All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 8:54am

Thanks for the answer. Maybe you should have been clearer about that from the start. There are many schools of buddhism so the views of the Dalai Lama are irrelevant to my wife's beliefs. Reincarnation plays a very small part in her beliefs. Her central practice is meditation which makes her a very calm, non-judgemental person. I am not a buddhist.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:01am

Brutus, Very disappointing to read your recent posts. I know it’s your faith so also personal for you but perhaps you will come to understand on reflection your stated position here in a modern sectarian society is extreme. If this is what your religion really teaches best find a new one.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:04am

What a few individuals think about the matter is for them to work out BB so to be honest I'm not sure what the point is of continually asking Brutus.

The real issue, as Guy has already mentioned, is when our prime minister believes it, when our deputy prime minister believes it, and when prominent ministers setting the country's policies believe in these regressive ideas. That is what we should be all concerned about, not what Brutus or Optimist believe

Also apparently a large portion of our representatives of the game played in heaven have the same view. Interestingly it seems like their game has gone to shit so maybe their god has updated his views on the subject and is trying to give them a message

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:08am

This thread is well out there and very upsetting. I understand the argument for free speech but this stuff is really pushing the boundary.

I thought these kinds of negative views had been eradicated from our society a decade or two or three ago.

Some of the most highly intelligent, talented, decent and empathetic people I've ever known and worked professionally with were gay, both male and female.

I once worked very closely professionally with a gay dude for a few years, and for the first two or so I didn't even realise he was gay. I only found out he was when I saw him out in a club. My immediate thought was how blind and stupid could I be to not pick up on it all that time...

Apart from being attracted to member of the same sex, gay people are NO DIFFERENT to you and I.

People should really think twice before airing some of the above views.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:10am

Brutus, is using Nazi terms..what an idiot.

The continual ass covering and justifying ideas and taking things out of context...just solidifies the character of this bigot.

Victimhood to the extreme.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:14am

Can everyone please tone it down? Or, god willing, I'll have to lock another thread.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:26am

Beat me to use Stu, of all the threads to be shut down surely this is it?

That anyone can be as brainwashed as optimist and Brutus in this day and age is mind blowing.
It’s sickening

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:36am

Stu it is a very slippery slope to slide down if we are allowed to use insults that have been directed at any of us personally......am I allowed like BB to repeat some of the language/insults directed at me??

stunet wrote:

Not a word I'd choose to use though was obviously used in context - i.e as it was directed at him.

Reckon John Cleese summed it up best:

“If you put nonsense words into the mouth of someone you want to make fun of, you’re not broadcasting their views, you’re making fun of them. The major was an old fossil left over from decades before. We were not supporting his views, we were making fun of them. If they can’t see that – if people are too stupid to see that – what can one say?”

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:42am

@Brutus,

If you're using those words to highlight recalcitrant attitudes then, yeah, you are allowed to use them. That's the point. Though I'll always censor or shield them if they appear on the homepage (where readers you have no past knowledge of this thread can see them).

However, if you're just using the language detached from the message it was delivered then that's something different.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:04am

@Brutus

You know there is a HUGE irony that you go on about colonialism and white mans ideals being so bad etc, but then follow what is basically white mans religion Christianity and is the basis for so many aspects of white mans ideals especially going back to colonial times, many of these ideals most of modern Australia society has moved on from as see outdated such as views on homosexuality.

I mean im not really into bagging the whole Christianity thing Islam is far worse as has hasn't evolved to anywhere near the same extent to fit in with the modern world (but people are too scared to bag islam), but it could easily be argued Christianity was a driving force behind the loss of culture in many indigenous communities especially through the missions etc.

Its a weird contradiction reading your views from the indigenous thread to this one they are kind of polar opposites.

PS. sorry i don't want to derail the thread, if we are to continue this aspect, maybe best to take it to the other thread, but just an observation .

