Interesting things too

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 21 Nov 2019 at 2:21pm

For when one interesting things thread isn't enough.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm

Hey VJ, a fellow traveller I see. Mahabharata was such a great story/fable/history book.

Oppenheimer’s quote, from the Mahabharata, “Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds”.

The war included flying machines, and the weapons name was Pashupata.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 2:50pm

Udo, interesting link, to an engineering site so unlikely to be fake noos.

Sickaz, yes, hard to get your head around, but no, we won’t be tipped upside down and go backwards (although relatively, if we were tipped upside down we would seem to be going backwards around the sun.)

I could be wrong, but I think it is more about the earth’s axis, which is 23 something degrees off centre, will appear to move, showing a different part of the night sky due to earth’s journey around the sun having a wobble in it.

To help get your head around the idea of a ‘wobble’, check out where the moon rises on full moon each month and you will see it varies quite a lot. The path of the earth and moon’s journey around the sun has a similar wobble in it.

Don’t know how they calculated that the full wobble takes 27K years to go through. Some nasty maths there.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Dec 2020 at 8:47pm

Hey Batfink, it's just so interesting, isn't it? Merry Xmas to yourself and all the SN crew, hope you had a good Boxing day too.

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's assume that people did not know the affects of radiation until it was most recently created - say maybe after 1900 in small amounts, certainly after about 1945 in terms of deployed weapons. Given the Mahabharata describes very similar shapes to the weapon's use and very similar afflictions from the weapon such as radiation sickness and death, what are the odds a) the Mahabharata was actually written after 1945 (very remote!) b) they fluked the description of both what the weapon looked like and the results of radiation sickness, mortality and fallout - ie, it's total co-incidence, or c) they are accurately describing what they saw and describing it as best they could with the language they had at the time.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Sunday, 27 Dec 2020 at 2:42am

This forum is excellent, thanks batfink for the help when my mind was derailing. And the Mahabharata is now priority reading for me.

That quote with the line “destroyer of worlds” has been used by Dan Carlin of Hardcore History as the title for a podcast history of the A bomb. Well worth a listen, as are all of the Hardcore History podcast, they are amazing and I have been addicted to them since discovering them. On Spotify if anyone is interested.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 27 Dec 2020 at 1:21pm

Hey Sickaz, as a primer for that I'd suggest the opening chapters of the Bhagavad Gita

https://asitis.com/1/1.html

Starts there, Arjuna and Krysna observe the armies before the Battle of Kurukshetra and make some profound philosophical/religious observations. Just read the bolded translation and flick to the next verse, otherwise you will get entangled in the explanation without enjoying the original text. That's the version I have at home; as with Christian religions there are different interpretations. My take is that a group of cousins end up going to war - we might call this a Greek Tragedy - and the Gita describes Krysna's viewpoint of it, for he also is a combatant on the field. (It's a time of less 'peace and love' being set in age of Aries or age of Taurus). The book later outlines the path for a good, moral life, much like the very profound Matthew 5 in our own Bible.

The opening of the Gita is short and sweet, describes reincarnation, karma, etc Krysna is a very cool character/divine godhead. He's the Jesus Christ of an earlier epoch of the great wheel.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 6:43pm

china is buildung a 'multifunctional fishing base' just kilometres from australian maritime borders

'multifunctional' ...that certainly broadens options...

"...It's just an MOU..."

they said...

again...

https://m.facebook.com/KattersAusParty/photos/a.171238079725269/17302705...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm

Sack-mo still MIA on this one?

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 7:16pm

He's praying for divine intervention Guy, seems to be on a roll lately so gonna give it another shot

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 8:22pm

Saw this last week was all over various news outlets.

Pretty unfair to criticise Scomo though it's a deal between China and PNG and we have no idea what is happening behind the scenes with talks between us and PNG to maybe make them rethink things or voice our concerns, and obviously Scomo would have to be very careful at the moment not to stir China up anymore.

It is scary though, not just from a security perspective but from a fish stocks perspective for the region.

