Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 3:32pm

Quote from elsewhere...

“Insider gossip from the pathology industry: an Australian infected by Covid-19 about three months ago is now returning negative nasopharyngeal swabs, but is still shedding virus detectable by rectal swab. It may be that the faecal-oral route isn’t just a secondary mode of transmission, but actually the main problem. No wonder it spread so quickly in China, where hand hygiene is a dicey affair, especially among the less educated (and mon Dieu, have you seen what passes for public toilets in that country?).
I can think of at least two implications for public health in Australia; firstly, that the official advice is inadequate to the extent it focuses on the risk of respiratory transmission. Secondly, the testing program for the general public is primarily geared to collection with nasopharyngeal swabs, so we may be getting spurious “negative” results.“

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 3:35pm

It's already starting to take affect where I work - cancellation of functions = reduced hours for staff and of course it's the casuals who are hit first.
Wonder how sympathetic landlords are going to be when it comes to unpaid rent.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 3:39pm

I knew kissing was out but now rim jobs too, Blowin?

Damn

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 3:47pm

I should really tell a rim job joke in reply.....but I’m not a huge fan of tongue in cheek humour.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 4:00pm

Probably not a good idea accepting an Uber eats delivered with a left hand.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm

If you order a dominos pizza delivery you are given a social distancing option where they will put the pizza etc at your door then call you on the phone to let you know to come and get it.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 4:18pm

Who said no shitty jokes about it... they're as good of a laugh as we're gonna get!

Poo! You say...well that's a Bummer!
Cause the Shops are all out of Tootie Paper thanx to Aussie arseholes.

*Over 50 bowel scan is #2 admissible DNA tracer...Oz Govt have got your number!
Cross reference with their (My) Health Records...nuthin' suss!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 4:20pm

: )

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm

"In situations like this, without being dramatic...it's a matter of life and death," Ms Berejiklian said......

......as she did fuck all of any genuine effectiveness to arrest the spread of the virus. Schools are open.....herd immunity !

The fuckers just want everyone to hurry up and die or get back to consuming.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 5:49pm

Have a laugh if you dare (Teaser)

*Before Corona Virus I used to Cough to cover a Fart now I Fart to cover a Cough!

https://www.keeplaughingforever.com/post/top-10-corona-virus-jokes

https://starecat.com/content/wp-content/uploads/corona-beer-changes-thei...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 5:55pm
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 6:21pm

NRL are holding Australians to Ransom for $200m. (CEO: We are vital to Oz survival!)
Top Oz Child raping,Pissing,Shitting,Drug Dealing must continue thru the Pandemic.
Kiwi Team refuse to go home @ Kingscliff with silver spoons waiting for hand outs!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 6:32pm

Mr Morrison also said all cruise ships from foreign ports will not be allowed in Australia and all travellers arriving here will have to self isolate for 14 days.

He said 'social distancing' measures were required and needed to be introduced progressively.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 6:37pm

This is probably one of the best explainers I've seen about how the virus is past on

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-ac...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:10pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:11pm

This is probably one of the best explainers I've seen about how the virus is past on

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-51881555/coronavirus-do-face-masks-ac...

That makes no fuckking sense.

She says the virus can be transmitted via people sneezing and coughing.

So of course a face mask would protect you.

fucking hell. unbelievable.

the level of stupidity is staggering.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:15pm

"Logically, if you;'re not close to people and they're not coughing and sneezing on you you don't need a face mask"

Isn't that the exact scenario that happens in every big city, on public transport etc etc?

they fucking showed it on the video!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:17pm

"the virus transmits through the mucous membranes.....if we are inhaling droplets from someone who is sneezing or coughing"

So, a face mask is the most sensible way of preventing that.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:23pm

That's article is good news, because i wasn't going to bother wearing one of those face mask things on the plane to Indo, it would be so annoying wearing one for 6 hours or so, i hate wearing them even if sanding etc

Now i can at least feel better about not wearing one, and explain to the missus about this article, although im still certain she will wear one and get angry at me for not wearing one.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:27pm

This is a good read too about the spread/curve and how to flatten it (cant cut ad paste for some reason)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbc...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm

Freeride....the statement that face masks don’t work was made to protect the limited supply of masks. Of course they work . They’re not a get out of jail free card but there’s a reason that every doctor and health professional you’ve ever seen around the virus is wearing one.

