COVID-19 Health System Overload Forecaster

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm

I've created a spreadsheet forecast which I'll update as we go..

There's also a website with live running data.. https://sites.google.com/view/stayhomeaustralia

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 10:33am

Good luck Super, take care of yourself.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 1:44pm

Covid is over…hooray!

Delta doesn’t exist anymore and no one would ever have survived without the vaccines!

Lol

https://www.smh.com.au/national/what-to-expect-when-you-re-a-family-of-f...

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 3:12pm

More pfucken nonsense pfrom the mainstream press written by one of your trusted politicians brought to you by pfffffffizer.
Pfuck off.

Mike H Cross's picture
Mike H Cross's picture
Mike H Cross Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 3:16pm

In the absence of any conclusive evidence regarding omicron and it's medium and long term consequences, which there has been inadequate time to establish, it appears to me like all state and federal leaders are currently engaged in a game of two up as to how they respond to the vagaries of what may evolve. Will the pennies come up a two heads duplication of the Sth African "4th Wave" or drop another permutation, such a a heads/tail combo that see our hospitals unable to manage? Or will omicron cheat us outta a fair dinkum good game by morphing into another variation?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm

I’m only 1/3 way through this 3 hour podcast and so far really interesting if you have an open mind. Its on spotify for anyone interested . C4239801-3-CE2-422-E-8-FC4-81-DD99-E208-BE

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 3:45pm

the nasal rinse is spot on, but I wouldnt be recommending snorting eucalyptus oil. Each to their own, but that would be too harsh for me

I've been using a colloidal silver nasal spray as my front line defence. Cheap and readily available at a good pharmacy. Recommended by a good naturopath

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 5:02pm

Haha I wouldn’t recommend snorting eucalyptus oil either, nor should you inject it Greenjam. It’s found in many pharmacy decongestants, and the old school inhaling with a couple drops in a hot bowl and a towel comes from my grandmother who was a career nurse, and our families naturopath. Plenty of natural remedies can play a part

Everything has risks and benefits I guess
https://www.insider.com/is-colloidal-silver-safe

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 6:00pm
shoredump wrote:

Haha I wouldn’t recommend snorting eucalyptus oil either, nor should you inject it Greenjam. It’s found in many pharmacy decongestants, and the old school inhaling with a couple drops in a hot bowl and a towel comes from my grandmother who was a career nurse, and our families naturopath. Plenty of natural remedies can play a part

Plenty of natural remedies can play a part….in taking your money. 99% ineffective snake oil.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

Plenty of natural remedies can play a part….in taking your money. 99% ineffective snake oil.

Plenty of natural medicine's also work very well too.

Once upon a time natural medicine was all that humans had, then over time humans slowly learnt to take something like a natural plant etc and extract the active ingredient to get a stronger more efficient medicine.

In a lot of cases we still do this today.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 6:54pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

Once upon a time natural medicine was all that humans had, then over time humans slowly learnt to take something like a natural plant etc and extract the active ingredient to get a stronger more efficient medicine.

In April 2019 natural therapies were banned from insurers funding due to there being zero evidence they work.

Anyone that thinks big pharma is out to use patients for no other reason than profit, should look at the scam that is the natural / alternative medicine industry, these snake oil salesmen are far more proficient and devious than big pharma in most cases.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm

ahhhh the old hot bowl and towel trick.
As a kid I remember my Nan making anyone and everyone who had the slightest sniffle hang their head over a bowl of steaming eucalyptus oil/water.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:11pm
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

In April 2019 natural therapies were banned from insurers funding due to there being zero evidence they work.

Anyone that thinks big pharma is out to use patients for no other reason than profit, should look at the scam that is the natural / alternative medicine industry, these snake oil salesmen are far more proficient and devious than big pharma in most cases.

RK can you explain to us what pig pharma is really out to achieve besides profit , serious question.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:20pm
Supafreak wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

RK can you explain to us what pig pharma is really out to achieve besides profit , serious question.

Saving life, prolonging life, reducing pain, developing medical devices, research, developing better medication etc etc.

I know they are not perfect, some are scum, some are bad… but overall they do good.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:31pm
Roadkill wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

Saving life, prolonging life, reducing pain, developing medical devices, research, developing better medication etc etc.

I know they are not perfect, some are scum, some are bad… but overall they do good.