BTW. Sypkan what are you doing following a Bob Katters FB page? :D

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 10:44pm

Info, pretty sure we give PNG 100s of mill each year in foreign aide so if our govt doesn’t what is happening under every rock up there they are asleep at the wheel. Morrison should read the what’s what to the PNG govt, .... the way our foreign aide budget has been successively slashed by the LNP over the last 20+ years would make interesting reading.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 5:29am

The question is : How do you outspend China when it comes to bribery and corruption ?

We can’t even rely on the Victorian premier to show loyalty to Australia yet now it’s our fault if PNG politicians are bought off under our noses ?

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 9:05am

Have you got him yet Blowin? You've been on the march for a long time now that's for sure.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 10:10am

Yep Guy exactly we don't know the talks and negotiations behind the scene, you can guarantee what we know is just the tip of the iceberg.

And 100% you would expect talks would involve foreign aid that's basically we help you in this area but it comes with expectations.

But yeah like Blowin says

"The question is : How do you outspend China when it comes to bribery and corruption ?"

Even if we have to engage in behind the scene dodgy stuff, we can never compete with China.

This whole China expanding around the world thing is truely scary the whole world and all our leaders labor and liberal are guilty of allowing this too happen.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 12:18pm

PNG , Fiji Northwest WA. Australia has every mineral in abundance the land
the space the resoursers for China to succeed in fuelling world domination.
To me its setting up a pre planed invasion in the next few years pray im wrong.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 2:22pm

Agree

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 4:10pm

US is awake

https://media.defense.gov/2020/Dec/17/2002553481/-1/-1/0/TRISERVICESTRAT...

read and understand, hot off the press. We won't be alone and overrun.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 30 Dec 2020 at 8:19am

Interesting indeed VJ -Wonder if local media picks this up.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 30 Dec 2020 at 9:03am

This passage from the text particularly relevant to Australia :

“In the event of conflict, China and Russia will likely attempt to seize territory before the United States and its allies can mount an effective response—leading to a fait accompli. Each supports this approach through investments in counter-intervention networks. Each seeks to shift the burden of escalation by reinforcing annexed territory with long-range precision-strike weapons and make a military response to an invasion seem disproportionately costly.“

hirsute's picture
hirsute's picture
hirsute Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 12:13pm

Wonder how long before the historian has an unfortunate "accident"?
No truer words spoken.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 Jan 2021 at 12:58pm

Interesting to see the government make a slight change to the national anthem, I'm sure it wont be enough for many, but personally i think it's a good change, just a slight one that doesnt mess with things too much but is a little more inclusive.

The change is only one word from:

"For we are young and free" to "For we are one and free".

ABC Article on it here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-31/advance-australia-fair-national-a...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 1 Jan 2021 at 2:51pm

For we are hung and free

No underpants 2021

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 5:29am

Australians all lets not rejoice
We sold to XI and LI
with golden soil we flogged for spoil
Our gas fields sold near free
Our land abounds in natures gifts
You beauty, the rich can share
In history's page let Anzacs rage
Advance the pollies Fare.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 10:56am

Walmart has a few decent late Christmas presents available in case you forgot anyone
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ancient-Times-Plate-X-of-De-Figuris-Veneris-b...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 11:13am

^^ Old mate's not doing to bad.. Ha.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 11:28am

I see you’ve got an appreciation of fine art Craig.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Saturday, 2 Jan 2021 at 11:56am

Here's some more nonsense.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 5 Jan 2021 at 6:41pm

Judge Rules against Julian's US Extradition..
Not what it seems + US will appeal.

Judge is not arguing US charges but prisoner rights.
UK/Aust have no death penalty to fear...
Such a prisoner may take their own life in simply fearing such a Death sentence.
Indeed Assange suffers Anxiety & deep depression & is on a suicide watch.

Judge ruled that death sentence is too oppressive resulting in mental harm.
Team is looking to free Julian on Bail...

It is said the Epstein Suicide served as a warning of real case example.
2018 Lauri Love ( Computer Hacker / Activist ) being a better UK > US example.

News report has more detail...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/julian-assange-extradition-w...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021 at 6:05pm

Welllllllllllll...

that was a refreshing break.

