Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 2:15pm

Ask the Uighurs or the Tibetans how rewarding it is to be diverse Ape.

Yes, and have been to China- coupla times actually.

Even entertained the thought of opening up another branch of my little company in Shanghai. Didn't get past the consulting stage- the amount of control I would have had to relinquish didn't make it worth it, not to mention the cost of compliance.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 2:19pm

Yeah brickies will be around in 2030. They will just carry a laptop instead of a trowel.
Robots can build cars. I think they will be able to handle English Bond, lime mixes, and even some fancy Corbeling.
Brickies will be much faster, cleaner, and less stinky. Probably still have Utes filled with fast food wrappers though.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 2:32pm

Vic, yeah robots can build cars, but only in a very carefully controlled and sterile environment. Bricklaying, where every site and every day presents a different environment, is a different kettle of fish entirely. We're still a fair way away from pattern recognition & machine learning tech being able to deal with that, and even longer for it to trickle down from defense to civilian sectors.
I've no doubt it could be automated in time, but 2030 might be a tad optimistic.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 2:39pm

Mate, 2030 is a tad pessimistic. There's robot cow milkers. I'm tipping a big moving animal is a little more complex than stationary rectangular bricks, robotically speaking.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 2:42pm

It's not the brick vs the cow that's the key comparison, but the building site vs the milking shed.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 3:16pm

Pops, the cow milking robot, uses scanners on moving objects. I'm no robotics expert but a building site doesn't look that complex.
https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/news/aussie-bricklaying-rob...
And that's from 2 years ago.

Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm

"Ask the Uighurs" - been there, done that - heavy stuff for sure!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 4:49pm

Hey VL, how do you explain China’s outsourcing to North Korea. Is it because they are more technologically advanced? Probably more like there low paid slave labour are a bit more slavish than China.
And we haven’t even started on there continual theft of IP from other countries.

But hey it’s cause they’re way smarter eh’. Onceagain selling Australians short, you sure you’re not a politician.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm

Look up hadron brick laying machine. Far out VL you wouldn’t believe it.....West Australian invention. Just because you’re a dolt mate doesn’t mean the rest of us need China to lead us by the nose.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm

No robotic bricklayers. Vic Local performing a beautiful little demonstration of Dunning Kruger by broadcasting his utter lack of self awareness illustrated with his assumption that he knows the tech required to lay bricks .....and it’s easy !

The complexity in automated bricklaying doesn’t lie in the layout of the site , it is found in the technology required to maintain a static reference point in space as the boom arm required to lay the bricks across a large site is buffeted by the constantly changing wind and weather conditions.

Otherwise it’s basically a 3D printer in a real world application.

Unfortunately for Vic Local’s demonstration of the vulnerability of Australian manual labour to technology , not a single bricklayer has lost their job to automation to date.

It’s much more likely that modular building will bring forth the demise of the pedestrian bricklayer.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:06pm

BTW....I won’t really be bothering with the smear campaign about your kiddie fiddling activities, Vic Local. You seem determined enough to paint yourself as an irrational and somewhat dim weirdo . Saves me the time and effort.

Good job.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm

Soggy dog.....I made a couple of times the average yearly income on the antics at FBR ASX. Good times !

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 4:59pm

Vic, I'm just speaking from my experience studying in that field and working on similar problems. I could be way off the mark. And I'm not saying the tech can't be developed, or that what we already have isn't impressive, just that there are some difficulties that make me lean towards a more conservative estimate on when we'd see this happen.

The key hurdle I see is in pattern recognition, particularly relating to terrain. Your robot isn't going to have too much trouble recognising a brick (though it might take a good while for it to learn to not confuse other rectangular prism-ish shaped objects with bricks), but learning how to build a wall/structure in varying contexts (needing to recognise different surrounds/backdrops etc, in varying lighting levels), and learning how to recognise and traverse uneven and changing terrains are hard problems, and the r&d time and money plus capital outlay vs future cost savings don't make a lot of sense. More likely that the relevant tech will trickle down from the defense sector (see Boston Dynamics etc), but there'll be a decent timelag before such tech is made available to civilian sectors (basically, defense corps will want to wait until anything they develop is redundant for their purposes before letting anyone else have it).

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm

Yeah a couple of my mates got in early and made some good bucks on it too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:01pm

Hey ....what’s happened to VelocityJohnno ?

I miss that clever , good natured bastard.

He’s like the Torquay diametric opposite of Vic Local.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:02pm

"The complexity in automated bricklaying doesn’t lie in the layout of the site , it is found in the technology required to maintain a static reference point in space as the boom arm required to lay the bricks across a large site is buffeted by the constantly changing wind and weather conditions."

Depends on if we're talking a static/fixed or dynamic/mobile robot. For a fixed machine, yeah that's a big problem too, but again not insurmountable.

