Big Wave World Tour

middy's picture
middy started the topic in Saturday, 7 Sep 2013 at 5:54pm

Streaky Bay District Council Minutes August 2013 Indicates Jeff Schmucker has spoken to council about a proposed ASP Big Wave Comp. Here's the link:
https://www.streakybay.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Minutes%202013-...
At this stage it is just a proposal. It would be an annual event and part of an ASP sanctioned Big Wave Tour. There will be a stakeholder meeting to be held later in the month.

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 9:10pm

I think the last comment sums it up ay jiffhiddy, might be time to seek some help...Monday morn @9.30 suit you

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 9:13pm

Guys ,

This thread is really startin' to get some legs .... Lets not see another "West Island Left " Marathon ....

Just Vote , and let Jeff do his own thing , one hand clapping doesn't make much Noise .

careforthecoast's picture
careforthecoast Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 10:30pm

Facts are facts majority verses a handful , it's a no brain er, why would anyone push for a contest with so many people opposed to it. If they pushed for it they would be going against what the primary resource users wanted.
A vast community being told what is good for them.
But it has happened before!!!
So the surfing community of the west coast are saying no now. No contest / No deal we have our own brand of tourism to sell. It is what it is, Pristine wilderness untouched by corporate enterprise.
The west coast has nothing to gain but everything to lose by allowing this to happen.
I'm sure there are a few watching this forum with a good story to tell of what they have seen happen over the years ! ! !

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:02am

Now how did I miss all this??

stuck here in Seppo Land craving an empty wave or 2......or over head high....ahhhhh

really interesting to read all the comments here,and I agree wholeheartedly with the general consensus that its inappropriate for a comp at Jeffs! (for those who don't know me that is a very cynical name for...???)

I was speaking to Kelly the other day about his trip to SA,and there is a lot more went on that trip with Jeff,and how hmmm...he worked Kelly over.....

I have a meeting with Kelly tomorrow with Kelly during the Lowers Pro,and will pass on the negativity about a comp in SA,so he can pass it onto Zosea/ASP....

If Jeffs son didn't get an invite..would he still be in favour of the comp??

me thinks not...

anyhow guys I will pass on the message that no one really wants a comp in SA except FIGJAM Jeff....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 7:09am

brutus, so jeffie shafted king Kelly in some way,
this next 24hrs will be very interesting.....5 days to go until the 'meeting'...BWWT reps I doubt that they will show up.
a whisper from the king about his environmental concerns......this comp wont happen.

careforthecoast Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 7:29am

Thanks Brutus and we would love to see Kelly back again sometime.
Hopefully everyone can show some respect next time and give him space to enjoy this stretch of coast and the waves ! ! !

laotsu's picture
laotsu's picture
laotsu Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 11:40am

Jeff even The King don't like you. Wow. Priceless. You ever tried towing yourself in? It's kinda like chess - it doesn't really work without a partner. You better get practicing though, coz you really haven't got ANY friends left now...but thats what happens when you go against the grain in every single little move you make. Best of luck from here on in.

Honestly Jeff, why? These guys will chew you up and spit you out faster than you can say "Wayne's World. Party time. Excellent. My only friend left"...and all you'll leave behind is a legacy of sour taste. "Jeff Schmucker. Yeah I remember him. He's the guy that tried to prostitute the coast for personal gain. I think I saw him trying to tow himself into a lil one at Back Beach the other day. There was a guy called Wayne on the beach taking photos for the magazines. I think he got a shot but it was all outta focus. They ran it on the second-last page of Women's Weekly. I think some people saw it. Jeff was stoked to finally be recognised. They paid him for it and all."

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 4:59pm

smucker think different, he tow into wave,film and expose wave via internet or magazines he dont care if crowds arrive and crowd the wave. Cos he doesn't paddle it don't worry him . Just tow in and get all the good waves anyways . Film and get wave go back to work ,don't surf for a month .put film on net and watch how u rule with fans worldwide. Notice how hardcore surfers don't respect that.

