All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 9:23pm

That's fantastic to hear. There is hope for humanity!

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 9:32pm

Agreed

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 6:55am

Sunday Message...Blinded by the light
Saul of Tarsus was travelling along the Damascus road. It a famous event in history and well known by everyone. He was on his way to arrest and have more Christians put to death for their faith and was very good and organised at it...All of a sudden he was surrounded by a blinding light and could no longer see..A voice called him saying Saul Saul why do you persecute me...His reply....Who are you Lord?...the answer..I am Jesus who you are persecuting...
I can almost hear Sauls thoughts of "Oh Shit" at this point....the damascus conversion was an amazing event in history and Saul became Paul the Apostle of Jesus Christ. He wrote many books of the new testament, as the bible itself is a book made of smaller books and one of our greatest historical records covering the civilisations of man, as well as the 4000 year old adventures and history of Israel and back to ancient peoples before them.
This forum / thread has been misunderstood by many as an attack on modern people by some of us who follow the ancient teachings and text of God in the bible. People like myself are far from perfect and have our own issues to sort out before we stand before an almighty and powerful and very Holy creator who will demand an account of what you did with the gift of life He gave you...How will you stand when you have the spotlight of God aimed squarely on you. I would not survive and therefore accepted the gift of the sacrifice of Jesus the Christ on the cross to substitute for me...He took our sins and began a slow transforming process to prepare us for the next step of our eternal growth, a promise of a new world unpolluted after the fall of both angels and men. Satan the god of this world (Matthew chapter 4 ..8,9,10) has a short term lease on the planet due to our rebellion, but that will soon change.
People like me who quote teachings from scripture have no malice toward anyone. In fact, the charities we work in as well as the ones I have personally founded with my own hands help people of all walks including the poor and abused, single parents and their children, ex cons, homosexual people who want to regain a natural life life again. Two of my old and great friends who came to live with my family for a while were originally a gay man and a gay woman. They started coming to our church and gave their lives to Christ separately. The transformation was amazing and it was so funny that they fell in love with each other and had 3 beautiful girls...Great people in the medical world and I saw bondage and confusion turn to peace and joy as they embraced the natural path God had for them.
Regarding you statements on gay preachers.....there are not any...unless they are imposters.
God is very clear on the matter that whatever thing He disapproves of in your life needs to be addressed whatever that may be as you are heading into eternity and He loves His children and wants them sorted. He will not have rebellion ever again in His new world. Those days will be over and the final perfected kingdom of the free thinking free choosing humanity will begin.
References on sexuality as well as those who rebel...St Paul..Romans chapter 1 verses 21-32

21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like [a]corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their [b]women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the [c]men, leaving the natural use of the [d]woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [e]sexual immorality, wickedness, [f]covetousness, [g]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [h]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [i]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
And again...1 Corinthians chapter 6 ....9-11.
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

So in closing, you see that my personal opinion is irrelevant on any subject, the thing is, if we want to move forward we have to obey Gods way as even though we don't fully understand why...Dad knows best... as He can see much further down the track and knows where it leads.
I would feel like a fraud if I didn't bother to warn people to seek God and His ways. He only has your best interest at heart and has a strong personal discipline that He wants us to follow.
I know that this will be ripped on by many but its my job to say it and I wish everyone including those who hate me most all the best with your futures and and families...take time to seek God...ask Him what He wants from you..ask for the truth no matter where it takes you......the rest will take care of itself......This is my final post..personal opinions here are no longer valued or debated here without twisting it into something toxic...I also am allowing people to mock Jesus which will end badly for you...something I wouldn't want for anyone....My views and others like me are simply presenting Gods views which are eternal not modern.
....Peace be to you in the name Jesus Christ..the Son of the Most High....
Optimist out....

dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 7:27am

Yes it will be ripped to shreds, or better still removed, because it is about as toxic as it gets.
"Peace be to you in the name Jesus Christ" - Everything you wrote before that renders the statement an oxymoron.
Hope you do manage to find true peace one day and reconsider the "enlightenment" you found while living a community cultivating weed and searching through cow pats.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 7:41am

Optimist, since you raised the subject again, I am going to ask you the same question I asked brutus. Do you believe homosexuality is against god's law?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 7:53am

Oh faaaark. Optimist the head bigot is back trying to justify his hate and inability to see destruction.

I don’t think anyone hates Optimist..he is just the indoctrinated idiot poster…with the usual hate post that he is too stupid to realise is a hate post.

Sunday fairy tales with made up beings…:)

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 8:01am

“Originally a gay man and a gay woman”…….actually, are still a gay man and a gay woman.