More problems on the legal/WHS side too (always are where there's a need for humans to work alongside automated machines).

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm

"It’s much more likely that modular building will bring forth the demise of the pedestrian bricklayer."

Yeah, that'd be my gut feeling... some of the buildings we've worked on recently are basically factory assembled in shipping-container sized bits in China then shipped over and stuck together like lego on site. Nightmare for services design.

Not sure that'd completely do away with traditional building methods, but it's gonna take an increasing market share.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:05pm

And yeah, haven't seen VJ post for a while. Hope he's alright.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:11pm

soggydog,
Inventing bricklaying machines is precisely the type of economic development the country needs. But do you seriously think this is entirely a WA development? I'm tipping plenty of the components aren't made in Australia, including the truck. Also the pointy end of the science behind this robot is highly unlikely to come from a purely domestic source. The company is doing deals in Mexico, Saudi Arabia etc. That's globalisation for you.
If Australia thinks it can go it alone, our economy will fall behind other nations. That's a reality the anti-China mob really need to understand.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm

Pops.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm

Why is this Vic Local clown still talking ?

Hey Vic - you fucking retard - show me a single post from a single contributor who suggests Australia shouldn’t trade with other nations.

That’s not globalisation, it’s called international trade and it’s been going on for thousands of years.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:30pm

VL,I’m not against international trade, I’m against the multi national corporate rape and pillage of our finite resources whilst labour laws are eroded and guys like you bleat that we are not smart enough or are not well enough resourced to make Australia better for all Australians.
Globalisation has lead to more problems than it has lead to solutions for most working people.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:32pm

You’re politics re globalisation as far as I see VL is a race to the bottom.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm

"retard"? Wow blowin, you stay classy.
A couple of days ago I said you were SWELLNET'S CHIEF RACIST BULLSHIT ARTIST because you claimed Australia has the highest per capita immigration regime in the world.
You could quite simply humiliate me and force a grovelling apology if you could back that statement up. So what happened blowin? Did you back it up with evidence? Noooooooo you went MIA.
Just like when you said 90% of international students were from China. Just like you said 50% of Australians were immigrants.
You are so full of shit blowin. You should be embarrassed about what you post, but the reality is, you're just like your hero Trump, utterly shameless.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 5:44pm

soggydog. I actually agree that globalising at the current point in time is a race to the bottom. Companies seek out the cheapest labor, the lowest tax rates, the weakest environmental laws, and they are perfectly happy to prop up dictators around the world. That's why globalisation as we know it, needs to be re-invented based around human rights, political rights, and environmental protection.
The scary thing is, the world's been taken over by big corporations and thug leaders. Racism and not knowing who the real enemy is, just plays into the hands of the scum. I think you and I would have a lot of common opinions. Have a look what Trump is doing. He is privately in bed with Xi, while publicly turning his racist fan club against China as a means to stay in power. Trump/ Hanson / Johnson etc are just on the other side of the coin of Xi and Putin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:19pm

Stay classy ? Mate , youve turned up guns blazing a few months ago and talked utter, irrelevant dung since day one .

Show me where Ive ever said that 90 percent of international students were Chinese. Total fabrication.

Australia has the second highest per capita immigration in the developed world ( unless you count the handful of high wealth individuals who moved to Liechtenstein) Just edged out by Canada.

The percentage of immigrants in Sydney and Melbourne are well over 50 percent. Probably more around the 60 percent mark. The national average is a third of all people in Australia were born elsewhere. Factor in the “ temporary” visa holders who have been here on average for three years and our overall population is over 40 percent immigrants.

These are the things I have said or not said. It is yourself who is a confused shit talking old man.

You struggle with the most basic of nuance and you’re a dreary burden on basically every conversation.....please just go away.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:21pm

Listen to this dung from a bloke who claims conspiracy theories are for the gullible and moronic .....

“ He is privately in bed with Xi, while publicly turning his racist fan club against China as a means to stay in power. “

“He is privately in bed with Xi “.....FFS

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:23pm

Every time ..

EVERY TIME a decent conversation gets a head of steam it’s derailed by the stupidest cunts on here. The clowns who think snide = smart.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:28pm

Actually VL is right on that one Blowin, John Bolton has revealed in his book Trump plead with China to assist in winning the 2020 election. Facts are facts and fictions fiction( the Liars-Mess on a mission. Great song)

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:30pm

Thanks soggydog,
Do try and keep up blowin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:41pm

Classic.

I knew our resident retard was quoting from the book of fiction written by Bolton to cash in on Trump derangement syndrome. The same Bolton who declined to rat on Trump under oath during the impeachment hoax even after he was begged to do so.

It seems lying is a lot more tempting when the reward is book sales instead of a criminal perjury charge.

