2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 3:01pm

Yeah wow that's a bit of a perversion of Westminster government. So... usually (apart from the current trend of failing upwards) the Minister responsible resigns when things go bad - that should surely mean multiple resignations are inbound.
And sociopaths managing a pandemic = deaths.
The way the ALP has been from their start isn't inspiring confidence at all, but they seem better than what the LNP just did. If only there was a proper alternative to the two parties.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 3:16pm
Supafreak wrote:

I would like to hear from any small businesses that thank the Scott Morrison Party everywhere he goes. …………anyone out there ?

..... paging @info

hehe

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 3:54pm

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/aug/17/scott-morrison-re...

Some questions that I think that need to be answered:

1. Is the company Morrison has registered going to have anything to do with financing by Dr Handa?
2. Is Dr Handa a member of Hillsong or a similar church of the prosperity gospel? (Religious sect he leads).
3. Is the Governor General a member of any similar church group?

These might be tin hat questions, but the whole saga stinks .....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 9:29pm

I hope Tingle writes a piece on the two “ journalists “ that kept this secret until their book was released .

. Some interesting comments also .

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 17 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm

I can’t believe the usurped ministers aren’t spewing more vitriol considering they are in opposition now and he is no longer the PM. Andrews just giving a polite expression of her thoughts and calling for his resignation.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 5:37am
Supafreak wrote:

I hope Tingle writes a piece on the two “ journalists “ that kept this secret until their book was released . https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1559853691447824384?s=21&t=epwsEf4gnaP.... Some interesting comments also .

The whole saga is just getting dirtier by the day.
New book coming up: Scott Morrison, the man who destroyed the Liberal Party.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 8:40am
seeds wrote:

I can’t believe the usurped ministers aren’t spewing more vitriol considering they are in opposition now and he is no longer the PM. Andrews just giving a polite expression of her thoughts and calling for his resignation.

Reckon they will start to soon ....

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 11:34am

totaly agree with you all, oz is a plutocracy run by the rich for the rich, the ruleing classes are above the rule of law and their is no rule of law for the "plebs".
example...eddie obeid ex labour minister jailed for corruption, used his ministerial position for his own gain $$$ and kept that profit for his family trust(?); $20 million+ then used that money for future property project on nsw nrth coast.
and that "deal" reeks of nepotism and cronyism.
cime does'nt pay unless your'e a govt beuracrat or polly.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 12:10pm

Scomo is scum. He's shown us time and time again, Pstftt national interest my arse more like cluster fuck from the top down at the expense of all below. Gutless prude who should have never held the title of P,M but he did. What a waste, what a legacy he will be remembered for. Fuck all except deception of the democratic process. It's no wonder people turn away. Suburb of Cook currently stands for little outside of self interest to the Australian people. Car thief's Of Sydney please dump and burn out the cars there. The great Australian deception we had to have? Or self opinionated evangelical crusade from within? Looking like an American blue print from day one.
At the expense and to the expense of all Australians. One set of rules for the majority, and continuing deception from the top. Who can you trust? Scomo and Trump? Two clowns who create more division and hot air in times of need than anything else. Fuck em. Keep your eggs packed and stacked.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 12:07pm

Funny, or sad, thing about Scomo’s actions is that when the republic referendum was held 20 odd years ago, one of the conservative arguments against it was that a President could have too much power.
And here we have Dictator Morrison doing just that with the existing Westminister system.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 12:34pm
Distracted wrote:

Funny, or sad, thing about Scomo’s actions is that when the republic referendum was held 20 odd years ago, one of the conservative arguments against it was that a President could have too much power.
And here we have Dictator Morrison doing just that with the existing Westminister system.

Yep, that’s it and they will be the same conservatives that will oppose the indigenous voice to parliament arguing it will give too much power to our First Nations.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 1:04pm

They really are showing themselves to be as useful as a rusty bent nail. Hopefully closer to obsolete than repetition of deception. But keep the loop holes open and anything can happen at the highest ends of government.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 1:08pm
Robwilliams wrote:

They really are showing themselves to be as useful as a rusty bent nail. Hopefully closer to obsolete than repetition of deception. But keep the loop holes open and anything can happen at the highest ends of government.

