Zipperless Isurus wetsuit

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters started the topic in Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 10:42pm

What’s everyone’s opinion on zipperless wetsuits? I’m about to pull the trigger on an Isurus and was thinking of zipperless, but I’m concerned that my 54 year old body will refuse to play along with letting me get in and out without a personal assistant.

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Sunday, 7 May 2023 at 11:30pm

Yeah, i was worried about that, too. And i am the same age as you, with all the creakiness. My experience was that the first maybe 3 times i wore it, the struggle was real. Then, it just became no more difficult than any other wettie to put on/take off. Maybe even a little easier. I've had mine for a few months now. Just my experience with it. It is warm and comfy in the water... best wettie i have had. I will be getting another.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Monday, 8 May 2023 at 11:30am

Personally, i'm not a fan.
Grabbed one (QS) when i was around that age (60 now) and it gave me so much grief that i gave to a much younger mate.
Granted, i have a couple of shoulder issues but this thing was a nightmare for me. Who am i kidding? Chest zips shit me but i've persevered with them.
Still seems like the longest part of your surf (for me)is getting in and out of rubber as you get older.

If anyone has any tips how to get into and out of those Hurley's with the sticky smooth skin, i'm all ears.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 8 May 2023 at 11:43am

I've always been fascinated when hearing complaints such as the above. I've never considered myself particularly flexible yet I have two zipperless wetsuits, one an Isurus yamamoto and the other needessentials Yulex, and I've never had a moment of frustration getting in or out of either of them.

Perhaps it's a body shape thing?

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 8 May 2023 at 12:40pm

I'm not too fussed about wetsuits, mainly look for deals rather than features. But in saying that, I had one zipperless 4/3 steamer and it was great. No issues at all.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 8 May 2023 at 1:02pm

I love them, though when I first got one I was a bit confused and forced my entire body through the hole meant for your head (well done Needs Essentials for creating a wetsuit so flexible that I managed to do that and it sprung back tight). I don't imagine I'll ever back to a zipper wetsuit.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 8 May 2023 at 1:11pm

Ha I remember when they first came out O'Neil gave customers a VHS tape showing how to get in and out of them. Old mate had one, hated it.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 8 May 2023 at 2:39pm

After salt water zipper corrosion on two of my wetties I went zipper less all the way. My lazy ass means I never get to rinse them( I know I should). Newer wetsuits are pretty flexy. I'm in Rip Curls and I'm older than Robin and Wax and have no worries.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Monday, 8 May 2023 at 3:08pm
stunet wrote:

...Perhaps it's a body shape thing?

Good point.
I reckon that was probably a big part of my issues for sure. Was at the upper end in the size guide.
It may be a lot be a lot better if you're at the 'easier' end of the of the sizing chart.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 8 May 2023 at 4:26pm

Never had a problem with zipperless suits, on or off, Ripcurl or Isurus and I'm soon to hit 60

RockyIsland's picture
RockyIsland's picture
RockyIsland Monday, 8 May 2023 at 5:31pm

I am 64 and have a Isurus Hooded 3/3 zipper less. Best suit I have ever had. Moulds to your body and the compression tight thingy really works....dont seem to get as sore. My only complaint is you have to spend a bit of time getting it on and off as the moulding effect it really sucks onto your skin.
Super easy to get over the head.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Monday, 8 May 2023 at 6:37pm

Ok,thanks everybody for the advice. I’ll think I’ll give it a go. Gotta try once I ‘spose

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Wednesday, 10 May 2023 at 3:04pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Ha I remember when they first came out O'Neil gave customers a VHS tape showing how to get in and out of them. Old mate had one, hated it.

Haha, I didn't know zipper-less wetsuits have been around for that long

yodai's picture
yodai's picture
yodai Friday, 12 May 2023 at 5:37pm

Got my first isurus 22 ziperless recently
At 69 it’s a real struggle
Great in the water but I think I’ll stick to the chest zip for ease of getting in and out
No doubt about it ;;isurus best suit ever
Well worth the $$
Fit like a glove

yodai's picture
yodai's picture
yodai Friday, 12 May 2023 at 5:37pm

Got my first isurus 22 ziperless recently
At 69 it’s a real struggle
Great in the water but I think I’ll stick to the chest zip for ease of getting in and out
No doubt about it ;;isurus best suit ever
Well worth the $$
Fit like a glove

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum Friday, 12 May 2023 at 6:33pm

I can vouch for the chest zip Isurus (although the zip itself isn’t as well designed as some others on the market). I bought one last year after researching online and seeing positive feedback on a separate swellnet thread. The fit and feel is very good. It’s a high quality product.

Whether it is the Yamamoto, compression feature, back panel, arms up design or a combination of them all, I definitely feel better for longer in the Isurus (most noticeable later on in the session).

