Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:34am

And the problem is?

As John Lydon once said, "this is what you want, this is what you get."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:35am

Any breaking news on Scotty from Marketing being tested yet? Or is he waiting for Trump?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:35am

"This is what happens when the political class gets eroded into uselessness and replaced by corruption conduits wearing blue ties."

Virulent tuber = rooted vegetable

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:41am

Potato blight killed a helluva lot of people.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:42am

Aaah, Facto.

Steadfastly reliable in his limited ability to perform his same 3 tricks and not a thing more.....

1/ Never reveal a stance on an issue as it renders him open to being proved incorrect . Also known as Better to stay silent and assumed to be a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.

2/ Why be erudite when you can aim for glib ?

3/ Always quote someone else because it’s so hard to come up with your own meaningless statements. And there is always the vain chance of someone considering you intelligent by proxy if the quote is actually relevant.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:53am

“Boris Johnson's government is mounting the argument that the outbreak is now so far gone that it is actually desirable for people to get infected. And a lot of people – potentially up to 70 per cent of the country's population, or roughly 47 million.

A risky strategy? Very. At complete odds with the rest of the globe and the World Health Organisation? Definitely. Politically unpopular? Absolutely. But sensible? Quite possibly.

Britain's approach has three core elements: enact social distancing measures much more slowly than other countries; shield at-risk groups like the elderly and sick from contact with the general population; and then let COVID-19 slowly sweep through everybody else.

The latter approach is called "herd immunity" – a phrase likely to enter the lexicon shortly in the same way as "flatten the curve". Herd immunity describes a scenario where so many people become resistant to a disease – either through vaccinations or exposure – that it becomes much harder for the virus to spread through the rest of the population. Mass immunity could effectively cause the virus to burn out over the course of one or two seasons, or buy time until a vaccine is developed and distributed”

And it is too far gone here too.
Why everyone is so desperate to follow Italy I don’t understand.
It’s a very fucking clever virus that needs a clever response.
Just for a minute, stop panicking and focusing on the 3%. Lock them away, shield them, and then let the 97% who feel not much at all, build immunity

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:47am

OK Gloria.

Have you been tested yet for the, what you calling it, Wu-Flu?

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:49am

Good ol' BoJo. The clown triumvirate is complete!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:59am

Herd immunity, anyone seen any data for this concerning Corona?

Anecdotally up to a 14% reinfection rate short term and absolutely no longer term stats WTF.

I agree with Blowin (again? I think thats x 2 now) more about the economy and super high risk strategy.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm

No .

I haven’t been tested. Why would I ?

I don’t understand the objective of getting tested. Line up for hours to confirm that you don’t have a virus ....well, you didn’t until you queued up in close quarters with 50 infected people.

I’m hanging close here. Cancelled nurses visits for the crew we are looking after. Trying to implore to my parents and my already health-compromised brother that the time to restrict exposure to other people is NOW. That there won’t be a siren or a Batman light shone into the sky indicating that the virus which could potentially harm them badly is present around them.

Everyone is in a good position to minimise contact if they choose to , but they’re typical Aussies who only head to shore after everyone else gets out of the water when the shark alarm sounds. Laudable in their hesitancy to panic irrationally, but also prone to underestimating the reality of a situation until it’s upon them.

Other than that I’m reallocating capital and trying to predict an unknowable future .

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:05pm

Shore dump healthy people get the virus and require high level medical care its just that the fatality rate is higher in older people thats before looking at the indigenous population.

When you overwhelmed the health services and normal straight forward life saving medical treatment is delayed what then?

Containment is to reduce the health care load, herd immunity will be brutal I don't see how that's in the best interest of a population.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:06pm

In all seriousness, and without untoward hyperventilation, I just got a post from a mate of a mate. She was on the same flight as Dutton. She got tested for COVID-19. She's got it. She also does a lot of work in Canberra.

Nothing to see here?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm

Potato blight in action.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:24pm

So why doesn't our top banana get tested?

The answer points to the substance, or rather the lack of, in the man.

Scotty from Marketing's empty PR politics.

The upcoming Liberal wet dream austerity budget is gonna be a blast!

