Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:20am

For mine, you can't listen to Friday's Blue Cheer... and say Ed Kuepper is over-rated.

It's a little 8 minute journey.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:33am

Or the hypnotic Honey Steel's Gold.

Or the beautiful and uplifting Black Ticket Day.

I think that's definitely one of his strengths, he has some real range in his style/s.

Dale -Cooper commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 10:28am

Hah! We had a signed and personal messaged tea towel from Mr Kuepper mounted on the wall. The misso was stoked!

As an aside, how is the tea towel merch? Uniquely Strayan (that's the shtick)? And cleverly appealing to the fairer sex (blokes go the teeos)?

Nick Cave one in Blighty. Not signed but misso still stoked.

And another signed and messaged one from Steve Kilbey not mounted (as yet).

Actually, his gig was another revelation of sorts. Certainly not jangly by any means!

Old blokes raging against the dying of the light.

Gotta dig it.

“The dog leg. That dog had four legs. One you found in my trunk. The other three went out with the information you're thinking about right now. Two people you don't want coming around here if anything bad happens to me.”

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 11:00am

Yes Andy. I in fact don't mind some of Ed's stuff. The last time I saw him play live he was in the Bad Seeds. For the first song of the gig he slung on a beautiful guitar and then didn't touch it for the whole track.
RocknRoll gold.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 11:07am

As far as the overrated calls, I'm just being smartarse because I'm a sarcastic belligerent music snob.
The Ramones tho, I did enjoy them live but I am still sticking with that call.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 12:00pm

I'd go as far as ed kuepper is australia's best music talent ever, his career from start to finish, I can barely name a song, but he's always been in there in the background. subliminally significant, saw him on sunny coast early 90s, essentially a front bar gig, very nice...

gotta agree fugazi up there with best ever. fucking hard core as anything at the time - without going down that ridiculous hard core road that was also unfolding at the same time... (which was still good, ...well some of it...) everything else was going faster harder, fugazi mastered the stop, and slow down, and yet were still as hard as anyone

saw them around same time, good gig, no mosh, the nirvana kids looked confused

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 11:54am

Big call sypkan, we've produced plenty of top-tier talent...
Tommy Emmanuel?
James and John Morrison?
Don Burrows?
Hard to compare accross genres of course, but in terms of shear musicality...

He who hesitates is lost

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 12:47pm

@velocityjohnno "Did any of you get to see these guys live?
Would have been a mad gig"

wow...that is a wild gig.
I saw TISM play at the graphic arts club or teachers union. they were wearing hessian sacks over there heads and had signs on top saying "john", "paul", "george", "ringo". there were two johns. i think the sacks over their heads made for a more subdued performance.

and for australia's best...these guys should be near the top of the list...the black diamonds

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 1:30pm

Stoked you got to see them Chook! Perth felt a world away from Melbourne in early 90's when still at school, but I note that gig was 2003 or so so techically we could have arranged a babysitter for the kids then gone and trashed a venue seeing TISM...

& thanks to everyone for the links, all of them are good

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 2:12pm

Have a crack at the Kill Devil Hills for some contemporary Australian music. From Perth I think.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 3:00pm
H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 3:04pm

Speaking of one helluva guitarist see previous post.

First track on freeway Friday night trip.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 3:15pm

Helped by a helluva rhythm section too H20.

He who hesitates is lost

Dale -Cooper commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 10:22am

Yes Mattlock, Kuepper in the Seeds! Reminded me that I saw that tour. And I think Barry Adamson was back in the fold as well?

And Kill Devil Hills go alright.

Speaking of devils, here's a colleagues band, sadly no more. Killer clip. Using footage from cult underground Aussie bikie/horror flick, Cosy Cool. The Comancheros feature. Before their divisive civil war and the subsequent Milperra Massacre.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 4:29pm

Barry A was there D-C. Nick and the Seeds blew the roof off the Thebby that show. Two encores. Second one Nick came out in a t-shirt and Warren had already changed his suit, they then played an awesome version of Push The Sky away to bring the crowd down.
True professionals.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 4:18pm

Oh yeah H2O and Pops. Rory Gallagher was an awesome guitar player, showman and a true gentleman. Check out his bio vid Edged In Blue.
Luckily I got to see him play too. Ranks as one my all time best gigs attended.

blackers commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 5:17pm

For Andy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 6:28pm

Well I dunno about anyone else but I thought that was shit hot :)

Big sound, would have been awesome live.

Reminiscent of Neil Young, which "aint" a bad thing.

