Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 7:03am

Different priorities I guess, besides the Premiers are taking care of all the important stuff. Except the vaccine rollout, but that is under control...apparently

When he announced the scrapping of the vaccine roll out target that had no chance of being met he did it late Sunday night on Facebook and then didn’t front the media for five days.

The day the Auditor Generals report about the $660mil carpark rort came out he fronted the media in full view of the nation and announced the Astrazenica restrictions.

Definitely the master of slight of hand and distractions

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 8:30am
Sheepdog wrote:

So it's a competition indo? Then why didn't NSW learn from Vicco mistakes? And why are you counting nursing home numbers, they're a Fed responsibilty, where Federal lib aged care minister allowed cleaners to travel to 3 even 4 different aged care homes in ONE DAY, NOT WEARING masks, spreading it to residents. And why are u comparing wuhan covid to delta covid?

Oh please get a new line the old, nursing homes being feds responsibility is pathetic, no quarantine fuck ups and BLM protest and no Covid running through the community = no deaths it's that simple.

And yeah comparing Wuhan strain to Delta strain is different, Vic infection rates and deaths would be much much higher if it had been the Delta strain.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 8:34am

BTW. speaking of nursing homes, how weird is it that all states will require staff get Covid vaccine but Victoria won't?

Wonder how or why or by whom it was decided in Vic it wont be compulsory?

Pretty weird.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 8:39am

Pretty simple. Unions in Vic won't agree to it so Dan has to acquiesce.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 8:55am

Really?

I can't find too much on the story, other than it was the Victorian health minister and not premier that made the call.

It's weird makes no sense at all, if other states are doing it so should Vic.

And i do get why its taken this long to make it mandatory, because as it is its very hard to get aged care workers, the work is super crappy and underpaid, its highly likely making it mandatory will make it harder to get workers and im sure some will even quit their jobs because of it.

My wife works in aged care and although her employers are quite good, both her bosses which are registered nurses are true Anti vaxers they have somehow found a way not to get the mandatory flu jab and would be very happy they dont have to get covid vax (one doesnt even believe Covid is real)

My wife as soon as she heard the news that aged care workers must get the jab booked herself in to get Pfizer in a months or so though so will still get the vax anyway (also booked me in)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 9:00am
indo-dreaming wrote:

BTW. speaking of nursing homes, how weird is it that all states will require staff get Covid vaccine but Victoria

Wonder how or why or by whom it was decided in Vic it wont be compulsory? ..... ask Hunt and Morrison info

Pretty weird.

For the sake of accuracy there are Aged Care facilities run by the Vic State Govt and those run, approved, regulated, monitored and funded by the Federal Govt. the state run facilities had very low (relative terms) deaths and now have very very high vaccination rates among residents and staff whereas it was the Federal govt facilities that sadly experienced the vast vast majority deaths and has, still can you believe it, low vaccination rates with staff.

It’s the Federal Morrison govt’s gross failures your highlighting Noddy .... cha cha cha

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 9:24am

So Guy can you provide a half decent reason why all the other states are making Covid vax in aged care mandatory but Vic isn't?

Surely even you cant defend Vic state government on this one, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

Trying to some how blame the federal government is crazy, it seems we have a pattern from day one with Covid where Victoria just wanted to do things differently, it was the major reason why we had the first large covid wave when they didnt run quarantine as suggested and didnt use ADF etc, same deal with lockdowns, while all the other states had reasonable lockdown measures like allowing fishing, Victoria had very different unreasonable draconian type rules.

Personally i dont get it, its such a dangerous game to play, at least if you follow other states when FK ups happen you can say, well we did the same as everyone else, i guess the real problem is Dan is super cocky as sadly we dont have much of an opposition in Victoria.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 9:51am

Your news source info?

For the 2nd time

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 11:15am

Earth to info
Earth to info

Your news source info for the 3rd time info otherwise it’s just more more cha cha cha ....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 11:23am

News source on what aspect of the post?

All aspects of my post have been reported and even talked about here.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 11:45am

More bullshit info, just list one news site that reports on Victoria not requiring age care staff to be vaccinated. Just one info

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 12:07pm
GuySmiley wrote:

More bullshit info, just list one news site that reports on Victoria not requiring age care staff to be vaccinated. Just one info

"COVID-19 vaccines in Australia: Jabs to be mandatory for aged care workers in all States but Victoria

Aged care workers will be forced to get COVID-19 vaccines if they wish to remain employed in the sector in every State but Victoria, after National Cabinet met today.

Scott Morrison revealed States and Territories agreed to put in place public health orders that mandated the vaccine for aged care workers.

