The App

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell started the topic in Saturday, 18 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:47am

"Pretty good really they just won world war three without firing a bullet.
Now the scary thing is that theyre in the process of buying up all the stockpiled
oil and other world wide commodities. I call this stage Two.
Clever little rats."

evosurfer 8.39pm Wed

Blindboy.....did we just encourage a “ rape of Nanking “ style atrocity at the local Pork Hunt restaurant ?

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:46am

"...theyre in the process of buying up all the stockpiledoil and other world wide commodities. I call this stage Two.
Clever little rats.""

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:55am

Rooooaaar!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:50am

Would it have made a difference if Evo had have said cheeky little monkeys?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:52am

Yes , Zen, it would have made a difference.

Blindboy would be so apoplectic with rage that his fingers would be slipping on his keyboard from all the spittle foaming from his mouth.

And I would have found it even more amusing.

Got to watch you , Zen . You’re a clever little rat !

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:59am

Ratbag if you don't mind.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm

So Zen you would be happy to have someone post that about your wife....that all Japanese are rats? If you cannot tell the difference between calling a person a rat and labelling an entire race as rats than you must be profoundly ignorant of the history of that particular insult. But yeah, join the mob in their smug self-righteous ignorance if you must.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm

" buying up all the stockpiled oil and other world wide commodities. I call this stage Two.
Clever little rats."

Let's keep it where it can be seen.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:11pm

This just went from funny to weird.

I just realised that I’m laughing at the internet equivalent of the special needs bus.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:21pm

I'm just mucking around BB.

And for the record, I often call my wife a cheeky monkey or sneaky little tanuki and in turn she calls me her naughty aussie kangaroo. I love it when she says 'fucking japs'. It's a running joke when our favourite restaurant is packed.

Anyway, i'll cease and desist because i can see your point. Again, it's all in the language- words can hurt.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm

"words can hurt."

Disagree Zen. Words can cause people huge amounts of stress and lead to even more harmful actions.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 1:00pm

I'm still trying to figure out where Evo called all Chinese people rats.
At every step he was clearly talking about the Chinese government, from an economic and military point of view.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 1:01pm

So you're saying words can hurt, Cromwell?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm

I think Cromwell has left us and taken to his Facebook.....

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 1:50pm

Very happy to engage on Facebook .....where people have to use their name..... I don't expect many to come across.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 2:52pm

Facebook= surveillance capitalism.

no thanks.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 3:06pm

Been on a Blainey binge the last few weeks. When in twenty years time I look back on COVID, my recollections will be reading his work. Powered through his big ones, plus his recent memoir, and last week started a biography on him.

Read a chapter last night about his 'Warrnambool Speech' and the resulting fallout, and it was staggering to realise that it was 1983. It could've been this very year. Parts of it could've been swiped from this very thread.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 3:24pm

Stu....care to give us a brief summary , draw some relative parallels and ascribe an opinion on the issue ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 4:04pm

Over the course of a few speeches and articles in 1983, Blainey mentioned that the rate of Asian immigration had been getting ahead of public opinion. His words had to be taken as an objective analysis, he was a thorough researcher with an eminent academic standing and, at the time, large public presence owing to 'Triumph of the Nomads' and 'The Tyranny of Distance' both of which became Australian standards.

So we have to assume it wasn't bias, just an academic reporting facts, however there was a journalist in the audience at the Warrnambool speech who subsequently wrote an article - and won a Walkley! - for an article with the sub-heading 'Too Many Asians'.

The journalist ascribed an opinion to Blainey that he didn't offer anywhere in that speech, and the story was front page for days, plus dragged out across current affair shows, talkback radio, the whole lurid circus.

Blainey didn't back down but kept trying to make the point that govt policy wasn't matching public sentiment.

He was in turn set upon by uni students who kept trying to deplatform him (and they did), while his arguments were distorted across the press, and some fellow academics wrote a letter to denounce him. Even Patrick White asked him to step down from the board of a charity that White funded.

