Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 28 Apr 2020 at 5:58pm

"Just found Sandpit's 'On Second Thought' on Spotify.

What an incredible album."

Yeah i love that album, not too heavy not to light and has a nice flow, i got a vinyl copy a few months ago before they sold out, the two EP's below are pretty good too not sure if they are on spotify.

I saw them about half a dozen times live mostly as support bands, the singer/vocalist was a real talented guy (but hasnt done much since), live he use to have about half a dozen vintage guitars on the side of the stage and use too swap guitars every few songs as i think he used a few different weird tunings.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 28 Apr 2020 at 6:06pm

Cool i also use to see Something for kate a lot in their very early days, most of the time they were also the support band, i remember one gig when they had only released their first EP and the room was pretty much empty just people standing around the edges and at the bar and it was a very low stage so me and my girlfriend at the time went and sat a few metres from the stage in the middle of the room and it felt like it was our own private gig.

Paul always come's across as a very smart guy even his early songs lyrics are just so clever and unique

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 28 Apr 2020 at 6:39pm

Always been a fan of Paul and saw his solo gig last year. Was amazing, so charismatic and also semi kooky but owned the stage. Simple as well with just him and his guitar.

Their new solo release (SfK) is great.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 28 Apr 2020 at 7:24pm

Paul Dempsey liked this Martha Davis song so much he did a cover of it.
The youtube version is good to listen to, but.....

The original version is a hit , well sorta, kinda, shoulda.
in 1987, it made it to #8 in Australia and #80 in the US.

I'm not sure if its the beat, the bass, melody or lyrics, but one thing is for sure, this is one catchy tune, and Martha (even with short hair and a suit) was one sexy singer.

Need I mention her voice can melt frozen butter.....?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 28 Apr 2020 at 9:37pm

thanxWestofthelake -
tbb saw Motels 1982 Rock'n'Roll HQ (Superb! Tightest live act of the day)
Loud applause was equally for the band that echoed the best singer! Perfect!

tbb will load an edgy punk / new wave Motels (It's way too Cool, even for today!)

tbb just got PUNK'd by H20 / Stu / Indo

Thanx H20 & crew ...never thought to recheck Modern Lovers..
Those 1972 cuts are everything you guys say they are.
100% Agree with the crew on this, the band is solid for that era.

'80 on > tbb was aware of the band but not this early '72 Punk Slab.

Here's what Qldurrz could sample in late '70's which spun into 1983 > faded...

(1977 Live) was the only LP played thru Punk era > mostly for coming down.

&list=OLAK5uy_n2kCYs6LGe9G8FaEiiXEGpIUWk_MCURjA&index=1

1977 Re-Releases > 'Astral Plane' spun out also until 1983 & on...
Astral plane for tripping if you could find it in the punk chix collection...
https://www.discogs.com/The-Modern-Lovers-New-England-Astral-Plane/relea...
Road Runner curio also linked Pistols into Sid / Iggy "Wanna be your Dog"
https://www.discogs.com/Jonathan-Richman-And-The-Modern-Lovers-The-Morni...

Singles via Sydney > Bne > Goldie Punk Chix swapped into Local Playlist.

Goldie Record Stores had rare 2nd hand stock but not for early Alt Punk LP's.
Sydney / 1970's US wannabe's...so maybe a 1972 LP re-release..not so Qld.

Stu's Take was punk + H20 /indo won me over also, a great re-intro into old band!

tbb : Salutes Ben & crew for #1 swellnet Tunes site...has Punk cred & cool vidz.

PS: 1st US [ PUNK ] episode...don't recall a mention of Modern Lovers...a crime?
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1721146435845/punk-s1-ep1

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 8:45am

Thanks Stu, tbb and Indo for curation and sharing appreciation. Will have a crack at SBS docco this week.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 1:14pm

Yeah I'm gonna do the same. Haven't seen it yet. Though I've seen enough docos and read enough books on the topic to know that everyone has slightly different thoughts on the bands that ran as precursors to punk.

The Stooges are a must, same with the MC5, maybe throw The Dictators in there too, but it comes down to personal tastes with all those lesser known bands that are sometimes listed as proto-punk.

Is being political a pre-requisite? Arty and bohemian? Is it the structure of the music that mattered?

Whatever bands you'd choose depend on what your definition of punk is.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 2:41pm

Gotta be the music structure plus a bit of attitude Simple chords , fewer instruments the better, bit in your face . Re The Stooges - never forget a mate showing me the cover of an LP he had just bought "Raw Power" back in the day and then listening to it.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 3:24pm

Thanks tbb. I will be watching that for sure. Arty and bohemian? Yeh the BoBos were in there from the start.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 5:27pm

Watched that SBS punk docco today, was pretty decent.