Political norms and conventions can’t cover it all and especially so when it comes to political leaders determined to abuse these standards to gain/retain power.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm

Sadly to the detriment of nations and people world wide. Australian people demand better not just for them selves but for the future generations to come. Abuse of power sums it up perfectly. No reason to call it any different. They don't give a damn outside their bubble of influence. It's no wonder they become so resented. Make no excuse. Us and them. They continually show us no different. He didn't just over shadow his ministers politically but a whole nation of people looking for hope and leadership to a better Australian way of life. Polli tricks is a rough game but if there are no rules, why would the Australian people continue to want to play for vested interests? Fuck em all and what they stood for and covered up. True leeches of the Australian people.Nothing more. And to think they could have stood for something more is impossible, where there is no transparency or account this behaviour will be repeated to some extent. I really hope young and old continue to vote with their voices and feet towards a just, and transparent political process for all Australians. Any thing less is far from democratic. Society deserves a faith in humanity, and community anything less is a rort usually from the top down. Scomo sucked, sux and will continue too. Nothing more than a leach.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 18 Aug 2022 at 6:49pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Sadly to the detriment of nations and people world wide. Australian people demand better not just for them selves but for the future generations to come. Abuse of power sums it up perfectly. No reason to call it any different. They don't give a damn outside their bubble of influence. It's no wonder they become so resented. Make no excuse. Us and them. They continually show us no different. He didn't just over shadow his ministers politically but a whole nation of people looking for hope and leadership to a better Australian way of life. Polli tricks is a rough game but if there are no rules, why would the Australian people continue to want to play for vested interests? Fuck em all and what they stood for and covered up. True leeches of the Australian people.Nothing more. And to think they could have stood for something more is impossible, where there is no transparency or account this behaviour will be repeated to some extent. I really hope young and old continue to vote with their voices and feet towards a just, and transparent political process for all Australians. Any thing less is far from democratic. Society deserves a faith in humanity, and community anything less is a rort usually from the top down. Scomo sucked, sux and will continue too. Nothing more than a leach.

Rob Williams. Here, here..

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 19 Aug 2022 at 9:31am

Albo is the wage thief in chief
By Houses and Holes in Australian Economy,
He’s from the projects, they said. His Mum was a welfare battler, they said. He’ll lift wages, they said.

They lied.

Albo is the smiling assassin of capital and he has set about what is shaping as the greatest accelerated destruction of Australian workers’ wellbeing in a century:

There has not been a singular drawdown of this depth and pace for real wages in 70 years at least:

For perspective, check out the same chart for the US, the home of rapacious capitalism. The real income fall is much smaller because wage growth is much higher:

The problem for Aussie workers is threefold:

Albo is protecting the coal and gas cartels that will rip $50bn out of the economy while adding 6% to CPI over the next year.
Albo is planning to uncork half a million accelerated slave visas and the highest immigration rate in history to pancake already weak wages growth of just 2.6% WPI and 1.9% AWE.
The net effect is that Albo will make inflation worse and wages weaker, driving the RBA to crash house prices.
Perhaps the Coalition was right about Albo’s economic inexperience. That is, he means well but is the useful idiot of capital, as woke thought so often is.

Or, perhaps Albo is an overly rigid leader, unable to adapt to the fast-moving demands of economic shocks and grasping ever more tightly to his own sinking platform with each blow to it.

Or, perhaps Albo is defensive and actually despised his mother for her weakness. Now he is acting out that rage upon the nation’s workers.

Or, perhaps Albo is a conman and knows full well what he is doing.

I don’t know which it is.

All we can observe with certainty is that Albo is overseeing the fastest and deepest shock to Australian workers’ real income and wealth since forever in the middle of the greatest national income boom since the 1890s.

This is a gigantic WTF for a “Labor” government.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 10:44am

Despite his protestations, it can now been revealed Scomo is not our oldest ancestor- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-20/creature-with-no-anus-not-related...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 11:06am
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Albo is the wage thief in chief
By Houses and Holes in Australian Economy,
He’s from the projects, they said. His Mum was a welfare battler, they said. He’ll lift wages, they said.