BTW. Just to be clear im saying this with no nastiest or negative vibes, as i kind of feel people are stacking it on you here and don't want to be part of that, everyone has contradictions, no ones perfect but just had to voice my observation too.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:00am

I think the last day or so of this thread has been tasteless and unedifying. I support Optimist and Brutus, I don't support their views but think this whole thread was a set up designed to attack them for those views. They were provoked by Roadkill to state their views and when they did they got attacked. Fuck the lot of you jumping on them. They can believe what they want, so can you. Pick a fight over something else. This issue was played out long ago by a lot better players than turn out here.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:01am

brutus, I am happy to apologise if you found my use of that word offensive. You have a point. I probably would not have used it if I had given it a little more thought.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
adam12 wrote:

I think the last day or so of this thread has been tasteless and unedifying. I support Optimist and Brutus, I don't support their views but think this whole thread was a set up designed to attack them for those views. They were provoked by Roadkill to state their views and when they did they got attacked. Fuck the lot of you jumping on them. They can believe what they want, so can you. Pick a fight over something else. This issue was played out long ago by a lot better players than turn out here.

Rubbish.

They can have views, irrespective of how distasteful they are to 99% of the population. They went further than expressing views and aired archaic bigotry and then tried to justify those views. When called out they doubled down..when that failed they both pulled the victim card.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:24am

Changing topic a bit.

Went for a surf this week at a well known spot, which I probably surf 15-20 times per year. To access the break, I paddle approx 500m around the headland to the wave. I always paddle, although you can do a walk, then a 100m paddle.
About 150m into the paddle I had this overwhelming sense that I was in danger (er, on a lower rung of the food chain), the water was very murky. This palpable sense of fear dissipated after about a minute. I have never had this sense of impending doom before, although the last time I saw a big shark was at an adjacent wave (on the incoming paddle) about 5 years ago (Christmas Day to be precise).

The surf was pumping, after 3 hours, caught a wave in then paddled the last 350m over the spot I had been so spooked by. The rationalist in me decided to think about sharks as I paddled in to see if it triggered that same fear...nada. Felt fine.

So was my fear real? Irrational? Sixth sense? Influenced by previous experience?
Apart from the murky water (which is normal) there were no other visual prompts.

Interested to hear of anyone else who may have had similar experiences

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:30am

Yes ...for sure your Fear was real
Have been meaning to start a Sixth Sense ESP Gut Feeling etc thread for some time now.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:48am

Indo, I would not consider Christianity as a white mans religion.....unless you consider the Middle East as White......??
Yes colonial missionaries did a lot of good and harm depending on the individuals.....

I see Christianity 's true followers devoid of racial bias as God's law supersedes all....so No I don't see Jesus as White or the disciples or followers!

indo-dreaming wrote:

@Brutus

You know there is a HUGE irony that you go on about colonialism and white mans ideals being so bad etc, but then follow what is basically white mans religion Christianity and is the basis for so many aspects of white mans ideals especially going back to colonial times, many of these ideals most of modern Australia society has moved on from as see outdated such as views on homosexuality.

I mean im not really into bagging the whole Christianity thing Islam is far worse as has hasn't evolved to anywhere near the same extent to fit in with the modern world (but people are too scared to bag islam), but it could easily be argued Christianity was a driving force behind the loss of culture in many indigenous communities especially through the missions etc.

Its a weird contradiction reading your views from the indigenous thread to this one they are kind of polar opposites.

PS. sorry i don't want to derail the thread, if we are to continue this aspect, maybe best to take it to the other thread, but just an observation .

BTW. Just to be clear im saying this with no nastiest or negative vibes, as i kind of feel people are stacking it on you here and don't want to be part of that, everyone has contradictions, no ones perfect but just had to voice my observation too.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 10:52am

Intermission...

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 11:01am
GuySmiley wrote:

Brutus, Very disappointing to read your recent posts. I know it’s your faith so also personal for you but perhaps you will come to understand on reflection your stated position here in a modern sectarian society is extreme. If this is what your religion really teaches best find a new one.

yeah it is disappointing for the secular people who only really try and understand from material/superficial view I totally understand that view.
What is sad for me that there is no consideration for spiritual beliefs of others and that there is only a secular view!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
Roadkill wrote:
adam12 wrote:

Rubbish.

