All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 5:09pm

udo, given your last post, you should probably watch this.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 6:59pm

A few things religious people need to realize, atheists too, is that no one really knows what happens when you die. The bible was written by goat herders and shepherds. It wasn't written by god or Jesus. the one thing Christianity has going for it is that the calendar proves something major happened at the time of Jesus's death. 2021 years ago something significant happened otherwise we would have a different calendar. But this doesn't prove Jesus was Gods son. it doesn't prove Noah lived for 950 years and traveled to Australia to pick up kangaroos, koalas and kangaroos way before captain Cook discovered Australia. They though back then that the world was flat, if God was speaking to Moses he would have told him the Earth is round. Back then a global flood was maybe an entire state or country as that's as far as they could see from a mountain top.
The Bible is written by man as we didn't have science to explain all the things man didn't understand and to keep people under control, stop raping and murdering and all the other crimes.
If Christianity is the right religion, all those Hindus Buddhists, Muslims, Incas, natives, Vikings, pagans etc are all worshiping the wrong god. What makes you think your religion is the right one? Being born into it and baptized?
Seems a bit arrogant.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 9:00pm

Make that move to redemption to see the light?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 9:15pm

GS, BB was one of the most over-budget and late movies of all times. That's what happens when half the cast is coked up to the eyeballs. Belushi looks horrendous in this clip.
BTW, I saw James Brown perform at 9000ft above seal level. His stretch limo rolls up in front of the stage. Six gorgeous backing singers in red evening gowns get out, followed by six more in blue gowns. James Brown was next to wild applause. He then kicked off show with a high energy number but the altitude got the better of him after a minute. He spent the next three minutes leaning over a speaker letting out the occasional (OWWW) while his lungs tried to catch up!!
Great show though after he got his breath back.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 9:36pm

".... BB was one of the most over-budget and late movies of all times ...." AND there's no getting around it sweet mother of baby jebus its right up there as one of the best movies of all time!!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 26 Sep 2021 at 11:00pm

Hell yeah

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 5:56am

That BB movie is a family favourite….along with Ben Hur and Forrest Gump.
If your truly interested in if there is a God, then you have to ask yourself that if He does exist,…who is He and what does He want from me. The reason people globally are abandoning their idols, their multi gods, their violent prophets, their superstitions, their appeasing of demons ancestor worship etc etc is because God Himself has been reaching out to them and calling everyone to him to put away what is false and begin a personal relationship through His son.
Interestingly, everywhere I have travelled overseas I’m asked about my religion and am I Christian?…etc what do I believe?
In the western world we are actually going backwards. Our prosperity and blessing from God has turned to greed. We worship success and have new idols in sport stars , property, wealth etc. etc. The successful people are the winners and the battlers are the losers. The bible talks about the last days of the current earth society when the love of many will grow cold and people will turn away from God and follow their own lusts. They will abandon the truth and exchange it for a lie to patronise the wicked and try and achieve a false peace. Like civilisations that have crumbled before them they will adopt the gods of others that cannot hear or see and the blessing that once was from the true God will fade and confusion will begin to reign.
If you really want to know the truth….chase it….read what Jesus taught in the New Testament and decide for yourself…God will give you your hearts desire but you have to be honest and be prepared to allow Him into your soul for a deep clean….that’s why Jesus came…to restore and repair our relationship to the one and only God.

dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 6:41am

I just read the first post in this thread and curious to know how it’s possible to get really fit while still smoking weed… that’s worth preaching.
I’d suggest it’s hardly surprising the bible predicts the turning away. No better way to galvanise the faithful.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 7:00am

Opti, Given the vast scope of the universe, billions of galaxies and stars and other planets I sort of struggle with the concept that a god that created this would be :
- so pre-occupied with earth, sins of its people and whether or not they believe in a particular storyline
and especially
-why he would think, here is an idea, I'll create a son send him to earth and have him get killed to fix everything.

Surely he would be above that sort of primitive human sacrifice type of thinking and could fix things in a thousand better ways with a stroke of his wand?

Hutchy 19 Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 8:26am

Frog - My view as I try to live a more spiritual life is to believe in a Universal Spirit .

People can choose any power as long as it is not themselves .

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 8:28am

Dawn periscope, I’ve given it a red hot crack for some time. Now I’m giving up smoking weed to get truly fit. Getting cooked and working out/running real hard is so good. But not good for your lungs.
Praise Jeebus

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 8:30am

Haha floptimist;)
My goodness you are the gift that keeps on giving ;);) How righteous of u !

