Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 10:51am

Geez Blowin, you make up my arguments to shoot them down, and now you're making up Hanson's argument to say she was right.
Hanson in 1996 was nothing more than a racist bogan with zero understanding of geo-politics, international trade, IP etc etc.
She thought "Australia was being swamped by Asians (at the time mainly from Vietnam)" and "She didn't like it". That was her argument. There's was no grand narrative coming from the fish and chip imbecile. Trying to tie the current virus situation to her 1990s opinions is a massive stretch, even for you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 10:52am

OK , I’ll concede that it was a stretch to say that Hanson was specifically casting China as the villain twenty years ago , but it’s undoubted that she was warning of the threat years before those in parliament we trust to safeguard our democracy .

It’s a shame she did in some ways as it’s allowed those opposed to discussing the problem objectively to immediately diminish the dialogue with the catch all slur of Hansonism. Politics will portray extremes whether we want it to or not . The fact that Pauline condemned China simultaneously brought forward the topic and held it back.

The fact that there wasn’t a more conventional politician to take up the issue in lieu of Hanson is accounted by the shallow pool of which major party politicians are created.

There was nary a peep from most of them until the Wuflu. Now it’s a virtual consensus. Hanson may have come to the conclusion from an different direction but she

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 10:56am

What about in 2015 when she was warning against the Chinese purchase of Australian agricultural land and infrastructure which has now indisputably been revealed as a huge mistake ?

Give credit where it’s due.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:04am

With Hanson, I think it's a case of "even a stopped clock...".

But at the same time, categorising anyone who questions immigration levels or foreign influence on Australian government as xenophobic, racist or Hansonist is lazy and a serious case of false equivalence.

oceans11's picture
oceans11's picture
oceans11 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:28am

Watched a doco. on Mao's rule recently and was stunned at the brutal directives given by Mao to young Communist party brainwashed loyalists.
Mao ordered the students to bash, mame and or murder the elderly including parents, grand parents, academics and other non believers of this fast growing new regime, which we now know as the CCP.
Many millions of Chinese ( moderates) lost their lives for no reason
THIS WAS 1950 !!!!!!!!
Fast forward to 1989, TIANANMEN SQUARE
About a million Chinese protest against the CCP for moderation of their political system. The CCP respond by sending in the army with 250,000 troops, tanks etc to exact their brutality against Chinese moderates.Thousands of Chinese students were extinguished and thousands were jailed for many years.
THIS WAS 1989!!!!!!
20019, we have all witnessed the brutality of the CCP on our T. V.s in HONG KONG.
Once again the brutality dished out on Chinese students and respected Chinese academics and business people was laid out for the world to see.Many died and many have been jailed.
THIS WAS 2019 and is 2020.
What does this say about the CCP when they wipe out their own people?
What does it mean for the rest of the world when they openly state they are seeking to be a world power?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:32am

Andy....yourself and Stu are right about Hanson being almost coincidentally correct about China. I’ve got to be careful not to harp on about her beyond throwing contrast against the mainstream political position as I don’t really agree with her on many topics. I was never a supporter beyond the protest vote angle.

She is a liberal at heart and her voting does often work against the working class. Definitely not in terms of immigration though. She is still light years ahead in that regard.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:33am

Amazing stuff, Oceans11.

LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:44am

Stop the asian
invasion. hanson was on it and they dont like it
check it
all
https://australian-news.net/?s=hanson
good link this. thanks blowin
still wouldnt fuck her tho haha

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:49am

Hopefully you're trolling mate.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 11:52am

"What about in 2015 when she was warning against the Chinese purchase of Australian agricultural land and infrastructure" yeah but not long after that, her own party was caught red handed trying to take coin from the NRA in exchange for lobbying Australian gun law reform, lol

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:20pm

What’s that got to do with anything ?

If being caught engaging in corruption or abandoning principles for money was justification for ignoring the contributions of a political party , then the ALP and LNP would have been forcibly disbanded decades ago.