He said Victoria’s decision not to do so was made by the State’s chief health officer, not its Premier."

https://thewest.com.au/news/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-in-australia-j...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 12:58pm

I left work at the end of June this year to become full time carer for my elderly mother ( hospitalised 3 times in the last 3 weeks for various issues ) it will take Centerlink 49 days to view and decide on my carer payment claim . Today they wanted a balance of a account number that I don't have . Turns out after 2 hours at Centrelink that it’s a transaction number from my statement to savings account . If it takes 49 days to do one claim ( with incompetence ) how is the government going to do all the claims for businesses and people claiming loss of hours and income as a result of the current lockdowns ?

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 2:10pm

Can't answer your question superfreak.....But good on you for taking care of your mum......

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 2:21pm

Yep look after mum
Dig deep to find out exactly what discounts etc that Carer pension / payment entitles you to
Eg : Full Payment while O.S. for 6 weeks a year

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 2:25pm

@megzee my dad RIP was 2 years in a nursing home bedridden, couldn’t stand on his own but his mind was still brilliant. We moved back from Bali and had the last month with him , think he was holding on to see his granddaughter whom he adored . We had come back too tweed for a couple of holidays . I swore to mum that I wouldn’t let her be put in aged care and as she sacrificed much for me it wasn’t a hard decision.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 2:37pm

Thanks udo, I will remember that , I will need a break as she’s got early dementia and its a bit stressful at times . Got 2 sisters that can fill in while I’m gone .

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 2:39pm

You beauty SF......Your dear old mum will have a better lease on life with you, your wife and her granddaughter with her.
My old man is as smart as a whip, but his body is failing at 88, and he still has mum by his side......after 65 years of marriage......
Like I said, good on ya Super and to all the people who take care of aging or invalid family........

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 3:17pm

"My wife works in aged care and although her employers are quite good, both her bosses which are registered nurses are true Anti vaxers they have somehow found a way not to get the mandatory flu jab and would be very happy they dont have to get covid vax (one doesnt even believe Covid is real)"

that is interesting...

it seems to be quite common amongst nurses, and apparently they are having some difficulties getting many nurses to get vaccinated

no judgement there, just interesting... but you've gotta wonder, if one of those nurses believes the virus is not real, how would she explain the total medical system overload and people dying in indo.?

common flu?

my work has encouraged flu vaccinations for years, never ever took it, didn't really see the need, ...just seemed to be another classic australian ocd, role justifying, nanny state, money spinner for all the wrong people...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 3:21pm

yep, much respect supafreak, it's difficult to commit to looking after ya oldies, especially when the system makes it quite easy not to...

which is probably why oz has highest numbers of oldies in care in the world

which is nothing to be proud of

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 3:21pm

Yeah i have no idea how she can not think Covid is not real, and she isn't some right wing or left wing nutcase or new age universe type person, she is just your everyday forty something mum.

She mostly works in the office area and even went to the extent of getting a dividing wall built, which somehow meant she was isolated and could avoid getting the standard flue vaccine that is mandatory.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 3:27pm

Good on you Supafreak.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 3:54pm

"If it takes 49 days to do one claim ( with incompetence ) how is the government going to do all the claims for businesses and people claiming loss of hours and income as a result of the current lockdowns ?"

Supafreak before you get to that stage you have to register with MyGov then link whatever government department is dealing with the claims to your MyGov account. I think it's easier to get a PHD than register on MyGov

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 4:03pm

@garyg , the 49 days is a “ estimated “ time to process claim , it’s been 16 days so far . How long did it take the bushfire victims to get financial support? Listening to the pollies on the news today saying that people effected by the lockdowns would receive payments as soon as possible had me thinking, yeah heard that one before .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 5:03pm

info re: your 12.07 and the link The West Australian of 9/7/21.

Yet this Commonwealth Govt link of 16/7/21 (as an example of many available via a simple google search) says clearly ALL workers ..... https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/inf...

As I have previously explained - here in Victoria the state govt (159 facilities) run aged care facilities as does the Commonwealth (611 facilities). It is the Commonwealth facilities where the vast majority of tragic deaths occurred during 2020 and it is also the C'wealth facilities where the poor vaccination rate issues emerged early this year for both residents and staff. The last time I heard nationally only 40% of staff in C'wealth facilities are vaccinated. The State run facilities enjoy very high rates of vaccination both amounts residents and staff and have done so since vaccinations were available under 1a priority group.