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:01pm

]smucker think different, he tow into wave,film and expose wave via internet or magazines he dont care if crowds arrive and crowd the wave. Cos he doesn't paddle it don't worry him . Just tow in and get all the good waves anyways . Film and get wave go back to work ,don't surf for a month .put film on net and watch how u rule with fans worldwide. Notice how real surfers don't respect that.

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:02pm

One thing I have learnt about blow-in 'locals' is how insecure they are about there 'area'...and by area they mean within 200k's of any beach that they frequent once every six months...Most of them are so shit at surfing that they feel threatened if anyone comes to surf their breaks they wont get any waves..All you guys winge about the environment but it is only when a comp is mentioned that you all care about your carparks/coastline..yet to go fishin or cruising your quite happy to drive every which way..WHAT AN ABSOLUTE HYPOCRATIC JOKE!

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:08pm

Go back to scaring everybody with heroic shark taming and be better for tourism !

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:19pm

Bring back the shark paranoia, cmon , look like even bigger hellmen then . How about a fishing contest too ! Right next to the big wave contest . Big fish world tour !

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:48pm

So is it even possible to paddle into this big wave? only seen tow surfers in the pictures n film. Are there any pictures of Josiah or some Hellman paddling into it?

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 6:34pm

Haha. Hyprocratic! Good one

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 8:09pm

So why a paddle in contest when this is a tow in wave?since when has paddling become the way to surf the bomby?

w-pointer's picture
w-pointer's picture
w-pointer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 8:21pm

Maybe Smuck plans to tow Josiah in during the paddle in contest so he can win ! That's what's behind this idea of his . He can have all the judges n media see and film. Oh the glory of getting all the biggest waves and the best photos. usually its all about tow surfing so why the sudden interest in paddle in ?

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 8:35pm

@ w-pointer - I think you may be missing the point/s completely.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/109/054/742/no-big-wave-surf-contest-for-...

laotsu's picture
laotsu's picture
laotsu Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm

"Hypocratic" Jeff?
Hypocratic means honest and ethical. We happy with that tag. Cheers.

You on the other hand...

careforthecoast Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 8:55pm

The meeting later in the month with ASP and the stakeholders;
ASP wil talk the smooth smooth forked tongues and listen with closed ears knowing full well they cannot deliver the goods,
Any objections / concerns stakeholders have, will be heard and an attempt will be made meet requirements.
It doesn't matter what concern the primary resource users do or don't have, facts are facts ! ! !
ASP have nothing to offer the surfing community of the west coast. No amount of money or promises can buy what the coast already has.
Its renowned round the world as the one of the very few places free from commercial invested interest and ASP contests.
Pristine wilderness fragile rugged and the destination for the spirited adventurer looking for unudolterated adventure.
The bottom line is surfers of the west coast don't want this BWWT or any other professional event to occur.
Lets keep it a destination that is what it is ! ! ! And remain the same, free for every one to enjoy ! ! !

westcoastsurfer's picture
westcoastsurfer Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 9:09pm

Hey Jeffie. After harassing a mate of mine all week via your tough texting where you organised to meet him in port Lincoln yesterday with, and I quote a " the gloves are off " approach. How did things turn out when you tried avoiding my small statured friend all day until he approached you after the netball match you were attending. Did you do as you said ( and we have the text messages you sent as proof ) and deliver tough justice for his signing of the petition or did you run away like the hero you are when he approached YOU?
Think we all know the answer to that one bully boy!

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 9:20pm

@careforthecoast..nice optimism you have there mate..pretty judgemental if you ask me..but that is the majority of so called locals ..who are blow-ins anyway..any threat to their solitude and all hell breaks loose. Well guess what..no-one owns the coast, or the waves. Last I saw blax is not on private property, or any of the other spots for that matter..as I have said before if you really cared for the coast you would have got shit happening years ago..but none of you did..no point trying to squeal now. Hopefully all you guys will realize that and like zeph..try and be constructive and have valuable input instead of the fuck you get fucked attitude. Its god for everyone, man.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 10:37pm

@ wcgland - I'll pick it up there. Because you're right, no-one owns the waves. But a community should own its values and that's what is at stake here. I won't be considered a local by surfing peers on this coast for a long, long time but for Government purposes indeed I am. Fundamentally, the dynamics of culture evolve and this creates opportunity for new ideas to bloom. People do live on this coastline for a reason and it's not because of the potential to have surfing competitions here.