Im always confused exactly what punk is especially when bands like Blondie and Talking heads are mentioned as Punk.

To me it's more just an attitude of going against the grain, anti establishment, and just saying black when someone says white.

For example to me this is more punk than much stuff considered punk and it's not even a traditional drums, bass, guitar, vocals band but more electronic and sample based

I always think of hardcore being more punk than punk rock too.

boatie's picture
boatie's picture
boatie Wednesday, 29 Apr 2020 at 7:49pm

John Lydon, I had to take a double take, these days he looks like Peter Pettigrew, a character from Harry Potter - but he probably has some of the best, honest lines so far in the series! Blondie turned into a psuedo reggae band, once new management got hold of them, but they were very rough to begin with. No mention of The Saints though, who were 'punk' years ahead of the Sex Pistols et al, though after MC5 and The Stooges.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 8:30am

This just dropped.

Edit: i thought it happened last night, but seems recorded in 2017 oh well.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 8:52am

@Boatie,

Yeah, I get frustrated at these punk revival docos - there's been a number of them over the years - that hold a microscope up to the 1970s yet completely miss The Saints. It's understandable they may have missed them the first time around - small band, small town, small label - but unforgivable that they're overlooked now.

If not for the music - and there's no question songs like 'Erotic Neurotic' and 'I'm Stranded' fit the punk formula - including The Saints in a docomentary helps illustrustrate why punk started. That it was a collective reaction to economic and social breakdown in the 70s. Young musos across the Western world were all affected by the same forces: unemployment, boredom, stagflation, and the oil shocks causing an uncertain future.

That was the driving force. That was why punk happened as it did.

It wasn't born at one place and grew. It was felt everywhere at once. So there were bands from disparate cities - even Brisbane! - bands that didn't know each other, but who were reacting against a common enemy and in the process they created similar music about similar themes.

If documentary makers aren't telling that story, then they're missing the point.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 9:46am

Agree boatie, when he talked about Sid and Nancy it was about the only genuine moment in the whole thing. Iggy was OK but most of the rest sounded like a mutual admiration society. And as Stu pointed out there was no attempt to relate it into the social conditions of the time. But it did manage to nail Malcolm McLaren for the parasitical prick he was.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 30 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm

heh, tbb...i have trouble following some of your posts, so wanted to ask...
"Singles via Sydney > Bne > Goldie Punk Chix swapped into Local Playlist."

Are you referring to the Sydney band The Singles? If so, they were so good. buzzcocks meet the modern lovers. i can't believe they aren't better known. i lived with their bass player. We were best mates.

As to the punk doco...i really liked it. it doesn't try to be an exhaustive, sprawling listing of all punk bands, scenes and influences. instead, it focusses on a selected, small group of interviewees to tell a story.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:27pm

Dan Dubuque covering Rage against the Machines - Killing in the name Of -
On a Slide Guitar - YouTube

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:29pm

Great song, excellent video

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 6:29pm

Great song, excellent video

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:22am

Chook that'd be a Qldurrz Joh Speak error..tbb needs to be censored.
Strictly referring to the (above) 2 - Modern lovers singles that were pictured.

Great Singles plug Chook... just won yer flatmate's band a spin for sure...
Singles...That's just someone that I knew.

The Singles sound familiar (live) Playroom? used to run triple bills for Oz bands...

1980's Goldie Records Reprise (Above)

1980-84 We Goldie Punkz did runs to Lismore / Sydney (Not to gig) Tribal thing.
Spend up at Phantom Records & Doublethink label mates were in the piles.
Return with Sydney Punks...around a dozen or more would bunk in Goldie Hovels.
That's how GC crew got the records...mostly off Sydney Punks & Phantom records.

A few of us Goldie Punks had older brothers in then only Bne Unis.
tbb scored rare Razar / Bne singles from (Big Brother's Ratpack) 4ZZZ raids.
Ratpack (GC band) - a borrowed common generic name for late 70's groggy swats.

Way too many quality OZ Power Pop/Rock bands flew under the radar...
So Many shared generic short names that got wiped out with the New Wave.
Flowers / Angels / (British BEAT) had fights over names...

Singles being one, another shared generic name example is this band...

This 1980 Perth Power Pop band won over Goldie Playroom DJ > Punk Fans
The Boys...When you're lonely...great hook / vibe / energy. [ Ticked all the boxes ]

1980 The Beat (U.S.) Great example ...Every bit as excellent as British Beat.
tbb liked both bands..This naming battle was common & costly during early '80's.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 10:37am

Saturday morning warm up.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 10:48am

Gave that a solid go , Snuffy.

The music wasnt actually that bad. Just a bit of metal.

But the vocals.....huh ?

What is that about ? I’m calling that’s the worst singing in the history of music. Worse than yodelling. Certainly explains why the fella on the microphone is masking his face.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:20pm

Here's the original version...