Info if your wife works in an aged care facility hopefully the can explain to you in great detail the importance of Infection Control, it is one of the many C'wealth Govt mandated outcome standards that all facilities MUST met to retain C'wealth govt accreditation, operational approval and funding. Outcome Stds are regularly monitored by C'wealth Govt funded Accreditation Agency staff. The end, there has been a gross failure in C'wealth funded/run aged care.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 5:13pm

When I applied for care payment my wife who has permanent residency for over 2 years now registered with job seeker. We knew she’s not entitled to payments as its 4 years for new immigrants. They happily registered her and told us to go to local job provider. Tursa , when we got there said they can’t do anything for her ,unless she has a referral from Centerlink . I told tursa my wife was looking for a cleaning job and they said we have hundreds of jobs for cleaners just get the referral and we can hook her up with a job. So back to the line at Centerlink and eventually spoke with them who clearly told me ( repeatedly ) she can’t be referred unless she’s receiving payment . At this stage I was getting a bit hot under the collar and was given a number to call to make a complaint. Rang complaints and was then referred to another complaints department . Also wrote a written complaint through mygov and lastly rang the local member for tweed and made another complaint. All were sympathetic but legislation is legislation. Lucky country yes but the system sometimes sucks .

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 5:43pm

Superfreak, I am not making light of your plight as it sounds like typical, time wasting bureaucratic frustration...Hope it all works out for you.
But somehow it reminds me of this.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 5:50pm

Supa have a play on centrelink payment calculator may not be worth your wife earning to much ...
over a certain amount your payment gets cut by 40 %.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 5:57pm

@megzee , thanks for the laugh , it’s good for the soul. 654-EBBF5-3717-40-D9-848-A-511-C8261-B40-F
you in vietnamese

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 6:02pm

@udo , yeah I know what ya mean, bit confused by the legislation. If wife gets a job she pays tax and my payment will decrease so its a win for the government and keeping mum at home is also a savings on the system. All a bit MAD .

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 6:13pm

Yeah mate, Trying to get home closer to my dear old parents and family for a while.......
Thought I was close a few weeks ago, but Aussie changed the incoming numbers rule.....
Vietnam 132 COVID Deaths to date
2050 Motorbike fatalities since beginning of 2021
https://ibb.co/Qp6Hw0h

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 7:39pm

So it begins….excommunicated by Sky news.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm

So it begins….excommunicated by Sky news.

On your bike ya sweaty corrupt cnt.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 19 Jul 2021 at 5:28pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 19 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 19 Jul 2021 at 5:34pm
GuySmiley wrote:

info re: your 12.07 and the link The West Australian of 9/7/21.

Yet this Commonwealth Govt link of 16/7/21 (as an example of many available via a simple google search) says clearly ALL workers ..... https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/inf...

As I have previously explained - here in Victoria the state govt (159 facilities) run aged care facilities as does the Commonwealth (611 facilities). It is the Commonwealth facilities where the vast majority of tragic deaths occurred during 2020 and it is also the C'wealth facilities where the poor vaccination rate issues emerged early this year for both residents and staff. The last time I heard nationally only 40% of staff in C'wealth facilities are vaccinated. The State run facilities enjoy very high rates of vaccination both amounts residents and staff and have done so since vaccinations were available under 1a priority group.

Info if your wife works in an aged care facility hopefully the can explain to you in great detail the importance of Infection Control, it is one of the many C'wealth Govt mandated outcome standards that all facilities MUST met to retain C'wealth govt accreditation, operational approval and funding. Outcome Stds are regularly monitored by C'wealth Govt funded Accreditation Agency staff. The end, there has been a gross failure in C'wealth funded/run aged care.

Missed this reply.

Well i guess we will just have to wait and see but as i have shown with the link it seems some media have reported otherwise and staff and my wife's work are thinking its optional.

BTW. im obviously not arguing it shouldn't be mandatory, i think it should be, and she is happy to get Covid jab, but others including her two bosses at her work are strongly opposed.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 19 Jul 2021 at 9:55pm

Good on you Supafreak taking on the care of your Mum its a big job, my brother took on the roll for our mother and after 5 years it nearly broke him as it became 24hrs a day, take care.

As for support, home care assistance etc just keep at it talk to as many people as you can to find out what the go is in your area centre link is torture.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 20 Jul 2021 at 10:41am

@info, Aged Care is a generic term. It can mean low and high care facilities, formerly known as Hostels and Nursing Homes and it also can mean Supported Residential Care (SRC) facilities. The C'wealth govt funds, accredits. approves, monitors, regulates etc low and high care facilities and they are run by State Govts, not for profits e.g. churches and private businesses (the majority). Here in Vic there are 770 of these facilities atm and the residents and staff of all these facilities will be vaccinated, as mandated by the Federal Covid cabinet. This sector of Aged Care is highly regulated (from a nursing and medical point of view because of the frailty of residents) and I strongly doubt any wholesale anti vax resistance would exist there. From what you say about your wife's bosses attitude to vaccination I suspect she works at a SRC. From my experience there are the rare good one and most commonly bad SRCs and the bad ones are right proper dodgy. You might remember the Vic Govt needing to urgently take control of a few last year where the staff all walked out having not been paid and management/owners operating insolvent. SRCs are loosely regulated more like rooming houses than anything else and are mostly to be avoided. If your wife does work at a SRC best she uses her time there as a stepping stone to a C'wealth facility if she plans a career in aged care.