As most are aware, the coast has always been kept out of the surf spotlight by the ethical and historical fear induced lack of exposure. This dynamic has changed since the Intense Wave comp, Slater, etc. This is no paranoia from the desert and in fact I know the recently formed WEPSA group has been documenting environmental impacts caused by the recent increase in 'surf exploration'.

I think the community should get a say in how their coastline is utilised and what method of tourist promotion the Government delivers. I should point out that the surfing community is almost unanimous in what they want and that surfers are a member of every family on the Eyre. I really find it exciting that the dynamic of protection and conservation of this coast is changing with the times. I see the opportunity for Friends of Sceale Bay, the Mid West Coast Surfers Association and the Western Eyre Peninsular Surfriders Association to step up and fulfill the role of environmental managers. With help we could create the worlds largest surfing reserve.

Then we can attract long term, sustainable and impact managed surf tourism as well as benefit the whole community.

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 11:50pm

After pondering along these thoughts it struck me, it's probably quantifiable. The activation of these organisations brought about by the engagement of community to stop this comp is worth a lot of money to Local and State Government. There are huge debts in allocated resources towards coastal management on the Eyre and it's a well known fact DEWNR is unable to provide basic monitoring of management plans. With pragmatic ideas flowing and the input from community surfing can really benefit biodiversity as well as tourism capital.

And it starts with turning away the competition! The organisations know what needs to be done but lack the funding to do so. Instead of providing services to the ASP, Streaky Bay Council should work with State Government to provide an avenue for these community based organisations to fill a gap in coastal resource management on the Eyre Peninsular. The cost benefit to the region is maximized and a legacy of outstanding and unique coastal management begins...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 12:25am

Zeph....you are making so much sense the ol Shmuck must have a hard time with you and you obviously well constructed philosophy re the Community is actually the custodians of a culture and the environment they use....

the problem with Jeff is his continual ....anybody can do what they want,even illegally tow thru paddle surfers...which show he talks the talk,but can't walk the walk..

I am off to the comp right now and will see our friend Kelly/ASP and get them to read all the above and hopefully get a clearer picture of why not even bother spending the money to go and discuss their Big Wave comp...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 8:43am

@ westcoastsurfer, how about posting up those texts ? seems to be a common thing phone /txt threats.
jeff stated on news.com.au - pretty much every visitor seeks me out to provide a bit of protection for them......im a 100kgs and someone would have to have a pretty serious beef to have ago at me.....I just say if ya cant dance don't come to the party .
hmm not really the type that asp/bwwt need to side with.

westcoastsurfer Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:16am

The text messages etc are being stored will
Be used properly if needed rather than posted on here. Don't want to make any mistakes whilst stopping 100 kg DANCING QUEEN

trickykid's picture
trickykid's picture
trickykid Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:32am

Zeph - You are spot on. The threat of increasing en-masse surf tourism and the resultant damage to the coastal and marine environment is something that is very much driving the WEPSA. There are already opportunities being pursued to work in partnership with government agencies as well as other NGO's to attract funding for works such as track (car and foot traffic) rationalisation, carpark revegetation, educational signage (i.e. don't cut down the native veg for campfires, don't shit in the carpark, take your rubbish with you, keep vehicles out of the dunes, show etiquette in the water etc.).

Brutus - good to have you on board...like I said earlier, this thing is going to be fought on many different levels, and there are a lot of people involved who can bring different skills and / or experience to the table. The whole of the EP surfing community, is united on this and woking together. Any support or advice from interstate or international surfers, surfing organisations or coastal groups who have opposed the commercial exploitation of their coastal area is appreciated.

