COVID-19 Health System Overload Forecaster

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm

I've created a spreadsheet forecast which I'll update as we go..

There's also a website with live running data.. https://sites.google.com/view/stayhomeaustralia

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 11:48am
Stok wrote:
Blowin wrote:

There is NO genuine medical or scientific reason he should be required to be injected with a toxic substance, which provides no significant benefit, whilst also posing potential health risks.

Even medical experts state that vaccine mandates are not justified.

Just wanted to point of these two gems, to highlight why this thread needs to be called out.

I'm not going to try to defend or argue anything here, just highlight that we have people who believe the vaccine is a risky, toxic substance which provides no benefit.

Regarding the mandates, I will say this. I don't want them, but I recognise why we need them. Oh, and medical experts may not be the best people to ask re. mandates - it's more of an issue of sociology.

The thing is, even the medical evidence supports my opinion but you refuse to acknowledge this because of your ideological beliefs.

For instance, I said that for someone such as BD, a healthy surfer mid-late 30’s ( I imagine) , there is no significant benefit to be gained from vaccination. You hold this as evidence of rubbish being spread as misinformation.

So tell me Stok , what do you think is the absolute risk to BD , in percentage terms, if he catches covid whilst unvaccinated compared to his absolute risk as a percentage if he was double vaccinated ( 3 months ago for the example)

You should provide two percentage risk ratings to illustrate how great the benefits of vaccination for our example.

Example : Risk of severe illness / hospitalisation for a vaccinated healthy male aged 35 = ?

Risk of severe illness/ hospitalisation for an unvaccinated healthy male aged 35 = ?

Same with death rates.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
gragagan wrote:

Neil Young removes all of his music from Spotify due to the platform hosting Joe Rogan spreading covid misinformation:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-27/spotify-removing-neil-young-music...

Haha, good luck Neil Young. Rogan would bring in MILLIONS more than you.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 11:57am
Stok wrote:
burleigh wrote:

IMO as soon as it was beyond clear that vaccinated were spreading the virus at alarming rates all work mandates should have been dropped. Especially in health where there are clear staff shortages.

My kids school has lost 6 teachers. It just makes no sense. If the vaccine stopped transmission then ok, i get it. But that is not the case,

Burleigh, you're on another planet. Flat out refusing to believe that the vaccine significantly reduces chances of hospitalisation and death, which is actually much more significant than transmission alone.

The more people vaccinated - the less pressure on hospitals.

Of course, if you listen to Reignite Democracy Australia you may feel otherwise I guess.

So you’re saying the mandates are just a punishment then?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:12pm
tylerdurden wrote:

The question is how long does the effect of the vaccines last post booster?
We’ll find out soon.
If there’s no 2nd booster (4th dose) then the vaccinated will be equal to the unvaccinated at some point, the question is how long

They do already know, it boost you to about 70% effectiveness but after 3 months you are down to 50% effectiveness, then 4 months down to 40% etc (from memory the 4th boost you higher again though like 90% but im only going off my memory here)

Plenty of recent articles on it here's one https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/01/19/1071809356/covid-bo...

Plus if you get Covid you are getting a natural booster.

To be honest the only time i think i will bother getting a booster is three weeks out from an Indo trip , so im at peak immunity when there as the last thing i want is to be sick in Indo, it aligns with winter too so has a benefit back in Australia too.

Or if another more deadly strain pops up.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:31pm
burleigh wrote:
gragagan wrote:

Neil Young removes all of his music from Spotify due to the platform hosting Joe Rogan spreading covid misinformation:

This one’s for Burleigh:

And this is for everybody who’s over it:

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:34pm

How about we start a thread in which you only provide commentary on covid through a song? Might be more interesting than the merry-go-round that this thread has become.

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:41pm
overthefalls wrote:

How about we start a thread in which you only provide commentary on covid through a song? Might be more interesting than the merry-go-round that this thread has become.

First up on the playlist-

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:46pm

FDA Asks the Court to Delay First 55,000 Page Production Until May and Pfizer Moves to Intervene in the Lawsuit. https://aaronsiri.substack.com/p/fda-asks-the-court-to-delay-first?justP... Are they trying to stall the process ? Maybe they believe it’s not that important , transparency builds trust .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:49pm

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:52pm

Not everyone is happy with boosters and mandates .

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:09pm

Spotify are crooks, and pay artists LESS THAN ONE CENT each stream. Use bandcamp. It's way more artist friendly.