There is much more, but you get the gist: Controversial statement made, debate shut down rather than encouraged, reputation run through the mud as a racist and a bigot.

Keep in mind this was the guy who just a few years earlier wrote 'Triump of the Nomads', which championed the ingenuity and complex social systems of Aborigines.

My opnions?

It's hard not to see Blainey as a bit naive, a bit tone deaf to public feeling at the time, and this increased when he kept doubling down.

I also believe, as many punters have said above, that words do have consequences.

However, the way it was handled was, I thought, straight out of the New Left playbook. Except this wasn't the New Left, this was 1983.

So I guess my opinion is that Blainey's statements should've been tested and debated in an open and just manner.

I also think that he was a victim of swinging public perception. I've said it before but it's pertinent here, political and social mores swing like a pendulum. For nearly 100 years, Australia had the White Australia Policy and once it was removed it was almost as if Australians had to overcompensate for that chapter. It made rational debate impossible: anyone who questioned carte blanche immigration was considered to be Arthur Calwell incarnate. The pendulum had swung from one side all the way to the other, and it clocked Geoffrey Blainey along the way.

Also, as a sidenote: In his subsequent research, Blainey found that post-war immigration to Australia - i.e the waves of Greeks and Italians - wasn't as harmonious as he first thought. Though they ultimately settled in and the scheme was succesful, it was met by much resistance from Australians.

In fact, most Australians preferred Chinese immigrants to Greeks or Italians.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm

Stu with inflammatory statements like that, if Greeks and Italians start getting bashed, it's on your head mate.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm

There's a bunch of students with placards picketting near my letterbox right now.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm

Not sure about the Greeks , but Australians had been swapping bullets with the Italians not so long beforehand, that might have accounted for some of the animosity.

Thanks for the reply. Always appreciate what you’ve got to say.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 11:22pm

So everyone downloaded the App for the sake of our front line health workers and most vulnerable?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:06am

Deloitte are US accountants employed by Fed Govt to smooth out online GovID.
They write constant (Very Current) reviews on Govt spending, some say steer it!
https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/au/Documents/covid-19/del...
They deliver Govt Report Cards...like as if they're running the show! [Tick!]

Naturally tbb went searching for Covid -Safe review by these Govt Technocrats.

No corporate review or working paper but their nerd had a bloody good crack at it.
29 April ...Tech Guy Robert Valk expertly walks thru the whole app set-up...
https://platform.deloitte.com.au/articles/contact-tracing-apps-can-we-tr...
A good workout... impressive decoding doubles as a bloody good default manual.

Thought it best to share for research...found one of tbb's missing Singapore links.
Links are solid & it's cool how he plays it down to give something for everyone!

Note tbb will soon link other reviews...just that this one best reflects Govt ambition.
Dare say it's up to speed & maybe a step ahead of our Govt...great insight!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 1 May 2020 at 10:14am

Is that crickets................re the App?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 10:42am

Dunno about crickets, but Freeride has a lovely frog app.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:03am

Cool anecdote, Stu. Did Blainey or his guys delve into how this 'public perception' was (in)formed?

Seems like the elephant in the room that then bit him on the arse.

Tone deaf? Naive? Useful idiot?

I guess the parallels with 'wogs' post-war, and 'asians' in the 80s, is with the 'fucking vibrant scum' now?

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:05am

Thanks to what maybe the same frog app I can report a pobbledonk in the nearby creek. Also known as the Eastern Banjo Frog.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:17am

"So everyone downloaded the App for the sake of our front line health workers and most vulnerable?"

You can include that as a reason if you want but it's just one small aspect.

Probably the most important reason to dowloaded the app is for yourself, friends and families benefit, it sounds selfish, but if everyone downloaded it for themselves it would benefit everyone.

Downloaded it if:

1. You want to have a chance of Australia getting rid of the virus or at least control outbreaks
2. Dont want to be in lockdown or don't want to be in lockdown again in the future.
3. If you want to be able to see business open again and people regain their jobs (etc hospitality industry)
4. If you want to help/minimise negative economical effect
5. If you want to travel again
6. If you just want to see life go back to as normal as possible as quickly as possible.

