Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 5:59pm

AFAIK the ore accessed was of a lesser grade? In mining boom 1 this was mooted, never got off the ground though I do believe land was cleared at the site. Native veg says thanks for that...

"We're no longer tying the development of Oakajee to the development of an iron ore export industry.

Maybe we could leave this little bit as a surf break and not whack a port on the reef? Although the September 2020 article doesn't mention a port, just a development of the proposed industrial area.

Can you imagine the protest movement? "Big Hydrogen Don't Surf"

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 17 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm

I’m just glad it never happened , plus if the Chinese were allowed to bring in their own workforce under the FTA Imagine the union uproar , would have been easy to blacklist the site. When sino iron started up at cape preston a friend who’s a boilermaker got put on their books for 14 months and was paid $1800 a week to do nothing , just sat in perth at home , they needed Australian citizens on their books to start up and it was a case of being in the right place at the right time .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 21 Jun 2021 at 5:16pm

An incoherent semi literate self serving piece of shit is our deputy prime minister.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 21 Jun 2021 at 5:29pm

Question: Who is worse - Scummo or The Beetroot?

I can’t decide.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Monday, 21 Jun 2021 at 6:00pm

No need to decide, they’re a package deal

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Jun 2021 at 6:07pm

Hot Mess Berejiklian is gambling on not only the health of NSW but the whole country ...

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 23 Jun 2021 at 8:04pm

Yes, Blowin, Treasury decides immigration numbers. Frightening.

And its decisions aren’t even about the economy as much as they are about politics. Pollies have been worshipping at the GDP altar and the easiest way to increase GDP is to increase immigration. This led to a number of quarters prior to Covid where we went backwards on GDP per capita. This led to a debate - where did this GDP per capita come from? Strangely, the only relevant figure if looking at GDP, a per capita figure, was never looked at by economists. It was an entirely new thought.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jun 2021 at 5:32am

Politicians don’t give a rat’s arse about GDP. They only care about mass importation of humans to satisfy the desires of their business masters.

GDP is a fig leaf used to hide the dirty reality. As if Scummo is concerned about some generic economic metric…..lol. He doesn’t care about anything beyond funnelling that cash in the right direction.

The bureaucrats and economists who waffle on about GDP are employed to install a veneer of respectability and strategy over the rort. There’s no plan beyond wealth extraction from the Australian populace and the nation’s natural assets.

Saying the political class is concerned about GDP is like saying a pick pocket only takes care not to use too heavy a touch because they don’t want to get dirt on the mark’s clothes.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 24 Jun 2021 at 6:20am

Imagine having an education system where all schools and tech colleges received funding based on what is needed to educate Australia’s population so that we could have a self reliant work force. Of course there was a glimpse of what could have been with Gonski.

Instead Australia voted in a mob that insists on privatisation for profit and elitism. Could have been, should have been but sucked in again. Nothing wrong with private education but I don’t see why there should be subsidies to free up money so that they can build another recreation hall or pay for advertising campaigns and the like while there are public schools in need of funding

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/rich-school-poor-school-australia...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/top-private-schools-build-up-multi-milli...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jun 2021 at 9:11am

And a big FCK YOU to all those who’ve stood on the throats of Australian workers for the past decade, by disputing these obvious facts. I’d dearly love to name those cnts who tried to gaslight the rest of us through maliciousness, spite, stupidity or whichever other personal deficit from which they suffer, but it’s best to not mention these clowns lest they decide to reappear and reclaim their positions as confirmed wank stains of the highest order.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/wage-recovery-could-arrive-s...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 25 Jun 2021 at 9:26am

F7455-EB0-A36-C-45-E1-8019-4173-F69-B4-A23

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 9:54am

I love this photo of Scummo.

At first glance it’s just a typical image of the perpetually smirking fcktard. Closer inspection reveals a bit more. Use something, a hand or whatever, to cover up his left eye and the remaining right side of his face is the harmless daggy Dad he wants the world to see. It’s when you cover up his right side of his face and leave HIS left that you’ll get a glimpse of the flint eyed cnt behind the shambling facade. Don’t ever think this talentless clown ever got where he was without being a soulless bovver boy piece of shit, who’ll trample over and through anyone and anything to get his grasping, greedy little way. It’s all on display in that captured moment on only one side of his face. The lack of empathy, the calculating maliciousness.

He doesn’t hold a hose, mate.