They can have views, irrespective of how distasteful they are to 99% of the population. They went further than expressing views and aired archaic bigotry and then tried to justify those views. When called out they doubled down..when that failed they both pulled the victim card.

over 50% of Australia's population regard themselves as Christians.....so you 99% , did you make that up to support your argument?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 11:31am
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
adam12 wrote:

Rubbish.

over 50% of Australia's population regard themselves as Christians.....so you 99% , did you make that up to support your argument?

Do you think over 50% of australians support your bigoted views as posted in here?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 11:42am

Brutus, you have totally lost me but I thank you for saying what you really think. You really are extreme in your views: @indo politely called it irony I’ll call it utter hypocrisy.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:03pm

You get what you give

You reap what you sow

Personally I find it hilarious.
If you find yourself not being accepted, perhaps you best reflect on what you are putting out into the universe

How does it feel boys?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:14pm
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
adam12 wrote:

Rubbish.

Do you think over 50% of australians support your bigoted views as posted in here?

for you they are bigoted ....but you obviously think that 99 % of Australians agree with you...

I have made it very clear that I have gay friends , I do not treat them any different than anyone else...I have supported Gay athletes in the sport of surfing , through sponsorship and also helping develop their Surfing Association........I personally have no problem with Gay people , and my actions speak louder that words....actually I's be interested to know what you have done /are doing in helping their cause?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:20pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Brutus, you have totally lost me but I thank you for saying what you really think. You really are extreme in your views: @indo politely called it irony I’ll call it utter hypocrisy.

My views are extreme to you , as yours are to mine.......as I keep saying I try to treat all people equally ....and don't judge them on their race /gender / gender preferences.....the irony and the hypocrisy is how someone with spiritual values gets attacked for his beliefs from people who have no real understanding of what spiritual means , their secular world judges and condems people of faith!

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:46pm
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
brutus wrote:
Roadkill wrote:
adam12 wrote:

Rubbish.

for you they are bigoted ....but you obviously think that 99 % of Australians agree with you...

I have made it very clear that I have gay friends , I do not treat them any different than anyone else...I have supported Gay athletes in the sport of surfing , through sponsorship and also helping develop their Surfing Association........I personally have no problem with Gay people , and my actions speak louder that words....actually I's be interested to know what you have done /are doing in helping their cause?

I help their cause by treating them as complete humans. I think of them as complete humans. I treat them as equals. I do not think of them as broken or anomalyies of nature. I do not judge them as anything other than an equal. They don't need fixed, they don't need moral counseling, they don't need pity.

I don't see gay people....I just see people.

My children think the same...which is just fantastic.

That is all they want.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 12:46pm

brutus why do you assume that those who do not believe in your god, or any other for that matter, do not have spiritual experiences? I think they are available to all of us and we are free to interpret them in the context of our own understandings. And in my experience the secular world is pretty tolerant of religion. Think about tax relief, the frequency with which religious leaders are consulted on important issues, prayers in Parliament etc. If your point is that your beliefs are some times satirised and made fun of in ways that upset you, that is the price you pay, like every other group, for free speech.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 1:33pm

@Brutus
" I do not treat them any different than anyone else.."
Except for seeing them as "anomalies" and expecting them to acknowledge the same.

@Roadkill
"I help their cause by treating them as complete humans."
Beat me to it.
Sure beats patronising them and then deluding yourself.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 1:41pm

Christianity is actually a middle eastern religion later hijacked by Europe the changing of story of Jesus being a great example.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 3:23pm
AndyM wrote:

@Brutus
" I do not treat them any different than anyone else.."
Except for seeing them as "anomalies" and expecting them to acknowledge the same.

@Roadkill
"I help their cause by treating them as complete humans."
Beat me to it.
Sure beats patronising them and then deluding yourself.