You saw what happened to shit tickets. That would have been face masks if supply to the public hadn’t been restricted weeks ago.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:43pm

By wearing glasses / goggles and a face mask you have less of a chance of touching your virus entry points mouth / nose / eyes.

You will touch points infected people do almost certain in high volume areas.

P2 will stop droplets but debate how long they are good for.

ID wear a p2 mask, wife is right as they always are.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm

They would help, but i think it goes more against the thought that it will just be floating about or going through the A/C system.

So maybe if everyone has a mask on and you dont it wont matter anyway, if they sneeze or cough it will be in their mask.

I think it's just one of those things that you could just take it as it comes and access the situation as it happens, id probably put one on if the guy nearby didnt have one on and was coughing and sneezing, but if no one was coughing and sneezing and most people wearing them on a flight, then i wouldn't bother.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 8:07pm

Yeah I did pick up on the discrepancies in the message Freeride

Surface contamination seems to be the main culprit.

I'd have a couple at hand though in the plane. Virgin are saying they will have them available in cabin

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 9:22pm

The 500 Rule = (2hrs Static) exempts multi directional rapid spreading of virus.

*500 Static (Exempt-deemed essential) - Transit / Health / Education / Voting

*500 Non Static Ok > Shops / Malls / Kids Sports / Beach + Movies >2hrs)
Dare say it includes Hillsong reincarnations & Exorcisms.

*(500- Bans -Non essential Static) Sports / Noisy Gigs - crowds > + over 2hrs
Arena or Festival square (Banned) vs Tent Markets are essential if you buy shit!

*Kidz are silently Exempt : Weekend Sports is classed as 'Education' - Nippers Ok.
Background whispers, that herding of brats wards off a bigger viral outbreak

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 15 Mar 2020 at 11:07pm

ID how are you going to avoid touching your face?

Listen to the wife.

Another thought if you are visiting in laws or even people in remote areas and you pass on the virus you could potentially kill people who wont have access to ventilators / O2 etc.

Remember the elder die in higher numbers but lots of healthy people require hospital / ICU treatment.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 12:12am

Air Purifiers are cashing in but are borderline...(.3microns) vs .1 micron Corona?
Too close to call...All yer Money vs tiniest Bug sounds like a white trash problem!
tbb stumbled onto frontline battleground for purity. Earth's finest tech vs a bug!
No contest...crew can easily mop this lot up....Clapped out Air Purifier isle 4.
https://www.iqair.com/us/blog/press-releases/iqair-takes-action-against-...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/dont-buy-an-air-puri...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 7:25am

Scomo still dragging his feet when prioritising the population over lobbyists.

The reason the schools aren’t closing is.....University profitability.

If primary and high schools are shut then Universities will be forced to close also. So Scomo has had the lightbulb idea of blaming it on lack of care for the children of health workers. Uni students don’t require their parents if they stay home from school and there’s hundreds of thousands of them who could be taken out of the viral spread immediately.

Of course when health workers get sick from their children then they shouldn’t really / can’t attend to their jobs anyway. But Scomo is STOKED .....uni cash to the moon!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 7:03am

Put on your big boy pants and get ready for some real talk..

“Half a million dollars for a poorly built off the shelf cookie cutter house 2.5 hours from a city in a town with absolutely no employment in the middle of but-fark-no-where.

https://www.domain.com.au/45-campbell-street-yarram-vic-3971-2016144010

That property should not be more than $120k

This is where we are heading – fair value.“

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 8:24am

An aus research company thinks they have a cure...they plan to start human trials at the end of the month

They made the call and have gone public with the announcement pretty early...ballsy move

They are saying old malaria and HIV drugs kill it...in the lab

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 8:29am

I got a friend arriving back in Aus today...she was planning to get from Sydney to the north coast by train after getting off the plane

I told her last night I don't think you will be able to do that

What do I tell her to do...I can't think of any option but trying to catch another plane to Ballina or Coffs...anyone got any advice

I can't drive down and get her and she has no rels here...that's why she was os...visiting them

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 8:32am

I'm guessing they'll let her travel home and then from there self isolate. Ie catch the train?