Im sure there is many more reasons.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:30am

Haha Indo..... Why didn't you stop at 1? I'll tell ya why.. Because its become part of your psyche that you and everyone else must comply to live the life you once knew.

The agenda at work.

I downloaded the WimHof APP instead

and if the WHO and Govt really cared about short, medium and long term human health and well-being, they would have been promoting the crap out of it... But what do I hear on it.... Ahh Crickets.

The agenda at work.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:23pm

Because number 1. is only a one piece of the pie and wanted to highlight that.

Yeah 100% i want to live the life i once knew, everyones life have been affected, especially if you live in Victoria, i still cant go fishing and my daughter is still home and home schooling isn't fun, its not my area of expertise.

My best mate new business is shut down and he is hurting, i dont like to see people i care about suffer.

As for your recommended App, im sure its great, but its not going to help with this pandemic the way the COVID-19 app is, and i dont think it's realistic for the government to start promoting every private business app that may or may not have health benefits.

BTW. Are you Jim Banks?

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:31pm

'I downloaded the WimHof APP instead'

You're brave for admitting that in a public forum.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 3 May 2020 at 11:46am

Misapprehensionable

Part 4 - (Limitations)

It's illegal to release the app with no informed consent to use of personal data.
No contract terms, conditions, dates, operation, repair, Ombudsman or (Code!)
Imagine if any of the crew tried the same caper for a Covid App...be in jail by now!

'ALL' experts agree that it's faster & less expensive to locate hot spot viral offline.
All agree more lives will be saved if PM's play money stayed in frontline Health.
Women are fearful of batteries running low during Covid -19 battery rise.

Please stop this bullshit of a hero app saving lives..(Where? No evidence at all.)
100% can swear the exact opposite is true...& all the crew know that!
If tbb took off inland with virus no app could ever track me..Aboriginal tracker Yes!

Google / Apple: "We'll sort the app by mid year after 2 more rogue Hot Shot apps!"
Look like a flamin' drongo arguing with the Dingbatz wot fucked it up already.

What if these Geeks could miraculously crank up Covid Safe for a day or two!
Of what use would it be & could it track the most virulent hot spots & populace.

tbb put together a real basic starter Checklist..ain't nothin' fancy.

O/S visitors (Nope) ...Different distancing settings / Phones ...PM said Useless
Interstate visitors (Nope)..State Govt Health Privacy Act say they won't share.
Intercity or Regional visitors (Response is too slow-weeks, a free tissue voucher?)
Queue Hot Spots (Nope) Front of queue spreads to whole queue. App ?? Doh! ??
Mix & Match Phones (Nope) It tries hard but Aussie Triangulation is too pissweak,
Same Phones in front of screen< >background. (Nope) re: pissweak Triangulation.
Cheap Phones (Nope) Too Pissweak
Old Phones (Nope) Too Pissweak
Most of these come from the side of the Govt's Cornflake App pack!...durr!

False Positives
CBD apps are known to ping > 50m
Passing Car (Ping)
Innercity Apartments (Ping Ping Ping...Ping)

Honestly! tbb hasn't spent long researching...so use this is as best case scenario!
This sad & sorry list is in it's infancy...way more blanks to fire.

Experts agree at best maybe effective for 1% for each 10% of Population (Uptake)
Oz now sits at 2.5m of 25m. (Oz should demand 1% app compliance or sack PM)
note: Tech guys never accounted for half of list for very generous 1% true hit rate.

Workers say stress caused by false alerts is more damaging than disease.
We are talking serious hospitalisation for near death shock factor.

Obviously a larger stress on already makeshift Health Staff...Please no more! STOP!
Scomo tours frontline..."Here's yer Robo Debt champ...what's this flatline thingy.."

