Death penalty for terrorists

theween's picture
theween started the topic in Friday, 9 Jun 2017 at 7:40pm

I know it won't happen in Australia any time soon but I believe there is a strong argument for bringing back the death penalty for those convicted of terrorist offences in Australia. As there is no prospect of rehabilitation for such offenders, the safety of society can only be guaranteed by their permanent removal. Happily, most of these scum are shot dead by police but for the terrorists who survive or failed plotters who are apprehended it would surely be a favourable outcome to see them swinging at the end of a rope.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm

ID, the kid, a 16 year old who interrupted a tax payer funded politician who is a part of the extreme right wing echo chamber that led to the murder of 49 people, gets slapped then punched by a guy who is quite a bit larger. Then crash tackled to the ground and choked by three of the poli’s thugs for an egging. And you don’t think he’s received enough punishment?

Bamboo under the finger nails?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 4:58pm

Let's put that little egg into perspective .....

that's President Johnson's car being driven through Melbourne in October 1966 having been splattered with paint by protesters against the Vietnam War.

It's what happens when the young get politically engaged against an ill-relevant political class. It's been a big week for young people finding their political voice. I for one am encouraged.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:02pm

In NZ we don't use eggs, hehe:

I'll buy that 16yo guy a beer if I ever bump into him.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:04pm

I never pictured you as Greens voter sypkan.

Although i do admit i voted Greens plenty of times when i was young, even had the nose piercing and glass bead braided into my hair to go with the vote, plus two Kombies and a good stint on the dole.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:14pm

"ID, the kid, a 16 year old who interrupted a tax payer funded politician who is a part of the extreme right wing echo chamber that led to the murder of 49 people, gets slapped then punched by a guy who is quite a bit larger. Then crash tackled to the ground and choked by three of the poli’s thugs for an egging. And you don’t think he’s received enough punishment?"

His political views are irrelevant you either believe in free speech and democracy and treat everyone by the same rules, or you don't.

I use to get treated heaps worse by bouncers in nightclubs for being a pissed idiot and doing far less as did many others.

If thats the only consequences, than it's open slather.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:27pm

It's not about convincing anyone factobum, just telling you my honest thoughts on the issue. Kinda wish you'd do the same from time to time

I still might vote green...

I still might throw eggs at s.h.y. too...

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:29pm

"I don't agree with Frasier Anning but good on him for giving him a little tap."

So a "little" bit of violence from our politicians is OK Indo?

In the wake of the NZ horrors, that's the spirit mate.....

What the young bloke did was wrong also. Both will or won't be charged according to the Law. Not Indo's Law thank goodness :)

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:52pm

"Although i do admit i voted Greens plenty of times when i was young, even had the nose piercing and glass bead braided into my hair to go with the vote, plus two Kombies and a good stint on the dole."

Confessions of a true cockwomble.

And chucking an egg at Sarah, Curly?

Why?

Forget 'fake news', fake equivalence is the problem.

Hanson-Young is on any kind of a footing with the likes of Anning?

Really?

Have a good long hard think and get back to us.

More haste, less speed.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:53pm

Years ago, during Abbott's "lifters and leaners" budget I was checking the surf up the coast when I saw a chubby bloke in oversized Old Navy duds strolling down the road. He was pigeon toed and wore pink thongs on his feet. Joe Hockey. At the time, I was livid at the Liberal's typical bash-the-poor account-keeping and wanted to say as much. But then I noticed that Fat Joe was with his kids. This wasn't parliament, this was just a slovenly guy spending time with his family, so I said nothing. I'm glad I made that decision, and for the reasons Indo outlined above.

But Fraser Anning? Man, it kinda feels like all bets are off. There's no moral equivalence to what he typed, nor any precedent set within our history. It was so far beyond the pale that to respond as if it was just another specious political statement is to do us all a disservice.

He got 19 votes then puts that vile shit on the Australian government letterhead.

I've got no problem with an egg on the head.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm

@Rabbit

I don't think you can blame anyone for reaction like that, if someone came up behind you and egged you, wouldn't you take a swing at them? it's more just a self defence kind of instinct move.

We all know it's and egg but in that split second you wouldn't know what it was, could have been some crazy chemical or something

However that said i think he should also be charged with assault, second swing is not acceptable, once you have had that moment to take in the picture and you know your not in danger.,,,no excuses for the second swing especially with back up.