Christ , you want me to start naming the scandals involving the major parties ?

Have you got a few days free ?

It’d be a convenient way to reset the political landscape and remove the embedded corruption in our system if your ad hominem attack on the parties was legally enforceable. I side with you there.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:21pm

Two points

Oceans you left out how China fucked over Tibet and how Chinese muslims are enslaved in "reeducation camps".

Indo, Dandy Markets are on today, WTF are you doing wasting time online you need to be where your lustful heart is!

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:38pm

"Stop the asian invasion."
Fuck off Localist you racist arsehole.
You're the type of wanker who ends up in ER refusing to get treated by the multitude of Aussie medical staff with Asian heritage.
Go back to stormfront you bigoted flog.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:48pm

@ blow in. Well you're kind of presenting her as this beacon against foreign interference in domestic politics and there she is, right in there with the rest of them. Well, her party anyway, but I'd eat my hat if she didn't know what was going on, geez there was only three of them...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:47pm

VL you need to take a break from swellnet I think mate.
How can one comment obviously written by a brain dead, inbred, moron get you SO worked up?
You can tell just from his last sentence he’s missing most of his brain cells.
You don’t have to be the resident swellnet cop all the time
Let it go.
The first words I saw when I logged on were fuck, arsehole, wanker...
get outside and enjoy the sunshine

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:55pm

"the Chinese purchase of Australian agricultural land and infrastructure which has now indisputably been revealed as a huge mistake".
How the fuck would you know Blowin?
You have zero idea whether the deals are good for Australia or not. You don't know the purchase price or revenue from any property. Australian farmers could have sold land at vastly over-inflated pries. I'm sick of you insinuating all Aussie farmers are dumb fuckers who get taken advantage of.
We get it, you don't like Chinese people. You bang on endlessly about a Chinese takeover of Australia while conveniently ignoring the fact it's British interests who own more agricultural land in Australia.
And when some dodgy Caribbean company purchased 2 millions hectares of Australian land last year, there's dead silence from you. Wrong colour investors eh? But you're not a racist right!!!!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:51pm

Terminal, if I’m portraying Pauline as a beacon then I apologise for misrepresenting myself. I’m just remarking that there is now political consensus on an issue she’s been attacked for up till now.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:54pm

Fair point goofy foot. Just having some fun on my lunch break. Back to work now.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:07pm

Don’t hurry back. Trying to stay civil.

“ Fun “ like that would find you waking up on the floor with a crowd of concerned onlookers staring down at you in most parts of Australia.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:58pm

No VL , you don’t get it.

I’ve got no opinion on Chinese people.

The idea that a foreign nation with patently unfriendly motivation towards Australia also owns vast tracts of our land is a bad thing irrespective of the price in fiat currency they paid.

Sovereignty is priceless.

And please , please stop with your whole “ wrong colour “ bullshit. I don’t think any foreigner should be able to own Australian real estate or systematically important infrastructure.

The big difference between a British purchase and a Chinese purchase of Australian real estate is that unlike the British , the Chinese state retains all rights over the purchase. It’s a literal secession of territory to a foreign state.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 12:59pm

"It’s a literal succession of territory to a foreign state."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
That's literally the most batshit crazy thing you've ever said.
I hope the delivery drivers remember to take their passports to work.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:01pm

@blowin. Unfortunately there doesn't really seem to be any party to vote for in Australia, only against. I've found myself for a while now, voting from bottom to top and whichever party is the least, least favourite getting the primary... I think voter fatigue is an issue in Aus.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:08pm

Yeah , Terminal. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:13pm

OK , Vic Local.

You tell me what the reaction from China would be if Australia declared that they intended to start taking repossession of any of the Chinese owned properties .

There’d be Chinese warships on their way in a heartbeat. They’re trying to impoverish our country through trade blockade just because we dare ask the unremarkable question of how the Wuflu started.