HA!!! That has to be the funniest statement ever. You really are a dumb c#nt!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:36pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

Profits aside, what do you think they do, BD?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:38pm

I won’t argue that drugs can target and deliver superior results. However sustained over use can have a negative result on your well-being

I’ll be doing what you do for COVID plus a little bit extra, fine by me

I bet you love to cover yourself in aero guard of an evening and spray weed killer on your lawn too. Each to their own I guess, but not for me or my family

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:41pm
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

I've posted ad nauseum on here about pfizer, their proven criminal record, theirs and the FDAs unwillingness to release vaccine development data. Go back and read them. You left plenty of your snide little comments after each of them so I just assumed you'd read them

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:42pm
shoredump wrote:

I won’t argue that drugs can target and deliver superior results. However sustained over use can have a negative result on your well-being

I bet you love to cover yourself in aero guard of an evening and spray weed killer on your lawn too. Each to their own I guess, but not for me or my family

Would the world be better without big pharma, SD? Just a yes or no, is all that is required.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

I've posted ad nauseum on here about pfizer, their proven criminal record, theirs and the FDAs unwillingness to release vaccine development data. Go back and read them. You left plenty of your snide little comments after each of them so I just assumed you'd read them

You avoided answering the question.

Besides profit, what do you think they BD? Do they provide benefits for the public? Do they do good things?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:49pm
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

Would the world be better without big pharma, SD? Just a yes or no, is all that is required.

I have no qualms with big pharma at all, what are you on about RK?

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:47pm

NO!!!

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm

Bad completely outweighs the good. Huge NO.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:52pm
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

There is literally thousands of natural remedies that work many are often packaged and sold as extracts etc, the problem id expect for insurers is more things need to be tested and proven and there needs to be some quality control, natural substances like plants can vary greatly on genetics growing conditions time of year a plant is picked etc.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:52pm
bluediamond wrote:

What a weird thing to say.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:56pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
shoredump wrote:

There is literally thousands of natural remedies that work many are often packaged and sold as extracts etc, the problem id expect for insurers is more things need to be tested and proven and there needs to be some quality control, natural substances like plants can vary greatly on genetics growing conditions time of year a plant is picked etc.

Imagine that…expecting something to be tested for safety and proven to work. That is a novel thing

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:00pm
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

Why? Based on everything I've posted above why weird?
Hypothetically if a guy guns down 40 people because it profits his beliefs/religion/backpocket, gets convicted of it but then helps a granny across the street should I consider him a helping and caring citizen?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:09pm

@roadkill , I know we need pig pharma and there are many examples of how mankind has benefited . I do believe however that their main purpose is to make money and some times that has been not so beneficial to mankind . The fact that they spend more on advertising than they do on actual development of drugs says a lot . Here’s a thought provoking read. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/books/pharma-gerald-posner.html

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

Why? Based on everything I've posted above why weird?
Hypothetically if a guy guns down 40 people because it profits his beliefs/religion/backpocket, gets convicted of it but then helps a granny across the street should I consider him a helping and caring citizen?

Think about it, BD. You think bag pharma does more bad than good. All the cancer treatments that people receive, heart medication, devices like stents, dental treatments, cataract surgery, simple steroid treatments that save lives….the list is endless. Yet, you in your wisdom think these benefits and more are outweighed by bad things.

You really are not the best thinker.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:23pm

It’s got a paywall so here’s the article How Big Pharma Grew Addicted to Big Profits By Natasha Singer
Published March 12, 2020
Updated July 8, 2021
PHARMA
Greed, Lies, and the Poisoning of America
By Gerald Posner

In 1900, Bayer, the German pharmaceutical company that had developed aspirin, introduced a much stronger brand of pain killer in the United States. The new drug was called heroin, a name derived from the German word for “heroic.” The company promoted it as a treatment for an array of ills: colds, coughs, asthma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, stomach cancer, schizophrenia. It also advertised heroin as safe for children. And anyone over 18 could buy it, Gerald Posner notes in a new book, “Pharma: Greed, Lies, and the Poisoning of America.” “The highly addictive nature of their products,” he writes of drugmakers at the turn of the 20th century, “coupled with no government oversight and regulation, was good for sales.”