How good is the lucky country when the luck runs out and we're being run by kunts?!

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:22pm

So while Aussies rush to the supermarkets to stock up on toilet paper and other essentials, the yanks according to news reports are rushing to gunshops. Maybe they're thinking a Magnum stops COVID-19. God Bless America.

And, in what can only be described as a new low, a woman with a Seeing Eye Dog had a pack of toilet paper stolen from her trolley while shopping in a supermarket.

My mother, many years ago, told me about my uncle and his time as a POW on the Burma Railroad. He was a small stocky build but his best mate was a big man about 6'4" in the old scale. Survival for both on the little food provided was difficult but my uncle still gave his mate part of his ration. Both survived and were lifelong mates, because they looked out for and looked after each other.

What the fuck has happened to us.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:45pm

"Shoredump and Indo, thinking that they know better than professors and chief scientific advisors who have devoted their lives to the study of infectious diseases."

How on earth did you come to that conclusion from my post?

My post are based on the what these people are saying, imho Australia is taking a perfect well balanced approach, while look at the UK response, a bit irresponsible, because the risk it could cause to overwhelme the health system

People need to be sensible but not go over the top, like im in the city today and see people driving in cars alone with face mask on, way over the top.

Its all about balance and common sense, if experts are to be believed a big slab of the pop will get it, the issue is more we don't want them getting it all at once and health system to be overwhelmed, much better to have a slow burn, and then in time herd immunity will build up which then helps control the virus and protect the most vulnerable.

Its just like the toilet paper thing, if people had used common sense, we wouldn't have this crazy fear of running out, buy two packs instead of one if you have that crazy fear and buy another when you are getting low if worried, but no people are at the supermarket before it opens rushing to buy it some every day like wtf? And then we do have a problem because normal people when get low or run out can't even buy it...just crazy

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:27pm

"Maybe they're thinking a Magnum stops COVID-19."
Well, Floridians do routinely have to be told that shooting at hurricanes is a bad idea...

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:28pm

"What the fuck has happened to us."

John Howard, Salty Dog. Our Thatcher and Reagan all contained in a little white dried dog turd.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:34pm

Balance, from NSW Health..

"If you are currently well, or if you have minor symptoms and have been tested for COVID-19 after arriving in Australia and your test result is negative, you can travel directly to your home or hotel by public transport, taxi or ride-share, or continue with onward flights. Remember that you must wear a surgical mask at all times while travelling to your home or hotel."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:36pm

Must be all the talk of letting it spread and building up a herd immunity.

Actually I meant to say something about this comment of yours -

“Personally this might appear crazy, but id rather just get it now and be in a position where latter if i travel and get it again im not affected or hit as hard (although not always fool proof)”

Don’t worry about anything or anyone else, it’s all about you, right? You’re presumably a youngish healthy fella so just let it spread so you can travel again.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm

Salty Dog.....Best not to forget that the culture you are referring to is now a minority within our nation.

When people whine about daring to ask immigrants to assimilate this is what they are actually talking about....they don’t want us to presume to ask new Australians to leave their dog eat dog cultures behind in the old country.

Not all cultures are equal.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:42pm

There is not a single person on Earth promoting the idea of letting the virus run rampant who believes there is even the slightest chance that they personally would suffer from anything more than a runny nose when they contract it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:55pm

@Andy

Ok that comment, ok fair enough.

If i got it I'd just stay home for two weeks, i work for myself alone outside most of the time so even straight after even if i still had it spread risk from me would be super low.

Id just personally rather just get it now and ideally build up some resistance, rather than get it when on holidays in indo or something.

But yeah i know building up resistance isn't a sure thing.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:01pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:05pm

If the borders had been shut to people- not trade - immediately a few weeks ago then there would be zero cases of virus in Australia.

Restaurants would be busy . The footy would be played . Work goes on as usual.

The airlines and tourism etc would be rooted just as much as they are anyway.

Instead we are getting the full serve just because Scummo folded to the lobbyists who only cared about the next day.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:13pm

But for how long Blowin? Years? It would eventually get here in the end, closing would be futile. We'd be in the same position once it did arrive.