Biggest difference though for the kid is.

1.Completely premeditated not just minutes but possibly hours, you obviously don't just happen to have eggs with you.

2. Cheap shot, coming from behind, never fair in anyones books even if just an egging.

3. Filming it, it again indicates premedication but also indicates a proudness of the action

To me thats the big difference.

One is a very premeditated planned action.

The second is a reactionary action that went one step too far.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:00pm

Aw, get fucked (to paraphrase Phil Jarratt)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:03pm

Correction: Fat Joe Hockey wasn't wearing pink thongs, he had a pink handbag.

(Just checked with a sly photo I took that arvo)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:59pm

I reckon Anning deserved the tap .

For the reasons that Stu said.

But I don’t think a public forum was the place to do it. It sets a bad example.

But he should definitely be turning up to a press engagement sporting a black eye courtesy of someone at a backyard BBQ.

I reckon Tarrant has got short man’s syndrome. It’s the sad new modern expression of overwhelming self disgust.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:13pm

They both did get equal justice. Fraser Anning copped an egg, the kid got beaten up. Then they BOTHE where released without charge.
The call for the kid to be further made an example of in the name of free speech and democracy seems like a gratuitous baying for blood.
Especially when the guy who is a representative of an Australian Senate seat was basically engaged in some sort of condoning of the tragic deaths of 49 people. Barely rates a mention. Freedom of speech, we also have a democratic right to protest. Equal, fair.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 7:26pm

@Indo, I think we will just have to agree to disagree. It’s all about the context.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment surrounding FA typed statement . Bloody horrendous. Free speech eh? Fark me......

Edit: Sentiment being disgust etc to what he typed. Bloody horrendous also in reference to the content of FA words ofcourse. Not sure if I confused anyone there. FA is bad news & must go.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm

You do realise what meeting this happened at, yeah?

And the security and tacklers?

Yep, same numpties that were at the St Kilda nazi fiasco that Anning peanut also attended.

They thrive on media publicity. Any type, usually. And they got it. But didn't like the yolk being on them.

Kid had guts to infiltrate that rats-nest and pull it off.

And the egg hopefully won't be washed off anytime soon.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:26pm

Big difference between defending free speech and hate speech. One has rights and responsibilities the other is indefensible in all circumstances.

Anning replaced Malcolm Roberts after getting 19 votes. Tweedle fucking dumb and tweedle fucking dumber. Fully vetted and endorsed One Nation shitsticks. FNQ has so much to answer for when it comes to AU politics.

Over 902,000 people have now voted at Change.org to have Anning removed from parliament.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:34pm

I reckon a good egging is a fundamental right of aussie politics. A right not to be disrespected, as it's place is a subtle right. It's a right reserved for particularly low or pathetic acts from politicians or public figures.

Anning met that low,

Many would argue howard met that low when he got egged

Sam dastyari met that low, he should've been egged

And I'd argue s.h.y. is in the lowly heights of that egging realm.

s.h.y. fake news....

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/07/11/sarah-hanson-youngs-whale-watching-...

https://newmatilda.com/2018/05/26/green-admiration-helen-razer-laments-l...

https://dailyreview.com.au/senator-sarah-hanson-young/76282/

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:33pm

Malcolm Roberts! The sovereign shitty-zen.

How well we remember the great climate change debate between him and Professor Brian Cox on the 'lefty lynch mobbed' Q & A.

Fuck fake equivalence.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:37pm

Long, long, long bow, Curls. Stretched to the point of ridiculousness.

Fuck fake equivalence.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:43pm

Isn't Anning a vocal supporter of Bob Katter's mate/brother-in-law's? (some direct connection) attempts to import that semi-automatic shot gun currently banned under AU law?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 6:54pm

Free speech v Hate speech.

Spot on GS.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 7:47pm

FFS straya get your shit together and kick that cunt Anning and his ilk off the gravy train. How you ever get people in positions like that speaks volumes for how fucked your political system is,
How many redneck cunts are a running around with fuck off were full stickers on their utes. NZ has its issues but you fuckers are freaking me out.
I love Australia and am in your country a lot , I pay a lot of tax there and I cant vote to help get rid of fuckwits like pauline hansen and co, not to mention your pedo sympathising ex pms, the mind boggles, WTF is really going on?
and indo dreaming what the fuck is going through your noodle brain?
supporting a grown man assaulting a kid for a bit of egg on his head , holy fuck,

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:23pm

Fuck off Inzider It's called looking at a situation without bias.