Surely fits in the common sense category and she should just try and not to come into contact with the other passengers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 8:38am

No answers Balance, but I'm curious how authorities think self-isolation will work after punters leave the airport gate?

Yeah, yeah fines etc...but I'd assume most OS visitors arriving at the airport get cabs to their final destination, or if not they get trains.

So when does the self-isolation period begin and what happens to the cabbies and other users of public transport?

It's a leaky system.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:08am

Risky I concede, but I think this is the better response

Shield the elderly while building immunity

This isolation thing, are we going to do it every year it comes back, if indeed it does.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/herd-immunity-why-britain-is-actuall...

Pro-active not reactive

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:06am

Shoredump.....let me guess, you’ve got massive levels of debt and your personal financial position is parlous ?

Not just that , but you consider yourself and your immediate family healthy and of the correct demographic to survive. Sure , Nan may take one for the team but......finances !

I don’t think you seem to have much idea of what’s coming down the pipeline to be honest. You’re still hanging onto the #justaflubro concept for grim life and missing the BIG picture.

The economy is toast anyway. The system has been built on a razors edge of unsustainable practices and nonsensical fundamentals and that is all getting swept away as I type this. Give up on your fanciful dream of minimising economic fall out and focus on the important part of saving lives.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:13am

Self isolation was always a hoax.

Can you imagine landing in Bali and being required to self isolate ? How does that work ?

Queue up at immigration, walk through the duty free , haggle for a taxi , check in to your accommodation, let the porter grab your bags , nick down the circle K to get the stocks you’ll need ( another taxi ) , stroll the aisles , taxi back to your accommodation.

And NOW you’re ready to isolate !

Except you’ll get sick of Gojek delivered food ( infected cash transactions with driver ) and go to a restaurant because you feel OK....just a little cough !

By day three you are thinking “ Fuck this .” Surf is pumping and isolation is over..

Scummo is taking the piss and the media is giving him a free pass.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:31am

Not much debt mate, been working part time for a decade. It is a disease that’s going to kill a small percentage of people it infects. It’s not the zombie apocalypse. I think the response will filial the economy for a decade, but do little for the spread of CV.
And it’s not going to go away as easily as you think. You are going to have to accept that. If you support self isolation while it’s here now, then if it’s still floating around in a years time like I believe it will, then you support it then.
I’m not saying I think it’s an awesome addition to our world, I’m merely suggesting we are going to have to live with it. Self isolation for years is not the best solution.
When I talk finances I talk of money to care for the sick in the long term. This is not the only health crisis happening like you believe it is. There are more lives being lost elsewhere to bigger crisis.

Shield the elderly and build immunity.
Pro-active not reactive

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:29am

Where have I said that this is short term ?

But it’s better to buy time than just throw people under a bus to save an economic system which is on the verge of collapse anyway. You really think the virus is responsible for the majority of what is about to happen ?

The neoliberal system is a house of cards which was going to run into an immovable reality sooner or later....a war , natural catastrophe or a virus.

Anything could have been the catalyst. Shit is over .

Better to knock over the white anted structure as to keep living in it would have collapsed anyway.

Comparing an inescapable virus which is 120 days old to the avoidable health risks posed by a cumulative 50 years of excess sugar consumption is ridiculous. As is any of your other parallels.

Do you get TB walking through Sydney ? Can you catch diabetes on the train ride to work ? Humanity fought long and hard to minimise and overcome smallpox etc and now you’re saying that we should just let the virus kill many people just because you don’t want to be financially inconvenienced.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:33am

No I’m not saying that, I’m saying I think this is a better solution to save more lives. I believe this begins the process of immunity now.
It’s okay, we agree to disagree

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:44am

I like the way you say “ build immunity “ like it’s not a heartless Darwinian process involving the death of the weak .

You don’t appreciate the gravity of what’s coming and you don’t have a fucking clue about the existent state of the world the virus is impacting.

I don’t think it’s a zombie apocalypse. I think it’s a type of disease which will cause incredible pressure on an already struggling health system if allowed to run rampant through an underprepared community.

You seem to think that the direct deaths from the virus are the only numbers in the mortality equation. What about when the hospitals are literally unable to cope with another patient, what happens then to the other sick people you mention .....the car crash victims, the diabetes sufferers, the heart attacks ? They will die because they are unable to access basic health care . So now we have an unnecessary amount of deaths on top of the viral deaths.