As I said , I treat people the same no matter what...you guys are confusing the physiological differences /anomalies ..........I am an anomaly both Physiologically and spiritually as my life journey has been very different to the Norm..

It's rather ironic how people of faith get treated as their beliefs are different .....the insults /jokes yeah...now there's hypocrisy for you !!

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 3:58pm

“It's rather ironic how people of faith get treated as their beliefs are different .....the insults /jokes yeah...now there's hypocrisy for you !!“

Hey Brutus, it’s because christianity first treats non believers like they need to be saved from their beliefs. This is why we give it straight back. We will always try and save you from your beliefs if you try and push them onto others first

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:03pm

"It's rather ironic how people of faith get treated as their beliefs are different .....the insults /jokes"

Jeez mate, I wonder why.
Humans have gone through all these changes, these revolutions of thinking and there's still all these crew out there (not all religious by any stretch) spouting absolute nonsense. No apologies for the odd jibe.
As they say, you're not entitled to your opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.

"yeah...now there's hypocrisy for you !!"

Now there's a philosophical question - is being intolerant of intolerance hypocrisy?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:06pm
shoredump wrote:

“It's rather ironic how people of faith get treated as their beliefs are different .....the insults /jokes yeah...now there's hypocrisy for you !!“

Hey Brutus, it’s because christianity first treats non believers like they need to be saved from their beliefs. This is why we give it straight back. We will always try and save you from your beliefs if you try and push them onto others first

it's ironic that optimist and I were just exchanging scripture from the Gospels.....and out of left field , came the old Gay issue....and here we are talking about those who have faith in a higher deity and those who don't.....I am pushing nothing onto anybody, but answering some pretty nasty comments and jokes ...which is fine......but when pushed well what do you believe in...very mixed bag...if you believe in nothing and are happy with a secular existence...so be it...but why attack people of faith?
Bit like anti-vaxxers attacking health workers!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm

Here's a quote from Sir Karl Popper who despite the name was not involved in making fishing lures or sugary fruit drinks in tetra paks.
Popper was an Austrian-British philosopher, academic and social commentator and was know for his "vigorous defence of liberal democracy and the principles of social criticism that he believed made a flourishing open society possible."

“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them… We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.” ― Karl R. Popper

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:14pm
brutus wrote:

Indo, I would not consider Christianity as a white mans religion.....unless you consider the Middle East as White......??
Yes colonial missionaries did a lot of good and harm depending on the individuals.....

I see Christianity 's true followers devoid of racial bias as God's law supersedes all....so No I don't see Jesus as White or the disciples or followers!

And then 15 minutes latter.

brutus wrote:

Obviously Christianity started in the middle east, but it's easily the most practiced religion in western white man cultures it was pretty much the only religion of the the colonist that came here and most people back then were practising Christians, views and culture of that era is heavily tied to Christianity.

If there is anything still tied to that colonist era in modern day Australia it's Christianity, if you were an atheist i think you would be hammering Christianity as being linked closely to Colonialism, like i said especially the whole Mission's aspect.

BTW. Im not a Christian but I dont think it's always the evil its made out to be, i see people in places like Mentawai's, Nias, Telo's really brought together as a community over Christianity, like many things there is often good and bad aspects to these things.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:21pm
brutus wrote:

I would not consider Christianity as a white mans religion

brutus wrote:

the Bible created the soul of Western civilization

By any measure, Western civilisation is Anglo so there's two conflicting statements.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:31pm

Great stuff Andy. I always wondered where that quote came from. " I will tolerate anything but intolerance."

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:45pm
AndyM wrote:

Here's a quote from Sir Karl Popper who despite the name was not involved in making fishing lures or sugary fruit drinks in tetra paks.
Popper was an Austrian-British philosopher, academic and social commentator and was know for his "vigorous defence of liberal democracy and the principles of social criticism that he believed made a flourishing open society possible."

“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them… We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.” ― Karl R. Popper

Where am I preaching intolerance ?