Gawd, the delusion on show is as expected.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 8:13am

Bonza, where do you get homophobe from ?

It must be nice to have a religion where the spiritual leader can completely change his beliefs ...now that's something you can have faith in and there's a solid foundation of belief...well this decade anyhow!

bonza wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

Bonza I think you need to carefully reread my last couple of posts, I think you have misinterpreted what I’ve said.

Maybe I have. But my point remains. If optimist and Brutus are homophobes so is any Buddhist.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 8:20am

unlike Buddhism , Gods law, the direction for a good meaningful life is written in the Bible......it's the foundation of Christianity......you don't try and negotiate and change the laws according to what a person wants!

GuySmiley wrote:

I think you will find the context of the recent discussion on homosexuality with optimist and brutus was the infallibility of the word of their one true god i.e. their god no other is incapable of ever being wrong.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 8:43am

RK ever hear of anybody sexually experimenting ??

Roadkill wrote:

“Originally a gay man and a gay woman”…….actually, are still a gay man and a gay woman.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 9:18am

Optimist , thanks for the Sunday message...thanx for sharing and caring.......I know you have probably done more for disadvantaged people than all of us combined here......no matter what color/creed or who ever needs it.....

I'll leave you with Proverbs 25:25-27..
." Good news from far away, is like cold water to the thirsty,
If the Godly give in to the wicked, it's like polluting a fountain or muddying a spring,
It's not good to eat too much honey, and it's not good to seek honors for yourself!"

Optimist wrote:

Sunday Message...Blinded by the light
Saul of Tarsus was travelling along the Damascus road. It a famous event in history and well known by everyone. He was on his way to arrest and have more Christians put to death for their faith and was very good and organised at it...All of a sudden he was surrounded by a blinding light and could no longer see..A voice called him saying Saul Saul why do you persecute me...His reply....Who are you Lord?...the answer..I am Jesus who you are persecuting...
I can almost hear Sauls thoughts of "Oh Shit" at this point....the damascus conversion was an amazing event in history and Saul became Paul the Apostle of Jesus Christ. He wrote many books of the new testament, as the bible itself is a book made of smaller books and one of our greatest historical records covering the civilisations of man, as well as the 4000 year old adventures and history of Israel and back to ancient peoples before them.
This forum / thread has been misunderstood by many as an attack on modern people by some of us who follow the ancient teachings and text of God in the bible. People like myself are far from perfect and have our own issues to sort out before we stand before an almighty and powerful and very Holy creator who will demand an account of what you did with the gift of life He gave you...How will you stand when you have the spotlight of God aimed squarely on you. I would not survive and therefore accepted the gift of the sacrifice of Jesus the Christ on the cross to substitute for me...He took our sins and began a slow transforming process to prepare us for the next step of our eternal growth, a promise of a new world unpolluted after the fall of both angels and men. Satan the god of this world (Matthew chapter 4 ..8,9,10) has a short term lease on the planet due to our rebellion, but that will soon change.
People like me who quote teachings from scripture have no malice toward anyone. In fact, the charities we work in as well as the ones I have personally founded with my own hands help people of all walks including the poor and abused, single parents and their children, ex cons, homosexual people who want to regain a natural life life again. Two of my old and great friends who came to live with my family for a while were originally a gay man and a gay woman. They started coming to our church and gave their lives to Christ separately. The transformation was amazing and it was so funny that they fell in love with each other and had 3 beautiful girls...Great people in the medical world and I saw bondage and confusion turn to peace and joy as they embraced the natural path God had for them.
Regarding you statements on gay preachers.....there are not any...unless they are imposters.
God is very clear on the matter that whatever thing He disapproves of in your life needs to be addressed whatever that may be as you are heading into eternity and He loves His children and wants them sorted. He will not have rebellion ever again in His new world. Those days will be over and the final perfected kingdom of the free thinking free choosing humanity will begin.
References on sexuality as well as those who rebel...St Paul..Romans chapter 1 verses 21-32

21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like [a]corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their [b]women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the [c]men, leaving the natural use of the [d]woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [e]sexual immorality, wickedness, [f]covetousness, [g]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [h]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [i]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
And again...1 Corinthians chapter 6 ....9-11.
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

So in closing, you see that my personal opinion is irrelevant on any subject, the thing is, if we want to move forward we have to obey Gods way as even though we don't fully understand why...Dad knows best... as He can see much further down the track and knows where it leads.
I would feel like a fraud if I didn't bother to warn people to seek God and His ways. He only has your best interest at heart and has a strong personal discipline that He wants us to follow.
I know that this will be ripped on by many but its my job to say it and I wish everyone including those who hate me most all the best with your futures and and families...take time to seek God...ask Him what He wants from you..ask for the truth no matter where it takes you......the rest will take care of itself......This is my final post..personal opinions here are no longer valued or debated here without twisting it into something toxic...I also am allowing people to mock Jesus which will end badly for you...something I wouldn't want for anyone....My views and others like me are simply presenting Gods views which are eternal not modern.
....Peace be to you in the name Jesus Christ..the Son of the Most High....
Optimist out....