westcoastsurfer Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:39am

That's exactly right udo. He has a serious and well documented history of threatening those much smaller than him including women( the Anna jetski incident at blacks). Then when anyone stands up to him he runs to the cops there are numerous of these so fuck it lets go through a few eh!
1. A guy from elliston ( Jeff will argue this doesn't count as the blokes parents were not born in a cave at walkers rocks and were not brother and sister so he is a blow in ). Any way this guy accepted a dance from Jeff after telling him to take his jetski tow through antics and fuck off. I did feel for Jeff as the kids out there were not really going the four foot sets so a couple of waves were getting wasted. So the dancing queen went down to the cops and also the guys employer the council and wrote formal letters/ complaints etc trying to get corny to lose his job, blokes got kids to feed etc.
2. The well documented running over a 50 kilo woman at blacks.
3. Towing through a streaky guy, bumping him with his ski and the constant harrassment in the street at the guys work etc. just cause this guy wasn't much of a dancer.
This list could be added too by many on this coast and would highlight his bullying ways and like a typical bully when he runs into someone who feels the rhythm no matter how big they are he sits back down with the rest of the unfortunate ladies no one has asked for a tango yet.
This bloke is not qualified to run a hot tub let alone a BWWT comp
Ps. There are plenty more I know I have more but how about a few in the know post a few on here too.
Keep it to documented and proven FACTS no bullshitting!

pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters's picture
pussyrioters Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 10:38am

Sounds like plenty of support for your associations around the coast, keep up the fight
We have plenty of stories from NW WA, all involve Jeff and his insatiable appetite for (not just pies) illegal tow ins.
1. At the point and a letter left on his windscreen stating illegal jet ski use and basically stop the crap, well then Jeff got all pumped up and threatened our friend with severe violence. Of course Jeff fizzled and left.
2 Rolls up to surf, on ski no partner calling us pussies( love the name) and wants to tow through us, told to f@$k off and then the threats fly. Gone when we get in, scooted up the coast.
That's the type of person he is, they are the facts.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 11:03am

Hi Guys..had a good chat to Kelly today,and a guy from ZOSEA/ASP....am contacting Peter Mel,but first indications are that ASP would not be interested in partnering with Jeff and that they would not consider holding an event if there was a majority objection..

will keep working on ASP/Peter Mel......looks very doubtful that Jeff could pull this off as Kelly is very aware of Jeffs shortcomings,and was not supportive of Jeff at all...in fact.....nah we''ll leave it for now...

please be aware I have asked the New ASP guys to have a read of this forum...so keep the emotion out of it,and stck to the facts!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 11:20am

so , me thinking no reps from asp/bwwt will be at the meeting.....

boggles's picture
boggles's picture
boggles Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 12:10pm

i suppose that the plan from mr smucker is just a vendetta against paddle surfers. he has been tow surfing this big wave for years but as of this winter, tow surfing has been frowned upon if and when paddle surfers are in the surf line up. why else would he try to organise a big wave contest for paddle in surfers? to spoil the local surfers fun.

laotsu's picture
laotsu's picture
laotsu Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 4:04pm

Can anybody verify reports that there is a serious push from the V8 Supercars to hold a burnout competition in Jeff Schmucker's back yard? We need to stop this - I have spoken to the residents of Mr Schmucker's house and apparently there is only ONE person who wants to hold it there. ALL the other people that live there are against it. This is bullshit and must not be allowed to happen. It is severely disrespectful to the majority of residents of Mr Schmucker's house. It will do irreparable damage to his backyard. Apparently the ONE guy that wants it held there reckons he knows what is best for ALL the other residents of the house. Oh the gall! Unbelievevaiebleablelbe!
I even heard there could be motorbikes towing skateboarders into the big hill at the back of the yard in between burnouts in an attempt at getting on telly.Crazytalk.

On a serious note, its really nice to see that a bunch of dudes from Penong all the way down to the bottom of the peninsula can band together and project a strong and united surfing community standing up for what is right and vowing to protect the fragile coastal environment as well as the old-school surfing vibe of what is an amazing place from the reckless exploits of one man hell-bent on forever swimming against the tide for no other reason than an unhealthy spread of butter for his grossly enlarged ego.
What Jeff doesn't realise, sadly, is that its not The World vs Jeff like he thinks it is - its always been the other way around. Its Jeff vs The World, and the sooner he sheaths his battle sword away forever, the better for EVERYONE...him, included.