Did I miss anything?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021 at 6:14pm

A feel-good animal story for today: what do you get if you cross drug lords, "Free Willy" and hippos?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/11/invasive-h...

Don't worry about the bloke running around trying to knacker them, their reproductive rate wins.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021 at 6:27pm

"What do you get if you cross drug lords, "Free Willy" and hippos?"

An Ayn Rand apologist?

'Dismal Science' Libertarian?

CPA?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021 at 6:59pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 12 Jan 2021 at 9:48pm

I'm paraphrasing but "Assange was doing anything he could to avoid extradition to the United States."

Well duh!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 17 Jan 2021 at 12:26pm

Girls Can’t Surf

Brilliant doco. Well worthy.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 11:38am

A mate's easy-to-read-and-digest piece on Modern Monetary Theory.

https://psa.asn.au/the-end-of-austerity/?fbclid=IwAR1Tvw_EDROTxaGb_tDBgk...

Velocity Johnno, or as Info put it "someone knowledgeable", out there?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 1:22pm

Hi, been away for a while
Free money sounds awesome (esp to surfers/snowboarders etc)
I was reading on the weekend a take-down of it - but it was not so much why it's wrong, but more on the consequences, ie the bond market consequences. Some of you may note last week the US 10Y threatened and surpassed 1.5%, there was an underbid 7Y auction, and spikes in yield occurred also afar in Japan and in Oz. Even tho the RBA threw 3Bn at it on Monday, and again on Thursday

MMT is fine until no-one will buy your bonds. Then it's Weimar time. I'll have a look at the vid later.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 2:39pm

Vid??

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 2:45pm

how funny is this...

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/propaganda-crash-world-economic-foru...

are these people that detached from reality?

or just incompetent?

propaganda parody?

bloody hilarious

the 'conspiracy theorists' rejoice...

again...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 4:45pm

I agree Sypkan, those nutters at zerohedge sure are pretty detached from reality.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 6:29pm

They do a really good bond article tho

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 6:53pm

Ah Facto, I saw the pic quickly and thought it was a yt link
Will read

OK, the text is persuasive. Just get governments to directly fund themselves through Treasury. Essentially, it conjures currency out of thin air, much like the primary dealer-gov bond mechanism we currently exist under. He also mentioned some criticism of the theory, some valid points. Inflation would have to be watched.

For me, I'd say why not? Give it a try. It would be nice to have more opportunity for meaningful local social work and just get paid. Imagine if we ripped out all the Marram grass, and how good the barrels would be afterward. It would include more people in the loop of the money printing. (Imagine the opportunity for graft! VJ's Bongalong coastal landcare group... just got a massive grant. OH YEAH, we riding in 200 series Cruisers to the beach now...)

Probably a good time to throw it to the floor - what does everyone think would happen if money was infinite (for the right purposes)? How would you adjust to the situation?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 8:15pm

MMT is a no brainer. And maybe just a matter of time.

The US have proved that you can create money out of thin and have no limit on the so-called 'debt-ceiling'. Large public debt does not leadeth to disaster.

Just keep printing...carefully.

Whether we could implement it here anytime soon is debatable, as it would involve helping the poor and working class, and that's not LNP's thang.
They just love a good 'debt and deficit' disaster...and if it was only up to them, austerity.

Straight up they could easily MMT more money into major infrastructure and public housing.
A decent raise to the unemployed and increased standard of living for all would be great.

The stroke of a pen has transmuted into the click of the keystroke.

We have the technology to make money.
Whether sovereign Treasury or Cryptocurrency
Management and inflation control, are the key.
QE for the people, instead of the wealthy.

How good would that be!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 1 Mar 2021 at 9:29pm

How can it be a no brainer when economist all view MMT completely differently, to some it's the holy grail and to others it's complete hocus pocus.

Personally i have no idea what to believe, i don't trust either side as the so called experts on anything to do with money the economy, real estate etc are wrong as often as they are correct.