They lied.

Albo is the smiling assassin of capital and he has set about what is shaping as the greatest accelerated destruction of Australian workers’ wellbeing in a century:

There has not been a singular drawdown of this depth and pace for real wages in 70 years at least:

For perspective, check out the same chart for the US, the home of rapacious capitalism. The real income fall is much smaller because wage growth is much higher:

The problem for Aussie workers is threefold:

Albo is protecting the coal and gas cartels that will rip $50bn out of the economy while adding 6% to CPI over the next year.
Albo is planning to uncork half a million accelerated slave visas and the highest immigration rate in history to pancake already weak wages growth of just 2.6% WPI and 1.9% AWE.
The net effect is that Albo will make inflation worse and wages weaker, driving the RBA to crash house prices.
Perhaps the Coalition was right about Albo’s economic inexperience. That is, he means well but is the useful idiot of capital, as woke thought so often is.

Or, perhaps Albo is an overly rigid leader, unable to adapt to the fast-moving demands of economic shocks and grasping ever more tightly to his own sinking platform with each blow to it.

Or, perhaps Albo is defensive and actually despised his mother for her weakness. Now he is acting out that rage upon the nation’s workers.

Or, perhaps Albo is a conman and knows full well what he is doing.

I don’t know which it is.

All we can observe with certainty is that Albo is overseeing the fastest and deepest shock to Australian workers’ real income and wealth since forever in the middle of the greatest national income boom since the 1890s.

This is a gigantic WTF for a “Labor” government.

Labor have been in government less than 6 months. You may be correct but reckon you are going a bit hard too early, let's see how things pan out over the next year or so.
Regardless, the new government are going to be a lot better for Australia than they previous rabble led by the Pentecostal wannabe El Presidente..

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 1:10pm

They may be “a lot better” but it’d be prudent to understand who their masters are and what their reason for being actually is as a political party.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 7:25pm

"Or, perhaps Albo is an overly rigid leader, unable to adapt to the fast-moving demands of economic shocks and grasping ever more tightly to his own sinking platform with each blow to it."

sounds familiar...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 7:27pm

"They may be “a lot better” but it’d be prudent to understand who their masters are and what their reason for being actually is as a political party."

ya gotta wonder....

like, really really wonder...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
AndyM wrote:

They may be “a lot better” but it’d be prudent to understand who their masters are and what their reason for being actually is as a political party.

I an ideal world their masters should be Australian citizens. Ok maybe not an ideal world. My limited understanding of how the Labor Party operates is that there would be ongoing internal conflict within the different factions within the party, the left more aligned with the union movement, the right more supportive of business groups, the union faction aligned with more traditional Catholic union etc.
Then the party has to work within the media/social environment of Australia. If they propose anything too radical as some commentators suggest they should, they will be attacked by the media and it's hard to enact policies from opposition, remember what happened when they suggested increasing taxes on resources? Twiggy and Gina in workers gear in the back of utes..... And that was that, welcome Tony Abbott.
Lot's of masters I would say, but I would still argue that they are the better party to have in government for the vast majority of Australians. I personally think Albo has started well and hope he grows into the role and can start to get some positive changes happening....
That's my 2cents worth.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 10:34pm

"...My limited understanding of how the Labor Party operates is that there would be ongoing internal conflict within the different factions within the party, the left more aligned with the union movement, the right more supportive of business groups, the union faction aligned with more traditional Catholic union etc..."

surely these factions agree that looking after gas cartels is not the role of the labor party?

especially when the businesses these 'business factions' represent, are experiencing such exorbiant and debilitating energy prices...

businesses are literally shutting down or becoming unviable due to gas prices. real busineses, that actually make stuff, stuff that is required / desired due to a failing a supply chain model... a model that should have been the bane of labor for decades... should have been...

shit just don't add up...

then there's the moral argument... its fucking war time profitteering of the most nefarious in natures!

if the supposed 'left' cannot even make a stand against such things... then who the hell will?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 10:53pm

The problem for Labor in Government with the current problems are that the problems are structural and been put in place over a significant time.