‘In the not to distant future, an evil new leader will rise and convince everyone that he has all the answers.’

Ummmm… so, how far away in the ‘not too distant’ future?… Are you aware all ‘future’ is not too distant? And how do you actually know?

Seriously. Aren’t you trying to convince everyone that you have all the answers ;) Why should we take your advice? Where are your assumptions and conclusions based and how do you know they are real? ;);) Are they real or fantasy? And how so ? ;)

‘He will highjack the monetary system with a new global currency and present a new world view religion’
(Wow!… Sounds a bit like Christianity!)

‘The problem being, it will not be of God but of man and a typical plan of enslavement to someone’s idea of how things should be’

Now… this is really where you are talking shit ;) Are you sure the ‘problem’ you so boldly highlight isn’t something you are also guilty of? Everything you are stating is also a typical plan of enslavement to your idea of how things should be ;);) And everything YOU stated is not of god but of man! …Unless you are a god ;):)

‘God will give you your hearts desire but you have to be honest and be prepared to allow Him into your soul for a deep clean…..’

Notice how you stated that ‘god will give you your hearts desire BUT….. blah blah’

That intention right there shows a typical plan of enslavement;);)

Now… being honest. That is a big one. I agree here… You have to be honest.

So floptimist … cut the preaching shit about what you reckon is gonna unfold relative to a book you like. Just as you mentioned blues brothers movies and Forrest Gump etc - nice stories and good entertainment - moral guidelines and a bit of fun…

But really. Be honest;);) You only ever sprout garbage that is also ‘a typical plan of enslavement to someone’s idea of how things should be’.

-So how are you doing anything different?
And why are you warning us yet doing the exact same thing? ;);)
Maybe this is the problem ;)

Oh… and we should all be on the lookout for a mysterious evil new leader who will rise and convince everyone that he has all the answers ;);)
Seems like a viscous loop you’re in there!
And you’re encouraging others to be honest about things ;)
Or maybe you are just too easily convinced about stuff others choose to question and challenge ;):)

Floptimist it’s no different to a priest giving advice on marriage or sex or children…
If you don’t actually know what you are talking about it’s wide open to interpretation and….. fantasy ;);)

-Just don’t be surprised when people don’t and won’t listen…

(Still waiting for the Star Trek style beam me up into the sky thing to happen tho)

‘Be prepared to allow Him into your soul for a deep clean’

How exactly did you discern god as a ‘Him’ again?! (Other than through what you have read or heard)

Be honest.

Hutchy 19 Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 8:53am

I have alleyways believed in a Universal Spirit but have never been religious . Believe in karma and have seen so many incredible coincidences .

Never thought that the US would be interested in chatting to me though . I have changed my view and now pray and try to do meditation .

Very slow at first but as time goes by getting better at it . Trying to make it a daily ritual and that word is part of the word spiRITUAL .

Amazing that the tension in my body has reduced ( my back feels so much better ) .

Hopefully on the path to a more serene lifestyle .

Hutchy 19 Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 9:03am

Jelly - I am concentrating on the good points of Optimists views and letting the rest go through to the keeper . You are doing the old mistake "contempt before investigation " .

You said "Any individual can discover, explore and pursue their hearts desire. This is not conditional to what you ‘want’ in relation to god - and nothing of this nature hinges on whether or not you ‘allow Him into your soul for a deep clean…’
But hey, if that’s what you do then farkn go for it! If it’s actually working, though, there’ll be no need to try convince anybody else ;);)"

The huge problem is that most individuals pursue things that their true hearts don't desire . When they are about to die they finally realise they were missing the most important things .

Don't bag people for having a different view to you especially if they are trying to help .

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 9:13pm
soggydog wrote:

Praise Jeebus

Good on you soggy,
Get off the joints or hongers, if you must...cookies (so I've heard)

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 27 Sep 2021 at 10:23pm
san Guine wrote:
soggydog wrote:

Praise Jeebus

Good on you soggy,
Get off the joints or hongers, if you must...cookies (so I've heard)

Vaporiser……..but I’m going to give that the flick too

Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 8:17am

Roadkill - Keep your crappy articles to yourself . A complete load of BS . Every kid in the world could be doing this . The author of the article obviously has a bias . Don't pollute this thread with your personal pet hates .

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 8:29am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

lol

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 9:15am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Triggered much?…lmao.

stunet Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 9:29am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

What an unusual reply.

You're a strange guy, Hutchy.

Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 9:38am

Yes it did a bit .

Thought you to be an insensitive fool .

