Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 May 2020 at 4:15pm

I like Fugazi but i cant listen to a whole album, i find they have moments of greatness some of the best songs ever, sometimes a few amazing songs in a row for instance first two songs on "in on the kill taker" but then fade away quickly, but i respect they paved the way for many great bands and highly influential not just for the music but the way they did things, like stance on gig prices etc.

"Repeater is ten times the album of Nevermind"

I don't think that's a very good comparison they are completely different bands from different scenes, bar "waiting room" they dont really have wide appeal, Nevermind though is such a rare album in that, it's not pure pop or pure rock, really it's roots are in punk, but it was the first album for a very long time with roots on punk that was widely appreciated, and not just for one song but four successful singles, but really any song on the album could have been a single, i know its not cool to like Nevermind anymore but IMHO its a perfect album.

I think a better comparison is Repeater V's At the Drive In's "Relationship of command" , possibly the most commercially successful post hardcore type album

I know nobody will agree but IMHO it's a stronger album than Repeater, but that said. without Fugazi there would be no At the drive in.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 4:39pm

And Green Day are the Descendants...

And Blink 182 are the Buzzcocks...

And Big Macs are $ick.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 May 2020 at 4:50pm

Is Nevermind considered uncool ?

I realise it’s been flogged within an inch of its life , but that’s only because it was so amazing.

PS Just gave “ Smells like teen spirit “ a blatt for old times sake. Couldn’t get ten seconds in. Heard it far too many times.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:07pm

Kinda in alternative music communities (FB groups etc) or even a bit among Nirvana fans, i guess because it's s popular and rated so highly, have a look under every Nirvana YouTube video, there will always be comments or debate saying In Utero or bleach is better, everything trying to out cool each other. (i do rate In Utero though)

I don't know though, sometimes you dont need to rate things as best or better, sometimes they are just different or just as good but in different ways.

To be honest in the 90s i was a music snob, if it was in anyway half popular i wrote it off all the stuff my mates were into all that drop D stuff, Tool, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden Silverchair, Grinspoon etc only exception was Nirvana

But I've since gone back and embraced lots of bands and albums and i wrote off at the time, fuck i even love Guns & Roses these days id probably even rate Appetite as one of the best albums ever.

Yeah "Smells like teen spirit" still a great song but i do normally skip it, just heard it one too many times.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:09pm

I'm so cool I've never owned a copy of Nevermind.

True story.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:25pm

Appetite for destruction is off tap.

All the talk on here about punk rock and it’s definition...Guns n Roses lived the punk life . The ethos of punk seems to place more onus on the politics than the hedonism. I thought it was built around rejection of the staid and the ordinary. Guns n roses were living in dives , surviving on a diet of drugs and strippers . Music was what got them out of bed in the morning. That’s punk whichever way you cut it.

Hard core legends.

You might call it rock. What’s the difference ?

Welcome to the jungle blows 90 percent of that other stuff out of the water.

If the deciding factor in punk is exclusivity to a niche market then you’re welcome to it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:24pm

@Stunet

Didn't you say you didn't even stay around for Nirvana after the Cosmic psychos played?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:24pm

Stu....I assume you’ve heard it end to end though ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:28pm

1,001 times....but I've never had it in my collection.

Even bought tix to see them at Selinas and left after the Cosmic Psychos played. Drank in the beergarden while Nirvana were on.

JJJ went national and the underground copped the spotlight.

Wasn't into it.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:45pm

Hahahaha. 3rd times a charm...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:51pm

Wait! You might be onto something, Blow Blow...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 May 2020 at 5:52pm

Difference being that I had no idea about JJJ before Nirvana.

Late bloomer etc

But really even that doesn’t cut it because I was lost to the Oils for years before then. I put it down to limited social influences.

A bloke up the road locked me in his bedroom at knife point and made me listen to Never mind the bollocks a few years before that though , so even that ain’t true. Can’t explain it.

I was just clay waiting for a sculptor at that stage , like most. Intrinsic sensibilities take you in one direction and then fate takes over.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 6:17pm

Much like your political sensibilities then?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 May 2020 at 6:20pm

Can I not comment anywhere without some loser having a go ?

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 6:22pm

Welcome to the jungle, punk.

Yeah, yeah.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 18 May 2020 at 6:29pm

I liked Hoarmoaning better at the time and even more so now than Nevermind. But Nevermind had to happen, the undercurrent was going to explode out into the mainstream in one way or another and Nevermind was it, it was rad at the time in 91 when it just blew all the mainstream music apart even on the main radio stations, everyone was psyching out everywhere on it.

edit: with honourable exception of Stu and Hootz

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 May 2020 at 6:40pm

@ Blowin,

I was surrounded by corrupting cousins, but it's also true that I was willing to be corrupted.

In my mid-teens a cousin ten years older used to give me tapes of The Smiths, Julian Cope, and lots of weird English pop, while another cousin, other side of the family and only a few years older, was well into Buzzcocks, DKs etc and drilled me on the punk/hardcore side. He lived in the city and I'd get into a few pubs to see bands with him.