Look at how wrong they were about the real-estate market in 2020, something you think would be easy to predict.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 1:13am

so did the tweet, ...err, ...delete... happen or not jq?

tweet, ...barage of comments, ...caught with pants down, ...delete...

it was pretty widely reported, zerohedge just appear to be reporting reality actually, ...'facts'... if you will...

pretty clear who's detached from reality... the usual suspects, dancing around the fairy garden...

again....

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 1:10am

and since when did the WEF become the good guys?

great globalists of the world unite!!

as I've said before... some very strange bedfellows getting around these days...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 11:57am

From the MMT article above:

Dr Steven Hail, economics lecturer at Adelaide University:

“What we are going through at the moment is the most rapid paradigm shift in economic thinking in the history of the discipline...What MMT offers is not a ‘free lunch’. All it says is we have no lack of Australian dollars. There can never be a crisis related to the funding of national debt because the government is a monetary sovereign. That is just a pure fact.”

And further from old mate author:

"The backlash to MMT’s rising popularity is in full swing among those wedded to the status quo. When ABC finance guru Alan Kohler discussed the merits of MMT in June, Liberal MP Tim Wilson took to Twitter, asking if he ran his personal finances by incurring endless debt. “Governments are not households” Kohler fired back and the lazy analogy has not carried the same impact since."

Inflation monitoring and mechanism control concerns notwithstanding, the main roadblock is political will?

Who benefits by the way we do 'economics' right now, and for the last 4+ decades?

'Business as usual' ain't cutting it, if it ever has. Well, for the 'little people'.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 12:06pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 7:10pm

Hey crew, interesting responses.

I'd caution one thing with it: history is replete with moments where someone invents a "new" way of funding society (eg John Law, eg Hjalmar Schacht and 'MEFObills' - look that one up, depression turns to growth without inflation...) Inevitably there will come a moment where the new brilliance is revealed as something more mundane - often with chaotic results. There is nothing new under the sun etc etc.

I give my approval as I realise we are in the midst of a global inflationary storm unprecedented in human history. Fiat gonna be printed anyway. Never before has it gone on everywhere at once... the horror stories of the crashes/hyperinflations are always somewhere far away or sometime long ago... We seem to forget the experiences of beyond a lifetime ago. So we might as well give the little guy a bit. Just be prepared to pillory the bold new economists of this strategy, when it all washes out.

The only other point I'd make about it, is that control of where the funds will be spent will be government-driven in this model. So, a command-economy, much like the Soviet Union. Decisions will be based on someone's definition of 'societal good' and from the top, down - rather than a bottom, up market where millions of individual decisions fund projects that risk capital to deliver the most wanted goods and services to the most people. Organic this new way won't be.

Therefore, decisions on economic projects that are worthy (such as my marram grass apocalypse) will be entirely political, and not market-based. As such, there will be opportunity for great distortions and mis-allocations of funds. For the unscrupulous, the ability to game the system (seen others do this with gov grants/tenders to huge benefit and large property portfolios already) will be very tempting.

But maybe they will do good. Not all government decisions are bad, or inefficient. Take some of the amazing medical stuff, for example.

I'm semi-serious about taking out the marram grass by the way. Barrels for our grandchildren.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 2 Mar 2021 at 10:53pm

so, basically the argument for MMT is...

we've printed money for over 10 years and the sky hasn't fallen (yet) ...so let's print more money... no problem...

or the long (short) version...

we tried capitalism for a while, around a century or so depending on the location, capitalism with nice stuff came along (social services) when things were going well... then things weren't going so well, so we sold public assetts... land, rights, minerals, essential services etc. (including social services), to squeeze more juice from a lemon... public assetts run low, and inequality increases... people aren't overly happy, stock market crashes (2008)...

countries print money as a 'stop gap' measure to avert 'disaster'... printing money preserves the wealth of those that have it... (real estate, stocks prices etc.) and basically devalues the little money that assett poor people barely have... assett prices are preserved or increased, but... governments and fed don't really get results they expected... so... 'print more money!'...

governments and fed don't really get results they expected... so... 'print more money!'...

governments and fed don't really get results they expected... so... 'print more money!'...

and on, and on, and on it goes... for twelve years...

the sky hasn't fallen (for the assett rich)

enter MMT (basically printing money...)

what could possibly wrong?