Then again…..maybe I’m reading too much into it?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 10:26am

How good is the the dynamic dud duo and their innovations...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm

I had to check the masthead, positive I was reading a Beetoota Advocate article. The fella quoted needs to be put on a chair facing the corner wearing a pointy hat with a large “D” on it.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/platypuses-and-other-australian-mamm...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 5:08pm

"Westerners unfavourably compare Australian animals to the “norm” of European animals, says Jack Ashby".

What a dickhead.

How good are racist stereotypes??

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 5:21pm

It does read like a Beetoota Advocate article.

I totally get how people back in the day or even now from other countries view some Australian animals as weird, many are quite different and unique.

Big kangaroos jumping around upright on two legs with a tail, platypus four legs and fur with a duck like bill that spends time in the water, and echidnas basically a ball of spikes.

And many like Kangaroos & echidnas aren't rare animals.

It's maybe only Africa that has such weird & unique animals.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm

"It has been claimed...." etc etc

"No other continent faces the same disparaging attitude toward its wildlife" etc etc

Article's a crock of shit.

Just one fella's opinion.

Huge amount of people hold Australia's wildlife in the highest esteem.
Where're his stats to back up his claims?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 8:50pm

well at least we have some animals left in this country unlike europe where you might be lucky to see a pigeon......they killed off everything pretty much a long time ago.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Sunday, 27 Jun 2021 at 9:08pm

And Australia proudly display the Kangaroo and Emu on our Coat of Arms.......
Which both happen to be the majority of sort after product for the pet food market.....
Just Saying...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 30 Jun 2021 at 5:05pm

It's just business as usual.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 30 Jun 2021 at 5:23pm

That’s so true that it’s not funny.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Wednesday, 30 Jun 2021 at 5:32pm

Bloody Scomo making birds wear masks! What's next?

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 1:22pm

A post script to Westofthelakes' cartoon the other day. Win at all costs, be damned about the future

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-01/two-reports-auditor-general-austr...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 3:24pm

551014-FB-7451-455-B-94-F3-149692-E91-FA9

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 5:33pm

Amazing how the Murdock Stokes and Costello media gaggle treated the Qld premier and health officer today, as compared to the cotton glove treament they gave in NSW. Labor state v LNP state? Jesus Christ our country's f*cked.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 5:49pm

If you think Aust is f*cked the problem is with you mate.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 6:18pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Amazing how the Murdock Stokes and Costello media gaggle treated the Qld premier and health officer today, as compared to the cotton glove treament they gave in NSW. Labor state v LNP state? Jesus Christ our country's f*cked.

Have you considered the fact that what they said was extremely irresponsible and not helpful to anyone but extremely damaging for Australia moving forward.

I dont see any other state leaders no matter Labor or Liberal saying such irresponsible things.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 5:25am

I might have missed the new medical advice on AZ so would be interested in seeing what it is because up until Monday the PM and Greg Hunt were saying the exact same thing as the Qld premier and health officer. So how can what they are saying be irresponsible?

Nothing about the recommendations for AZ has changed on the ATAGI website and they are in line with the comments from the health officer and premier

The PM says he always follows medical advice on this issue. Then on Monday he seems to have contradicted the same advice he has been following for the last few weeks.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:04am

The health advice for quite a long time has been AZ has very rare blood clot issues, these issues become rarer with age the 50 to 60 range become extremely low risk, im pretty sure most Aussie adults know this.

For perspective the clots are so rare that for a while they couldn't even work out if they were from AZ because they we consistent with blood clot rates in the general community, now add to that they can pick them up earlier and treat them better, the risk of death is super low.

Many countries still give AZ to all age groups because reality is it's much safer than all kinds of medication that people take everyday (much safer than many contraceptive pills)

This recent article compares risk, its literally about the same as being struck by lighting
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/risk-of-dying-from-a...

Nothing has changed except that Doctor's can now give AZ without fear of being sued if someone does get a blood clot.

So now people can go in and talk to there doctor who will give them the facts on the risk and make an informed decision, and weigh up the risk vs reward, lets remember we are talking adults, we arent kids we take risk every day we drive cars, drink alcohol, go surfing, no one is saying you have to take AZ.

The problem is when someone of her stature comes out saying stuff about not wanting 18 year olds dying, people like them are the ones creating the mixed messaging.