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:27pm

Haha TBB Should dub SCATS over the top...

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 2:28pm

re the punk doco - 2 more episodes to come. For mine, I think the next 2 will be better as it gets into 80s and 90s. See Thurston Moore has made a late appearance in the last episode, Ian MacKay too, expect more from them, and I suspect Fat Mike will have a bit to say too.

tbb - really enjoy your inputs. I think you've mentioned them before but Blister were in my eyes a good band, had a really tight set going for a few years, was a bit repetitive when you saw them a few times, but still good. They were excellent support for NoFX, and I think Supersuckers too. And you mentioned 4zzz - best radio station in the nation, or it was when I was in high school, refused to listen to JJJ when it eventually came to Bris. And did you ever get to a 4zzz Market Day, man, they were wild, better than any of the bigger 'festivals' when they came on the scene. But the earliest of Livid's were also awesome. Great times for an underager. How about the Market Day when the cops raided it on horseback with the aid of the military police, that was full on

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 3:35pm

Getting your genre's mixed up now this is METAL

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 7:45pm

Snuffy, that's funny! Every metal stereotype laid bare. How's the hair lines on the guitarists? Looks like a true creep convention. Matching flying v's as well. Good work.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Sunday, 3 May 2020 at 12:01am

Snuffy, got it on good authority that blow in wants to dedicate this one especially to you.

All together now...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 8 May 2020 at 4:14pm

Goat's Topless Telethon Challenge...'When I feel Trouble'

Far-out world's rarest Track lasted all of 1 hour ...Qldurr tbb censorship thang!
Loaded again...

Kelly's Outlaw Gang...
https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2019/09/23/see-you-next-...

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 11:35am

Get on your bike.

Bratz,

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 3:14pm

The shit that was worthy of a yeeha shindig before the cult took off (Thanks Johnny, you little desiccated coconut).

Maybe even a dig at the year in question?

The Plague were a fucken sick band, by the way.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 5:03pm

Snuffy....those videos were unreal.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 9:59pm

Punk!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 May 2020 at 10:20pm

Ha ha!

Not Iggy Azalea?

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 11 May 2020 at 5:40pm

With Little Richard's death, it's been noted in passing, as a reminder, that the father of rock n roll was a poor gay black man from Georgia.

But then there's also been the reminder that before him was a poor gay black woman from Arkansas: Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/544226085/forebears-sister-rosetta-tharpe...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 11 May 2020 at 5:53pm

Nice find D-C.

Sassy black mama is ripping.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Monday, 11 May 2020 at 6:05pm

She was letting 'em know in 1941! A worthy member of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Monday, 11 May 2020 at 9:29pm

Read the Mark Lanegan memoir that just came out.
Pretty heavy. Doesnt paint a pretty picture of being an addict and on tour with a band. Never been an addict but felt like i needed a shower after. Glad dude sorted his shit out (somewhat).
The chapter about his feud with Liam Gallagher lightened the mood a touch. "all the menace of a z grade Steven Seagal".

Same time released his new album. Straight Songs of Sorrow. Not sure what people who dont already like his stuff think but I'm into it, especially this song right now.
[youtube]

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 13 May 2020 at 10:43pm
Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:02am

Just lost another morning to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
Gotta be in the conversation for best album of all time?
(edit, yeah, I know "Wish You Were Here" is the album name...)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 10:33am

That or Dark Side of the Moon for sure Pops.

(if you've ripped a couple)

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 10:38am

Even if you haven't, Zen!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 10:49am

Indeed Pops.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:00am

Ripping a couple is mandatory for Ummagumma!!!

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:03am

I'll take your word it

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:56am

Never trust a hippie.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 1:49pm

that's 'never trust a fuckin hippy' - NoFx 'drugs are good'

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 2:35pm

Yeah, nah.

And by the way, how pants was that final episode of the Punk series?

Best bit was that Warped Tour dweeb retelling how Tony Alva headbutted him for fucking things up with his particular travelling circus shitshow.

And the dweeb dug it! Instant cred!

FFS.

Fraser G's picture
Fraser G's picture
Fraser G Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 2:49pm

Just watched it last night trying to explain how shit that period was to the wife.She was into some of those bands NOFX Pennywise.Rollins summed it up hitting it on the head people were looking that way while the underground was over in the other direction.There was some great stuff that came out around the same time period The BrianJonestown Massacre being one of them.The series missed a lot of stuff the Texas bands and so on.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 3:44pm

Yeah all that stuff was a bit of a con - power pop masquerading as something "punk" and edgy.
I had the misfortune of seeing The Offspring at the '96 BDO and it was fucking embarrassing.
I'm certainly not in touch with underground or genuinely independent music but that genre aint it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 7:41pm

Shopping mall punk