I am not religious ( trying to build my spirituality ) so have no special feelings for any religion .

Try not to sink into the same depths Stu . Very strange that you support Roadkills views on this .

Trying is tarnish a religion like this shows everyone what nasty person you really are . Why do you feel you have the right to trample around spewing your vile . What a bully you are .

Very happy to call you out whenever you do this . Grow up !

stunet Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 9:51am

An old man condemning a Vice article?

Mate, you don't know how silly that looks.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 10:02am
stunet wrote:

An old man condemning a Vice article?

Mate, you don't know how silly that looks.

I don't think Hutchy is one for self awareness.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 10:07am
Hutchy 19 wrote:

Yes it did a bit .
Thought you to be an insensitive fool .
Very happy to call you out whenever you do this . Grow up !

FFS Hutchy....insensitive fool/nasty person/spewing vile//bully /grow up.....you seem to have a God complex , where everything you say here is the Gospel.
The fact is you put people down/call them names to try and reinforce your position/opinion/point and all you do is draw derision and spankings from the rest of us .
If you want to go down the spiritual path , well ,you concede there is an entity/God that you worship so you are held to a higher Law than man's rule of law...
It's a bit sad , but some of the people here know each other...had someone from the SN forums make the comment on email..."Hutchy is a bit sad , as it looks like he's quite lonely and comes onto the SBN forum , to have some fellowship with the human race.

Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 10:41am

Brutus

I have said here before that I believe in an Universal Spirit . No human would be able to correctly define what is the power of my US .The force that created the universe and is part of everything .

I am not lonely or sad . I am a very lucky person and am grateful for what I have . I am getting much stronger mentally , learning so much and am prepared for whatever my life throws at me .

I hope everyone else is the same .

Extremely funny that you think that the SN forum is a happy fellowship of humans . From my limited experience it is a shit fight with so much abuse , swearing and bullying . Roadkills post was a good example .

My word is never intended to be gospel as I am human and make mistakes . Being viewed as having a God complex is very interesting and quite funny . Surprised that my writing comes across that way as I still have so much I am willing to learn . Quite happy to for you to think that and will not try to change .

I do have strong beliefs but am also willing to change them after more investigation .

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 11:18am

Hutchy, don’t take it too hard….you are a busy brained hypo person no doubt. The guys on swellnet love em or not , are a bunch of surfing brothers and like all brothers like to wrestle a bit on matters, bag each other and argue points of interest. I get a flogging sometimes ,but I just put up what I think is right and let the debate and banter begin. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same and there was nothing to discuss, argue over and then learn from each other…
I heard it said once that Everyman is every-mans teacher and everyman is every-mans student…I’ve learnt a lot from guys on here that I don’t really like very much but they are still my surf brothers and when everyone is sitting in the lineup together and sharing the joy of the same passion , the brotherhood really does stand firm and the common goal of riding waves enjoyed regardless of what you believe.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 11:22am

Nailed it Optimist. Well said.

Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 28 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm

I agree 100% Optimist with your views ! Not taking it hard at all but thanks for your suggestion .

Saw on the the Wellness TV show on the w/e . An author was interviewed and he said humans have 4 stories . Body , Emotions , Thought and Spiritual . Spiritual is like a trapdoor on the top that when opened lets the sun shine in .

You seem to have the trapdoor wide opened and are bathed in sunshine . I have opened mine for the first time and feel the warmth . Working on opening it more .

I am less irritated with many of the comments of this site as I have developed an immunity .

I am still very happy to point out what I believe are wrong or inappropriate posts .

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 22 Oct 2021 at 6:56am

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you…Jesus…Matthew 7:12

One afternoon in 1953, reporters and city officials gathered at a Chicago railway station to welcome the Nobel peace prize winner. A giant of a man with bushy hair and a large moustache stepped from the train. Cameras flashed as city officials approached him with hands outstretched and began telling him how honoured they were to meet him.
The man politely thanked them and then looking over their heads, asked to be excused for a moment. He quickly walked through the crowd until he reached the side of an elderly woman struggling with two suitcases. He picked up the bags and with a smile escorted her to a bus. After helping her aboard, he wished her a safe journey. Returning to the greeting party, he apologised and said sorry to have kept you waiting.
That man was Dr Albert Schweitzer, the famous missionary doctor, who spent his life helping the poor in Africa. In response to Schweitzer’s action, one member of the reception committee said to a reporter next to him.” That’s the first time I ever saw a sermon walking”…
Today, look for an opportunity to be kind…go out of your way to bless someone, even if it cost you to do it.

GuySmiley's picture