Guaranteed they would act like the US when United fruit had their land renationalised in South America. At the very least.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:29pm

Glad you brought up the U.S.

Some say that Whitlam's talk of "buying back the farm" and also wanting more sovereignty over places like Pine Gap (which were/are essentially U.S. soil) were the catalyst for CIA intervention leading to his dismissal.

Dunno if China has that much internal clout and connections (highly doubt it) but there'd be an almighty reaction.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 1:46pm

Andy ....I fully realise that the US considers us a tributary state of sorts . I understand that neoliberalism was forced on us. Sure , some took to it naturally as it was advantageous to their greed , but for the most part Australians were subject to the forced imposition of this American ideology unknowingly if not unwillingly.

I accept this fact because the US is our protector. The alternative is worse. Neoliberalism is awful but totalitarianism is untenable.

The US is happy to colonise our political and corporate landscape, this is bad enough, though nothing when contrasted with the Chinese desire to colonise us with their people so we become alienated in our own lands . Dispossessed like the First Nations only with far less chance of a late blooming morality over the circumstances inflicted on the original inhabitants.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 2:04pm

I'd prefer the U.S. to China for sure but I'd also prefer an autonomous country.
And I'd also prefer a better version of democracy where decisions aren't made behind closed doors and then foisted upon us and the whole thing disguised as us the people having a choice.

Indo can have that one.

Naive I know.

LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 2:07pm

wake up australia. blowin is right.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8244031/Pauline-Hanson-says-war...
you kooks are fucked. need to go for surf or fish if you even do

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 2:24pm

Wow everything she has said there in that video from 97 is almost word for word what i see posted here all the time.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 3:01pm

Geez, you’d have to be trying pretty hard to not get a few decent waves or fish this time of year.

I think I might have missed the day of days on Monday when I had minding duties and painted some walls whilst others got tubed off their dials .

On the water at dawn Wednesday for a longtail tuna / spotty mackerel combo - bitten off by what was probably a wahoo in 22 degree water - then had the blissful surf into the arv.

Thursday went from dredging close outs to delightful blue tubes over a couple of hours of incoming tide .

Yesterday was a solo session at a turbulent right semi-point then an uncrowded romp at another point.

Today was up for grabs but seeing it was the weekend I’ll let the punters get their fill- those who are still working ! - and slot in another care session/ painting detail.

Quick breaks for internet squabbling of course.

Getting some waves or fish , Localist ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 4:41pm

I haven’t been able to get a cast in due to the swell, surfing brains out.
Checked a local point other morning and there was a huge pelagic throwing massive rooster tails all over the lineup.
Spoke to a bloke later he said it was a massive Spaniard.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 4:51pm

Freeride.....would you hold any concerns eating a decent sized Spaniard over here with the ciguatera risk or not an issue you reckon ?

Good waves around you ? Crowds ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 6:27pm

It’s definitely an issue, especially for big fish. Would I eat one, yes.
But probably a tiny portion at first then wait a day.

Waves, insane. Crowds, off the hook.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 6:50pm

There was a case of ciguatera poisoning at Hat Head last year, ended up quite a group were crook from eating the one fish. I think the story was that it was 20+kg, so might just be a problem with the bigger fish.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 6:55pm

pretty sure the pros can't sell any fish bigger than 10kg.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 6:56pm

never been able to determine if ciguatera is dose dependent, but you'd think it would be.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 7:11pm

I think it’s dose dependant and cumulative over your lifetime.

Not something I want a taste of really. Shame , Spaniards have a special place in my heart. Not easily caught and released either.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 8:20pm

nasty business. no treatment, no antidote. weird symptoms that can last for years or a lifetime.
I got an uncle who got it in NQLD...he/s now allergic to meat proteins.
weird allergies are common symptom.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 2:38am

Was talking to the skipper on the transfer out to cloudbreak a couple
of years ago about whether they get sick from Spaniards. He reckons if you fillet deep and leave a good margin of flesh when you skin it, you’re less risk. He seemed to think the toxins are more concentrated closer to the skin. Obviously no scientific fact in the theory...