I also worked in a pie shop for a family friend and when they moved south (to start up Pilgrims at Milton no less, which helped out a few years later), a young guy bought it who was right into Lubricated Goat, Box The Jesuit, Thug, all the Red Eye bandsl, and I often got dragged along as the underage mascot, which opened my eyes very early on.

First time I moved out of home was with a cousin, same age as me, who fell in with the first wave of UK ravers who'd move here for six months during our summer and started up the Oz rave scene. Was never totally into it, though fortunate again to see the very beginnings of that movement before it went into the clubs.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 9:09pm

Nirvana.

Parp!

You were on the money with Flipper, Johnno.

Well, not the money money...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 18 May 2020 at 10:14pm

Who were the Aussie Nirvana?
Underground chartbusters. Same same timeframe?

Ratcat?

I wasn't around.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 18 May 2020 at 10:38pm

And the Aussie G n R ? Screaming Jets ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 18 May 2020 at 11:43pm

The Angels!

No way, get...

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 8:43am

"Screaming Jets go offffffff!"

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:39am

Ratcat was entertaining but not Nirvana like. Early days of You Am I such as “Sound as Ever” album was grunge like before they chilled out.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:47am

silverchair are the most obvious aus nirvana comparison

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:52am

Well they were for their one album when they were 15.
And that came out after Kurt died.
They were more heavily influenced by them rather than our version of them imo.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:53am

"Underground chartbusters."

Ratcat's Tingles was pre-Nirvana's Teen Spirit.

And it got to No. 1!

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 10:54am

Silverchain were never underground.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:01am

i played a gig where silverchair were first band on and kiss my poodles donkey headlined, pretty underground

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:08am

mind you, while we were eating pizza in the gutter pre gig, they were eating in a fancy restaurant while getting schmoozed by record company execs, wasn't long afterwards that they blew up

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:11am

What was your band Synchro?

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:18am

seaweed goorillas

we split up not long after that

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:22am

Seaweed Goorillas! Haha. I've got your album!

Well played, sir.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:22am

Ha ha...don't think I ever saw you but I def remember the name.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:25am

You've got the album?

So you're the one.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:27am

And post-JJJ going national, the sands definitely shifted as to what 'underground' even meant?

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:36am

"You've got the album?

So you're the one."

heyyyyy, i'll have you know we released an ep and 2 albums and they all sold out

there maybe have only been 10 of each released, but...

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:45am

funnily enough this little blast from the past just got posted up recently

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:53am

Weren't you blokes on the Trash soundtrack?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:02pm

i'd vote for the space juniors as our nirvana.
but then again, i've never listened to a nirvana album, so what would i know.
ratcat seems an odd one to compare to nirvana..they took their influences more from josey and the pussycats.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 11:57am

possibly, we had some tracks on something back then, maybe something pk did?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:08pm

Lot of info online. Interview with Wally Meanie even says you guys supported Nirvana.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:19pm

yeah wally was the best thing that happened to us, booked our gigs for a long time and got us on some unreal lineups

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:28pm

"Underground chartbusters. Same same timeframe?"

Again, I'm not talking about their sound.

An old Waterfront Records band that went to no. 1 on the mainstream charts??

So I'm guessing they would've got mainstream radio airplay as well?

As I said, I wasn't around. But I found it interesting when I got back to Oz.

And then Nirvana happened worldwide in a mainstream sense.

The year I was first away, I blew off seeing Nirvana, 'cos they seemed like a 'Ratcat' to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I was stoked that I saw Mudhoney, Tad and Thee Headcoats on a triple bill in a North London pub venue.

Still am!

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:48pm

dunno, huxton creepers? did anyone underground actually bust the charts?

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 12:52pm

cruel sea, but they were probably later on

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 2:03pm

synchro - am I correct, one of the Meanies was in the Seaweed Gorillas first?

I got a mix album with one of your tunes - the 'crack in the sun or fade in the shade' compilation. A pretty good mix of some Aussie underground/garage/punk... whatever its called.

synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal's picture
synchrodogcal Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 2:22pm

yep spot on gj, our guitarist tas (rip) played with the meanies after we broke up

i remember we got a grand or something to record one track for that compilation, it was probably more than we'd spent on recording a whole album previously, haha

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 3:00pm

Nice, Seaweed Gorillas were good have the second CD (think maybe the second one, not as good as the first) and a single/ep, plus the crack in the sun fade in the shade comp (heaps of good bands on it) plus the twelve heads no brains comp.

Also loved Fridge use to go see them a bit, believe some members lived together with Seaweed Gorillas at Point lonsdale in the 90s

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 3:05pm

BTW. Linking Seaweed Gorillas/Meanies together to Silverchair, believe both Tas and Daniel dated Adalitta (Magic Dirt) at different stages.

Rat Cat Tingles was big, i was in Tassie at the time, no JJJ where we lived but it was still flogged by us all.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 3:08pm

I went to Seaweed Goorillas and Fridge gigs. Both great bands. I remember seeing one of them at the GB in Richmond covering My Pal.