Bayer was hardly the only company at the time touting risky products as panaceas. Posner describes how the makers of Kopp’s Baby Friend, a popular potion for quieting colicky infants, scoured newspapers for birth announcements and then sent mothers free samples. The giveaway aimed at mothers was an early precursor of a consumer-influence technique known today as “targeted marketing.” The mothers who received the “Baby Friend” freebies, however, did not know that the formula contained alcohol and morphine sulfate, ingredients that could be poisonous to babies. Dozens of infants died. Posner draws on these incidents to introduce the idea that, in the early days of the pharmaceutical industry at least, it could be difficult to distinguish drugmakers from snake oil purveyors. Posner is an investigative journalist and the author of a dozen books including “Case Closed,” a re-examination of the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and “Mengele,” an account of the botched hunt for the Nazi war criminal. In “Pharma,” he similarly focuses on crimes and misdemeanors, this time committed by drugmakers starting in the early 1900s — with their outrageous marketing of addictive medicines like opioids — and concluding more than a century later, full circle, with their deliberate downplaying of the risk of modern-day opioids. The focus on drug industry profiteering marks this book as the latest entry in a growing canon of Big Bad Pharma books. The category already includes contemporary industry overviews like “The Truth About the Drug Companies,” by Dr. Marcia Angell, a former editor in chief of The New England Journal of Medicine, along with narrower works like “Bottle of Lies,” which focuses specifically on the makers of generic drugs. What distinguishes “Pharma” from these earlier efforts is that the author sets himself the task of writing a bigger, more ambitious tome. Posner envisions “Pharma” as a definitive history of the pharmaceutical industry “in its entirety” in a single volume. After all, he argues, people cannot really understand how firms like Bayer, Merck and Pfizer evolved into “sprawling pharma conglomerates that sell a trillion dollars of drugs annually” without understanding their early histories as pioneer peddlers of then-legal heroin and cocaine. The result is a withering and encyclopedic indictment of a drug industry that often seems to prioritize profits over patients. Over 550 densely packed pages, Posner tells a tireless and occasionally tiring tale that reads like a pharmaceutical version of cops and robbers. There are chapters on the discovery and popularization of drugs for anxiety, for menopause, for pain management — each following a similar narrative arc. First, the author exposes how drug companies pushed medical, ethical and legal boundaries, often causing more public harm than health benefit. Then he describes lawmakers and regulators scrambling to catch up and rein in the drugmakers. And repeat. One of the most telling episodes involves antibiotics. The mass production of penicillin during World War II helped pharmaceutical companies throw off their reputations as addictive drug pushers and rebrand themselves as producers of innovative, lifesaving products. The drugmakers also reaped massive profits from penicillin. And they were eager to earn even more, “Pharma” explains, by patenting broad-spectrum antibiotics that might be used for all kinds of health conditions. It was a retro strategy, harking back to the cure-all claims the companies had made decades earlier to promote narcotics like morphine. And it worked. Posner recounts how many doctors came to view super antibiotics as their drugs of choice — not only for proven uses like treating bacterial infections, but “even prophylactically at the first signs of a fever, earache, scratchy throat or runny nose.” One researcher, he writes, “estimated that overenthusiasm about the new drugs meant they were prescribed unnecessarily more than 90 percent of the time.” That overeagerness drowned out troubling reports of allergic reactions to the drugs, fungal infections and the risks of antibiotic resistance. But the Food and Drug Administration, established in 1906 to oversee product safety, did not intervene, Posner notes, because its commissioner at the time did not want to be seen as an obstacle to lifesaving medications. By 1950, pharmaceuticals had became the most profitable industry in the United States. But the mass adoption of antibiotic “wonder drugs” had opened a schism. Industry veterans, including the chief executive of Merck, insisted that medicines should be developed for people first, not for profit. Upstarts like John McKeen, the chairman of Pfizer, Posner writes, took the opposite view, arguing that it was not worth investing in drugs that would not generate substantial revenue. In 1951, McKeen decided to use the launch of Terramycin, the company’s new broad-spectrum antibiotic, to develop a playbook for creating a blockbuster drug. For that he turned to Arthur M. Sackler, a hard-charging advertising executive who had trained as a doctor — and who decades later would become known as one of the three brothers behind Purdue Pharma, the developer of OxyContin, the painkiller at the center of the current opioid abuse epidemic. McKeen allotted $7.5 million for the Terramycin campaign, an unheard-of sum for medical marketing at the time. Sackler used the funds for a novel saturation-marketing campaign, adapting Madison Avenue’s techniques for selling consumer goods for his own “Medicine Avenue” advertising methods. Along the way, Sackler also reset the ethical boundaries of medical marketing. “Pharma” reveals how he started one company to plant drug promotions, disguised as articles, in popular newspapers and magazines — and co-founded another company, IMS Health, to track doctors’ prescribing habits the better to influence them. It shows how the marketing maverick hired and co-opted a director of the F.D.A.’s antibiotics division to support unproven medical ideas favorable to the industry. And it exposes a misleading Sackler-produced advertising campaign that used fake doctors to promote precarious combinations of antibiotics. Sacklers’s aggressive, and often transgressive, marketing techniques would radically remake the drug industry, contributing over the decades to the overprescription of drugs like Valium, menopause treatments, painkillers and antidepressants, ultimately resulting in untold health harms. Indeed, Purdue Pharma, the drug company owned by the Sackler brothers, adapted those influence techniques in the 1990s to deceptively market OxyContin, an opioid with a slow-release mechanism, Posner writes. “Pharma” relates how the company promoted the drug to regulators and doctors as a safer, more effective and less addictive opioid — even as executives knew it was a highly addictive product that led many people to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms and even turn to drugs like heroin when they could not get their prescriptions renewed. Posner blames the ensuing opioid abuse epidemic, which has led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, in part on “the addictive drugs that 150 years earlier were the core DNA of the pharmaceutical industry.”