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:02pm

Can someone please tell me what is so FRAGILE about the environment? other than the Osprey?Is it the cliffs? mother nature giveth..mother nature taketh away..like putting steps down at locks or stopping cars at walkers r u serious? Greenies can say what ever suits their ideals..they still drive cars, use the internet, burn fossil fuels, use shit paper..
@ Brutus..seems Kelly wasn't to stinky to use smux as a tow partner or guide when he was over? even seems he was spewin' some idiot told him to go to fowlers instead of stay at the bombie where a sick arvo session ensued.
Paddle surfers never hit it until enough crew were around and it has become..how you say 'mainstream'..i.e progressive enough to BELIEVE you can paddle it.
If people are realistic, if I may use that word, about this they can see pro's have been digging further and further out my way, footage-videos-mag spreads-grom profiles..hell even a few locals have got notoriety and $$$/a supplement income over this...
Tell me how a comp held in the ocean on boats is going to affect the dolphins?
Maybe instead the newly created SurfProtectionCrew(or SPC) should use council to benefit them instead of fight them?but hey what do I know? I'm just a fucken brainiac!!

careforthecoast Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:07pm

Well been very interesting watching this thread unwind today .... :)
It is reported ASP guys will be in town 20th and there will be a meeting at the council with stakeholders. Stakeholders will listen to ASP guys see what they have to say !
Stakeholders will give there advice !
Bottom line is the west coast has it own brand to sell : Pristine Rugged Fragile Wilderness unstained by corporatization, Perfect and free for the world to come and experience in its wild state. Everything the adventure's could every dream of, one of the last remaining frontiers on earth that needs to be conserved for our grommets future and their grommets to pass on and share with others an adventure of a life time !

wcgland's picture
wcgland's picture
wcgland Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:34pm

@ careforthecoast..once again that word 'fragile" and rugged don't really go together..and corporatization..well even Pt Lincoln can't get enough funds to turn it into the next gold coast...its more like fear and paranioa or an unwillingness to accept change and a distint selfishness of ones surroundings is the main reasons IMO anyway..Have you ever driven out from Cakkies along the dirt and hit all the No Trespassing signs? up to the blowhole? will people still be able to do that if the coast is so fragile? or down to smoothpools along the front is that going as well?
Its all well and good to have an environmental policy but by the sounds of it surfers are trying to dictate just as much as their 'corporate enimies"!

boman's picture
boman's picture
boman Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 10:22pm

I've spent my entire life living and surfing on this coast and the thought of turning it into yet another area that gets repeatedly violated by pro surfers

boman's picture
boman's picture
boman Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 10:28pm

Makes me sick to the stomach. There's so many other spots in this country and planet that have the infrastructure to host a big wave wank fest. We live in small remote areas dealing with the heat, flies and fuck all supplies so we can surf the areas waves with good people who are on the same wave length. Surely common sense has to prevail on this one. Why upset all local surfers and surf communities for the back pocket of a fat pig that can't even roll his arms over anymore. Unite streaky and west coast were all here for the same reason. Even if this contest gets approve we ain't gunna sit back and watch it unfold I'm sure

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 11:01pm

@ wcgland - I like how you skip from issue to issue trying to find a reason to declare a united coastline paranoid, selfish, dictators, unrealistic and what I'm guessing was meant to be hypocritical.

But i'll bite, here i'm not gonna paraphrase, educate yourself (some are more relevant than others but should give you an idea why it's described by DEWNR and ecologists as pristine and fragile):

http://www.chainofbays.com.au/

http://fnpw.org.au/parks-and-reserves/south-australia-national-parks/eyr...

http://www.nrm.gov.au/about/nrm/regions/sa-eyrp.html

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/files/9dc4644a-6ada-4a4c-a4de-9e4f00b22...

http://www.epnrm.sa.gov.au/Portals/4/NRM%20Plans/Plans/Caring%20for%20ou...

http://www.eyreregion.com.au/life-here/lifestyle/environment

http://ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/HC270799/HDL/ENV/enven/vol114.htm

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/Knowledge_Bank/Science_research/people-...