Governance is usually incremental which is useless when you have the current East Coast gas / power cluster, lowly payed unskilled work force, rising inflation and a broken supply chain.

Regardless of anyone's opinions these wont be solved tomorrow or the day after.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 20 Aug 2022 at 11:41pm

They started pretty well, Albo quick flight to Tokyo and Penny on a lightning tour of the Pacific - with the big needed change of being able to re-engage there. I think there's a real desire to see them do something in the nation's interest and they've got the opportunity on a plate and its hair-pulling as they seem to be doing nothing (gas/energy). The precedent is there (thanks Alan), the mechanism is in place (thanks Malcolm)... the sounds aren't good. ALP are at their best when they do considered nation building - ie things in the nation's interest. ie in the interest of the Australian people, and I feel like I really have to spell it out here.

Also, what's the CO2, on average, emitted by each person living an Australian lifestyle each year? Add 200,000 more per annum? + 500,000 visa backlog?
We've had the state of the environment report lob in after the election as well, and surely if there's a place to adopt a Greens 1990s style population policy, it's now? How much more farm and bushland bulldozed for suburbs? And yet every announcement is noisily in the opposite direction, in a big way. Not to mention this will lower wage growth for traditional labor constituents - the initial pandemic response proved that borders could be restricted and this would see improving wage conditions for locals.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 7:02am
sypkan wrote:

"...My limited understanding of how the Labor Party operates is that there would be ongoing internal conflict within the different factions within the party, the left more aligned with the union movement, the right more supportive of business groups, the union faction aligned with more traditional Catholic union etc..."

surely these factions agree that looking after gas cartels is not the role of the labor party?

especially when the businesses these 'business factions' represent, are experiencing such exorbiant and debilitating energy prices...

businesses are literally shutting down or becoming unviable due to gas prices. real busineses, that actually make stuff, stuff that is required / desired due to a failing a supply chain model... a model that should have been the bane of labor for decades... should have been...

shit just don't add up...

then there's the moral argument... its fucking war time profitteering of the most nefarious in natures!

if the supposed 'left' cannot even make a stand against such things... then who the hell will?

I cannot argue with that as I agree 100%. It's a joke that Australia is not taxing multinational companies in the resources industry properly. You can just compare revenue from Australian gas exports to Qatar and you know it stinks. Tax them properly, have a reserve for local use, if multinational companies don't like it , nationalise them.
I would guess there are those within the party that agree but are wary of another massive scare campaign has we had with MRRT proposal. Shorten cam with many worthwhile policies to address some of the structural issues Australia is facing and media destroyed him.Guess there are some in party who are happy for whatever reason with the status quo, lobbyists etc.
Anyway the reality is that the issue is structural and as it is with many problems within Australia, and these things take a long time to turn around. Example business needing workers, Australia has dropped the ball in educating and training where now positions cannot be filled across many industries. Short term fix, increase immigration which kicks can again down the road exacerbating housing problems, wage growth, environmental stress etc. To get training, university educated health care professionals, apprenticeships etc back up to required levels will be generational.
Both sides of politics has contributed to this, but the last 10 years the LNP turbo charged it

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 10:53am
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 3:34pm

Breaking news , scomo to take over as head coach at Essendon + tackling coach + kicking coach + marking coach + assistant coach and morals + ethics coach .

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 8:20pm

The gift that just keeps giving.
Capture

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 22 Aug 2022 at 11:50am

Albo’s Australia. There’s no ducking, weaving or virtue signalling capable of hiding the truth:

+
Hospitality sector scours the world for cheap visa slaves
By Unconventional Economist
Rather than providing training to local workers or offering decent rates of pay, Australia’s hospitality sector is spending thousands of dollars scouring the world for cheap migrant workers to exploit [my emphasis]:

Melbourne restaurant operators who have struggled to find local workers are heading overseas to hire staff with some flying as far as to Dubai to recruit chefs…

Simon Blacher, co-owner of Commune Group, which operates Tokyo Tina, Firebird, Moonhouse and Hanoi Hannah, hired more than 30 chefs at a Dubai jobs fair at a cost of about $8000 each to cover visas and processing fees…