Actually I take that last bit back because there may be a vaccine by then.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm

Fewer cases, sure, but not zero. You could close the borders to foreigners, but you can't prevent citizens from coming home. One fella coming back from China or Italy or wherever, infected but as yet asymptomatic, would be all it would have taken to import the virus regardless.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:28pm

Yep, you can’t contain it, the fabric of society deems that a fact, you have to learn to live with it. Anyone chugging on beers & durries and not taking a diet that is building their immune system right now is a danger to the community and those close to them.

The majority of cases show mild symptoms, or the carrier doesn’t even know they have it

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm

Salty Dog, best not talk with the village bigot. Though it definitely ain't catching.

Thank fuck. Otherwise Pauline and One Notion would be running this shitshow!

Then again...

All Asians, or those looking like Asians, or even those with squinty eyes (lay off the bongs, boys) would be quarantined in camps out in remote Aboriginal communities. Probably could get the blackfellas to run the lot too. (Could be a win win...nudge nudge wink wink).

Meanwhile Malcolm Roberts could use his vast scientific know-how to nut out a cure, perhaps after invading the Wuhan death clinic aided by ASIS, Rambo Hastie and Phosphorus Jim Molan in a Bond style operation?

Oi!!!! Can you feel it?

Australia! You're standing in it!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:36pm

Yep.

Reduce cases to basically zero. Whilst a vaccine might not be soon forthcoming we could devise a strategy and prepare ourselves. Increase our ability to cope with the hospitalisation of serious cases, arrange response teams.

It’s not like this is fantasy. Other countries are doing exactly that and they’re faring better economically. It’s a win win. Unfortunately our pollies are so captured by self interest that they capitulate to the greedy and stupid option immediately.

If you want a perfect example of just how entitled corporate Australia - who are really the one’s deciding our viral response strategy - has become through the last 15 years of Government-for -industry ( and fuck the people) , then observe that horrible V’Landys fucktard’s public self-disgrace with his demands that a profit-driven sporting administrations company should be the priority recipient of taxpayers cash as the nation starts its descent into depression.

On top of the billions they just fucking stole from the public for stadiums , convention centres and the ability to milk the most vulnerable in our society for dollars ( pokies for gambling addicts ).

And that’s why we aren’t approaching this thing sensibly like Singapore. Because the self interest of corpo fucks like V’Landys are dictating to the Prime Minister what Australia should do and then Scummo is colouring it in a way so that the electorate doesn’t riot even though his response is not in the population’s best interests.

There is no beating the virus , but we can manage it on our terms.

That’s your commonsense .

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:35pm

For those complaining that Scotty from marketing paradoxically hasn't been getting the message out there:

https://independentaustralia.net/life/life-display/morrison-leads-austra...

The advert at the bottom of the link is a must watch.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 1:52pm

Facto thinks it’s Rayyyyssiss to state that all cultures aren’t equal.

OK , Facto ....are you saying the culture of White Australia 200 years ago when it was acceptable to shoot a blackfella who stole your sheep, is equal to the culture of white Australia now ,which puts indigenous heritage on a pedestal ?

What’s that you say ? That you’re not able to disseminate an answer to that because you haven’t had your response expressly dictated to you by a fake left magazine article.

Cultures aren’t equal.

Cant have it both ways . Can’t sit on here and write off the bogans and Queenslanders you hate without the same disenchantment being levelled at more “ vibrant “ societies.

Flammable wives . Honour killings. Stoning homosexuals. Melamine in baby food.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:53pm

OK Gloria. All day, every day, monthly, yearly.

And the real Alan Jones isn't gay!?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You, though...

Closetted? More like a nuclear bigot bunker!

Gloria, I think they got your number...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:12pm

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:22pm

Thank fuck at least the unhealthy and unhygienic finally get the wake up call they needed. Drag us all into their mess on the way unfortunately

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:24pm

Haha gold!