"Achieving a sustainable future for arid environments requires an understanding of arid zone ecosystems, biodiversity, land use and planning options and their complex interactions."
http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Water/Rural-and-regional-water/arid-land-su...

"Tourism in the drylands depends on an intact natural environment, and land degradation and other environmental impacts reduce their appeal to tourists. But in these fragile environments, what strategies should be adopted to minimise the impacts of larger-scale tourism? The answer in the drylands and elsewhere is sustainable tourism. This is a prerequisite for the conservation of healthy ecosystems in tourism areas."
http://newsbox.unccd.int/#Anchor-InFocus-1

And I like this from the EPNRM, which describes the region as fragile in many of its publications. "Eyre Peninsular's economic well being is almost entirely reliant on well managed and sustainable use of natural resources."
http://www.epnrm.sa.gov.au/AboutUs/OurRegion.aspx

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 12:12am

wcgland..Kelly did not use Jeff as a guide or to tow in...when I spoke to him yesterday with one of the new Reps from the ASP,Kelly was not very complimnterary about Jeff and when I told him the story of Jeff trying to organize the BWT in SA ,he laughed and gave it the gong!

In conversation I mentioned the footage/Photos etc...he actually tried to buy all..so it could not be used...I have known Kelly for 25 years,and have surfed many times with him,at our spots in Vic...never a drama,the guy just loves surfing challenging waves and has a profound respect for locals..

will be contacting Pete Mel today to discuss if its even worth spending the money for the airfare to come down to SA...

westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 12:44am

On a serious note I would like to send out our love and support from all the west coast surfing/ fishing and farming community to thee REEVES family.
I am sure these best wishes come from australia wide. We hope that bliss, Peter, Matty, lidds and all other close family and friends are doing as best as can be expected in these times. Our thoughts and prayers are withe you!
You are an amazing west coast gem bliss and battle on there will never be another salt of the earth ladie like you. I can only dream that my daughters can emulate your legasy in some way. The fight is not over by a long way and you are a true west coat legend. We love you bliss

westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 12:48am

On a serious note I would like to send out our love and support from all the west coast surfing/ fishing and farming community to thee REEVES family.
I am sure these best wishes come from australia wide. We hope that bliss, Peter, Matty, lidds and all other close family and friends are doing as best as can be expected in these times. Our thoughts and prayers are withe you!
You are an amazing west coast gem bliss and battle on there will never be another salt of the earth ladie like you. I can only dream that my daughters can emulate your legasy in some way. The fight is not over by a long way and you are a true west coast legend. We love you bliss

gonad-man's picture
gonad-man's picture
gonad-man Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 8:21am

@zeph...all those links above,could this mean that people cared for the environment and coast before this comp ...heck maybe gobland was wrong when he said people only started giving a shit when he wanted to start this comp...everyone keep signing the petition

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 8:49am

interesting with 15 pages of comments tim Bonython is yet to comment ? tim I know youre following this......
you have probably taken and used more footage of this coast than anyone for monetary gain....and are one of the few 'for' this big wave comp........timmy why the silence ????

salt's picture
salt's picture
salt Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 9:42am

I am not a west coast local (often wish I was) I am a respectful visitor to that part of the world. Lets hope the powers that be make the right decision on this one and just let the place be. Once this fight is over, I reckon we should all just shut the fuck up about that stretch of coast. As SA surfer's we love to talk about the place and see photos of it because it is so special, but it is to our detriment. As we all know this site attracts views from right round the globe, the more we go on about it the more people prick their ears up. Deterrents such as Noah attack, cold water and the hard arse reputation of locals are becoming less and less of an issue as surfers weigh up the risks of getting chomped, cold toes or hassled out with the opportunity of scoring uncrowded world class waves. As followers of this site will well know as soon as the WC SA is mentioned all hell breaks loose, I don't need to mention the threads as we all know them very well as they tend to take a long time to die. The area brings out the passion in people, gets us on the keyboard, I am not innocent on this either. Sign the petition people, lets nip it in the bud now, and let this and other threads on the place drift off into the internet ether never to return.