Edit: actually I think it might have been t’other way round. He actually said to stay away from the bones/ spine. Sorry for the bum steer

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 10:04pm

@Kaiser, yeah there may or may not be something to that, re the skippers comments. 2 mins search of scholar found these below, I suspect there's probably a lot of work done on this..

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=fish+muscle+toxi...

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=fish+muscle+toxi...

The second link is really interesting, highly significant (p < 0.001) difference in tissue toxicity between dark and white muscles for a commercially important species.

I'd hazard a guess that differences in tissue toxicity may be species-specific, I.e., don't recommend using the results of a yellowfin study to guide the consumption of Spaniards.

Just as an afterthought, I find it interesting that the product of our disregard for the environment in this instance might well be the thing that protects it from us...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 16 May 2020 at 10:52pm

You guys ever watch this?

https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/whats-the-catch

From memory his big thing was the smaller the fish the healthier and more sustainable it is. The way they feed and produce prawns in Asia will make your stomach churn.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 5:14pm

Anyone have an opinion on this : https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/how-huxleys-x-club-created-nature...

Referring to the science influenced by the non- quantifiable abstractions such as music and spirituality and the intersections between such ethereal concepts and hard science.

Anyone out there got anything ? I know there’s a few smart cookies lurking around the site.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 5:37pm

Blowin you really need to lay off the far right wing conspiracy sites. Just because it uses a lot of big words doesn't mean this shite has any credibility at all.
PS You remind me of Otto from A Fish Called Wanda.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 6:16pm

You certainly end up down some deep rabbit-holes for someone who claims to not use the internet much. I feel like I got a free ASIO personal assistant watching what other sites I'm visiting after following your link to that Australian news.net website...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 6:20pm

Terminal. I've got to stop clicking Blowin's links, or at least do them in private browsing mode. Only a matter of time until I get someone trying to sell me military grade weapons using bitcoin.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 6:20pm

So no opinion on the intersection of science and the less tangible qualities of our planet then ?

Vic ....don’t bother replying to anything I post mate , I get my fill of the Vic Local perspective when I check my stool for blood in the morning. Don’t need any more of that in my life.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 7:25pm

What do you want me to do Otto/Blowin? Take your nonsense seriously? There's a reason why that site you linked has been kicked off Twitter.
Debating your topics is the online equivalent of going to a Covidiot protest and having a discussion with the tin foil hat brigade about 5G and Bill Gates.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 8:34pm

Twitter....lol.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 8:52pm

Exactly Blowin. Twitter is a shitshow so you need to do something pretty extreme to get kicked off, like name a scientist who could have been (but wasn't) involved in producing Covid 19, put up his photo and address. But you think that site is worthy of a discussion. You're a clown.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 May 2020 at 9:19pm

Who’s discussing the site ?

I’m asking if anyone has an opinion on the intersection of science and the abstract . I’m interested in hearing about science that includes the known but unquantifiable factors which exist.

There was a reference to creative science in the article which I’m hoping isn’t aligned with the intelligent design theories of organised religion. Surely there’s a breed of scientist which recognises the near universal human experience of spirituality and has attempted to interpret this intrinsic component of humanity using empirical science ?

Even questions of the interrelationships between species beyond the physical. Why do dogs love humans for example ? That goes way beyond admiration of a provider . What is a soul ? Why do ocean waves energise people ?

I’m asking if anyone is aware of science which approaches the world holistically without simply rendering it into ever smaller units with no explanation as to an overarching purpose to the entire exercise. Some combination of modern science, philosophy and spirituality I suppose.

Nothing you’d be interested in, Vic Local. No name calling involved. If you want to engage in insults I can come down Victoria and we can do it in person if you’d like. Up until that point just shut your lips.