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 9:38am
brutus wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

You really are clueless.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 9:56am

“ It must be nice to have a religion where the spiritual leader can completely change his beliefs .”

Doesn’t sound like a bad thing.
Imagine that, a leader that has the strength, humility and wisdom to change their opinion as facts and societal progress require.
By that measure, virtually all politicians would fail the test.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

You really are clueless.

Deep RK......I get that you think you are supporting the gay community by teaching your kids that everyone is equal......how many people do you know that have experimented with sexuality?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:07am

"Gods law, the direction for a good meaningful life is written in the Bible......it's the foundation of Christianity......you don't try and negotiate and change the laws according to what a person wants!"

But you only follow bits of the bible. Well I hope so. I think you need to explain how you decide which bits to follow and which bits to ignore. If you cannot negotiate or change god's laws, what about this clear instruction from Leviticus?

" “‘If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire."

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
AndyM wrote:

“ It must be nice to have a religion where the spiritual leader can completely change his beliefs .”

Imagine that, a leader that has the strength, humility and wisdom to change their opinion as facts and societal progress require.

Andy....money and power corrupt our politicians , democracy gets corrupted because lobby groups are the ones that run the Governments ......so what you are talking about is a benevolent dictator.....so how do you choose someone you can trust and know that they are who they say they are?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

You really are clueless.

Deep RK......I get that you think you are supporting the gay community by teaching your kids that everyone is equal......how many people do you know that have experimented with sexuality?

Lmao….every post you expose how far from reality you are.

Imagine, teaching your kids that everyone is equal. How weird is that concept?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:18am

Lightbulb moment

All this recent talk from optimist and brutus is likely to be about the Morrison’s “Religious Discrimination Act” which was promised to christian conservatives before the last election and is due to be tabled in parliament.

The christian lobby wants the ability to hire and fire staff on the basis of their sexual preference ... and the treatment of openly gay students????

More cultural war tripe

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:25am
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

You really are clueless.

everyone is equal....do you tell your kids that Christians are also equal..

Seeing you can't or won't answer the sexual experimentation question.........just so you know there are quite a few people that I know , who have experimented , some workout they are gay and some don't.......that's reality....not some safe place inside your head!!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:30am

Scomo , what a fantastic leader ......nah not.....I do not subscribe to Scomo's lies and marketing....lets not go down the political rabbit hole...for me , democracy is a broken system , where being a politician is one of the least respected professions in Western Society....so we don't trust or respect them....but we let them run our lives!

GuySmiley wrote:

Lightbulb moment

All this recent talk from optimist and brutus is likely to be about the Morrison’s “Religious Discrimination Act” which was promised to christian conservatives before the last election and is due to be tabled in parliament.

The christian lobby wants the ability to hire and fire staff on the basis of their sexual preference ... and the treatment of openly gay students????

More cultural war tripe

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:31am

What about my question brutus? It's the second time I have asked it.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:36am
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:

Roadkill wrote:

You really are clueless.

everyone is equal....do you tell your kids that Christians are also equal..

Seeing you can't or won't answer the sexual experimentation question.........just so you know there are quite a few people that I know , who have experimented , some workout they are gay and some don't.......that's reality....not some safe place inside your head!!

Off course Chritians are equal. Everone includes everyone. There are no exclusions.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 10:51am

Optimist. Again, with the idea that homosexuality is ‘unnatural’, and then equating it with ‘animalistic’ traits. How do you suppose those select quotations make a young (or older) person who is attracted sexually to a person of the same gender?
The only way out of their sin is to submit, not to ‘God’ but actually to the rules and interpretations of one of ‘his’ self-appointed representatives? It’s a joke that you can’t see why there’s been a pretty consistent response here.

Im glad you’re out.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 11:15am

Optimist - “ if we want to move forward we have to obey Gods way as even though we don't fully understand why...Dad knows best...”