Chris Lucas’ Lucas Group, which operates restaurants including Chin Chin and Society, also hired 30 staff from a Dubai jobs fair along with recruiting from Asia and New Zealand…

Earlier this year Hunter St Hospitality, the company behind Rockpool, Spice Temple, Munich Brauhaus and The Bavarian, took on 125 recruits from the Middle East, Europe and the United States through a three-week trip at a cost of $10,000 to $20,000 per employee which included visas, application costs, flights and accommodation…

“The problem is not being solved by the slow trickle of working holidaymakers, international students and skilled migrants, and certainly with a nearly 70 per cent dropout rate in food trades in TAFE there’s no silver bullet to solving the problem,” [Australian Foodservice Advocacy Body] director Wes Lambert said. “Many businesses are travelling around the world to recruit their own staff to try to speed up the process.”

Lambert said the government’s push to bring more skilled workers into Australia was proceeding at “a snail’s pace” and a proposal to increase the skilled immigration cap from 160,000 to 200,000 was a positive move but would not solve problems around red tape, including slow visa processing times.

“The food service industry is calling upon the government not only to lift the cap, but also to remove roadblocks like the strict English tests and the prohibitively high fees to sponsor professionals,” he said.

So it’s cheaper to fly around the world and bring back people from Dubai than it is to train locals?

“Nearly 70 per cent dropout rate in food trades in TAFE”. Well that is a good indication that there is something seriously wrong with the employment conditions in hospitality, where wage theft runs rampant.

“The government’s push to bring more skilled workers into Australia was proceeding at ‘a snail’s pace'” . That’s good. Australia doesn’t have the necessary housing for the people already living in Australia and the cost of living for the basics of life is far too high for those on the minimum (full time) wage.

The hospitality sector needs to stop blaming everyone else and stop demanding governments provide them with cheap and easy staffing solutions.

There are plenty of people that would work for the sector if it offered appropriate remuneration/superannuation, secure, part-time or full time positions and career paths/apprenticeships for those who want them.

Instead, the sector offers the poorest rates of pay in the nation by a very wide margin and is ground zero for wage theft.

Australian median weekly wages
Hospitality is the lowest paying industry in Australia.

The median weekly pay across the Food & Accommodation industry was only $500 per week in August 2021, little changed from 2015.

In particular, cooks and chefs – the focus of the overseas recruitment drive – are notoriously poorly paid. According to the ABS, chef annual average earnings (AAE) were only $57,704 in 2018, whereas cooks earned a pitiful $40,596.40. This compares poorly against AAE of $67,012 for all occupations in 2018:

Cooks & chefs annual earnings
Cooks & chefs are notoriously underpaid.

The problem lies with the hospitality employers themselves, and they should stop expecting the government to fix it for them by opening the immigration tap even wider.

Hospitality employers spent decades offering insecure, casual positions that required their staff to work multiple jobs, wage theft is common, and they provided terrible working conditions.

As long as hospitality continues to offer poor wages and conditions, labour shortages will remain. It is called a “labour market” for a reason – it too is subject to the laws of supply and demand.

The problem with Australia’s “skilled visa” system is really being exposed here. It is primarily used to hire workers at a lower wage than locals are willing to work for. It’s that simple.

Any sector that relies on cheap exploitable migrant labour to thrive is not a sustainable industry. It needs fundamental structural reform.

The below comment from “Soapbox” in the Fairfax article quoted above – nicely encapsulates the issue:

I’m retired now but cooking (Chef is a position in a kitchen, not a trade) is my trade, when I undertook my apprenticeship in the 1970’s we were the second highest paid trade in Victoria, only surpassed by aviation mechanics. Over time I experienced declining wages, declining standards of restaurant proprietors ( in it for the money, not as a passion) and a general dumbing down of the industry exacerbated by “skilled” visa schemes for “qualified” cooks that couldn’t boil water but were willing to work at a massive discount so they could get permanent residency. The hours are toxic and so too is the pay and the industry is over subscribed and offers mostly ordinary pub food. Going to Dubai won’t fix anything.

