

Actually dont even worry about responding to my last post stunet. I don't actually care... I can switch the internet/computer off and all this noise goes away and the real world begins. If we ever cross paths there then let it be. Peace

scum-dog's picture
scum-dog's picture
scum-dog Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 10:53am

A few facts that are Pretty clear from these posts:
1) Most SA surfers DON'T WANT the competition and associated exploitation of our surf/culture.
2) Stunet is clearly pro the comp. Clearly, he sees some benefits for him/SWELLNET down the track, and are so far removed from the local culture it doesn't matter to them anyway.
3) Stunets comments are pro Linden and smell suspiciously like he does love licking ARSE!
3) Stunet is passing opinions about people he doesn't he know or has met (e.g. shortenm). This equals extremely bad form, 'Karma can be a bitch...'

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 11:04am

I've actually meet you ShortenM. Top of the cliff at Blacks, 2005. Happy to let it be.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 11:08am

@Scum Dog,

Professionally, I'm neutral on it. But personally I'm against it, and have stated my opinion to others on here privately. Anyway, it ain't mine to decide so not sure why you're bringing me into it.

There you go...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 12:17pm

a google of- bwwt jeff schmucker- brings up a cw article of jeffie and son on a newly found s.a. left bombie and a hint it may be a comp spot ?

so has jeffie dropped sn in favour of cw ?

sandspit's picture
sandspit's picture
sandspit Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 2:38pm

so if the local boardriders club is happy with things, whats the big problem?

greenthumb's picture
greenthumb's picture
greenthumb Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 5:24pm

the article is written by Fred Pawle, seems like he's just been feed lie's by a certain person, i just spoke to him on FB and he said hes more than happy to have people go on record that are against it. journalism is a powerful tool and fred pawle needs to know the truth about whats really going on down here.

FB- Fred Pawle

[email protected]

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 5:40pm

Chill and let the vote decide.

careforthecoast Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 7:09pm

Spot on Zeph . The board riding clubs will make their official statement in due time. Until then there really is not much point speculating. Gary has said he doesnt want to push for a contest if the majority of west coast board riders do not want it. Gary came down and meet with many of us and has gained respect in the surfing community but that doesnt mean that the surfers want a comp now or any time.

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 8:06pm

come on fellas, keep focused. This comp is a bad idea, west cost boys get your voice heard or live to regret it, Sa boys as a whole stand up make noise here on sw and anywhere else you can

roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet's picture
roger-ramjet Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 10:16pm

Tobin Woolford was completely misquoted and major pieces left out and adjusted by that fucker in the australian today. As an association we are fed up with this sort of shit. Our official position will be made clear in the next few days. We had bugger all notice of this event and with school holidays on calling a quick meeting with such a spread of members is impossible. As of tonight I have personally received 25% of our members votes and they stand at 100% against the comp. I will contact the others over the coming days. Gary linden is on record saying the comp won't run without the surfers blessing so lets hope we can put this to bed soon. As an association we are more than prepared to work with the streaky bay tourism people and council etc to propose our ideas of a sustainable brand of long term surf based tourism which we strongly believe will be more family related and beneficial to the community. We would like to be a useful resource for the council for future long term goal setting for tourism and welcome it to our coastline. We believe this is a responsible approach. Maybe the bloke who wrote that crap in the paper today got towed into a two footer at kiddies corner last time he was in streaky and had a favour to repay because that was blatant shit!
I am a committee member of the board riders so this is not a bullshit piece
At least we can't get misquoted on here
To the west coast crew keep the faith once the votes are finished your reps will be claws up in a box before we let this shit happen!

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 10:08am

Really Fred??

I would say journos are renowned for not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

The amount of misquotes surf journos have been involved in over the years has led people to stay well away from them.

I know of one community that wanted their story known for what it really is not the half truths and total lies that have been painted by those whose agenda it did not suit.

The result.... the surf magazine totally burnt them portraying things in a different light and did things that both parties had discussed as not to be done.

Playing with fire dealing with editors whose goal it is to sell the magazine or paper in my opinion.

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 2:11pm

can someone put it plain and simple.
maybe just the top 10 pro's and cons on here please.

I've been told i'm on "the petition",
don't know what side i signed onto,
but apparently my name is on it!

anyhow, PRO's and Con's please

justen allport

the majority got their way over 200 years ago.
we just blew in, and did it how we wanted,
democratically of course.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 2:47pm

Hi Jughead,

You can check to see if your name is on the petition, though that seems pretty weird!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/109/054/742/no-big-wave-surf-contest-for-...

Regarding your request, eh, make an effort and read through this forum, speak to different stakeholders and decide for yourself the pro's and con's...

People have taken the time to post here, why not lift a finger and use your eyes.

jughead's picture
jughead's picture
jughead Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 3:33pm

ZEPH,
"people have taken time to post here"

sorry mate, there's alot of opinions on here,
and there's lots of name calling and bullshit on here too.
Not to say i've never been quilty of that,
however, this seems pretty serious to alot of people(Even if they have hidden behind false names).
But alot of people are totally off the subject too.
i just thought maybe TEN points for and against could simplify it,
without all the "he tows in, he's in it for himself, he blew in with the rest of 'em, he's born and bred, he said this etc."

And for all those greenies out there worried about the enviromental impact,
there's a bunch of stuff in the Kimberly happening that could use your passion.
No surf contests up there, No surf companies, No great barrier reef,
(what a disgrace that white people came here, took the land and allow overseas companies to do as they like for money, just because they had the majority)
Just $billion companies and our own govt arressting indigenous land owners for stopping multi national companies raping our land and sending profits back overseas.
Those worried about the impact to the enviroment www.savethekimberley.com GET ON TO IT!
http://www.savethekimberley.com/

anyone with a summary of the last 26pgs,
i'd be happy to be lazy enough to read it.

redneck's picture
redneck's picture
redneck Friday, 4 Oct 2013 at 5:06pm

Summary as follows. The majority of the SA local crew do not want the comp except for J Smucker and maybe a couple more.
The pros are only for the pros and the ASP and the cons are for everyone else.