Oz State Public Health Units also warned of this...
PS: Health staff were instructed to download, but Union says they can't be sacked!

tbb is no phone owner but reckons 99.9% app fail is classed as a Poll Boost. (True!)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:06pm

Not sure of the source of this video but it's the first time I've seen Lego used for propaganda.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:19pm

Yep it is only one piece of the pie Indo, but it's the centerpiece or hook, which gets individuals, organisations and govt radically supporting and defending any dictatorship. If you can get people through fear of an invisible enemy (heard that one yet?) to voluntarily give up their freedoms and become reliant on you, how good is that (if you are that way inclined). Reliance is the ultimate control... If I pay you, you do what I want. If you want to go surfing, you do what I ask. If you want to open your business or stop yourself from closing down, do what I want.
What about stop smoking, then you can go to the beach again.. How much does that clog up our health system..

This app might seem like a logical part of the solution under the circumstances... But it is just the start.
The evidence is there that this increasingly centralised and global regime does not want individuals listening to Hof or icke or others, let alone themselves to become self aware and all mighty powerful beings in our own right.. How many billions ($) get poured into medicine and research yet we still find ourselves in a shit show with high risk, low immunity, scared, anxious and vulnerable masses... There is not a cent put towards promoting accessing natural and accessible means for building immunity and long term resilience. Let alone  How many yoga studios, naturopaths, masseure's, dojo's, etc have shut down along with your mate, all while we're told it's in our best interest to do so and be 'safe' until a centrally developed and issued vaccine gets here to save us... Head slap shaking head emoji.
And PS, not bagging some of the miracles of medicine and ER. 

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:23pm

Fair comment Stu, but there is a big difference between a range of views being expressed and the kind of lies and misinformation that constantly appear here. Take Blowin on house prices for example. He has constantly asserted that immigration is a major factor in their increase when the evidence is that the effect is about 1.4% per year over the last decade or so, a time when prices have increased by an average of not much below 10% per year. I have posted links like the one below to prove my point.
https://www.domain.com.au/news/immigration-boosts-australian-house-price...
It makes no difference. So in my judgement you are providing a platform for anti-immigration lies. That is not a differing view, that's toxic bullshit.

If I point out their lies, see what happens.
"Cromwell would've been a thug of a teacher, an absolute cunt."
"Blindboy.- if you are willing to forsake your principles for a few dollars ....then you never really had principles."
Do I wind them up and give worse than they throw at me? Yep, and will continue to do so because their clear intention is to drive those who do not agree with them off the site.
You can blame me for a lot of things but if you can find a single case of me posting things that were demonstrably false, I will be surprised. I don't care about anyone's ideological viewpoint. I care passionately about evidence based argument.

And then there is this:
evosurfer commented
WEDNESDAY, 29 APR 2020 at 8:39PM
The way I see it is that China deliberately released this hideous virus to destabilise
the world economy to a point of global shutdown then buy up just about
everything that would help them control the economy of the world at a much reduced price.
Pretty good really they just won world war three without firing a bullet.
Now the scary thing is that theyre in the process of buying up all the stockpiled
oil and other world wide commodities. I call this stage Two.
Clever little rats.

Are you really prepared to host such a blatent racist insult with a history of involvement in not only the holocaust but in pogroms through-out Europe and the Soviet Union. Don’t kid yourself or fall for the excuse that it was aimed only at the government. Play with the semantics all you like, it is at best an irresponsible, inflammatory comment that encourages not only racist comment but racist actions. At worst it is in a long tradition of incitements to racist violence. Not much wiggle room there.

So Stu maybe have a think your position in publishing such material.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:23pm

Re Sunet yesterday. on Blainey - Agree -probably a bit naive -
H2O commentedTUESDAY, 14 MAY 2019 at 3:08PM
"I agree GS. Immigration policy should be reflective of a nations needs at the time and implemented objectively with an eye on possible social and economic outcomes. This view was propounded by Australian historian Geoffrey Blainey several decades ago .He got no thanks for it from some at the time, being labeled a racist but hey, its a free country .