@Supafreak, Home Care Assistance Packages for frail aged relatives can be accessed via the family doctor who can arranged an Aged Care Assessment Team to assess the care needs of your family member. Another area of C'wealth Govt responsibility that is seriously underfunded so good luck.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 20 Jul 2021 at 11:02am

@Guy Smiley , thanks for that , mum has been getting help from the her local medical centre. She was assessed last year for memory and other issues and scored 28 out of 30 which was good , however this year she scored 19 out of 30 , a fairly rapid decline . Went for a MRI brain scan that totally freaked her out and she blacked out with 30 seconds to go . Ended up in tweed hospital overnight and home next day . She also has a Unity plan but to me most of the money goes to admin fees . Its a bit like the disabilities racket and some sort of review needs to happen .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 20 Jul 2021 at 1:06pm

@Guy

Not sure, but i must say that's the only small negative thing about her workplace/employers which doesn't really bother her, she otherwise gets on very well with her bosses and they are really good employer in how they treat staff, work conditions and flexibility with hours and holidays etc even regular pay increases.

Which is very different to her experiences in hospitality here in Australia, where whenever she went for a job at an Asian run place they would only offer her cash or a per night rate (both below award wage), and one large place she worked for down here she had to hound them to get her super payed..

She use to be a radio announcer in Indonesia (even with a fan following) so kind of had to start back at the bottom when came to Australia.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 7:45am

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 11:58am

From Pauline Hanson re. Matilda's holding up an Aboriginal Australian Flag...
“Athletes in the Australian Olympic team are there representing all Australians on the biggest of international stages,” Senator Hanson said in a Thursday press release. “Indigenous flags don’t represent all Australians. There’s only one flag which truly represents all of us.
“Taxpayers don’t shell out millions of dollars to send Olympic teams to represent two nations. We’re one nation, Australia, indigenous and non-indigenous alike."
In a double-negative of gargantuan proportions, politician Hanson declared that "Australians are sick and tired of their favourite sports being ruined by politics".

Personally i saw it as a gesture of inclusion, not division. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 12:10pm

To be accurate, the Matildas weren't holding up two flags but three.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 12:27pm

Penny for Pauline's thoughts on the "change the flag" debate.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 1:12pm
stunet wrote:

To be accurate, the Matildas weren't holding up two flags but three.

Was it all done separately?...like click with one flag, click with the next etc?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 1:18pm

I think you can easily save yourself a penny pops...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 1:35pm

i don't really care if the carry the aboriginal flag or not

if they have an indigenous player, i say good on em...

if they don't, then i really question their motivations, and I'd love an interview or spokesperson to explain why they feel they have the need or right to do so...

and what it is they actually aim to achieve by doing so?

it all seems just a bit too cliche, tiresome and arbritrary to me, but I'm happy to be schooled and corrected...

didn't see it, but the whole taking the knee thing sounds totally cringeworthy...

we are not the US, we don't need their bullshit

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 1:36pm
sypkan wrote:

i don't really care if the carry the aboriginal flag or not

if they have an indigenous player, i say good on em...

if they don't, then i really question their motivations, and I'd love an interview or spokesperson to explain why they feel they have the need or right to do so... and what it is they actually aim to achieve?

it all seems just a bit too cliche and tiresome to me, but I'm happy to be schooled and corrected...

didn't see it, but the whole taking the knee thing sounds totally cringeworthy...

we are not the US, we don't need their bullshit

100% my thoughts.

From what ive read it seems they didn't use the Aussie flag just the Aboriginal one.

You have to wonder where this comes from, the girls themselves someone above?

What the point trying to be made?...it's just weird and yeah if no one is in the team that is indigenous what even makes them feel it's okay to use another groups flag?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 1:48pm

ok, i just saw they have indigenous players...

good on em, wave it high and proud

take a knee... still totally cringeworthy

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 23 Jul 2021 at 2:00pm

Support for indigenous people is rising. Just as the desire for truth and real healing. It an't going away. It ant all going to be pretty. Positive change starts with us. We can't wait to be lead to a better future. The leading bodies have shown us this in a number of areas. We have to create and inspire ourselves. Not all will agree or even understand the motivations surfacing. Change can be accelerated through positive action and unifying. Bringing issues to the front and keeping them in the spotlight is vital. Positive change is wanted and needed. Be that spark. Fuel the desire for positive change. Gestures of love and respect never hurt any one. Division stalls the prosperity and harmony of our country. Be apart of the solution. Push for positive change. Speak up. Stand up