Have it cunts

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 4:54pm

Sadly not all seem sane...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 4:59pm

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you."

- George Carlin, I think.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:02pm

Fair cop. Matthew ch 7 I think you'll find.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:02pm

Whoops. Bit mixed up there. Carry on...

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:05pm

And yes, I do see the irony from your point of view in me questioning others' sanity.
As you were.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:10pm

Well there you go Facto i was wrong.

It did add up if theory that your facto profile had been deactivated as would have given you some kind of reason to start a new one.

But there doesn't seem any logical reason to start a new one other than to try to deceive people that you were someone else.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:13pm

(one last thing before I log off for the night facto - I rather do I think I checked whether the paint was wet, to extend your metaphor, and indeed it was).

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 5:29pm

Humour at work.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 7:13pm

Footage of the 1979 Pipe Masters final.

L. Blair gets his second trophy, while T. Carroll has his first attempt at that snap (he'd try it again in the '84 Masters and perfect it in '91).

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 7:38pm

How was the interference at 14.20?
MR in the middle, TC paddling looking at pipe and Dane at backdoor just pushes him out of the way haha.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 7:44pm

Anything goes, eh?

TC sure didn't defer to the Hawaiian greats.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 7:51pm

Wow that was fun in a time warpy kinda way.
Everyone was so young, all wishing someone would invent a tri-fin.
And how's the ads......"People!!!!"

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 8:13pm

Yep that's a piece of history.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 6:15am

Repost from elsewhere ‘

“It’s not just visas. Australia is broken. Sucked dry by four decades of phony neo-liberalism and easy-money touts.

The sense of individual self-entitlement in this country is beyond belief.

We have sold our own country down the river to avoid the individual taxation burden of funding universities and TAFEs, training our own people, supporting a manufacturing sector, providing affordable housing, a clean environment.

And to what end ? What is this magnificent pot of gold at the end of the rainbow we have been chasing for four decades ?

Reliance on a thuggish Chinese dictatorship ?

Reliance on a never ending, ever growing stream of pretend-skilled immigrants to prop up a failed services business model and a property-credit ponzi ?

So that we can buy $5 pizzas and eat Korean fried chicken ?

So that we can commit two salaries to buying an overpriced house on a smaller lot in increasingly dense cities ?

That’s our prize for taking it up the rear for four decades ?“

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:33am

Where was that from, Blowin?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:37am

Says it all

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:28am

Yep in a nutshell.
Well said .
And the tech that we thought would give us freedom is now enslaving us . Ah the irony .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:53am

Its a load of BS

Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies that will help us get through this, we have had 28 years of economic growth, every single one of us has benefitted from this.

Like it or not China has been a big factor in this growth, have we been too reliant on China though?...yeah for sure.

Will any future governments starting spreading the eggs out?...100%

But to whinge about the success of Australia is just bullshit, apart from our economical success we have one of highest standards of living in the world and aspects like gaps between the rich and poor etc low on a world scale.

We have high real-estate prices because of our very long length of economical prosperity because of our success, quite simple they have been building and building with no set backs like seen in other countries during the global financial crisis etc,

No body knows how things might have been if an alternate journey had been taken, but off course in many naive minds, it would have always been better, likelihood of that being true is low, reality is you don't know how good you have it, so FFS stop your whinging.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:56am

Smoky BBQ or Sweet Chilli?

Edit. Indo deleted “sauces”, so now me darn comment don’t make no sense

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:06am

Well blowin I dont think youre out burst is in the right context in
this Larry Blair winning pipe video. Which was really entertaining.
All I got to say is Dane IMO was the best surfer from Hawaii not to
win a world title. Larry without doubt won pipe there.
I was watching from the beach at Wanda when Dane was totally
ripped off in the final against Rabbit it was so obvious the ozzie
crowd booed the result.
I always wondered if it was because of the thuggery at the time
from the Hawaiians. Funny thing I found them to be really nice.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:08am

I’m conflicted about which analogy to use. The dog flying out of its kennel wildly barking at the end of its chain all slobber and teeth or the kingfish swallowing the bait and running off 200 metres of line in a nano second? Either way he’s off the 1/2 strength chai lattes again!