That is ultimately a reductive argument. If Big Pharma is still addicted to the century-old idea of producing “staggering profits from their highly addictive products,” it’s difficult to imagine a viable rehab for the industry. Perhaps that’s why “Pharma” devotes so many words to industry malfeasance and only one sentence at the end to a possible “multidisciplinary solution.” Natasha Singer covers the intersection of technology, business and society for The New York Times. Previously, she reported on the pharmaceutical industry and medical ethics.

PHARMA
By Gerald Posner
802 pp. Avid Reader. $35. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/books/pharma-gerald-posner.html

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:24pm

What Supafreak posted above road-dill

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:37pm
bluediamond wrote:

What Supafreak posted above road-dill

That’s the way, BD…hide behind SF’s post like the big mouthy coward you are..says a completely unintelligent stupid thing…can’t really back it up…hides behind others posts.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:44pm

What more is there to say though?? Seriously, um...snowflake!
Oops edit! Forgot you cant reader write more than 3 lines so I guess you didn't actually read it. Which explains why you're so singularly focused on your pro covid narrative.
Thoughts on...not releasing vaccine trial information for 55 years?
Their historical criminal charges, the largest in US history??
Who's hiding roadfill?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:41pm
Supafreak wrote:

It’s got a paywall so here’s the article How Big Pharma Grew Addicted to Big Profits By Natasha Singer
Published March 12, 2020
Updated July 8, 2021
PHARMA
By Gerald Posner

In 1900, Bayer, the German pharmaceutical company that had developed aspirin, introduced a much stronger brand of pain killer in the United States. The new drug was called heroin, a name derived from the German word for “heroic.” The company promoted it as a treatment for an array of ills: colds, coughs, asthma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, stomach cancer, schizophrenia. It also advertised heroin as safe for children. And anyone over 18 could buy it, Gerald Posner notes in a new book, “Pharma: Greed, Lies, and the Poisoning of America.” “The highly addictive nature of their products,” he writes of drugmakers at the turn of the 20th century, “coupled with no government oversight and regulation, was good for sales.”