I’ve had the occasional flush down the back but nothing too bad. Perhaps that is less of an issue in the zipperless.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Friday, 12 May 2023 at 8:47pm

What’d you pay Clivus?

I’m open to most brands of wetties but currently pretty annoyed about a 3/2 Ripcurl Flashbomb. High end suit but the arms fill with water really easily. Would have only worn it 12-15 times. Doesn’t feel that warm either. Maybe because of the water getting in.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 12 May 2023 at 10:12pm
Bnkref wrote:

What’d you pay Clivus?

I’m open to most brands of wetties but currently pretty annoyed about a 3/2 Ripcurl Flashbomb. High end suit but the arms fill with water really easily. Would have only worn it 12-15 times. Doesn’t feel that warm either. Maybe because of the water getting in.

This one bnkref?

https://www.ripcurl.com/au/mens/wetsuits/steamers/flashbomb-fusion-3-2mm...

Stay warmer for longer in our revolutionary wetsuit with seams that don't leak. The Rip Curl FlashBomb Fusion wetsuit with Fusion Dry Seam Technology features the most technically advanced seam construction we have ever created to create a stronger seal without the need for stitching that can lead to water seepage over time (96% stitch free construction).

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum Friday, 12 May 2023 at 11:21pm
Bnkref wrote:
What’d you pay Clivus?

Can’t remember exactly sorry mate. Wasn’t cheap but I’m hoping the durability means it’s ultimately good value

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 6:33am
icandig wrote:
Bnkref wrote:

What’d you pay Clivus?

This one bnkref?

https://www.ripcurl.com/au/mens/wetsuits/steamers/flashbomb-fusion-3-2mm...

Stay warmer for longer in our revolutionary wetsuit with seams that don't leak. The Rip Curl FlashBomb Fusion wetsuit with Fusion Dry Seam Technology features the most technically advanced seam construction we have ever created to create a stronger seal without the need for stitching that can lead to water seepage over time (96% stitch free construction).

That one looks more advanced / high end. Mine was from last year. It’s got the flashbomb lining except for the arms , chest and shoulders. So it’s a nice and light suit. Maybe I got unlucky and bought a lemon.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 8:23am

You used to be able to take them back, no questions asked and either repair or replace. Sadly I think it's no longer the case. I was hoping for feedback on the fusion though. Reluctant to shell out 800 bucks if it's just marketing hoo ha.

Barrel Daithwaite's picture
Barrel Daithwaite's picture
Barrel Daithwaite Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 7:47pm

Recently pulled the trigger on one of these. Got the 3/3 so will wait till it gets a bit colder. They just restocked if anyone was waiting for an MT

More tubes please's picture
More tubes please's picture
More tubes please Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 1:08pm
stunet wrote:

I've always been fascinated when hearing complaints such as the above. I've never considered myself particularly flexible yet I have two zipperless wetsuits, one an Isurus yamamoto and the other needessentials Yulex, and I've never had a moment of frustration getting in or out of either of them.

How’s the yulex needs wetsuit go Stu? Any difference from the neoprene? Got a couple of needs wetsuits and really love them, although haven’t tried the yulex range yet.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 1:35pm
stunet wrote:

I think body shape has a lot to do with it. I’m 6’2” with a big wingspan. I could not get in or out of a chest zip suit I had without help because of the length of my upper arms. My elbow was just too far from my shoulder.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 3:03pm
More tubes please wrote:
stunet wrote:

How’s the yulex needs wetsuit go Stu? Any difference from the neoprene? Got a couple of needs wetsuits and really love them, although haven’t tried the yulex range yet.

No difference at all. I was an early adopter of Patagonia's first gen Yulex and that nearly put me off for life. However, when I'd read they'd completely changed the formula - while still somehow retaining the Yulex name? - from guayule to hevea rubber I figured it was worth another go.

Huge improvement. No difference to neoprene, and I doubt anyone could tell the difference. Seems to be lasting well too; mine's had two seasons of use.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 3:06pm
chin wrote:
stunet wrote:

I think body shape has a lot to do with it. I’m 6’2” with a big wingspan. I could not get in or out of a chest zip suit I had without help because of the length of my upper arms. My elbow was just too far from my shoulder.

That plus rotor cuff issues mean they are out for me too. Have a Needs Yulex chest zip, toasty warm, lasting well too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 3:11pm
chin wrote:
stunet wrote:

Yeah, I mentioned that cos my body shape appears to be the global mean or something. Like I'm mannequin size. Used to work near clothing outlets that'd hock sample pieces and they'd always fit me. 32 waist, can't remember chest, 75 kegs. No odd bod problems like long MP arms, Lowey gut, or Occy legs. Just average normal.

In wetsuits, irrespective of the brand, I'm an MT and they all fit sweet.