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:06pm
Supafreak wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:08pm
Hiccups wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad I could help you

wallpaper's picture
wallpaper's picture
wallpaper Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:16pm
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

none of that. He did the intelligent and morally right thing. Any idiot that gives that Rogan clown any credibility whatsoever needs their head read.

tonys-shirtfront's picture
tonys-shirtfront's picture
tonys-shirtfront Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:18pm

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:25pm
Supafreak wrote:

Not everyone is happy with boosters and mandates . https://youtu.be/ArYtup2o_qU

Supa.....that is a pure one sided opinion piece from a savvy, loudmouth commentator/journalist or whatever she is.

She's obviously riding the wave of vaccine hesitance/anti vax sentiments, riding it all the way to the bank.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:30pm
burleigh wrote:
gragagan wrote:

Firstly, I enjoy some of Rogan's podcasts and his guests.
However, I reckon Neil Young will be listened too well into the future long after Joe has faded into obscurity....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:38pm

ok stok... less bullshit and skirting issues...

are you ok with lining up for 3 monthly boosters?

you ok with it mandated for certain employees?

...even though politicians have no such mandates...

you don't think 3 -4 monthly boosters seems a bit impracticle / expensive /1st world indulgant / terribly desperate?

it comes across as terribly desperate to me, with shitty politicians of all stripes grasping at it as the answer to all their problems...

whilst 'the evidemce' suggests it is anything but...

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:06pm
Stok wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Supa.....that is a pure one sided opinion piece from a savvy, loudmouth commentator/journalist or whatever she is.

She's obviously riding the wave of vaccine hesitance/anti vax sentiments, riding it all the way to the bank.

Let's be honest, you didn't watch the video did you? I'll be honest, I only did as your comment seemed like a throwaway one-liner that did not match the headline… and I have the time today.

Video recap:

The first 6:30mins (of 10ms) are her literally reporting on the trucking convoy and vaccine mandate protests that are currently ongoing in canada; she mentions that hardly any major mainstream news networks are reporting the issue (blackout); she cites joint statement from the canadian government and trucking alliance; she however does find a quote and cites from MSM (toronto sun, don't know much about them); she further cites the canadian trucking associations response; she displays the gofundme page that has been set up to raise funds for the convoy ($6m); she also cites Trudeau's tweet in support of the truckers last year and reports on his chosen approach this year.

The last three minutes are for sure her take on the situation. But to say that this is a “pure one sided opinion piece” solidifies sypkan’s post above that you yourself agreed with. She is a talking head paid to provide an opinion. Doesn't stop the fact that for 70% of this video she reported what appears to be objective facts (?) of the situation.

Sypkan:

“your problem stok, is exactly the same as dr dicvocal and blindman, you attack the poster, you attack the person, you attack the source, you attack the politics.... rather than engaging in the content... the whole youtube thing is just you guy's lame-arse attempts to deplatform people... very 20 something mean girls uni like behaviour... but seriously stok.... you should be above that…” - Spykan

Stok:

“I'll pay that - because I do that. Less so attacking the poster (or not at all? Well maybe Burleigh! ), more so attacking the source and political edge to the content.

I honestly don't have the time or effort to cross check every link which gets posted here, kudos to you guys if you do! Honestly!” - Stok

Back to Sypkan:

“you are either terribly ignorant, terribly biased, or a pathetic little 'don't give those ideas oxygen' mean girl who cannot handle her world view being challenged…

the 'academic' in you gets bagged not as 'anti-intellectualism' or 'tall poppy syndrome'... but because you are a such bloody typical example of the very compromised contemporary uni system... and government in general…” - Sypkan

Nailed it. It is quite clear that in this instance, you commented on the uselessness of Supa's video by title and headline alone.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:05pm
Stok wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

What do ya reckon stok Add her to your list ?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:32pm

"The first 6:30mins (of 10ms) are her literally reporting on the trucking convoy and vaccine mandate protests that are currently ongoing in canada; she mentions that hardly any major mainstream news networks are reporting the issue (blackout)"

doesn't such gross overeaching bias by censorship require at least a little balancing?

be it by opinion writer or not....

the world has just become incredibly strange

i was talking with my friend the other day about vaccine efficacy and how no mainstream media source seems to go there

not that long ago, if a vaccine or medicine was even remotely not performing as promised it would be all over the media, widely reported, all sources, regardless of political colours...

thrashed out until some form of consensus developes

what the hell has changed?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:30pm

and fwiw, I think you will find 'the hill' is one of the few sites that endeavours to overcome the ridiculous political bias of the media system thst has developed

one of the very very few

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:34pm

""The first 6:30mins (of 10ms) are her literally reporting on the trucking convoy and vaccine mandate protests that are currently ongoing in canada; she mentions that hardly any major mainstream news networks are reporting the issue (blackout)"

doesn't such gross overeaching bias by censorship require a little balancing?"