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:12am

smokey bbq every time for me

also, thought this is quite interesting

THE GASH EXHIBITION - 7BLADES from GASH on Vimeo.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:22am

Would fucking hate to live in a country where we have no say , where we have no freedoms , where we are enslaved to corrupt government where our basic human rights are challenged and taken away . Yeah lie down go to sleep and one day wake up in prison . No thanks . We used to be a democracy but it’s all going down the gurgler and still heads are in the sand .
Ignorance is bliss apparently

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:43am

I saw it, GF.

Had me a chuckle...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:44am

@synchrodogcal

RE 7 Blades, Interview with Simon Buttonshaw is in the works. Hopefully post it today.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 10:39am

ah nice one stu

that vid takes me back to my first ever custom board, which was a greg brown when he was still at watercooled

Fraser G's picture
Fraser G's picture
Fraser G Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:59am

Always found it strange how Larry Blair's pipe wins don't get much kudos with the mainstream surfing media.Thats the first time ever seeing any footage of one of his wins.His Coke win at North Steyne footage is gold.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 2:38pm

Crikey, Blowie, I agree with you.

Well, the first four paragraphs.

We're slowly getting there, buddy.

It's a long game.

The pedagogical experiment continues...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 12:08pm

Larry Blair was good in The Young Doctors too.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 12:55pm

Indo -

"Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies that will help us get through this, we have had 28 years of economic growth, every single one of us has benefitted from this."

What do you base this on Indo?

I'm calling total bullshit.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 1:17pm

First of all, the Australian economy is struggling, with consumer spending the weakest in ten years, business investment shrinking, and economic growth too weak to cover population growth.
A U.S. federal reserve bank stated that growth has been so weak in Australia that if we didn't have record levels of immigration we would have had 3 recessions in the last 28 years.

Australia's household debt to GDP ration is the highest of comparable countries and according to the Australian Financial Review, our property is the world's most expensive.

And in addition, wages are stagnant.

The major causes of the slowdown in wage growth cited by both the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) and Treasury include the "presence of excess capacity in the labour market" (demonstrated by stubbornly high rates of underemployment); a steady decline in inflation and a decline in the terms of trade since the end of the mining boom.

And you say we're benefitting from this??

Sorry mate, you're massively incorrect.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 1:21pm

And in case it wasn't clear, the casualisation of the work force in addition to huge numbers of temporary visa holders is doing Joe Average no favours whatsoever.

These are the conscious tactics of globalised neoliberalism and you don't need to rely just on Macrobusiness to point this out.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 2:23pm

I am still singing "Golden Brown" geezas how good was that, The Stranglers haven't thought about them for years.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 4:21pm

@Andy

"Indo -

"Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies that will help us get through this, we have had 28 years of economic growth, every single one of us has benefitted from this."

What do you base this on Indo?

I'm calling total bullshit."

Okay you got me, i said 28 years its actually technically 29 years, and obviously in good times most people benefit, opposed to a recession (unless you are a debt collector or a bottle shop owner)

Yes our economy had already slowed down, nothing last forever, 29 years is an amazing run, but even with our slowed economy we are better positioned than most countries in the top range not the bottom range.

Here is an article along the same lines, I'm sure you wont like the source, i also heard an economist on ABC radio about two weeks ago saying exactly the same thing. (which was more where my line of thinking was got from)

"Australia in a stronger position than any other nation, says economist"

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/coronavirus-australia-in-stron...

BTW. obviously we all understand from here on in we will get hit by a recession as you would expect most of the world will, but reality is we are positioned better than most countries are, even aspects like last year not adding to our debt has positioned us in a better position to deal with this and spend money where needed. (even if you want to go along the lines of debt not being important, reality is most Australians do have concern about government debt levels)

Add to that just the manner in how we have handled this virus and haven't got hit hard, is an advantage to our mindset opposed to being hit hard like many other countries.

For instance Imagine being in the USA a country with huge levels of debt and also getting hit hard by the virus, much rather be us than them.

End of the day though, people are either glass half full or glass half empty people.

And those that are glass half empty will never be happy, always looking for negatives on why they can't be happy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 5:38pm

Indo I'm not saying it's not a good life - I'm as happy as a pig in shit, with where I live and my general standard of life.
I actually strongly believe that a huge part of being happy is keeping things in perspective, maybe lowering your expectations and being thankful.

I would like to own a house one day though.

