Watch: Huge Mavericks

Reels

What drone footage loses in height it makes up for with scope; the ability to show range and distance. And the advantage is put to great use in this vid of Mavericks filmed two days ago.

Two days earlier, Pete Mel had paddled into what was arguably the best wave ever ridden at Mavs, but the next swell was an altogether different beast unloading most of its energy on the outer reefs that lay dormant until awoken by a once-a-decade swell such as this.

There are still paddle waves, but they're shorter and relatively flatter, effected by the energy loss from outside. While some of the tow waves are as long as any Mavericks wave I've seen, ridden from far beyond the usual takeoff area and connected through to the channel.

The drone's high-pitched whirr may irritate, but the view at times is sublime.

Comments

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:07pm

Some incredible footage and different perspectives. Looks so heavy. I'm a bit surprised that the tow surfers didn't take more aggressive lines and try to get more pitted. Easy to say from the laptop ofcourse but these days it not unusual to see extreme charging in the most hectic looking situations, particularly with all the safety around.

Pristine

rooftop's picture
rooftop's picture
rooftop commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:58pm

Probably cause Mavs barrels tends to clamp shut, whereas Peahi, The Right, Cloudbreak etc often stay open the whole way.

Says the armchair expert.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:34pm

Yeah I hear what your saying Rooftop. Just looked like there was opportunity to do a “Pete Mel” style tow in to charge that hollow section from behind. Given the likes of Kai Lenny & co were on it but didn’t appear to have a go, I can only assume it was too dangerous, even for them. Imagine the shot though, locked in one of those huge ones.

P.S. The Right can do a pretty good impression of clamping at times. Stuff of nightmares....

Pristine

Santosha's picture
Santosha's picture
Santosha commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:10pm

Had to replay the guy at 7.13, wtf is he riding... looks like friggen snow skis ? Where have I been, Is this normal now ? I haven’t seen this at Snapper.

oldman's picture
oldman's picture
oldman commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:52pm

Look like ski's to me.
Even got the poles to go with them by the look.

Groper's picture
Groper's picture
Groper commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:32pm
Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:07pm

Yep. Thats new. Im taking out my rollerblades to snapper tomorrow.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 2:03pm

I can't quite explain why, but seeing a guy on skis there really annoys me.

Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum's picture
Clivus Multrum commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 4:10pm

Agreed. Gimmicky

savanova's picture
savanova's picture
savanova commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:38pm

Almost close encounter of the worst kind between drone & chopper @110mins. Cant imagine what its like getting flogged there at that size in that murky water before the sun has even cracked the horizon. Pure darkness at depth

oldman's picture
oldman's picture
oldman commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:53pm

Sun setting i reckon sava.

stunet commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 5:11pm

I dont think it'd present any problem to the chopper, but the drone on the other hand...

Anyone remember how the Wozzle dealt with illegal drone filmers at the 2018 Jaws comp?

Flew a chopper overhead and the drones fell out of the sky and into the drink.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm

1:40. Ouch. How does someone survive that?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:50pm

So what's going on with the La Nina and all these west coast US swells? Seems like they're having one of the best years ever?

bipola's picture
bipola's picture
bipola commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:51pm

some really smooth beautiful waves

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 7:41pm

There’s an incredible water angle of young local goofy Luca Padua on the wave at 0:50...can’t really tell from the drone but he pulls an amazing line and gets pitted and makes it!

I'm not cheap,
But I'm free.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm

Nice to see tow surfing there. Can position deeper and surf the wave with interesting lines.

Frogg

billie's picture
billie's picture
billie commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 9:49pm

Couple of quick things:

. Jets ski tow ins are HORRIBLE unless it's 25feet. A lot of those towed waves don't qualify and are far too fat to be towed. Also those poor paddle surfers having to deal with all that snaking, noise, smell and fear of collision.

. I hate drone footage.

I know, if you haven't got anything to say......

Billie

Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:12pm

I agree Billie. The raw footage of Pete Mel paddling into a beast captured the intensity of the session, the kahuna's needed to paddle it and how important the right equipment is. This clip missed a lot of that for me, but yeah easy to critique from the armchair.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:12pm

I agree, from the footage presented those paddle surfers seemed to be in a rough pack mostly watching the towed surfers on waves ... not even in the next lifetime would I be tempted anyways.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 4:41pm

I'm surprised to see them tow when there is a pack of paddle surfers in the lineup. It appears to me that the tow guys are catching the deep ones, and some that peak but don't break until further on the inside. I presume both those wave positions are not in the scope of the paddle surfers, otherwise they would all get cleaned up each time a proper set came in. Hence in my opinion the tow guys weren't really taking waves from the paddle guys, but having those skis kick out near to where the paddle guys are hanging out (probably the "normal" take off spot for Mavs paddle in) seems to be a big hazard. That's my take, and i'm probably way off the mark.

billie's picture
billie's picture
billie commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 10:15pm

Yeah, I hear ya. You've pretty much voiced what I wanted to say. Thing is, I'd have a go out there. I certainly wouldn't catch the bombs, but I wouldn't hesitate to paddle out. The last thing I would expect as a reward for courage is little engines buzzing around the line up around me. So uncool. So unwelcome. So kooky.