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:32pm

Yes, as I said, a must watch.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:49pm

Thanks for sharing the 'Honest Govt Ads' - Pupkin /AndyM.
Laughed at these parodies until our Govt released them as the real Honest Govt Ads.
& not one person noticed the difference...We're fucked aren't we!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:56pm

They're on target.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 2:58pm

For quarter of a century at least, TBB.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 3:33pm

Like I said, you’re doing it wrong, this clumsy haphazard attempt will not work, as unpopular as that makes me here.
We need to find a better way, or to be precise, we need to acknowledge it is here. Cats already out of the bag I’m afraid

“ The networking group Business for Doctors said at the weekend it was the "almost unanimous" opinion of their 27,500 members that Australians were unprepared for a disaster that had already arrived and it was too late to stop the spread of coronavirus.

The group's founder, April Armstrong, a Western Australian GP, said that 10 days ago it took just 48 hours for virus test results to be returned but the time had since spun out to a week.

"Doctors are putting family in isolation now," Dr Armstrong said. "We are taking our children out of school now. We're telling all our family and friends to stay at home and the reason we're telling them to stay at home is that trajectory [of COVID-19 cases] is going to be really steep."

In a widely distributed Facebook post, she advised her friends and family to teach their loved ones to wash their hands correctly, stand 1½ metres away from other people in public, help the elderly to self-isolate and keep children home from school on Monday and Tuesday to account for the lag in reported cases.

"Go visit your parents and grandparents - for many of us it will be the last time we see them," she wrote. "We need to stay away for six months or more."

Medical Journal of Australia editor-in-chief Nick Talley called for the government to impose stricter social-distancing measures to slow the spread of the virus.

"It is very hard to see the curve flattening out with what we’re doing. It’s community transmission and it’s fairly widespread," Professor Talley said.”

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm

You just showed that 27500 doctors disagree with your opinion.

They say that the community needs to be locked down completely, as do I . They’re saying that the government hasn’t gone far enough and so they are personally recommending stricter isolation measures. Nearly 30000 doctors unanimously agree the virus spread needs to be slowed so that the country can prepare as well as possible.

What you say is unpopular because it’s wrong .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm

docs on abc using some very different 'language' now...

gov.'s totally underestimated this one, ....consciously or not...

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:01pm

This epidemiologist is not impressed with the idea of "Herd Immunity''regarding CoronaKarma Virus.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-bri...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm

Herd immunity in action

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm

shoredump we are listening & we need your voice of reason...

Pneumonia-2,600,000 / 800,000 (under/5yr)
Air Pollution Deaths -7,000,000 / yr
Climate Change - 60,000,000 / yr

Latest News
(Schools/Theme Parks / Cinemas / cafes) - o/s [No] vs Oz [yes]

Tomic in/out Yes/No

philosurphizing... Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:21pm

Best explanation of how the corona virus can affect you lungs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm

Climate change - 60,000,000 / year

Classic.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 5:08pm

If I had Virgin Australia frequent flyer points I would be going to their website and spending them on physical goods ASAP....not flights.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 5:27pm

Blowin, the time for total lockdown was in February, it’s not going to work cancelling a surf contest in March, but going to the club and drinking. That’s what I’ve been ridiculing, and agreeing with you. It was obvious in January that it would make it here. Like I said in the beginning, the only way it would work is to weld people shut in their homes. Impossible in this country. And then for how long, if it’s not a world wide response. No one seems to respect the ability of this thing to spread, that’s what I’m saying. It’s nice that you thought you could flatten the curve with a half arsed effort, but it’s all or nothing with this type of thing. The correct action now, as I’ve been saying, is to increase your immunity, get real about what’s coming, to truely understand it’s already here. You are doing the correct thing with your family in isolation, I hope they stay safe. I hope also that you take your immunity seriously, beer will increase the ease of spread, no joke, 40 beers ain’t funny, also, it’s going to kill you, not CV. Mate I’ve pretty much said I’ll go to war for you on this, which has been lost on you somehow.
It remains as cold like symptoms, or nothing, for people who have always taken their health and hygiene seriously, that’s what the stats say.
Listen to Slater, he knows what he’s talking about, he’s a smart man. 2020 is survival of the fittest, but so is every year

Preparation is king

and sugar is going to cut Blowins life short if he doesn’t snap out of it