It's unhelpful to anyone and super irresponsible it's basically just scaremongering at a time when people already have over the top fear of AZ, and at a time when we have a lot of AZ and need to get people vaccinated.

Just a quick google and it's interesting that younger people are still getting it.

"Record daily dose number as younger Australians go for AstraZeneca"
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/record-daily-dose-number-but-no-...

"Australians under 40 explain why they have no hesitations getting the AstraZeneca vaccine"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-02/australians-under-40-excited-to-g...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:54am

@indo , I posted this on another thread and this adds to the confusion.

happyppl's picture
happyppl's picture
happyppl Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 10:50am

has anybody out there who's seen their doctor who have a medical history of shingles or malaria been told of possible relapse?
and if not why not?
read an article few days ago overseas studies show this is happening to lots(?) of such people.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 1:17pm

@happyppl , its a good question, you won’t be asked these questions at a vaccination clinic, having a thorough discussion with your GP about any past history that concerns you is important . I spoke to my GP about AF before getting the jab .

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm

Everything you put up there is correct Indo, no problems with that.

But the PM and Greg Hunt have been saying for weeks that AZ should now go to the older age groups and younger people should only get Pfizer. They never mentioned doctors liabilities at the time and that was never put across as the reason for the changes. They broadcast the recommendations. Then in a snap brain fart the PM comes out and says the opposite.

The PM is the top honcho of the country and he said don’t use Astrazeneca if you’re in the older age group. No one accused him of scare mongering, but all of sudden the Qld premier cops it from the media for saying the same thing. Go figure

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 5:44pm
happyppl wrote:

has anybody out there who's seen their doctor who have a medical history of shingles or malaria been told of possible relapse?
and if not why not?
read an article few days ago overseas studies show this is happening to lots(?) of such people.

I had shingles about 15 years ago, thankfully no relapse since then. Ive heard others have though. Are you talking about related to covid or vaccines though?
Tbh i havent given shingles much thought in many years, ive moved countries and then changed doctors a couple times and i dont think ive even discussed it, maybe i should?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 6:17pm

@nomad 1 , are you living in Denmark or Norway I can’t remember ? How’s the rollout going there ?

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 11:03pm
Supafreak wrote:

@nomad 1 , are you living in Denmark or Norway I can’t remember ? How’s the rollout going there ?

Oslo, Norway. It has really sped up in the last few weeks actually. Starting maybe 2 weeks ago my age group (late 30's) started getting texts about booking a timeslot for their first shot. Took quite a few people by surprise. Currently pretty much everyone is getting Pfizer but i saw one guy i know got Moderna (diff age group, diff part of the city and from an ethnic group ive been told has been harder hit by Covid- so not sure if thats a reason). Currently they automatically are booking people into their 2nd appointment 12 weeks after the first.
I got "lucky" because, i had some gall stone issue in Feb and am waiting on getting that removed so my GP said that got me into a higher risk category. So i got my first shot early may and second one a couple weeks ago. Felt a bit tired and sore arm the next day but really not a big deal- same for virtually everyone i know except 1 woman who was super tired and slept for about a day (she says).

Ive spoken to 2 friends that had Covid over the last year. They both apparently only need 1 shot. 1 of them though was convinced he had a false positive so got an antibody test that showed he did infact have it at some point.

I havent followed how it is in other parts of the country. Oslo was hardest hit so at some point i think they pivoted to focus vaccinations on places with more cases rather than country wide. Makes sense when parts of the country had been running relatively normally for a while whilst Oslo was shutdown from Nov-May

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 11:11pm

So did they totally flick AZ ? I knew Denmark had .

Cacadajy's picture
Cacadajy's picture
Cacadajy Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 7:42am

I posted on the other (slightly insane) thread.

I am 46 and had 1st jab of AZ yesterday at a GP clinic but not my normal GP as I couldn't get in for quite some time.

GP clinic required me to have my medical history/notes forwarded to them and did a reasonably detailed interview with me outlining the risks. Overall a very simple process.

As I mentioned in the other thread I just reckon a community with high vaccination rates will have a better economic outcome and perhaps lead us to a more normal normal faster.

I get that some people are sceptical about vaccines and perhaps the speed they were developed and the testing of their safety.

Ultimately I am just all in for vaccinating as much of the population as possible because surely we can't keep chasing this thing with lock downs and border closures indefinitely.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 4:21pm

Our Future?...