Giving the hospitality industry greater access to foreign workers will only worsen the systemic exploitation already prevalent, keeping wages low and denying local workers employment opportunities and a living wage.

Politicians must stop pandering to vested interests like the Australian Foodservice Advocacy Body. Otherwise, Australian wage growth will remain stunted and exploitation will continue to run rife.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 22 Aug 2022 at 11:53am

Here’s the essential companion piece to the above just to remind everyone exactly where things currently stand. This is not hyperbole, exaggeration or misleading in any way. The parallels with modern Australia are irrefutable.

You proud to oversee a continuation of this Albo ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_Paris_and_London

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 22 Aug 2022 at 1:10pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/bec_juniper/status/1557191674908266496?s=21&t=pkTsbM...

Really???

FFS Supa you are better than that posting such crap

Anyway who the fuck is bec juniper?...

Whats a bet she is some white latte drinking lefty who lives in some city.

Never had a flat white Indo, never lived in a highly populated urban area, never had political opinions while doing one or both of the above. Just like “Woke” it’s a fraise (?) that’s become a useless pejorative instead of engaging in meaningful discussion. It’s been used successfully by Members of the LNP and other right wing tropes to avoid and deflect anything from environmental issues to humanitarian issues. It’s lazy at best and completely fucking retarded in most cases. You can do better.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 22 Aug 2022 at 1:12pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/bec_juniper/status/1557191674908266496?s=21&t=pkTsbM...

Really???

FFS Supa you are better than that posting such crap

Anyway who the fuck is bec juniper?...

Whats a bet she is some white latte drinking lefty who lives in some city.

Never had a flat white Indo, never lived in a highly populated urban area, never had political opinions while doing one or both of the above. Just like “Woke” it’s a fraise (?) that’s become a useless pejorative instead of engaging in meaningful discussion. It’s been used successfully by Members of the LNP and other right wing tropes to avoid and deflect anything from environmental issues to humanitarian issues. It’s lazy at best and completely fucking retarded in most cases. You can do better.

Or can you?

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 3:02pm

+
Greens dill calls for rental freeze
By Houses and Holes

The Australian Parliament is overrun by ideological tosspots. Labor is for capital. Liberals are for conservatism and The Greens are for total environmental destruction. To wit:

The Greens are urging the Albanese government to impose a nationwide rent freeze for two years, saying the issue of rental affordability should be elevated to national cabinet ahead of next week’s jobs and skills summit.

New research from the Everybody’s Home advocacy group has found increased rents in regional areas are contributing to unfilled job vacancies, with some areas recording rental rises of more than 40% in the past two years.

…The idea is not without precedent. The Australian government froze national rents in 1941 as a result of inflation linked to wartime shortages, while the Victorian government put in place a six-month rent freeze during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The Greens’ housing spokesperson, Max Chandler-Mather, said the freeze would allow wages and incomes time to catch up to rents, which he said had grown seven times faster than wages in capital cities over the past year.

“With more and more people renting long term, we desperately need legislated protections against unfair, arbitrary evictions and skyrocketing rents,” he said.

“The rental affordability crisis is destroying regional communities and impacting the broader economy. A rent freeze will help those communities rebuild, tackle the skills shortage and protect livelihoods.

“If the government is serious about cost of living relief, if they’re serious about affordable housing, then it’s a no-brainer to freeze rent rises.”

No, it isn’t. It is a no-brainer to freeze mass immigration to stop the problem in the first place, not to mention save the local environment and make it possible for Australia to deliver on climate targets.

But no, The Greens want mass immigration at levels so out of control that both the human and natural environments are annihilated.

Freezing rents is a band-aid solution that passes the issue onto landlords and banks culminating in less supply and even higher prices as demand is continually pumped by The Greens mass immigration.

The Greens drip cognitive dissonance

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 4:14pm

Are you okay mate?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 4:21pm

Just like “Woke” it’s a fraise (?) that’s become a useless pejorative instead of engaging in meaningful discussion. It’s been used successfully by Members of the LNP and other right wing tropes to avoid and deflect anything from environmental issues to humanitarian issues. It’s lazy at best and completely fucking retarded in most cases.