I want to feel my way in to the take off spot and perhaps not catch any waves. How am I going to get my 30 years experience without joining the jet ski kooks? I can't compete or battle that, but I would want to feel my way over years into that big wave colosseum.

Billie

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy commented Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 12:37am

Your spot on billie. I don't know how it works at Mavs, but on the big days around Margs, the ski's wont come out if there is a crew paddling. Only time they test the waters, is when only one or two guys are paddling, usually in cross shore or other unfavourable conditions, even then they actually ask you if it is OK for them to tow while you paddle. The paddler takes priority, so if you don't want company they wont stay. Good luck, would have been pretty impressive to have been out at Mavs on some of those epic days.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink commented Sunday, 17 Jan 2021 at 8:33pm

I’m really pleased to hear that jamyardy, so civilised, and the way it should be. If jet skis are out there they only get waves that paddlers aren’t getting.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:20pm

Watched it to the very end hoping for the music credits but none provided - that first track was fantastic.

Any ideas???

Much appreciated

edit: Angel - Massive Attack & Mothers of the Sun Black Mountain

udo commented Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:22pm

Click the utube logo
over to utube
down to show more then scroll down.

Finnbob the terror's picture
Finnbob the terror's picture
Finnbob the terror commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 6:14am

Drones and Jet ski's, shit combo.

regydogy's picture
regydogy's picture
regydogy commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 6:56am

boreing , at least massive attack was playing . bit sick of fucking drone and go pro footage .

adambol1's picture
adambol1's picture
adambol1 commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 9:18am

Great contrast between paddlers taking the drop and towies being slung down the shoulder. Either way the sound of the freight train behind would be enormous.

If it was easy everyone would do it.

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 9:34am

How's the shoulder hopping SUP pest at 22 seconds. Standard behaviour at 3ft Currumbin, surely no room for those shenanigans at XXL Mavericks.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 2:19pm

Look closer, red SUP even wider trying to paddle in, falls right near some paddlers. Pest as!

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 4:23pm

Yep what a classic, that's the one I was looking at

Walk around G's picture
Walk around G's picture
Walk around G commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 10:13am

Justine Dupont representing, she looked super comfortable taking on those mountains, were there any other females also charging?

Walk around G's picture
Walk around G's picture
Walk around G commented Tuesday, 19 Jan 2021 at 8:23pm

Ah, anyone else out there digesting this......

Justine Dupont, now at Pe'ahi.........

Seriously massive....total madwoman! Maybe the BIGGEST ridden/barrell so far.....like ever!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 5:24pm

Tow-in guys chasing the far outside peak, while paddle surfers sit on the normal takeoff. Good way to co-exist.

Agree re the extra perspective and scope, Stu

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer commented Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 11:56pm

Really not a fan of drone footage dosent give a proper perspective
of the size or how critical the waves are.

IF im not surfing im racing

tango's picture
tango's picture
tango commented Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 4:48pm

I'm with the drone detractors on this. The only good thing about the perspective is that it shows how thick the swells are and the volume of water you'd enjoy on the head if you blow one.

Much prefer the water level footage showing the height, steepness and thickness of the lip to scale.

Jet skis. A pox on humanity.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink commented Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:53pm

If I had the right board, could paddle like a demon and felt comfortable that I could hold my breath for 2 minutes plus, in an ice bath, while 6 bikies with anger issues beat me to a pulp, I'd totally be out there.

Err, on second thoughts ...

Lachlan Goodison's picture
Lachlan Goodison's picture
Lachlan Goodison commented Sunday, 17 Jan 2021 at 7:32pm

Kudos to the paddle in guys whilst the town ins do their thing. A guy in skis????
all we need is a goat boater, boogey boarder and a random selling chico rolls at the car park. Life is truly a box of chocolates

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink commented Sunday, 17 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm

Should be an upvote for that one Lachlan. I’ll have a double decaf with almond milk, and a twist of lemon.

SimpleSimonSwansea's picture
SimpleSimonSwansea's picture
SimpleSimonSwansea commented Sunday, 17 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm

WOW! inspirational Stu the music spot on. Hope all is good mate and keep up the good work!