Is it true though?

One seconds searching showed a shitt ton of coverage in Canada of the Truckers convoy.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:42pm
freeride76 wrote:

""The first 6:30mins (of 10ms) are her literally reporting on the trucking convoy and vaccine mandate protests that are currently ongoing in canada; she mentions that hardly any major mainstream news networks are reporting the issue (blackout)"

doesn't such gross overeaching bias by censorship require a little balancing?"

Is it true though?

One seconds searching showed a shitt ton of coverage in Canada of the Truckers convoy.

Maybe search the US media , if stok or anyone thinks the hill are nothing but RWNJ here’s the media bias rating https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-hill/ and is the media blackout the story here ? or is the protest the story ? Or is the story what people are protesting about ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:40pm

I have no problem with them, if that is aimed at me.
watch their stuff from time to time.

I'm just calling BS on her claim that the truckers convoy is subject to a media blackout.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:50pm
freeride76 wrote:

I'm just calling BS on her claim that the truckers convoy is subject to a media blackout.

I think freeride , she’s claiming the US media is not reporting on it .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 2:55pm

Thought she said Canadian media.

Which was disproved in 30 seconds of google searching, Canadian media is all over it.

Yep, she said media blackout inside of Canada.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
freeride76 wrote:

Yeah, she contradicts herself a little there as she did cite the Toronto Sun whom I assume are a significant player in the Canadian media market. I’m sure what she really means by “blackout” isn’t the literal meaning. But more about why isn't the “largest convoy in history” which has the capacity to significantly disrupt, getting the blanket coverage she thinks it deserves from the big players and not from obscure regional sites:

https://www.google.com/search?q=canadian+trucking+convoy&sxsrf=AOaemvLJp...

We all know why. As does she. These news segments are now social highlights more than anything it now seems rather than policy influencing pieces. Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here, and we see it in Europe. Rinse, repeat.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
Ben Harding wrote:

the 'academic' in you gets bagged not as 'anti-intellectualism' or 'tall poppy syndrome'... but because you are a such bloody typical example of the very compromised contemporary uni system... and government in general…” - Sypkan
Nailed it. It is quite clear that in this instance, you commented on the uselessness of Supa's video by title and headline alone.

LOL

You guys.

Labelling me the egotistic wanker.

Literally summing up in a one liner, using your own opinions to paint a picture of what you assume I am like.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm
Stok wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:

LOL

You guys.

Literally summing up in a one liner, using your own opinions to paint a picture of what you assume I am like.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?

Free of charge for the first initial consultancy, Stok. We can work out numbers further down the track :)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:08pm

Far as Europe goes, I am seeing articles in mainstream media (Guardian, ABC, SMH) about protests almost every day.

Here is one from the Independent, one of the UK's largest mainstream newspapers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/world/austria-protests-...

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:14pm
Ben Harding wrote:

Let's be honest, you didn't watch the video did you? I'll be honest, I only did as your comment seemed like a throwaway one-liner that did not match the headline… and I have the time today.

Honestly, i did watch it.

Her emotive phraseology, and usage of common anti vax / mandate tropes seemed pretty clear to me.

It was a 'let's get angry' opinion piece, about the 50 to 100 THOUSAND trucks and THOUSANDS of people cheering them on. With the odd reminded that the government is not looking further into alternative treatments ('After all we know about the effectiveness of them' or whatever she said), and oh yeah - total media BLACKOUT. I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission (very Burleigh-esque). She wraps up with a spiel about how good truckers are, and how shit the government is to truckers etc, etc.

Felt very Skynews, to put it in an Australian context - less about the facts, more about the entertainment aspect of the content. the Hill may be fairly politically balanced, by the Toronto Sun is right leaning, and she probably is too.

Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here. We pretty much have strong bipartisan support for vaccines and mandates here, and the public has responded well to it (despite this thread of whingers). Whereas in the USA, it's much less rock solid, with their whole 'freedom of the individual above all else' crap - it's a lot more of a charged environment and these type of divisive, emotive opinion pieces are really an effective way of capturing the target audiences full attention.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:20pm

Dictator Dan really pushing for 3 jabs to be considered “fully vaccinated” let’s see what happens after this national cabinet meeting.