Like i said one is a unprovoked planned action and surely would still be classed as assault.

The other a reaction to being assaulted, first swing defence, second swing assault.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm

My Kelpie is smarter than you by a long shot indo. You really are a mutton head not worth conversing with. Later dork

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm

Fair call Inzider - the first part of your post anyway.

Seems like over the last five years the right have owned the cultural moment, they've come on with arguments never before proferred regarding speech and freedom and the soverieignty of the nation state - a loosely connected group of ideas, some I'd suggest even warrant further exploration. But if it felt like there was a mainstream shift towards the right then we now know what also comes with that shift.

The right to be a bigot? The freedom to hate? Unless those impulses are tempered, countered by opposing forces, then Brenton Tarrant is what we get.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:42pm

Fuck me. Ive had worse altercations when I was 6 in the schoolyard. Anning is right to defend himself....its just that hes a man off the land so knows how to do so, unlike most of the physically dislexic toads sitting in parliament. He used proportional force. Light slap, barely touched him. Went a touch overboard with the follow up but no one injuried. Old mate 17 should just laugh it off. All ok in my books.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm

Ipswich Gun Show this weekend...feeling sick already!
Surely this event would've been cancelled on compassionate grounds...Nope!

Right now Vic Police are reviewing a Video re: charging Oz #1 violent Pollie.
So please tell us how Oz most violent Pollie is handing out guns this weekend.

Has no one in Australia got a TV...So none heard of a mental Aussie Gunman?
All regulators & Event security were fine with this disaster in the making?

Sen Fraser Anning takes up a Stand at Brisbane Modern arms & Militaria Fair.
Event showcases (*Products) like shotguns,rifles,handguns,scopes,knives,shooting supplies,ammunition,camouflage,reloading equipment,gun cases,pistol & rifle magazines,military surplus etc.

Friday pens Mega-hate mail / Saturday smashes up Kid / Sunday hands out guns.
This is fuckin insane people...Everything is wrong with this. Oz just dodged a bullet!
This nutter can not possibly remain an Australian Citizen least of all a Pollie.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 17 Mar 2019 at 9:08pm

@Inzider

Pretty piss poor form happy to insult me but you cant take a slight insult back?

You know proving me wrong with a post with a bit of substance would be a lot better, but i guess you can't so you use personal insults instead.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 1:54am

Aw, get fucked again you stupid bloody cockwomble.

Inzider has nailed you and it.

Embarrassing.

Give it up, Indo Dreaming (What an absolute joke of a moniker), you've got nothing to piss in, tosspot.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 7:49am

Ease up, mate.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 7:54am

Right on queue the Factoum troll appears.

Again nothing of substance, no opinion on a topic, no counter argument, just abuse and one liners.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 8:02am

Some respect, guys. Please!
50 people were slaughtered while gathered for prayer. Now is the time to be gracious like Guy Smiley and our Prime Minister (thank you, Jacinda), not to bicker and sling insults.
But yeah, F Anning is a tool of the highest order.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 8:15am

Dear island bay
Apologies for lowering the tone of this forum but indo dreamcone gets what he deserves. He in other forums has called me out as a bullshitter and a liar in regards to my experiences living on Nauru working with refugees.
Zero fucks given for that peanut and what exists between the sawdust in his skull.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 8:35am

I called you out because yes you spinned absolute tripe.

But this is a completely different conversation so most people move on and treat others with a degree of respect, even if that is just ignoring others.

Which this is not.

"and indo dreaming what the fuck is going through your noodle brain?
supporting a grown man assaulting a kid for a bit of egg on his head , holy fuck,"

BTW. just for the record I'm not supporting, Frasier Anning i think he is a knob and i think that written speech thing was really irresponsible and in really bad and poor taste especially the last bit, and especially coming from a politician.

The point of my post was the actions of the kid are just as bad, basically no egg, no incident.

And as much as people like to say, argh its cool because he deserved it, well thats not how it works, the public doesn't automatically become judge and jury and decide if an assault is okay because someone deserved it.