Question for all- what should our immigration policy be when millions of people living in the delta regions of Asia and the sub continent and also islands in the Indian and Pacific ocean are displaced by rising sea levels and are looking for a home? Presuming you believe this may happen of course. It would ,I submit be prudent to think it may.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:43pm

BB,

I only read Evo's comment as being an attack on the Chinese government. How could it be any other way? The Chinese public couldn't have made the virus, they couldn't be buying up oil surplus. Plus, it's patently false, the Chinese economy is down nearly 10%. They're hurting too.

And anyway, why is it that when you attack Russian meddling or American imperialism does the same judgement not apply?

You've got a tendency towards rigidity, which is fine in itself, yet when you don't agree with someone, it sometimes leads you to accuse them of sins that simply aren't warranted. Again, you don't see that so you'll deny it, but I'm typing it because it's what you do.

If you disagree with Blowin's points then put them out there. I'll do my best to stop any ad hominem attacks, from both sides.

FWIW I think the link between house prices and immigration is overstated. It exists, no doubt, but a direct connection is debunked when looking at countries with less immigration vs their house pricing. But whatever, I don't have to come to blows because of a difference of opinion.

Fact is, I'm right, he's wrong, and I'm probably better looking too.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:37pm

Sorry Stu, I struggle to read it as anything but a racist attack on Chinese people. It does not even mention the Chinese government or the CCP. But even in your reading it is an incendiary comment in the current atmosphere that encourages worse........
As for my comments on Russia and America, did you have anything particular in mind? I can’t recall anything likely to have offended anyone but Trump and Putin supporters. And as for coming to blows over a difference of opinion, as I said before blatant lies do not count as opinions. If I ever gave you the impression that I was likely to take an insult in my stride or step back from conflict, I apologise. That was never the case. I never got even a grade one Good Hippie badge.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:42pm

Good question H2O but the answer will be the same as our current policy which totally disregards the millions of displaced persons produced by our role in destabilising the Middle East with our participation in the invasion of Iraq. The same people now stuck in refugee camps with poor sanitation and minimal medical equipment awaiting the arrival of COVID-19.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:54pm

BB, does it need saying?

Why would ordinary people Chinese buy surplus oil, make fake viruses etc?

They wouldn't, the Chinese governement would - ergo it was an attack on the Chinese government.

Exactly the same as when you put something down to "Russan meddling" right-minded people didn't think you were denigrating every Ivan and Annouschka, but instead targetting the Kremlin.

I can hold your comments up to the very same light as Evo's.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:02pm

The oil was bought opportunistically by Chinese companies, not the government. The lab in Wuhan presumably employs scientists not politicians and received significant funding from the US. The insult is against ordinary people going about their legitimate business.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:10pm

Nah, you're scrambling.

Even if that is true, and I doubt it, the intention was clearly to suggest that CCP had "won the war".

Sorry mate, if you call that racist, then all your posts about Russian meddling and American imperialism are too.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:44pm

So post them. I’m interested to see if I ever made such a comment, but more to the point, I think you are being naive if you do not read that as quite deliberately and explicitly racist. The language is inflammatory and the effect, and almost certainly the intention, of alleging that the virus release was deliberate, is to increase hostility and given it was published in Australia, the most likely victims of that hostility are Australians of Asian appearance. There has already been a significant spike in racist incidents, comments like this encourage such behaviour, therefore they are racist.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:51pm

Have you read the reports of how Africans or people of colour are faring in China right now BB?

https://abcnews.go.com/International/foreigners-black-people-unwelcome-p...

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:13pm

The fact that China is racist does not justify racism here, particularly since the victims are most frequently Australian citizens.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:19pm

If Chinese are racist - you just said this was a fact- then why should anyone be perturbed if they are subject to racism , even if they’re living in Australia ?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:23pm

Same group pulling the strings behind the scenes of China and US and just about everyone else. Playing people off against each other at our level works a treat, plays into their hands beautifully, always has.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:29pm

Shortenism, so say your absolute bogus claims are correct.

What you gonna do, what can we do, if such large powers are at play..

Just give the mind a rest and move on.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 5:31pm

Blowin, see previous comment.