Cheers Blackers!

udo commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 6:45pm

Two Neil Youngs - Utube

indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 7:09pm

Here you go Udo

Pretty cool actually

Please Stunet give me an ignore button for Talking Turkey, Shatners Basoon, Dale Cooper, Factotum, Pupkin, and any new fake profile he decides to create.

blackers commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 7:13pm

Two Neils for the price of one, what's not to like?

udo commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 7:31pm

Was very well done i thought...as is this
Wicked Games -Street cover by Yoni

Fuck...i just realised the Pistols Filthy Lucre Tour was back in 1996 !

indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 7:29pm

You sent me down a Neil Young Youtube rabbit hole and a just under 27 minute version of Down by the river.

Dale -Cooper commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 10:21am

Strange bedfellows.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 7:57pm

Just want to say this 'Tunes' thread has been awesome lately , and thx to everyone
After recently going through a dusty ole box in a cupboard , I found and fired up an old storage device that unknown to me had Napster files from years ago.
The storage device is an old jvc camera I connected to the pc to get the videos/pics off many moons ago . Somehow , accidentally , I've uploaded the music files to it The old pc is long gone and was never backed up.
Too much old school stuff to list , And I nearly threw it out.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:06pm

this one is for vlocal and blowin...

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:10pm

and this one just because it rocks, sound quality probably doesn't do it justice tho

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:16pm

and for total contrast, such a beautiful voice

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:44pm

Good one synchro... I saw Neil Murray from Warumpi play a couple of times, one night in Broome was a low key surprise bonanza... 'twas rad!

The original My Island Home (later more famously covered by Chistine Anu)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:36pm

Can anyone tell me how to embed youtube vids? It makes it heaps easier than clicking on links.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:39pm

yeah posting from phone doesn't seem to give the 'embed' option

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Thursday, 21 May 2020 at 9:48pm

Ah, that's where I post from mostly, cheers.

"..and thanks for the Sound As Ever link Patrick."
You're welcome GreenJam

Blowin commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 7:05am

Powderfinger are doing a live Youtube performance tomorrow.

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 8:34am

I'd take permanent deafness over listening/watching that Powderfinger live stream.

Blowin commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 8:35am

Fair enough.

Have a good Saturday night regardless.

Johknee's picture
Johknee's picture
Johknee commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 9:40am

All good mate. Powderfinger and Grinspoon are in my top 3 worst bands of all time. Seen them live and had to get a defibrillator to bring me back from boredom.

Dale -Cooper commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 10:12am

What about Silverchain?

Dale -Cooper commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 10:36am

Interesting stuff.

blackers commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 11:26am

Another great live act from back in the day. And perfect for iso times or just those of us who like being hermits.

blackers commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 11:27am

Sorry, once was enough.

Dale -Cooper commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 11:58am

You can never get enough X.

This bloke?

blackers commented Friday, 22 May 2020 at 12:14pm

Hah hah, Dc, true but perhaps not the same post twice.
And now for something completely different.

Dale -Cooper commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 12:13am

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 9:43am

Sat morning seed from Vicco...

I wonder what happened to Bunny Lost animal

Balls of fire

Dale -Cooper commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 9:57am

He ended up in Entourage.

Dale -Cooper commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 10:07am

How funny was that TISM footage above? Wild.

What's behind the mask?

blackers commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 12:00pm

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 12:45pm

"Saw TISM live at the Mentone Hotel in the late 80's. Possibly the best gig I have been to in terms of the overall "show"; tight musically, catchy amusing tunes and completely whacked out performance art in a packed room full of energy. They knew how to entertain."

so melbourne's clowns of decadence then?

shit?

blackers commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 2:00pm

No, it was a great gig.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam commented Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 2:24pm

ahh, the Gimme Gimme's. Funny story, I saw them in Honolulu back in 2000, was killing time in a record shop on my last day of the trip and found a small flyer noting they were playing that night. So off I went, it was a tiny bar and it was packed, big time, hardly any space to move and they soon closed the doors. The gig gets underway and things are getting a bit wild with stage diving and mosh pit movements starting to knock things over. The bar owner/manager? gets up on stage asking everyone to calm down, no-one really takes any notice, the band dont give a shit and actually incite a bit more chaos. Bar owner/manager gets up again and threatens to shut it down, nothing much changes and then suddenly the power is off. Crowd not happy, and then a shit load of cops with helmets and batons enter the premises and 'officially' shut it down. I managed to avoid any carnage, escaped to the toilets for a while, then emerge to find the place largely empty, all cops gone and the band at the bar. So I joined them for a decent piss-up. That Spike guy was pretty crazy, I understand some shrooms had been consumed, Fat Mike was a laugh. Anyway, even though the gig itself was fairly short, it was a good night in the end.