Do try to keep up ? Vic Local......Another silly old man on Swellnet who’s cognitive decline is being worn as a flag of honour,

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:45pm

Anyway....when Vic Local and Fagto chime in its time to up anchor and go elsewhere.

The good times , sensible discussion and pleasant company are replaced by fools who define themselves through opposition and approximate glory to anyone who isn’t stupid enough to think that woke is the highest form of intelligence.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:48pm

Would you really put something like that past Trump? And his talk of more than 2 terms?
Given his track record I wouldn’t.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm

Has Trump said something about more than two terms or is it pulled from the Bolton mixed tape of profitable fantasy ?

Perhaps the worst bit is that Vic Local hasn’t published two consecutive comments without using the word “ grifter “ multiple times , yet here he is , faced with the definitive example of grifting - the classic , unsubstantiated post-political career slag fest for dollars and he doesn’t even recognise it for what it is.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:52pm

Blowin, I see you're on the right wing conspiracy train again. Of course Boltons book is false (according to the wisdom of Blowin) it doesn't fit with your opinion.

You would think impeachment was a hoax too, despite it being well grounded and based in fact. You are incredibly attached to Trump aren't you?

Excellent examples of how you completely abandon facts when they conflict with your world view.

If you don't like a news article - fake news. Don't like what an expert has written - liar.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 6:56pm

Bit rich for you to bang on about unsubstantiated posts isn't it blowin?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:00pm

JQ....thing is mate , it’s Bolton’s book which is the conspiracy theory here.

Unproven scandal....check

Unverifiable claims against authority....check

Profit motive....check

Confirms previously held , though completely untested , opinions.....check

If you want to swallow it whole , fine. Please don’t start on the finger pointing at the gullible whilst doing so. It’s undignified.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:00pm

Shall I hold my breath waiting for your evidence of Boltons book being false?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:04pm

Yep, he has Blowin. And not just in Bolton’s book.
Mentioned that maybe supporters would “demand “ another term. He’s says it was a joke, but with his track record of unsubstantiated bullshit, who’d know?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm

You have of course read it before passing judgement haven't you? You wouldn't leap to UNSUBSTANTIATED conclusions like that? Gee, I mean, that would make you quite the hypocrite wouldn't it now?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:03pm

Careful soggydog, you're saying things that conflict with Blowins world view, you're probably fake news, or a liar, or hell - why not both?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm

No.

I don’t want to talk about Bolton’s book. I’ve got no intention of ever reading it. Just appears to be another cookie cutter, unit shifting exercise in unsubstantiated political slagging. Same as every other post career political book .

Only this one is cashing in on the established demographic of Trump derangement sufferers and is written by a strange , unappealingly mustachioed old cunt who got booted after trying his hardest to create an opportunity to drop bombs on innocent Iranians despite looking like he’d stain his undies at the idea of actually going toe to toe with anyone be they man , woman or child.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm

I'll bet you've got no intention of reading it - you wouldn't agree with it. Yet I doubt this will stop you opining on it and passing sweeping judgements with no factual basis - hasn't even been released yet, but you know it's false already!

I guess we'll just leave it as another unsubstantiated claim of yours, at least it won't be lonely hey.

Really is a comfortable alternate reality you live in isn't it - where facts are rubbery and you can sift and pick and choose until you find some you like.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:21pm

Mate.....you haven’t read it either yet you’re claiming it’s indubitably true.

What’s the difference ?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:22pm

I completely agree with your character assessment of John Bolton but when numerous people are running out of the building yelling fire are you going to wait till you see the flames.
He’s not the only former staffer critical of Trump. Or are they all full of shit. Trumps lies have been quantified and they are numerous as a counter point.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm

Am I claiming it's true? I must've had a stroke - I'm pretty sure I've said no such thing. Feel free to direct me to where I have though.

It would be idiotic and dishonest in the extreme to make claims with any certainty about it's truthfulness.

I'd say there are only 2 people who know for sure. Trump and Bolton, this is if Trump is still capable of identifying the truth.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:31pm

Soggy dog.....I’m not talking up Trump or claiming he’s faultless , I’m just saying that a bloke who got the arse is selling books bagging the current soap stars of US politics and that it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine that some - if not all - of the juicy selling points being breathlessly quoted by said soap star’s adversaries are either complete falsehoods , or so far distorted from the original facts that they may as well be written by the Brothers Grimm.

None of this is based on anything more than the insight provided by a constant stream of such pulp fiction masterpieces cascading from the realm of political biography for the past two thousand years.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:37pm

And yet you are certain enough, Blowin, to claim impeachment to be a 'hoax'.

Love to hear your 'evidence' for this one.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:38pm

If you can teach those robots to clean their mortar off my scaffolding then I'll consider hiring a few when they hit the shelves :)

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 18 Jun 2020 at 7:39pm

Watching the footy blowin. All the players are taking a knee. Man that must cut you deep.