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 11:07pm
Blowin wrote:

Politicians don’t give a rat’s arse about GDP. They only care about mass importation of humans to satisfy the desires of their business masters.

GDP is a fig leaf used to hide the dirty reality. As if Scummo is concerned about some generic economic metric…..lol.

I’ll just pull you up there Blowin. You’re all over the place.

The only thing they care about is GDP, because two quarters of negative growth and it’s called a technical recession, and no politician wants that on their epitaph.

I can only assume you came down with the last shower and haven’t been watching politics and economic churnalism for the last 40 years.

But it’s important for you to have an argument with whoever posted last, so I acknowledge that.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 11:09pm
batfink wrote:
Blowin wrote:

GDP is a fig leaf used to hide the dirty reality. As if Scummo is concerned about some generic economic metric…..lol.

The only thing they care about is GDP, because two quarters of negative growth and it’s called a technical recession, and no politician wants that on their epitaph.

I can only assume you came down with the last shower and haven’t been watching politics and economic churnalism for the last 40 years.

But I recognise that it’s important for you to have an argument with whoever posted last..

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 11:10pm
Blowin wrote:

But I recognise that it’s important for you to have an argument with whoever posted last.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 6:17am

We aren’t arguing. You just confirmed what I said. Scummo doesn’t care about any of these arbitrary and inherently falsifiable terms. He just cares about gouging as much profit as he possibly can whilst in office and building a pile of favours owed to him for when he quits politics.

GDP, Technical recession, the determination of who is employed, skills shortages, CPI, inflation index - These are all terms which have been perverted beyond any real meaning and usefulness in order to hide the bastardry this filth gets up to.

All of those metrics and means to quantify Australia’s economic state are so rubbery and fantastical that they may as well be pulled blind out of a hat.

GDP- Such a precise measure of Australian wealth and productivity! If Scummo built a road which literally went nowhere and serviced nothing and no one, it would count as a positive on the GDP number. As would the expense of ripping it up. GDP is basically meaningless. GDP is as realistic as the employment statistics. Therefore any term based on GDP such as technical recession is equally meaningless. It’s all Econo Speak lies.

I’m sure there’s an economist out there who would argue otherwise, but economics is just a poorly paid division of marketing , so I’m not too concerned what they’ve got to say.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 6:42am
Supafreak wrote:

So did they totally flick AZ ? I knew Denmark had .

Yes, No AZ here. Tbh ive stopped following all the wider goings on in europe but my understanding is that they went a bit counter to EU recommendations on that one. Norway isnt EU but are quite closely linked and when sourcing vaccines said that they would follow EU recommendations. Its a bit annoying theyve gone with the slower option both times but picking and choosing when to follow the EU. In anycase there is an election at the end of the year so i think that explains the caution.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 7:29am

Thanks nomad 1 , hope all goes well for you .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 9:00am
batfink wrote:
Blowin wrote:

The only thing they care about is GDP, because two quarters of negative growth and it’s called a technical recession, and no politician wants that on their epitaph..

I rarely agree with you and generally agree with Blowin.

But totally agree, to a politician especially the PM and their party it's all about the economy/GDP its the most important aspect of getting re-elected.

Maybe im totally naive, but i also don't buy this idea that politicians are all in it for the money or even it's all about being hungry on power, sure these two things also help drive them, but i think most get into it for the right reasons, based on their social ideals and political beliefs etc

But yeah as time goes on they may lose or even appear to lose sight of their ideals, because so much compromise is needed just within the party and then with what is going to be popular with public or get you elected and how the opposition will also paint things etc

The best example of this is Peter Garrett, does anyone think he was in it for the money?...i dont agree with his politics, but im sure he really thought he could make a difference, but look at how much compromise he needed to make, even his fans were calling him a sell out claiming he was in it for the money

It's no different with any person in politics, we just dont have 30 years of them telling us what their ideals are.

BTW. Yeah sure all these aspects/figures etc around the economy are fudged where possible to look as good as possible, but the general public also knows when things go to shit economically because we live it, things can only be fudged to a certain point.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 9:24am

I think GDP is a bit of a smokescreen; by my understanding you really need to look at per capita GDP to get a clearer picture.

I've posted this before but when you have a United States Federal Reserve Bank pointing out that per capita GDP in Australia has actually fallen, it's worth taking into consideration.

Without extremely high rates of population growth, Australia would have had multiple recessions in the past 30 years.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2019/september/australia-28-ye...