Surely this will absolutely destroy the already fucked economy, including tourism where other countries are now relaxing covid restrictions not tightening them

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:25pm
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Again, is that true?

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59925408

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
freeride76 wrote:

And Stok seems to be presenting the mainstream medical evidence/advice in good faith to me.

You might not agree with it, but the level of personal abuse being directed at him seems unjustified to me.

Sorry Freeride, gotta completely disagree with you there. Stok, Roadkill, Viclocal and a couple of others are just as poisonous as the jab that currently has my friend recovering from a mild stroke and in and out of hospital, still touch and go. She took that jab because she felt the social pressures from extreme jab junkies like the above mentioned.
Anyone can have an opinion, but these people are using dangerous bullying tactics, and i'm currently living through the direct results of that.
The thing is, i posted a few days ago that i'm open to Novavax. So how does that make me antivax? I've just made my personal decision based on my own understandings of evidence presented in 2 years not to be a part of the Mrna trials.
And for Stok, if it ever did come to 'a big war' as he childishly antagonised, make no mistake, Stok, Roady and VL's skulls will be the first i'll be coming to collect. Toxic humans.
Anyway, more swell less net for me. Yew!

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
Stok wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:

Honestly, i did watch it.

Her emotive phraseology, and usage of common anti vax / mandate tropes seemed pretty clear to me.

It was a 'let's get angry' opinion piece, about the 50 to 100 THOUSAND trucks and THOUSANDS of people cheering them on. With the odd reminded that the government is not looking further into alternative treatments ('After all we know about the effectiveness of them' or whatever she said), and oh yeah - total media BLACKOUT. I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission (very Burleigh-esque). She wraps up with a spiel about how good truckers are, and how shit the government is to truckers etc, etc.

Felt very Skynews, to put it in an Australian context - less about the facts, more about the entertainment aspect of the content. the Hill may be fairly politically balanced, by the Toronto Sun is right leaning, and she probably is too.

Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here. We pretty much have strong bipartisan support for vaccines and mandates here, and the public has responded well to it (despite this thread of whingers). Whereas in the USA, it's much less rock solid, with their whole 'freedom of the individual above all else' crap - it's a lot more of a charged environment and these type of divisive, emotive opinion pieces are really an effective way of capturing the target audiences full attention.

"I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission"

I had a feeling that you ears would have either pricked up or you would have at least said something upon hearing that in your original comment to Supa.

"Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here"

Worlds apart, we can agree on that.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:46pm

Here's another possible conspiracy, which I've never heard mentioned, and which I've done zero research on.

The reason the gov is pushing so hard for boosters now is:

The pharmaceutical companies have them by the short and curlies. Because they refused to contribute to the research and development of vaccines in the early days of the pandemic, the gov has had to accept a deal in which they are forced to mandate vaccinations for the entire eligible population every 3 months, for the life of the pandemic. Each strain's outbreak began in nsw, and was allowed to spread by the nsw gov, in concert with the fed gov. Once it spread enough, they were able to start bringing in vaccine mandates, thus fulfilling the terms of the contract they signed.
* Bonus conspiracy (buy one, get one free). Gladys didn't really resign because of corruption. She grew a conscience and refused to go along with Scotty's plan any more. The party came up with the corruption bit to tar and shame her.

All this probably has come up on the anti-... sites but I wouldn't know cos I don't visit them.

To me it's facts linked by a fictional story (meaning I made it up)
And I don't stand behind any of it hahaha

"sowing the seeds of ... "(whatever that song was about)

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:55pm

In the hill video I actually hardly took notice of when she said that there was a media blackout . Has anyone got a link to MSM tv in the US , broadcasting the footage of what was happening in Canada ? To me this wasn’t the story anyway. It was more about people , that some of which were vaccinated but were anti mandates . Stok said 50,000 to 100,000 trucks when in fact she reported 35,000 up to 50,000 trucks , Whatever . It’s a lot of people pissed of with mandates that don’t really make any sense. It was clear it wasn’t anti-vaxx but it was anti - mandates.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:57pm

"LOL

You guys.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?"

says the guy that gave bluediamond a multi paragraph psychological breakdown...

disguised in good faith... but really... was just another lame-arse attempt to discredit someone and their position...

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:59pm
bluediamond wrote:

And for Stok, if it ever did come to 'a big war' as he childishly antagonised, make no mistake, Stok, Roady and VL's skulls will be the first i'll be coming to collect. Toxic humans.

Just re-highlighting this little nugget to enshrine it further in this shameful thread.