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:50pm

Great to see people calling out homophobia, bigotry, hypocrisy, intolerance, extreme archaic beliefs etc.

Seems worth pointing out though, that the bloke who's bearing the brunt of these accusations seems totally devoid of such qualities. Quite the opposite, in fact.

This pile on directed at a bloke, with a shit load of life experience - relevant life experience - who, from all available evidence, has successfully reconciled his spiritual existence with his earthly human existence, is misdirected and disproportionate.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 4:55pm
stunet wrote:
brutus wrote:

I would not consider Christianity as a white mans religion

brutus wrote:

the Bible created the soul of Western civilization

By any measure, Western civilisation is Anglo so there's two conflicting statements.

Boy this getting tiring....Western Civilization was born in the middle east.....so technically you could say that the Anglos came much later ......

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 5:06pm
brutus wrote:

Boy this getting tiring....Western Civilization was born in the middle east.....so technically you could say that the Anglos came much later ......

Sorry mate, that's just patently incorrect. WC has roots in Greek philosophy, but really flourished in Europe during the Renaissance. The Middle East plays no part.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 5:12pm

@ Brutus

All that said I totally understand that you can mix your culture with Christianity, seems many cultures do this with success.

I also 100% understand why you embrace both especially at the stage of life you are at and recent events in last few years you have shared, so i respect that if it works for you thats all that is important.

Sometimes we are critical here including myself, but I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself that we all have great respect for you not only as a craftsman but what we know of you as person, so don't let any of the comments that seems negative towards you here get your down, and if they do take a break and focus on other things, good mental health is important.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm

As a general comment I think brutus and Optimist are being a bit thin skinned over the whole thing. If you go onto any public forum (never mind Swellnet!) and start posting careful selections from the Old Testament then suggest that you have had visits from angels, what do you expect? Even in terms of the homosexual stuff brutus had numerous opportunities to state that he did not think it breached god's law, but took about 4 pages to get there. I think it is unrealistic to think, or expect, that people will not challenge assertions of absolute religious truth since it is a pretty offensive idea. If they are offended by what they see as disrespectful responses, sorry but they come with the territory.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 6:28pm
stunet wrote:
brutus wrote:

Sorry mate, that's just patently incorrect. WC has roots in Greek philosophy, but really flourished in Europe during the Renaissance. The Middle East plays no part.

OK Stu try this...."The positive influence of Christianity is far reaching especially in the rich history and culture of Western Civilization despite a long standing ignorance or adamant denial of its contributions. The Bible itself is responsible for much of the language, literature, and fine arts we enjoy today as its artists and composers were heavily influenced by its writings. Paul Maier, in writing the forward to the book How Christianity Changed the World by Alvin J. Schmidt, says this about the profound impact Christianity has had on the development of Western Civilization:"
https://www.bartleby.com/essay/The-Impact-of-Christianity-on-Western-Civ....

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 6:37pm
blindboy wrote:

As a general comment I think brutus and Optimist are being a bit thin skinned over the whole thing. If you go onto any public forum (never mind Swellnet!) and start posting careful selections from the Old Testament then suggest that you have had visits from angels, what do you expect? Even in terms of the homosexual stuff brutus had numerous opportunities to state that he did not think it breached god's law, but took about 4 pages to get there. I think it is unrealistic to think, or expect, that people will not challenge assertions of absolute religious truth since it is a pretty offensive idea. If they are offended by what they see as disrespectful responses, sorry but they come with the territory.

Didn't you ask the question of me...??