That pretty much sums it up.
brainwashed beyond belief.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
blindboy wrote:

Don’t worry, he won’t answer. Brutus has conveniently ignored my 1 and only question to him.

Funny how he demands others answer, while he doesn’t answer.

Christians do have a habit of adhering to…do as I say, not as I do.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 12:20pm

Rosdkill, if he did answer it he would be the first I have ever encountered. I'm not having a shot at him I am genuinely interested in what people who are obviously sincere, think about it. Most of us have contradictory beliefs if we dig deep enough.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm
brutus wrote:

It must be nice to have a religion where the spiritual leader can completely change his beliefs ...now that's something you can have faith in and there's a solid foundation of belief...well this decade anyhow!

bonza wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

Bonza I think you need to carefully reread my last couple of posts, I think you have misinterpreted what I’ve said.

Maybe I have. But my point remains. If optimist and Brutus are homophobes so is any Buddhist.

Hey Brutus. For the accusations being directed at you from many on here. For the record I agree that your Christian rhetoric on this is issue is homophobic. When you say that stuff it’s homophobic. So yeah those beliefs are hurtful and be used for hate but I didn’t see hate from you. Hate is being bashed, ostracised, ridiculed and murdered. Life is grey.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 1:53pm
brutus wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Andy....money and power corrupt our politicians , democracy gets corrupted because lobby groups are the ones that run the Governments ......so what you are talking about is a benevolent dictator.....so how do you choose someone you can trust and know that they are who they say they are?

I don’t know where the benevolent dictator idea fits in at all.
We were talking about the Dalai llama and the issue of him changing his stance on homosexuality.
You seem to think it was a bad thing I’m saying that if it can be justified through science or changing public expectations then it’s a sign of someone who’s Worth respecting.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 2:38pm

Buddhism does not consider homosexuality to be a sin. Buddhism deems actions as either “kusala kamma” (wholesome actions) or “akusala kamma” (unwholesome actions), both of which lead to “vipaka” (the results of actions). Whether an action is wholesome or unwholesome depends on the volition behind the action. If an action is motivated by greed, hatred or delusion, then it is considered to be unwholesome, and vice versa. Some Buddhist cultures, however, perceive homosexuality as unwholesome, but that is more of a cultural perception, not a strictly religious one. Buddhism does have moral precepts for laypeople, one of which is the undertaking to avoid “sexual misconduct”, which is a vague, ambiguous term that has been widely interpreted as referring to things such as adultery, promiscuity, paedophilia and rape. Homosexuality, however, is not explicitly proscribed in the Buddhist doctrine, but as I said, some cultures interpret sexual misconduct as inclusive of homosexuality.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 14 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm

That’s the problem with religion. It gets interpreted a thousand different ways by man to suit whatever viewpoint that suits the day and ones opportunity for profit and power.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 8:07am
Roadkill wrote:
blindboy wrote:

Don’t worry, he won’t answer. Brutus has conveniently ignored my 1 and only question to him.

Funny how he demands others answer, while he doesn’t answer.

Christians do have a habit of adhering to…do as I say, not as I do.

What was the question and I will answer?

Maybe you could answer , have you ever heard of people sexually experimenting?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 8:21am

Bonzer , you call me homophobic , but as I have friends who are gay , male and female , I have gone out of my way to show I have always respected and helped gay people , I have sponsored and helped gay people, when no-one else would , it wasn't cool 30 years ago!
in 2015 I had a go at UDO for telling a joke about splitting altar boys and went on a vile rant about , I think making jokes about victims of paedophiles.....I don't like vilification of any kind and now I find myself being accused and judged by people who have only a very small and narrow view of Christianity.....but that's fine, as it has only increased my faith as some of the cooments are pretty insulting...call me homophobe if you like , but it's not true~

Homophobic behaviour
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/bullystoppers/Pages

Homophobic behaviour. Homophobic bullying can include physical violence, name calling, 'jokes', sexual harassment or online bullying. Bullying on the basis of sexuality is a common experience for young people who are same sex attracted or for those who may not behave according to gender stereotypes " :

bonza wrote:
brutus wrote:

bonza wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

Hey Brutus. For the accusations being directed at you from many on here. For the record I agree that your Christian rhetoric on this is issue is homophobic. When you say that stuff it’s homophobic. So yeah those beliefs are hurtful and be used for hate but I didn’t see hate from you. Hate is being bashed, ostracised, ridiculed and murdered. Life is grey.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 8:32am

"Gods law, the direction for a good meaningful life is written in the Bible......it's the foundation of Christianity......you don't try and negotiate and change the laws according to what a person wants!"