I really feel for you, living through the dangerous times we're in, being bullied online and via the news. Refusing a free medical treatment which has been provided to around 60% of the worlds population, and has been heralded as a breakthrough technology for mankind. Which has saved countless lives.

Yep, WA, South Coast WA, is a tough place to be. What with it's 10 days of lockdown in the past 2 years and maybe 20 odd positive cases of covid. It's almost as if you're living under a rock.....which is under a bigger rock. Completely shielded from the shit the worlds been dealing with. You've probably only really had to wear a mask a handful of times.

Oh well, if I ever do surf down that way, I'll keep an eye out for you. You may actually see I'm not that bad of a person....I'd gladly share a wave with you and beer after. After all the shit talking, I don't, and never would, completely define or write someone off over one disagreement in discourse*. Perhaps you should do the same.

*except maybe Burleigh ;)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:08pm

laden with tropes from the nyt, wa-po, guardian set I might add...

who have been running with the same tactic for 2 years now to discredit various 'conspiracies'...

the MO is so well worn, blatant, and now bland, ir's just boring...

not to mention totally misplaced, the conspiracy is often there, ...if you totally reverse the players...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:02pm

Here's another mainstream media take on the Melbourne protests.
This time from News.com.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/thousands-of-protest...

Ben Harding, do you see this as being skewed or minimising the protest?

It seems straight down the line to me.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:05pm
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Again, is that true?

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Fair play on finding these two good articles to back up your experience. It is actually very hard for me to find any recent news article on google (no less) where the mainstream media or the government admit to their unfavorable depictions or analysis of social movements or protests.

The one clear example in my head I attempted to find was the press conference where Brad Hazzard and the NSW Police commissioner tried to say 2500 people attended the protests,when it was in fact 10,000+. Couldn't find it. The SMH actually white washed their original story of crowd numbers as a result of the backlash they received for misrepresenting the facts. I don't throw social media up as references, so I won't go there.

Essentially you are asking me to find an article which disproves something that you have found exists as your example. However it doesn't mean it doesn’t. Without throwing a heap of links at you or journal articles search on scholar or just google “Protest and media coverage” and you will soon find there is an inherent bias in reporting these protests and misrepresentation of the people at the rallies, skewing of the figures, and or focus solely on the destruction or negative aspects of the protest itself. Not all the time either as you have found, but this has been a systemic issue for a long time and still is to this day.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:08pm

its just the internet. maybe let it go.. to BD & Stok.

meanwhile re vaccine mandates.

https://theconversation.com/vaccine-mandates-for-healthcare-workers-shou...

".....The reason they should be abandoned is because they are now pointless.."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:11pm

And people are well and truly over it.
I've yet to speak to a vaxxer (and I'm talking pro-vaxxers) who is keen on a booster.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-27/nsw-records-29-covid-19-deaths/10...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:13pm
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Again, is that true?

Fair play on finding these two good articles to back up your experience. It is actually very hard for me to find any recent news article on google (no less) where the mainstream media or the government admit to their unfavorable depictions or analysis of social movements or protests.

The one clear example in my head I attempted to find was the press conference where Brad Hazzard and the NSW Police commissioner tried to say 2500 people attended the protests,when it was in fact 10,000+. Couldn't find it. The SMH actually white washed their original story of crowd numbers as a result of the backlash they received for misrepresenting the facts. I don't throw social media up as references, so I won't go there.

Essentially you are asking me to find an article which disproves something that you have found exists as your example. However it doesn't mean it doesn’t. Without throwing a heap of links at you or journal articles search on scholar or just google “Protest and media coverage” and you will soon find there is an inherent bias in reporting these protests and misrepresentation of the people at the rallies, skewing of the figures, and or focus solely on the destruction or negative aspects of the protest itself. Not all the time either as you have found, but this has been a systemic issue for a long time and still is to this day.

Fair enough.

I'm pretty much a mainstream media guy.

Listen to ABC radio most days, check out the Guardian and SMH online.

Will check out The Hill and Unherd fairly often, sometimes harder core anti-vax stuff just to see what the thinking is.

So I haven't experienced any minimisation or skewing at all.

Here's a typical Guardian article from the Melbourne protest https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/04/covid-vaccine-pro...

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:14pm
freeride76 wrote:

Here's another mainstream media take on the Melbourne protests.
This time from News.com.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/thousands-of-protest...

Ben Harding, do you see this as being skewed or minimising the protest?

It seems straight down the line to me.

Three good examples :) I don't agree that msm have reported accurately on these protests or community opposition. You do though, that's fine. Definitely not straight down the line for me.