It's not the disrespect , it's the Hypocrisy of, in one breath you can;'t make fun and joke about gay people ( which I haven't done since I was a kid) , even calling them poofters from past experiences is really unhealthy for Gay people , but BB you did it on a public forum!
I have explained myself and my position on Homosexuals....why won't you answer the questions about Buddhism?
What is offensive to you, doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things ....try and understand that 1/2 of Australia is Christian....I have Bible app which surpassed 500m downloads this week......
I am certainly a minority here on SN but not in the big wide World , which where I like to think I belong.....a Global citizen that actually cares for everybody ...not just one faction like here on SN!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 6:54pm

Aaah so you want to claim to be the majority....while claiming the protections of an abused minority. Good luck with that. And if 50% of Australians are christian then they aren't going to church as only 16% went to church last year....and even then it might only have been once for a wedding or funeral. You just need to get used to the idea that your views are not protected and when you claim to have an absolute monopoly on religious truth you are immediately grossly offending those with different beliefs because you are telling them that they are wrong. Good luck, but maybe think a bit about the likely response before posting your pious certainties.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 12 Nov 2021 at 9:15pm
Roker wrote:

Great to see people calling out homophobia, bigotry, hypocrisy, intolerance, extreme archaic beliefs etc.

Seems worth pointing out though, that the bloke who's bearing the brunt of these accusations seems totally devoid of such qualities. Quite the opposite, in fact.

This pile on directed at a bloke, with a shit load of life experience - relevant life experience - who, from all available evidence, has successfully reconciled his spiritual existence with his earthly human existence, is misdirected and disproportionate.

Agreed. Especially when Brutus is a known individual and we r all anonymous.

Christians are easy targets for such winding up.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:52am

once again BB you base your argument on a twisted version of what I said . Your interpretations are just plain weird...I mentioned 50% + Australians identify themselves as Christian...then you go and search for ....how many went church , Huh?
I am only pointing out to you there is very large group in society who identify with being a Christian and Christian values, as opposed to to me here on SN home alone now Optimist has left!
My views are not protected , WTF does that mean ??
I ask you to back up your statement about buddhism being one of enlightment...but you can't engage because you know Buddhism is a cop out?
Do you have any spiritual/super natural connections ?

blindboy wrote:

Aaah so you want to claim to be the majority....while claiming the protections of an abused minority. Good luck with that. And if 50% of Australians are christian then they aren't going to church as only 16% went to church last year....and even then it might only have been once for a wedding or funeral. You just need to get used to the idea that your views are not protected and when you claim to have an absolute monopoly on religious truth you are immediately grossly offending those with different beliefs because you are telling them that they are wrong. Good luck, but maybe think a bit about the likely response before posting your pious certainties.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:58am

Bonza , yeah I do get a bit wound up as the attacks are relentless.....but coming here on SN , actually builds my faith as there has been no other comments or philosophy's that have been presented here that challenge the Christian values I have shared here.

When I read ,"]Great to see people calling out homophobia, bigotry, hypocrisy, intolerance, extreme archaic beliefs etc."....there seems to be intolerance towards Christianity as an archaic belief.......or doesn't that count?

bonza wrote:
Roker wrote:

Agreed. Especially when Brutus is a known individual and we r all anonymous.

Christians are easy targets for such winding up.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 8:07am

"1/2 of Australia is Christian....I have Bible app which surpassed 500m downloads this week......"

Mate, in your post above the clear inference is that 50% of Australian believe that Jesus was god. In the one below, you back off to include what are usually called "cultural christians". It's the type of silly trick that you wouldn't get away with even in a high school debate. There is no intolerance to christianity on my part, only intolerance to the kind of pious certainty that is essentially an attack on the beliefs of others.

"there is very large group in society who identify with being a Christian and Christian values,"

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 8:52am

oh BB, so you have intolerance towards those who show intolerance.....huh?

So 2 x wrongs make a right , is this part of your Buddhist teachings,LOL?

Oh and just so you can learn something about Christianity...Jesus was the Son of God !

blindboy wrote:

"1/2 of Australia is Christian....I have Bible app which surpassed 500m downloads this week......"

Mate, in your post above the clear inference is that 50% of Australian believe that Jesus was god. In the one below, you back off to include what are usually called "cultural christians". It's the type of silly trick that you wouldn't get away with even in a high school debate. There is no intolerance to christianity on my part, only intolerance to the kind of pious certainty that is essentially an attack on the beliefs of others.

"there is very large group in society who identify with being a Christian and Christian values,"