Bang on soggy
Avoidance of the easy order.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 4:24pm

"Just like “Woke” it’s a fraise (?) that’s become a useless pejorative instead of engaging in meaningful discussion."

I'd suggest that "woke" has become a pejorative because it's become a "thing" to engage in ugly hectoring instead of engaging in meaningful discussion.
This is not to deny the real need for discussion around important social and environmental issues.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 4:53pm
dandandan wrote:

Are you okay mate?

Who , me?

Oh, you know. Got a bit going on. It’s not all sunshine and lollipops. Take it on the chin, cop it sweet etc etc. There’s always someone worse off.

How you doin’?

BTW apologies if you didn’t realise that I didn’t write that post. It’s from the Excellent Macrobusiness website. I do agree with every word though. If the Greens really want to provide affordable rent then they can stop braying about our obligations to import the remaining however many billions of humans who have yet to move to Australia. It’s this infantile attempt to assuage their hard-cultivated white guilt, by throwing our borders wide open , which is the primary driver for In availability of rentals in the first place.

Far more onerous than short term accom provision, is the pure demand driven competition for the rental market. If they arent possessed of the ability to realise that the importation of a million extra wannabe tenants every few years is atomic fuel on the rental problem bonfire , then I’ve no problem someone taking them to task over it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 4:46pm

Can't really disagree DSDS, and when you throw in interest rate rises the Greens seem to be off with the fairies if they think that freezing rents European style is a good idea.
There's have to be a comprehensive overhaul of the Australian housing (investment) system for this to even be considered.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 5:46pm

What’s the solution then for filling the huge amount of vacancies in aged care ? There’s talk of increasing the miserable hourly rate but I doubt that will fix the problem. Is the government really aiming for a million new residents every few years ? I thought it was going to be capped at 200,000 a year or is this also wrong ? Don’t get me wrong I’m not all for mass immigration as the solution, I’m just asking what others see as the solution for filling the vacancies in area’s that are struggling like aged care , not to mention mental health etc etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 6:00pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Just like “Woke” it’s a fraise (?) that’s become a useless pejorative instead of engaging in meaningful discussion. It’s been used successfully by Members of the LNP and other right wing tropes to avoid and deflect anything from environmental issues to humanitarian issues. It’s lazy at best and completely fucking retarded in most cases.

Bang on soggy
Avoidance of the easy order.

This is such a weird thing to say those against wokeness which definitely not limited to those on the right are generally the ones that want to discuss it the most and engage in meaningful discussion, generally why an aspect of wokeness is generally wrong and often damaging to individuals or society.

But yeah sure in some areas of life wokeness is hard to push back on or even discuss in a meaningful way, and there is very good reason for this because WOKENESS AND CANCEL CULTURE GO HAND IN HAND, they are almost the same beast, the woke are also those who cancel.

The reality is discussing woke topics in many circles with opposing views can sometimes can get you cancelled by those generally on the left that say we shall dare not discuss these things and how i think is how you must think, no questions asked. even if it goes against common sense, logic or even science or biology in some cases..

Its the woke that throw out one line catchphrases without any real discussion on the effects to individuals or society a great example was "defund the police" yeah fucking great idea said no one ever with half a brain.

I mean seriously you must be living under a rock if havent come across the obsession of people in particularly the right with discussing any topic related to wokenes in depth if they can without being canceled that is.

If you have been living under a rock, then maybe a good place to peak your head out from that rock is Triggernomentry podcast thats has pretty much talked about every aspect of wokeness with those experienced in each field or those whom have been cancelled for pushing back against wokeness https://www.youtube.com/c/Triggerpod or even Joe Rogan or countless other podcast.

BTW. Sure there is a woke aspect to some environmental issues, but i dont think its a very good example of wokeness, its kind of a borderline area, i dont see it as a real woke issue even global warming, take for example Elon Musk, to me he is very anti woke he even almost bought Twitter because of his passion for free speech and pushing back against wokeness and cancel culture, and while he is a capitalist i see him as an environmentalist i mean look what he has done with EV's and advancing EV tech and bringing it to the world, he has even made EV's kinda cool, and we all know getting rid of petrol cars for EV's is a key part of reducing emissions.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 5:51pm

BTW. how on earth can you freeze rents?....