drjeffie-mrhyde_2's picture
drjeffie-mrhyde_2's picture
drjeffie-mrhyde_2 Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 10:30am

JEFFIE: Well Hyde, who is wcgland udo ?
HYDE: There the guy who love's to cause trouble and strive for many concerned.
JEFFIE: Stop it Hyde don't tell every one you are going to dob us in again.
HYDE: Bit late for that Jeffie think the world already worked that out a long tome ago.
JEFFIE: Stop it Hyde I just wanted to be famous.
HYDE: You are, Jeffie and by the time the inspector gadgets have finished with you your own dog will disown you.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 10:37am

Hi Guys

spoke to Gary Linden today who,on behalf of the ASP/BWT will be coming over to have the meetings with the stakeholders and decide if there really is a s much angst as this forum has shown...if so I doubt that there could be a comp..

hopefully I will hook him up with Kelly tomorrow,so they can have a chat,and get his take on Jeff and the SA situation....hopefully you guys will present a United Front and stop the comp .

their Plan B is WA...and proably less issues there.......as Cow bombie has been saturated in the media...

good luck...I am officially retiring from the forums etc...just found out I have beaten cancer for the second time.....and want to get on with life...respect to all you guys..

over and out!

westcoastsurfer Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 10:43am

Cheers Brutus.
All of us here on the west coast appreciate your support and wish you all the best for the future.
Congrats on the big win!

careforthecoast Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 11:30am

Thanks brutus much appreciated and respect to you! Hope all goes well for you :)
Yes we are united and the drums are beating from one end of the coast to the other.
We realize they really would like to run the comp here but some places are just meant to be left alone and set aside for it's long term viability so all travelers can enjoy it in its pristine state free from commercialization.

luv-the-mid's picture
luv-the-mid's picture
luv-the-mid Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 at 2:02pm

Hey team ive live and surfed all over many many comps etc... all over ive been surfing on the east coast and lived there for 12 years on and off from 1982 in that 30 years I can count on two hands the surfers I know that have come and surfed the west coast of SA 99.9 percent of surfers even less will never come to the west coast of SA ever why ? Sharks Sharks Skarks and the cost $ its cheaper to have there two weeks off once a year and go to indo or a boat trip .. wa vic qld have comps on how many SA surfers are loading the car up to go surf theses places cause they had a comp on ? all 10 of you.. its all good if we run the port Lincoln comp and that's a fun week end part of turaramma festival good times for all sa surfers having fun nothing wrong with it at all ... A big wave comp is not like a short board comp these guys are older surfer with balls looking to get a buzz out of life still and they paddle in. no jet skis ... where talking 2 days of surfing a year may be a week of having some great cool surfers here .. I think its no big deal we had a junior comp do toe in once for gotten a week later ... there will never be a huge APS comp on the EP ever may be a big wave comp ? and it would be a buzz to be in a boat and watch from the side good fun then the guys would leave and it may happen a year later or not ? what would happen a few more 96 boards may be made some of the guys that do toe in may turn in to real surfers and start paddling in/ In ten to 20 years most of you guys wont even be surfing at all I don't own any thing on this planet at all iam just a guy having fun why iam here thats all ... I don't own the west coast or the mid or south coast or KI .... And I don't care if you had a 25 guys out side of steaky bay or not but if there was big deal it would be a fun thing to see then it would be forgotten about till next year thats if it would even goes a head again ? its one planet where not at war with each other here cause a few blokes want to show the other blokes they have balls or are we? if you people realy want to stop surfers going any where in the world stop people from having sex and making kids cause some of the kids will surf and may be paddle out on a 96 one day and good for them ....
ps how many sa surfers even ride sa boards at all your all riding east coast pop outs where some kid gets $ 20 and hour to turn a rail that cant even shape real sa surfers ride SA boards hand shaped made to order .... Hey I know of 5 surfers that may come to cactus next year for a week or two thats a big deal ... have a comp trail it for a year see what happens iam sure after it you will say is that it no big deal at all and you had a fun week end ... The Sharks will take care of the crowds always have always will .........
if all you guys have so much time on your hands focus it on drink driving and the folks thats die from that every year on the EP