Bayer was hardly the only company at the time touting risky products as panaceas. Posner describes how the makers of Kopp’s Baby Friend, a popular potion for quieting colicky infants, scoured newspapers for birth announcements and then sent mothers free samples. The giveaway aimed at mothers was an early precursor of a consumer-influence technique known today as “targeted marketing.” The mothers who received the “Baby Friend” freebies, however, did not know that the formula contained alcohol and morphine sulfate, ingredients that could be poisonous to babies. Dozens of infants died. Posner draws on these incidents to introduce the idea that, in the early days of the pharmaceutical industry at least, it could be difficult to distinguish drugmakers from snake oil purveyors. Posner is an investigative journalist and the author of a dozen books including “Case Closed,” a re-examination of the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and “Mengele,” an account of the botched hunt for the Nazi war criminal. In “Pharma,” he similarly focuses on crimes and misdemeanors, this time committed by drugmakers starting in the early 1900s — with their outrageous marketing of addictive medicines like opioids — and concluding more than a century later, full circle, with their deliberate downplaying of the risk of modern-day opioids. The focus on drug industry profiteering marks this book as the latest entry in a growing canon of Big Bad Pharma books. The category already includes contemporary industry overviews like “The Truth About the Drug Companies,” by Dr. Marcia Angell, a former editor in chief of The New England Journal of Medicine, along with narrower works like “Bottle of Lies,” which focuses specifically on the makers of generic drugs. What distinguishes “Pharma” from these earlier efforts is that the author sets himself the task of writing a bigger, more ambitious tome. Posner envisions “Pharma” as a definitive history of the pharmaceutical industry “in its entirety” in a single volume. After all, he argues, people cannot really understand how firms like Bayer, Merck and Pfizer evolved into “sprawling pharma conglomerates that sell a trillion dollars of drugs annually” without understanding their early histories as pioneer peddlers of then-legal heroin and cocaine. The result is a withering and encyclopedic indictment of a drug industry that often seems to prioritize profits over patients. Over 550 densely packed pages, Posner tells a tireless and occasionally tiring tale that reads like a pharmaceutical version of cops and robbers. There are chapters on the discovery and popularization of drugs for anxiety, for menopause, for pain management — each following a similar narrative arc. First, the author exposes how drug companies pushed medical, ethical and legal boundaries, often causing more public harm than health benefit. Then he describes lawmakers and regulators scrambling to catch up and rein in the drugmakers. And repeat. One of the most telling episodes involves antibiotics. The mass production of penicillin during World War II helped pharmaceutical companies throw off their reputations as addictive drug pushers and rebrand themselves as producers of innovative, lifesaving products. The drugmakers also reaped massive profits from penicillin. And they were eager to earn even more, “Pharma” explains, by patenting broad-spectrum antibiotics that might be used for all kinds of health conditions. It was a retro strategy, harking back to the cure-all claims the companies had made decades earlier to promote narcotics like morphine. And it worked. Posner recounts how many doctors came to view super antibiotics as their drugs of choice — not only for proven uses like treating bacterial infections, but “even prophylactically at the first signs of a fever, earache, scratchy throat or runny nose.” One researcher, he writes, “estimated that overenthusiasm about the new drugs meant they were prescribed unnecessarily more than 90 percent of the time.” That overeagerness drowned out troubling reports of allergic reactions to the drugs, fungal infections and the risks of antibiotic resistance. But the Food and Drug Administration, established in 1906 to oversee product safety, did not intervene, Posner notes, because its commissioner at the time did not want to be seen as an obstacle to lifesaving medications. By 1950, pharmaceuticals had became the most profitable industry in the United States. But the mass adoption of antibiotic “wonder drugs” had opened a schism. Industry veterans, including the chief executive of Merck, insisted that medicines should be developed for people first, not for profit. Upstarts like John McKeen, the chairman of Pfizer, Posner writes, took the opposite view, arguing that it was not worth investing in drugs that would not generate substantial revenue. In 1951, McKeen decided to use the launch of Terramycin, the company’s new broad-spectrum antibiotic, to develop a playbook for creating a blockbuster drug. For that he turned to Arthur M. Sackler, a hard-charging advertising executive who had trained as a doctor — and who decades later would become known as one of the three brothers behind Purdue Pharma, the developer of OxyContin, the painkiller at the center of the current opioid abuse epidemic. McKeen allotted $7.5 million for the Terramycin campaign, an unheard-of sum for medical marketing at the time. Sackler used the funds for a novel saturation-marketing campaign, adapting Madison Avenue’s techniques for selling consumer goods for his own “Medicine Avenue” advertising methods. Along the way, Sackler also reset the ethical boundaries of medical marketing. “Pharma” reveals how he started one company to plant drug promotions, disguised as articles, in popular newspapers and magazines — and co-founded another company, IMS Health, to track doctors’ prescribing habits the better to influence them. It shows how the marketing maverick hired and co-opted a director of the F.D.A.’s antibiotics division to support unproven medical ideas favorable to the industry. And it exposes a misleading Sackler-produced advertising campaign that used fake doctors to promote precarious combinations of antibiotics. Sacklers’s aggressive, and often transgressive, marketing techniques would radically remake the drug industry, contributing over the decades to the overprescription of drugs like Valium, menopause treatments, painkillers and antidepressants, ultimately resulting in untold health harms. Indeed, Purdue Pharma, the drug company owned by the Sackler brothers, adapted those influence techniques in the 1990s to deceptively market OxyContin, an opioid with a slow-release mechanism, Posner writes. “Pharma” relates how the company promoted the drug to regulators and doctors as a safer, more effective and less addictive opioid — even as executives knew it was a highly addictive product that led many people to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms and even turn to drugs like heroin when they could not get their prescriptions renewed. Posner blames the ensuing opioid abuse epidemic, which has led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, in part on “the addictive drugs that 150 years earlier were the core DNA of the pharmaceutical industry.”

That is ultimately a reductive argument. If Big Pharma is still addicted to the century-old idea of producing “staggering profits from their highly addictive products,” it’s difficult to imagine a viable rehab for the industry. Perhaps that’s why “Pharma” devotes so many words to industry malfeasance and only one sentence at the end to a possible “multidisciplinary solution.” Natasha Singer covers the intersection of technology, business and society for The New York Times. Previously, she reported on the pharmaceutical industry and medical ethics.