Im confused is this really a thing?

In a free democratic country how can you tell people how much they can charge for rent?

Especially with inflation and rising interest rates where the cost to land lords is going up.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 6:02pm

Yep not black and white scenario with the major shortage of skilled and non skilled jobs that need filling. 10 years of absolute mismanagement and ripping money out of the education/ training sector is coming to fruition, another legacy of rabble who claimed to be government. Need combination of immigration and training to start to address this problem. Also Australia has a shrinking tax base so definitely needs younger workers to help pay for the older demographic which will put more and more pressure on health care and other govt services. Don't think another Costello baby bonus is answer ... That cohort is a whole other story. Happy to have anyone come up with a viable solution, no use just bitching about immigration, I personally don't like the area I live in getting busier and busier.
Anyway got to be happy that the Robo debt Royal Commission has been announced, hopefully there is some major karma headed Morrison's, Robert's and Porters way.
Good entre for ICAC.....

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 6:48pm

Woke ness, political correctness, cancel culture really mean little to me. Im looking for truth and proven conscious fact. Anything outside of that is a distraction for argument sake. Scomo was just a distraction from the truth, in part why he failed so astoundingly in a number of areas. What is the truth? Something that is factually true or an idea unproven or unsound in it's evidently clear fact?

Being lead to believe is not seeing for ones self under circumstantial evidence. Ignoring the truth is convenient and nothing more. But what and where is the truth? And why is it important to form a factual argument of true weight? Conspiracies and agendas don't help when looking for true fact right or left. People are awake or awoke to this fact. Through constant political failure where direct action or argument, consideration is needed. Otherwise true fact stands for nothing.
Wether Right or Left its a failed rabble unsound of factual debate leading to progression.

The stiflers stifle and the progress ors push factually forward right or left. The need to complicate simple proven fact by unsound argument is outdated left or right. Progression of man is being held back by the unsound and factually dismissive in some sense.. One step forward three steeps back is a common political theme in the light of true fact.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 7:06pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Woke ness, political correctness, cancel culture really mean little to me. Im looking for truth and proven conscious fact. Anything outside of that is a distraction for argument sake. Scomo was just a distraction from the truth, in part why he failed so astoundingly in a number of areas. What is the truth? Something that is factually true or an idea unproven or unsound in it's evidently clear fact? Being lead to believe is not seeing for ones self under circumstantial evidence.

Dude you say the weirdest things, wokeness is generally anti truth.

Most wokeness centres around identity politics and self identity and an idea you decide what is real instead of reality based on something more concrete.

For example identifying(feeling) as the opposite sex makes you the opposite sex, or you can choose or make up some crazy new gender cause thats how i feel, or making up nonsensical words that others should address you by, like zie, zim, zir, zis, zieself ; sie, sie,

Or that because your great grandmother was ethnicity A but all your other close relatives since have been ethnicity B you can identify as A

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 7:48pm

What is the identity of truth? Outside of a need for cliche identity politics that really is an individuals right on sexuality or freedom of sexuality choice. Is identity politics the banning abortion in the name of religion regardless of truth or the sexuality of those who are most effected? Titles are just mannerisms and labels placed down through time. To me I can't see positive reform in the face of fact in such confined thinking. Scientifically or socially argued otherwise. Pointless to all but the individual effected. B grade politics right or left.Often pushed by religious belief despite overwhelming fact or social significance. I could identify as a cow, it doesn't change factual progressive discussion outside of identity politicks, manipulation and shadow play. Does how someone identifies get you all beat up? Just address them as you would wish to be addressed. I presume that is with basic respect regardless of political ideals and religious moral ground that astoundingly isn't fact to all but to those that follow their chosen religon. With or without cries of persecution.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 7:47pm

Indo, what is it with you and the gender thing? You often bring it up. Why does it bother you so much?