But that's not what we're talking about and that's not what you said.

Australia is not doing well economically, and the elite of the financial world are pointing this out. We'll get through this but more due to only a relatively moderate affect from the virus and with little thanks to the state of our economy.

I noticed you've sidestepped a lot of my points but that's fine.

And again, this "amazing" run over the last few decades is predicated on huge immigration and has come at the expense of wages and housing affordability amongst other things.

Recessions have, in some form, already been coming and going for the last 28 years.

In any case to say that we've all benefited from the state of our economy over the past few decades is bullshit but you and I have been doing this dance for a while now.

So back to your statement "Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies that will help us get through this, we have had 28 years of economic growth, every single one of us has benefitted from this."

That's a no, a negative and an I don't think so.

Edit: the economist in your link basically says that Australia is in a good position due to the moderate affect of the virus and the successful measures taken against it. And also because of low international interest rates which have nothing to do with the state of Australia's economy.

And honestly mate, I'll take the U.S. Federal Reserve, the AFR, the RBA and the Australian Treasury over A Current Affair.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 5:33pm

"And again, this "amazing" run over the last few decades is predicated on huge immigration and has come at the expense of wages and housing affordability amongst other things."
Rubbish.
Housing affordability is mainly due to negative gearing, capital gain tax discounts, land banking, and the size and quality of houses. Immigration has played a tiny role in increasing demand, but immigrants also do a shit load of the actual building work.
Immigration hasn't kept wages low. Automation has seen a massive shift away from manufacturing jobs to low skill service sector jobs. We've also seen the rise of the "gig" economy which doesn't help the people doing the actual work. Union membership is down, casualisation is up, and for some stupid reason, Australians are world champions at doing unpaid overtime. We've also seen wage theft on a fucking grand scale in Australia.
When some working class bloke blames immigrants for their lot in life, they've just been fooled by someone way higher up the economic ladder.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 5:48pm

Rubbish nothing, read that statement more carefully.

"this "amazing" run over the last few decades is predicated on huge immigration"

Clearly true.

The "amazing run" is based on immigration, I didn't say lack of housing affordability is to blame on immigration, as you've pointed out it's clearly a lot more complex than that.

Keep sharpening that axe VL :)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 5:50pm

Vic Local. Spot on fella. It’s a rarity that I agree with most items you post, but on this occasion you are 100% correct. Look in ‘your own backyard of troubles ’ before blaming others (i.e.,migrants and other new comers to Australia), everyone’s got a story and in most cases they’re are not nice at all.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 6:24pm

Don't know about you guys but id rather a healthy economy with high immigration, then a recession with low immigration.

I came out of school in the early 90s and it sucked trying to find a job in a recession, unemployment super high, yeah property was cheap, but interest rates something crazy like 17% where i live people were virtually giving away land because they couldn't afford the rates.

In regard to wages, our minimum wages are the highest in the world...how much higher do you want them?

Maybe you wont be happy until every job possible of being offshore goes offshore?

If there is people who haven't benefited from the state of the economy since the last recession, it's sure not the governments fault, its their own fault, because unemployment rates have generally been low, interest rates low, goods low and cost of living reasonable, even travel flights etc low.

IMHO its a period we will all look back on as a golden period in many regards.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:50pm

How insane is this image! By William Smith

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:55pm

Crazy Craig, I love these sort of photos

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:58pm

Mushie induced one would guess haha. Amazing composition and imagination,

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:02pm

Nice photo ,, a backdoor section with a handrail for us older folk.
Not sure I like the look of the end section though.
Nor the shady customer silhouetted in the background.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:08pm

Quite a tale eh TBB.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:13pm

you say mushie ....

Dia-00036

Recently rediscovered from late 70's. Taken deep in the Otways using an old Olympus onto slide film and then put into digital format.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:19pm

Mind blowing frame Craig .............still singing Golden Brown.........

Hmmm how the depth of focus?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:29pm

Both really cool pics Guy and Craig.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 8:34pm

So sick Guy, micro!

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:00pm

Yeah those shots are awesome. GS, late 70s Olympus would be like an OM1 or OM2 yeah? Was it a Zuiko macro lens? They're worth a couple of bucks nowadays...

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 9:02pm

Agreed Indo and VL, hammer hits nail head