PHARMA
By Gerald Posner
802 pp. Avid Reader. $35. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/books/pharma-gerald-posner.html

I said some are scum. In particular, those filth from Purdue Pharma…should have been fined much more, all the way to bring bankrupted and put in jail.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:43pm
bluediamond wrote:

What more is there to say though?? Seriously, um...snowflake!

Think wider, BD. I don’t think you are capable though.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:50pm

Wider? I talked to a friend yesterday who's mum died of covid in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Pretty tough convo. Im well aware of the reality.
Also well aware that there is science and scientists out there that are brilliant and can help. Also well aware covid has been hijacked by one industry that prevents actual TREATMENT of covid, has eliminated early treatment drugs from the market, has a huge criminal record and has the monopoly on the vaccines and the worlds populations to use them on. Want me to go any bigger than that?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:53pm
bluediamond wrote:

Wider? I talked to a friend yesterday who's mum died of covid in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Pretty tough convo. Im well aware of the reality.
Also well aware that there is science and scientists out there that are brilliant and can help. Also well aware covid has been hijacked by one industry that prevents actual TREATMENT of covid, has eliminated early treatment drugs from the market, has a huge criminal record and has the monopoly on the vaccines and the worlds populations to use them on. Want me to go any bigger than that?

Yes, go bigger. Covid is small stuff in the grand scheme of pharma.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:54pm

Remember, you said…big pharma is more bad than good. The negatives, outweigh the positives.

Think about it.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:55pm
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

Thats as pissweak a response as id expect from you on here.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 8:59pm
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

The pissweak is you, BD. You have zero real response. You look like a fool.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 9:03pm
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
bluediamond wrote:

The pissweak is you, BD. You have zero real response. You look like a fool.

Righto. No real response. Going back over the archives, I still don't recall you posting anything of actual substance, with credible sources to accompany it, and with a well weighted and considered opinion. No worries though road flake.

Alana_a's picture
Alana_a's picture
Alana_a Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 9:42pm

VIC locals carried you all year road-dill. So what’s this? A New Years resolution to go at someone solo?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 12:11am

2020/21 Oz Vax Wrap
Jan- Brendan : No evidence of human viral transmission + the risk on flights is probably very low.
Masks & Quarantine is a bit over the top!
April- Chile hands out VIP immunity Cards...
June- US Academy of Kidz confirm that Kidz rarely transmit Covid
Oct- [WHO] take forever to finally wake up to Long Covid
NRL VIP's mass breach their Resort Quarantine to squeeze in one last drug run...for this week!
Masks don't protect yer head from being bashed in or yer car windows from being smashed in! Ouch!

Labs, Cruises, Hot Hotel Chains, judged themselves to be innocent after heading up their own inquiries.

2021 Rollout
Don't need to mandate Vax...because Vaccinated can't catch Covid to spread any virus.
Scomo's Phase 1 Vax spike was so doped out, it even fooled the April Fools.
Vax side FX number in the millions & even more got heart attacks counting the official fake case numbers.
Premier's mandate Frontline 1st Dose to buck pass partial blame for interstate Vax fuelled Lockdowns!
Hot Vax Hubs lockdown the city as Anti Vax rallies heat up towns just to cool case numbers down.
Daggy Dad's Army bursts everyone's Bubbles...{ Oz Travel Card } "Just breach every border you can!"

[WHO] : No > [Spreading][Origin][Long Covid][Mandates][VIP Pass][Hoarding][Boosters][Mix'n'Match]
Living Treasure expert mass spreaderz : (All Together!) "And ya can #@*% yer [Masks] up yer #@*!"

Oz Case File
6/19/20th Jan 2020 Sydney Oz 1st Cases (Tested [+] after the Fact.)
25th Jan Melbourne Oz first [+] Test Case
5th Aug (Natural Covid Peak) 513.14 cases/day [OWID] > (31st Dec 2021 > next Mass Vax Peak cases)

21st Feb 2021 Rollout (393 days on) 28,920 cases (Day/rate) 73.58/day > Deaths 909 > 2.31/day
Note: Rollout started with zero - very low Covid + Ultra slow dubious Fed Govt Rollout.
Phase 1 Rollout Data was (Censored) until Feds Mass Easter Data Dump corrupted Phase 1 spikes!.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/australia-s-daily-covid-19-vaccine-rollo...
From Easter the Cases then artificially dropped by the eve of Oz Workers seasonal end'o'winter spike.
Important to note that only a few are fully vaxed at this point of time...but daily rates did lower!