Just let them all die too because.....immunity !

Sounds like you’re willing to overlook the deaths of thousands just because you :
A/ Assume that none of them will be yourself or your loved ones because you are looking at the existing 5500 death toll and really believe the whole thing is a beat up.

and

B/ Because you don’t think it’s genuine, you only give a fuck about your finances.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 9:51am

Shoredump....you should take everyone you care about and head off to a WUFLU isolation ward and breathe as deeply as possible.

Don’t wait....do it today. Start building your family’s immunity right away.

You’ve got nothing to be afraid of !

And then start spreading it around your neighbourhood. Gently explaining to those over 70 years old that there’s a good chance they’ll die a horrible and premature death , drowning in fluid filled lungs , but you know....we’ve got the economy to think of. So can’t they just understand that we’ve got to rip the band aid off as quickly as possible. Sure , you yourself won’t be troubled in the slightest ( so you assume) so they’ve got to get their heads around the fact that this is what’s best for everyone ( you ) .

The sooner the auctions ( based on servitude inducing mounds of debt) resume and the big screens are marching out of Harvey Norman’s the better.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 10:33am

A question for shoredump ; is the earth flat too?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 10:46am

Current measures are obviously all about balance and minimizing spread and risk.

Otherwise what do you do, shut down all flights and borders until there is a vaccine and tell everyone to stay home, don't go to work or school, don't even go anywhere until its over?

Obviously not realistic

In a sense you actually want some spread of the virus to build up heard immunity, its more about avoiding a huge influx in one hit.

Personally this might appear crazy, but id rather just get it now and be in a position where latter if i travel and get it again im not affected or hit as hard (although not always fool proof)

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 10:47am

It might be herd immunity you mean ID? Also something that takes a long time of Exposure to the virus, not something that happens overnight, particularly at the initial stages of contagion when nobody has ever has any exposure yet.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 10:55am

Not true at all.
The over 70s should be shielded, like I said.

Mike, ridiculous question, stay focussed mate

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:00am

Was interesting watching the Singaporean Prime Minister a few weeks ago when they were in the predicament we now face. He came across as genuine , decisive , capable , concerned and as a leader who was with his people as they confronted a shared crisis.

And then I watch Scummo flittering from one ill considered reactionary response to the next , all whilst barely concealing his contempt for the community and his utmost terror at losing absolute political power even if it comes at the expense of public trust in government.

Scummo’s refusal to test for the virus , after his exposure to the virulent tuber who doubles as our Borderfarce Kommandant , proves beyond a doubt that he would rather be the Typhoid Mary of modern Australia than cede power to a political rival.

As a result of the discrepancy between political leadership, Singapore has managed to greatly impede the spread of the disease despite greater population density, lifestyles more conducive to viral distribution and a role as a central hub of global transport.

Whilst Australia with its natural geographic protection is about to go nuclear on the spread of infection.....whilst still inflicting greater economic self harm than Singapore.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:16am

Shoredump and Indo, thinking that they know better than professors and chief scientific advisors who have devoted their lives to the study of infectious diseases.

Hopefully you fellas are just bored and out to stir some shit.

Yep Blowin, from what I hear, Singapore is in clear and frank communications with its citizens including via regular text messages.

This is in contrast to Oz, where not surprisingly, ol' Smoko is tying himself in knots and is showing very poor leadership skills, with that contempt for the public clearly evident.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:21am

Ok, thats a start. Just trying to work out your mental state after reading your above comments and general attitude POV

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Mar 2020 at 11:22am

During the bushfires the government managed to pump out a propaganda LNP TV advertising campaign in 24 hours.

Here we are a month into Australia’s infection with zero national cohesion or consensus, let alone a nationally coordinated campaign to educate the population on even the most fundamental pieces of information they would require going forward.

National hotlines ?

Generic medical advice relevant to the situation ?

Contact numbers for service providers ?

Service providers fullstop ?

A coordinated taskforce to provide for quarantined individuals ?

Public register of volunteers who can assist ?

Fucking crickets.....

This is what happens when the political class gets eroded into uselessness and replaced by corruption conduits wearing blue ties.