The kid is probably just lucky Fraiser Anning was stupid enough to get physical, if he had somehow resisted the automatic reaction to take a swing, he could have then pressed chargers for assault, but seeing he took not just one swing but two, well he would also probably get charged.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 8:37am

not one word about One Nation and Pauline Hanson

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 8:41am

adding to @stu's 8.32pm comment.

"The last 5 years" coinciding with our current LNP government where we have had (1) defence of Bolt and years long attacks on 18c (2) constant attacks of the Human Rights Commission(er) (3) Brandis' we have a right to be a bigot (4) Senator Leyonhlelm's libertarianism pronouncements (5) Hanson wearing a burka into the Senate and race pronouncements (6) Bernardi's sex with animals pronouncements on SSM (7) sexist comments inside the Senate aimed at Hanson-Young and (7) Anning's "final solution" speech and recent activities around gun control laws and the last week.

All on top of very divisive debates around SSM, free speech, libertarianism, the erosion of Howard's gun laws, immigration and the demonisation of refugees.

That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others.

I have often talked of need for strong political leadership. In its absence, like osmosis, it will be filled.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 9:34am

I don't want to restart the insults but I actually agree with Indo on the egging incident. Yeh there was some pleasure in seeing Anning get it but I think we need to set a high bar about attacks on public figures. The kid should probably have to appear in court and receive a stern warning and a good behaviour bond, not for his benefit but yo send a message that anything beyond an egg would be considered much more seriously. I mean, what's the next step up, a punch, a rock? We really need to take a deep breath and say " Sorry kid, your intentions were good, but you can't do that, even to arseholes."

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 9:43am

I don't believe anyone has ever died from being 'assulted' by an egg.
I do know people have died from a single punch to the head.
Big difference.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 9:52am

WOL , very well put , punch vs egg ...indo and BB disagree , as they probably have been attacked by really really bad bad eggs!
pity not just senator ansing involved , but his supporters were there , were they one Nation members ?
Hmm racial vilification vs religious vilification , seems like we have been here before, will have to settle for indignant emotional responses!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 9:55am

Optimist, I've deleted your comment and if you post anything similar to it again on this thread I'm deleting your account.

Pull your head in.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 10:05am

All I said was stupid people respond badly to their fears as we have seen lately and also quoted the Koran with the texts regarding women's rights in Islam to show just a few reasons for the cultural divide. Yes you may delete my account as I have no interest in sanitised media especially when I publish text from their own Koran and Hadiths. Truth is power...Optimist out.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 10:11am

What you typed was a degree or two removed from what Fraser Anning wrote. More victim blaming from a tone deaf fool trying to push his own religious agenda.

Take it elsewhere. You wont be missed.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 10:25am

Word of caution to people commenting in here. It's largely been good commentary with the odd spot of overflow you might expect after such a charged event, however I'm really fucken pissed off after reading Optimist's post earlier so I'm tightening it right up. Any loose talk in this thread will just get deleted.

Religious nutters making mileage out of a massacre....fuck me dead.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 10:36am

dead right , leave it to the political nutters

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 10:46am

"Religious nutters making mileage out of a massacre....fuck me dead."

Not just religious nutters , but most Humans are making mileage out of the NZ massacre , because of religious vilification....which is accepted here in Australia , as one can tell by One Nations platforms ,the Nationals , some of the Libs.......who have continually vilified Islam. ,same as some of the postees on Swillnet who consider racism a huge crime , but not religious vilification!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:01am

"...but most Humans are making mileage out of the NZ massacre"

Might be a little bit of a stretch. From what I've seen and read, most people are trying to make sense of it, understand where it came from. And that's also what was going on in here.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:11am

Senator Anning: I quote from this morning's SMH.
"The real cause of bloodshed on New Zealand streets today is the immigation program which allowed Muslim fanatics to migrate to New Zealand in the first place."

Is the Senator suggesting that Brenton Tarrant was on a noble Australian quest to rid NZ of Muslim fanatics? Because that's how I read it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:23am

Hard to see it any other way. Also puts his 'Final Solution' speech in sharp relief, doesn't it?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 18 Mar 2019 at 11:42am

^^Not to mention the implied subtext - that Tarrant's actions are excusable, and by extension so would be any follow up copy-cat attacks by similar nutters.

Surely words that could be taken to incite violence like that must be illegal? (I'm no lawyer).