18 Aug (1 dose 50.15%) Day Rate drops to 66.5/day > Deaths dropped to 0.34/day (A good thing!)

Again! August is peak fuel load... see Mass Vax immune escape leak > fuels mass infections.

23/24 Sept (2nd dose 50.15% + 75.4% 1 dose) Record 302.4 cases/day > Deaths rising to 1.39/day
27th Oct (2nd dose 75.5%) pushing up to 536.7 cases/day > deaths now also a record 3.06/day
5th Nov +10% Freedom (2nd Dose 80.2%) bumping 577.7 cases/day > deaths are soaring to 3.45/day
16th Dec +10% Freedom (2nd dose 90.1%) ramps 693.4 cases/day > deaths rise to 4.08/day
31st Dec (end) (2nd dose 91.4%) skyrockets 1,293 cases/day > Massive death toll of 7.2 /day
Reminder! These are calculated (Average) daily/rates dating back from Rollout Start Date.

Summary : World Record infection spike..(Not any country or Island can compete with Oz Record)
This must be the World's worst ever Vax / Cure / healing disaster...not quite sure wot to call it?
(5th Aug 2020 *513 cases/day) > (31st Dec 2021 *35,326 cases/day) = 68.8x rise or 6784% ramp.
Note! That's with the assist of $ Gazillion + now tip in WR Mass Hospital / Mass Frontline Crisis! OMG!

Avg daily infection rate pre Vax 73.58 day to Expert's 91.4% Vax 1,293 day (1,658% rise / 17.5x extra)

Avg daily rate of Covid Deaths pre Vax 2.31 day to Expert's 91,4% Vax 7.2 day (212% rise / 3x extra)
Most alarming of all is not yet revealed > The extra skyrocketing death stats,...Experts take note!
Deaths keep rising faster than cases with each and every vax that goes in arms...
Deaths are currently rising 9.3x faster than current average Oz daily death rate...
Not that tbb chooses to demonstrate, but here's a wake up comparison.
Mostly Vaxed Aussies have died & faster from 13th Oct to 31st Dec than thru-out whole Oz Pandemic.

Experts can decide which of their pet Mass Killers are knocking off Aussies at record speed!
13th Oct (1 dose 83.6% > 2 dose 83.6%)
8th Nov Boosters
Just reminding that MSM/ Experts are expertly massaging less deaths into your brains! (Mass Lies!)

Bloody Hell tbb...digging up 2021 is not a bright way to start off the New Year...
Hang on! So the Crew long for their Gold Standard ..then crew shall have Gold Standard..
Qldurr tbb was born to flip this hot mess on it's head...d'd don'tt you wworry 'bout that!

But first! Crew gotta sign this essential { Vax Consent Form .......X This is not a race! }

Congratulations to The Wacky Vax Race Winners
"Daggy Dad's Down Under Gold Standard Experts"

worldometer Gold Standard WR Covid Medal.
#1 [ New Cases ] Daggy Dad goes from Zero to Sub Zero
#5 [ New cases/m ]
*25 [ Active Cases ] *With a bullet!
#16 [ New Deaths ]
#17 [ New Deaths/m ]
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Tip : [ Click the feint [Arrows v^] in each Header to adjust order ]

PS : Oz +35,320 (vs) World + 133,991 = 26% of Total World Covid
Oz is #1 Isolated largest Island > #244 least densely pop Country but has 26% of World Covid WTF.
Could this be any worse...all our Olympic Medals just Rolled off shore looking for a better hang!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_popu...
We are now officially crowned those Guys! The laughing stock of the Universe!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 6:49am

I think I might have the Death Plague.

I’ve been feeling a bit lazy the last couple of days and assumed it was attributable to the five long surfs I had in the couple of days previous. Nothing crazy , just a bit lethargic. Even had a brief daytime nap yesterday which is almost unheard of. Had a scratchy throat and a weird sort of heartbeat. A bit of lightheadedness if I stand up quickly. Then I woke up during the night sweating and feeling hot. My lady and her mum have all been feeling the same. It’s only just dawned on me that I may be the walking dead.

I’d rate it’s severity equivalent as an extremely mild touch of Bali belly.

Should we order the surrounding shire to be locked in their houses for 23 hours per day and get the military to police the streets like we did a few months ago?

It would be when the waves are pumping…..

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 6:55am
Blowin wrote:

I think I might have the Death Plague.