But you only follow bits of the bible. Well I hope so. I think you need to explain how you decide which bits to follow and which bits to ignore. If you cannot negotiate or change god's laws, what about this clear instruction from Leviticus?

" “‘If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire."

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 8:44am

Andy , you proposed ,"Imagine that, a leader that has the strength, humility and wisdom to change their opinion as facts and societal progress require. "
This is a bit of philosophical question....facts and society progression.....sound like polls would make the law....a leader who will change his or her opinion ......sounds pretty scary to me!

AndyM wrote:
brutus wrote:
AndyM wrote:

I don’t know where the benevolent dictator idea fits in at all.
We were talking about the Dalai llama and the issue of him changing his stance on homosexuality.
You seem to think it was a bad thing I’m saying that if it can be justified through science or changing public expectations then it’s a sign of someone who’s Worth respecting.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:00am
bonza wrote:

That’s the problem with religion. It gets interpreted a thousand different ways by man to suit whatever viewpoint that suits the day and ones opportunity for profit and power.

Agree , man constantly changes his viewpoint and his interpretations....so some of the mainstream religions have actually become irrelevant as they seek to become the middle man between God/Jesus ........man loves to control and reap the benefits of that control .....which in the end becoes just another business devoid of the teaching sof the Bible!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:22am

"a leader who will change his or her opinion ......sounds pretty scary to me!"

If it's well-informed decision, it sounds essential.
To paint a change of mind as a sign of weakness is very narrow-minded.

dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:24am

Sounds a bit like democracy..

Exhibit A for the case against the relevance of the bible in the 21st century was presented by optimist's final post. Fully supported by brutus.

Brutus, If you're not in politics already, the Trump party is calling. Throw your full weight behind optimists bible quotes then throw in a yeah/na but I'm actually LG #1 supporter.

"I have sponsored and helped gay people" but you can't join my club unless you change your heathen ways. I don't accept you, but here's some money to make me feel better.
Pretty typical of the way the highest rungs of the church works, shit all over people 6 days a week and then tip some money into the plate on Sunday, say you're sorry, and then good to go again.

Dark ages stuff, fuedal.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:34am

"When Onan had sex with Tamar ...... he spilled his seed on the ground..... he did evil so God slew him"

Fair enough. That is pretty bad stuff. Very evil.

Thankfully we have tissues these days or else there would be a lot of slewing going on by the all loving god.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:49am
AndyM wrote:

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?” - Keynes

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:54am
AndyM wrote:

there's the problem...what's well informed which becomes essential...bit like Scomo now promoting his new climate plans , his new sub plans with a smattering of his incredible job on the Pandemic....so maybe ha has a weak mind because he changed his mind...or did he??

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 9:57am

That'll do for now...I have a very intense 2 weeks coming up...and will have to leave this SN forum and the subject of God, The Bible and homsexuality....there are a lot more pressing relevant issues for me......
Will probably post the occasional tidbit on our Racism/Historic justice forum!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 10:02am

Still didn't answer the question!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 10:08am
blindboy wrote:

Still didn't answer the question!

what fucking question?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 10:11am
stunet wrote:
AndyM wrote:

ha so what facts are real or not....facts change all the time...history changes....so everytime there's a new wokeness , lets experiment and try and see if the change works....??

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 10:55am

Third time lucky?

Note the question mark after Leviticus.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 12:44pm

Rumour is that Hitler repented in his final few moments. At the pearly gates Jesus awkwardly had to nod his acceptance and in he went to heaven as that is the deal ... the entry ticket.

Apparently, in heaven, he struggles a bit to make conversation and sing the endless hymns of praise that fill most of the day (and night). He mostly marches around muttering about 1000 year something avoided by many but followed by Goebbels and a few others from his team smart enough to hedge their bets at the end with a quick repentance.

Make sense? It is the deal on offer.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 12:52pm

BB ..."And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [e]sexual immorality, wickedness, [f]covetousness, [g]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [h]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [i]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them."
Now that's pretty clear...we try to not to break the law, but we are sinners who will be tempted by the enemy....

blindboy wrote:

Third time lucky?

Note the question mark after Leviticus.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Nov 2021 at 1:03pm
brutus wrote:
stunet wrote:
AndyM wrote:

ha so what facts are real or not....facts change all the time...history changes....so everytime there's a new wokeness , lets experiment and try and see if the change works....??

An example from science - climate change

An example from society - same sex marriage

Crystal clear.

To stubbornly ignore new evidence or stick with outdated beliefs is not the sign of a strong leader, quite the contrary.