I’ve been feeling a bit lazy the last couple of days and assumed it was attributable to the five long surfs I had in the couple of days previous. Nothing crazy , just a bit lethargic. Even had a brief daytime nap yesterday which is almost unheard of. Had a scratchy throat and a weird sort of heartbeat. A bit of lightheadedness if I stand up quickly. Then I woke up during the night sweating and feeling hot. My lady and her mum have all been feeling the same. It’s only just dawned on me that I may be the walking dead.

I’d rate it’s severity equivalent as an extremely mild touch of Bali belly.

Should we order the surrounding shire to be locked in their houses for 23 hours per day and get the military to police the streets like we did a few months ago?

It would be when the waves are pumping…..

Fuck, I legit had the same thing yesterday. Dizzy when getting up, heat beat felt a bit off.

I went to bed at 9 instead of 10. Is this the end?

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 7:49am

Blowin when u have no life and need to comment on swellnet forums round 3 in the morn then you’ll need a daytime rest… ;);)

Studies have proven that lack of sleep / disturbed sleep patterns result in brain damage. It’s no death plague - but man child syndrome can be fatal if left untreated ;);)

Other symptoms associated with your condition will include repeated and unsubstantiated verbal outbursts and the inability to have a balanced perspective on… anything!

Unfortunately the condition can be incurable - especially if you are so deep in man child syndrome that you have become a middle aged white dude who thinks his delusional take on the world is actually real… At this stage of the syndrome the term for a sufferer is referred to as ‘straight up fuckwit with a keyboard’.

Once this stage has been reached the patient is impervious to any treatment…
One will often develop a mindset so fragile that every day they will comment on stuff they have no idea about and, if challenged, will pretend to exhibit traits of imaginary contentment involving telling stories of how good their life is and how much they surf! Yay!

The man child, in most severe cases, eventually just reverts to being a child…
Dummy spits, as well as foul sexist and racist language may ensue - ppl even get told to fuck orffffffffff ;);)

So rest up cupcake… the severity is glaringly on show. Gonna need plenty of energy in reserve to keep on keeping on at this rate ;);)

Go bloke !

aaron61's picture
aaron61's picture
aaron61 Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 7:50am
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 8:15am
Jelly Flater wrote:

Blowin when u have no life and need to comment on swellnet forums round 3 in the morn then you’ll need a daytime rest… ;);)

Studies have proven that lack of sleep / disturbed sleep patterns result in brain damage. It’s no death plague - but man child syndrome can be fatal if left untreated ;);)

Other symptoms associated with your condition will include repeated and unsubstantiated verbal outbursts and the inability to have a balanced perspective on… anything!

Unfortunately the condition can be incurable - especially if you are so deep in man child syndrome that you have become a middle aged white dude who thinks his delusional take on the world is actually real… At this stage of the syndrome the term for a sufferer is referred to as ‘straight up fuckwit with a keyboard’.

Once this stage has been reached the patient is impervious to any treatment…
One will often develop a mindset so fragile that every day they will comment on stuff they have no idea about and, if challenged, will pretend to exhibit traits of imaginary contentment involving telling stories of how good their life is and how much they surf! Yay!

The man child, in most severe cases, eventually just reverts to being a child…
Dummy spits, as well as foul sexist and racist language may ensue - ppl even get told to fuck orffffffffff ;);)

So rest up cupcake… the severity is glaringly on show. Gonna need plenty of energy in reserve to keep on keeping on at this rate ;);)

Go bloke !

You are so right.

Covid is obviously so deadly that now we are having tens of thousands of new cases every day in NSW people must be dropping like flies!

Maybe the people who aren’t dying are just lacking in sleep and as a result aren’t intelligent enough to be scared to death.

My sleeping hours are usually 8-3 Bloke. 7 hours is perfect. You should perhaps try it as it may help cure your irrational fear. You should definitely try something!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 8:38am

Oz wins another Covie Gold Medal ...biggest increase of Avg daily Covid cases.
Downunder Gold Standard VIP Vax is officially crowned the Hottest drop in town...
Now roll up yer sleeves & stand back...a bit more ... more...here, try this 40ft pole mate! Onya Champ!
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia-sees-biggest-increas...
To think we're still runnin' on our least infectious mid summer Covid Olympic Timetable...
China might serve Oz an official Winter Olympic Ban before we can boycott their Cold War Games....drool!

UserMick's picture
UserMick's picture
UserMick Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 8:37am

Congratulations swellnet on a great comment string
All the freedom to comment makes for great reading and many laughs
Thanks

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 8:44am

Hospitalisations double in a week, ICU cases rise by 50% with lots more to come after all the Xmas and New Year parties. But never mind, most are old and sick anyway and Blowie's as happy as a narcissist with a mirror.